Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 303 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #9061 of 9072 Unread Today, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhead85 View Post
...I am trying to find out if, like a traditional cable DVR, you can schedule programs to repeat recording. For example if a particular show is coming on, I can select to record that show every week automatically, it would also be a plus if I could tell it to only record new episodes, not reruns of select show....
Yes to all questions!

To get you started, press the GUIDE button on the remote control.

Navigate to the show you want to record.

Press the OK button.

Select the desired option.

After that, the best advice I can give is to experiment with each and every recording option in the menu system.
promike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 9072 Unread Today, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Programming DVR+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhead85 View Post
I did search for quite awhile before posting. I was not able to find the answer. If you know it, i would appreciate the information.

Thank you,

Yes, you can program the DVR+ to automatically record all future episodes of your favorite television show as well as program it to record only new episodes.

The following from Channel Masters website should answer your questions and help you set up your DVR+ to record the shows you want as well as new episodes only.

Go to: support.channelmaster.com

Now click where it says DVR+. Then click where I says see all 7 articles. Now scroll down the list almost to the bottom of the CM page until you find: "How do I set up a name based or series recording on my DVR+"

That should answer your questions.

Sorry since I do not have enough posts on the AVS Forum this website will not allow me to post the CM link directly for you.

Additionally, since you are a new owner I found last year after purchasing my DVR+ if I had any questions which I could not find the answer online or in the owners manual CM's customer service was very helpful.
post #9063 of 9072 Unread Today, 03:57 AM

Beachhead85, had a typo above since this website is kind of finicky. My comment in the middle of my post above should have stated:

Go to: support.channelmaster.com

Now click where it says DVR+. Then click where it says see all 72 articles. Now scroll down the list almost to the bottom of the CM page until you find: "How do I set up a name based or series recording on my DVR+"
post #9064 of 9072 Unread Today, 04:07 AM

Now that I should have met the 5 posts minimum required by the AVS Forum to be able to post external links here you go. See:

How do I set up a name based or series recording on my DVR+

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...ding-on-my-DVR-

Since you are a new owner the following link may also help any other questions you may have:

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...CM-7500TB1-DVR-

My apologizes to others for making so many quick replies, just trying to help and did not have enough posts to originally post the links directly until reaching the 5 posts minimum required by the AVS Forum to post external links.
pachinko likes this.
post #9065 of 9072 Unread Today, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Little View Post
...Yesterday the Linear TV channels were locking up once again, so after several cold boots decided to do a complete factory reset. As others know that means you have to re-download the most recent firmware update.

*** The problem now is if I "Pause" any live OTA stations instead of allowing live broadcasting to be paused for 2 hours ... now it will only allow me to pause the DVR+ for 15 minutes for live OTA shows. (It's really annoying to me because during weekend sports shows often I like to pause them for at least 30 minutes minimum so I can blast right through all the commercials.)
Thanks, I actually didn't know that a Default Factory Reset required updating the software (CM doesn't mention that anywhere that I'm aware), but it certainly makes sense. I'm updating the DVR+ Lister Help file to mention this!

I rarely pause Live TV anymore, so I don't have much experience with how it reacts, but I just tried to duplicate the issue you describe, and cannot duplicate it. Here's what I did. I changed the channel to wipe the buffer clean (I wish it didn't do that BTW), the pressed the Pause button. The counter is currently at -0:25:33, and counting, which is far more than the 15 minutes you're getting! FYI, I'm running version 124R.

Wait a minute!!! I'll bet your "Storage Device" is set to "Internal Storage Device"! If I disconnect the USB HDD, then I get only 15 minutes of pause buffer. Reconnect your hard disk.
post #9066 of 9072 Unread Today, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post

Wait a minute!!! I'll bet your "Storage Device" is set to "Internal Storage Device"! If I disconnect the USB HDD, then I get only 15 minutes of pause buffer. Reconnect your hard disk.

It has everything to do with the Seagate EHD which I'm using. It is one of the CM recommended Seagate EHD's and had worked fine from 2014 until after doing the factory reset.

Noticed several hours ago the blue light on the EHD is not on. About 6 hours ago did a "Re-Initialize Storage Device" not realizing that is for the "Internal Storage Device" and now even with the Seagate EHD plugged into the DVR+ it still will not let me go to "Connect External Hard Drive".

*** That' been the problem for the past 5 to 6 hours, is by clicking MENU > DVR > DVR Setup, I can not get the "Connect External Drive" to highlight in the yellow color to be able to select that option.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the "Connect External Drive" icon to display so I can select that option. The Seagate EHD is plugged into the 16gb CM DVR+ and I still can not get the "Connect External Drive" icon to display so I can select that option.
post #9067 of 9072 Unread Today, 06:25 AM

Quote:
It has everything to do with the Seagate EHD which I'm using. It is one of the CM recommended Seagate EHD's and had worked fine from 2014 until after doing the factory reset.

Noticed several hours ago the blue light on the EHD is not on. About 6 hours ago did a "Re-Initialize Storage Device" not realizing that is for the "Internal Storage Device" and now even with the Seagate EHD plugged into the DVR+ it still will not let me go to "Connect External Hard Drive".

*** That' been the problem for the past 5 to 6 hours, is by clicking MENU > DVR > DVR Setup, I can not get the "Connect External Drive" to highlight in the yellow color to be able to select that option.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the "Connect External Drive" icon to display so I can select that option. The Seagate EHD is plugged into the 16gb CM DVR+ and I still can not get the "Connect External Drive" icon to display so I can select that option.
Someone a while back had a similar problem that was traced to the USB connector not being fully seated. Have you tried that, and if so, do you have another cable you can try. Also unplug and replug the cable on both ends, and jiggle the plugs to see if maybe there is a poor connector on either the DVR+, the EHD, or the cable. Recently I bought a bunch of HDMI cables, and 5 out of 13 were defective when I received them, so you never know about cables.

Try connecting to the other USB port on the DVR+.

Maybe disconnect the EHD and do a Cold Boot, waiting a painfully long 10 or 15 minutes without power. After booting, try to connect the EHD?
post #9068 of 9072 Unread Today, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks figured it out. Did another factory reset, then after going through the factory reset process up to just after you do the channel scan, the television picture does display from an OTA station being broadcast, and you will get a pop-up message on the television screen which says "USB WiFi Device Added".

At that that point where you get a pop-up message saying "USB WiFi Device Added" on the television screen BEFORE you select "Confirm" (which is the next step to connect your WiFi and enter your internet connection information) is when you have to plug in the EHD for it to be formatted again.

You have to connect the EHD to the DVR+ when you get the pop-up message saying "USB WiFi Device Added" on the television screen BEFORE you select "Confirm" and proceeding any further during the set-up of the DVR+.

It does not say that specifically below:

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...rive-to-my-DVR-

The past year got so used to being able to pause live OTA stations for up to 2 hours during sports programs I need that capability.
post #9069 of 9072 Unread Today, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks figured it out. Did another factory reset, then after going through the factory reset process up to just after you do the channel scan, the television picture does display from an OTA station being broadcast, and you will get a pop-up message on the television screen which says "USB WiFi Device Added".

At that that point where you get a pop-up message saying "USB WiFi Device Added" on the television screen BEFORE you select "Confirm" (which is the next step to connect your WiFi and enter your internet connection information) is when you have to plug in the EHD for it to be formatted again.

You have to connect the EHD to the DVR+ when you get the pop-up message saying "USB WiFi Device Added" on the television screen BEFORE you select "Confirm" and proceeding any further during the set-up of the DVR+.

It does not say that specifically below:

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...rive-to-my-DVR-

The past year got so used to being able to pause live OTA stations for up to 2 hours during sports programs I need that capability.
Happy to hear you got it working! I suspect you can wait until the entire setup process is complete before connecting the EHD (that's what I did when I first got mine, although that was version 111R).

Pausing Live TV is nice, but may I suggest you press that little red record button, or the OK button, and record the Show. Then you won't have to worry about the tiny 2 hour buffer, or worse, someone changing the channel and loosing that buffer!
post #9070 of 9072 Unread Today, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Happy to hear you got it working! I suspect you can wait until the entire setup process is complete before connecting the EHD (that's what I did when I first got mine, although that was version 111R).

Pausing Live TV is nice, but may I suggest you press that little red record button, or the OK button, and record the Show. Then you won't have to worry about the tiny 2 hour buffer, or worse, someone changing the channel and loosing that buffer!

As far as waiting until the entire setup process is complete, that is what I did the first couple factory resets in the past 14 hours as well as at least once had the EHD plugged in from the start of the entire setup process. I had done multiple factory resets before even posting on the AVS Forum. That's why I finally looked for information on the CM support link I posted above because of all the factory resets I had done since Saturday evening. There is where it states: 3. Once the DVR+ is set up and you have a channel displayed on your screen, now plug in your USB hard drive to one of the open USB ports on the back of the DVR+.

Keep in mind at that point the DVR+ has NOT been entirely setup because all you have done up to that point is the channel scan and you have not connected the WiFi nor have you entered any of your internet information. That's why I stated you have to connect the EHD before proceeding further.

After almost 1 year of using the DVR+ for us there is no reason to record a show if it is still within the 2 hour window. If it looks like we will go over the 2 hour window allowed by pressing the pause key then is when I will select to record the previously aired program, which can be done with the DVR+ as long as you have not changed channels.

Thought I'd also mention to others when on the CM support link earlier that CM currently has all their antennas on sale for 20% off thru 7/6/2015. My old RCA antenna is still working fine, but in case anyone else needs a new CM antenna their website states they are on sale.

Last edited by C. Little; Today at 09:12 AM.
post #9071 of 9072 Unread Today, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Question for any one on the thread in the Phoenix area, do you get UNKOWN EVENT on channels 38.5 ( This tv ) and 44.2 ( Retro tv ) in the Rovi guide? If not than I must be doing something wrong.
post #9072 of 9072 Unread Today, 09:55 AM

Quote:
As far as waiting until the entire setup process is complete, that is what I did the first couple factory resets in the past 14 hours as well as at least once had the EHD plugged in from the start of the entire setup process. I had done multiple factory resets before even posting on the AVS Forum. That's why I finally looked for information on the CM support link I posted above because of all the factory resets I had done since Saturday evening. There is where it states: 3. Once the DVR+ is set up and you have a channel displayed on your screen, now plug in your USB hard drive to one of the open USB ports on the back of the DVR+.

Keep in mind at that point the DVR+ has NOT been entirely setup because all you have done up to that point is the channel scan and you have not connected the WiFi nor have you entered any of your internet information. That's why I stated you have to connect the EHD before proceeding further.

After almost 1 year of using the DVR+ for us there is no reason to record a show if it is still within the 2 hour window. If it looks like we will go over the 2 hour window allowed by pressing the pause key then is when I will select to record the previously aired program, which can be done with the DVR+ as long as you have not changed channels.

Thought I'd also mention to others when on the CM support link earlier that CM currently has all their antennas on sale for 20% off thru 7/6/2015. My old RCA antenna is still working fine, but in case anyone else needs a new CM antenna their website states they are on sale.
Parsing words a little more closely, I think we're saying the same thing. On the Q&A link your provided, Channel Master states "We recommend completely setting up your DVR+ before connecting your hard drive to your DVR+". Later we read that it's completely setup when a channel first displays (when it asks no more questions).

That does not mean the owner doesn't have more to do, such as adjusting the Skip amounts, setting Power options, and Parental Controls, etc. But no way, no how, you should have to attach an EHD before doing anything that the DVR+ allows to be done. In fact, some folks don't even have an EHD when they first get their DVR+, so what about them? Surely they are going to go snooping around the menu system and change things.

If you cannot successfully attach your EHD after adjusting settings beyond what CM considers a complete setup, and you can duplicate not being able to do that, please report the issue to CM. I would try to confirm it myself if it weren't for having to reschedule everything. I'd have to be facing Jail Time before considering doing that!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread