Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 331 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 2635Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9901 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Arenal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
Here's a fun one:

I own two DVR+ units. One shows incorrect guide data for our local PBS stations, but the other one is right. I have tried refreshing the Rovi data, and for a brief time the schedule is correct. Eventually, however, the guide once again shows spurious entries. I get the same result after doing a complete re-scan of all local channels.

I also tried entering a neighboring zip code and refreshing the guide, but the result was no better. Even a full factory reset exhibits the same behavior.

Both units are running 124R. All other networks on the faulty DVR+ are showing proper data; it's only the PBS affiliates that are wacky. BTW, all other channels display to proper logo graphic in the left-hand pane of the guide, but the KET/PBS channels do not.
Try doing a cold reboot on the problem DVR+. Unplug the power cord for several minutes, then plug the cord back in. You'll get the "grinding gears" screen, after which the DVR+ will take a few minutes to download a new Rovi guide. The DVR+ will respond very sluggishly during this time. That's normal.
Arenal04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9902 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Member
 
DeOlMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just tried looking at CM's Facebook feed. I can't do it now because of this obnoxious pop-up that wants me to login. I refuse to join Facebook because of their predatory tracking practices.

Thank you one and all for your participation in this forum and keeping me abreast to what is happening with the DVR+. It is truly appreciated.
Wm58 likes this.
DeOlMan is offline  
post #9903 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
I just tried looking at CM's Facebook feed. I can't do it now because of this obnoxious pop-up that wants me to login. I refuse to join Facebook because of their predatory tracking practices.

Thank you one and all for your participation in this forum and keeping me abreast to what is happening with the DVR+. It is truly appreciated.
Try https://www.facebook.com/mychannelmaster. I'm not logged into facebook, and it works for me (for viewing that is, not for posting).
Wm58 likes this.
pachinko is offline  
post #9904 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Greasemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Plus the idiotic middleman practice of "accepting" our reports , actually total ignoring!
And so we have in one sentence the strong argument for an open source model for the DVR+. I wonder...how difficult would it really be for some bored Apache people to write an entire SW/FW architecture for the DVR+ that replaces what is there? They could call it Open DVR, and tweak it for various hardware platforms. People write software that enhances the performance on vehicles all the time, killing the RPM limiters, changing the firing sequences of injectors, etc. Come to think of it, I bet VW could do a pretty good job on the software...
vince48 and Wm58 like this.
Greasemonkey is offline  
post #9905 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,428
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 571
That already exists; you don't even need a DVR+. You need:

  1. An HDHomeRun tuner box
  2. An Android-based TV box with an OpenELEC port available for it (so you can replace the Android OS with OpenELEC)
  3. A Schedules Direct subscription for the guide (don't freak; it's only $25/year, nowhere near the cost of a T**o subscription)

That combo actually costs less than a DVR+. The big advantage of the DVR+ is that you get everything you need (except the HDD & cables) with one purchase - and with the 1TB version you don't even need the HDD. The open-source solution requires a fair amount of mixing, matching, and tinkering to get it going (although I'll bet there are folks who'll set it all up for you).
vince48 likes this.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #9906 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 123
is it possible one is using rovi guide and the other psip?
wizwor is offline  
post #9907 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
wiscojim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
is it possible one is using rovi guide and the other psip?
I've found that my two DVR+ units in the living room will have different guide info if one has been recently used and the other has not been run through the channels. It seems as if the PSIP info will override the ROVI data if there is a conflict.

.
wiscojim is offline  
post #9908 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That already exists; you don't even need a DVR+. You need...

The thing I like about the DVR+ instead of the home grown versions is that it is so compact, small footprint, small energy requirement, no additional charges, and I get to hang out here

But really, a FW mod project would be Way Cool !
I would buy another DVR+ to alpha the releases if something like that ever got off the ground.
Wm58 is offline  
post #9909 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Member
 
DeOlMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Thanks, but no joy.
DeOlMan is offline  
post #9910 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 43degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 140
i have a 500g hdd with the older 2.0 usb interface any issue with this?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....64" Samsung F8500 Plasma 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo 818 Crown xls-2002 Sony Blu-Ray 790 Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #9911 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
i have a 500g hdd with the older 2.0 usb interface any issue with this?
Both USB ports on the DVR+ are 2.0, so that should not be an issue. Prior to DVR+ version 123/124R, there were reports of some 2TB USB drives being incompatible with the DVR+, but not all (you’d have to search this thread for their models). I don’t recall if there were reports of this same issue after version123/124R.

Just plug it in and see what happens.
pachinko is offline  
post #9912 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Greasemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That already exists; you don't even need a DVR+. You need:

  1. An HDHomeRun tuner box
  2. An Android-based TV box with an OpenELEC port available for it (so you can replace the Android OS with OpenELEC)
  3. A Schedules Direct subscription for the guide (don't freak; it's only $25/year, nowhere near the cost of a T**o subscription
I'm with Wm58 on this. The footprint is smaller than a sheet of notebook paper, and it's only a half inch tall. Plus, the primary reason I went with the DVR+ is that is doesn't have a subscription fee. That was a big selling point for me, despite the...shall we say irregularities with PSIP data. I think the DVR+ hardware is top shelf all the way; it's the SW/FW that is buggy, and that probably included the red light bug, as well. And the funny thing is (funny strange, not funny ha ha) is that I don't think it would take much to get rid of all the bugs in the software, including the PSIP/Guide problems. If I switch to a channel, the PSIP data populates the Guide immediately, sometimes for up to two days.

And in that PSIP/Guide vein, I did some experimenting with the dummy programming last night that fixed the problem I mentioned earlier, and got a bonus for my efforts. I deleted the dummy programming and recreated it, with the date parameter to begin the next day (today). I also eliminated the channel identifier so the all the dummy programming for the various channels was simply named "DUMMY". Each of the programs are now scheduled to record every day for the next two weeks, and all the different channel programs still dump into one folder which is a lot more efficient to delete than individual programs. For some reason I was under the mistaken impression that programs with the same name but on different channels would go into their own folder. My bad. And as I previously stated, there hasn't been a single missed Guide-scheduled recording event since I started doing that. The only real problem I could see it presenting is if I actually want to record something at the same time the dummy programs are recording. And I could eliminate this process if the programmers integrated a better channel scanning routine into the software. Given that Guide data populates as soon as a channel becomes active I really believe that a simple channel scanning schedule set at specific time intervals would totally solve this issue.
Greasemonkey is offline  
post #9913 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
...
And in that PSIP/Guide vein, I did some experimenting with the dummy programming last night that fixed the problem I mentioned earlier, and got a bonus for my efforts. I deleted the dummy programming and recreated it, with the date parameter to begin the next day (today). I also eliminated the channel identifier so the all the dummy programming for the various channels was simply named "DUMMY". Each of the programs are now scheduled to record every day for the next two weeks, and all the different channel programs still dump into one folder which is a lot more efficient to delete than individual programs. For some reason I was under the mistaken impression that programs with the same name but on different channels would go into their own folder. My bad. And as I previously stated, there hasn't been a single missed Guide-scheduled recording event since I started doing that. The only real problem I could see it presenting is if I actually want to record something at the same time the dummy programs are recording. And I could eliminate this process if the programmers integrated a better channel scanning routine into the software. Given that Guide data populates as soon as a channel becomes active I really believe that a simple channel scanning schedule set at specific time intervals would totally solve this issue.
I’ve never needed to use PSIP so I don’t have the issues associated with that, but I find what you’re sharing with the community very interesting. Thanks!

I’m wondering why you’re recording 15 minutes instead of the 5 minute minimum?

It also sounds like you’re making a “dummy” recording for each day for 2 weeks, instead of one dummy using the option to repeat “daily”. If that’s the case, why?
pachinko is offline  
post #9914 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,428
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Plus, the primary reason I went with the DVR+ is that it doesn't have a subscription fee.
I'm with you on that. But we never would have gotten a free guide with an open-source solution. Both Rovi and TMS (Schedules Direct's source) are built on intellectual property rights, so they have to zealously guard those rights.

If you want a true open-source solution, I think $25/year is very reasonable for TMS's quality guide data; and of course you can always stick with PSIP for free. But if you want a free, 14-day guide as with the DVR+, I don't ever see that happening with open source.

That said, I think CM/E* could give us a "best of both worlds" solution. Instead of opening their source, keep it proprietary, but publish an API for developers to produce their own apps. Then, for example, we could all be asking Netflix to give us an app, instead of just waiting and hoping for Netflix and CM to come to some sort of agreement.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #9915 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,428
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I could eliminate this process if the programmers integrated a better channel scanning routine into the software. Given that Guide data populates as soon as a channel becomes active I really believe that a simple channel scanning schedule set at specific time intervals would totally solve this issue.
When I got my DVR+ it came with firmware version 108R, and like you, I didn't connect it to the Internet. I was pleasantly surprised that 108R did a very good job of keeping the PSIP guides for all channels up-to-date.

Apparently somewhere since, E* goofed up the PSIP channel scanning, so now we have to schedule dummy recordings to force the issue. But if your DVR+ isn't hooked to the Internet, then presumably you have no need for its Pandora or YouTube apps, or for CMTV. Thus, falling back to 108R might be a reasonable choice.
pilotart likes this.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #9916 of 11885 Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Member
 
Greasemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I’m wondering why you’re recording 15 minutes instead of the 5 minute minimum?

It also sounds like you’re making a “dummy” recording for each day for 2 weeks, instead of one dummy using the option to repeat “daily”. If that’s the case, why?
There was no specific reason to go with 15 minutes, but I think there is some scanning that takes place for channels other than that which is recording. I may try editing the manual programs and shortening the time to 5 minutes. That way I can create dummy recordings for additional channels. Right now I have 5 channels programmed that way--two at a time, 15 minutes each which means that both tuners are in use during recording. To be more clear, I do have the schedule set to "daily". I think the technical glitch occurred because when I originally set them up I set them up to initially begin recording on same day I created them, and then changed the "Repeat" parameter to "Daily". Not sure why it worked for a couple of weeks then switched to every other day, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt
That said, I think CM/E* could give us a "best of both worlds" solution. Instead of opening their source, keep it proprietary, but publish an API for developers to produce their own apps. Then, for example, we could all be asking Netflix to give us an app, instead of just waiting and hoping for Netflix and CM to come to some sort of agreement.
Bingo! And users who use the Internet for their guide info could choose a provider on their own. And for people who use PSIP like I do, someone could develop an app that plugs into the existing routines and performs scanning functions to populate the Guide. And then when CM changes the look and feel to make the interface look more like a competitor's, someone can develop a "Classic Theme Restorer". I agree that the API is the way to go. It would also take a lot of pressure off the in house development team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt
Apparently somewhere since, E* goofed up the PSIP channel scanning, so now we have to schedule dummy recordings to force the issue. But if your DVR+ isn't hooked to the Internet, then presumably you have no need for its Pandora or YouTube apps, or for CMTV. Thus, falling back to 108R might be a reasonable choice.
I think they are intentionally focusing their development to support Internet/Streaming all the way around, as that is the overall trend in content delivery, and they see PSIP as more of an afterthought. I understand that, but I think that the value of PSIP data is underrated all the way around. I may be wrong, but I think that PSIP data is more conducive to being updated on the fly than is data from a provider. In part because when the unit is on PSIP can be embedded with a network or station signal and can be scanned almost constantly by the DVR+, whereas Internet data needs to be captured by providers such as Rovi, published to their service and then updated by the DVR+. If that's correct, PSIP data can be a goldmine for programming information for things like a sports event that runs long or when programming is interrupted by events like the Paris attacks. Updating the data on the fly via PSIP and regular scanning by the DVR+ could take all that into account and adjust the recording schedule accordingly. But that's a beef with the networks and stations more so than with CM/E*. Living in North Texas you will probably also understand this: I also have a beef with stations when it comes to interrupting programming because of weather emergencies, especially in the digital age. How hard would it be to run regular programming on a subchannel with an information crawl at the bottom of the screen, and interrupt the programming on the primary channel to cover their reporting obligations? Granted, it wouldn't help the people who are getting their programming from satellite and cable providers. But it might increase the sales of antennas so people have that option. I'm guessing most people are using an HDMI connection for their satellite/cable connections, which leaves the RF connection open. I hear people complain all the time that their satellite service drops off when the weather turns bad, but they look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that a simple antenna will at least give them a backup for some of the channels they lose. Frequently, people are shocked when I tell them that I am receiving almost 90 channels over the air, and many of them have no idea what a subchannel is. But most of them have seen that commercial with the guy on a boat in the bay talking about the miracle of "free" television broadcasting they can get if they buy that rinky dink antenna.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 11-17-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Greasemonkey is offline  
post #9917 of 11885 Old 11-18-2015, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Cool Program Guides

I've been strictly on a MOHU Antenna for two years now (supplemented by internet streams) and I only get 25 channels in my Fort Myers, Florida area, but that's plenty for me and they're all perfect reception-wise, all the time.

The DVR+ has made it possible to enjoy watching OTA TV and I've used very little 'streaming' (Amazon Prime used to be an almost daily affair) in the four months since my DVR+ was delivered.

For 'TV Guide' information, I still rely heavily on Titan TV's website which has better programming information than Rovi and its customization allows me to better enjoy its presentation.

It also reaches out for two weeks (much simpler, faster 'jump ahead (or back)' and better 'search' functions than the Rovi which I'd enjoyed on my Sony (with far better customization than DVR+'s Rovi) long before DVR+ was introduced.

I had seen a listing on TitanTV.com that I wanted to record for a week in the future and when I went there on DVR+, program details were missing. So I knew I was on the PSIP Guide (no fault of the DVR+ as it was still connected {Ethernet}, but my WiFi adapter needed reset). I just selected DVR+ to record that "Unknown" at the proper date/time and it was scheduled. After resetting my Adapter the Rovi Guide was restored and program information was shown.

BTW, @pachinko 's Facebook Link works fine here with no 'nag' to 'log-on'. I do have a Facebook account, but it is carefully restricted and does not log me in automatically when I visit and is unavailable for most of the world (beyond some of my selected 'friends') to access at all. You have to always use an email if needed to 'create an account' and never-ever use that simple "sign up with your Facebook" option to keep it secure.
Art
pilotart is offline  
post #9918 of 11885 Old 11-18-2015, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
danshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jeffersontown, KY
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Try doing a cold reboot on the problem DVR+. Unplug the power cord for several minutes, then plug the cord back in. You'll get the "grinding gears" screen, after which the DVR+ will take a few minutes to download a new Rovi guide. The DVR+ will respond very sluggishly during this time. That's normal.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried this with no improvement. I may attempt a firmware reinstall. Glad I have two DVR+ units so I don't absolutely miss something.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
danshane is offline  
post #9919 of 11885 Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
danshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jeffersontown, KY
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
is it possible one is using rovi guide and the other psip?
That is what I am wondering. It looks like the PSIP might be overrriding the Rovi info on select channels. I suspect that to be the case because the guide data is correct immediately after a Rovi guide refresh, but then after a while it screws up again.

I have not found a way to force Rovi and ignore PSIP. I always assumed that an Internet connection would cause the unit to default to Rovi on all OTA channels.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
danshane is offline  
post #9920 of 11885 Old 11-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Member
 
Arenal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
That is what I am wondering. It looks like the PSIP might be overrriding the Rovi info on select channels. I suspect that to be the case because the guide data is correct immediately after a Rovi guide refresh, but then after a while it screws up again.

I have not found a way to force Rovi and ignore PSIP. I always assumed that an Internet connection would cause the unit to default to Rovi on all OTA channels.
Just a thought. Does the DVR+ with the bad Rovi data stay connected to the Internet? Given the symptoms, it sounds like the problem DVR+ is not getting Rovi updates. I'm assuming both of your DVR+ units are connected to a router. You can check in the DVR+ to see if it's connected. Also, you can log into your router and see the current connections.

To be honest, if the problem unit is not staying connected to the router then I'm not sure what the next step would be. But at least this may point to where the problem is.

[Edit] Hmmm, re-reading your initial post, it sounds like the problem DVR+ does stay connected to your router. Probably a wild goose chase to check the Internet and router connectivity...

Last edited by Arenal04; 11-18-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Arenal04 is offline  
post #9921 of 11885 Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,428
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
... I think that the value of PSIP data is underrated all the way around. I may be wrong, but I think that PSIP data is more conducive to being updated on the fly than is data from a provider.
I think you're right; as you surmised, PSIP data is broadcast more or less continuously by each station, so any tuner tuned to a station will get the PSIP guide data for all of that station's subchannels. The Rovi guide is probably downloaded only once a day. That's how often their old TVGoS service was updated, so it's likely that the Internet version works the same way. Of course, you can force a download any time via the menu, but if Rovi hasn't updated the data on their servers, that still won't help with those last-minute changes.

That means that if Rovi doesn't get correct guide data at least a day in advance, the DVR+ won't get the schedule right and you may miss part or all of a recording. That's happened to me repeatedly trying to record Stephen Colbert on Thursdays, since CBS had Thursday Night Football pushing the schedule back until this month. (Rovi had a fixed 15-minute game delay on Thursdays, but the true delay was always longer.) But PSIP data can be fixed by the station right up to the start or end time of an event and the DVR+ will see the change (and hopefully adjust its recording schedule accordingly).

The big knock against PSIP is that it's short. It can theoretically go out 16 days, but the FCC only requires stations to broadcast four 3-hour blocks of guide data, and many stations just do that bare minimum, although some do better. A smaller knock is that low-power stations aren't required to provide any guide data via PSIP, and so most don't (or they provide meaningless guide data like repeated 3-hour "TBA" blocks). So any option to overlay Rovi's data with PSIP would need to be a per-channel option, so you could avoid overlaying good data with bad.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #9922 of 11885 Old 11-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I find PSIP date to be accurate 99% of the time. Rovi and Gracenote not so much. When there is a problem with PSIP data, I can usually get it cleaned up with an email to the station (of the FCC). Rovi and Gracenote never correct errors. I don't generally care what is on in a week, so PSIP works just fine.
wizwor is offline  
post #9923 of 11885 Old 11-18-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 3,428
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 571
<Sigh> Don't know about everyone else, but CMTV channel 650, BYU TV, is gone from my DVR+. I doubt it showed up there longer than a week. It never worked for me, but I barely had a chance to even try it.

Edit: For reference, here's the link to my updated list of CMTV channels once again:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post38160689

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-18-2015 at 06:40 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #9924 of 11885 Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Senior Member
 
danshane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jeffersontown, KY
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post

[Edit] Hmmm, re-reading your initial post, it sounds like the problem DVR+ does stay connected to your router. Probably a wild goose chase to check the Internet and router connectivity...
Actually I think you are onto something.

Last night my Roku 3 started giving me fits as well, and it is connected to the same router/switch as the DVR+. I had to resort to a wireless connection on the Roku.

Also, occasionally the DVR+ is complaining that the wired connection has dropped, but then it will immediately reconnect. It is beginning to sound like the little Linksys router is getting flaky, so tonight I will replace it with a proven Netgear FS08 switch to see if things improve.

If that does not fix the issue by itself I will try swapping my DVR units to see if the problem follows the unit or stays in the bedroom.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
danshane is offline  
post #9925 of 11885 Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Member
 
James_in_Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi,
Just a couple of questions on using this DVR+, since I'm used to using the Dish DVRPal.

1. I know it has two tuners. If I want to record 2 shows at the same time starting at 7pm, and then another show that starts at 8pm, can the DVR+ handle that, or do I have to mess around with the recording times to make sure the two earlier recordings end before the follow on recording starts?

2. If I tell the DVR+ to record all "New" episodes of Criminal Minds on CBS channel 2.1, will it also record all of the episodes that come on Tuesday on ION all day long? This is what it did last week. When I looked at the episodes on ION, they do say New Episode, even though they are several years old. Is this the expected behavior?

3. When does the DVR+ use the default record early and default record late options? I've noticed that sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.

4. It would be nice if the list of recordings indicated which channel the show was recorded on. That way I could easily spot my brand new episode of Criminal Minds among the 34 episodes recorded mostly off of ION.

5. When you pull up the info on a program that you have recorded, it would be nice if the down and up buttons would select the next program and show the info of that program instead of having to hit the back button, then down arrow, then info on the next show. Am I missing some feature there?

Any hints on any of these would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James
James_in_Utah is offline  
post #9926 of 11885 Old 11-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Member
 
Greasemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
1. I know it has two tuners. If I want to record 2 shows at the same time starting at 7pm, and then another show that starts at 8pm, can the DVR+ handle that, or do I have to mess around with the recording times to make sure the two earlier recordings end before the follow on recording starts?
Based on my experience, if your clock is set as accurately as possible you can generally watch the two early shows and see the previews for next week's program, then catch the beginning of the later program without missing anything. But if your clock is off some, that might not be the case. The default early/late options come into play here. I've found that the default early/late options only work with programs selected from the Guide. If you create a manual recording I don't think they are used. I've also found that if I record two sequential programs on the same channel, selected from the Guide and with default early/late options in effect I will catch next week's preview on the second program's recording event. The downtime between recordings, either on the same channel or different channel is just a second or two before it fires up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
2. If I tell the DVR+ to record all "New" episodes of Criminal Minds on CBS channel 2.1, will it also record all of the episodes that come on Tuesday on ION all day long? This is what it did last week. When I looked at the episodes on ION, they do say New Episode, even though they are several years old. Is this the expected behavior?
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can set it to record "New" episodes of a program, at least if the information is PSIP data. I've never seen any indication in the program information that indicates if an episode is new, but maybe if you use the Rovi guide via an Internet connection it's different. If you select a program to record from the Guide, and select "Record All Programs with this name" it will literally record all programs with that name, but only on the channel in the detail list when the event was created. However, if you also select a program of the same name, i.e. network broadcasts of Criminal Minds and indie stations airing Criminal Minds in syndication to record from the Guide, but on a different channel it will dump it into the folder of the other event because they have the same name. If that's the case, change the name of one or the other recording events by editing the series, i.e. Criminal Minds and CM.
Adoucette likes this.
Greasemonkey is offline  
post #9927 of 11885 Old 11-20-2015, 04:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoucette View Post
Anybody seen this before?
My CM with 2 TB USB HD has started having problems with keeping the sound in synch with the video.

Its particularly bad if I use the "skip forward" or "skip backward" buttons, then its often stuck in a cyclic repeat of a few seconds of audio as the video continues on.
Sometimes it resynchs, but usually I have to hit stop then "resume playback" to get it going again, in synch.

Thoughts?

PS, I disconnected the USB drive and recorded something on the internal storage and had the same problem.
I did a "check drive" and no help.

Unit is 18 months old.
I should have paid more attention when I was told this was a "new one".
After swapping everything from one system to the other (DVR+ and HD) it slowly became clear that the only constant was the TV.
It (a 3 month old Vizio E60-C3) is clearly the source of the problem, not the DVR+ or the HD.

Now to get Vizio to fix it or replace it.
JHBrandt likes this.
Adoucette is offline  
post #9928 of 11885 Old 11-20-2015, 07:12 AM
Member
 
Arenal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
Hi,
Just a couple of questions on using this DVR+, since I'm used to using the Dish DVRPal.

1. I know it has two tuners. If I want to record 2 shows at the same time starting at 7pm, and then another show that starts at 8pm, can the DVR+ handle that, or do I have to mess around with the recording times to make sure the two earlier recordings end before the follow on recording starts?
Yes, the DVR+ can handle it. However, as previously noted, if your DVR+'s clock is off, or the network switches to the next program a little late or early, you'll get a little overlap between the 7PM and 8PM show. Not much you can do about that other than have your DVR+ connected to the Internet and have it automatically maintain the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
2. If I tell the DVR+ to record all "New" episodes of Criminal Minds on CBS channel 2.1, will it also record all of the episodes that come on Tuesday on ION all day long? This is what it did last week. When I looked at the episodes on ION, they do say New Episode, even though they are several years old. Is this the expected behavior?
If the ION episodes say New Episode, then yes, you'll get the results you're getting. That's not the fault of the DVR+, it's the fault of the misleading Rovi data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
3. When does the DVR+ use the default record early and default record late options? I've noticed that sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.
To the best of my knowledge, it always honors the early/late values, except for back-to-back recordings, like you mentioned in item #1 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
4. It would be nice if the list of recordings indicated which channel the show was recorded on. That way I could easily spot my brand new episode of Criminal Minds among the 34 episodes recorded mostly off of ION.
Agreed. Can you determine the episodes you want by the date and/or time? Those are the only values that I can see that would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
5. When you pull up the info on a program that you have recorded, it would be nice if the down and up buttons would select the next program and show the info of that program instead of having to hit the back button, then down arrow, then info on the next show. Am I missing some feature there?
I just tried a number of likely buttons and none of them did this. I agree that it would be a nice feature. Try sending ChannelMaster an email with this feature request. Not saying they'll do it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
Any hints on any of these would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James
Arenal04 is offline  
post #9929 of 11885 Old 11-20-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 2,657
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
...
Any hints on any of these would be appreciated.
...
Wouldn't reading thread give you a lot of hints ?
P Smith is offline  
post #9930 of 11885 Old 11-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Member
 
Zonker007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Black Friday Sale Announced

Channel Master BF sales: 1 for $199 or 2 for $299
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black-Friday.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1069898  
JHBrandt, wizwor, pachinko and 1 others like this.
Zonker007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off