Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 352 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2797Likes

post #10531 of 12407 Old 01-11-2016, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
As I recall, there was a report before 124R that a Factory Reset caused the version to revert to the originally installed version. Whether that is factual or not, I do not know. However, I tested this in 124R, and like @Alainl12 said, the version did not revert, it remained 124R even though the original was either 108R or 111R (I forget which).
I would dismiss the "report" as not viable - DVR+ have no spare NVRAM storage for keep previous version of FW. To change it you must initiate [agree with] the process and has the file or stream with other version.
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 12407 Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Changes in 132R

Quote:
The DVR+ Software Update page is finally listing what's new in 132R! But don't get too excited because it's only SlingTV. No mention of bug fixes, or anything else. Not even anything about the front panel light issues.
Why on Earth would they not want to mention these things? Do they really think that Sling is all that matters to everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
Well I have discovered one change in the new version, besides Sling (which I haven't tried out yet)
The four colored buttons are restored when viewing DVR recordings:
red = delete
green = search
yellow = sort
blue = change view (series/schedule/recordings)
To call this an improvement would be silly, considering it's just restoring something they should've left alone in the first place. It's sad that these few (non-Sling) changes should be the reason I will upgrade from 124 to 132.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
... More noticeable during a camera pan (pan not smouth, some very quick breaks). This was not only hapenning on recording playback, but also hapenning of live TV. ...
Don't you love the English language? Beginning has a double n, while happening has just a single. Learning it isn't exactly smooth sailing.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; 01-11-2016 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Felt like editing something
post #10533 of 12407 Old 01-11-2016, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I currently have an issue where one channel only shows a black screen, even though both the signal strength and quality say 100%. This is a strong broadcast and I used to get it fine, until about a month ago. It also happens to transmit in high VHF (12 actual) but not sure that matters. 100%, as I said.
And I checked with my TV's internal tuner, it shows the channel just fine! Argh so it's a CM DVR+ problem.

Any ideas? I guess I will contact CM about this, but I don't have high hopes.

BTW this is channel 11 KNTV San Francisco if you're around here
post #10534 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You're forgetting that E* both writes the DVR+ firmware and owns Sling TV. So they certainly could have integrated Sling's guide into the DVR+ guide once you subscribe. There's no law that says the DVR+ has to run the same app as everyone else. That would have given the DVR+ a unique advantage over other devices like Roku that run the "generic" Sling app.
Quote:
On January 2, 2008, the Dish Network business was demerged from the technology and infrastructure side of the business. A split in the shares created two companies, DISH Network Corporation which consists mainly of the DISH Network business, and EchoStar Corporation which retains ownership of the technology side including the satellites, Sling Media, and the set-top box development arm.
Quote:
The OTT service was officially unveiled as Sling TV on January 5, 2015 in a presentation at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas;[10] the service is co-branded with the Sling brand owned by Dish Network's former parent Echostar, which also co-branded and provided placeshifting technology for the provider's Hopper with Sling multi-room DVR system.
I don't think you are correct on the relationships. I think E* makes the hardware and Dish Network does the programming -- including Sling TV. Regardless, Channel Master hired EchoStar to build the DVR+ then worked out a deal to carry the Sling TV app on the DVR+. While I would love for each Sling TV channel to be integrated as a separate line in the DVR+ EPG, I understand that that would require a second Sling TV code base -- not just for Sling TV, but for each of the add-ons. The only laws that drive these decisions are economic. Maybe STV gets there eventually.

While I would love those separate EPG entries, I would not pay extra for them. I would also not put this very high on my DVR+ wish list...

1. Netflix
2. Prime
3. More Linear OTT
4. Whole House
5. Stream to Roko/FTV/Nexus/iOS/Android

i'm pretty delighted with this DVR. Adding Pandora, CMTV, and Sling TV to the launch hardware is a very consumer friendly approach. (Remember that people speculated that Black Friday discounts were an indicator of a new product this year and last.)
OncleJulien likes this.
post #10535 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Don't you love the English language? Beginning has a double n, while happening has just a single. Learning it isn't exactly smooth sailing.

It's not a matter of I don't like English. This language is not my native language. I do my best to write in English properly. But it’s not easy. I learned it by watching TV and trying my best to write it properly. I don’t want to offend anybody. There is still a lot of people in Canada that speaks only French.
DJ in WA, jericko76, anant and 4 others like this.
post #10536 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 06:01 AM

Location: Silicon Valley (Evergreen Foothills) - Found 16 transmitters within 50 miles of antenna location
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
DVR+ & Slingbox 500 virtural remote

DVR+ & Slingbox 500 virtual remote fixed!

The problem was w/ the Slingbox 500 virtual remote " .bin" file that is used for the Channel Master DVR+ PVR. A custom " .bin" file was built and posted on their discussion forum (just search "Channel Master"). Follow the directions for uploading this file using Internet Explorer Browser.

I attached their zip file also.

EKS
Attached Files
File Type: zip Channel Mater DVR+.zip (1.2 KB, 21 views)
pachinko likes this.
post #10537 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I actually think this is a brilliant method of handling various apps. The WAF ("Wife Acceptance Factor") is much higher with activating an app from within the familiar guide than it is with switching HDMI inputs to a Roku box that, alas, also launches the same type of app.
I agree that putting apps in the guide is a nice idea that CM & E* came up with for this DVR that eliminates the annoyance of having to switch inputs & remotes. Zonker007 & I are only saying that, with Sling TV at least, it could & should have been done even better!

@wizwor , you may be right. I knew E* and Dish have been separate companies for a while now; my confusion was over Sling TV, which Wikipedia incorrectly lists as a product of Sling Media. Sling Media is a subsidiary of E*, but despite the similar name, Sling TV LLC is apparently a different company owned by Dish.

I'll correct Wikipedia's Sling Media infobox. I still think where there's a will, there's a way though.
post #10538 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by reacheks View Post
I was not successful in loading the 124R firmware via USB Flash drive. I was able to get the system into recovery mode and it started to load the firmware file. It got the complete file loaded then system said update failed and aborted. It then started to load the file again. I went back and checked the flash drive for any other files and/or folders and there were none only the firmware file I wanted to upload.

I formatted the Flash drive Fat32 and used the default file allocation size. I also tried a different USB Flash drive with the same results.EKS
Just a possible cause of your problem??
I have had the same problem trying to up date using a USB flash. What I discovered is that for some reason the DVR+ will not recognize a San Disk flash drive. I have 2 versions, the Cruzer Glide and the Cruzer Edge, neither of which will work even after reformatting. I switched over to a Toshiba USB flash drive and it worked with no problems.
The San Disk drives work fine for everything else that I have used them for, just not with the DVR+.
JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
post #10539 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
While playing with hiding channels in order to reply earlier to @r3r3r , I found that for the 2 channels that I hid, then unhid, there was no audio, only video. Thinking those channels may be having a transmission issue, I checked on another DVR. Both channels were working perfectly on that DVR. So I swapped the antenna leads between the 2 DVRs, and that had no effect on either DVR (the other played properly, the DVR+ did not). I then manually scanned the channel. I took a long time to scan, and as expected did not add any channels. The audio issue continued. After Warm Booting, the audio was restored to both channels! Cold Booting should do the same, although I did not test.
If it happens again, try doing a slight timeshift into the buffer to see if it resolves the issue. (just skip back 30 seconds or something) That usually solves my occasional audio issues. (although a boot might be a better "long term" fix if you don't want to take this step every time you load the channel)
dishrag2 and pachinko like this.
post #10540 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not a matter of I don't like English. This language is not my native language. I do my best to write in English properly. But it’s not easy. I learned it by watching TV and trying my best to write it properly. I don’t want to offend anybody. There is still a lot of people in Canada that speaks only French.
Don't take it personally. I think SirCrow was poking fun at the English language itself, not at you for not having mastered its quirks.
SirCrow likes this.
post #10541 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Channel Master TV shake-up

Looks like they've done some rearranging/tidying up of the linear channels in addition to adding Newsy TV. Strange that they would eliminate the Rivals Sports channel after promoting it (at least more than they did any other channels) on their Facebook page and the like last year.

I've updated the CMTV spreadsheet to reflect the changes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Russell_, dishrag2 and pachinko like this.
post #10542 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I actually think this is a brilliant method of handling various apps. The WAF ("Wife Acceptance Factor") is much higher with activating an app from within the familiar guide than it is with switching HDMI inputs to a Roku box that, alas, also launches the same type of app.
I agree except with us it is the appeal of a single remote. When we replaced DVR plus tv plus streamer with a DVR which streamed and whose remote controlled television functions, my wife became much happier...which makes the world a sunnier place.
Quote:
Is there any device, anywhere, that handles it differently? I only have a Roku, which my wife won't use, and the DVR+. My wife will activate the Pandora and YouTube apps from within the CM guide, but not switch inputs to Roku for the same content.
No, not really. TiVo is closest after the DVR+ -- they have the apps segregated so you have to navigate menus to run the apps (which have their own menu systems). CM is doing a great job integrating apps -- just need to do it faster.
post #10543 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown View Post
Looks like they've done some rearranging/tidying up of the linear channels in addition to adding Newsy TV. Strange that they would eliminate the Rivals Sports channel after promoting it (at least more than they did any other channels) on their Facebook page and the like last year.

Thank you Jeff. I really appreciate that you maintain this for us...except that I always get a little excited when I get to the last group -- then disappointed ;-)

Last edited by wizwor; 01-12-2016 at 08:55 AM. Reason: to meander
post #10544 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
If it happens again, try doing a slight timeshift into the buffer to see if it resolves the issue. (just skip back 30 seconds or something) That usually solves my occasional audio issues. (although a boot might be a better "long term" fix if you don't want to take this step every time you load the channel)
Thanks for the suggestion! I was hoping to put it to the test, but I could not get the audio to fail in order to test your idea. I tried hiding and unhiding those 2 channels several times, but the audio was okay each time. I even tried hiding the channels and manually scanning that channel before unhiding the channels, but still the audio is okay.

One thing that I notice different than yesterday is that when I manually scanned the channel today, it completed the scan very quickly. Yesterday it took about a minute for the same scan. I distinctly recall that it didn't ADD any channels (as I expected), but memory is fuzzy as to if it FOUND any channels. Today I noticed that it found 3 (which is correct for that channel), but of course did not ADD them because they were hidden. Now I'm thinking that the manual scan actually failed, and that had something to do with the lack of audio.

If it happens again, I hope to remember trying you suggestion.
blakepro likes this.
post #10545 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown View Post

Thanks. Besides Newsy, the only changes I saw were:

• Newsmax is getting a different channel number
  • CM gave up on Rivals, Stream Shift, Adult Swim, MiCasa, and Sky News. Adult Swim was the only one airing anything anyway.

Did I miss anything?
post #10546 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was not successful in loading the 124R firmware via USB Flash drive. I was able to get the system into recovery mode and it started to load the firmware file. It got the complete file loaded then system said update failed and aborted. It then started to load the file again. I went back and checked the flash drive for any other files and/or folders and there were none only the firmware file I wanted to upload.

I formatted the Flash drive Fat32 and used the default file allocation size. I also tried a different USB Flash drive with the same results.

FWIW, I also tried firmware 114R w/ the same results.

Was there something I might have overlooked. When I mounted the HD and rebooted the DVR+, it still shows I have 132R(0.5) installed; bootloader version 1035; downloaders version 104B-100B.

When I power off the DVR+, should I leave it w/o power for more than 10 minutes? I maybe only waited 20 seconds before I plugged in power and pressed the front button to initiate the recovery mode.

EKS
Darn!

1. Did you have a chance to try what MKS13 suggested, that is, other Flash Drive brands? That’s new to me, and definitely worth a try, especially if both Flash Drives that you’ve tried are the same brand.

2. Maybe the update files you tried are corrupt. I have my copy of 124R in my Hightail account, which you’re welcome to download and try.

3. Perhaps try the other USB Port.

4. I only wait about 10 to 15 seconds when I Cold Boot, and never have a problem.

Has anyone else attempted reverting to an older version from 132R? I will give it a try once I update to 132R, but I’m still at 124R for the time being. I sure hope that the developers have not destroyed our ability to revert to an earlier version should we not like the new version, or the new version is horribly buggy. IMHO, our having control is a great selling point.

Good Luck!
post #10547 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Today is the first time that the DVR+ automatically prompted to update to 132R (at least as far as I know). FWIW, I let the prompt sit there to see what would happen if I did not respond. After about 5 minutes the window closed, and 124R is still the version. So that’s what happens should we not be watching when the update prompt appears, at least for a while. Eventually we know that the update is forced, unless tr50.dishaccess.tv is blocked in the router.
post #10548 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Smile @%&$#! English

Quote:
Don't worry about it, mon ami! I'm a child of immigrants, and I was simply demonstrating how confusing and frustrating English can be -- even to an absolute expert such as myself. I would tell you what my father used to say about English in his own frustration, but I must not use that word here.

Just for fun, consider the following words; the same ending is pronounced differently in each word: COUGH, TOUGH, THOUGH, THROUGH, BOUGH -- No reason for confusion, yes?

Anyway, back to DVR+......@%&$#!
red02xj, jericko76 and Alainl12 like this.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; 01-16-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: To show off my 2 words of French
post #10549 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM

Location: Silicon Valley (Evergreen Foothills) - Found 16 transmitters within 50 miles of antenna location
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Darn!

1. Did you have a chance to try what MKS13 suggested, that is, other Flash Drive brands? That’s new to me, and definitely worth a try, especially if both Flash Drives that you’ve tried are the same brand.

2. Maybe the update files you tried are corrupt. I have my copy of 124R in my Hightail account, which you’re welcome to download and try.

3. Perhaps try the other USB Port.

4. I only wait about 10 to 15 seconds when I Cold Boot, and never have a problem.

Has anyone else attempted reverting to an older version from 132R? I will give it a try once I update to 132R, but I’m still at 124R for the time being. I sure hope that the developers have not destroyed our ability to revert to an earlier version should we not like the new version, or the new version is horribly buggy. IMHO, our having control is a great selling point.

Good Luck!
My two Flash drives are a (1) a sony brand and (2) a micro center brand. These are quite old but work w/ my Win 7 PC but just have limited storage.

I only have one USB port on my DVR+ model. That's where the HD is attached.

When I initiated the cold boot, (power on while pressing front button/release/press again), The DVR+ responded properly and found my Flash drive in the USB port. It presented the load screen and started to load the file from the USB Flash drive. It got to the end of the load, paused and then "aborted" the update and showed an Update Fail message and then proceeded to do the update again. It cycled through this routine 3 times then looked for an IP address connection to get the most recent update from the server. I manually aborted the load at this point.

I am not sure what the problem is but I did resolve my Slingbox issue. I prefer not to mess w/ any of the firmware files especially when they are automatically updated.

FWIW I think the 124R firmware file on the Flash drive was ok as I downloaded it twice from the drop-box link and also tried the 114R release too w/ the same results.

I too would like control but a better option might be to allow the owner to flash back to previous firmware from the settings menu. This may/could provide good trouble shooting information for the developer.

Slingbox allows end users to upload custom " .bin" configuration files used for specific device configurations. Probably not applicable for DVR+ owners. These " .bin" files sit on top of the firmware and/or are called by the firmware. Somehow when Slingbox did their latest firmware update, they corrupted some of these pre-canned " .bin" files so my workaround was to write my own for the DVR+. Everything now appears to work as before.

I am still testing and since both the devices (DVR+ & Slingbox 500/350) must work together, it is difficult to isolate problems especially when both devices do automatic firmware updates.

Too many users are impacted when a firmware update goes sour. In my case it was just a certain sub-class of users so none of the tech service reps even knew of the problem (especially Slingbox as it was eventually determined by me that it was a SB corrupt file).

My suggestion is only do Firmware updates for major changes (like once a year) and have some other way to do minor updates more often (then maybe roll into a major update). Also use some naming convention to show the date of the firmware release and/or complementary configuration " .bin" files. This way an end user can easily go back to the previous settings/configuration until the new release gets fixed.

EKS
post #10550 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

CM just updated the DVR+ Software Update web page. However, not anything that wasn’t already reported on this forum, and by someone on their own facebook page, in fact, not quite as much as those resources. Here’s what it says now:

• SlingTV on Channel 903 - Watch ESPN, ESPN2, AMC, CNN, History Channel and more.
  • Change color buttons while in the guide to function as they did prior to 124R.
  • Miscellaneous Minor Improvements.

Edit: And they just updated it again (about 15 minutes later):

• SlingTV on Channel 903 - Watch ESPN, ESPN2, AMC, CNN, History Channel and more.
  • The Remote four colored buttons have been restored when viewing DVR recordings: red = delete, green = search, yellow = sort, blue = change view (series/schedule/recordings).
jericko76 and Zonker007 like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 01-12-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: CM changed the page again.
post #10551 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
CM just updated the DVR+ Software Update web page. However, not anything that wasn’t already reported on this forum, and by someone on their own facebook page, in fact, not quite as much as those resources. Here’s what it says now:

• Change color buttons while in the guide to function as they did prior to 124R.

Edit: And they just updated it again (about 15 minutes later):

• The Remote four colored buttons have been restored when viewing DVR recordings: red = delete, green = search, yellow = sort, blue = change view (series/schedule/recordings).
I am amused that they just copy-pasted what I wrote in my original post #10371 regarding the second bullet point...
JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
post #10552 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am thinking about purchasing a Channel Master DVR+ and had a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone make a wall mount for the unit or has anyone here had success with a mounting solution? The reason I ask is we have a television in a room that is wall mounted with the unused DirecTV receiver mounted behind it. I would like to do something similar with the DVR+ if possible.

2. Should the DVR+ pass the WAF I would like to put them in two other rooms as well. If an external hard drive is attached can it be moved from the unit a recording was made on to another unit for viewing?

Currently we are using a Tablo and a combo of Amazon Fire TV's and Roku's to watch OTA and SlingTV. However this solution has proven to be less than ideal due to the slowness of channel switching, audio/video sync issues with recorded content, lack of 5.1 audio and strange playback of sports both live and recorded with the Tablo. It would be nice if Channel Master had a whole home solution, but at this point my main priority is finding something that works well and passes the WAF.

Thanks for your time.....
post #10553 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I am amused that they just copy-pasted what I wrote in my original post
please post that you'd like search to do more than just search titles, that it should save the last half dozen searches for easy recall, and that you'd like an ota channel-specific guide in addition to the big clump - maybe your posts work both ways and can get those things into the fw
post #10554 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The answer to #2 is yes.

On #1 , nobody makes a wall mount AFAIK, but the unit is pretty thin and not very large, and there's a remote IR sensor available. So it shouldn't be too tough to hide it out of sight somewhere.

Your situation might be a good reason to go with the more expensive 1TB model. You can still attach an external HDD to play recordings from another DVR+, or to make a recording to be played on another DVR+.

You can't move recordings between the internal and an external HDD though, so the choice is up to you.
post #10555 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The answer to #2 is yes.

On #1 , nobody makes a wall mount AFAIK, but the unit is pretty thin and not very large, and there's a remote IR sensor available. So it shouldn't be too tough to hide it out of sight somewhere.

Your situation might be a good reason to go with the more expensive 1TB model. You can still attach an external HDD to play recordings from another DVR+, or to make a recording to be played on another DVR+.

You can't move recordings between the internal and an external HDD though, so the choice is up to you.
Thanks. I'm sure I can rig up something, just wanted to see if anyone was aware of an existing product.

I'm thinking of going with the internal drive model for initial testing in that location. I would likely do the same in our bedroom should the unit work out for us. For the room where we do most of our TV watching I will probably do an external drive model and put a larger 2 or 3 tb drive on it as my wife has a tendency to horde recordings.

Thanks again!
post #10556 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am amused that they just copy-pasted what I wrote in my original post #10371 regarding the second bullet point...
Well, at least we know they're following the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
please post that you'd like search to do more than just search titles, that it should save the last half dozen searches for easy recall....
IOW, search should work like it did on the DTVPal/CM-7000Pal. Don't forget that you could enter letters via the Bell telephone convention too: pressing "2" repeatedly cycled through "2-A-B-C," etc.; which was way easier than trying to point-and-click one letter at a time
post #10557 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerburke View Post
I'm thinking of going with the internal drive model for initial testing in that location. I would likely do the same in our bedroom should the unit work out for us. For the room where we do most of our TV watching I will probably do an external drive model and put a larger 2 or 3 tb drive on it as my wife has a tendency to horde recordings.
Interestingly, we were just poking fun at our native language (English). I think you meant hoard, not horde!
post #10558 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, at least we know they're following the thread!
I hope so, but we can't be sure because someone posted what @dishrag2 wrote on the CM facebook page, and CM replied to that poster.
post #10559 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Interestingly, we were just poking fun at our native language (English). I think you meant hoard, not horde!
Yep...that would be it!

LOL!

One of these days I will learn not to try and make an intelligent post while in a meeting.
post #10560 of 12407 Old 01-12-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
My two Flash drives are a (1) a sony brand and (2) a micro center brand. These are quite old but work w/ my Win 7 PC but just have limited storage.

I only have one USB port on my DVR+ model. That's where the HD is attached.

When I initiated the cold boot, (power on while pressing front button/release/press again), The DVR+ responded properly and found my Flash drive in the USB port. It presented the load screen and started to load the file from the USB Flash drive. It got to the end of the load, paused and then "aborted" the update and showed an Update Fail message and then proceeded to do the update again. It cycled through this routine 3 times then looked for an IP address connection to get the most recent update from the server. I manually aborted the load at this point.

I am not sure what the problem is but I did resolve my Slingbox issue. I prefer not to mess w/ any of the firmware files especially when they are automatically updated.

FWIW I think the 124R firmware file on the Flash drive was ok as I downloaded it twice from the drop-box link and also tried the 114R release too w/ the same results.

I too would like control but a better option might be to allow the owner to flash back to previous firmware from the settings menu. This may/could provide good trouble shooting information for the developer.

Slingbox allows end users to upload custom " .bin" configuration files used for specific device configurations. Probably not applicable for DVR+ owners. These " .bin" files sit on top of the firmware and/or are called by the firmware. Somehow when Slingbox did their latest firmware update, they corrupted some of these pre-canned " .bin" files so my workaround was to write my own for the DVR+. Everything now appears to work as before.

I am still testing and since both the devices (DVR+ & Slingbox 500/350) must work together, it is difficult to isolate problems especially when both devices do automatic firmware updates.

Too many users are impacted when a firmware update goes sour. In my case it was just a certain sub-class of users so none of the tech service reps even knew of the problem (especially Slingbox as it was eventually determined by me that it was a SB corrupt file).

My suggestion is only do Firmware updates for major changes (like once a year) and have some other way to do minor updates more often (then maybe roll into a major update). Also use some naming convention to show the date of the firmware release and/or complementary configuration " .bin" files. This way an end user can easily go back to the previous settings/configuration until the new release gets fixed.

EKS
This might help with reverting firmware.
This is the procedure I use to do a maint restart. I found this on the forum somewhere.

1/ power cord out, then insert usb drive.

2/using 2 hands, hold front power button down while connecting power cord in back

3/front blue light flashes, red light comes on for a second. as soon as all lights out, let go of front power button and count 3 then push front button once

4/screen should go grey then show update in progress.

The DVR+ loads the software on the USB stick regardless of version.

If someone has a better method to get into maintenance mode please repost.

Also the usb flashdrive must be completely empty accept for the firmware file. If there is a malfunction in the process you have to clean the flashdrive and restore the firmware and start over again.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page