Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #9271 of 9492 Old 08-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Just another brainless change (or failure to change what needed changing) by E*/CM! Of course I sometimes want to turn off the DVR but not the TV!!!
Stupid, stupid, stupid.....
That's pretty damn lame. Can't imagine what was running thru whatever designer's head when (s)he thought up that little gem.

Jim
SirCrow and pilotart like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 9492 Old 08-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The idea wasn't bad, but they botched the implementation horribly. No recording, no time-shifting, no EPG or Animal Planet as implied by their pre-release "demo," meant no viewers to speak of;
Even less viewers than they might have had due to some people disliking the update so much they went to the trouble to block the update site. I was interested in the "linear" channels, but not enough to cripple my DVR+ to see them.

I read about some of what they've done and have to wonder just what they were thinking?

Quote:
and now the providers are, not surprisingly, seeing the low ratings and pulling out. It's not dead yet but it's clearly in a death spiral and I doubt CM will try to save it.
It's done. Stick a fork in it?

Jim
pilotart likes this.
post #9273 of 9492 Old 08-08-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I recall doing max length recordings [12 hrs] I did see in "bookmark" metafiles separate sections of each show; so pressing Info button during play of the big files would give you proper description and rating to execute parent control rules
Quote:
That's a very interesting point! There's a need to enforce parental controls when making manual recordings that span multiple shows. The ratings data is of course part of the broadcast station's transport stream, but the DVR+ writes it to a separate metadata file instead of the .ts file, and it saves the PSIP descriptions along with it! I wonder if pachinko's DVR+ lister could be enhanced somehow to use that info to identify each of various events within a multiple-event recording, and apply, say, the proper ffmpeg parameters to copy each event separately if desired, perhaps even including a user-specified amount of padding? That could take some of the "sting" out of having to set up manual timers to record back-to-back events
Attached is a zip file containing the record_event_index file and Strm0003, log, tsf, and met files for a manually scheduled recording on the DVR+ (version 124R) that captured three 1/2 hour SD shows in a single recording. It was recorded today, 8/8/2015 from COZI, WHNO-D2. No starting or ending padding was specified.

The log file contains some ACSII information on all 3 shows, but will require deciphering the rest of the data.

The three shows are:

1. The Dick Van Dyke Show, started at 4:00PM central, 1/2 hour.

2. The Dick Van Dyke Show, started at 4:30PM central, 1/2 hour.

3. COZI 30-Minute Special, Lucille Ball, started at 5:00PM central, 1/2 hour.

For whatever it's worth, the file size of Strm0003.ts is 2,539,799,348 bytes.

Also attached is a pic of the Rovi Guide for the manual recording, and a screenshot of what DVR+ Lister acquires from the REI file. Note the start time is 00:00, for some reason, instead of 16:00. I don't know yet if that's due to a bug in DVR+ Lister, or if the time stamp is handled differently in a manually scheduled recording.

Edit: I’ve confirmed that manually scheduled recordings do NOT populate the positions in the REI file for the aired time (they are always 00 and 00). However, the positions for the actual start time are populated correctly. DVR+ Lister currently uses the aired time, not the actual start time because aired time matches the Rovi Guide data, and is human friendly. That might have to change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic of Rovi Guide showing these 3 shows as one recording.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	876354   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Manual Recording in DVR+ Lister.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	876362  
Attached Files
File Type: zip _REI, Log, Tsf and Met files for Strm0003.zip (49.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by pachinko; 08-08-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: To confirm my hypothesis about the aired time
post #9274 of 9492 Old 08-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
I emailed them as well as asking them on their facebook page with no response. I take their no response meaning Linear is dead. No big loss. They were dumb to go down that path to begin with. Work on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex and they would make the DVR+ really appeal more to cord cutters.
Have to agree with this; the functionality of the YouTube, Vudu and Pandora apps would be killer with Netflix or Prime. Load the app right from the guide, no input switching, no fuss. Adding something like Plex for our home media would put icing on the cake.

The streaming only channels (linear) without any guide data and the inability to go on demand make them pretty worthless. Worse than the Roku apps. The linear news and music channels work well that way, but seeing them go down is not very reassuring.

I think the better choice for CM would be to focus on OTA and apps and forget the linear channels.
jericko76 and pilotart like this.
post #9275 of 9492 Old 08-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Cool 24 Day's with my DVR+

As far as the problem of one button turning both DVR+ & TV on/off, since DRV+'s Remote has to "see" the TV's IR Window to do it, you could shield the Remote from TV to prevent it turning TV on/off. But I agree it's an unfortunate 'feature'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobarino View Post
It's sad alright.

Fortunately, the linear channels that I actually watch some are still working.
Bloomberg Financial News, Pursuit, and BBC.
I would like to see them add NASA and CSPAN but only if they actually work.
Quote:
I emailed them as well as asking them on their facebook page with no response. I take their no response meaning Linear is dead. No big loss. They were dumb to go down that path to begin with. Work on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex and they would make the DVR+ really appeal more to cord cutters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Have to agree with this; the functionality of the YouTube, Vudu and Pandora apps would be killer with Netflix or Prime. Load the app right from the guide, no input switching, no fuss. Adding something like Plex for our home media would put icing on the cake.

The streaming only channels (linear) without any guide data and the inability to go on demand make them pretty worthless. Worse than the Roku apps. The linear news and music channels work well that way, but seeing them go down is not very reassuring.

I think the better choice for CM would be to focus on OTA and apps and forget the linear channels.
It would depend on alternative sources available to the 'cord-cutter'.

Only internet feature I tried on DVR+ was YouTube, it happened to use the identical same app as my TV uses. I signed in and 'paired' it with my networked tablet to send videos same as TV does.

Problem was that it did not work as well, due to TV using its Bluetooth 'Air-Mouse' Remote to control and a superior processor and network feed. If you have the download speed, TV's app will even decode YouTube's True 4K using latest 'codec' from Samsung.

I did not look at Pandora, as although TV has a good Pandora app, my Sony 'BD' (see sig) has a better one and being HDMI directly into AVR supplies the best audio available. I much prefer my XM for music, also direct into the Pioneer AVR.

I did not look at Vudu as it looked like Pay-TV and is also on my TV along with about 50++ other apps I've never tried. TV does have by far the best Web Browser I've seen on a TV and TV's Amazon Prime app provides 4K UHD & HDR (which Sony BD's Amazon app does not). Again the TV's Bluetooth Remote and Air-Mouse rules and the Quad-Core Processor (Octa-Core available) keeps things moving.

Ideal for me (and a lot of other cord-cutters) might be a Channel Master DVR using internet Just for a Guide Service (and Titan TV.com does the Guide a lot better than the Rovi on my DVR+.)

Perhaps this 'minimal version' could turn a decent profit at a lower cost

Leave the rest of the "Smart-TV" stuff to TV's (and Blue-Ray's) that do it so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
FYI, the Back button on the remote removes the Progress Bar.
An even handier "Remove" for me is a double-ckick of the "Audio" button just below my Jump Forward :30 second Button on my Remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I think it has to do with mentality, and the developers still have a VCR mentality similar to mine <....>, as you can instantly skip to 60 minutes into the recording. <....> Is having every show in a separately named file really that important?
One of the best things (of many) about the DVR+ (or my old CATV Prism DVR) is the Programming ease of just clicking a Program from the Guide and selecting just this one, or "The Series" (New or All).

There is just simply no contest with this in comparison with programming my DVD/VCR and I have the best of those.

The best my DVR+ can do to "instantly skip to 60 minutes into..." is one minute of x64 FF. I do like recording an hour news program and skim through it @ x32 FF in two minutes to see if I want more detail on any of it though...

I absolutely Do Want Each Program in a separate file, to skim or watch and then delete with my Red Button.

There are time periods where I have up to five choices of simultaneous OTA News Programs available in one to three hour periods. I've been enjoying recording two-at-a-time, back-to-back jumping between channels and then 'speed-viewing' them before deletion.

The most I've lost from the switch of channel and program is eight seconds and it's usually just three or four with Time Buffers at default. Since I've seen it goes to 'none' Lead ("Early Time") on 'back-to-back's, I wish I could set "Late Time" for minus one, since last minutes are invariably Commercials. I have just set it for "none" for "Late Time" to see if that makes any difference on Back-To-Back timings.

Almost one month experience for me now with this DVR+ and it has been a far greater addition to my HT than I ever expected.

I had never considered (beyond a little research) that any of the other available options, (like TiVo or Windows TV) would be anything I would want. I do regret not considering the DVR+ in time for that $175 Black Friday deal, ~~but $400~~ No Way!

I had the extra One TB Hard Drives (from 'done' Samsung TV Movie Packs) and use Ethernet Network connection, so the $249 no-tax/free shipping Deal looked good to me.
Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samsungotn.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	877066  

Last edited by pilotart; 08-09-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Click link "Last edited by pilotart;" above.
post #9276 of 9492 Old 08-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
couldn't agree more but do they actually have any real control over the dvr+/firmware? or is channel master basically just a passive storefront selling e* stuff? a couple weeks ago I tried to find an hdt-610r support forum to see if their users are more plugged in wrt roadmap and whatnot and found "124R" firmware on an hdt-610r page. I realize the dvr+ software comes from e* but does channel master just email e* with requests for things then sit around waiting to see if they'll do it or not?

I love my dvr+ and as-is am pretty thrilled overall since my needs are rather simple. but there are so many dvr tweaks the dvr+ could use like saving the last n search phrases so they can be easily recalled, searching descriptions instead of just titles, etc., and want to annoy the bejesus out of the right ppl but don't know who that is.
pilotart likes this.
post #9277 of 9492 Old 08-09-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 334
My understanding is that CM saw E*'s European HDT-610R, liked it, and made a deal with E* to make a North American version, which became the DVR+. So it does seem like a joint venture, with CM telling E* what features they would like added, and E* doing the actual design, manufacture, programming, etc.

There's always some conflict between the marketers, who are mostly concerned about how "flashy" the thing looks, the programmers, often more concerned about just making things work than making them "pretty," and of course the lawyers, concerned with just making sure nobody gets sued. I think the linear channels gave us the worst of all three: the marketers just wanted a long, impressive-looking list of channels in the guide and wanted it yesterday, the lawyers made sure there'd be no recording, and the programmers just did the least they could to make the $#@% things work at all, leaving out even basic things like time-shifting and working EPGs.

Unlike most of you, I don't think linear TV was a bad idea; I just think it was badly done in the rush to get "something" out. Kind of like the DVR+ itself in the beginning. New owners should go skim the start of this thread to see how the initial hype was followed by disillusionment, then gradual, two-steps-forward-one-step-back firmware improvements.

Given that history, 124R really isn't that bad. I personally had blocked automatic updates long before 123R/124R were released; partially on general principles (we all know the DVR+ will eventually force you to let it update, and I don't like the idea of CM or anyone else taking control of equipment they once sold me - it makes me feel like I don't really own it!), and partly because of all the horror stories I read here about the 111R firmware update. But once others had given 124R a "shakedown criuse," I went ahead and installed it manually. And while linear TV has been an increasingly big disappointment, I'm OK with staying at 124R.

BTW, some linear TV stats:
Total channels displayed: 30 (not counting "add your channel here )
Number currently not working: 10 by my count
Number also available OTA in my area: 3 (Biz TV, LC, and JTV)
(Several more are available on Dish Network - and, I presume, other satellite/cable services)

Doesn't leave much.
pilotart likes this.
post #9278 of 9492 Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I don't understand why they emphasized the linear "free" channels over also adding Sling TV.
post #9279 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Has anyone had wide fluctuations on the DVR % left? Brand new to the DVR+ and using a 128GB USB stick. I recorded about 11 hours of standard def tv and 45 mins of High Def TV. Being conservative, I would estimate that I used up ~38GB of data but my DVR+ said that I had 40% of my drive utilized. That insinuates that I had about 96GB in total on the USB Drive instead of 128GB. I don't expect 100% of the USB drive to be eligible for recording but surely the DVR+ isn't leaving ~25% of my storage unavailable?

I will say that it was the first time recording with the DVR+ and the USB stick, so maybe after the initial recording process, things become smoother?
post #9280 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallik View Post
Has anyone had wide fluctuations on the DVR % left? Brand new to the DVR+ and using a 128GB USB stick. I recorded about 11 hours of standard def tv and 45 mins of High Def TV. Being conservative, I would estimate that I used up ~38GB of data but my DVR+ said that I had 40% of my drive utilized. That insinuates that I had about 96GB in total on the USB Drive instead of 128GB. I don't expect 100% of the USB drive to be eligible for recording but surely the DVR+ isn't leaving ~25% of my storage unavailable?

I will say that it was the first time recording with the DVR+ and the USB stick, so maybe after the initial recording process, things become smoother?
When using an external drive, the DVR+ creates 2 partitions. One partition for the actual streaming video files and the other for housekeeping information and the like. Those that have done more of a deep dive into the bits and bytes (like @pachinko ) can tell you more and/or correct my simplified explanation.
post #9281 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:

You are the first person that has reported using a USB stick. Please keep us informed on how well this works for you in the future.
post #9282 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
You are the first person that has reported using a USB stick. Please keep us informed on how well this works for you in the future.
I would expect short living EDD when using USB flash drive.
post #9283 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
I would expect short living EDD when using USB flash drive.

