Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2015, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Glad somebody finally said it - some of us are no where near following the recent discussions - would like to know why the blue /red lights do not work consistently.
artisticimaging and LenL like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 273
^^^^^^^^ @JoeKustra , Yes according to the Manual it has a Pioneer edition of vtuner and they reference this website:

http://pioneer.vtuner.com/setupapp/p...gin/SignIn.asp

I'm just glad I tried it out first before looking at that manual or website.
Spoiler!

Art
Old 08-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieoc View Post
Glad somebody finally said it - some of us are no where near following the recent discussions - would like to know why the blue /red lights do not work consistently.
For me it occurred once, about six hours after Ethernet feed that DVR+ didn't care for. Seemed fine at night, LED's were completely out in the morning, although recording and playback functioned fine. By Noon, Record/Playback were gone, but live TV w/pause etc. were fine. Still no LED except for momentary dim blue flash when turning on/off w/remote.

Only that one instance over a week ago and a cold boot fixed it.

Other Ethernet 'errors' caused lack of access to Guide and DVR and delay in re-connecting "wired", but Blue/Red LED's, bright & dim have worked normally through out them.

Glad my Ethernet problems are finally solved.

You might try removing your Ethernet or USB WiFi temporarily to see what effect that has on your problem with blue /red LED's.
Art
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Could you guys take your off topic conversation to emails? This thread is way too full of this kind of stuff, and more is definitely not needed.
Quote:
What posts?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
On both 114R and 124R I've had frequent episodes of the red LED not being on during a recording. DVR+ working fine otherwise.

They claimed to fix this in 124R but it still happens. However, in at least one case since updating to 124R, the problem did fix itself spontaneously. It was recording with no LED; when the recording was done, the blue LED came on as expected; but when the next recording started the red LED worked normally! So maybe they sort of half-fixed it in 124R where it still happens but may fix itself on its own.

A warm boot always fixes it, but when I see the LED off, I'm tempted to warm boot immediately. Resist that temptation! The DVR is probably recording, so turn it on and check first. If it's recording, the blue LED will probably come on when it's done; you can reboot then.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
earlier in the thread I read where someone posted that cm was aware of the prob and said it was some kind of conflict due to having auto power down enabled (or something like that, don't have the dvr+ near me to check exactly). I've only ever had 124r which was fine the first ~6 weeks then out of nowhere I started having the led trouble. turned off that option and it's been fine since.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
On both 114R and 124R I've had frequent episodes of the red LED not being on during a recording. DVR+ working fine otherwise.

They claimed to fix this in 124R but it still happens. However, in at least one case since updating to 124R, the problem did fix itself spontaneously. It was recording with no LED; when the recording was done, the blue LED came on as expected; but when the next recording started the red LED worked normally! So maybe they sort of half-fixed it in 124R where it still happens but may fix itself on its own.

A warm boot always fixes it, but when I see the LED off, I'm tempted to warm boot immediately. Resist that temptation! The DVR is probably recording, so turn it on and check first. If it's recording, the blue LED will probably come on when it's done; you can reboot then.
After upgrading from 114R to 124R, I lost the front panel light once. CM said what they often say, perform a Factory Reset. So I gave that a try, even though the 124R upgrade should have fixed the issue, and the upgrade did not require a Factory Reset. It’s been a couple of weeks, and as far as I know the problem has not returned. Of course, that’s not long enough to be all that meaningful.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The LED issue is very sporadic, and I haven't seen it lately. But ej_eddie's post is intriguing: I'm not sure why that setting would matter, but I do have my DVR+ "inactivity standby" (in settings / power options) set to 6 hours, so maybe that's it after all. If the LED issue starts getting bad again, I'll try turning that off and see if it helps.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
earlier in the thread I read where someone posted that cm was aware of the prob and said it was some kind of conflict due to having auto power down enabled (or something like that, don't have the dvr+ near me to check exactly). I've only ever had 124r which was fine the first ~6 weeks then out of nowhere I started having the led trouble. turned off that option and it's been fine since.

huh!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
what I bookmarked wrt led workaround: Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread

rereading that it seems when I was bookmarking posts in this thread a couple months ago I mislabeled what I thought the one above was for since they're talking about lockups and whatnot.

this one talks about 123r addressing the led: Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread

I've never had anything other than 124r except what fw the unit was shipped with which iirc updated to 124r right away but I still started having led probs where led is completely gone, could be recording with no light at all, might start bright blue while watching tv then suddenly disappear, etc. I pulled up the bookmark I thought I had previously saved as the fix for this and whether it was meant to or not, disabling inactivity has so far cured my led prob.

I'd tried reboots, removing power cord a couple different times but quirky led always came back and sometimes right away. it's been about a month since turning off the inactivity setting and led has worked 100% ever since.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
You might try removing your Ethernet or USB WiFi temporarily to see what effect that has on your problem with blue /red LED's.

Art
That may sound crazy, but it wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps the LED issues weren't caused by something within the DVR+, like the inactivity standby setting, but instead by something hinky with the Rovi guide updates. If so, CM could have fixed the guide updates, folks' LED issues went away, and everyone thinks the last thing they did (a factory reset, turning off inactivity standby, or whatever) was what fixed it!
pilotart likes this.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
If 3 shows that I have set to record "all new," happen to be on at the same time, how does the DVR+ determine which 2 shows to record?
What I have just observed is that when there is a conflict between three 'Series' events having any overlap, it saves the first 'Series' that was set up.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I guess as long as the DVR+ has been tuned to the channel long enough to have buffered the previous show, you can "record" it from the guide - even if it started over 2 hours ago! This also implies that the start of the buffer isn't automatically reclaimed once it reaches a length of 2 hours, something I've been wondering about.

That's a good thing as long as you have plenty of recording space. It could be a problem if you're running low though: you could fill up your HDD simply by leaving the DVR+ on the same channel too long.
That may be one reason for that "Auto Turn to Standby" default and recommendation covered below.

I have since confirmed it is considerably greater than two hours when you press that Red Button on a Show that has been paused beyond its 'Live' ending, it just shows a 'Pop-Up' and adds the whole entire show to your DVR Recording list (By Show Name).

If the show is paused, but not beyond its ending time, it still records the whole show and may of had options on that 'Pop-Up'.

Record Button on my VCR's, DVD and previous Prism (CATV) DVR all enabled time recording when pressed. Each press would add :30 up to six hours if record speed allowed.

Closest to that I've seen on my DVR+ is the "Time Recording" which was selected from a drop-down menu. I've only used this once, there was a 'Shark Tank' that was not recorded because it was a re-run, but I'd never seen it and "Time Record" was only option offered. Later saw it was stored by its Time, rather than the Show Name.
Quote:
....I'd give it a try <...> and you can tell the rest of us what it does. .... <... already replied to ...>
Those are problems with using the "new" flag in Rovi's guide instead of looking at the HDD to see what's already been recorded.
<....>
I need to start a new topic on my experiences with Rovi...
Quote:
I too have had a lock-up when watching Linear TV. Sounds like it's about time for 125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim
So I have heard nothing since, and I am thinking of asking for a warranty exchange on this one. (Maybe return both living room DVR+ units, as they both keep having the missing LED display problems even after repeated factory resets. I hate having to turn on the TV and DVR units to confirm they are working and recording the programs they are supposed to.)
>>>CM/E* added the "Record new programs" function in 114R<<<
If you aren't using CMTV, Pandora, or YouTube, it might be easier/faster/better to just downgrade to 108R.
@wiscojim , have you given a try to altering your internet supply or a different HD if you could spare one, just as an experiment to isolate your problem.

I am aware that the back-flash to 108R suggested by @JHBrandt is a lot more work, but your problem did not appear until post 108R Firmware. Here are the instructions for the "Secret Handshake" needed to force a back-flash:
Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
If you were pleased with that Firmware you would also need to have your Router Block automatic updates, or you would soon get nag-screens until it just 'up-graded' you back. 'CM Knows Best

Let us know if you need assistance in downloading 108R.
I know I'd try to get 115R, I know it exists and it is stable...

I've only had mine for six weeks, but despite my 'Ethernet Abuse' causing one (only) LED issue and trying 'new' methods of controlling Guide (without 'new' Firmware) requiring soft boot to get into Guide again... I do like to 'Push' as hard as I can while Return/Warranty is active...

I have never, ever had a single instance of Freeze or Lock at all.

I am on a no option 16GB model delivered (July 17th) version 115R Firmware (No 124R added Channels or Remote 'improvements) and I've never had any type of USB WiFi and using a 'One TB' Samsung External HD.

Perhaps they will soon release 125R as it seems you are not completely alone with this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
huh!
This was referring to the LED issue which seems to be unrelated to the "Freeze/Lock" issue *you guys* have been complaining about.

In your Menu>Settings>Power there is an option for the DVR+ to enter Standby Automatically after (Default of) Four Hours of No Input from user. This can be increased or disabled, but CM Manual advises "Not to Turn it Off" ...overheating ??... .

My DVR+ is currently in Standby and after "...Menu>Settings>..." I'm going on my memory of seeing it once, six weeks ago. Mine is at default and has only commanded Standby one time. I usually place it in Standby when I'm not 'Watching...'.

Quote:
Could *you guys* take your off topic conversation to emails? This thread is way too full of this kind of stuff, and more is definitely not needed.
I completely sympathize with your frustration and angst felt when you come here and there's no help posted for your issue. My portion of that 'off-topic' was hidden as best I could by "Spoiler" Tags you did not need to click. I try and hide as much as I can of what most Members don't need to read unless they want.

Discussion of methods and issues with supplying internet (Dongle or Ethernet etc.) is most certainly On Topic and can be a source of other issues.

It is evident that my question on DVD+ and Pandora went unanswered because Pandora is not worthwhile on a DVD+.

The fact that this involved my Pioneer had come about strictly from my DVR+ and there was justification in my mentioning it.

Now, when a member asks a question related to my experience with supplying DVR+ (and Pioneer) with Necessary Ethernet, I suppose I could have just referred him to the AVS Pioneer Thread. But I've Been There and they don't touch on it at all... The official Manual (I gave link to) has an incorrect and pi$$ poor chapter on the subject as well.

Finally, on the *you guys* post. I know your frustration and understand but: These Boards are strictly for discussing Product and issues and Learning About the Product.

netiquette here is to discuss product and not people

If you like or agree with a post, (But don't want to add a "Me Too" post) there is the [like] tag to click, ever wonder why there's no [dislike] tag?

Look on lower left corner of each and every post on AVS and you will see a little Triangle with the exclamation mark inside. That is your dislike tag and will by-far produce the best results for you.

Our moderators are volunteer and do their best to control posting that does not add to the discussion. You can help them with that 'dislike' tag but don't abuse it either, I don't envy the task of a moderator at all but they have the knowledge and tools needed.

Unless you are a Moderator, there is no room or tolerance for one Member ever telling another member anything about first members opinion in that light. Hard to read for others and in some Threads can lead to those dreaded Flame Wars and Troll Attacks.

That would never happen amongst all the great and helping Members of this Thread. Closest thing to a Troll here lately told us ( In His Profile !!! ) that he "Lived Under A Bridge" gotta love that
Art
vince48 and jericko76 like this.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Rovi guide

I think I read a post that said with the 124 update there was a place to force a rovi guide update? True/False?
Yes I did try a search.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
@wiscojim , have you given a try to altering your internet supply or a different HD if you could spare one, just as an experiment to isolate your problem.
If you are asking about the locking up, it happens both wireless and wired. Different HD shouldn't matter as the linear channels aren't even buffered.

If you are asking about the LED issue, doesn't make sense to be an HD, as it happens now on all of 3 my DVR+ units.

I will not waste my time backloading an earlier version.

pilotart likes this.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
I think I read a post that said with the 124 update there was a place to force a rovi guide update? True/False?
Yes I did try a search.
That's been repeated many times.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Yes I did try a search.
They hid it well!

Menu
Settings
Channel Setup
Antenna Channels
Refresh Rovi Guide Data
pilotart likes this.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
They hid it well!

Menu
Settings
Channel Setup
Antenna Channels
Refresh Rovi Guide Data

Its funny Jim provided a link some 2685 pages back which, I'm certain, there was no 124r update yet. My Dad and Gramps took me Snipe hunting wayyy back when, funny thing happened.... I shot a real Snipe!

Seriously though, when I was having issues with the stuck IP, I looked right where you said and that option was not there. But it is now. I got some crazy ghost in my machine, but it does the basics that I need. Thank you again Pachinco.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Its funny Jim provided a link some 2685 pages back which, I'm certain, there was no 124r update yet. My Dad and Gramps took me Snipe hunting wayyy back when, funny thing happened.... I shot a real Snipe!
My link only goes back around 400 posts to post #9055 of 9467.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In your Menu>Settings>Power there is an option for the DVR+ to enter Standby Automatically after (Default of) Four Hours of No Input from user. This can be increased or disabled, but CM Manual advises "Not to Turn it Off" ...overheating ??... .

Art
I don't think the recommendation exists to avoid overheating, but it could be (at least partly) to avoid running hot for an extended period. Any amount of heat can shorten the life of electronic components, even if they never exceed their design temperature limit.

It could also be (at least partly) just to save power, although I haven't measured the DVR+'s power usage when on vs. in standby. You'd probably need to set your HDD to auto-spin-down to save much power, though; and the DVR+ has never been well-tested with drives set that way. CM's own drives don't auto-power-down by default, and firmware versions 111R and 124R both have problems with that function.

Finally, since it appears the DVR+ doesn't reclaim buffer space while it's on, you could fill up your HDD and start missing recordings if you accidentally left it on for an extended time.

In fact, the recommendation is probably due to all of the above in combination, and not any one factor.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:

My bad, I meant to write 2685 "posts". The first post in your link was 6781 on page 227, to the last post on page 227 at 6810
Your link Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread. Note: 227.html means page 227. Total posts at 9468+.

Either way, 124r hasn't been around and active for 400+- posts.

Have a nice evening, I'm off to eat some Lasagna.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Its funny Jim provided a link some 2685 pages back which, I'm certain, there was no 124r update yet. ...
Quote:
The problem with the link that wiscojim posted is the nasty problem that the AVS Forum has in how it delivers the URL to us when we right click the post number to get the link location. What’s provided is a link that’s based upon that member’s “Number of Posts to Show Per Page” setting. Most seem to be set to 30 posts per page (the default), but it could be anywhere from 5 to 100 posts per page. I usually have mine set at 100, so the links most members post do not take me to the post they intended.

Please see my post on how to defeat this problem. It’s currently post 9305, on 08-11-2015 at 10:26PM (central), but if you click HERE, it will bring you there regardless of your post per page setting, because I used the method that post describes (let's call it the "universal" URL).

For links that do not use this "universal" method, take a good look at it, and you’ll see that you can convert it to the “universal” URL, and be delivered to the proper post! It can even be done in the Browser’s Address Bar when you realize you were not taken to the correct post.

FYI, the post numbers can be useless too, as they change when posts are deleted, or restored. The only thing that can be counted upon is the date and time stamp of the post (don’t forget to specify your time zone).

Note: If you find someone’s link did not deliver the correct post, just modify the URL in the Browser’s Address Bar per these instructions.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 08-28-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added Note
Old 08-27-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its funny Jim provided a link some 2685 pages back ....
Quote:
I'm guessing boogerhead may not have his posts-per-page set to the forum default. That's always a risk when posting links to other posts here.

Here's wiscojim's link, fixed so it works regardless of your posts-per-page setting: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post35526730

Edit: Whoops; looks like pachinko & I were thinking (& posting) the same thing at the same time
pachinko and pilotart like this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-27-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
My bad, I meant to write 2685 "posts". The first post in your link was 6781 on page 227, to the last post on page 227 at 6810
Your link Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread. Note: 227.html means page 227. Total posts at 9468+.

Either way, 124r hasn't been around and active for 400+- posts....
124R sure was around 400 posts ago. In fact, a month of posts before that. 124R was released on June 11, 2015. See the CM software update web page.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
What I have just observed is that when there is a conflict between three 'Series' events having any overlap, it saves the first 'Series' that was set up.
Spoiler!

That may be one reason for that "Auto Turn to Standby" default and recommendation covered below.

I have since confirmed it is considerably greater than two hours when you press that Red Button on a Show that has been paused beyond its 'Live' ending, it just shows a 'Pop-Up' and adds the whole entire show to your DVR Recording list (By Show Name).

If the show is paused, but not beyond its ending time, it still records the whole show and may of had options on that 'Pop-Up'.

Record Button on my VCR's, DVD and previous Prism (CATV) DVR all enabled time recording when pressed. Each press would add :30 up to six hours if record speed allowed.

Closest to that I've seen on my DVR+ is the "Time Recording" which was selected from a drop-down menu. I've only used this once, there was a 'Shark Tank' that was not recorded because it was a re-run, but I'd never seen it and "Time Record" was only option offered. Later saw it was stored by its Time, rather than the Show Name.
I need to start a new topic on my experiences with Rovi...

@wiscojim, have you given a try to altering your internet supply or a different HD if you could spare one, just as an experiment to isolate your problem.

I am aware that the back-flash to 108R suggested by @JHBrandt is a lot more work, but your problem did not appear until post 108R Firmware. Here are the instructions for the "Secret Handshake" needed to force a back-flash:
If you were pleased with that Firmware you would also need to have your Router Block automatic updates, or you would soon get nag-screens until it just 'up-graded' you back. 'CM Knows Best

Let us know if you need assistance in downloading 108R.
I know I'd try to get 115R, I know it exists and it is stable...

I've only had mine for six weeks, but despite my 'Ethernet Abuse' causing one (only) LED issue and trying 'new' methods of controlling Guide (without 'new' Firmware) requiring soft boot to get into Guide again... I do like to 'Push' as hard as I can while Return/Warranty is active...

I have never, ever had a single instance of Freeze or Lock at all.

I am on a no option 16GB model delivered (July 17th) version 115R Firmware (No 124R added Channels or Remote 'improvements) and I've never had any type of USB WiFi and using a 'One TB' Samsung External HD.

Perhaps they will soon release 125R as it seems you are not completely alone with this issue.
This was referring to the LED issue which seems to be unrelated to the "Freeze/Lock" issue *you guys* have been complaining about.

My DVR+ is currently in Standby and after "...Menu>Settings>..." I'm going on my memory of seeing it once, six weeks ago. Mine is at default and has only commanded Standby one time. I usually place it in Standby when I'm not 'Watching...'.

I completely sympathize with your frustration and angst felt when you come here and there's no help posted for your issue. My portion of that 'off-topic' was hidden as best I could by "Spoiler" Tags you did not need to click. I try and hide as much as I can of what most Members don't need to read unless they want.

Discussion of methods and issues with supplying internet (Dongle or Ethernet etc.) is most certainly On Topic and can be a source of other issues.

It is evident that my question on DVD+ and Pandora went unanswered because Pandora is not worthwhile on a DVD+.

The fact that this involved my Pioneer had come about strictly from my DVR+ and there was justification in my mentioning it.

Now, when a member asks a question related to my experience with supplying DVR+ (and Pioneer) with Necessary Ethernet, I suppose I could have just referred him to the AVS Pioneer Thread. But I've Been There and they don't touch on it at all... The official Manual (I gave link to) has an incorrect and pi$$ poor chapter on the subject as well.

Finally, on the *you guys* post. I know your frustration and understand but: These Boards are strictly for discussing Product and issues and Learning About the Product.

netiquette here is to discuss product and not people

If you like or agree with a post, (But don't want to add a "Me Too" post) there is the [like] tag to click, ever wonder why there's no [dislike] tag?

Look on lower left corner of each and every post on AVS and you will see a little Triangle with the exclamation mark inside. That is your dislike tag and will by-far produce the best results for you.

Our moderators are volunteer and do their best to control posting that does not add to the discussion. You can help them with that 'dislike' tag but don't abuse it either, I don't envy the task of a moderator at all but they have the knowledge and tools needed.

Unless you are a Moderator, there is no room or tolerance for one Member ever telling another member anything about first members opinion in that light. Hard to read for others and in some Threads can lead to those dreaded Flame Wars and Troll Attacks.

That would never happen amongst all the great and helping Members of this Thread. Closest thing to a Troll here lately told us ( In His Profile !!! ) that he "Lived Under A Bridge" gotta love that
Art

pilotart,
thanks for sharing the knowledge, it was very helpful

vince48
pilotart likes this.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am still using the 114 and will probably be forever.

For me it is the Red Light that turn off while recording, after that the blue light comes on again. Originally we did not have the red light just the blue one. It was when they implemented the red light that the light issue started happening, but holding down the power button and letting it reboot solves that issue temporally.

I have not had any lock ups of any kind. I am using an external Seagate with an external power supply. I did have an issue with video glitches from the 103 till the 114 which is why I am staying with the 114.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Exclamation Links to Posts must be modified to work as you expect!

Quote:
<...>
Here’s what to do:

1. Right click on the post number at the upper right of the desired post, and click “Copy Link Location” (or whatever it may be labeled in your browser).

2. Paste the link somewhere (in the reply, in a text editor, etc), so that you can modify it a little bit. Below is an example of what it might look like (came from the post to which I’m replying, and my post per page count is 100). I had to use some blank spaces in the URL to get the URL to display, so ignore them.

http: //www. avsforum. com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-93.html#post36414466

3. Here’s the trick. Replace the page number (in this example 93) with everything after the # symbol (in this example, post36414466).

4. The modified URL would be this:

http: //www. avsforum. com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-post36414466.html#post36414466

5. Use the modified URL!
Edit:- All that I posted below will ONLY work for members at default of 30 Posts per Page when Link is to a Post. To properly link to AVS Posts that will work for Members with other than 30 Post Per Page selected, you must modify 'Post URL's as above quote explains.

My discription below should not be used when inserting a link to a post!

Click so your cursor flashes in location you want to place your Link.

Then at the top of posting block, just click the "Insert Link" Logo (it's the Globe with the Chain Link below).

Within its drop-down box, Right-Click and select "Paste" from menu and then click [OK] and see your properly encoded link where your cursor had been.

You may even need to scroll down a little to see it all, but notice the already highlighted URL in the section after the "...html"] and before the [/URL", what ever is in there is what will appear as the link, if you do nothing, it's usually shortened to
"A generic description", but while highlighted, type 'over' the highlighted portion, what you want to be seen as the link.

It will look like this:
Link to Channels OTA Tuner, Bluetooth/Keyboard/Air-Mouse Remote, Guide and Streaming/app Device

The Link will always be seen in Blue color, but whatever you typed between "...] and [/..." is the text (and Smilies if you want) that will appear. Notice the underline that appears on hover to indicate an active link.

