Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 295 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3292Likes

post #8821 of 14231 Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I could be wrong, but that seems like a way to make your router prohibit your access to a web site. I can do that too. I think the goal is to have the router block an IP address from getting to your computer, and then to anything connected to your network. This seems possible from what has been posted, but my router does not have that ability. While it does have a router "V-Chip" ability, it can't stop data from coming into my network. My browser can do that if I configure the IP or URL into it, such as to stop a specific pop-up or known malware. Perhaps by blocking the specified IP address you are preventing the DVR+ from telling the site it is ready for an update. It could be the reason the described method works? Just speculating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 14231 Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
... Perhaps by blocking the specified IP address you are preventing the DVR+ from telling the site it is ready for an update. It could be the reason the described method works? Just speculating.
Yes! Not only can't the DVR+ tell the site it's ready, but even if the site sends something to the DVR+, the DVR+ can't talk back to the site to say send me some more, or thanks I received everything!

My router can also block inbound traffic. See the attached screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inbound Filter.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	776609  
JoeKustra likes this.
post #8823 of 14231 Old 06-14-2015, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
@mann72 , the only way I’ve seen to install an old version is through the USB port.
Thanks, pachinko.

Also, I'm still 70+ pages/6 months behind in the thread and I haven't seen my answer yet. So, I'm just going to ask straight out as the first part is a simple yes, or no. (Though I will continue to read as I am learning a great deal.)

As noted in my previous post my DVR+ still has 111R software on it.

Does 114R offer an option to make the text on screen larger? Even if it's just the guide.

I currently have my PAL set on the largest setting. I see 1.5 hrs of guide data and 4 channels on screen at a time. The view on the DVR+ with 5 channels and 2.5 hrs of data is uncomfortably small to me. Also, there is no option to choose the size of the closed captions. They also are smaller than I am used to seeing on the PAL.

I figured out I can get the current information of a live show (or a recording) to view larger by using the bottom of the navigation circle but it's often not complete with no way to see the information after the ... cut.

I've been back and forth on my DVR options for months. I never suspected that so many options available on the DVRPAL would be absent or so different on the DVR+ (though I see the AUTO SAVE on recordings isn't necessary as the DVR+ doesn't auto delete (woo-hoo). I was a Comcast customer for 3 years when I lived in an apartment unable to receive OTA signal. The feature concerning the size of the guide, I miss most was also available on their STB.

I can get over small things like losing the ability to view slow motion and I might one day even get over the loss of the ability to see an approximation of hours I have left on the DVR+ but the size of the text on the menus and guides might be a deal breaker.

Also, my Rovi guide was acting funny earlier. Some sub-channels would often show the wrong network graphic while I was scrolling through the guide. (By that I mean the image would actually change while scrolling.)

Finally who provides these images? Rovi, CM, local networks or someone else? Many of mine were nearly transparent or had issues of another kind and were just down right ugly. I know that last part is terrible unspecific, I'm sorry. I ran out of data on my mobile broadband this morning and I haven't refilled it yet so I am unable to use the Rovi guide at the moment anyway.

Thank you all in advance, I am reading and learning in the thread but I am wondering if I'll ever get through to a current point before my first 30 days are up.

Back to reading.

Last edited by mann72; 06-14-2015 at 07:37 PM.

post #8824 of 14231 Old 06-14-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Assuming you don’t want 124R, I would definitely install 114R, as it fixed many operational issues of 111R. I’d locate that lost thumb drive, or get another small one (the largest update so far is only 73MB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann72 View Post
Does 114R offer an option to make the text on screen larger? Even if it's just the guide.

I currently have my PAL set on the largest setting. I see 1.5 hrs of guide data and 4 channels on screen at a time. The view on the DVR+ with 5 channels and 2.5 hrs of data is uncomfortably small to me. Also, there is no option to choose the size of the closed captions. They also are smaller than I am used to seeing on the PAL.
I don’t see anything to alter the text size in 114R, nor is there a way do adjust the size of the channel grid, and I doubt there’s a way in 124R.

Quote:
I figured out I can get the current information of a live show (or a recording) to view larger by using the bottom of the navigation circle but it's often not complete with no way to see the information after the ... cut.
This sounds easy enough, but I can’t adjust the size of the Show Info using the bottom of the navigation circle as you describe. Maybe I’m not understanding correctly, but by what you describe it’s not very practical anyway.

Quote:
I can get over small things like losing the ability to view slow motion and I might one day even get over the loss of the ability to see an approximation of hours I have left on the DVR+ but the size of the text on the menus and guides might be a deal breaker.
For Slow Motion, pause the video, then press Fast Forward once, twice, or 3 times. A 4th press returns to normal speed.

While the DVR+ does not estimate hours left, it does show the percentage of the disk space used. Press the DVR button, and near the upper left it shows the percentage used.

Quote:
Also, my Rovi guide was acting funny earlier. Some sub-channels would often show the wrong network graphic while I was scrolling through the guide. (By that I mean the image would actually change while scrolling.)

Finally who provides these images? Rovi, CM, local networks or someone else? Many of mine were nearly transparent or had issues of another kind and were just down right ugly. I know that last part is terrible unspecific, I'm sorry. I ran out of data on my mobile broadband this morning and I haven't refilled it yet so I am unable to use the Rovi guide at the moment anyway.
I would think that Rovi provides the network icons. I can’t recall if the network icons were an issue in 111R, but maybe that’s another reason to go to 114R. That said, and maybe this will help not only with the transparency of the graphics, but with the readability of the text too. That is, adjust the Transparency Setting to either High, or Solid. Go to Menu, Settings, User Preferences, Transparency.

PS, Yeah, this thread is quite large! I wouldn’t want to have recently discovered it and have to go through 9K of posts.

PS2, If you’re taking notes while reading this thread, jot down not only the post number, but the date, time, and member name. That’s because from time to time the post numbers change (when one or more post get deleted), but the date, time, and member name will always get you to the post. The links get messed up as well, and are highly dependent upon the members “post per page” value.

Last edited by pachinko; 06-14-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added PS2.
post #8825 of 14231 Old 06-14-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
It does not work for me. I have it blocked in my modem. If I open a tab and enter it into the address bar it comes up with a page that says Access Denied Page Blocked. But when the DVR+ goes to update, it does the update.
What exactly you did enter? IP or that site name?
post #8826 of 14231 Old 06-14-2015, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Assuming you don’t want 124R, I would definitely install 114R, as it fixed many operational issues of 111R. I’d locate that lost thumb drive, or get another small one (the largest update so far is only 73MB).
Yep, don't want 124R, the CC-toggle button change would miff all the household viewers. I know it sounds stupid but you get used to one button on and off and it sticks. Also, we're not streamers due to limited internet so while I personally would love some of the linear channels (at least for a few months) everyone else couldn't care less as long as they have their soaps and prime-time OTA.

Quote:
I don’t see anything to alter the text size in 114R, nor is there a way do adjust the size of the channel grid, and I doubt there’s a way in 124R.
Thanks for looking. Maybe it will be a consideration for a future update.

Quote:
I can’t adjust the size of the Show Info using the bottom of the navigation circle as you describe. Maybe I’m not understanding correctly, but by what you describe it’s not very practical anyway.
Less you not understanding and more me not being clear: I just meant when viewing the info of a currently airing show or a recording using the bottom of the nav wheel produces info for the show that is easier to read than the info one gets when just pressing info in the guide but as a downside it's truncated. Not that you can make that text larger. Sorry.

Quote:
For Slow Motion, pause the video, then press Fast Forward once, twice, or 3 times. A 4th press returns to normal speed.
Thank you, now I feel stupid. I was hitting skip, not FF. Can't even say that DVRPal was different, it's not.

Quote:
While the DVR+ does not estimate hours left, it does show the percentage of the disk space used. Press the DVR button, and near the upper left it shows the percentage used.
Yes, it does. It's not the same but it's there. I didn't have money for a new larger drive so I'm using something 5-10 years old with less than 500GB. I'll have to do the math later on how much HD I can record but I'll figure it out eventually. Like I said, it's an adjustment that will take time to get used to.

Quote:
I would think that Rovi provides the network icons. I can’t recall if the network icons were an issue in 111R, but maybe that’s another reason to go to 114R. That said, and maybe this will help not only with the transparency of the graphics, but with the readability of the text too.
Adjusted the transparency immediately this afternoon, I think it was the first thing I did. High seems to work well enough. THIS is one network I can remember that I can only see the dot of the I when viewing the icons. The PBS HD logo on the main PBS channel is another that is only partially visible. Oddly enough the second sub-channel is World but the guide just throws out a generic PBS logo that is completely visible.

I think the thumb drive was loaned out, I might have to just purchase another before I get it back. But updating the firmware is on the to-do list towards the top. Especially since the DVR Recording history/schedule doesn't have data that matches the guide. I have mid-day recording set on CBS for tomorrow and viewed on the guide they are correct but viewed in the DVR section they are displaying on the correct time and channel but the program name lists movies from the NBC sub-channel THIS.

Quote:
PS, Yeah, this thread is quite large! I wouldn’t want to have recently discovered it and have to go through 9K of posts.
Luckily, I have been around from the beginning (as a DVRPal user looking at upgrade options). So, I've read most bits more than once. It's mainly a refresher for things that I didn't absorb fully since I was only looking at the DVR+ as a possibility and never a certainty. The only thing I did that I'm grateful for now was downloading 114R in the last few weeks before the current update.

Thank you, again.

To-do list: finish thread, update firmware, and program this remote into the DISH 20.1 (I don't mind the one that was included with the box as much as I thought I was going to hate it, but it makes the new TV remote that I thought was cheap feeling feel like it's armored!) Of course it won't ever happen in that order.

Quote:
PS2, If you’re taking notes while reading this thread, jot down not only the post number, but the date, time, and member name. That’s because from time to time the post numbers change (when one or more post get deleted), but the date, time, and member name will always get you to the post. The links get messed up as well, and are highly dependent upon the members “post per page” value.
Thanks, I'll consider that for the future. I usually have great success searching AVS with Google (that's how I navigate DVRPal owners thread) and I usually remember usernames and date ranges, well enough but I would have wrote down, post numbers and not considered that they might change.

Last edited by mann72; 06-14-2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added in reply to pachinko's edit.
post #8827 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Yes! Not only can't the DVR+ tell the site it's ready, but even if the site sends something to the DVR+, the DVR+ can't talk back to the site to say send me some more, or thanks I received everything!

My router can also block inbound traffic. See the attached screenshot:
Works for me. I wish I had that feature. Maybe Netgear will add it next year.

Edit: oops. Found it under access control.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 06-15-2015 at 04:52 AM.
post #8828 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Update

Ok,
Well I thought I had recovered the programs.
I plugged the DVR back in, and they were all listed, but when I went to watch one of them later in the day, it said it "couldn't start the playback".

This appears to be true of all the recordings on the device EXCEPT the one that got recorded after I plugged the drive back in. That one plays fine.

In any case, I disconnected the drive again, so its not going to get worse while I work on it.

It appears to me that this is looking more like a disk problem and not something with the latest software release.

Note, because I don't have 15 posts yet, I can't respond to PMs you are sending me.

Thoughts on the "can't start playback" failure?
post #8829 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
EDIT: I used 192.168.0.1 as the address and it worked (thanks, Pachinko). If I've done everything correctly, the DVR should now be blocked and I can continue using the Rovi guide.
You haven't done it correctly. 192.168.0.1 is almost certainly your local network's (inside) Internet gateway address. That is to say: The network address through which everything must pass to get to anywhere on the Internet. Thus: While you (probably) blocked updating: You certainly blocked Rovi guide updates, as well.

Here is the (current) IP address for the host tr50.dishaccess.tv:

> host tr50.dishaccess.tv
tr50.dishaccess.tv is an alias for stbfw.echodata.tv.
stbfw.echodata.tv has address 67.148.153.225

So the address you want to block at your router is 67.148.153.225

Quote:
I have tried the ( tr50.dishaccess.tv ) that did not work, and in this quote there are two different ones listed ( 192.168.1.1 ) and ( 192.168.0.1 ) so does anyone know for sure?
192.168.1.1, like 192.168.0.1, is some user's local LAN's Internet gateway address. So: Neither. The address to block is 67.148.153.225. Currently, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
The DNS for tr50.dishaccess.tv redirects to stbfw.echodata.tv, ...
Technical nitpick: That's not a "redirect." The "true" name of that host is "stbfw.echodata.tv" "tr50.dishaccess.tv" is an alias (name) for that host.

> host tr50.dishaccess.tv
tr50.dishaccess.tv is an alias for stbfw.echodata.tv.
stbfw.echodata.tv has address 67.148.153.225
> host 67.148.153.225
225.153.148.67.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer stbfw.echodata.tv.

Anyway: Y'all want to block 67.148.153.225. Incoming or outgoing, LAN->WAN or WAN->LAN does not matter. Blocking that address, in either direction, achieves the same purpose: Disrupting communications between anything on your LAN and that server.

Caution: You'll notice I've several times written "tr50.disacess.tv's current IP address." If the DVR+ is doing the lookup by hostname, rather than IP addresss (which is the way I would have coded it), and if they move that server to a different IP address (which is trivial to do): The access to updates will return.

Quote:
Assuming you don’t want 124R, I would definitely install 114R, as it fixed many operational issues of 111R.
You got that right.

One would have throught CM or E* or whomever would've learned something from that. Guess not

Jim
dishrag2 likes this.

Last edited by SEMIJim; 06-15-2015 at 04:33 AM.
post #8830 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoucette View Post
...I've ordered a new drive and I'm going to see if I can copy from the old drive to the new drive.
I'll post updates as I don't want to claim there is a problem with the new release if its just a hardware problem on my HD.
I highly recommend reading post 7195, by JHBrandt, on 01-17-2015, 09:22 PM (central) for a method used to migrate the DVR+ recordings to another USB HDD. It's not as easy, or intuitive, as one might think, and definitely not as simple as it should be!

If you’re running a Linux system, this might be an easier task (just guessing), assuming Linux would allow copying over any files that the DVR+ placed on the new disk when the DVR+ creates the partitions on the new disk (something that I've been unable to do in Windows).

Perhaps another method would be to use a program that migrates the partitions from one disk onto another?
Adoucette likes this.
post #8831 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New verssion of Ext2Fsd.

For those using Ext2Fsd to move recordings to a Windows computer, version 0.62 was released on June 10th, 2015.
Adoucette likes this.
post #8832 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Caution: You'll notice I've several times written "tr50.disacess.tv's current IP address." If the DVR+ is doing the lookup by hostname, rather than IP addresss (which is the way I would have coded it), and if they move that server to a different IP address (which is trivial to do): The access to updates will return.
I’ve been waiting for the developers to do that! If they do, perhaps we can persuade Chuck Tribolet to uncover the new address (see post 1541 on 01-24-2014, 08:11 AM (central))?
post #8833 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I’ve been waiting for the developers to do that! If they do, perhaps we can persuade Chuck Tribolet to uncover the new address (see post 1541 on 01-24-2014, 08:11 AM (central))?
If they've coded it as the fully-qualified hostname, rather than a particular IP address, then it's only necessary for someone to look up the new IP address.

I've been thinking of either blocking e*'s entire /24 or figuring out where the Rovi guide data comes from and putting my DVR+ on a default deny restriction--allowing it access to only the guide data, as preemptive defensive measures.

The streaming "channels" they added are of absolutely no interest to me. And, given what they've done with v123/124: Even adding Netflix, down the road, would be unlikely to tempt me to update. I've got a BD player and Roku that can do Netflix. I've got only one DVR, and I don't want it, or the stuff I've recorded and saved, trashed.

Jim
post #8834 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
... The streaming "channels" they added are of absolutely no interest to me. And, given what they've done with v123/124: Even adding Netflix, down the road, would be unlikely to tempt me to update.
From what I understand, we don’t have to activate the “Live Internet Channels” (just don’t register). That eliminates that concern, although there are other negatives to consider, such as the lost ability to sort recordings (hopefully this will get fixed), and CC being harder to turn on/off (really dumb).

I’m still running 114R because I’m waiting for the 2TB partition on a 3TB USB HDD to reach 95% full, just to test if 124R will automatically expand the partition to use up the unallocated space. I have the DVR+ recording two HD channels 24/7, on both tuners, which is averaging 15% per day, so I have about 3 more days to wait. After that test, I’ll have the DVR+ reformat the disk, and verify on a computer if 124R makes full use of the HDD (as reported earlier by @cah95046 ) on a WD 3TB My Book. Then I’ll verify that the recordings can still be moved to a computer (I expect that will be okay).

While I’ll have to get used to the revised Guide navigation, at least there’s the new ability to page forward 2.5 hours. Of course, due to the layout of the remote control, I don’t really like where the buttons are located (being near the end of the remote, and to far away from the circular navigation buttons), but I've never like the remote anyway!
post #8835 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
What exactly you did enter? IP or that site name?

This is what I get when I try to block.

Invalid Mac Address
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	block.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	777633  
post #8836 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is what I get when I try to block.

Invalid Mac Address
Wrong thing! I suspect you should click on "Website Blocking", and enter the domain name somewhere on that page. Or, as suggested earlier, use 67.148.153.225 instead (it equates to the same thing).

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wrong Item.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	777673  
post #8837 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 73
CM announced on their FB page that the YouTube issue is fixed:

Quote:
YouTube Update: Turns out this was a glitch on the YouTube end, which they fixed late yesterday. So you don't need a software update and you don't need to restart. It should be working fine now.
I won't be able to test it out until later. The problem many of us were having is the video + audio would play for 20 - 30 seconds, then the video would cut out. Pausing and clicking Play would restore video but the process would repeat every 30 seconds or so.
JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
post #8838 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Wrong thing! I suspect you should click on "Website Blocking", and enter the domain name somewhere on that page. Or, as suggested earlier, use 67.148.153.225 instead (it equates to the same thing).

Good luck!

Thank you to all who have tried to help. From the screen shot you can see;

1. The IP address entered in step 1 is invalid
2. at the bottom it shows it as blocked

So I think there is no hope.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	block2.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	777761  
post #8839 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

I’m still running 114R because I’m waiting for the 2TB partition on a 3TB USB HDD to reach 95% full, just to test if 124R will automatically expand the partition to use up the unallocated space. I have the DVR+ recording two HD channels 24/7, on both tuners, which is averaging 15% per day, so I have about 3 more days to wait. After that test, I’ll have the DVR+ reformat the disk, and verify on a computer if 124R makes full use of the HDD (as reported earlier by @cah95046 ) on a WD 3TB My Book. Then I’ll verify that the recordings can still be moved to a computer (I expect that will be okay).
I will be very surprised if the DVR+ changes the partition on the fly. That would be contrary to my experience and everything I have ever read on partitions.
post #8840 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
I will be very surprised if the DVR+ changes the partition on the fly. That would be contrary to my experience and everything I have ever read on partitions.
I'll be surprised too, but it's definitely not impossible, and I have to test it while it's relatively convenient to do so.
post #8841 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
If you did not change anything from the factory default, it never idles down. Seagate supplies a utility to change the drive settings, but you have to connect it to a PC to use it. You can use the utility without losing your drive content, but I don't recall if you also need to run the EXT2FSD utility to assign a drive letter, or if the Seagate utility will find the drive anyway. The utility was originally on your hard drive, but was wiped out when the DVR+ reformatted the drive.

