Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 355 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3542Likes

post #10621 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Something strange happened this night with the DVR+. There was a power outage this night. This morning, all my channels did not have audio. Only video and the playback wasn’t smooth at all. First, I thought it was a HDMI handshake issue. So I disconnected the hdmi cable, I switched HDMI input. Did not help. I checked on other HDMI devices, sound was OK. So, not my TV. Then I tried a cold boot. No luck still the same. So I did (again, second time in a week since version 132R) a reset to factory. This solved it.
So anybody experienced something similar on 132R or on past version?

Last edited by Alainl12; 01-15-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 860
I have a similar, but not quite the same problem, so it may be totally unrelated. I have one channel (KMPX/29) that never has sound when I tune to it. Cold & warm boots have not fixed this. Sometimes, changing the HDMI audio setting (from Stereo Only to Auto Stereo/Surround or vice versa) will fix it until I change channels, but not always. However, the simpler fix of pausing and resuming playback always works (until I change channels), even if I skip forward to live viewing again.

The station is a Spanish-language station but I don't have this problem with Univision or Telemundo, so I don't think the language is the issue.

This started after I'd been running 124R for a while, and continued after upgrading to 132R. I'll have to try my 115R DVR+ out and see if it's a problem with the newer firmware versions or something weird about the station's audio track.
post #10623 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
Another change since 132 upgrade: my bedroom DVR+ is on timer to turn off at midnight and come back on at 8pm.
Prior to 132, the unit would boot up and auto turn off/ standby (dim blue lamp).
Now the blue lamp is bright after power restores. Not a big deal, but another irritant.
I tried to confirm this last night by pulling & restoring power on my DVR+ at 132R.

I did not get the same result; after the boot screen, mine came back up to a dim blue LED. But surprisingly, the HDMI port was still active! The TV screen was black instead of its typical "no HDMI signal" blue.

Turning the DVR+ on, then back off, restored the expected "no HDMI signal" screen.

post #10624 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post
Why does the Sling TV app quit after an hour of playing? I have to relaunch it all the time. Any ideas?

Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I haven't tried it myself yet, but several others have reported the same problem. It seems overly susceptible to momentary Internet disruptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
Every once in awhile I will get a half second freeze and the progress bar pops up....that seems to be an internet thing almost like a buffering. What he is probably referring to is when everything is great and it just pops you out to OTA as in the app crashing and needing to be restarted.
Yes; I'm sure that's what he was referring to. Perhaps it's not an Internet disruption, based on your observations. Kent2174 had another idea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
And u may have noticed my tweet to CM about Sling channel reverting randomly to normal tv channel twice while watching CNN last night.

I think related / triggered by a scheduled program recording.
So I guess the jury is still out on precisely what triggers it.
post #10625 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
While I would love for each Sling TV channel to be integrated as a separate line in the DVR+ EPG, I understand that that would require a second Sling TV code base -- not just for Sling TV, but for each of the add-ons.
Sounds like one of my own lame excuses when I'm trying to get out of doing something I don't want to do! I can't imagine it'd require a second code base for the non-Sling add-ons. As I understand it, VuDu, Pandora, and YouTube are all totally on-demand and as such don't have "guides" in the sense that OTA, CMTV, and Sling do, so there's nothing to change there.

And the Sling app wouldn't be a complete rewrite either. Much of the code (for on-demand shows, connecting to the Sling server, verifying your account, decrypting, streaming, etc.) would be shared with the existing app.

It would require rewriting the UI to interface with the existing guide, but cry me a river. I'm a programmer myself and constantly have to present the same data differently because a user wants something "their way." Sometimes I joke that I must work for Burger King!
post #10626 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Cool Protect your 'Toys' !!!

With the weather we've been experiencing; I'm glad my important electronic devices are all on *inexpensive* Uninterruptible Power Supply's.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/bestselle..._b_bs_764572_1 (from $20.99)

*Inexpensive in comparison with possible damage and recovery without them.

It was a couple years ago after spending a small fortune in my 'Home Theater' that I went shopping for quality Surge Protection and discovered that the UPS (also provides surge protection) was only a 'few dollars more'. Granted, the less expensive varieties of them may only provide backup power long enough to complete a firmware flash or give you enough time to go through 'proper' shutdown of all your equipment, but I've yet to experience an interruption of more than a few seconds since Friday, August 13th, 2004.

That had been Hurricane Charley which gave us a few hours notice and few days without power but last Saturday there was a severe Tornado with a few seconds notice severely damaging 200 homes just a few miles away and many more hundreds left with no power for more than a day.

Momentary power interruptions and possible power 'spikes' are a 'fact-of-life' here and take place all-too-frequently not to have protection here in the 'Lightening Belt' across South Florida.
Art
artisticimaging likes this.
post #10627 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
It was a couple years ago after spending a small fortune in my 'Home Theater' that I went shopping for quality Surge Protection and discovered that the UPS (also provides surge protection) was only a 'few dollars more'.
I actually use a different device because of our power issues here; we routinely have "brown outs" where voltage drops and it was eating up Dish receivers at an alarming rate. I use APC's "Line Conditioners" such as the LE600 ... http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE600-Auto.../dp/B00009RA5Z ... or one of its bigger brothers (the LE1200 is protecting my desktop computer). They are expensive starting at about $45 but work really well.
pilotart likes this.
post #10628 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Sounds like one of my own lame excuses when I'm trying to get out of doing something I don't want to do! I can't imagine it'd require a second code base for the non-Sling add-ons. As I understand it, VuDu, Pandora, and YouTube are all totally on-demand and as such don't have "guides" in the sense that OTA, CMTV, and Sling do, so there's nothing to change there.

And the Sling app wouldn't be a complete rewrite either. Much of the code (for on-demand shows, connecting to the Sling server, verifying your account, decrypting, streaming, etc.) would be shared with the existing app.

It would require rewriting the UI to interface with the existing guide, but cry me a river. I'm a programmer myself and constantly have to present the same data differently because a user wants something "their way." Sometimes I joke that I must work for Burger King!
On Facebook they said something along the lines like it wouldn't be too hard BUT Sling dictates the interface which they basically use on all platforms. (I personally wish the Sling 'guide' was lighter and more like every cable/satellite/dvr+ guide with a grid pattern.
post #10629 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I actually use a different device because of our power issues here; we routinely have "brown outs" where voltage drops and it was eating up Dish receivers at an alarming rate. I use APC's "Line Conditioners" such as the LE600 ... http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE600-Auto.../dp/B00009RA5Z ... or one of its bigger brothers (the LE1200 is protecting my desktop computer). They are expensive starting at about $45 but work really well.
I have (two) APC550G with one protecting DVR+, XM, TV, Clock and WiFi Adapter that will keep them running about :15 minutes if power is out.

I see it does not provide the "Automatic Voltage Regulation" you're speaking of. It looks like you have the 'Top' review on the Amazon site from seven years ago on that unit.

I've not ever seen a "brown-out" here. We just get total power outages, but usually just for a second or so and that's enough to put my electronic devices into 'reboot' with loss of data and possible damage. There have been a few this morning as we are under NWS "Severe Thunderstorm Warning" and "Tornado Watch". With my UPS, the only thing I notice is the Sound reverts to TV Speakers, as my 'Surround Sound' system is only surge protected and a power interruption just trips it off.

I really feel bad about all those neighbors under "Blue Tarps" from Saturday's Tornado with the high winds this morning.

I see Amazon has my unit at more than $10 increase since my purchases,
but that's Amazon (from $87 down to $25)...

A possible alternate source might be:
http://www.upsforless.com/ They "refurbish" them with a new (replaceable) battery backup.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 01-15-2016 at 10:15 AM.
post #10630 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On Facebook they said something along the lines like it wouldn't be too hard BUT Sling dictates the interface which they basically use on all platforms. (I personally wish the Sling 'guide' was lighter and more like every cable/satellite/dvr+ guide with a grid pattern.
Wizwor did point out that Sling TV was owned by Dish, not E* (which owns Sling Media ). Obviously both companies are sharing the Sling brand name; nevertheless, I guess we have to live with it (for now).

For those of us who haven't signed up, I was wondering if you could post a screen-shot of the Sling guide so we can all see how it compares to the DVR+ guide?

BTW, there's a list of all channels carried by Sling TV at their Wikipedia page.
post #10631 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
BTW, there's a list of all channels carried by Sling TV at their Wikipedia page.
Nice! Thank you.
post #10632 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

For those of us who haven't signed up, I was wondering if you could post a screen-shot of the Sling guide so we can all see how it compares to the DVR+ guide?

There is no real guide. You can either scroll through what is on RIGHT NOW for all the channels, or you can scroll through the schedule for ONE channel. Also for the channels that offer on-demand programs, you can scroll through those (one channel at a time).

In this day and age of DVRs for cable/satellite/OTA, the inability to record upcoming shows makes me dissatisfied with Sling. I think the only way I'd be happy with it is if I were into sports - ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, plus the Sports Extra package has several.
post #10633 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
For live programming I would tend to agree with you, but now that so many of the channels offer VOD a grid doesn't make as much sense. For instance, how would you incorporate the movie on-demand selections on TCM that are not even on the live channel during the month?

And what if you add Showtime, Hulu, or HBO to your Sling lineup? I can see the logic of sticking with a standard interface that is not device specific.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #10634 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see! It's really more like the iView/Homeworx interface: With those you have a channel list, and you have a list of upcoming programs for whatever channel you're tuned to.

Sling's interface sounds better, but only slightly: you have a channel list, along with the current show on each channel, but not a true guide. So, even if it were integrated into the DVR+ guide, it'd probably look like the CMTV channels, not the OTA ones.

OTT providers like Sling are control freaks. So if we ever see the DVR+ add the ability to record OTT content, I'm sure it'll have to be locked down with DRM much as similar content for satellite & cable DVRs (including TiVo when used with a CableCARD) is today. That will probably take a lot of development before providers like Sling are satisfied the encryption can't be broken, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Heck - if I read the Wikipedia article correctly, Sling only lets you pause & rewind. They won't even let you fast-forward! God forbid you speed through a commercial!
post #10635 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
For live programming I would tend to agree with you, but now that so many of the channels offer VOD a grid doesn't make as much sense. For instance, how would you incorporate the movie on-demand selections on TCM that are not even on the live channel during the month?
Well, you wouldn't, of course. Any on-demand content would have to remain in the app as it is now. Only the live streaming channels could feasibly be integrated into a grid-style guide like the native DVR+ guide.

That said, there's no technical reason a grid-style guide couldn't be provided for the live channels. It could either show only the channels you subscribe to, or all channels, with the ones you don't subscribe to grayed out as a "tease" to entice you to subscribe; that's what Dish does with their satellite program guide.
post #10636 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Rosewill RNX-N250UBE N300 wifi adapter works with 132R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd-guy View Post
Non-Channel Master Wifi Adapters

This is a question for those who have made the update to 132R and use one of the TP Link adapters. Have you experienced any problem after making the system update? I am considering both the TL WN823N and the WN822N models so would like to hear from anyone using these devices.
Thanks in advance,
Howard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ in WA View Post
I use the TL-WN823N and it works perfectly, both before and after the update to 132R.
In case anyone is interested, I can confirm that this Rosewill adapter that I have been using on my DVR+ for quite awhile continues to work just fine after upgrading from 114R to 132R. I did have to re-enable the wireless network, however, since the update defaulted to wired. It did preserve the wifi security code, though, so all that was required was to enable wireless.

As always, a caveat with store-brand electronics (such as Rosewill) is the internal chipset may change over time, so there is no guarantee that the currently shipping product has the same chipset as the one I bought a couple of years ago. I originally bought it for my PC, and then moved it to my DVR+ after I upgraded my PCs to 802.11ac.
post #10637 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Test 5 (not yet done):

As a few have commented, the dangerous test would be to disconnect power after the download completes, and while the update is flashing EPROM. I haven’t worked up the nerve to test that!
Consider this ... the DVR+ needs the firmware to start up before it can get to the stage where you can reload the firmware to a working version -- past or current version. But if you cut the power in the middle of a firmware install, you will have NO working firmware to start your DVR+ and being unable to start your DVR+ you will have NO way to get back to any version.

Unless you are willing to risk a bricked DVR+, DO NOT DO TEST 5.

You go out of your way to run a lot of tests and try a multitude of experiments to answer all sorts of questions here -- and I am certain that every poster here appreciates all of your efforts. This particular test is not worth the risk of a bricked DVR+. That's my opinion.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #10638 of 14903 Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post
Consider this ... the DVR+ needs the firmware to start up before it can get to the stage where you can reload the firmware to a working version -- past or current version. But if you cut the power in the middle of a firmware install, you will have NO working firmware to start your DVR+ and being unable to start your DVR+ you will have NO way to get back to any version.

You go out of your way to run a lot of tests and try a multitude of experiments to answer all sorts of questions here -- and I am certain that every poster here appreciates all of your efforts. This particular test is not worth the risk of a bricked DVR+. That's my opinion.
Quite incorrect. I posted about the feature [post#10622], perhaps you miss my post:
- Modern FW has separate boot loader with "recovery" functionality. So, the DVR+.

The functionality is critical (I know that from first hands) , so making such experiment is not that dangerous - same as win jackpot ; I'm little bit uncertain in number of bugs (knowing e* sloppy coding), I would give 1:1000 chance to brick you DVR+.
pachinko and pilotart like this.

Last edited by P Smith; 01-15-2016 at 11:13 PM.
post #10639 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Cool internet to DVR+

It's certainly great to read @P Smith 's knowledge on "...Modern FW's... Boot Recovery...", but I would still go with @owburp 's advice on this one. Just ain't worth the risk. (@ 1,000 to 1 odds I'd play the lottery

On WiFi: I already had an AVR (Pioneer VSX-44 link in sig) that would not allow a USB 'dongle' plus having WiFi built into TV and BD in close proximity in a stack; and I didn't want to 'burden' my DVR+ with USB WiFi, so I went with this device:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o07_s00

To provide an Ethernet connection and then added this to provide a second Ethernet for the AVR (with two more potential connections available):
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o09_s00

I found this to work even better after separating my "WiFi Adapter" by the distance to the surround speakers from 'the stack' using this:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o03_s00

This way my DVR+ gets its internet by "wired" even though 'open' design of my home precludes any 'wire' back to my DSL service port. My AVR delivers its best possible audio from Pandora and Internet Radio (love that "Swiss Jazz" station).
Art
post #10640 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 81
There are some YouTube videos on the Sling TV interface. There is no way to get all of that into a grid design. This particular video is for Sling TV on the Roku; I don't know if the remote buttons work the same way on the CM remote.

zerowords likes this.
post #10641 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Thanks all for the advice on not performing Test 5! I too am a bit concerned, but at the same time very curious, and like P Smith says, unless e* did a poor job of it, it should not brick itself, buy like P Smith also says, it should be avoided.

I’m thinking that even if the programmers did a bad coding job when it comes to verifying an update completed and functions properly, I suspect the update would not affect the “Maintenance Reset” functionality, and that would un-brick the unit. Of course, that’s just my guess, or I would have already performed the test.

Someone I know has proposed this question to CM, and is awaiting a reply from them. I suspect their reply will be inadequate, perhaps something like it is not recommended, but I think we should know what happens when a power failure occurs during an update, especially when one is forced without regard to current weather conditions. Granted, a UPS would lessen the impact, but only if we make sure the batteries are in good condition. I have one that I only use for surge protection, as the batteries died years ago, and it does not indicate that the batteries are dead, so how would I know!
post #10642 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post

All competently written embedded firmware that allows the firmware to be updated accounts for a failure of the update at any point. It would be a major software engineering screw up if the DVR+ did NOT have a boot loader that is never overwritten that would take over and attempt to restart the update from the USB.
post #10643 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
There are some YouTube videos on the Sling TV interface. There is no way to get all of that into a grid design. This particular video is for Sling TV on the Roku; I don't know if the remote buttons work the same way on the CM remote.
Thanks for that video. Even though it's for Roku, I'm sure it's essentially identical on the DVR+.

BTW, I think you misunderstood what nmantas and I are looking for. I, for one, never expected the developers to force-fit all of Sling TV into a grid!

What I'd like to see is the Sling app basically as it is now, but with an additional "grid" menu option that would show a grid-style guide just for the live streaming channels. And in a perfect world, on the DVR+ that grid would be merged into its own grid.

In the real world, that may well be too much to ask; but from a technical standpoint at least, it's not infeasible.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-16-2016 at 12:11 PM.
post #10644 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
All competently written embedded firmware that allows the firmware to be updated accounts for a failure of the update at any point. It would be a major software engineering screw up if the DVR+ did NOT have a boot loader that is never overwritten that would take over and attempt to restart the update from the USB.
Agreed!
post #10645 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 03:23 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Agreed, BUT the key word there is COMPETENTLY. After some of the things I have seen posted I do not know that competently necessarily applies.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #10646 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Has even one DVR+ been bricked during an update or is this just mental masturbation?
JHBrandt and MKS13 like this.
post #10647 of 14903 Old 01-16-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Don't force me to call Freud !

The point is, if pachinko will execute Test#5 he's chances to failure are 0.1% or less;
BTW, the boot loader's segment of EEPROM protected in situ - you will need external programming devise to override it.

The recovery mode must support Internet and USB sources of FW images.
wizwor likes this.
post #10648 of 14903 Old 01-17-2016, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
1TB DVR+ Impressions from an ex-TivoHD owner

Just bought the 1TB DVR+ a week ago. Previously owned a TivoHD w/ Lifetime until it broke down (had a nice 8 year run) Here were some of my impressions, and some questions...

FORM FACTOR AND NOISE

Unboxed the DVR+. Loved the size of this thing. It was small enough that it can go on top of my credenza where the TV sits, instead of inside taking up a slot, and just blend right in. My old TivoHD must have been 12 times the size of this thing. It's also noticeably quieter than my now defunct TivoHD. The hard drive spins down eventually when not in use, unlike the TivoHD which was always on.

Powered it on, updated to latest firmware (132B) and scanned the channels. Right off the bat, the device tells me that it detected a drive fault, and that DVR functionality would be disabled. Formatting the drive fixed it and drive check cleared, but I'm not sure if the drive just came unformatted or if there really is a drive issue. The User Guide never mentioned the need to format the drive first. I'll wait and see if my unit is defective, but a little concerning.

TUNER

Unlike many people here, I had no problems with the tuner. I got 99 channels detected and only 1 channel with 4 subchannels got pixelation. I've yet to see a single pixelation on the channels I care about (ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, FOX, PBS SoCal). It seems to do just as well if not better than my Panasonic Plasma TV, and definitely better than my TivoHD which had a weaker tuner than my TV. The HD pictures were perfect, and the sound came through as Dolby Digital, as expected with no stutters. Note that I'm about 60 miles from the broadcast towers, using the Wineguard amplified indoor antenna (Costco) with the amplifier unplugged inside my house.

(As a side note, I did have to replace some of my Costco LED bulbs in my recess lighting fixtures when I realized they interfered with my TV signal. Once replaced, the lights being on no longer affected my signal and I'm a happy camper.)

I tried pressing LIVE, and noticed something I was interested in. So I paused it, did some stuff and came back, but then because I accidentally changed channels, I lost the ability to catch up. The TivoHD was smarter in that it would switch to the other tuner in this scenario so that you can switch between the two tuners and keep a live buffer for both. I guess this is just a situation where I need a different habit, which is to record something if I'm remotely interested in it.

REMOTE

It came with the Enhanced Remote, but the instructions were very light. I wanted to set it up for my Marantz sound system for volume and tried the instructions on how to set it up automatically where you hold the SELECT button until the sound system turned off. Well, it turned off immediately, but this is where it's a fail for the remote design and instructions. At this point, the DVR+ is on and the Sound system is off. When I pressed OFF side of the power button (which is another questionable design in itself, combining both the ON and OFF into a single button), the DVR+ turned off, but my sound system turned on. The volume button doesn't work. So I tried following the manual set up method, but the Marantz isn't in the list of codes, which is just a dozen numbers. The instructions said to go to their support site for the full user guide with exhaustive remote numbers, which I did, but the instructions were for the old remote and the codes were a different number of digits. There is nothing on their site that gave codes for the new remote, so I'm out of luck here. If anyone has ideas on how to get those codes, please let me know.

RECORDINGS

The first one-hour show it recorded showed a record time of 165:11:04 (165 hours). Other shows seem to have the correct length, but having the first show recorded with a jumbled time doesn't inspire confidence.

The other thing that is annoying coming from TivoHD was the fact that the Guide is very skim. I've been out of the TivoHD for half a year, so I've missed a bunch of episodes from this season and would like to catch up on the re-runs. Unfortunately the DVR+ only keeps the name of the show and a description. If you drill in on the page where you can rename the show, the description doesn't even display completely. I was hoping to be able to scroll down and see some additional guide info, but the detailed view is even worse in that you only see 3 lines and everything else is cut off with no way to scroll. The TivoHD had the name of the episode as well as the Season and Episode number, which makes it a lot easier to watch them in order and to figure out which ones were not from this season and can be deleted. I try not to look at the description which sometimes gives away too much, so I end up having to see when it was recorded, look it up on tvtango.com (titantv doesn't have enough history), then cross-reference it with something like imdb.com because sometimes there are no episode numbers. Seems like a lot of work until I catch up. For those of you who use the DVR+ often, how do you deal with this?

SLING TV APP

Signed up for SlingTV just to try it out, and unfortunately I signed up on their web site, so I only got a 7-day trial. I had no idea that you get 14 days trial if you signed up from DVR+, so for those of you who haven't tried it yet, make sure you sign up from the machine. The quality of the video seemed pretty good but there's no 5.1 Surround Audio which is a bummer. Since the trial period is free, I added most of the packages including HBO, and watched a movie, but I noticed the audio and the video sync were a little off. It was maybe quarter of a second, but enough to bug me. Also, there's no video recording, and while there are some videos on demand, they're fairly selective and they don't always work, and the biggest con of all: you can't fast forward some of them. The video plays as if it's a live stream. It's a painful experience. It's almost anti-DVR where you're forced to watch live TV and all commercials, and buy packages just like Dish but at a lesser price. This is opposite of where I want to be, which is all video-on-demand with Netflix/Amazon Prime prices supplemented by pre-recorded prime-time TV. This seems to be a SlingTV issue because even on my tablet, clicking the 30 second skip did nothing during a commercial, so the experience is pretty poor in my mind.

CLOSED CAPTION

Another thing that happened was Closed Caption seemed broken when I was playing the movie in Sling TV. It would cycle through 2-3 blocks of text in a span of 0.2 seconds. A reboot by holding down the power button on the actual unit for 5 seconds seemed to have fixed it, but I'm not confident that this won't just randomly happen again, except when it does, I might be recording something and am not in a situation where I can reboot so easily.

I really want to love this unit because of the size and how quiet it is, and the tuner seems to work pretty well with my antenna. However, I'm uncertain the hard drive won't break down in 2 months, and the lack of episode names and numbers might lead me to return it. I still have 3 more weeks of return period, so I will give this device a little more chance first.
pilotart likes this.
post #10649 of 14903 Old 01-17-2016, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

The like was for the Freud reference. The question was serious. I don't plan to remove power during a firmware installation to test the theory, but, despite the warning, I would not expect loss of power to permanently brick the DVR. Has anyone experienced this?
post #10650 of 14903 Old 01-17-2016, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
While it's too late this time, and just to make sure that you are aware, it is possible to block updates, without harming anything else, by blocking tr50.dishaccess.tv in your router.
is there a condensed guide on how to do this? having a hard time finding all the pertinent posts about it. my router doesn't seem to want to block it just by putting it in the 'block website' box. it's a linksys wrt54gl.

thanks.

Last edited by defed; 01-17-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page