post #1051 of 4924 Old 01-10-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

What HD do you have?

Were you able to make it start skipping and pausing, and if so, how?

Chuck

I'm using a um... Buffalo brand. Has anyone ever even heard of them? I thought I had a WD but I thought wrong.

To get it to work again I had to unplug the drive from the USB port. This causes the DVR+ to automatically restart.

Tonight, I turned it on and it worked fine, and it had properly recorded things overnight.

I will keep monitoring it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 4924 Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone able to comment on sensitive the tuner is?

My fiancee recently dumped cable because of a $40/month rate increase and went to an indoor antenna. The landlord won't let her put up an outdoor antenna, and she doesn't want to fight him about it. She gets dropouts quite often with the TV's digital tuner. Wondering if the tuner in the DVR+ might be more sensitive and be able to pick up a stronger signal than the TV's tuner?

Comments?

Thanks!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #1053 of 4924 Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's very good.

All I can compare it to at my current home is my DTVPal's, and the DVR+'s is a little stronger. Which is saying something since the DTVPal's was strong already.
post #1054 of 4924 Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg View Post

re: wireless router/access point

For those of you on the Newegg Shell Shocker email list - there is a cheap alternative for a wireless connection thru the ethernet port and powered by usb.

Upcoming Deal Starts At 03:00PM (PST)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833510006
$9.99
shipping cost unknown during sale period (right now it is free, and shoprunner is also available)

http://www.pqigroup.com/prod_in.aspx?mnuid=1286&modid=138&prodid=565
Well, I got this little gem today, hooked it to my PC, and wasted the entire evening trying to figure out how to configure it. It does seem capable of doing what we want, but both the firmware and the documentation (which you have to download from PQI's website) are awful.

Here's what I've figured out so far: when you first plug it in (to a USB port) it will create a WiFi network. You must start the configuration over that WiFi network - it will not respond to anything plugged into the Ethernet port. (I used a smart phone.)

Anyway, I connected to its WiFi network, then used my phone's web browser to access http://192.168.200.1, and got the quick setup guide. Unfortunately the quick setup assumes you want to use its WiFi network as an Internet gateway, but we want to reverse it - use the Ethernet port as a gateway to a WiFi network. So I clicked the Advanced Settings button instead. This opened up additional options, the first of which is Internet Settings. I clicked that and it expanded again, the first sub-option being Operation Mode. I clicked that (sigh) and finally something meaningful came up on the right. The default setting is "Gateway" but I think what we want is "Ethernet Converter," so I clicked that, then clicked Apply.

That action killed PQI's WiFi network, but I could finally hook up the Ethernet cable to my PC and bring up http://192.168.200.1 on my PC's browser. Next, I clicked Wireless Settings, which expanded to several more options.

The one I think we want next is Site Survey, which lists all the nearby WiFi networks, including my home network. I think I'm supposed to select my home WiFi network then click Add Profile. This brought up a dialog box where I could enter my home WiFi network settings (user, password, etc.) and save them. You can create two profiles to save settings for two networks, but most of us should only need one.

Finally, you can select a profile and click Connect. And that's where I'm stuck. When I do this, I get a red check mark on my profile, but I guess red is bad because I don't seem to actually connect. I tried everything I could think of but never could get it to connect to my WiFi network. frown.gif

I'll fight with it some more this weekend, but I think it was priced right at $10. I pity anyone who coughed up more.
post #1055 of 4924 Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Back to the topic...

The K77 got 100 GB SATA drive formatted, but after complaining about not available space, do recordings, strange bug. If use 120 GB - no warning message.

Reading second partition (first one is SWAP is metadata storage) I see only StrmHHHH.ts files (HHHH is hex-decimal sequential number); someone seen other type, but my drive has none of them.
Perhaps HHHH eq 0001 and 0002 assigned to 2 hrs buffers.
First partition hold similar to TR-50 files: recording history, a catalog of PIDs for each recording and a three [ StrmHHHH.log/.met/.tsf ] files per each recording. But a catalog.