That is what I was thinking, short life span, but if it does last, how easy it would be no spin down or up time.
post #9284 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Here’s my thoughts about this (ignoring whether a Stick should be used or not).

1. When a recording is deleted, the DVR+ does not always reclaim that space in a timely manner. Wait a long while (hours) to recheck the percentage used. I’m leaning toward this being the real problem. That said, use the menu system to disconnect the Stick, then reconnect it. I haven’t done any tests to see if that causes the percentage used to update, but it’s worth a try, and I’ll have to experiment with that myself when I get a chance.

2. Don’t estimate how large the recordings are, connect the Stick to a computer and check the file sizes. It may surprise you!

3. @RTPVid is correct that the DVR+ creates two partitions. The first partition is about 977MB (call it 1GB) and is used for data files, no recordings, so take that into consideration, although that’s only 1/128th of the Sticks capacity, so not that big of a deal. The 2nd partition “should” use all of the remaining space, but maybe not (see the item 4 below).

4. Until version 123/124R, the DVR+ wasted nearly 1/3 of any USB HDD over 2 TB. That’s been fixed in 123/124R, but only after reformatting the disk. I have never tried recording to a USB Stick, but maybe there’s some limitation like that happening with them. The only way to know for certain is to plug the Stick into a computer and use the tools that come with the OS to check the partition sizes. If you’re using Windows, you’ll need to install a program like Ext2Fsd (it’s freeware) or Windows will not recognize the device.

5. What DVR+ version are you running?
macallik likes this.
post #9285 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Recording HD video is very demanding for a typical USB stick, although a few USB 3.0 sticks can handle it. Recording SD is probably safer, but I wouldn't be surprised if even the small amount of HD you recorded caused some (probably bogus) write errors, which may have flagged quite a few sectors as bad. That may have eaten up some of your USB stick's space.

You can try the DVR+'s "Check Disk" option (in the DVR / DVR Setup menu), but the only way to tell for sure is to hook it up to a PC and add the file sizes and the free space. If it's a lot less than 120 GB, you either have sectors marked bad or the Ext equivalent of "lost clusters" (although I'd expect Check Disk to clean up the latter).
post #9286 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Kind of a newbie question, but with Fall TV around the corner I just wanted to get some clarification. I know the DVR+ records a minute before and after the set timer (or something like that). So if I have it set to record two different shows from 7-8pm, and then 2 different shows from 8-9pm, how does that work with the time buffer? Will it just start the 8pm recordings at 8:01pm or will it skip them all together?
post #9287 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Kind of a newbie question, but with Fall TV around the corner I just wanted to get some clarification. I know the DVR+ records a minute before and after the set timer (or something like that). So if I have it set to record two different shows from 7-8pm, and then 2 different shows from 8-9pm, how does that work with the time buffer? Will it just start the 8pm recordings at 8:01pm or will it skip them all together?
First, you can instruct a recording to have padding of various lengths, or none at all (edit the scheduled recording after creating the schedule). There is a default that is set in the menu (DVR, DVR Setup, Recording Setup).

Second, back up 5 days and read a couple of posts by JHBrant.

JHBrandt, 08-05-2015, 09:53 PM (central)
JHBrandt, 08-01-2015, 08:48 PM (central)

They should answer most of your question (and suggest a workaround), but they don’t identify which padding is dropped (the lead out of the first recording, the lead in of the second, or both). I’m kicking myself for not having paid attention to this, but I believe it drops the lead out padding. My apologies if I’m wrong.... After jericko76's later post below, I see I was wrong, it's both overlapping paddings that are dropped!

Try scheduling a couple of back to back recordings tonight, and tell us what you discover!
jericko76 likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 08-10-2015 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Correct bad info
post #9288 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
First, you can instruct a recording to have padding of various lengths, or none at all (edit the scheduled recording after creating the schedule). There is a default that is set in the menu (DVR, DVR Setup, Recording Setup).

Second, back up 5 days and read a couple of posts by JHBrant.

JHBrandt, 08-05-2015, 09:53 PM (central)
JHBrandt, 08-01-2015, 08:48 PM (central)

They should answer most of your question (and suggest a workaround), but they don’t identify which padding is dropped (the lead out of the first recording, the lead in of the second, or both). I’m kicking myself for not having paid attention to this, but I believe it drops the lead out padding. My apologies if I’m wrong.

Try scheduling a couple of back to back recordings tonight, and tell us what you discover!

