Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 311 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2812Likes

Old 08-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
... If I call the people at CM and ask them what is the maximum EHD size the machine will recognize will they answer my question or is there some reason why they want to keep it a secret.
For the most part CM answers questions, and will probably answer your question about the maximum EHD size. You can call them, or do like I do and email them so that I have their reply in writing! I will be pleasantly surprised if they say anything larger than 3TB (because they haven’t tested many drives, and only guarantee the models they sell), and the largest they sell is 3TB. Before contacting them, read their Q&A page on “Why is my DVR+ External Hard Drive not working correctly?”, as it’s fairly informative, although they don’t mention the maximum size:

The main Q&A page is at http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...200031460-DVR-

FYI, the question they refused to answer, and later refused to acknowledge on facebook, was the issue with the 2TB limitation on disks larger than 2TB, but they quietly fixed it in 123/124R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Make AVS Forum Links that work for all posts per page settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
... in post #8195 on page 274 (if your number of posts per page is set to the default) of this thread,...
A couple of months ago I stumbled upon a method of providing an AVS Forum URL that will work no matter what your post per page setting is. I posted what I found but I'm posting it again with the hope that others will pick up on it. It doesn’t do anything about the ever changing post numbers, but with a universal link the post number is relatively unimportant.

Here’s what to do:

1. Right click on the post number at the upper right of the desired post, and click “Copy Link Location” (or whatever it may be labeled in your browser).

2. Paste the link somewhere (in the reply, in a text editor, etc), so that you can modify it a little bit. Below is an example of what it might look like (came from the post to which I’m replying, and my post per page count is 100). I had to use some blank spaces in the URL to get the URL to display, so ignore them.

http: //www. avsforum. com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-93.html#post36414466

3. Here’s the trick. Replace the page number (in this example 93) with everything after the # symbol (in this example, post36414466).

4. The modified URL would be this:

http: //www. avsforum. com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-post36414466.html#post36414466

5. Use the modified URL!

Note 1: If you find someone’s link did not deliver the correct post, just modify the URL in the Browser’s Address Bar per these instructions.

Note 2: The URLs provided from Searches, and from a Members History (Click a members name, then click "Find more posts by..."), are "universal" as well. The one from "Find more posts by..." is identical to what's described above. The one from Searches is similar.

Another Method (by JHBrandt, April 20, 2016):

@ JHBrandt; discovered another way to "universalize" AVS Forum URLs when making an AVS Forum post. Click HERE to read about it.

Last edited by pachinko; 04-20-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Add another method
Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Because of the unusual shape of our house our Wi Fi signal does not reach our master bedroom (this is actually a good thing - it keeps laptops out of the master bedroom). How hard is it to program recording manually without using the program guide.

Because our house was built in 1973 there is no in wall Ethernet wiring, however, our Wi Fi router is in the family room so there is a strong Wi Fi signal there. What USB Wi Fi receiving attachment is recommended for use with the DVR+? After reading some of this thread I will set the software update to manual on that unit.
I think you'll find the PSIP guide for the unit you cannot connect to the Internet to be substandard and extremely frustrating. You will be depending on the TV station to keep the info updated and my experience here with the single station that does not have the Rovi guide data is that it is very poor.

You might look at the powerline adapters; depending on your house's wiring, you may be able to use one of those for the Rovi guide updates.

You have some excellent answers, but I wanted to add an additional caveat that isn't spoken of much, and you didn't ask about. The Rovi guide will provide information only for the stations considered within "your market" based on your zip code. If you are between markets, you could end up with only three or four channels with actual guide data. If all your channels come from a single market, then this won't be a concern. But if you straddle two different markets I think it tilts the choice in favor of the Tivo Roamio OTA DVR with a lifetime subscription (if you can still find it). The Roamio doesn't depend on a single zip code to retrieve the guide data. There is a thread here on it. Were I to choose now, I would go with the Tivo because of the better guide data if it were not much more.
JoeKustra, JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Pleasantville, NY seems pretty close to NYC so the DMA should be a non-issue. You shouldn't be talking about the revived great deals for the TiVo Roamio OTA or you might get spanked.
artisticimaging and JHBrandt like this.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 08-12-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
Here are the results from my 4 recordings. It appears the buffers that runs over is cut off to accommodate the 2nd show to record, but that only starts right at the exact time and ignores the start buffer. This is pretty much what I was hoping it would do.

That's been my experience as well. The DVR+ drops both the end-padding of the first recording and the start-padding of the second, so the first recording ends exactly at the scheduled time and the second recording starts at the same time (within a few seconds).

Under the constraint of non-overlapping recordings, that's probably the best choice. And if the DVR+, the station it's recording, and the network were all perfectly synchronized, it would probably work pretty well. But of course that's almost never exactly the case, so there's usually a few seconds missing, usually from the beginning of the second recording but sometimes from the end of the first, depending on which way the synchronization errors go. (BTW, overlapping just a GOP or two, as some have suggested, wouldn't be enough; that would only be a few seconds of overlap and the synchronization error between the DVR+'s clock and the program end & start times is usually more than that.)
jericko76 likes this.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I know others have already answered these, but here are my two cents:

Quote:
What is the best way to buy the DVR+ units? From CM on-line or are there other sources? For new units, direct from CM online. They're available from Amazon but cost more. If you're willing to consider a used unit, Ebay is fine (that's what I did).

How reliable are these things on a day to day basis? Pretty reliable; in my experience, even better than WMC on a PC! But consider a UPS for maximum reliability.

Can I move recorded programs from the internal HDD to the external HDD and the reverse? No. Because of this limitation, consider buying the much cheaper 16GB model and external USB HDDs. You'll have more flexibility and save money at the same time.

Can I record programs to the external HDD on one unit, take that external HDD to the other unit and play them back on the other (second) unit? Yes.

Is there a limit as to how many external HDD's I can use with any given DVR+ ? (The Philips units limit the external HDD's to 8 per unit) Only one HDD can be connected at a time. No overall limit.

Because of the unusual shape of our house our Wi Fi signal does not reach our master bedroom (this is actually a good thing - it keeps laptops out of the master bedroom). How hard is it to program recording manually without using the program guide. Not hard at all. The DVR+ will provide a short guide broadcast by most TV stations, called a "PSIP" guide. But consider power-line adapters to give your bedroom DVR+ Internet access. (Just keep the Ethernet cable short so no one is tempted to plug in a laptop instead!)

Because our house was built in 1973 there is no in wall Ethernet wiring, however, our Wi Fi router is in the family room so there is a strong Wi Fi signal there. What USB Wi Fi receiving attachment is recommended for use with the DVR+? Oh, that's a can of worms. The easiest recommendation is to stick with CM's overpriced adapter; but if you get two power-line adapters and Ethernet cables for the bedroom DVR+, you can add a third for the family room DVR+ for not much more and just avoid WiFi entirely.

After reading some of this thread I will set the software update to manual on that unit. Another can of worms - there is no such setting on the DVR+. You have to do it at your Internet router.
pilotart likes this.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 297
@ALP I am also a newbie on DVR+ (one month and just love it

After reading (I did "Search This Thread" on Keywords and then read from when they started being delivered all the way to a year ago (scary stuff there) and then Channel Master surprised me with a three day early delivery), I knew to avoid "WiFi Dongles" for the DVR+.

It is much happier on a LAN (Ethernet) connection.

The "Wall Plug LAN" was mentioned above, I was almost ready to order that, but saw some with Home Designs similar to mine (one floor, long runs to Service Box and back to Router and DVR+ Location) had less than stellar results. Home designs involving several floors did much better. We don't even have Basements in Florida, they'ed just float up out of the ground. (You have to be careful not to drain your pool too much, it was embarrassing when the Sarasota County Engineer's Pool Popped up out of the ground.)