Manual recording could be 12 hrs max.

Nice thing is when you create manual recording and it will overlap other schedule, it will show time of ending the other timer, so you could adjust your manual timer exactly.

I did manual schedule for two programs, will see how big TS files will be created; TR-50 using separate folder [named ~StrmHHHH] for each event and does split TSP file to 2 GB chunks [naming as StrmHHHHNN.tsp, where NN is 00-99 decimal number of the chunk].
-
EDIT:
- 12 hrs schedule stopped at midnight, perhaps a bug what is not allow continue writing manually scheduled event when new date started midnight or (second variant) the DVR reserving ~50 GB for itself if using HDD;
- 100 GB drive using this time, but cannot start recording anymore while free space on it is 47 GB;
- less then ~3.5 hrs recording took 18-20 GB space, created one TS file per recording;
- a bug: when I select 720p resolution for my Dell `905FP monitor, menu will show Auto next time and the resolution is set to 480p;
- a bug: I can't set 4:3 ratio for proper viewing on Dell monitor with 4:3 ratio with "best" Auto res 480p;
- no PgUp/PgDn for scroll EPG
- a bug:after reboot Dell monitor doesn't show anything reporting wrong signal (perhaps the DVR sent out 1080 ?), need cycle power to bring a picture
- DVR recording history (a catalog) stores on internal storage - you can see your recording from all your drives there, grayed if current drive does not have the events
- second USB drive doesn't using/discovering/seen by the DVR (the test was to connect 100 GB HDD what was previously used while other 500 GB has been connected to the DVR);
- navigation in EPG is not done yet - you cannot go to forward like TR-50 did, you don't have PageUp/Down for scrolling
- they lost menu's ergonomics: before there was shortcuts - choose by pressing a number
- max number of recordings is 1000, include two buffers
- each drive is keep own catalog of recordings
- a bug: after it does check for new FW, it will not return into Tech Info menu, but to life view
-
-
post #1056 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post

Anyone able to comment on sensitive the tuner is?

My fiancee recently dumped cable because of a $40/month rate increase and went to an indoor antenna. The landlord won't let her put up an outdoor antenna, and she doesn't want to fight him about it. She gets dropouts quite often with the TV's digital tuner. Wondering if the tuner in the DVR+ might be more sensitive and be able to pick up a stronger signal than the TV's tuner?

Comments?

Thanks!
The tuner is very good and will help in some circumstances. A better, well placed antenna will help more. For starters, you could attach the antenna to a portable tv (or a long coax) and move it around to see if there is a great place for the antenna. You might look at switching to an amplified set top antenna or adding an amplifier. If that doesn't help enough, you could get db2 or a db4...

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-DB2-Directional-Antenna/dp/B000EHUE7I
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-EASDTV2BUHF-Directv-Approved/dp/B000GIT002/ref=pd_sim_e_6
http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Signal-Xtreme-Definition-Antenna/dp/B00CWGTKNS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-DB2e-DB2E-Antenna/dp/B0074H3JCS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3
http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Signal-HDB4X-Definition-Antenna/dp/B00CX6QBIO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389443315&sr=1-3&keywords=db4
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-DB4e-DB4E-Antenna/dp/B0074H3IU6/ref=pd_sim_e_7

You might be able to hide one of these behind a window treatment in a source facing window.

If you have an unused room (attic), a DB8 or a 91xg could be installed out of sight.

If you haven't already checked out tvfool.com, run a report for the address to get an idea of what kind of reception you can expect, what kind of antenna you should use, and what direction you need to point it.
Primestar31 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1057 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post

I have gone in and deleted channels several different times and it has not frozen. It has never frozen on me, just occasional no response from the remote, and external drive issue mentioned above.

