Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 281 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8401 of 8427 Old 05-20-2015, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It seems their own marketing department is their company's greatest threat.
The same marketing department that called SlingTV “rickety, fickle and barely reliable” on a Facebook post April 7th in response to NCAA Basketball issues. And now they are excited to announce SlingTV will be available with the DVR+.
promike and Kelson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8402 of 8427 Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Facebook/Twitter gaffs are becoming more an more common across all industries. Sometimes you have to wonder who they let loose on the keyboards.

I was wondering if anyone had made any progress in "rooting" the DVR+? Would be nice to SSH in, install Samba and get it to share the recording drive as a network share. The capability has to be there if it's a linux based OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
IIRC, this was a feature of the MyBook line, but not of the Elements line from WD. They encrypt the drive. I have stayed away from the MyBook line for this reason.
Good to know - thanks! I may go with the Elements line for my DVR+ in that case.
post #8403 of 8427 Old 05-20-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy View Post
Facebook/Twitter gaffs are becoming more an more common across all industries. Sometimes you have to wonder who they let loose on the keyboards.

I was wondering if anyone had made any progress in "rooting" the DVR+? Would be nice to SSH in, install Samba and get it to share the recording drive as a network share. The capability has to be there if it's a linux based OS.

Good to know - thanks! I may go with the Elements line for my DVR+ in that case.
I wonder if it is encrypted. I don't see any reason for that.

I wonder if they are using a HDD with too many bad sectors to sell as a standalone. They maybe using sophisticated bad sector mapping within the USB to SATA interface,
post #8404 of 8427 Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
I wonder if it is encrypted. I don't see any reason for that.

I wonder if they are using a HDD with too many bad sectors to sell as a standalone. They maybe using sophisticated bad sector mapping within the USB to SATA interface,
The reason is simple: the feature targeting buyers who need protection of data from stealing.

Bad sectors remapping is internal feature of FW all modern drives. I haven't seen any info from the controller's manufacturers about your idea.
post #8405 of 8427 Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The question been asked and have been answered a few times, include a thread about previous [better] model TR-50 aka dtvpaldvr aka cm7k dvr.
In short - forget it!
post #8406 of 8427 Old 05-20-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
The reason is simple: the feature targeting buyers who need protection of data from stealing.

Bad sectors remapping is internal feature of FW all modern drives. I haven't seen any info from the controller's manufacturers about your idea.
Yes, I think you're right.
post #8407 of 8427 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
On Win 7, I run Ext2Fsd every time after plugging the drive in. Otherwise, the drive does not get a drive letter assigned.
In contrast to that, I thought that maybe I should have run E2F before connecting the drive. Curious. Anyway, it may be a while before it's convenient again to try; it would help if I didn't need to go thru the whole confirmation process after reconnecting the drive to the DVR. It's a personal thing, but it would be nice if the DVR would just accept the drive as soon as I plug it in. A feature that probably won't show up in any future firmware updates.

Thanks, RTPVid.
JHBrandt likes this.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #8408 of 8427 Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Assigning Drive Letters to USB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Open the DVR+ Lister’s Help file, and go to the last page (8), Questions and Anwsers.
Scroll down to item “11. How to assign drive letters to a DVR+ USB HDD in Windows using Ext2Fsd?”.
Please let me know if this gets you up and running, and especially if you see where it can be clarified or improved.
Thanks, Pachinko. Step 1 for me: DL and install latest version of your Lister. Then, I'll give this another try as soon as I can.
pachinko likes this.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #8409 of 8427 Old Today, 09:25 AM

DVR+ arrived yesterday! Got it all set-up, it works great - so easy to use! Also wanted to mention that the WiFi works with the TP-Link TL-WN823N (smaller version of the TL-WN822N) which I purchased from NCIX (link here) for CAD$17.99 after price matching with NewEgg.ca - much cheaper than the US$40 official adapter!

I had read somewhere that the Tuner in the DVR+ doesn't require a booster, but when I set it up using a booster was the only way I could pull all the local channels using my tiny antenna so I'm not sure why people say that. Really happy and looking forward to the Linear Internet Channels, hopefully at least some of them work in Canada, might have to use a VPN!
post #8410 of 8427 Old Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
DVR+ arrived yesterday! Got it all set-up, it works great - so easy to use! Also wanted to mention that the WiFi works with the TP-Link TL-WN823N (smaller version of the TL-WN822N) which I purchased from NCIX (link here) for CAD$17.99 after price matching with NewEgg.ca - much cheaper than the US$40 official adapter!

I had read somewhere that the Tuner in the DVR+ doesn't require a booster, but when I set it up using a booster was the only way I could pull all the local channels using my tiny antenna so I'm not sure why people say that. Really happy and looking forward to the Linear Internet Channels, hopefully at least some of them work in Canada, might have to use a VPN!
The reason YOU need a booster is because YOU use a tiny little (presumably indoor) antenna. If you have a robust outdoor antenna, you shouldnt need a booster unless you are feeding many devices and splitting the signal many times.
post #8411 of 8427 Old Today, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
The reason YOU need a booster is because YOU use a tiny little (presumably indoor) antenna. If you have a robust outdoor antenna, you shouldnt need a booster unless you are feeding many devices and splitting the signal many times.
Yes! The antenna I'm using is terrible, so that is why, you are correct. I unfortunately cannot put up an outdoor antenna due to the rules in the housing complex I live, but I plan to put an antenna up in my attic - I've created another thread asking for suggestions: Langley, BC: Antenna to pick up Canada and US channels in 6-7ft 4th Story Attic
post #8412 of 8427 Old Today, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Yes! The antenna I'm using is terrible, so that is why, you are correct. I unfortunately cannot put up an outdoor antenna due to the rules in the housing complex I live, but I plan to put an antenna up in my attic - I've created another thread asking for suggestions: Langley, BC: Antenna to pick up Canada and US channels in 6-7ft 4th Story Attic
My personal experience is that its tuners are stronger than those in the old DTV Pal. But regardless, I do use an inexpensive amplifier because even though my antenna is directional and pretty strong, it's still an indoor antenna and most broadcast towers are 45 miles away.

4th story should make things pretty easy.
CanadaJimmy likes this.
post #8413 of 8427 Old Today, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Lets Get Back to the Important Stuff

Enough of the dancing around the other topics that all these newbies coming out of the woodwork are posting (starting to wonder if they are CM employees asked by management to change the subject on this forum).

Lets get to what all of us DVR+ users are really interested in. That promised new firmware release that now supposedly fixes over 50 bugs and offers some other improvements. In addition to a Linear launch they had to hold all this up for adding something else they know we would like?

This all does not make much sense to me. In addition their facebook page is not showing any comments from them since 5/15 and little in the way of comments from users.

They never identified the 50 bug fixes and the other improvements. Why not make a firmware release with this really important stuff in it that ALL current owners would truly benefit from instead of holding up a release for this so called something else they know we would like and release this something else at a later date? Would make too much sense wouldn't it!
post #8414 of 8427 Old Today, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
They never identified the 50 bug fixes and the other improvements. Why not make a firmware release with this really important stuff in it that ALL current owners would truly benefit from instead of holding up a release for this so called something else they know we would like and release this something else at a later date? Would make too much sense wouldn't it!
I do agree with what you're saying, but before they push a release to live, they probably have to do a lot of deep QA testing first, I'm guessing they just want to do all the testing in one go rather than do two lots of testing.

Really depends how long we will have to wait for linear TV though, if it's several months, then I agree they should just do a release right now for the bugs. It doesn't sound like it will be that long based on those facebook posts, but like others have said CM aren't too predictable with timelines. Looks like Channel Master operate on Valve Time.
post #8415 of 8427 Old Today, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'd really like to see CM roll something out with linear and Sling. That "other" DVR is now pricing their OTA model at $399 with lifetime. On facebook they are calling this pricing "sustainable" which seems to suggest they are considering this as permanent pricing

https://www.tivo.com/roamioota2176
Kelson likes this.
post #8416 of 8427 Old Today, 04:57 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
I'd really like to see CM roll something out with linear and Sling. That "other" DVR is now pricing their OTA model at $399 with lifetime. On facebook they are calling this pricing "sustainable" which seems to suggest they are considering this as permanent pricing

That could certainly force pricing competition between Channel Master and Tivo. Tivo certainly has more name recognition.
post #8417 of 8427 Old Today, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
That could certainly force pricing competition between Channel Master and Tivo. Tivo certainly has more name recognition.
I think if this price is "sustained" as suggested by Tivo, then I think CM may have to drop pricing a bit on the DVR+. Right now with that pricing a whole home situation with three tv's from Tivo would be around $700. Right now a whole home situation with three tv's from CM would be $750 and you would still need a hard drive to record to...
post #8418 of 8427 Old Today, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 68
tivo OTA deal

Quote:

From Tivo facebook:
LeTroy Carr Is this a sale or the new price?
2 hrs
TiVo This is a promotional sale price while supplies last. The original price ($49 + $14.99 monthly service) is still available as well.

From My face... CM needs to deliver what they have been hinting at.. or this user is going to make the switch..
post #8419 of 8427 Old Today, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Right now a whole home situation with three tv's from CM would be $750 and you would still need a hard drive to record to...
I would hardly call it "whole home" unless the 3 units can talk to each other.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8420 of 8427 Old Today, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
From Tivo facebook:
LeTroy Carr Is this a sale or the new price?
2 hrs
TiVo This is a promotional sale price while supplies last. The original price ($49 + $14.99 monthly service) is still available as well.

From My face... CM needs to deliver what they have been hinting at.. or this user is going to make the switch..
From the original post: We didn't "break the internet" with our last price test, but we know you all got excited about it. Here is our latest, at a more sustainable price

The key word is "sustainable" which seems to hint at this is a price point they feel they can sell the unit at and still turn a profit. Also at the same time likely killing any hope for the unit to show up at the $299 price point again.

Last edited by Warner2Bruce; Today at 06:20 PM. Reason: added info
post #8421 of 8427 Old Today, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I would hardly call it "whole home" unless the 3 units can talk to each other.
Agreed but one option for creating a similar effect right now for C.M. with regards to whole home. "Whole home" in that if you want to watch in different areas record on more than 1 box. It is the cheapest option for CM users to accomplish something similar unless you got in on the Slingbox 500 sale recently...
post #8422 of 8427 Old Today, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Agreed but one option for creating a similar effect right now for C.M. with regards to whole home. "Whole home" in that if you want to watch in different areas record on more than 1 box. It is the cheapest option for CM users to accomplish something similar unless you got in on the Slingbox 500 sale recently...
Not even close to similar. Three independent units on three TV's in different rooms with no communication between them. They don't even have to be DVR+'s to achieve the same functionality. Back in the day, if you had 3 VCR's on three different TV's would you claim that was similar to a whole home VCR solution?

I doubt people with multiple DTV Pals and/or CM-7000's are saying they have something resembling whole home DVR.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; Today at 07:33 PM.
post #8423 of 8427 Old Today, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 69
CM is at it again! About an hour ago on their facebook page, they said:

Quote:
Bientôt, Pronto... Soon! Linear is coming, folks. We hear you and we are just as anxious. No, it's not "months" away!
post #8424 of 8427 Old Today, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Not even close to similar. Three independent units on three TV's in different rooms with no communication between them. They don't even have to be DVR+'s to achieve the same functionality. Back in the day, if you had 3 VCR's on three different TV's would you claim that was similar to a whole home VCR solution?

I doubt people with multiple DTV Pals and/or CM-7000's are saying they have something resembling whole home DVR.
You are completely missing the point. Of course it is not the same technology as Tivo uses. I was never claiming it was. I was simply saying that if used in that way it creates a similar effect. And yes a Slingbox 500 for the DVR+ also creates a similar effect.
post #8425 of 8427 Old Today, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
CM is at it again! About an hour ago on their facebook page, they said:
I love the responses.
They just keep asking for it.
That's the problem with facebook and the other social stuff -- even though you have nothing to say, you are compelled to write something.

- kelson h

post #8426 of 8427 Old Today, 08:29 PM

dlna for whole house distribution

ABI Research Study Now Available on the Role of DLNA’s VidiPath for Transforming Subscription Content Delivery in Today’s Multiscreen Environment

News Highlights:

DLNA’s VidiPath Certified devices expected to achieve more than 70 percent penetration of U.S. cable TV households subscribing to advanced services by 2020.
Guidelines also expected to play key role in supporting new service delivery models, cutting deployment costs while meeting evolving consumer expectations.
ABI sees additional VidiPath opportunities to further unify media service delivery to personal and leased devices across multiple service provider networks.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...g#.VV_zkfl3nIU
post #8427 of 8427 Old Today, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do agree with what you're saying, but before they push a release to live, they probably have to do a lot of deep QA testing first, I'm guessing they just want to do all the testing in one go rather than do two lots of testing.
You did craziest suggestion ever!
Perhaps you never wrote a program,not telling about embedded FW.

I will tell you - it's worst scenario for QA or any tester!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page