Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 308 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #9211 of 9219 Unread 08-01-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Barvo View Post
Any ideas as to reset it short of a factory reset, which I think will erase all the programs on the 2TB ehd.
A factory reset will not erase your recordings. (But if you want to be absolutely sure, unplug the HDD before you do it.) A factory reset will erase all your timers though, so you'll have to reschedule all your upcoming recordings afterwards. You'll also have to go through the channel scan and delete unwanted channels again.

BTW, the latest firmware is 124R. The update changes the UI in some annoying ways, but the only serious bug I recall being reported is that it can have trouble with drives that spin down when inactive and don't spin back up quickly enough when the DVR+ is turned on. (OTOH, it does let you use all the space on drives over 2.2TB.)

On 124R, the factory reset does have a new option to "reset" (erase) your recordings, but that's not done by default; you have to specifically select that option.
pachinko likes this.
JHBrandt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9212 of 9219 Unread 08-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Barvo View Post
I think this is a new problem, don't recall seeing it mentioned. I tried to record a program and get a pop up warning "the maximum number of timers have been set. No more timers can be set until an existing timer is deleted or expires". So I unplugged the power for 20 minutes, still getting message after powering up. Deleted an existing timer; still get the message. It's running 114. I initially unplugged it for 5 seconds and then powered up. Then I got a message that it was looking for an internet connection and kept on trying to do that. Looking for an update to whatever version is new these days is my guess. That was the first time I ever saw that message. Any ideas as to reset it short of a factory reset, which I think will erase all the programs on the 2TB ehd. I really don't want to update to the newest version. I had to go from 108 to 114 when I first got it 8 months ago; just wouldn't work until I did that. I'm at a loss to explain how using the 114 can cause a problem when I'm using the same hardware for the last 8 months....


The longer I have this, the more I'm convinced it's not ready for prime time. It's almost like the engineers and software writers exist in a vacuum; someplace that they are completely and totally unaware how the DVR is actually used. Just reading this forum would give them a really good start on all the screw ups they built into the turd....
The maximum number of schedule timers on the DVR+ is 54. Way too few IMHO. After you deleted a timer you should have been able to add another. That's what happens for me. No Cold Booting required. I did this in 114R, and just now in 124R. The same limit applies to both.

Go into Series Options (Menu, DVR, Series Options), and count the number of timers. If 54, that's the reason you cannot add another. Perhaps the one you thought you deleted did not actually delete? Delete another and then try to add a new timer.

The "Looking for an Internet Connection" is another matter. Did it ever make the connection?

For those who have never encountered the Timer limit, here’s the message that the DVR+ displays:

JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 08-01-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Add an image of the timer warning
pachinko is online now  
post #9213 of 9219 Unread 08-01-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 297
54 sure seems like a strange number. I could see 50, or 64 (2^6), but I wonder how they ended up with a limit of 54?

I guess it must be something like the amount of flash memory they set aside, divided by the amount of memory each timer uses. If so, I'm with you; surely they could have set aside enough memory for 108....
JHBrandt is offline  
post #9214 of 9219 Unread 08-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
54 sure seems like a strange number. I could see 50, or 64 (2^6), but I wonder how they ended up with a limit of 54?

I guess it must be something like the amount of flash memory they set aside, divided by the amount of memory each timer uses. If so, I'm with you; surely they could have set aside enough memory for 108....
You're not the only one wondering why it's not a power of 2. The first time it happened to me, I had to triple check that I counted correctly! And I counted twice again today!

Right now, my other DVR has 82 OnePass Shows in the list! I haven't tried to top it out yet.
pachinko is online now  
post #9215 of 9219 Unread 08-01-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Here are a couple of suggestions for reducing the number of timers you need, if you're hitting the limit of 54:

  • Don't be afriad of overkill. Set a single "all shows," M-F, or daily timer instead of setting several weekly timers, even if it means you have to cancel or delete a few "extra" recordings.
  • If you're recording back-to-back shows on the same channel, set a single timer to cover both. (This also helps with the DVR+'s inability to pad back-to-back recordings on the same channel, but it does mean you won't get the shows' descriptions saved with the recording.)

The second suggestion is probably more useful if you transfer your recordings to a PC from time to time, since you can use editing software to split up the back-to-back recordings.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #9216 of 9219 Unread Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Nor California
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Pachinko; you hit it right on the head. 54 was the number....Where did you find out about this? I actually downloaded and read the owners manual (I'm a deviant in that way; nobody in the US reads the manual first) and didn't see anything mentioned.

I'm just amazed at the knowledge and ability of the forum members, CM would have probably told me to go pound sand as I was past the 30 day support window...

I don't have an internet connection to the DVR, so it's just a day in advance for it to search for programs to record. It's just me, so that works OK.

Thanks again....
pilotart likes this.
Dee Barvo is offline  
post #9217 of 9219 Unread Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Barvo View Post
Pachinko; you hit it right on the head. 54 was the number....Where did you find out about this? I actually downloaded and read the owners manual (I'm a deviant in that way; nobody in the US reads the manual first) and didn't see anything mentioned.

I'm just amazed at the knowledge and ability of the forum members, CM would have probably told me to go pound sand as I was past the 30 day support window...

I don't have an internet connection to the DVR, so it's just a day in advance for it to search for programs to record. It's just me, so that works OK.

Thanks again....
I haven't seen the maximum number of Timers in writing either (there's lots of stuff not documented for public consumption, so I'm not surprised). I found out, shortly after I received the DVR+, because I was curious and tested if there was a limitation (I often do that). When it hit 54 Timers, the DVR+ tossed up that ugly message. So I deleted one Timer, and it let me add another. Then I deleted a few Timers and it let me add the same number that I deleted, always topping out at 54.

After seeing your post yesterday, I retested the limit in 124R, and found it had not changed from what it was in 114R.

FYI, yesterday I added this topic to the DVR+ Lister's Q&A page, which will be part of the next update (no date planned). Thanks for bringing it to light on the forum!
jericko76 and pilotart like this.
pachinko is online now  
post #9218 of 9219 Unread Today, 06:10 PM
Member
 
jericko76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I haven't seen the maximum number of Timers in writing either (there's lots of stuff not documented for public consumption, so I'm not surprised). I found out, shortly after I received the DVR+, because I was curious and tested if there was a limitation (I often do that). When it hit 54 Timers, the DVR+ tossed up that ugly message. So I deleted one Timer, and it let me add another. Then I deleted a few Timers and it let me add the same number that I deleted, always topping out at 54.

After seeing your post yesterday, I retested the limit in 124R, and found it had not changed from what it was in 114R.

FYI, yesterday I added this topic to the DVR+ Lister's Q&A page, which will be part of the next update (no date planned). Thanks for bringing it to light on the forum!

I am really glad you informed us of this. With my old DirecTV DVR, when a show would end, I was lazy and never went in and cleaned it up and removed it from the list. With the DVR+, I will have to keep on top of that.
pilotart likes this.
jericko76 is online now  
post #9219 of 9219 Unread Today, 07:40 PM
Senior Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
I am really glad you informed us of this. With my old DirecTV DVR, when a show would end, I was lazy and never went in and cleaned it up and removed it from the list. With the DVR+, I will have to keep on top of that.
Good housekeeping is not a bad idea, but I wouldn't worry too much since you'll be notified when no more Timers can be added, and you can do some cleaning at that time. However, the notification does not appear until an attempt is made to add the 55th Timer, and if you're trying to add it right as a Show is about to air, it might cause a bit of panic, especially if that channel is not currently playing.
pachinko is online now  
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off