Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 282 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #8431 of 8444 Unread 05-23-2015, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I've posted exclusive list of vid_pid data compatible adapters and we had extensive discussion about the wifi adapters - take a look back into the thread, perhaps you'll find desired model aimed by gathered knowledge
Sorry, my searching skills are lacking. I did search the thread before posting looking for anyone that had successfully connected an adapter at 5GHz but was unable to find any posts. One person said they had a Realtek RTL8811AU USB wifi dongle that connected at 5GHz on their PC but that it was untested on the DVR+. That was the closest I could find. Other WIFI dongles mentioned in the thread only seem to support a frequency range of 2.4-2.4835GHz though they do support it with wireless N.

If Channelmaster is going to be adding a lot more streaming content to the DVR+ I hope to be able to find a 5GHz wifi adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 8444 Unread 05-24-2015, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendter View Post
Sorry, my searching skills are lacking. I did search the thread before posting looking for anyone that had successfully connected an adapter at 5GHz but was unable to find any posts. One person said they had a Realtek RTL8811AU USB wifi dongle that connected at 5GHz on their PC but that it was untested on the DVR+. That was the closest I could find. Other WIFI dongles mentioned in the thread only seem to support a frequency range of 2.4-2.4835GHz though they do support it with wireless N.

If Channelmaster is going to be adding a lot more streaming content to the DVR+ I hope to be able to find a 5GHz wifi adapter.
I'm sorry to hear about your insufficient searching skill. As you informed now, you could easy to find relevant posts - select by autor, add "vid pid" as keywords and start reading.
There is no direct answer to your particular question - you must absorb basic knowledge about compatibility K77 and Wifi adapters. Then you must contact with mfgs about an adapter with particular chip and your desired band. Check its vid/pid by posted a list here. If it's there - buy it and post a report here. On both outcomes!
post #8433 of 8444 Unread 05-24-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Easiest thing would probably be to get a wifi to ethernet bridge that supports 5ghz, set it up on a PC, then use it with the DVR+'s ethernet port.
Donald1800 likes this.
post #8434 of 8444 Unread 05-24-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy View Post
Easiest thing would probably be to get a wifi to ethernet bridge that supports 5ghz, set it up on a PC, then use it with the DVR+'s ethernet port.
That would be the easy route, but may cost much more. I can suggest three devices. The ASUS EA-N66R is the most powerful but only supports one RJ-45 connection. It also has a simple UI. The Netgear EX-6200 supports 5 RJ-45 connections and the Linksys WUMC710 supports 4 RJ-45 connections. They can be harder to configure and are not quite as powerful. If there are more than one devices needing a high speed, high power 802.11ac interface, the extra cost may be worth it. After they are configured I have found them very reliable. Of course, the USB method doesn't need power and is supported by the DVR+. I doubt 5Ghz would be such an advantage in the low volume needed, and I use 2.4GHz for my printer.

In this world of laptops, iPads, smart phones, and heavy use, it's a messy world. Every advantage helps.
MikeBiker likes this.
post #8435 of 8444 Unread 05-24-2015, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I appreciate the help and private messages. My 2.4GHz network has been steadily degrading especially in the evenings. At last count there were 21 networks sharing the 2.4GHz band. Add to that the total network loss whenever someone turns on the microwave and I really want to get away from 2.4GHz for streaming.

I was hoping to get a 5GHz dongle for the DVR+ but at this point the easiest solution for me seems to be to run a MOCA bridge back to the router to give me some local RJ45 ports near the DVR+. Fortunately I have an unused coax cable between my router and living room.
post #8436 of 8444 Unread Yesterday, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendter View Post
I appreciate the help and private messages. My 2.4GHz network has been steadily degrading especially in the evenings.
Please check back when you have the MoCA running. I'm very curious if it will have any effect on time-of-day performance.
post #8437 of 8444 Unread Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I can confirm that these dual band adapters do NOT work:

Rosewill N900UBE
ASUS USB-AC56

Also, the 2.4GHz adapter Rosewill RNX-N180UBE does NOT work.

(These are all used on various PCs I have, so I just tried them out on the DVR+ for everyone's information.)
pachinko likes this.
post #8438 of 8444 Unread Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Starting to wonder whether there should be a separate sticky thread with all the tested WiFi adapters that work and do not work with this unit.
post #8439 of 8444 Unread Yesterday, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy View Post
Starting to wonder whether there should be a separate sticky thread with all the tested WiFi adapters that work and do not work with this unit.
The DVR+ has very specific wireless adapter drivers. There is no guarantee that an adapter that contains the proper chipset and works this month will have the same chipset and work next month or 3 months from now.
JoeKustra likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8440 of 8444 Unread Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
The DVR+ has very specific wireless adapter drivers. There is no guarantee that an adapter that contains the proper chipset and works this month will have the same chipset and work next month or 3 months from now.
I think you make a valid point for the generic adapters like the innovic, which are less predictable and more risky. For name brands though, changing chipsets means the manufacturer would have to provide different windows drivers for the same product, which would likely mean a new model number or revision. I think for the adapters made by TP-LINK for example the chipset is very unlikely to change silently.
post #8441 of 8444 Unread Yesterday, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Let's hope you are right.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8442 of 8444 Unread Yesterday, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend of mine purchased the DVR+ when it was $189 on March 30. It may have been a factory return.
She does not have a router, so only gets the Guide about 2 days out.
She has 1 TB WD Ultra HD that works fine.

So what's the problem? The problem is she sometimes can't record a series. But it's not the Guide that's the problem.
She will go to the Guide, pick out a program that repeats (say Charlie Rose), select it, hit record this program, then Record All Showings.
And it does not even record the program she's selected, much less future instances in the series. But if she just selects "Only Record this Program", then it will record that program.

So each day she has to manually select the programs to record. The strange thing is, she says sometimes the series do record.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

P.S. My DVR+ works perfectly.
post #8443 of 8444 Unread Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreMaven View Post
A friend of mine purchased the DVR+ when it was $189 on March 30. It may have been a factory return.
She does not have a router, so only gets the Guide about 2 days out.
She has 1 TB WD Ultra HD that works fine.

So what's the problem? The problem is she sometimes can't record a series. But it's not the Guide that's the problem.
She will go to the Guide, pick out a program that repeats (say Charlie Rose), select it, hit record this program, then Record All Showings.
And it does not even record the program she's selected, much less future instances in the series. But if she just selects "Only Record this Program", then it will record that program.

So each day she has to manually select the programs to record. The strange thing is, she says sometimes the series do record.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I’ve never tried to record anything without the Rovi Guide, so I don’t have any experience with this issue. However, if you’ve not tried a Cold Boot (remove power for a minute while in Standby mode with dim blue light), give it a try. A Cold Boot has fixed many other issues with the DVR+, and is the first thing to try for any DVR+ issue. If that fixes the problem, but later it returns, you may have to repeat the process on a regular basis.
post #8444 of 8444 Unread Today, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreMaven View Post
Is yours connected to the Internet and using the Rovi guide.

- kelson h

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread