Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2840Likes

Old 01-26-2016, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
[SIZE=2]
And this site constantly crashes my internet explorer 11? Just this and 1 other site do it. I have to write this stuff in word then copy-n-paste or I lose it every time and have to start over.
I used to get a lot of crashes on this site with both IE and Firefox. I switched to Chrome and no more problems.
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I had an interesting situation today. I turned the TV on with the remote - it worked fine. I tried turning the DVR+ on - it wouldn't turn on. Blue light was dim.Pulled the power and when it came back on red light worked, DVR+ splash screen through to gears turning and all. Blue light went dim. I tried to turn it on and and nothing. I tried the reset thing again and it turned on this time. DVR+ is still at 124R. Could this be a prelude to failure? Up until now absolutely no problems. Any one with any insight?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
When you select "manual recording" you get the screen that says "manual recording" up at the top followed by the date and time stuff.

If you use the UP arrow and go up to the words "manual recording" it will turn orange. Then press the enter button. That takes you to the screen where you can delete what it was going to name that recording, which is just "Manual Recording". You get the cursor down to the backwards facing arrow and start clicking. It removes the words "manual recording" one letter at a time. Then use the funky keyboard shown to rename it whatever you want. When done, select "done" and it goes back to the date and time stuff. Its kinda a pain, but makes it easier when you have a bunch of recordings to choose from.

If you select the "A" then need the "N" instead of going right one spot at a time to get to the "N", go left because it goes off page and ends up on the other side. Saves time.

do you know if you set a manual recording to 'repeat' (say every monday), does each one have the same, new, title?

for one time recordings, i wouldn't bother w/ the hassle of renaming....but for a 'series' it may be worth it to do it once for all future recordings of that time slot. suppose i can try it and see for myself.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 615
If you leave the name as "Manual Recording," it doesn't actually name the recording "Manual Recording." It creates a name from the day of the week (for a weekly manual recording), or "daily," "Mon-Fri," etc. (for a daily, Mon-Fri, etc. recording) and the start time and channel. So all the manual recordings from a given event will have the same name, but different events will have different names.

Back on 108R, IIRC it did name them all "Manual Recording" unless you changed it. This was one of the 114R improvements.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
I had an interesting situation today. I turned the TV on with the remote - it worked fine. I tried turning the DVR+ on - it wouldn't turn on. Blue light was dim.Pulled the power and when it came back on red light worked, DVR+ splash screen through to gears turning and all. Blue light went dim. I tried to turn it on and and nothing. I tried the reset thing again and it turned on this time. DVR+ is still at 124R. Could this be a prelude to failure? Up until now absolutely no problems. Any one with any insight?
Hopefully it just weak batteries in the remote control, or poor contacts. The TV may have got a good signal, but not so for the DVR+. How bright is the red light under the Power Button on the remote? If it's dim, it's batteries.

If you don't replace the batteries, or at least make better contacts, and it does this again, press the button on the DVR+'s front panel (don't hold it, press and release) to see if it turns on that way. If it does, then it's either the remote's batteries, the remote itself, the DVR+'s IR receiver, or something blocking the IR receiver.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Three issues this morning, all resolved

Issue #1 :

Using the DVR+, I deleted all recordings on a 3TB EHD, and then asked the DVR+ to reinitialize the disk. It failed, stating there was a fault on the disk (or something like that). I had the DVR+ check the disk, and it said if fixed everything. I requested the disk be reinitialized again, and got the same error message.

To fix it, I unplugged the EHD, cleared the message that it was disconnected, then reconnected the disk, and let it initialize the EHD. After that, all is well again with the EHD.

Issue #2 & #3:

After issue #1 , I noticed that a show, for a scheduled recording that I made earlier today, was not tagged in the Rovi Guide to be recorded. Then I noticed that almost all show slots, beginning tomorrow, contained “Unknown Event”. After refreshing the Rovi Guide, there were still lots of Unknown Events.

A Cold Boot, followed by refreshing the Rovi Guide again fixed the Guide issue, but did not tag the recordings for that particular show. I had to delete and recreate that recording schedule, and now the shows for it are tagged. Other schedules were okay and did not have to be recreated. Now all of the scheduled recordings are tagged correctly.