Thanks pachinko for that info, I try and keep up with this thread, but I missed JHBrandt's very useful posts. I am actually going to try and verify tonight for myself, I just set my DVR+ to record 2 shows tonight from 9-9:30pm and 2 more from 9:30-10pm on different channels. I will report back how it handles the buffer.
pachinko likes this.
post #9289 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Here’s my thoughts about this (ignoring whether a Stick should be used or not).
1. When a recording is deleted, the DVR+ does not always reclaim that space in a timely manner. Wait a long while (hours) to recheck the percentage used. I’m leaning toward this being the real problem. That said, use the menu system to disconnect the Stick, then reconnect it. I haven’t done any tests to see if that causes the percentage used to update, but it’s worth a try, and I’ll have to experiment with that myself when I get a chance.
I think this might be the case as well. When I deleted programs, it wouldn't show them as deleted on the DVR+. I hit the power button off/on after each delete and the % would drop a few percentage points. When I watched the majority of my shows, I noticed the space was freeing up at a much quicker pace, but that could be because by the time I had watched a show, the DVR+ fully registered the deletion that I had made a few hours ago

Quote:
2. Don’t estimate how large the recordings are, connect the Stick to a computer and check the file sizes. It may surprise you!
Can do. I will give this a shot after next Friday when I do some more marathon taping of Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Quote:
3. @RTPVid is correct that the DVR+ creates two partitions. The first partition is about 977MB (call it 1GB) and is used for data files, no recordings, so take that into consideration, although that’s only 1/128th of the Sticks capacity, so not that big of a deal. The 2nd partition “should” use all of the remaining space, but maybe not (see the item 4 below).
Quote:
4. Until version 123/124R, the DVR+ wasted nearly 1/3 of any USB HDD over 2 TB. That’s been fixed in 123/124R, but only after reformatting the disk. I have never tried recording to a USB Stick, but maybe there’s some limitation like that happening with them. The only way to know for certain is to plug the Stick into a computer and use the tools that come with the OS to check the partition sizes. If you’re using Windows, you’ll need to install a program likeExt2Fsd (it’s freeware) or Windows will not recognize the device.
Gonna check this out tomorrow

Quote:
5. What DVR+ version are you running?
I have been using what I believe is the latest version. (124R-0.5)
I will say that the numbers are a lot more in line with what I expected after deleting a few programs. A handful of the recorded programs had a lot of interference as well, so perhaps the interference might make the recording larger than normal as well?

I will follow up with the advice given and report back what I find.
pachinko likes this.
post #9290 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks pachinko for that info, I try and keep up with this thread, but I missed JHBrandt's very useful posts. I am actually going to try and verify tonight for myself, I just set my DVR+ to record 2 shows tonight from 9-9:30pm and 2 more from 9:30-10pm on different channels. I will report back how it handles the buffer.

Here are the results from my 4 recordings. It appears the buffers that runs over is cut off to accommodate the 2nd show to record, but that only starts right at the exact time and ignores the start buffer. This is pretty much what I was hoping it would do.

artisticimaging and pilotart like this.

Last edited by jericko76; 08-10-2015 at 08:27 PM.
post #9291 of 9492 Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Here are the results from my 4 recordings. It appears the buffers that runs over is cut off to accommodate the 2nd show to record, but that only starts right at the exact time and ignores the start buffer. This is pretty much what I was hoping it would do.
Thanks! I've corrected my previous post to reflect these findings.
jericko76 likes this.
post #9292 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 03:32 AM
ALP

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
HELP! I am a complete newbie when it comes to a DVR+ and this thread is very intimidating. I am planing to get two DVR+ units. The only thing I will use them for is simple time shifting of broadcast TV (OTA). I plan to use both as two channel recorders, thus I am considering both with the 1TB internal storage. I have not read the over 9000+ posts in this thread, so some of my questions have probably been asked before, please forgive my ignorance. I come from the land of Maggi SD DVR's which I have used for years. I want to upgrade to HD DVR's. I have briefly experimented with Phillips HD DVR's and I like them (they are very similar to the Maggi's) but the way they imprint each external HDD so that it can only be played back on the unit it was recorded on makes recording something on the upstairs DVR (master bedroom) and playing it back on the downstairs DVR (family room with main video system) or the other way around cumbersome at best.

I have read through the users guide from CM and find it lacking in many ways. Also from what I have read in this thread I am very reluctant to invest in DVR+ units because the soft firmware status seems half baked. So here are my many questions.

What is the best way to buy the DVR+ units? From CM on-line or are there other sources?

How reliable are these things on a day to day basis? As I reference point in the last year I have had one or maybe two programs that I missed due to a malfunction in recording (most likely due to operator error).

What is the maximum external HDD capacity that the DVR+ can use (I read some where that it is now larger than 2 TB, but does anyone know what the maximum is)?

Can I move recorded programs from the internal HDD to the external HDD and the reverse?

Can I record programs to the external HDD on one unit, take that external HDD to the other unit and play them back on the other (second) unit?

Is there a limit as to how many external HDD's I can use with any given DVR+ ? (The Philips units limit the external HDD's to 8 per unit)

Because of the unusual shape of our house our Wi Fi signal does not reach our master bedroom (this is actually a good thing - it keeps laptops out of the master bedroom). How hard is it to program recording manually without using the program guide.

Because our house was built in 1973 there is no in wall Ethernet wiring, however, our Wi Fi router is in the family room so there is a strong Wi Fi signal there. What USB Wi Fi receiving attachment is recommended for use with the DVR+? After reading some of this thread I will set the software update to manual on that unit.

I am sorry I have so many questions.

Tony Plachy
post #9293 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I would insist to reading the thread and get answers, it would give much more knowledge about the DVR. At least Internet etiquette suggest initial reading, absorbing info before post reduntant requests.
At least use Search feature...
post #9294 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
HELP! I am a complete newbie when it comes to a DVR+ and this thread is very intimidating. I am planing to get two DVR+ units. The only thing I will use them for is simple time shifting of broadcast TV (OTA). I plan to use both as two channel recorders, thus I am considering both with the 1TB internal storage. I have not read the over 9000+ posts in this thread, so some of my questions have probably been asked before, please forgive my ignorance. I come from the land of Maggi SD DVR's which I have used for years. I want to upgrade to HD DVR's. I have briefly experimented with Phillips HD DVR's and I like them (they are very similar to the Maggi's) but the way they imprint each external HDD so that it can only be played back on the unit it was recorded on makes recording something on the upstairs DVR (master bedroom) and playing it back on the downstairs DVR (family room with main video system) or the other way around cumbersome at best.

I have read through the users guide from CM and find it lacking in many ways. Also from what I have read in this thread I am very reluctant to invest in DVR+ units because the soft firmware status seems half baked. So here are my many questions.

1. What is the best way to buy the DVR+ units? From CM on-line or are there other sources?

2. How reliable are these things on a day to day basis? As I reference point in the last year I have had one or maybe two programs that I missed due to a malfunction in recording (most likely due to operator error).

3. What is the maximum external HDD capacity that the DVR+ can use (I read some where that it is now larger than 2 TB, but does anyone know what the maximum is)?

4. Can I move recorded programs from the internal HDD to the external HDD and the reverse?

5. Can I record programs to the external HDD on one unit, take that external HDD to the other unit and play them back on the other (second) unit?

6. Is there a limit as to how many external HDD's I can use with any given DVR+ ? (The Philips units limit the external HDD's to 8 per unit)

7. Because of the unusual shape of our house our Wi Fi signal does not reach our master bedroom (this is actually a good thing - it keeps laptops out of the master bedroom). How hard is it to program recording manually without using the program guide.

8. Because our house was built in 1973 there is no in wall Ethernet wiring, however, our Wi Fi router is in the family room so there is a strong Wi Fi signal there. What USB Wi Fi receiving attachment is recommended for use with the DVR+? After reading some of this thread I will set the software update to manual on that unit.

1. I don’t have much of an opinion about this, other than CM sometimes has various types of sales, so if you can wait for one you may save some bucks.

2. Some have reported missing a recording now and then, but I don’t believe I’ve missed any.

3. I’m using a 3TB USB HDD, and someone reported using a 4TB unit. Unless you install version 124R, and format the drive under that version, you’ll only get 2TB (because there’s a bug prior to 124R that CM refuses to acknowledge). However, the DVR+ currently supports a maximum of 999 recordings, and unless CM removes this limitation, the larger the capacity of the EHD, the more likely you’ll run into this limitation.

4. NO! Can’t move recordings in either direction, without extraordinary measures, and I mean extraordinary! CM has confirmed that they do NOT support this activity. Further, if you decide to get the 1TB internal disk model, and also attach a USB HDD for additional storage, you’ll immediately discover that the DVR+ supports ONLY one storage device at a time. CM acknowledges this, and so does the DVR+ when you connect an EHD.

5 . Yes! It’s relatively easy, but it is HIGHLY recommended that you use the menu system of the DVR+ to properly disconnect the USB HDD. The connector is on the back of the DVR+, so you’ll need access. To connect to the other unit, after properly disconnecting it’s EHD (if any), just plug it in at any time there is a blue light (dim or bright), but not if the DVR+ is recording to the internal disk (red light). The DVR+ will see the EHD and prompt a couple of times for you to allow the EHD to be attached, at which time the internal disk will be disconnected. The time it takes varies, but say about a minute on each DVR+.

6. No. CM has stated this to me, and I’ve seen nothing that indicates otherwise. However, even though there are two USB ports on the DVR+, only one storage device can be used at a time.

7. Not very hard if you use the 2 day PSIP Guide, in which case it’s like using the 14 day Rovi Guide. It can also be “manually” programmed similar a VCR without any guide data, and that’s relatively simple too, except if you want to give the recording a proper name through the online keyboard.

8. Not all WiFi dongles work. There are numerous post in this thread on this matter. WiFi dongles are a very hot topic! If you don’t want to take a chance on getting one that doesn’t work, you’ll have to get the over priced WiFi dongle from CM. If you’re going to try one from another source, look for one with the model number “RTL8192CU”. For "VID_" and "PID_" values, see the post by P Smith on 12-31-2013 at 07:08PM (central) .

From your questions, I would recommend buying two 16GB models (no internal HDD), and one USB HDD for each. The EHDs give you choices, and if you’d like to move recordings to a computer, without extraordinary measures, it’s currently the only practical way to move them. That said, and if you were networked, a couple of months back there was a member experimenting with building his own Whole Home DVR+ network using a BeagleBone device (search this thread for “BeagleBone”, there aren’t many posts), but things have gone quiet on this since then! CM promised Whole Home since the very beginning, but has not delivered.

If you would like to move recordings to a computer, you’ll want to get the latest copy of DVR+ Lister. It’s a Windows based program, and for Windows you’ll need a program such as Ext2Fsd or Windows will not recognized the Linux formatted disk.
Jim in Phoenix and pilotart like this.
post #9295 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 05:38 AM
ALP

Quote:
I would insist to reading the thread and get answers, it would give much more knowledge about the DVR. At least Internet etiquette suggest initial reading, absorbing info before post reduntant requests.
At least use Search feature...
I am sorry, but your suggestion is not helpful in either way. The problem with threads this long is there is just too many post to go through in any practical manner, thus to anyone who joins the thread late in the game cannot benefit from this much information (maybe on the Mediterranean Sea all 9200+ post can be read, but not here). I did a search on HDD since many of my questions are about the HDD to be used with the unit and the search found this and many unrelated threads. Obviously that is not helping me. Is there a way just to search just this thread? If there is a way to just search this thread will someone please show me how.
pilotart likes this.

Tony Plachy
post #9296 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Use the "Search This Thread" box at the top of the page. Next to Thread Tools
pilotart likes this.
post #9297 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 AM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kerbie View Post
Use the "Search This Thread" box at the top of the page. Next to Thread Tools
I see said the blind man. Do I feel like a dumb a$$.
pilotart likes this.

Tony Plachy
post #9298 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am sorry, but your suggestion is not helpful in either way. The problem with threads this long is there is just too many post to go through in any practical manner, thus to anyone who joins the thread late in the game cannot benefit from this much information (maybe on the Mediterranean Sea all 9200+ post can be read, but not here). I did a search on HDD since many of my questions are about the HDD to be used with the unit and the search found this and many unrelated threads. Obviously that is not helping me. Is there a way just to search just this thread? If there is a way to just search this thread will someone please show me how.
My current location doesn't matter - the matter is I'm really reading all posts here and these in threads of previous models: dtvpaldvr & cm7000-dvr ... check my posts as a proof of my awareness
post #9299 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 AM
ALP

Quote:
1. I don’t have much of an opinion about this, other than CM sometimes has various types of sales, so if you can wait for one you may save some bucks.

2. Some have reported missing a recording now and then, but I don’t believe I’ve missed any.

3. I’m using a 3TB USB HDD, and someone reported using a 4TB unit. Unless you install version 124R, and format the drive under that version, you’ll only get 2TB (because there’s a bug prior to 124R that CM refuses to acknowledge). However, the DVR+ currently supports a maximum of 999 recordings, and unless CM removes this limitation, the larger the capacity of the EHD, the more likely you’ll run into this limitation.

4. NO! Can’t move recordings in either direction, without extraordinary measures, and I mean extraordinary! CM has confirmed that they do NOT support this activity. Further, if you decide to get the 1TB internal disk model, and also attach a USB HDD for additional storage, you’ll immediately discover that the DVR+ supports ONLY one storage device at a time. CM acknowledges this, and so does the DVR+ when you connect an EHD.

5 . Yes! It’s relatively easy, but it is HIGHLY recommended that you use the menu system of the DVR+ to properly disconnect the USB HDD. The connector is on the back of the DVR+, so you’ll need access. To connect to the other unit, after properly disconnecting it’s EHD (if any), just plug it in at any time there is a blue light (dim or bright), but not if the DVR+ is recording to the internal disk (red light). The DVR+ will see the EHD and prompt a couple of times for you to allow the EHD to be attached, at which time the internal disk will be disconnected. The time it takes varies, but say about a minute on each DVR+.

6. No. CM has stated this to me, and I’ve seen nothing that indicates otherwise. However, even though there are two USB ports on the DVR+, only one storage device can be used at a time.

7. Not very hard if you use the 2 day PSIP Guide, in which case it’s like using the 14 day Rovi Guide. It can also be “manually” programmed similar a VCR without any guide data, and that’s relatively simple too, except if you want to give the recording a proper name through the online keyboard.

8. Not all WiFi dongles work. There are numerous post in this thread on this matter. WiFi dongles are a very hot topic! If you don’t want to take a chance on getting one that doesn’t work, you’ll have to get the over priced WiFi dongle from CM. If you’re going to try one from another source, look for one with the model number “RTL8192CU”. For "VID_" and "PID_" values, see the post by P Smith on 12-31-2013 at 07:08PM (central) .

From your questions, I would recommend buying two 16GB models (no internal HDD), and one USB HDD for each. The EHDs give you choices, and if you’d like to move recordings to a computer, without extraordinary measures, it’s currently the only practical way to move them. That said, and if you were networked, a couple of months back there was a member experimenting with building his own Whole Home DVR+ network using a BeagleBone device (search this thread for “BeagleBone”, there aren’t many posts), but things have gone quiet on this since then! CM promised Whole Home since the very beginning, but has not delivered.

If you would like to move recordings to a computer, you’ll want to get the latest copy of DVR+ Lister. It’s a Windows based program, and for Windows you’ll need a program such as Ext2Fsd or Windows will not recognized the Linux formatted disk.
pachinko, Thank you so much for these great answers. I see your point about going with the 16GB unit, it makes more sense. I had incorrectly assumed that when the unit records two programs at once that it uses a different HDD for each program, however, that is not the case based on what you explained in your post. With respect to EHD size we tend to watch (and thus record) programs that are 1 to 2 hours long (very few half hour programs). According to the CM website 1TB gets you 190 hours of HD recording, thus 4TB would be about 640 hours and at 1 hour a title I would still be limited by the EHD size and not the 999 limit. If I call the people at CM and ask them what is the maximum EHD size the machine will recognize will they answer my question or is there some reason why they want to keep it a secret. I understand about the Linux thing (it seems most DVR's use a Linus system for recording to an HDD), I hope to avoid having to use a computer as part of my video system.

Now to the subject of WiFi dongles, I have to say that what I know about WiFi dongles will fit on your thumb nail, with room to spare. Where is the one on the CM site, I could not find it? If it isn't too outrageous in price I may just go that way.

I whole home DVR+ network would be cool, however, then I would have to figure out how to get WiFi into the master bedroom, which I think involves something called a repeater. I know about as much about repeaters as I do about dongles. Thank you again.

Tony Plachy
post #9300 of 9492 Old 08-11-2015, 06:55 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Because of the unusual shape of our house our Wi Fi signal does not reach our master bedroom (this is actually a good thing - it keeps laptops out of the master bedroom). How hard is it to program recording manually without using the program guide.

Because our house was built in 1973 there is no in wall Ethernet wiring, however, our Wi Fi router is in the family room so there is a strong Wi Fi signal there. What USB Wi Fi receiving attachment is recommended for use with the DVR+? After reading some of this thread I will set the software update to manual on that unit.

As usual, pachinko has some very good answers and advice. In addition there's a couple other thoughts I'd like to throw out.

As to the lack of WiFi signal in the master bedroom, you could try a WiFi range extender. I've never used one, but they look like they would solve your dead zone problem.

As to the WiFi adapter for the DVR+, in post #8195 on page 274 (if your number of posts per page is set to the default) of this thread, the Rosewill RNX-N250UBE was reported to work with the DVR+. I haven't used it myself, just passing along the info.
pachinko likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread