Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 313 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2839Likes

post #9361 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLorry27 View Post
Channel Master DVR+ locks up.

I purchased the Channel Master DVR+ unit a few months ago and have been using it daily. After the latest software update I've been experiencing lock ups.

What I mean by lock up is the unit stops responding to the remote and the only way to restore is to cycle the power off and then back on. I just learned from this forum that you can hold the power button in to initiate a reset, but I haven't tried that. Sometimes I can go for a week between lock up and other times it will be only a day.

I did a Factor Reset a few days ago and yet I had another lock up today. Is anyone else having this issue and is there a workaround?
When you say "cycle the power off and then back on", are you pressing the power button on the front (or pressing the power button on the remote, which is the same)? Or are you disconnecting the power cord from the wall? Firmware version 1.14R introduced some under-the-sheets bugs that are easily fixed by disconnecting the power cord for several minutes then plugging the power cord back in. What firmware version are you on? Firmware 1.24R seems to have fewer of these bugs, but I don't think that anyone has confirmed that all the bugs are resolved.
MacLorry27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
If Power Cycling and Factory Reset have not helped, it's doubtful that holding the Power button on the DVR+ will fair any better, but can't hurt to try.

Have you checked the batteries in the remote control? Try new batteries if you have them. Even if they are still good, the weak spring contacts sometimes need tweaking (I stretched mine, but don't blame me if you do it in such a way that you break the spring). Others have shimmed between the battery and the removable cover with a bit of paper or cardboard.

What is the DVR+ doing when it locks up? If it's airing one of the Internet Channels, that might be the problem. There have been several reports of some of them causing hang ups.
I have the Channel Master remote set up to work with my TV and after the Channel Master DVR+ locks up the remote still works with the TV, so it's not the batteries.

Most of the time the lock up happens when I pause live TV, but it has occurred other times as well. I have a second CM DVR+ unit that's not used much and it has been running fine for a month, so the lockup seems to be related to how much the user interacts with the unit.
post #9363 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
When you say "cycle the power off and then back on", are you pressing the power button on the front (or pressing the power button on the remote, which is the same)? Or are you disconnecting the power cord from the wall? Firmware version 1.14R introduced some under-the-sheets bugs that are easily fixed by disconnecting the power cord for several minutes then plugging the power cord back in. What firmware version are you on? Firmware 1.24R seems to have fewer of these bugs, but I don't think that anyone has confirmed that all the bugs are resolved.

When I cycle the power I'm unplugging the power supply from the wall and then plugging it back in. Actually it's plugged into a power strip that's plugged into a UPS.

Here's the version info:

Software Version: 124R (0.5)
Bootloader Version: 105S
Downloader Version: 104B - 104B

I'm connected to the internet using the Channel Master Wi-Fi USB dongle, but I don't run any apps or streaming video channels. I only need internet for the program guide and software updates.

I'm thinking this problem is a bug in 124R.
pilotart likes this.
post #9364 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
I have the Channel Master remote set up to work with my TV and after the Channel Master DVR+ locks up the remote still works with the TV, so it's not the batteries.
Not necessarily! It could be that the TV's IR receiver is more sensitive that the DVR+ (and I would bet on that), and that's a sign of a weak signal. Since you have a second DVR+, switch remote controls to see what happens.

Quote:
Most of the time the lock up happens when I pause live TV, but it has occurred other times as well. I have a second CM DVR+ unit that's not used much and it has been running fine for a month, so the lockup seems to be related to how much the user interacts with the unit.
This description is precisely the symptoms of weak remote control batteries (or battery connections). The more often they are called to duty, the less time they have to rest and rejuvenate themselves.

I rarely pause Live TV because I'd prefer to record it and watch later, so I can't say that's not problematic in 124R.
MacLorry27 likes this.
post #9365 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
That sounds similar to SirCrow's issue. He was having lock-ups when skipping back. But he was on 114R and was hoping 124R would fix it!

It could be an HDD problem. Since you have two DVR+'s, could you try swapping the HDDs temporarily, to see if the problem moves with the HDD or stays with the DVR+?
pilotart and MacLorry27 like this.
post #9366 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily! It could be that the TV's IR receiver is more sensitive that the DVR+ (and I would bet on that), and that's a sign of a weak signal. Since you have a second DVR+, switch remote controls to see what happens.

This description is precisely the symptoms of weak remote control batteries (or battery connections). The more often they are called to duty, the less time they have to rest and rejuvenate themselves.

I rarely pause Live TV because I'd prefer to record it and watch later, so I can't say that's not problematic in 124R.
I ordered Channel Master's new Enhanced DVR+ remote a while back and expect delivery this Friday. The new remote uses AAA batteries, so that should solve the weak IR signal issue. I'll also have the original remote on hand to try if (when) the next lock up happens. If neither remote works when the lock up happens, but they both work right after the power on/off reset, then I don't believe this is a problem with the remote.
post #9367 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That sounds similar to SirCrow's issue. He was having lock-ups when skipping back. But he was on 114R and was hoping 124R would fix it!

It could be an HDD problem. Since you have two DVR+'s, could you try swapping the HDDs temporarily, to see if the problem moves with the HDD or stays with the DVR+?

I'll just order a new HDD and keep the current one as a spare. If the lock-ups then continue, and given others are seeing them on older versions, then it's likely a bug in the software. Bugs that can't easily be duplicated are hard to fix.
pilotart likes this.
post #9368 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If 3 shows that I have set to record "all new," happen to be on at the same time, how does the DVR+ determine which 2 shows to record?
post #9369 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I purchased the Channel Master DVR+ unit a few months ago and have been using it daily. After the latest software update I've been experiencing lock ups.

What I mean by lock up is the unit stops responding to the remote and the only way to restore is to cycle the power off and then back on. I just learned from this forum that you can hold the power button in to initiate a reset, but I haven't tried that. Sometimes I can go for a week between lock up and other times it will be only a day.

I did a Factor Reset a few days ago and yet I had another lock up today. Is anyone else having this issue and is there a workaround?

What Hard Drive are you using, and which DVR+ do you have?
post #9370 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
What Hard Drive are you using, and which DVR+ do you have?
I have the Seagate Expansion STBX1000101 1 TB 2.5" External Hard Drive. It was one of the recommended HDD for use with the Channel Master DVR+. Both of which were purchased from Amazon in March 2015. The Model ID is CM-7500GB16

Last edited by MacLorry27; 08-19-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Corrected Model ID.
post #9371 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The new remote uses AAA batteries, so that should solve the weak IR signal issue.
You're falling for the "bigger is better" myth. The strength of the IR signal depends on the design of the remote, including the type of IR LED(s) used and the amount of current fed to it/them by the circuitry. In fact, AAA batteries are lower voltage than CR2032s, so if the remote weren't redesigned, you'd need 4 AAAs just to equal the two CR2032s in the original remote.

I think AAA batteries are better than CR2032s both on how long they last between changes and on cost, so the new remote is still an improvement on that basis. (And it's back-lit, of course.) But there's no guarantee it'll have a brighter IR signal. It may, or may not.

That said, if the new remote still has too dim of an IR signal, changing the batteries could brighten it - by using lithium AAA batteries instead of alkaline ones. Lithium batteries have a slightly higher voltage, and since the rest of the remote isn't changing, that higher voltage will feed more current to the LED(s), resulting in more IR. Lithium batteries will also last longer. OTOH, they are more expensive.

Unfortunately that sort of trick can't be used with the original remote. I know of no CR2032 alternatives with a slightly higher voltage.
MacLorry27 likes this.
post #9372 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
If 3 shows that I have set to record "all new," happen to be on at the same time, how does the DVR+ determine which 2 shows to record?
I believe the first two to be scheduled will be recorded. However, it's possible for all three to be "scheduled" at the same time (if, say, all three appear for the first time in a Rovi guide update at once). In that case, it's probably random.

The ability to prioritize your timers in case of conflicts like this would be a useful enhancement. Too bad CM isn't listening to this thread.
jericko76, pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #9373 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
I believe the first two to be scheduled will be recorded. However, it's possible for all three to be "scheduled" at the same time (if, say, all three appear for the first time in a Rovi guide update at once). In that case, it's probably random.
When I had multiple programs starting at the same time due to Series recordings, a few minutes before the programs started an onscreen message told me it could not record all of them and prompted me to choose one to exclude (which I did). If this happened other times when I wasn't watching live, I have no idea which (if any) of the programs it decided to record.

I resolved this type of conflict by making sure I only record from a select few channels on any given DVR. For example, PBS channels only are recorded on DVR+ #1 . NBC & ABC only on DVR+ #2 , etc. This probably avoids nearly all scheduling conflicts.

Jim in Phoenix and jericko76 like this.
post #9374 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkdrain View Post
The abc news channel has already pulled out. That was the one internet channel I actually liked.
Good news (pun intended): ABC News is working again!

Bad news: channels 550 and 551 (RT and RT documentaries) haven't worked for some time, but now they're not even listed on the guide anymore. Same goes for the BBC channel, as far as I could tell.

Stupid news: However, the guide now lists 552 and 553 (RT Espanol and RT Arabic). Both channels work. Spanish I dig, but Arabic? That'll probably attract tens of new US viewers

Irrelevant news: CMTV has also added Sonlife, a channel produced by Jimmy Swaggart Ministries. Yay; a fourth channel that, even if I were interested, is already available to me OTA

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-20-2015 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Fixed network name: it's RT (Russia Today), not RTV (sometimes used for Retro TV).
post #9375 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
When I had multiple programs starting at the same time due to Series recordings, a few minutes before the programs started an onscreen message told me it could not record all of them and prompted me to choose one to exclude (which I did).
Well, that's good, at least; if you happen to be watching when the conflict occurs, you get a choice.
post #9376 of 12538 Old 08-19-2015, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Cool Remote Options

Quote:
I hope you're not spending $15 on CR2032 "coin" batteries. They're like $7/pair at Target, and Target's battery prices are high.

But I agree - the Sony universal remote is a very good substitute, and it uses ordinary AA batteries (which makes it compatible with my remote extender). It looks nearly identical to the (non-learning) RM-VZ320, except it has one more device button (the 620 splits the DVD & BD buttons, while the 320 combines them); the 620 also has four "system control" buttons at the bottom (ideal for multiple-device macros). The only problem I've found with it is that, to make room in the firmware for new features like learning and macros, they removed several codes; so I had to "teach" it how to work the Philco converter box that the 320 had a built-in code for.

Also, I had some frustration teaching it the DVR+ remote codes. I found the most reliable technique was, at the moment of learning, to press the button on the DVR+ remote for one second, release it, then press it again. I don't know why it has to be done this way, but it's the only way I could get the Sony to reliably learn the DVR+ remote codes.

Anyway, once that chore is done, it works fine. Most DVR+ buttons have clear equivalents on the Sony but naturally, there are a few without obvious equivalents. Here's how I mapped them (feel free to alter these according to taste):

Aspect: Enter (based on their common position under the 9 button)
DVR: Favorites
Home: Options (this is just a shortcut to the apps in the DVR+ guide)
CC: List (doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it's consistent with how the Sony maps my TV's CC button)
Exit: Return
Back: Recall
Color buttons: A, B, C, and D
Audio: Sleep

Of course, if you have 124R, CC/List and Audio/Sleep do the same thing, so you may prefer to make List a macro that emulates the 114R CC button instead.
Thank you very much for All your suggestions, settings and tips for using my RM-VLZ620 with the DVR+

That green '30,000+' code sheet with my 620 only has Philco listed for TV's VCR's and DVD's. It has DirecTV and Echostar under Satellite and DirecTV under PVR which looks most promising, but I've not tried anything DVR+/620 yet. For me it's mainly getting it able and ready for backup, I've no problem keeping track of many Remotes.

I want to thank you and the other members for providing the battery warning and tips on how to save on purchase.

I've not seen any reports here about remote battery life, my TV's Bluetooth "Smart Remote" is on its second set of 2xAA's in less than a year, but Bluetooth is worthwhile to feed. TV has an IR 'Blaster' but no "Teach" of IR Codes, hope to find a compatible in it's STB, BD/DVD or HT options that might do some of the DVR+ functions. It gives you at least six choices for many 'Brands', but does not list Channel Master or *ES* yet.

My original Delphi SkyFi XM radio's Remote used One CR2032 coin cell which lasted many years. SkyFi was used in the airplane and then just "placed" in a 'package' console cubby in my MINI. Access was awkward, meaning I relied completely on the Remote. After twelve years and on second 2032, drove home and saw the Remote sitting in a cup holder which was now half full of coffee. Took battery out and dropped into a jar full of distilled water for a few days and then a couple weeks to completely dry it out. Worked fine again, but battery quickly died, paid nearly $7 at Walgreens for one CR2032 and it was quickly dead as well. So, I bought a Brand New (10 year old) SkyFi-2 and its Remote takes two AAA's. Also fitted the 'car-kit' Dash Mount in my MINI Cooper. I do have a couple Garage Door openers that use the 2032 as well.

Samsung Bluetooth Smart Remote does most everything, but only just the 'basic' buttons. It will operate Play/Pause on DVD, but for the "Commercial Jump" button, you need the dedicated Remote or the 620. But of course, the Bluetooth will control from bathroom or kitchen, never mind LOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkas01 View Post
I get 20 - CR2032 Sony cells from Amazon for $8.25, with free Prime shipping. I've ordered them 3 or 4 times. They work well.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Lithium-C...cm_wl_huc_item
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
You might check fleabay. Major brands can be cheap with free shipping as well.
My next Amazon Prime order will include a pack of 2032's (or if it's eBay sooner).

As far as Firmware 124R, you must recall the flurry of my posts and getting all the expert help from wonderful experts on this Thread to help me do a Router Block preventing that Firmware Flash or its Nag Screens. I would never want to use any of the features added by 124R and would miss what it takes away from my current version.

I love that super slim flat remote working as it does pre-1024R, my 115R has never shown the "Freezes" users of 114R have mentioned.

It has the ability to record (or add) a Program (from beginning) that a Tuner had in the queue. As I recall, 114R did not have this ability and it will even record back more that the Two Hours you see in the queue to hold a pause limit. I have no idea what other improvements it has over 114R but there's no download for 115R. I do have 114R & 124R USB file's downloaded, but hope I never have to use them.

I cut four 1/4 inch circles from scrap Scotch Outdoor Mounting Tape (the thick, soft spongy double-stick) and placed them over the dots on bottom and it holds the Remote to the Palm Rest of my Tablets Keyboard. I never even need to pick it up at all, just press the buttons I need to use and it never ever misses the DVR+ IR Window.
Art
post #9377 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkdrain View Post
The abc news channel has already pulled out. That was the one internet channel I actually liked.
It's working this morning.

I like Bloomberg, ABC News, Weather Nation TV, WGN, Biz TV, Pursuit, The Hunt Channel, Foody TV, The Outdoor Cooking Channel, and MHZ.

Last edited by wizwor; 08-20-2015 at 02:44 AM. Reason: added some LOTT channels I like
post #9378 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, I noticed it's back up too. I'm glad.
post #9379 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Cool Firmware 115R from CM or *ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Quote:
When I cycle the power I'm unplugging the power supply from the wall and then plugging it back in. Actually it's plugged into a power strip that's plugged into a UPS.

Here's the version info:

Software Version: 124R (0.5)
Bootloader Version: 105S
Downloader Version: 104B - 104B

I'm connected to the internet using the Channel Master Wi-Fi USB dongle, but I don't run any apps or streaming video channels. I only need internet for the program guide and software updates.

I'm thinking this problem is a bug in 124R.
My DRV+ was ordered from Channel Master on July 13th and delivered on the 17th loaded with Firmware Version 115R.

This evidently was an in-house interim Firmware never available for 'USB' Download, but never 'locks DVR+' and seems to have some of the improvements over 114R without the 'Extra Channels' or Remote 'enhancements'.

I would ask CM Tech Support if they might provide a Link to Download a copy of 115R. You would of course lose those Remote 'Enhancements' and your 'Extra' internet Channels, have to place a Router Block on Updates and perhaps need to perform the three-hand 'Force-Flash'
Spoiler!
Trick to get 115R, but it would be worthwhile for me. (I never needed the Force-Flash Trick, but needed two 'Factory Resets' to get 124R out of my DVR+ 'Update Queue' and stop Nag Screens.) Let us know if you have success with this

I did have one 'sort of freeze' about two weeks ago that was completely my fault and gave plenty of warning. I had purchased a 16' Ethernet Cable and a simple 'one Female in Jack' to 'two Female out Jacks' with the intent of sharing Ethernet with my Pioneer Tuner/Amp (see sig) and relocating my WiFi Adapter 16' away from the Component Stack.

Spoiler!

On the morning of August 8th, saw that there was no LED on DVR+ but confirmed it was recording as it should. Turning on/off with Remote showed just a momentary blue blink of LED and after Recording was finished, still no LED (Blue or Red), so I was thinking perhaps both LED's had failed. Everything else seemed to work normally (View/Erase Recording and watch/pause Live TV).

About Noon, (still no LED's, but another scheduled Recording completed) DVR+ would only show me Live OTA TV, Pause/Play and Channel Change worked fine but there was no response from 'DVR' button at all.

I then did the 'Cold Reboot' by turning off and pulling power, then pressed 'Standby' button and waited ten seconds.

Reinserted Power Cord and saw the 'Gears Turning' and then LED's worked normally again and have seen no further symptoms of distress.

Last edited by pilotart; 08-20-2015 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Add 'Spoiler Tag'.
post #9380 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Thank you very much for All your suggestions, settings and tips for using my RM-VLZ620 with the DVR+

As far as Firmware 124R, you must recall the flurry of my posts and getting all the expert help from wonderful experts on this Thread to help me do a Router Block preventing that Firmware Flash or its Nag Screens. I would never want to use any of the features added by 124R and would miss what it takes away from my current version.

I love that super slim flat remote working as it does pre-1024R, my 115R has never shown the "Freezes" users of 114R have mentioned.

It has the ability to record (or add) a Program (from beginning) that a Tuner had in the queue. As I recall, 114R did not have this ability and it will even record back more that the Two Hours you see in the queue to hold a pause limit. I have no idea what other improvements it has over 114R but there's no download for 115R. I do have 114R & 124R USB file's downloaded, but hope I never have to use them.

Art
When commenting on the Sony learning remote, I tried to make it general, so folks who got that remote could use it regardless of the firmware version they're using. Since the Sony has plenty of buttons, the CC function is the only one I found needing special consideration.

There's one 114R user (SirCrow) and one 124R user who are experiencing lockups. That makes me think the firmware is not the (sole) cause. There must be something else. Could be a weak remote signal, HDD errors, or something else nobody has thought of yet; hopefully not just a couple of bad DVR+'s.

I think the ability to capture the buffer when starting a recording was in 114R but poorly documented. (Shocking, I know.) IIRC you have to pull up the guide and press Enter. Pressing Record only records from that moment forward.

Is it different in 115R (and presumably 124R)? I haven't tried it since upgrading, but I'd like it to be more like the DTVPal, where you get a pop-up when you press Record. From there you can select Options then select Record Entire Event to include the buffer in the recording.
post #9381 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

I am able to produce lock ups of the DVR+ when pausing Live TV. The TV responds to commands from the DVR+ remote control, but the DVR+ does not.

However, the DVR+ is not actually locked up, it only seems to be locked up. I know it’s not locked up because the Paused TV Progress Bar, and Counter, continue to update, and eventually it responds to the remote control. A similar “locked up” effect happens with other things as well, like the Rovi Guide refusing to close in response to a remote control command.

All I have to do to reproduce this effect is to install the original, worn out, button batteries into the remote control. After discharging the batteries a bit (by using the remote), the paused Live TV refuses to respond to the remote control. Wait a minute or so, and it responds again. With healthy batteries, I am unable to produce freeze ups of any type. The same effect can be achieved when the batteries are making poor connections to the remote’s terminals, or by removing one battery.

Even though the CM web page, for downloading the latest version (124R) touts “On-screen low-battery warning for the remote control” as one of the “many enhancements”, I haven’t seen any such warning on the TV. I know the remote is under powered because the red backlight on the power button blinks dimly when any button is pressed. With healthy batteries, the light is bright, and the blinking is less distinct.

The DVR+ is the 16GB model, running version 124R, with an EHD connected, and the original “thin” remote control with button batteries.

I sincerely hope this is what’s happening on your unit. It’s a whole let cheaper that buying a spare EHD.
pilotart and MacLorry27 like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 08-20-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added: and eventually it responds to the remote control
post #9382 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did more monitoring of the DVR+ reclaiming space after deleting recordings, and how the percent used value updates. Just like my post two days ago on this subject, the larger the space being reclaimed, the longer it takes. My observations show that 1% is being reclaimed approximately every 5 minutes (up to 5.5 minutes). The first 1% change will likely occur in less than 5 minutes, as it depends when the deletion occurred in relation to the last time the DVR+ ran its program that updates the value.

I don’t have a theory why it’s slowly reclaiming 1% at a time, but that’s what it’s doing. The USB EHD that was used is a 3TB WD My Book. The data collected follows. The DVR+ is running version 124R.

12 hour recordings:
16% at 09:43:00PM (deleted six 12 hour recordings, half on SD channel, and half HD channel) (approx. 220GB)
15% at 09:46:30PM (3.5 mins)
14% at 09:51:33PM (5.0 mins)
13% at 09:56:40PM (5.1 mins)
12% at 10:02:00PM (5.3 mins)
11% at 10:07:05PM (5.1 mins)
10% at 10:11:55PM (4.8 mins)
9% at 10:17:30PM (5.6 mins)
8% at 10:22:50PM (5.3 mins)
============================
Total 8% reclaimed in 39.8 minutes

Half hour SD recordings:
8% at 10:29:35PM (deleted one folder containing 97 half hour SD recordings) (approx. 85GB)
7% at 10:32:25PM (2.8 mins)
6% at 10:37:25PM (5.0 mins)
5% at 10:42:40PM (5.3 mins)
==========================
Total 3% reclaimed in 13.1 minutes

Can anyone verify my observations, or show different results, perhaps with a different EHD and/or a version prior to 124R?
I think deletion is just a slow process with ext2/3/4 file systems. They seem to scatter their cluster maps all over the HDD so there's a lot of seeking involved in locating the no-longer-used clusters and marking them free again, which is what reduces the % used figure.

You can tell this if you try an older noisy HDD without AAM. Delete a file and it'll make quite a racket for the next few minutes.

If I'm right, the speed at which the DVR+ reclaims space after deleting recordings depends on the HDD and its performance. SSDs like thumb drives would probably reclaim the quickest, but thumb drives seem to cause other issues, as we've seen. All else being equal, smaller 2.5" drives would probably reclaim faster than 3.5" drives, and a larger HDD cache would undoubtedly help as well.
pilotart likes this.
post #9383 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am able to produce lock ups of the DVR+ when pausing Live TV. The TV responds to commands from the DVR+ remote control, but the DVR+ does not.

All I have to do to reproduce this effect is to install the original, worn out, button batteries into the remote control. After discharging the batteries a bit (by using the remote), the paused Live TV refuses to respond to the remote control. Wait a minute or so, and it responds again. With healthy batteries, I am unable to produce freeze ups of any type. The same effect can be achieved when the batteries are making poor connections to the remote’s terminals, or by removing one battery.

Even though the CM web page, for downloading the latest version (124R) touts “On-screen low-battery warning for the remote control” as on of the “many enhancements”, I haven’t seen any such warning on the TV. I know the remote is under powered because the red backlight on the power button blinks dimly when any button is pressed. With healthy batteries, the light is bright, and the blinking is less distinct.
Ah, actual evidence! For the "weak remote batteries" hypothesis, that is.

I wonder if the "On-screen low-battery warning" only applies to the new remote? It would seem that the remote itself would have to monitor its own batteries and send some sort of signal to the DVR+ to produce the warning. E* could certainly add a pop-up to the DVR+ firmware (the DTVPal had it), but if the original remote doesn't have that function then no firmware update could add it.
pachinko likes this.
post #9384 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
I did have one 'sort of freeze' about two weeks ago that was completely my fault and gave plenty of warning. I had purchased a 16' Ethernet Cable and a simple 'one Female in Jack' to 'two Female out Jacks' with the intent of sharing Ethernet with my Pioneer Tuner/Amp (see sig) and relocating my WiFi Adapter 16' away from the Component Stack.

Seems I will need an Ethernet 'Switch' if I want to add my Pioneer to my Ethernet feed...
What you actually wanted was a combiner like this - not a splitter. It uses all 8 wires in an ethernet cable. However most people would use an ethernet switch.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-371...XAZV9T590ESPS1

The advantage of a combiner is that it is passive and doesn't require you to plug it in for power like a switch. Disadvantage it only works for two devices.
pilotart likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #9385 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When commenting on the Sony learning remote, I tried to make it general, so folks who got that remote could use it regardless of the firmware version they're using. Since the Sony has plenty of buttons, the CC function is the only one I found needing special consideration.

There's one 114R user (SirCrow) and one 124R user who are experiencing lockups. That makes me think the firmware is not the (sole) cause. There must be something else. Could be a weak remote signal, HDD errors, or something else nobody has thought of yet; hopefully not just a couple of bad DVR+'s.

I think the ability to capture the buffer when starting a recording was in 114R but poorly documented. (Shocking, I know.) IIRC you have to pull up the guide and press Enter. Pressing Record only records from that moment forward.

Is it different in 115R (and presumably 124R)? I haven't tried it since upgrading, but I'd like it to be more like the DTVPal, where you get a pop-up when you press Record. From there you can select Options then select Record Entire Event to include the buffer in the recording.
I had first selected "Record this Program" from the Guide and it turned the LED Red and recorded the program from beginning with default buffer.

Then I saw that the previous program was also of interest, there was not enough 'Backup' in the queue to get back to the Start of that Program. I pushed the Red Dot "Record" Button and it just flashed a screen saying "This Program will be added to DVR list" and it was now there. Pressing "Watch this Program" started that program from the very beginning (which had not been available before in "Pause/Backup").

Your advice on programming the 620 was well written and I also saw your disclaimer on differences w/320. I have also experienced need to repeat wanted (to learn) command when programming my 620. Sony Manual also makes a point about having fresh batteries in the 620 and I believe a warning about lower voltages available in rechargeable vs Alkaline. Would make sense to also have freshest Alkaline or Lithium's in Remote you were learning from. I rarely have the patience needed for dealing with teaching my 620 but I do it when necessary and for my DVR+ it's only necessary as a backup (which I need to do as you're lost if primary Remote fails).

I have seen the (select one of the three to 'not record') warning several times when requesting a Recording and there was a conflict from a 'Series' Pending Recording, deselecting from 'Pending' Series box Gray's out the selection, but still blocks other recording unless you use their 'select' option. I have not tried the "Delete" in the Series Box, fearing it would delete the entire series 'Pending' Recordings.

I can specify "New" for some Programs (like Sunday Morning "Meet the Press" and it still wants to Record the 'Repeat' at 3 AM Monday.

I select "New" for Shark program, but had never watched most original airings. Now the only way to Record a re-run is to create a "Time Recording" and it will show no title for it in the DVR's Queue.

I do often use my "Pause Live TV" and only select "Record this Program" when it's possible that I will be distracted longer than what is left in the queue or a desire to change channels (this loses whatever was paused on original channel).

Since you have two tuners and can record two channels simultaneously, it would seem that they could *easily* add ability to Pause two channels as long as no other "Recording" was going on. But selecting Record from Guide easily gets by that lack.
Art
post #9386 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Just to add a little bit to the "lock-up" discussion...

I have been experiencing lockups when trying to tune the linear channels on one of my DVR+ units. (Haven't set up any of my other DVR+ units for the linear channels yet, the linear channels available are totally worthless to me.)

My trouble report to CM: When trying to tune linear channels the DVR+ will often freeze up, and none of the remote buttons will work. For example, if I'm watching a linear channel and hit the channel up button on the remote, the screen goes black although the info bar for the next channel shows up. I can't go back to the previous channel or do anything with the DVR+. Waiting does nothing. I have to unplug the unit for a couple of minutes and let it reboot to get it to operate again. This started this morning, and has repeated several times today.

They had me try this first: What you're describing could be happening because of a software glitch. I'd suggest performing a factory reset by going to menu, settings, factory reset, and select the default option.

I tried this procedure several times with the same results, lockups. BTW this procedure is time consuming, setting up the DVR+ from scratch each time.

Then they replied with this: Another reason this can come up is if the internet connection isn't strong/stable enough. What's your internet speed? Go to menu, settings, network setup, wireless setup, and scan (assuming you're using the Wi-Fi adapter). What color is the bar that indicates strength? Does it fluctuate?

My wireless internet speed was more than sufficient (19Mbps+). The bar on the DVR+ display was solid green and stable.

Then they replied with this: Thanks for the update. This ticket will be forwarded to a technician of a higher tier for further assistance. Thank you for your patience as we do our best to help you.

And a few days later with this: sorry that you are experiencing this issue. We are now aware that there is a software glitch and are working to correct this. WE appreciate your patience and understanding.

So I have heard nothing since, and I am thinking of asking for a warranty exchange on this one. (Maybe return both living room DVR+ units, as they both keep having the missing LED display problems even after repeated factory resets. I hate having to turn on the TV and DVR units to confirm they are working and recording the programs they are supposed to.)

pachinko likes this.
post #9387 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had first selected "Record this Program" from the Guide and it turned the LED Red and recorded the program from beginning with default buffer.

Then I saw that the previous program was also of interest, there was not enough 'Backup' in the queue to get back to the Start of that Program. I pushed the Red Dot "Record" Button and it just flashed a screen saying "This Program will be added to DVR list" and it was now there. Pressing "Watch this Program" started that program from the very beginning (which had not been available before in "Pause/Backup").
Thanks for the info. I guess as long as the DVR+ has been tuned to the channel long enough to have buffered the previous show, you can "record" it from the guide - even if it started over 2 hours ago! This also implies that the start of the buffer isn't automatically reclaimed once it reaches a length of 2 hours, something I've been wondering about.

That's a good thing as long as you have plenty of recording space. It could be a problem if you're running low though: you could fill up your HDD simply by leaving the DVR+ on the same channel too long.

Quote:
I have seen the (select one of the three to 'not record') warning several times when requesting a Recording and there was a conflict from a 'Series' Pending Recording, deselecting from 'Pending' Series box Gray's out the selection, but still blocks other recording unless you use their 'select' option. I have not tried the "Delete" in the Series Box, fearing it would delete the entire series 'Pending' Recordings.
I'd give it a try just to see. I bet it only deletes the conflicting recording; but even if it deletes the whole series, it's not that hard to set up again, and you can tell the rest of us what it does.

Quote:
I can specify "New" for some Programs (like Sunday Morning "Meet the Press" and it still wants to Record the 'Repeat' at 3 AM Monday.

I select "New" for Shark program, but had never watched most original airings. Now the only way to Record a re-run is to create a "Time Recording" and it will show no title for it in the DVR's Queue.
Those are problems with using the "new" flag in Rovi's guide instead of looking at the HDD to see what's already been recorded.

CM/E* added the "Record new programs" function in 114R, and I was just about the only one pointing out that it wouldn't work as well as everyone seemed to think.

Quote:
I do often use my "Pause Live TV" and only select "Record this Program" when it's possible that I will be distracted longer than what is left in the queue or a desire to change channels (this loses whatever was paused on original channel).

Since you have two tuners and can record two channels simultaneously, it would seem that they could *easily* add ability to Pause two channels as long as no other "Recording" was going on. But selecting Record from Guide easily gets by that lack.

Art
That "other" DVR is the only one I know of that buffers two channels at once.

I agree it should be easy. I'm just speculating, but the only reason I can think of why nobody else does that is that T??o has a patent on that feature.

Quote:
Just to add a little bit to the "lock-up" discussion...

I have been experiencing lockups when trying to tune the linear channels on one of my DVR+ units. (Haven't set up any of my other DVR+ units for the linear channels yet, the linear channels available are totally worthless to me.)

My trouble report to CM: When trying to tune linear channels the DVR+ will often freeze up, and none of the remote buttons will work. For example, if I'm watching a linear channel and hit the channel up button on the remote, the screen goes black although the info bar for the next channel shows up. I can't go back to the previous channel or do anything with the DVR+. Waiting does nothing. I have to unplug the unit for a couple of minutes and let it reboot to get it to operate again. This started this morning, and has repeated several times today.

They had me try this first: What you're describing could be happening because of a software glitch. I'd suggest performing a factory reset by going to menu, settings, factory reset, and select the default option.

Then they replied with this: Thanks for the update. This ticket will be forwarded to a technician of a higher tier for further assistance. Thank you for your patience as we do our best to help you.

And a few days later with this: sorry that you are experiencing this issue. We are now aware that there is a software glitch and are working to correct this. WE appreciate your patience and understanding.
I too have had a lock-up when watching Linear TV. Sounds like it's about time for 125R

Quote:
So I have heard nothing since, and I am thinking of asking for a warranty exchange on this one. (Maybe return both living room DVR+ units, as they both keep having the missing LED display problems even after repeated factory resets. I hate having to turn on the TV and DVR units to confirm they are working and recording the programs they are supposed to.)
If you aren't using CMTV, Pandora, or YouTube, it might be easier/faster/better to just downgrade to 108R.
pilotart likes this.
post #9388 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
However, the DVR+ is not actually locked up, it only seems to be locked up. I know it’s not locked up because the Paused TV Progress Bar, and Counter, continue to update.

That last two times the DVR+ locked up my impression is that the paused TV Progress Bar, and Counter were stopped, but I'll make sure the next time it happens.

I'm going to start making carful observations and take notes each time the DVR+ locks up in hopes of getting a better understanding of this problem, and hopefully, finding a solution.

First thing is to prove or disprove the remote being the cause. I expect delivery of the New CM Enhanced DVR+ remote soon, so I'll have that as a backup. The odds that two remotes would all of a sudden be non-functioning at the same time is unlikely, particularly given the new remote uses AAA batteries, which have much higher capacity and better contacts then button batteries.

If both remotes fail to control the DVR+ then I'll try pressing the on/off button on the DVR+ unit itself and see what happens. If the DVR+ won't respond to that button then it's locked up (in a loop) for sure and it has nothing to do with the remote.

If it does respond it's less clear what that means as that switch could be hard wired to an interrupt on the microprocessor, which can break such loops. The power button on the remote has to go through the usual IR signal processing path, so the two may not have the same function in a lock up situation.

I've ordered an newer version of the EHD that I'm using and, if needed, I'll change over to it and see if I still get lock ups.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #9389 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
What you actually wanted was a combiner like this - not a splitter. It uses all 8 wires in an ethernet cable. However most people would use an ethernet switch.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-371...XAZV9T590ESPS1

The advantage of a combiner is that it is passive and doesn't require you to plug it in for power like a switch. Disadvantage it only works for two devices.
Thank you very much, order will be placed shortly, along with a 'Sony CR2032 Pack' for remotes/Garage Door openers etc.

All I can possibly use is Two LAN connections, my TV works much better on its own WiFi than on any LAN Cable and it's Amazon app is so much better than the Sony BD's anyway, Sony BD does do Pandora best though (on its own built-in WiFi). TV does YouTube the best (compared to DVR+) along with CNBC as well, then there is Vimeo, CNN, BBC, talkSport, 670theSCORE and a dozen other free Streaming apps plus all the paid ones. Any wonder about my need for 124R on my DVR+ for any Streaming...

I did figure out how I can get in that state where my TV watch/pause/rewind is available, but Guide and DVR is not.

My Guide scrolls up and down a line at a time and an hour ahead etc. using the four-way rocker aroubd OK button. Blue Key advances 24 hours ahead and Yellow Key goes 24 hours back.

The "Page" up/down arrows move a full page per press.

If I try playing with [<<] or [>>] to navigate in the Guide (like the latest Firmware uses and does nothing on mine) and I completely lose ability to close the guide and if I press Power off/on, Guide is gone and won't open, nor will [DVR] open anything.

LED light looks normal and it takes what I guess you call a 'Warm re-Boot" (holding power button on unit {Not Remote's, for mine} down for ten seconds or so until LED flashes Blue/Red) and it very quickly rolls its Gears and comes back with full functions. Much faster than a Cold re-Boot with power disconnect.

I don't consider this to be any kind of "Bug" in software, since I am always causing it by doing something I should not.

It does not seem to be related at all to the "Freeze" or "Lock-Up" mentioned for 114R and now 124R
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 08-20-2015 at 12:30 PM.
post #9390 of 12538 Old 08-20-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
could any of these lockups be heat related? I noticed in stock form there's almost no space underneath the box where it vents heat so it builds up inside. I don't like letting electronics get hotter than they need to be so added washered nuts to the bottom as little feet and with ~1/2" of open space below for better air flow the top is considerably cooler to the touch. but I wasn't having any lockup issues to resolve, it was mostly just a personal preference thing.
JoeKustra and pilotart like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page