Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How good is the signal strength and pixalization of this dvr+ compared to the 4-tuner ota roamio...I'm returning my roamio now because of the bad pixalization and loss of picture...strength goes to 83 max then down to lower60s....bad..my old dvrpal was WAY better...always in the 90s and NO pixaling out !....I gave that to my neighbor,me bad ? I'll get this dvr+ if it is better or might have to get HD Homerun tuner for pc[yuk]

Dickie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
How good is the signal strength and pixalization of this dvr+ compared to the 4-tuner ota roamio...I'm returning my roamio now because of the bad pixalization and loss of picture...strength goes to 83 max then down to lower60s....bad..my old dvrpal was WAY better...always in the 90s and NO pixaling out !....I gave that to my neighbor,me bad ? I'll get this dvr+ if it is better or might have to get HD Homerun tuner for pc[yuk]
I'm still new to the DVR+ myself but here's what I've found:
* You will get pixelation on weak signals, but it does better at trying to grab onto them. I receive one channel that is fine on the DVR+ but pixelated on the other TV upstairs which I had to use a booster on to get the same quality as the DVR+ got without a booster.
* The DVR+ tuner is very sensitive, but it needs a clear clean signal to work optimally.
* Since the Roamio has 4 tuners, it's effectively got a 4-way splitter inside the box, which can weaken the signal around -7db, the DVR+ only has two, so thats only a -3.5db loss - that might be enough to get a better picture.

So it really depends on your situation, it may work better, it may not, hard to guarantee since there are a lot of factors involved.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; 06-09-2015 at 09:29 AM.
post #8643 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
Thanks alex_ajb, I will try that, but is everyone downloading using a wired connection? What is strange, when I first got my CM DVR+ and updated the firmware, I did not have any trouble doing that using my wireless connection. Wonder what happened?
I've updated twice using wireless and this time I used a wired connection. The wired connection worked much better.

My hunch is that the DVR+ has very little tolerance for signal disturbance when its downloading an update. If the signal drops for even a fraction of a second the download fails. Most devices have workarounds in place for signal fluctuation but the DVR+ seems like it doesn't for updates.

A few ideas:
1: Obviously, updating via USB drive is the best way (whenever they update the website and provide it)
2: You could try to eliminate all wireless noise caused by other wifi devices (and microwaves etc) during the update process.
3: You might consider trying to use a wireless phone hotspot placed right next to the DVR+ to give it the strongest signal possible.
4: This is a bit extreme, but you could move the DVR+ to the router and set it up with a small screen next to the router temporarily to complete the process with a wired connection (likewise, if you have a friend with a wired setup, you could take it to their house and update it)
post #8644 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 09:28 AM

Yes I understand...but that Tivo was super sensitive....if the tuners in the dvr+ is as good as the dtvpal dvr, I'll be happy...any body agree on the pal and dvr+ tuners?
LenL likes this.

Dickie
post #8645 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Linear TV...bleh...sort of like expecting apple pie and ice cream for dessert but getting a few different colored jelly beans instead...however, I can see future potential as the market adapts from programming packages to a la carte programming. People are tired of paying for content that they never watch.
post #8646 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
I've updated twice using wireless and this time I used a wired connection. The wired connection worked much better.

My hunch is that the DVR+ has very little tolerance for signal disturbance when its downloading an update. If the signal drops for even a fraction of a second the download fails. Most devices have workarounds in place for signal fluctuation but the DVR+ seems like it doesn't for updates.

A few ideas:
1: Obviously, updating via USB drive is the best way (whenever they update the website and provide it)
2: You could try to eliminate all wireless noise caused by other wifi devices (and microwaves etc) during the update process.
3: You might consider trying to use a wireless phone hotspot placed right next to the DVR+ to give it the strongest signal possible.
4: This is a bit extreme, but you could move the DVR+ to the router and set it up with a small screen next to the router temporarily to complete the process with a wired connection (likewise, if you have a friend with a wired setup, you could take it to their house and update it)
Thanks blakepro for the advice, will try.
blakepro likes this.
post #8647 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
Linear TV...bleh...sort of like expecting apple pie and ice cream for dessert but getting a few different colored jelly beans instead...however, I can see future potential as the market adapts from programming packages to a la carte programming. People are tired of paying for content that they never watch.
Funny comparison, I know exactly what you mean! I think the biggest thing that bugs me is the lack of Guide data - kind of defeats the point of having it in the guide. I doubt Rovi could provide the data for those channels so it will require some custom data provider on CM's side. I hope we see this soon.

Also the FoodyTV channel just says "We're working on bringing you this channel" when I try and select it. Is this a region restriction because I'm in Canada I wonder?
post #8648 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy View Post

Also the FoodyTV channel just says "We're working on bringing you this channel" when I try and select it. Is this a region restriction because I'm in Canada I wonder?
I get the same message and I live in Utah.
Also, I get an error when I try to load the family friendly entertainment one.
post #8649 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Does the streamed programming mirror the network's pay-TV content? I know on Sling TV various shows on certain networks aren't available via streaming.
post #8650 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lol, yeah, I got a bunch of Linear TV Channels I DONT pay for and STILL wont watch...

Will anyone REALLY watch any of these channels? (After the newness wears off). I can't find any reason to watch and any of it...

CM was pressured to release a firmware upgrade after missing their release date...and we clearly got a "portion".

Still has a bug of not being able to search programming from PSIP data. (Channels without Rovi Data). Pissed this bug still exists. And I'm tired of the poor tuner quality...my TV has a better tuner in it.

My DVR+ is junk!

I'm working with a team to jailbreak the DVR+ to modify functionality. More to come!

Last edited by saidias; 06-09-2015 at 11:22 AM.
post #8651 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Looking in on this with anticipation. I almost jumped on the $199 deal but decided to wait as I would want Netflix and Amazon Prime at a minimum and would prefer Sling TV as an option (I'd get Sling TV during NFL season at least for MNF for example). My wife and I already go to some of the websites of these "channels" like Weathernation so having it direct in the guide and available with a click without a web browser is awesome. We don't watch much live TV at all but sometimes you just want to have "something" on in the background and putting it on a food or outdoor channel does the trick.

Been watching the DVR+ for a while after Microsoft announced no WMC anymore with Win 10. WMC is our OTA DVR and of course can do Netflix and such via web browser. But eventually Microsoft will kill off the WMC guide data (they have come close twice in the past year only to be saved at the last minute). The DVR+ already almost fills all our needs and will do if they even just add Netflix and Amazon Prime. Add those and I'll be a buyer for sure.
dishrag2 likes this.

Scott
post #8652 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by saidias View Post
I'm working with a team to jailbreak the DVR+ to modify functionality. More to come!
Don’t tease us like CM did! Give us more details, what are the major goals?
post #8653 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
Yes I understand...but that Tivo was super sensitive....if the tuners in the dvr+ is as good as the dtvpal dvr, I'll be happy...any body agree on the pal and dvr+ tuners?
Yes, I and a couple other commenters in the past have said the dual tuners are slightly better than the DTVPal's. But they are not necessarily amazing (see #8647 above).
post #8654 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Closed Caption Remote Button

Don't know what Channel Master was thinking when they remapped the CC button on this Firmware update. Now instead of having a 1-Click on-off Closed Caption button, It brings up the Audio/CC Menu instead! EPIC FAIL!

Why not let us control this in the settings menu? I can't even remember the last time I had to adjust the audio portion on a TV set-top box. Yes on a Blu-Ray player that makes sense, but no on a OTA DVR!

Z
post #8655 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
...And I'm tired of the poor tuner quality...my TV has a better tuner in it..
The DVR+ tuner is solid for me, and I'm in a semi-fringe area. And, I have it downstream of two splitters.

Last edited by RTPVid; 06-09-2015 at 01:14 PM.
post #8656 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 46
If anyone can report on whether the new software broke any of the basic DVR functionality, I would appreciate it. By "basic DVR functionality" I mean the ability to reliably record OTA programming from the schedule, play those programs back, and copy them to a PC as before. That's why I bought the DVR+... all the rest of this is window dressing / gravy / don't care much one way or the other.

The one comment I've seen so far is the one about channels having no sound until you fiddle with it ... obviously, with a scheduled recording, there is no one to fiddle with it, and a recording with no sound is a bit less than ideal!
post #8657 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
The DVR+ tuner is solid for me, and I'm in a semi-fringe area. And, I have it downstream of two splitters.
Ditto.

The DVR+ beats all of my built-in TV tuners.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #8658 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
If anyone can report on whether the new software broke any of the basic DVR functionality, I would appreciate it. By "basic DVR functionality" I mean the ability to reliably record OTA programming from the schedule, play those programs back, and copy them to a PC as before. That's why I bought the DVR+... all the rest of this is window dressing / gravy / don't care much one way or the other.

The one comment I've seen so far is the one about channels having no sound until you fiddle with it ... obviously, with a scheduled recording, there is no one to fiddle with it, and a recording with no sound is a bit less than ideal!
I think it's more of a sound output issue. The sound is still there and being recorded because say you back up and the sounds starts to work, it doesn't then turn off when it catches up to what you were first seeing. So you don't have to worry about it.
post #8659 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post
Don't know what Channel Master was thinking when they remapped the CC button on this Firmware update. Now instead of having a 1-Click on-off Closed Caption button, It brings up the Audio/CC Menu instead! EPIC FAIL!
So they've put CC in the settings menu now? This is actually a bonus for me - I had no buttons on my universal remote for the CC button, so now with this change I'm not missing out on that hidden option.
post #8660 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I did the upgrade over ethernet last night and the upgrade process went smoothly. However, I get video but no audio on all of the internet channels. Suggestions?

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Velodyne F1200
post #8661 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmueller View Post
I did the upgrade over ethernet last night and the upgrade process went smoothly. However, I get video but no audio on all of the internet channels. Suggestions?
First thing, to a full power cycle where you turn it off, unplug, wait a minute, then restart.

If its still a problem, can you tell us what you are using for your sound? (HDMI, OPTICAL OUT, etc) and what your audio settings are on the DVR+?
post #8662 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
Ditto.

Poor tuner performance and lack of sensitivity has been well documented in THIS thread, and has been confirmed by CM in my support ticket.
post #8663 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Don’t tease us like CM did! Give us more details, what are the major goals?
As of this morning, we have the ability to add custom streaming feeds, and can watch recordings over the network via Plex.

Not releasing technical details. It will be a cat and mouse game
post #8664 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
As of this morning, we have the ability to add custom streaming feeds, and can watch recordings over the network via Plex.

Not releasing technical details. It will be a cat and mouse game
Plex support would be fantastic.

Are there permanent consequences to jailbreaking? or is it like jailbreaking an iPhone where you can pretty much go back to stock firmware any time you want with little consequence.
pachinko likes this.
post #8665 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
First thing, to a full power cycle where you turn it off, unplug, wait a minute, then restart.

If its still a problem, can you tell us what you are using for your sound? (HDMI, OPTICAL OUT, etc) and what your audio settings are on the DVR+?
Disconnected power for 60 seconds and the problem remains.

HDMI output
Digital audio setup:
HDMI: auto
Optical: multi
Midnight: on
post #8666 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_ajb View Post
Try the update via Flash Drive method. Download it from the Channel Master website, put it on the flash drive. Plug the flash drive into the DVR+, etc. I'm sure you can search past posts in this forum for better instructions on this method.

Ok, I jumped the gun. They haven't updated their own page. But when they do you can try this method here.
http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...oftware-Update

alex_ajb when i go to the link you provided, it is for an older update. Anyone have a link for the new update?

vincent
post #8667 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Lock and Unlock have been in the DVR menu for a long time, unless you mean they moved it and made it easier to get to?
Yeah, 'cept it didn't actually, ya know... do anything. I mean except put up a lock image. The machine would still happily delete a "locked" item--or an entire directory containing locked items. I was just experimenting with it the other night.

Maybe now it actually does something useful?

ETA: Glad I stopped in here to check before installing this update. The added "linear channels" are uninteresting, to me. And, even if they were interesting, lack of programming guide and recordability would make them of questionable utility, anyway. The change to the CC button would annoy me (and my wife).

All-in-all: I'll pass, I think.

Last edited by SEMIJim; 06-09-2015 at 05:33 PM.
post #8668 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Poor tuner performance and lack of sensitivity has been well documented in THIS thread, and has been confirmed by CM in my support ticket.
Well, let me join those who claim performance is very good. Better than my DTVPal DVRs, better than my Simple DVRs, better than any television in my home, and as good as my TiVos. This is based on side by side comparisons of reception quality and channels can results.
post #8669 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
Ditto.

The DVR+ tuner is not as good as my several year old Sony TV, and does not have nearly as good signal diagnostics, something that is important for OTA reception.
post #8670 of 9190 Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Yeah, 'cept it didn't actually, ya know... do anything. I mean except put up a lock image. The machine would still happily delete a "locked" item--or an entire directory containing locked items. I was just experimenting with it the other night.

Maybe now it actually does something useful?
You have to go into Settings, Parental Control, Pin Protection, and select Pin Required. Then the recordings that have been locked will require the PIN to delete or to play. There's other stuff in Parental Control that I haven't played with, so I can't speak to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
ETA: Glad I stopped in here to check before installing this update. The added "linear channels" are uninteresting, to me. And, even if they were interesting, lack of programming guide and recordability would make them of questionable utility, anyway. The change to the CC button would annoy me (and my wife).
I feel the same way about those items, and a couple more, and have not updated yet. But there has been one report that the 2TB limitation issue has been quietly fixed. Specifically, a 4TB drive formatted to its full capacity. And if you'd like to be able to update the Rovi guide at any time, there's a new menu item to do that. The CM Software Update page has still not been updated for 123R, so we don't have anything from CM on new features and bug fixes.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 06-09-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page