I would recommend you do set the idle time to something, since the portable drives are not intended for 24/7 operation. I imagine the reason Seagate leaves the factory default at "never" for spin down is since in their normal use case with a laptop, they are only temporarily connected anyway.
You don't need ext2fsd to use the Seagate utility. The Seagate utility will find the drive, and let you adjust the drive's settings. But Windows won't assign it a drive letter, since the drive is not formatted in NTFS. All existing recordings and scheduled recordings will be safe.
pachinko likes this.
post #8842 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't think you need Step 1, that's to block a "device". What are the other options in the pull-down? What does Help say about Step 1. Have you looked on YouTube for your device?

It looks like the site is blocked to me. Have you tested the DVR+ to see?
post #8843 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What items you have in drop-down list at step 1 ?
post #8844 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

step one is the ip address of the device inside your internal network. put the ip address of the DVR+ in that field, not the ip address of the dns name you want to block. it is clear as day in your picture. you are already blocking that for device 192.168.0.2

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 6 TB TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #8845 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
step one is the ip address of the device inside your internal network. put the ip address of the DVR+ in that field, not the ip address of the dns name you want to block. it is clear as day in your picture. you are already blocking that for device 192.168.0.2
looks like this is it; now wait for DVR+ request to update FW ...
post #8846 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 69
FYI for anyone experiencing YouTube playback issues.

From the CM FB page today:
Quote:
YouTube Update: Turns out this was a glitch on the YouTube end, which they fixed late yesterday. So you don't need a software update and you don't need to restart. It should be working fine now.
post #8847 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
looks like this is it; now wait for DVR+ request to update FW ...
This is my routers log set to record all attempts to access blocked sites.
[Site blocked: tr50.dishaccess.tv] from source 192.168.1.4, Monday, Jun 15,2015 13:02:18
source 192.168.1.4 is the DVR+ on my LAN

I initiated this by asking DVR+ to check for available software updates. DVR+ came back with "can't do that and I don't know why" or something like that.
post #8848 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:

This is my routers log set to record all attempts to access blocked sites.
[Site blocked: tr50.dishaccess.tv] from source 192.168.1.4, Monday, Jun 15,2015 13:02:18
source 192.168.1.4 is the DVR+ on my LAN

I initiated this by asking DVR+ to check for available software updates. DVR+ came back with "can't do that and I don't know why" or something like that.
post #8849 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For those restricting the tr50.dishaccess.tv access by blocking the internal client IP address in your router, you may still have problems with the traffic if you are using DHCP (aka dynamic IP) in the DVR+ instead of a static IP address. When the DHCP lease expires for the DVR+, the DHCP server process on your router could give it a different IP address in the scope, which would no longer match the rule you created and allow it to access the site. A couple ideas to work around that would be 1) set a DHCP MAC reservation in your router so that it always renews on the same IP, 2) configure a static IP on your DVR+ which will not conflict with the defined DHCP scope range or 3) if no devices on your LAN need to access that public IP, consider blocking the entire network IP range if the router supports it.
Kelson likes this.

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Polk RM1000W sub.
post #8850 of 14231 Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

While I’ll have to get used to the revised Guide navigation, at least there’s the new ability to page forward 2.5 hours. Of course, due to the layout of the remote control, I don’t really like where the buttons are located (being near the end of the remote, and to far away from the circular navigation buttons), but I've never like the remote anyway!
I think the only two positives of the recent updates are the forward 2.5 hrs, and the potential to utilize the full 3TB. I am curious to hear if more people can verify the latter. But the positives still don't outweigh the loss of the red delete and yellow sort...

You haven't switched over to a Dish 20.1 remote yet? That's a must for all DVR+ owners!
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page