And it's the way the forum is designed for adding links.

Of course this method is not for linking to an AVS post, but adding a link to anywhere else on the www. If you ever have any fear of a link leading you into malware, just do the Right-Click on it, select "Copy" and paste following [scan for malware:] into Google for information about the URL without ever actually opening it.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 08-28-2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Special procedure for placing links to posts
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Was that really supposed to go to my link? When I click on it, it goes to post 9441 which is the first post on page 237 for me.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
There's a much easier and more foolproof way to do it:
It will look like this:
Link to Wisco Jim's Guide for Refreshing your Rovi, just click here
More foolproof because you are not modifying the Copied URL Address in any way. Just don't change anything between the [URL=" and the "] which is the URL you're linking to.
We’re talking about two different things. I’m describing how to post URLs that actually work, no matter how an AVS Forum member’s setting for “Number of Posts to Show Per Page” is set. In your post (9476 on 8/28/2015 at 12:14PM central), you’re describing how to attach a URL within a reply. I wasn’t describing that at all.

On the other hand, the URLs you provided for examples are precisely the problem I was describing, in that they are only for those AVS Forum members who happen to have their “Number of Posts to Show Per Page” set the same as yours. If yours is 30, and mine is 100, the URLs you provided do not send me to the posts you intended. Try it! That is, change your settings and see what happens when you click the Links you provided.

If you want every member, even those whose “Number of Posts to Show Per Page” is different than yours, to be able to simply click on a Link and be delivered to the correct page, you cannot use the URL as provided by right clicking on the post number. I described a way to manually edit that URL so that is works for everyone.
JoeKustra and pilotart like this.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by saidias View Post
Jailbreak update:

tHe #Illuminati TeAM has made huge progress in what will be a public released JB for DVR+. We have successfully gotten XBMC/Kodi installed with add-one like Genisis, SportsDevil, and NaviX! This is a huge step forward for us in getting additional Live Streams, Movies and TV shows on the DVR+.

We don't have a timeline for the release, as we are still working though some technical challenges, and packaging the JB firmware. We also recognize the "cat and mouse" game from CM, so are we aren't letting the cat out of the bag.

cheers SAIDias
Please tell us more. Sounds interesting.
Dont just dump and run-thats not fair.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Exclamation

I have now edited my post 9476 above to reflect what was explained below.
Quote:
We’re talking about two different things. I’m describing how to post URLs that actually work, no matter how an AVS Forum member’s setting for “Number of Posts to Show Per Page” is set. In your post (9476 on 8/28/2015 at 12:14PM central), you’re describing how to attach a URL within a reply. I wasn’t describing that at all.

On the other hand, the URLs you provided for examples are precisely the problem I was describing, in that they are only for those AVS Forum members who happen to have their “Number of Posts to Show Per Page” set the same as yours. If yours is 30, and mine is 100, the URLs you provided do not send me to the posts you intended. Try it! That is, change your settings and see what happens when you click the Links you provided.

If you want every member, even those whose “Number of Posts to Show Per Page” is different than yours, to be able to simply click on a Link and be delivered to the correct page, you cannot use the URL as provided by right clicking on the post number. I described a way to manually edit that URL so that is works for everyone.
Ok, you must be correct!

I have never had posts per page other than default and would have never known that the URL could or would be different from 'posts per page' settings.

Thank you for setting me straight on that glitch, I had wondered why @wiscojim 's earlier link about 124R settings took me back to the top of page 227 dated January 4th, but just thought it must be a typo.

I'm sure lots of members have scratched their heads wondering what I was linking them to...

So above is only valid for 30 posts per pagers and below is universal. Of course they both go to the same place for me (a 30ppp).
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post36435138

I always learn more than I expect on this Thread and You Sir; Have Taught Me a Lot !!!
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by pilotart; 08-28-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread