Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 328 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2839Likes

Old 11-02-2015, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
A "long jump" or "GoTo" would be a good function to add (perhaps as "assignable" to one of the color keys on the remote) in the next firmware update
Or at least change the current speeds to a decent range of slow motion and fast forward/rewind. The earlier CM DVR had a great 1/15 slow motion and a 300X fast speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Something close to 300x FF (the DVR+ seems to prefer powers of 2, so maybe 256x FF?) would've really helped the OP. At 5 min/sec you can really speed through even a long recording.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Something close to 300x FF (the DVR+ seems to prefer powers of 2, so maybe 256x FF?) would've really helped the OP. At 5 min/sec you can really speed through even a long recording.
There is a very good chance this could be achieved by changing a single value in a software routine. If that's true, then the maximum search speed should be determined by the fastest speed that doesn't significantly diminish efficiency. What other need could there be for an arbitrary limit on search speed? Then you could even get to the final play of that 14 inning Royals/Mets game in seconds.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
There is a very good chance this could be achieved by changing a single value in a software routine. If that's true, then the maximum search speed should be determined by the fastest speed that doesn't significantly diminish efficiency. What other need could there be for an arbitrary limit on search speed? Then you could even get to the final play of that 14 inning Royals/Mets game in seconds.
If you will know how index file built for each recordings, you would easy add another step or two into FF loop routine: x256, x512,x1024, etc; using the multiplier in other routine what fetching time-mark/offset in TS file will run same way, it will not changing other code at all.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question about DVR+ ethernet function

I've been having issues with my Ethernet connection staying active using a Trendnet powerline adapter. How does the DVR+ handle the Ethernet port? Is it always active or does it become active say when its time to refresh the Rovi guide? My mind tells me that port should be active and basically "on" all the time unless the cable is pulled.

Every couple days I have to pull the parent powerline adapter and plug it back in so I have an internet connection active in the DVR+? I can't figure out why it disconnects for long periods of time like DAYS? I can look at my network map in the router and see it's not listed, so does this mean it's a problem with the Trendnet? The lights on the router for that port flicker as well as the lights on the trendnet, and I can also hear it making squealing sounds when on an analog phone, but the DVR+ and my router say it's not connected? Running a hardline is just too far away.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
I've been having issues with my Ethernet connection staying active using a Trendnet powerline adapter. How does the DVR+ handle the Ethernet port? Is it always active or does it become active say when its time to refresh the Rovi guide? My mind tells me that port should be active and basically "on" all the time unless the cable is pulled.

Every couple days I have to pull the parent powerline adapter and plug it back in so I have an internet connection active in the DVR+? I can't figure out why it disconnects for long periods of time like DAYS? I can look at my network map in the router and see it's not listed, so does this mean it's a problem with the Trendnet? The lights on the router for that port flicker as well as the lights on the trendnet, and I can also hear it making squealing sounds when on an analog phone, but the DVR+ and my router say it's not connected? Running a hardline is just too far away.
Perhaps if you post the make & model of your router someone here can offer some insight. I use a Netgear R7500 which has a log that can track all kinds of activity. It's not a well known function of the router (like the event log of Windows).
Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Just a Update on my Guide Issue with Comet TV and Rovi. I emailed Rovi on Sunday, and got a email back on Tuesday asking to verify my Zip Code and this morning Rovi is showing the correct programming info.
JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What would cause 100 strength and a 0 quality?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc1620 View Post
What would cause 100 strength and a 0 quality?

I had this same issue about a month ago with my local NBC (all other channels were fine), I had a 100 strength and 0-10% in quality and the channel would cut out and back in. I emailed channel master and they told me to check all my cables. I did 2 or 3 cold boots and still the problem persist. I ended up hooking up a old OTA tuner and the NBC channel was rock solid. So I hooked up the DVR+ (after being off for a few hours) and NBC then showed 100 for both Strength and Quality. The problem has not returned. So maybe unplug your DVR+ for a few hours.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
I had this same issue about a month ago with my local NBC (all other channels were fine), I had a 100 strength and 0-10% in quality and the channel would cut out and back in. I emailed channel master and they told me to check all my cables. I did 2 or 3 cold boots and still the problem persist. I ended up hooking up a old OTA tuner and the NBC channel was rock solid. So I hooked up the DVR+ (after being off for a few hours) and NBC then showed 100 for both Strength and Quality. The problem has not returned. So maybe unplug your DVR+ for a few hours.
Sounds like overheating of tuner chip ...
Old 11-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Sounds like overheating of tuner chip ...

For just one channel? You would think it would affect all channels.

Last edited by jericko76; 11-05-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
For just one channel? You would think it would affect all channels.
sure not, it should affect all stations, not just one channel
May be the station changed some data in system info what the DVR keep after scanning ?
I would do re-scan next time if the issue comes up again.
jericko76 likes this.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've been having issues with my Ethernet connection staying active using a Trendnet powerline adapter. My mind tells me that port should be active and basically "on" all the time unless the cable is pulled.

Every couple days I have to pull the parent powerline adapter and plug it back in so I have an internet connection active in the DVR+? The lights on the router for that port flicker as well as the lights on the trendnet, and I can also hear it making squealing sounds when on an analog phone, but the DVR+ and my router say it's not connected? Running a hardline is just too far away.
As far as I can tell, mine generally stays active as long as the DVR+ has electricity. I did have a problem recently, though, when I switched ISPs (from Clear to TWC). Everything came back up fine except my powerline adapters. Somehow, they lost their link between each other. I had a lot of trouble getting them paired back up but when I unplugged one from the power strip I'd had it in and plugged it directly into the wall instead, they started to cooperate again and haven't given me any more trouble since.

I wonder if there's something similar in your case? Maybe there's something interfering with the powerline adapters' ability to talk to each other. Mine don't make any noises on my telephone landline; I can't see how that could be happening unless there's something plugged into both the power and phone lines (like a cordless phone or answering machine) that's not filtering the adapters' signal out of the power connection, so it's getting into the phone line.

If you have a telephone device like that, try unplugging it and see if your powerline adapters work better.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Perhaps if you post the make & model of your router someone here can offer some insight. I use a Netgear R7500 which has a log that can track all kinds of activity. It's not a well known function of the router (like the event log of Windows).

Its an Asus TMAC1900 The logs basically show what's connected, and when it is and isn't, and the times. It doesn't show why a disconnect happens. Trendnet seems to not want to reply, but if they do I'm sure they will blame it on something else. It finally reconnected late last night after being off for 3 days. Have you ever seen the movie "Ghost's In The Machine"? I gots plenty of them!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Its an Asus TMAC1900 The logs basically show what's connected, and when it is and isn't, and the times. It doesn't show why a disconnect happens. Trendnet seems to not want to reply, but if they do I'm sure they will blame it on something else. It finally reconnected late last night after being off for 3 days. Have you ever seen the movie "Ghost's In The Machine"? I gots plenty of them!
Time to call a ghost buster? But sorry for your problem. I'm a little OCD so an internet failure would be detected quickly on many devices. Best I can suggest is to monitor the situation and see if a pattern develops. When I had a Sony that used Rovi, my wake up procedure was to be sure the overnight update of the guide was ok. Not much has changed except it's not Rovi anymore.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
As far as I can tell, mine generally stays active as long as the DVR+ has electricity. I did have a problem recently, though, when I switched ISPs (from Clear to TWC). Everything came back up fine except my powerline adapters. Somehow, they lost their link between each other. I had a lot of trouble getting them paired back up but when I unplugged one from the power strip I'd had it in and plugged it directly into the wall instead, they started to cooperate again and haven't given me any more trouble since.

I wonder if there's something similar in your case? Maybe there's something interfering with the powerline adapters' ability to talk to each other. Mine don't make any noises on my telephone landline; I can't see how that could be happening unless there's something plugged into both the power and phone lines (like a cordless phone or answering machine) that's not filtering the adapters' signal out of the power connection, so it's getting into the phone line.

If you have a telephone device like that, try unplugging it and see if your powerline adapters work better.

I will try a different outlet as soon as I find a long enough cable. The odd thing is mine have status lights that blink to show you whats going on. When they seem to not be connected, the lights are all green like they're supposed to be? 1 blinks red when data is passing through. Other than that, if they are not talking to each other, 1 of the green lights go out. All I ever see are all green, and red when Rovi is updating.

This squealing is most likely because I have the phones wallwart plugged into the same outlet as the parent powerline. It squeals even when I'm having connection issues. I think I'm going to cave and run a cable under the house to the back and do away with these powerlines and see if things change. I could use the extra wall outlet anyway.

So I don't have to write another post, I found the problem with the failed recordings from a week or so ago. I'm out of work again so instead of heading out in the morning I'm turning the tube on. I found that I had only 1 channel in the mornings until things warmed up... on every TV in the house. I finally noticed my failed recordings were all the ones that were scheduled after midnight. Before that I was losing signal to my PBS channels around 9pm and gave it no thought. What happened is my pre-amp is failing when the outside temp falls. If the DVR+ see's so little signal, instead of recording gobbly gook, it just fails. I wrapped the pre-amp with insulation and all is good now...except the fact that I have to find another worthy pre-amp that has an internal combiner. I use the CM Titan 7777 but the new models have a hinky external combiner like the ones RatShack used to sell that didn't work that well.

It never ends.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Time to call a ghost buster? But sorry for your problem. I'm a little OCD so an internet failure would be detected quickly on many devices. Best I can suggest is to monitor the situation and see if a pattern develops. When I had a Sony that used Rovi, my wake up procedure was to be sure the overnight update of the guide was ok. Not much has changed except it's not Rovi anymore.

I hear ya, I do the same thing but before I go to bed. That way I know I have something to do when I wake up
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi,
I just got my CM 16GB set up and running last night. I am coming from a Dish DVRPal and just have a couple of questions.

1. Will the 16GB recognize the formatting on the 1TB drive that is in my Pal and play the programs recorded on there?

2. Will the DVR+ Lister program copy the programs from the Pal formatted disk and copy them to my new 1TB drive I'm currently using on the 16GB?

3. I am in an area that views OTA signals from a repeater. They are not on the origional channels coming from Salt Lake City. I'm only seeing PSIP programming info on the onscreen guide. Could the ROVI extended guide be confused about the channels being switched? Should I lie to the box and tell it that I'm in a zip code in SLC? Is there a way to map the channels I'm getting manually so the ROVI information matches and I get the extended on screen guide?

4. Will my old Dish DVRPal remote work with the Channel Master GB16? That remote looks remarkably like the enhanced remote for sale on the CM site.

Any help on these questions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
James

Last edited by James_in_Utah; 11-05-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The answers to questions 1, 2, and 4 are no, unfortunately (although for #4 , several DVR+ owners use a Dish 20.1 learning remote which is very similar to the DTVPal remote).

For #1 and #2 , the problem isn't the DVR+; it's the Pal. The Pal uses a completely proprietary nonpublic file system that E* developed for Dish Network DVRs, and nothing else (at least nothing legal in the US) can read it.

Also, the DVR+ Lister program is designed for copying recordings from the DVR+. AFAIK no one has yet developed software to copy recordings to the DVR+.

Luckily, the answer to question 3 is probably yes; lie to your DVR+ and use a SLC Zip code. Your virtual channels should be the same as SLC (even if the RF channels are different), so Rovi's SLC guide should work.

But unfortunately there's no way to manually remap channels, so if any of the virtual channel numbers are different, you'll have to live with PSIP guide data for those.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-07-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Clarify that the Pal's file system is not publicly documented. "Proprietary" didn't quite capture that nuance.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
Hi,
I just got my CM 16GB set up and running last night. I am coming from a Dish DVRPal and just have a couple of questions.

1. Will the 16GB recognize the formatting on the 1TB drive that is in my Pal and play the programs recorded on there?

2. Will the DVR+ Lister program copy the programs from the Pal formatted disk and copy them to my new 1TB drive I'm currently using on the 16GB?

3. I am in an area that views OTA signals from a repeater. They are not on the origional channels coming from Salt Lake City. I'm only seeing PSIP programming info on the onscreen guide. Could the ROVI extended guide be confused about the channels being switched? Should I lie to the box and tell it that I'm in a zip code in SLC? Is there a way to map the channels I'm getting manually so the ROVI information matches and I get the extended on screen guide?

4. Will my old Dish DVRPal remote work with the Channel Master GB16? That remote looks remarkably like the enhanced remote for sale on the CM site.

Any help on these questions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
James
What JHBrandt said, unfortunately!

I would add that you should notify Rovi of the ZIP Code where the repeater is located and ask them to fix the Guide Data. You can use their "Contact Us" web page, or telephone them at 1-866-686-8947 (thanks jericko76).

I'm curious why your DVR+ came with the "flat" remote control, since a new owner (on another thread) implied that her DVR+ came with the "Enhanced" remote control. How long ago did you order your DVR+?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... The Pal uses a completely proprietary file system that E* developed for Dish Network DVRs, and nothing else (at least nothing legal in the US) can read it.

Also, the DVR+ Lister program is designed for copying recordings from the DVR+. AFAIK no one has yet developed software to copy recordings to the DVR+.

I'm wondering why the "proprietary" file system is immune from attempts to write backup/restore software for it ? I know for sure one program [PVRexplorer] is capable to do the functions for E*FS aka "DAVESYSTEM".

Also regardless how proprietary other file systems like FAT, NTFS, XFS, etc there are many SW companies who selling backup/restore suites.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I'm curious why your DVR+ came with the "flat" remote control, since a new owner (on another thread) implied that her DVR+ came with the "Enhanced" remote control. How long ago did you order your DVR+?

I just ordered the box on Oct 30. Bummer.
pachinko likes this.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Quote:
I just ordered the box on Oct 30. Bummer.
Very odd! She had her DVR+ up and running on Oct 26, and confirmed that it came with the "Enhanced" remote control. She didn't say if she bought the 16GB or 1TB model, so maybe something to do with that?

If it's a bummer, or not, depends upon if you like the fact that the single On/Off button affects both the DVR+ and TV, and may not compatible with versions prior to 123R due to a single Audio/CC button. Of course, it does have good qualities too, like the shape, battery type, and longer IR range.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 226
For either model the enhanced remote is listed as a $29 option. I didn't think anyone would get one included with their DVR until CM totally ran out of the flat ones, and then I expected they'd raise their prices a bit to compensate for that addition..

Old 11-06-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
What JHBrandt said, unfortunately!

I would add that you should notify Rovi of the ZIP Code where the repeater is located and ask them to fix the Guide Data. You can use their "Contact Us" web page, or telephone them at 1-866-686-8947 (thanks jericko76).

Just an update. My ROVI info just showed since yesterday. I've had the box plugged in since Tuesday, and it wasn't there as of Wednesday night, so some time between Wednesday night and Friday morning is populated. All except one channel that doesn't get PSIP. They reduce the signal from HD to standard, so the PSIP is stripped off, and then change it from 30.1 to 4.3 on the repeater. Maybe I can get ROVI to add that to my line up. I will call them on Monday.
THanks,
James
Old 11-06-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just an update. My ROVI info just showed since yesterday. I've had the box plugged in since Tuesday, and it wasn't there as of Wednesday night, so some time between Wednesday night and Friday morning is populated. All except one channel that doesn't get PSIP. They reduce the signal from HD to standard, so the PSIP is stripped off, and then change it from 30.1 to 4.3 on the repeater. Maybe I can get ROVI to add that to my line up. I will call them on Monday.
THanks,
James
Nay, any conversions of video/audio in own PIDs does not affect other PIDs, especially these with PSIP info.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:20 PM

So, in Ogden, the channel is High Def, and is on 30.1. Where I live, it is reduced to low def, and is on 4.30. I see the extended programming guide on 30.1 on the GB16, but there is no signal there. On 4.30, i do get PSIP, but not the extended guide. I'm hoping that ROVI will just make a change so I can get the extended guide on 4.30 also. On my Dish DVRPal, I don't even get the PSIP info on 4.30.
Thanks,
James
Old 11-07-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I get it. That one channel is getting decoded and re-encoded, so the original PSIP (including virtual channel number) is gone. Rovi probably doesn't know about the "wrinkle" with that one channel, so they probably don't have guide data for it yet either; but they should be able to fix that for your Zip code.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

CMTV has added a new OTT channel: 450, "Stream Shift TV." No description in the guide but it seems sports-related.

I updated my CMTV channel list here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post38160689
artisticimaging likes this.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
RTVis said on 10/30/2015:

The external hard drive has a couple of advantages over the internal one. Money is one. The other that is important to me is the ability to connect the hard drive to my PC and move the saved videos off of the DVR+ for whatever purpose I want (streaming onto other devices, keeping a larger archive of programs, burning to DVD if I want, etc.)

Does this mean that I could burn the program to a DVD and play the DVD in a DVD/Blu-ray player on my TV? If so how would I do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k