I unplug the Hard Drive, same problem.  There's no other options, the Only thing I can do is either Delete Channel or View Channel, there's no Option to Change to the Channel I wanted to Delete. 

post #1058 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 06:39 AM

Liked: 14
Someone mentioned that you could move files from the external HD to your computer. I tried and my laptop doesn't even recognize my Seagate external HD anymore. It did BEFORE I starting using it with the DVR+.
post #1059 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyNY View Post

Someone mentioned that you could move files from the external HD to your computer. I tried and my laptop doesn't even recognize my Seagate external HD anymore. It did BEFORE I starting using it with the DVR+.

The external drive is formatted to a Linux type of partition which can't be read by Windows unless you have ext2fsd (or similar) driver software installed.

post #1060 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Reading second partition (first one is SWAP) I see only StrmHHHH.ts files (HHHH is hex-decimal sequential number); someone seen other type, but my drive has none of them.
Perhaps HHHH eq 0001 and 0002 assigned to 2 hrs buffers.

That's interesting because on my 500 GB drive the first partition is definitely not a swap partition and it contains the tsf, met, and log files.  I'm sure those 3 other file types are required to be somewhere because otherwise it wouldn't know the program name or any of the other info about the ts files.  You are right, the HHHH is a standard, sequential hexadecimal number but I assume that some of those files are buffer files as well.

post #1061 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Early thoughts (just hooked mine up yesterday):

1. There seems to be no way to disable that awful default behavior to stretch certain 4:3 SD channels horizontally (it doesn't stretch them all, some it leaves 4:3, but some it stretches.) If you use the aspect ratio button to correct the problem, it doesn't stick: that is, if you change to another channel and change back to the 4:3 SD channel, it is stretched again! Curses - a really bad design. First of all, stretching (i.e. distorting) a 4:3 image should not be the default - the default behavior should be "leave my picture alone, just let me see it the way it was intended to be seen". Secondly, if they insist on providing such a mode, it should be user-selectable as a setting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can find no such setting.

2. I tried recording Jeopardy and Wheel Of Fortune, back to back as two different events. Afterwards, I disconnected the hard drive and used the "ffmpeg -i xxx.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy xxx-fixed.ts" method on both files. When I played them back (either with VLC or WMP), the Wheel Of Fortune file played fine, but...
The Jeopardy file plays without audio except for local commercials; the main program, network commercials, and local news flashes were silent. Two local commercials had audio. How to account for this strange behavior???

3. It would be nice if, when a playback ended, it would return to the list of recordings with the one-just-played still highlighted (so you can delete it without having to scroll to it again). But no, the top recording is highlighted, making it easy to delete the wrong recording if you're in a hurry.
post #1062 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

2. I tried recording Jeopardy and Wheel Of Fortune, back to back as two different events. Afterwards, I disconnected the hard drive and used the "ffmpeg -i xxx.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy xxx-fixed.ts" method on both files. When I played them back (either with VLC or WMP), the Wheel Of Fortune file played fine, but...
The Jeopardy file plays without audio except for local commercials; the main program, network commercials, and local news flashes were silent. Two local commercials had audio. How to account for this strange behavior???

I'm pretty sure that the one file that I fixed using ffmpeg was all DD 5.1 and there wasn't a problem with the audio.  JHBrandt who suggested that ffmpeg command to fix the file said "By default ffmpeg will only copy one video, one audio, and one subtitle stream" so I would assume that the problem you are experiencing could be fixed with some different options for ffmpeg but I will leave that to him or someone else to suggest.

post #1063 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
The Tablo is not a streamer it is an OTA DVR,,, either 2 tuner or 4 tuner.
That needs a video display with a Ethernet port that can accept audio/video material.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1064 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

That needs a video display with a Ethernet port that can accept audio/video material.
No it doesn't. It's a whole house DVR. If you are looking for a set top DVR, this is not what you want. Check out the DVR+ instead biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1065 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

That's interesting because on my 500 GB drive the first partition is definitely not a swap partition and it contains the tsf, met, and log files.  I'm sure those 3 other file types are required to be somewhere because otherwise it wouldn't know the program name or any of the other info about the ts files.  You are right, the HHHH is a standard, sequential hexadecimal number but I assume that some of those files are buffer files as well.
You're right - I correct my post above and added new info.
post #1066 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Greetings, I received my DVR+ last night.  I think Channel Master nearly hit a home run with this device for the intended market of cord cutters allergic to monthly fees.  The base device will be fine for the majority of customers who obviously are super sensitive on price.  The modular approach allows entry at a reasonable price point and the option of hard drive & wireless for a modest outlay of funds. 

If they add an upgraded model with 4 tuners I will definitely buy one for myself and pawn the current version off on a relative or to the guest bedroom. 

Hopefully they can refine the guide scheduling issues related to recording by name / season pass issues, but overall a very commendable product.  I am looking at buying two more units so my parents and wife's parents can cut the cord. 

post #1067 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Lets work on ironing bugs and help develop end-user features. We have enough ppl from PR and marketing depts here. wink.gif
post #1068 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM

Quick question, I bought the Costco Seagate 3TB Backup Plus model and it has a power cord.  It works fine, but did I make a mistake?  It sounds like I should have bought a model without power cord.  How critical is this?  Is it merely a suggestion?  Should I return it?  If so, what exactly should I have purchased?  Should it have been and "Extended hard drive"?  Sorry, my technical knowledge is not nearly to the level of many of the fine folks around here.

post #1069 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestobulldog View Post

Quick question, I bought the Costco Seagate 3TB Backup Plus model and it has a power cord.  It works fine, but did I make a mistake?  It sounds like I should have bought a model without power cord.  How critical is this?  Is it merely a suggestion?  Should I return it?  If so, what exactly should I have purchased?  Should it have been and "Extended hard drive"?  Sorry, my technical knowledge is not nearly to the level of many of the fine folks around here.
desktop HDD require external power adapter; if you'll use laptop [2.5"] HDD, then watch its a current consumption, if it's taking less then 500 mA (like mine 100 GB Seagate) then it will be OK to connect it to the DVR
post #1070 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post

I'm using a um... Buffalo brand. Has anyone ever even heard of them? I thought I had a WD but I thought wrong.

Buffalo makes enclousures (and has a decent rep, IIRC), somebody else (Seagate, WD, etc.) made the hard drive inside.

post #1071 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

If it's convenient to plug it in and the size isn't a problem, don't worry about it.  The price is right and it will hold a lot of shows.

Chuck

post #1072 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I thought cnet said this unit would be available on amazon as well. Wonder when that will happen.
post #1073 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

You DID NOT MAKE A MISTAKE! Your drive probably uses little power and costs pennies to run. Some people prefer the smaller form factor of the 2 1/2 inch drives which may also run off USB for power too. This is mostly personal preference, drives you have on hand, space available etc.. Be happy with your purchase!
post #1074 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Interesting, I'm about to pick up a couple of those drives this afternoon and didn't realize it was not USB powered, nowhere on the box could I find anything saying it required external power. That said like LenL said I think thats actually a plus for the DVR+. Externally powered means the drive won't suck power from the DVR allowing it to run cooler and possibly extending it's life. True it's not as convenient but I think in the long run your DVR+ will thank you for it.

Quick question I don't think has been answered, can one hook (2) USB HDDs to the DVR+ at the same time and switch between them? I guess if you were using the USB WiFi adapter this wouldn't be a option but even then with a small USB hub it may be possible, I know it is with my little iView but only certain hubs seem to work, others don't.

post #1075 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I did - see post#1055; I'm constantly updating it to avoid smudging new info and bug over the long thread
jjeff likes this.
post #1076 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
DVR recording history (a catalog) stores on internal storage - you can see your recording from all your drives there, grayed if current drive does not have the events
Now that is a huge plus. Anyone else see that?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1077 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Has anyone actually opened their case and looked inside a shipping production unit to see if the provisions are there for an internal 2.5 inch user installable hard drive to be used instead of an external usb hard drive?
videobruce likes this.
post #1078 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Interesting, I'm about to pick up a couple of those drives this afternoon and didn't realize it was not USB powered, nowhere on the box could I find anything saying it required external power.
2.5" HDD's are small enough to be USB powered and are generally 1 TB or less although there are a couple 2TB USB powered drives. As to which one you use it is all a question of the need for portability. If you will be taking the drive on and off the CM-7500 to transfer files then having to disconnect a wall wart at the same time gets to be a drudge. In that case, a 2.5" USB-3 drive would be perfect. If you don't plan on transferring recordings, you will generally get more capacity for the price with 3.5" wall powered drives. The 3TB drive will give you close to 500hr HD recording time. That is enough to collect and store 15-20 seasons worth of programs for later viewing.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1079 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

I did - see post#1055; I'm constantly updating it to avoid smudging new info and bug over the long thread
I wish you would start your own CM-7500 technical thread where you could control the content of the first couple posts and keep updating them. You could also add technical info that others post like the whole ffmpeg thing to fix the files. That way everyone knows to go to post 1 of your thread for the tech info and we have somewhere to send the people who come in and ask the same questions over and over because it's too hard to find anything.
pachinko likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1080 of 4924 Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

I did a Quick Stream Fix on the original file and all it reported was 4 video resync frames removed.  I previously tried to install Ext2Fsd on my Windows 8 system but it said that my version of Windows wasn't supported and wouldn't install.  Since I have other ways of getting files off an ext4 formatted drive, I didn't pursue it any farther.

I have found a way to install Ext2Fsd version 0.51 on a Windows 8.1 Pro PC, but since I have not yet ordered a DVR+ (been waiting for more info), I do NOT know if it actually plays well with the DVR+.  I hope someone can try this and give us a report.

As you, and perhaps others have noted, the Ext2Fsd installer says it will not install, but if installed using “Windows 7 Compatibility mode”, and “Run as Administrator”, it installs without issue.  The following is what I did:

Right click on the installer file Ext2Fsd-0.51.exe, 
click Properties,
click the Compatibility Tab,
check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for",
select Windows 7 from the pull down menu,
check the box "Run this program as an Administrator".

After the installation, I went into C:\Program Files\Ext2fsd installation folder, and did the same for the for all EXE files.  I don’t know if this is necessary, but that’s what I did.

I then ran the “Ext2 Volume Manager” (Ext2Mgr.exe), and it opened without issue (see pic below).

Linux Reader v1.9.1.0 (for Windows):

Based upon post 2440 by mbuchana, I installed DiskInternals Linux Reader v1.9.1.0 (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) in Windows 8.1 x64 and in Windows 8.1 Pro x32, and both seem to work correctly.  Unlike Ext2Fsd version 0.51 described above, I did not have to do anything special to get Linux Reader to install, even though the documentation only list Win95 through Vista as supported (no mention of Win7 or 8).  I still do not have a DVR+ in order to give it a proper test, but mbuchana reports the files on a DVR+ USB hard drive are accessible.  Thanks mbuchana!

Here's a screenshot:

Note:  in post #2668 (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2640#post_24483160) mbuchana posted the following update, speculating that DiskInternals Linux Reader, may not be working well with the DVR+ files.

Quote:

After switching from the Disk Internals Linux reader to Ext2Fsd and copying over the files again, I didn't get the above error when using ffmpeg. So, maybe the Linux reader doesn't work so well on Windows 8.1 after all. I didn't try it again to make sure, though.

Edited to add Linux Reader v1.9.1.0

Edited to add the "Note" below DiskInternals Linux Reader screenshot.

Aleron Ives likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page