FYI, still running 124R.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I've noticed my Rovi guide only goes out to a week from Saturday, at 9AM. STB Health shows a [403] status on the last Rovi guide update.

That's still a week and a half; plenty of time for scheduling purposes, but I wonder why it hasn't successfully updated for the last three days or so?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I've noticed my Rovi guide only goes out to a week from Saturday, at 9AM. STB Health shows a [403] status on the last Rovi guide update.

That's still a week and a half; plenty of time for scheduling purposes, but I wonder why it hasn't successfully updated for the last three days or so?
FYI, my Rovi guide is fine, going out to February 10th. My Rovi Guide STB health is also 403.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:21 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Hopefully it just weak batteries in the remote control, or poor contacts. The TV may have got a good signal, but not so for the DVR+. How bright is the red light under the Power Button on the remote? If it's dim, it's batteries.

If you don't replace the batteries, or at least make better contacts, and it does this again, press the button on the DVR+'s front panel (don't hold it, press and release) to see if it turns on that way. If it does, then it's either the remote's batteries, the remote itself, the DVR+'s IR receiver, or something blocking the IR receiver.
Thank you for the suggestions. I can try these things the next time around. Currently it's behaving itself. In the meantime, I have ordered a spare DVR that is currently discounted and it's already on the way.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by DeOlMan; 01-27-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Typo repair
Old 01-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Mine is to 7:00pm Wed. Feb 10, so it's okay here, but I did have to Cold Boot and refresh the Rovi Guide as I reported earlier.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tried another guide refresh, and this time it worked! Status in STB Health is "OK" and it now goes out to early AM on 2/11. Third time's a charm, I guess.

BTW, I just tried a cold boot for the heck of it. On 132R, a cold boot does not force a guide download. STB Health still shows the time of the (successful) download from before the cold boot.
pachinko likes this.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am about to upgrade from dtvpal dvr. Too often it records without audio or records secondary audio programs in spanish or audio description for the blind (instead of primary audio channel). Does the DVR+ suffer from these issues as well? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiku View Post
I am about to upgrade from dtvpal dvr. Too often it records without audio or records secondary audio programs in spanish or audio description for the blind (instead of primary audio channel). Does the DVR+ suffer from these issues as well? Thanks.
Both models suffering from slight bugs what sort of accumulating in time (bad RAM management). So, regular cold reboot is the solution, once in a month or in a week if you found monthly was not sufficient.
pachinko likes this.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
I've never had any issues with sound on the DVR+.

Most of the issues with the current release seem to be relatively minor, but a lot of people seem to find things to gripe about anyway.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Alternate audio

Quote:
Hi Haiku. Your DTVPAL normally record every audio send with the video. The DTVPAL invert the normal sound and the alternate sound when both are available. To revert to normal audio you simply have to press SAP button once to display the information and a second time to change the audio.

darmand
dishrag2 likes this.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by defed View Post
on my magnavox, there is a 'jump ahead' and 'jump back button' (individually adjustable from 5 or more seconds), a fast forward/fast reverse and a button that is set to jump in 30 min increments.

on the dvr+, i see individually adjustable jump ahead/back and fast forward/reverse, but no 'jump 30 mins' button. is there such a thing that i can't find? i found that if i hit the center circle to the left/right while playing a recording, it jumps 1 minute, and fast forward 64x is not much faster....when i record 2 hrs and the 1st hr is a rerun, it takes forever to get past it. that 30 min jump button on the magnavox is really handy!
There is a way to ff/rw at roughly 128x: while you're scanning @ 64x, start pressing the right or left arrow repeadedly. It essentially combines 64x + 1-min jumps to be twice as fast as those individually.

Not sure why CM doesn't tell people about this, probably because it's weird. But it works and I use it regularly!

Yes the DVR+ definitely should have either 300x like the DTVPal or 30-min jump like your old unit.
wizwor, anant, pachinko and 1 others like this.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 AM

Question about tuner strength

Hi guys, basic question.
Being as the DVR+ has two tuners, does the tuner strength therefore suffer as if you were splitting your signal? I assume so, but does it happen all the time or only while you're using both tuners?
If it happens all the time, I wonder if that is the same behavior with other multi-tuner devices.