Instead of the "Wall Plug" Route, I just bought a WiFi adapter (to Ethernet LAN Cable):

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o04_s00

I then added a 20' LAN Cable (that I could run 'out-of-sight') to place that adapter where I wanted it. I'm betting your WiFi issues to your bedroom are due to a vertical layout and very likely you will be much better off with the Power line Adapter:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
Especially with more than one DVR+

In either case, it will keep the Laptops out of your bedroom and make your DVR+ much happier than a WiFi feed.

A Great aide to OTA enjoyment and DVR+ Programming is www.titantv.com This has more complete programming information than Rovi Guide by far. I registered with them over a year ago (for customizing to suite my needs) and never had the first trace of SPAM resulting from it.

I can recommend ordering direct from Channel Master, no tax, quick standard shipping and super support (quick responses by them in minutes to hours after emails to them) and most importantly they understood my questions.

I'm sure you read all the great help I received on this site so I could enable update-blocks keeping me on my preferred (as delivered) 'secret' 115R Stable Firmware. (I'm only using one TB HD's and all their other 'enhancements' were detriments for me.)

This is the place to be for knowledge, CM's Manual (pdf) is nicely written, but there's So Much it doesn't even mention
Art
JHBrandt likes this.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:45 PM
ALP

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Power line adapters for internet signals is not a good idea if you care about PQ and the performance of high-end audio gear. Putting internet signals on your home power lines can put so much digital "hash" on those lines that even the best gear can have its power supplies overwhelmed and even many power conditioners used to imporve the quality of the power line signal cannot handle it. Keep it clean!

Tony Plachy
Old 08-12-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Power line adapters for internet signals is not a good idea if you care about PQ and the performance of high-end audio gear. Putting internet signals on your home power lines can put so much digital "hash" on those lines that even the best gear can have its power supplies overwhelmed and even many power conditioners used to imporve the quality of the power line signal cannot handle it. Keep it clean!
Silly question. Do power line adapters work if your device is on a UPS? Or do you plug the adapter into an outlet without "protection"?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 PM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Silly question. Do power line adapters work if your device is on a UPS? Or do you plug the adapter into an outlet without "protection"?
Joe, I am not sure. I think many UPS's are really power conditioners with surge protection. A true UPS is either battery operated or connected to an emergency generator. If the UPS plays the role of a power conditioner and surge protection it almost certainly have some filtering in it to reduce power line noise which would probably impact the internet signal.
JoeKustra likes this.

Tony Plachy
Old 08-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
From my research prior to discarding the idea of "Powerline Adapters" for my use, I found out that they do not work through a UPS or Surge Protector.

Living in the Lightening Capital, I have lots of Surge Protection starting at the Service Box, and including a UPS at the DVR+ site.

With my WiFi adapter into DVR+'s Ethernet the only Streaming Video I tried was YouTube and it worked fine, but my TV did it better with a Bluetooth Air Mouse Remote and other advantages.

Other than that YouTube Session, DVR+ has piped 100% of my TV for the past month.
Art
JoeKustra likes this.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies. I don't have nearly as many power failures as in previous years, but I still get a surge to 160VAC every few weeks. Everything I have is on a UPS, and I appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My 2 cents again:

I don't use "high-end" audio equipment, but I've never experienced any picture quality issues with power-line Ethernet adapters at my home. I wouldn't expect such issues with digital displays, but I haven't seen any problems with older analog TVs either. Of course, as always, YMMV.

I haven't tried it, but I would not expect power-line adapters to work through a UPS. I plug my UPS into the top plug of a standard 2-plug wall socket and the PLA into the bottom plug, avoiding the issue. (I should say that PLAs work fine on a simple power strip, as you would probably expect since the latter is just a glorified triple tap or two with a switch. I'm only talking about a true UPS with an internal battery and inverter.)

Surge protectors are more of a gray area. I'd expect PLAs to work with simple MOV-based ones, but not with ones that include any RFI filtering. Usually you can't tell by looking - you'd just have to try it and see.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
My 2 cents again:

I don't use "high-end" audio equipment, but I've never experienced any picture quality issues with power-line Ethernet adapters at my home. I wouldn't expect such issues with digital displays, but I haven't seen any problems with older analog TVs either. Of course, as always, YMMV.
I have relied on my ZyXel power line Ethernet kit for several years, and my throughput has been clean and error-free. I feed my DVR+, Roku, and other network devices over the line without issue, and the two connecting adapters are not even on the same electrical circuit (though that is supposed to be the most reliable configuration).

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Do you have a source for this?
JoeKustra likes this.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:43 PM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Do you have a source for this?
Yes, But it will take me a while to find it. Several years ago (which the way my mind works means two or three years ago) there was a brief (one page article) in HiFi News & Record Review (HFN&RR) about the impact of putting WiFi onto your house power lines. For those not into audio HFN&RR is the grandfather of all modern consumer audio magazines. It was started in England back in the 50's (I think). I have a subscription and in theory have all of my back issues. To make matters much worse the bookshelves in my study collapsed late last year and I have been in a very lengthy and often interrupted process of building a super set of bookshelves that should out live me. Due to the collapse, magazines (I subscribe to about 8 audio and music magazines) are boxed up as well as being scattered here, there and everywhere. I will try to locate where the 2014, 2013 and 2012 issues of HFN&RR are and look through them to find the article. Do not hold your breath.

Tony Plachy
Old 08-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I just deleted over half the shows on my DVR+ and my space used is still the same. I have a 1 TB Toshiba drive, and should be down to 1 or 2% used now, but it still shows 11%. Is there something I need to do to reclaim the space?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I just deleted over half the shows on my DVR+ and my space used is still the same. I have a 1 TB Toshiba drive, and should be down to 1 or 2% used now, but it still shows 11%. Is there something I need to do to reclaim the space?
You basically flagged several files to be deleted but it takes it time to do so and reflect the changes. Check back in an hour and you'll see the progress happening.
jericko76 likes this.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Wait. There are multiple confirmed reports that the space indicator does not change instantly when you delete files. It'll take a while before the DVR+ notices that you made space.
jericko76 likes this.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
optical is what I like to see. I am oldschool lol
Old 08-13-2015, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oh hdmi for 7.1
Old 08-13-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ham radio operators agree

Quote:
It has been a problem for some time. Here's a link to an article on this effect (for not just high end audio but Ham radio operators as well) from the ARRL about a complaint to the FCC regarding "BPL" Brodband over Power Lines.

http://www.arrl.org/broadband-over-powerline-bpl
pilotart likes this.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
did you try cold reboot ? it will run fsck()
Old 08-14-2015, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitess View Post
It has been a problem for some time. Here's a link to an article on this effect (for not just high end audio but Ham radio operators as well) from the ARRL about a complaint to the FCC regarding "BPL" Brodband over Power Lines.

http://www.arrl.org/broadband-over-powerline-bpl
The article is about utilizing the grid to distribute broadband, not EoP in the home, and how that actually pumps RF into the air. Your power conditioner gets more of a workout filtering out your cell phone charger's switch-mode wall wart and your CFL ballasts' noise, not to mention the screaming for vengeance of the vacuum cleaner, dryer or refrigerator's motors, IMHO. Or perhaps some 8 gauge Ethernet cable will keep your electrons in line for better sound?

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post
The article is about utilizing the grid to distribute broadband, not EoP in the home, and how that actually pumps RF into the air. Your power conditioner gets more of a workout filtering out your cell phone charger's switch-mode wall wart and your CFL ballasts' noise, not to mention the screaming for vengeance of the vacuum cleaner, dryer or refrigerator's motors, IMHO. Or perhaps some 8 gauge Ethernet cable will keep your electrons in line for better sound?
The real bottom line on this is simply that your DVR+ will be much happier being fed its internet from an Ethernet Connection rather than a WiFi USB Dongle, especially the buried in the back of the stack variety.

Some get good performance from the Power-Line Adapters and others do not. That depends primarily on your homes electrical system layout and surge protection along with other factors.

Mine was designed in 1986 and although we included four CATV outlets, we wanted only one telephone Jack (thinking cordless phones were the wave of the future, which eventually did come true). Home Computing existed, but the home internet did not.

For me, a WiFi Adapter does a great job feeding DVR+ good Ethernet LAN (I have good quality WiFi). My DVR+ Audio Quality comes from my OTA Tuners, not internet (I have much better sources for Pandora) and my Internet Streaming is done much better by my other sources as well. My DVR+ uses internet primarily for the Rovi Guide Scheduling. A much better (Free) Guide from titantv.com sits on my Tablet.

I value Stability from my DVR+ far more than its latest 'features' which cripple my Remote and add things I'll never use. I am happy it was delivered with a very stable 'secret' Firmware 115R and I will keep it there until I decide to give it a USB Flash. The only reason currently would be if I replaced my ample supply of one TB HD's with new three+ TB sizes.
Art
Old 08-14-2015, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
did you try cold reboot ? it will run fsck()
The most I've seen yet was 10%.

I just deleted several hours of HD Recordings and although the recordings were gone, as long as that 'DVR' page was open, it remained at 10%.

After closing and then reopening my 'DVR' page, saw it was now at 9%.

This is using a Samsung (made by Seagate) One TB external USB-3 Hard Drive.

One month now and this DVR+ is working perfectly in every way

For new or potential new DVR+ users; it's worthwhile to read this Thread from at least the early 2014 days not just to get tips like best internet feed (Not a USB Dongle) and Best Hard Drive Storage (Not Built-in) and other knowledge far beyond the Manual, but to feel great about how Great everything works in comparison with the Trials & Tribulations endured by the early adopters of 2014.

Even though the (Prism) DVR was the only thing I really missed after 'cutting-the-cable' in 2013, I truly had no idea how much the DVR+ would add to my TV enjoyment factor.
Art
Old 08-14-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

In an earlier firmware release (108R I think) you could just leave it on the "Recordings" display and watch the % used go down as it deleted files. But since 114R it doesn't update unless you exit out and get back in.

I've never seen the DVR+ take "hours" to delete files, but it can certainly take several minutes. I suppose if you deleted a large group of files at once, you could conceivably go over an hour. But it's also true that if anything interrupts the process, you can end up with the worst of both worlds: the recording is gone but the space isn't freed up. In that case I'd try a cold boot as P Smith suggested.

If that doesn't do the trick, you may have to hook the HDD up to a PC, use pachinko's DVR+ Lister program to identify files with recordings you either thought you'd deleted or don't recognize at all (such as leftover time-shifting buffers), and delete them for real on the PC.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Here is some info from CM regarding their Internet TV from Facebook:

Channel Master Hi Brett, unfortunately these providers eliminated their open feed so we are currently having discussions with each one of them to bring the channels back soon and with a permanent feed that won't disappear. And you will be sent an email when new channels are added to the platform, those are coming, too!

Channel Master Hi Jeff! Our Internet offerings are not an afterthought, we are working hard to deliver more content that is appealing to our customers. As you probably know, many content providers want to charge a monthly fee for their content. Our customers are not interested in paying for TV, so we are working to bring our customers more subscription-free content just as soon as we can.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Unfortunately for non-geek owners to clean up removed HDD content, last resort is invoke by cold reboot an inernal check&clean routine fsck(), it will run by cold reboot only.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Unfortunately for non-geek owners to clean up removed HDD content, last resort is invoke by cold reboot an inernal check&clean routine fsck(), it will run by cold reboot only.
Thanks,

Please clarify 1) whether a cold reboot means unplugging and then replugging, and 2) whether the fsck() is another explicit step the user must take or whether the DTV+ does it automatically after the cold reboot. If fsck() must be done manually by the user then I am likely out of luck if a windows computer, not a mac, is required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k