Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 307 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #9181 of 9203 Old 07-26-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
CM ... said that they do not support moving recordings from one to another. I take that to mean that they (or rather the developers) have no intention of ever adding that feature.
That and the high price difference are why I've never considered getting a 1 TB DVR+. However, I believe their intentions would change if enough customers (or better yet, potential customers) asked.
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 9203 Old 07-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
One of the big questions I have for “learning” models is how friendly they are to being reprogrammed WITHOUT having to reprogram every button. That is, after programming, can I reprogram a single button without having to reprogram all buttons. How's this model when it comes to that issue?

Backlighting is important too, regardless of how easy the buttons are to identify by touch.
I have re-programmed single buttons and macro's without touching any of the other buttons.

While it's true that it has no back light, it is easier (for me) to use than my Backlit standard Samsung Remote. Now the second Remote for that TV is a Bluetooth with an 'Air-Mouse' to select items on-screen when needed and I'm in love with that (No BackLight) Remote. It's a strictly 2014 version, 2015's have less buttons and more on-screen selections.

My first Universal Remote was a Memorex at $185 (it was The Only Universal Remote at the time). Was back lit with an LCD Screen and not only did Macro's, but had a timer and a Clock to fire them off automatically. No 'pre-programs' existed, all 'Learn' IR Codes for each key.

Once found it at bottom of Hot Tub, removed Batteries and dried it out, it continued to work for years. I guess the 'Harmony' is Top Dog Remote now, with top dog prices, I would want the Bluetooth version (but has no Air Mouse) that drives an IR Blaster, bet that's $$$ and wouldn't like my Hot Tub

I don't think you can top that $14.99 Sony but Amazon has a selection from $10-$399 here (including a $10 w/Back Light): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...FMVNF42V0CK8YV
Art
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by pilotart; 07-26-2015 at 07:26 PM.
post #9183 of 9203 Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Is anyone else having issues access the Vevo music stations on the CM? My wife turns on the Vevo hits station while she works around the house and for at least the past few days when you try and access one of the Vevo music channels, you get a error saying CM is working to add this channel. Was wondering if I needed to do a hardware reset.

Thanks
post #9184 of 9203 Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
What model Tvix do you have?
It's the 6620. The enter and skip buttons are becoming unresponsive, but it's so cheap that there are no screws for me to easily open it to see if I can clean or replace any of the contact pads.
post #9185 of 9203 Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
Is anyone else having issues access the Vevo music stations on the CM? My wife turns on the Vevo hits station while she works around the house and for at least the past few days when you try and access one of the Vevo music channels, you get a error saying CM is working to add this channel. Was wondering if I needed to do a hardware reset.

Thanks
None of mine have picked up the VEVO channels for over a week now, CM probably couldn't come to an agreement to keep them on the feed. No loss really, I have yet to find anything worth watching on any of the linear channels since the day they were added. Don't need 24-hour jewelry, religious, hunting, or aquarium channels. They are mostly crappy channels anyway, with far less than HD images on most of them. And it would be nice if WGN was really WGN, and not just their local news rehash.

jericko76 and midas89 like this.
post #9186 of 9203 Old 07-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Amazon has a selection from $10-$399 here (including a $10 w/Back Light): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...FMVNF42V0CK8YV

What's the link to the $10 remote? The link you gave is for a $39.99 one.

post #9187 of 9203 Old 07-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

@wiscojim Sorry, there had been a list near the top of the $39.99 one for: "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought"...

Here's the $10 lighted one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00285KFR8?psc=1

$10 with Free Shipping (but not Prime eligible), so it may be on a boat from China.

Now here's an RCA Universal Remote with Green Backlit Keypad for $8.25:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RCRN04GR-D...JASBS4WPNBX63C
And that one IS Prime Eligible

Looks like CM's pricing on Remote follows their pricing on WiFi Dongle
Art

Edit:- Need to point out that the cheaper Remotes Linked Above DO NOT INCLUDE "LEARNING or MACRO" functions.

For Those Features (Important for DVR+) you need to step it up to at least the six device backlit:

http://smile.amazon.com/Wmu-RCARCRN0...iglink20246-20

@ $11.89 and free 2nd day delivery for PRIME Members.

Last edited by pilotart; 07-27-2015 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Add Information
post #9188 of 9203 Old 07-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post

Thanks
I show 6 channels offline right now including the vevo stations.

CM should be embarrassed.
hackenfort and jericko76 like this.
post #9189 of 9203 Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
None of mine have picked up the VEVO channels for over a week now, CM probably couldn't come to an agreement to keep them on the feed. No loss really, I have yet to find anything worth watching on any of the linear channels since the day they were added. Don't need 24-hour jewelry, religious, hunting, or aquarium channels. They are mostly crappy channels anyway, with far less than HD images on most of them. And it would be nice if WGN was really WGN, and not just their local news rehash.

I'm bit of a news junky and "BBC World Service" has become my favorite linear channel. I too wish the video quality was better but given the price and the fact that I never expected to have this feature, I'll gladly take it as is than not have it.
post #9190 of 9203 Old 07-27-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobarino View Post
I show 6 channels offline right now including the vevo stations.

CM should be embarrassed.
I haven't looked at Linear TV in a while because my Clear Internet has gotten too slow since Sprint bought Clear. But now that you mention it, Free Speech TV is still off (even though I can watch it on my PC); so is MiCasa (we had that on LPTV for a little while, but our LPTV stations played musical channels and it's gone now); Vevo isn't working either as you noted - even RTV isn't working!

I'm going to try refreshing channels and see what happens

Edit: Didn't make any difference. This ain't gonna sell any units if CM can't even make the few channels they do have work.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-27-2015 at 07:29 PM.
post #9191 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 AM

Liked: 40
It's sad alright.

Fortunately, the linear channels that I actually watch some are still working.
Bloomberg Financial News, Pursuit, and BBC.
I would like to see them add NASA and CSPAN but only if they actually work.
post #9192 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thumbs down Channel (Re)Scan and Other Time Wasters

Quote:
Note: If channels were hidden deleted before 123r/124R, they will not appear in the Hidden List, and would have to be re-scanned, either manually, or by a full rescan.
Am I to understand that with 124R, as with 114R and earlier, it is STILL NOT POSSIBLE to rescan and ADD ONLY any channels that are NOT already in memory? If true, then that is super-duper stupid!!! My much older Sony had it right! I'm furious with EchoStar-slash-Channel Master, for this and many, many other things.

I've just done my first Factory Reset, hoping to fix the recent freezing problem, and now I have to remove many channels I don't want AND reschedule all the shows it has lost. Great DVR for folks who love to waste (even more) time. And, BTW, still waiting for that complete list of changes that may, but probably won't, make me decide to upgrade to 124R.

@pkeegan, I care mainly about finding new channels that exist without my knowledge (such as 5.2 here in S.F., which I've just discovered, along with one or two more) by letting the DVR do all the scanning work. If the really old Sony DHG-HDD250 could do it, it certainly should exist in today's DVRs!

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; 07-28-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Response to next post
post #9193 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I was able to add a channel manually without a full scan. I was then able to hide a couple of subchannels from the newly added channel. When the unit was upgraded from 114R to 124R I didn't have to rescan channels or hide any new unwanted channels. Previously deleted channels remained deleted. I also didn't have to reschedule any shows etc.

Last edited by pkeegan; 07-28-2015 at 01:09 PM.
post #9194 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Freezing / Butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Just a hunch, SirCrow, but that could be a failing HDD. Just to be sure, could you plug the HDD into a PC and run diagnostics on it? ... Of course, even if it is the HDD, it should just show an error message, not lock up the DVR
True, it should not lock up the DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
... What if one device misses the button and remains on (or off)? Then you have the two devices out of sync, with no way to turn on one without turning off the other!
As someone else already hinted, one could just get off one's butt and go manually turn off the errant device. Granted, some butts are easier to get off of than others.
JoeKustra and tomintn like this.

post #9195 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Am I to understand that with 124R, as with 114R and earlier, it is STILL NOT POSSIBLE to rescan and ADD ONLY any channels that are NOT already in memory? If true, then that is super-duper stupid!!! My much older Sony had it right! I'm furious with EchoStar-slash-Channel Master, for this and many, many other things.