Anyway, I agree with an earlier poster that my DVR+ tuners seems to be pretty good--worse than the TV's internal tuner, but better than my DTVPal's (I've never used other OTA DVRs).
Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
First time posting and a new cord cutter. If I want to run digital OTA channels with an attic mounted HD antenna to an Epson 5020 projector via HDMI, this is a good box yes? Also, is the optical out a mini toslink connection? Thanks guys

-Kevin
Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector/GIK Acoustic room treatments
Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9
Marantz AV7702mkii pre-pro/Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp
Oppo BDP-105/Darbee Darblet
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds/twin RA Gamma 21s
Old 01-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
Hi guys, basic question.
Being as the DVR+ has two tuners, does the tuner strength therefore suffer as if you were splitting your signal? I assume so, but does it happen all the time or only while you're using both tuners?
If it happens all the time, I wonder if that is the same behavior with other multi-tuner devices.

Anyway, I agree with an earlier poster that my DVR+ tuners seems to be pretty good--worse than the TV's internal tuner, but better than my DTVPal's (I've never used other OTA DVRs).
Yes, the signal must be split inside the DVR+ to feed both tuners and it's always there. However, I hope they designed it using an active splitter to minimize the lost but I never opened my DVR+ to check it. Some manufacturers, like Macom, make ICs called “active splitter” and are available for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8 way splits.

Last edited by Alainl12; 01-28-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is a way to ff/rw at roughly 128x: while you're scanning @ 64x, start pressing the right or left arrow repeadedly. It essentially combines 64x + 1-min jumps to be twice as fast as those individually.
Nice trick dishrag2! While trying it out, I found that just holding the right or left buttons down worked even easier! To move from the start to the end of a 1 hour show takes 28 seconds. At 64x only, it takes 57 seconds (as expected).
anant and pilotart like this.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Here's what happens next after halting a forced update!

After halting a forced update (as I reported HERE), today, still running 124R, the DVR+ again popped up a message about an update being available. However, this time the message included the normal Confirm and Cancel buttons! It appears that the process of halting the forced update in its tracks reset a counter, and I suspect I’ll get a few more warnings before the update is again forced.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavar4 View Post
Being a recent TIVO owner I must say the DVR+ tuner is head and shoulders better that TIVO's tuner. I get almost no pixelization and 23 channels compared to the 21 channels I got from TIVO. Picture and colors are great. So far the only issue I have is the clunky UI, but hopefully that will get better with time and experience.
As a new Tivo owner as well, I agree with this statement. Not sure if it is because the Tivo is basically splitting the signal feed by 4 (VS the CM x2), but I can not pull in as many channels (mostly PBS stations from surrounding cities). Also, I have noticed more pixelization on channels that I had zero issue with while using the DVR+. After having both units, the Tivo is growing on me and I really like the 4 tuners and built in apps like Amazon Prime, but I would tell the average user to go with the DVR+ over the Tivo. Switching from a DirecTV DVR to the DVR+ was as simple as it gets and the wife needed minimal help. With the Tivo, there is quite a learning curve, and many of the default setting need to be changed/turned off to make it work like a traditional DVR. My wife says I have OCD, but the ads in the Tivo GUI do really bug me.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
....My wife says I have OCD, but the ads in the Tivo GUI do really bug me.
You got to be kidding. Who does Tivo think they are, a cable/satellite co. ? You pay for lifetime or monthly and you still have to look at ads? Holy Moley!

dmatch
Old 01-28-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
First time posting and a new cord cutter. If I want to run digital OTA channels with an attic mounted HD antenna to an Epson 5020 projector via HDMI, this is a good box yes? Also, is the optical out a mini toslink connection? Thanks guys
Can't be absolutely certain it's compatible with your projector until you try it, but odds are pretty good it will work just fine. In the unlikely event it doesn't work, you have 30 days to send it back for a refund.

The optical out is a mini toslink. (Amazon sells an adapter if your cable is the normal square toslink plug.)
Old 01-28-2016, 04:13 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Issue #1 :

Issue #2 & #3:

After issue #1 , I noticed that a show, for a scheduled recording that I made earlier today, was not tagged in the Rovi Guide to be recorded. Then I noticed that almost all show slots, beginning tomorrow, contained “Unknown Event”. After refreshing the Rovi Guide, there were still lots of Unknown Events.

A Cold Boot, followed by refreshing the Rovi Guide again fixed the Guide issue, but did not tag the recordings for that particular show. I had to delete and recreate that recording schedule, and now the shows for it are tagged. Other schedules were okay and did not have to be recreated. Now all of the scheduled recordings are tagged correctly.

FYI, still running 124R.

I started having this issue yesterday with one scheduled recording on our local ABC channel. My wife records "The Chew" and when she went to watch yesterday's show it wasn't there. After some searching I found that there was indeed a new episode but it didn't record. I then went in to my schedule and it showed 0 episodes of that show to be recorded even though for the next few weeks that show is new every day.

After reading the forum I looked and saw the 403 message on my guide data. I cold booted and that went away. However the schedule still shows no episodes to be recorded. I deleted the series recording and recreated it, still nothing. I then went out and looked and for tomorrow that slot in the guide says "To be announced." On the guide for next week the show is there in that slot, but it is still not showing to be recorded in the DVR schedule. I deleted and recreated the series recording a second time, still the same thing. No shows set to record.

I also noticed that on some of the sub channels for that ABC station there are several "unknown" or To be announced" in the guide over the weekend and early next week.

Something screwy is going on for sure
Old 01-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerburke View Post
I started having this issue yesterday with one scheduled recording on our local ABC channel. My wife records "The Chew" and when she went to watch yesterday's show it wasn't there. After some searching I found that there was indeed a new episode but it didn't record. I then went in to my schedule and it showed 0 episodes of that show to be recorded even though for the next few weeks that show is new every day.

After reading the forum I looked and saw the 403 message on my guide data. I cold booted and that went away. However the schedule still shows no episodes to be recorded. I deleted the series recording and recreated it, still nothing. I then went out and looked and for tomorrow that slot in the guide says "To be announced." On the guide for next week the show is there in that slot, but it is still not showing to be recorded in the DVR schedule. I deleted and recreated the series recording a second time, still the same thing. No shows set to record. This kind of thing happened a couple of months ago, and I think it just went away on it's own. Maybe a Rovi issue?

I also noticed that on some of the sub channels for that ABC station there are several "unknown" or To be announced" in the guide over the weekend and early next week.

Something screwy is going on for sure
Yeah, I think something is screwy too! Yesterday the Last Rovi Update indicated "OK", now it's [404] after an automatic 12:28am update this morning. I just performed a manual Rovi update. While updating the code was [001]. When complete the code returned to [404]. The Guide looks okay, at least what I viewed, and the scheduled recordings are tagged for recording.

Did you manually refresh the Rovi Guide after the Cold Boot? If not, try that, then delete and recreate the recording schedule for the problem show(s).

What version are you running? I'm running 124R.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Nice trick dishrag2! While trying it out, I found that just holding the right or left buttons down worked even easier! To move from the start to the end of a 1 hour show takes 28 seconds. At 64x only, it takes 57 seconds (as expected).
Ah! Could've sworn I couldn't hold them down in the past... new "enhancement"?
pachinko likes this.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Ah! Could've sworn I couldn't hold them down in the past... new "enhancement"?
i'll try it next time i watch something. i can hold my arrow down while not in FF, and it jumps 1 min at a time, continuously (still seems sooooo slow). never thought to try it in FF.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:07 PM

Sap

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmand View Post
Hi Haiku. Your DTVPAL normally record every audio send with the video. The DTVPAL invert the normal sound and the alternate sound when both are available. To revert to normal audio you simply have to press SAP button once to display the information and a second time to change the audio.

darmand
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my stock remote stopped working. I have a programmable remote that I am using, but there is no SAP button, probably not mapped to anything.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Both models suffering from slight bugs what sort of accumulating in time (bad RAM management). So, regular cold reboot is the solution, once in a month or in a week if you found monthly was not sufficient.
I usually end up doing cold reboot periodically because of different issues that seem to pop up from time to time. I might try doing a reboot every day for a time to see how well this solves my switched up audio problems. Maybe I will hold off on the upgrade for a little while.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k