I've just done my first Factory Reset, hoping to fix the recent freezing problem, and now I have to remove many channels I don't want AND reschedule all the shows it has lost. Great DVR for folks who love to waste (even more) time. And, BTW, still waiting for that complete list of changes that may, but probably won't, make me decide to upgrade to 124R.
@pkeegan , I really care only about finding new channels that exist without my knowledge (such as 5.2 here in S.F., which I've just discovered, along with one or two more) by letting the DVR do all the scanning work. If the really old Sony DHG-HDD250 could do it, it certainly should exist in today's DVRs!
"list of changes" Others would need to chime in if the list on the lower half of this page is not complete:
http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...oftware-Update

I guess some of the changes added w/124R should appeal to you.

One of them is a "Factory-Reset" with the option for you to select what will be reset.

They have now added an ability to 'hide' unwanted channels, meaning you could then add them back in later without a re-scan.

My Sony's (both 2008 & 2011 see sig) do not 'save' any old channels when you do a Channel Scan, neither does my 2014 Samsung or 2015 RCA (mini AA Battery TV). But then you can't 'delete' them like the DVR+ but only 'Hide' them (perhaps like 124R?).

If I do a scan in unique atmospheric conditions, I will get many channels 100 miles North or East that will surly be "No Signal" the next day. My "TV Fool" exact address report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03a4ae55ed9c

And the above is with a Mohu Leaf antenna (feeding the Panny DVD, Sammy TV and DVR+) which continually receives 24 Channels with a constant reliable strong signal (including the secondary's) about half of them that I might be interested in.

And I believe TV's and Tuners work better not having weak or no-signal channels included to deal with.

I've only had my DVR+ for eleven days, it has worked absolutely perfectly on a 'secret' 115R Firmware it was shipped with on 7/13/2015.

My thought on Firmware Flashes is the old saw:
If it Ain't Broke-Don't Fix It

I had to do two Factory Resets a week ago to get rid of the Nag-Screen telling me to 'Up-Date'. A big THANK YOU for all the Support for me on this Board to accomplish that

I can certainly do without the feature's mentioned above and have no want at this time for those "Extra Channels", only have a 1 TB Hard Drive connected (124R handles larger HD's better).

My main reason for my wanting to stay on 115R (beyond just how well everything works) is that I love how my Remote Control works now and 124R changes things to accommodate the New 'Extra Channels' and the 'New Optional Remote' by changing what the four 'Color Buttons' do and adding more clicks for your CC button to do what one click does now.

I have 111R, 114R & 124R downloaded and stored, but will only update (via-USB) after I see a need or additional capability that I want, and favorable update reports here.
Art
post #9196 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Am I to understand that with 124R, as with 114R and earlier, it is STILL NOT POSSIBLE to rescan and ADD ONLY any channels that are NOT already in memory? If true, then that is super-duper stupid!!!...
If you mean a full channel scan, then you are correct. In 124R there is no option to do a Full Channel Re-scan for ONLY new channels, leaving already scanned and already hidden channels untouched! A “Full Re-scan” will erase all previously scanned channels (including hidden channels). Previously hidden channels will have to be re-hidden after the scan. Here’s a snapshot of the warning that 124R issues before performing a full re-scan. The first sentence appears to be an incomplete statement, and the second sentence is a bit contradictory!

However, like pkeegan stated, you can manually scan individually channels, in 124R (as you can in 114R). The DVR+ will add only that main channel, and all of it’s sub-channels, without affecting other scanned channels, and will not unhide any hidden channels, NOT even if that channel has hidden channels (a definite improvement).

In 124R, if you don’t want a channel that is added by a manual scan, you’ll have to “hide” it after the manual scan. The good news is that hidden channels are very easy to un-hide (another improvement over 114R)!

In 114R, all channels that were “deleted” were removed from the units memory, and even if there was an option to scan for only new channels, 114R would see them as new, and add them to the channel list. In 124R, channels are “hidden”, not “deleted”, so the possibility exists for the developers to add a “scan for new channels” option, but I’m not betting on it.

Quote:
...I've just done my first Factory Reset, hoping to fix the recent freezing problem, and now I have to remove many channels I don't want AND reschedule all the shows it has lost. Great DVR for folks who love to waste (even more) time. ...
As reported many times, a factory reset does those horrible things you describe. It would be nice to be able to instruct the DVR+ to not reset channels, but that’s not the way it is, at least not at this time.

Quote:
...And, BTW, still waiting for that complete list of changes that may, but probably won't, make me decide to upgrade to 124R. ...
It is clear by now that CM has no intention to provide that list of over 50 changes that was revealed on facebook, even though they thanked someone who asked about it.

Quote:
@pkeegan , I really care only about finding new channels that exist without my knowledge (such as 5.2 here in S.F., which I've just discovered, along with one or two more) by letting the DVR do all the scanning work
If I recall correctly, new sub-channels are added automatically by the DVR+, without having to do anything, and without fanfare. They simply appear in the guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
"list of changes" Others would need to chime in if the list on the lower half of this page is not complete:
If we are to believe the statement made by CM on their facebook page after 123R/124R was released, then the list you linked is no where near complete! They said there are more than 50 (or maybe they said 50 changes), but for some reason they don't like to tell us what they are! Of course, some of those 50 are probably bugs, and they don't want to admit to them (for example the 2TB hard disk partition limitation that magically went away in 124R, even though CM claimed there was no such limitation).
post #9197 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 06:04 PM

124R -- Upgrade or NOT?

Thanks, Art. Your reply was a real work of.....Art.
Anyway, to answer some of your points:

> "list of changes" Others would need to chime in if the list on the lower half of this page is not complete:

If that list is complete, it surely is short for how long CM took to release 123R/124R. Either way, some of what's listed is awfully vague and doesn't help me much in my evaluation.

> I guess some of the changes added w/124R should appeal to you.

Yes, I think one or two would. The flexible Factory Reset sounds promising.

> They have now added an ability to 'hide' unwanted channels, meaning you could then add them back in later without a re-scan.

But the option to Add Only New Channels during re-scan would be far better, to me. I forget what it was called, but my Sony DHG from 2004 had that, and it was very useful. Too many good things about that old DVR are missing in DVR+.

> And I believe TV's and Tuners work better not having weak or no-signal channels included to deal with.

That may be true.

> I've only had my DVR+ for eleven days, it has worked absolutely perfectly on a 'secret' 115R Firmware it was shipped with on 7/13/2015.

I'd love to know exactly how 115R differs from 114R. That's weird.

> I had to do two Factory Resets a week ago to get rid of the Nag-Screen telling me to 'Up-Date'. A big THANK YOU for all the Support for me on this Board to accomplish that

Indeed, many thanks to all the answer givers here.

> I can certainly do without the feature's mentioned above and have no want at this time for those "Extra Channels" ... My main reason for my wanting to stay on 115R....is that I love how my Remote Control works now and 124R changes things to accommodate the New 'Extra Channels' and the 'New Optional Remote' by changing what the four 'Color Buttons' do and adding more clicks for your CC button to do what one click does now.

> I have 111R, 114R & 124R downloaded and stored, but will only update (via-USB) after I see a need or additional capability that I want, and favorable update reports here.

Yes, yes. Much agreement we are having here today.

post #9198 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 PM

Should new sub-channels have appeared?

Quote:
... If I recall correctly, new sub-channels are added automatically by the DVR+, without having to do anything, and without fanfare. They simply appear in the guide.
Are you referring to 124R? If what you say is true in 114R, then I should've seen ch. 5.2 and other new channels show up in the guide, which I did not until after the FR that I was forced to do.

Thanks, Pachinko.

post #9199 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Are you referring to 124R? If what you say is true in 114R, then I should've seen ch. 5.2 and other new channels show up in the guide, which I did not until after the FR that I was forced to do.

Thanks, Pachinko.
You're welcome!

The automatic appearance of new sub-channels would have been in 114R as I "seem" to recall 4.2 and 8.3 magically appearing a couple of months before 124R. If that's not what happened for you then I'm remembering incorrectly. Maybe I'm confusing it with the TV, or that other DVR (whose name can not be mentioned). Perhaps someone else can verify one way or the other.

For clarity, did you have 5.1 before the factory restore? If not, then I would not have expected sub-channel 5.2 to appear.

Unfortunately it's not something that can be tested until a new channel comes on-line, or I'd be testing it right now.
post #9200 of 9203 Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
... For clarity, did you have 5.1 before the factory restore? If not, then I would not have expected sub-channel 5.2 to appear. ...
Yes, I already had 5.1. That's CBS, and it was the last of the "big 3" networks (I'm not counting Fox, as I haven't received it in years) to add a sub-channel.
pachinko likes this.

post #9201 of 9203 Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Am I to understand that with 124R, as with 114R and earlier, it is STILL NOT POSSIBLE to rescan and ADD ONLY any channels that are NOT already in memory? If true, then that is super-duper stupid!!! My much older Sony had it right!

@pkeegan, I care mainly about finding new channels that exist without my knowledge (such as 5.2 here in S.F., which I've just discovered, along with one or two more) by letting the DVR do all the scanning work. If the really old Sony DHG-HDD250 could do it, it certainly should exist in today's DVRs!
I've found this feature (the CM-7000 called it an "update scan") is in roughly half of the various tuners I've used over the years. It's especially useful if you have an antenna with a rotator: you point your antenna one way, do a full scan, then point it the other way and do the update scan.

I've seen many tuners with that feature, but about as many tuners with only the same options as the DVR+: a full scan or a manual, one-frequency-at-a-time scan. However, most could automatically discover new subchannels whenever you tuned to another subchannel on the same frequency, like automatically discovering your 5.2 when you tuned to 5.1. Unfortunately, the DVR+ doesn't seem to discover new subchannels this way; you have to do a manual scan.

For your purposes, I suppose you could just hook up a cheap tuner (such as a used converter box) that you only use for scanning and nothing else. If you find anything interesting, you could then manually scan it in on the DVR+. But ideally, I'd like to see all three options on the DVR+ itself: full scan, update scan, and manual scan (along with options to hide as well as fully delete channels, as I've said before).
pachinko likes this.
post #9202 of 9203 Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I'd like to bring some technical tidbits to clarify processes of adding channels.
It happened by different ways.

To weed out totally different algo of discovering subchannels: it's done by own process as ParsingSI tables during watching or recording or idling of any tuner what locked to the particular current frequency. You could deduct the process' limitations.

If we are discuss any scan what initiated by user, then the box does stop executing all tasks and switched to maintenance mode; then you could run auto changing frequency or pick it manually and the device will try to lock to the transmitter's signal and execute same process of parsing system tables.
pilotart likes this.
post #9203 of 9203 Old Today, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to DVR+

Second post here on the forum... easy there folks...

Recently received our DVR+ with 1TB internal drive direct from CM, USB wifi was added for free.

After years of using a Philips DVD recorder (3756, I believe) as our DVR (first with cable, until comcast scrambled the signal, then OTA once we cut the cord), we decided to get something with more than one tuner and the built in guide. Immediately upgraded to 124R - no problems other than the buttons indicated in the manual changed (not hard to figure out - just navigate the menu with different buttons now)

I'm happy with most of the features and configuration of the DVR+ (including the added bonus of the internet/linear channels) but the recording doesn't seem as flexible as it could be. Some have noted here about and issue with adjacent recording slots overlapping (due to the time buffer) and some shows not being recorded as a result. I hope that is something that CM can figure out how to solve at some point. Also, not happy with the 5 min increment for custom recordings... another improvement CM could make would be to allow 1 min increments (like pretty much any other video recorder I've ever used...)

I think we will keep a DVD recorder in the mix for the additional tuner (3 tuners to record shows) and a pass through to the TV (1 more channel to watch). Shouldn't need that many, but if the overlap is an issue it is good to have another option. Will switch out the old Philips with a newer Magnavox 1TB model that we bought awhile back for some additional storage and flexibility.

No real questions right now, just wanted to join in on the conversation. My earlier participation in the forum was positive (conversations via PM regarding our Philips unit) and I wanted to add to the discussion here regarding recording time slots and improvements that CM could make to this product.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread