post #1081 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Has anyone actually opened their case and looked inside a shipping production unit to see if the provisions are there for an internal 2.5 inch user installable hard drive to be used instead of an external usb hard drive?
Good luck getting someone to open the damn thing up. I couldn't. rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 450
@ pachinko

Well done. At last the Windows compatibility mode feature is useful for something.
post #1083 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Good luck getting someone to open the damn thing up. I couldn't. rolleyes.gif
see my posts above ...
need more pictures ?
post #1084 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Above where?? confused.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1085 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

1009 & 1055
post #1086 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman View Post

I thought cnet said this unit would be available on amazon as well. Wonder when that will happen.
I was told the first phase of distribution would be through Channel Master only. They are concerned with initial quality control and correcting any bugs or glitches before widespread distribution. It may eventually be sold at Fry's stores as they currently carry Channel Master products and have sold the previous 2 models, the CM-7000Pal and the CM-7400.
post #1087 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post

I have found a way to install Ext2Fsd version 0.51 on a Windows 8.1 Pro PC, but since I have not yet ordered a DVR+ (been waiting for more info), I do NOT know if it actually plays well with the DVR+.  I hope someone can try this and give us a report.

As you, and perhaps others have noted, the Ext2Fsd installer says it will not install, but if installed using “Windows 7 Compatibility mode”, and “Run as Administrator”, it installs without issue.  The following is what I did:

Thanks for mentioning this.  Yes, I did the same with my Windows 8 system shortly after I wrote that post.  It works fine for getting the files off of the DVR+ drive.

post #1088 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have ordered a new DVR+. I did this because I got an error code on my old DVR 7000 PAL frown.gif . I got error code: A647 which shows to be a fatal Hard Drive error. Does any one know if the hard drive can be replaced? Can a novice do it if so, or would it be advantageous to have it serviced somewhere? If anyone could direct me to this info, I would be most appreciative... Thanks...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #1089 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

I have ordered a new DVR+. I did this because I got an error code on my old DVR 7000 PAL frown.gif . I got error code: A647 which shows to be a fatal Hard Drive error. Does any one know if the hard drive can be replaced? Can a novice do it if so, or would it be advantageous to have it serviced somewhere? If anyone could direct me to this info, I would be most appreciative... Thanks...
we shouldn't go off-topic, but ... there are two dedicated threads: DTVpalDVR and CM-7kpal DVR; first one has extensive knowledge how to open it, what HDD could be installed, etc
post #1090 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I thank you for the link... And now, back to our regular scheduled programming... wink.gif

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #1091 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow! eek.gif I was planning on purchasing one of the usb wifi adapters yes 39.99 is steep but was going to purchase it any way until I saw what the ups ground charge was going to be, an added 15.66 charge.

Geeze they should at least send it minus the shipping for someone who has purchased the dvr+ unit It should have been included in it any way

and also I am seeing an odd problem every once in a while while watching a program or two on the unit......i can be watching say channel 58 shut it off bring it back up channel 58 is still there as expected but say change to channel 2 and it stays on 58 until you turn it back off and on again and then it will change channels properly ?
post #1092 of 6576 Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

You DID NOT MAKE A MISTAKE! Your drive probably uses little power and costs pennies to run. Some people prefer the smaller form factor of the 2 1/2 inch drives which may also run off USB for power too. This is mostly personal preference, drives you have on hand, space available etc.. Be happy with your purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Interesting, I'm about to pick up a couple of those drives this afternoon and didn't realize it was not USB powered, nowhere on the box could I find anything saying it required external power. That said like LenL said I think thats actually a plus for the DVR+. Externally powered means the drive won't suck power from the DVR allowing it to run cooler and possibly extending it's life. True it's not as convenient but I think in the long run your DVR+ will thank you for it.

Quick question I don't think has been answered, can one hook (2) USB HDDs to the DVR+ at the same time and switch between them? I guess if you were using the USB WiFi adapter this wouldn't be a option but even then with a small USB hub it may be possible, I know it is with my little iView but only certain hubs seem to work, others don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

2.5" HDD's are small enough to be USB powered and are generally 1 TB or less although there are a couple 2TB USB powered drives. As to which one you use it is all a question of the need for portability. If you will be taking the drive on and off the CM-7500 to transfer files then having to disconnect a wall wart at the same time gets to be a drudge. In that case, a 2.5" USB-3 drive would be perfect. If you don't plan on transferring recordings, you will generally get more capacity for the price with 3.5" wall powered drives. The 3TB drive will give you close to 500hr HD recording time. That is enough to collect and store 15-20 seasons worth of programs for later viewing.

Thank you to each of you three for your response in simple, easily understood wording.  I have plenty of power outlets, I will hide the Seagate behind the TV and I am good.  Sounds like a good hard drive for the money and Costco has good return policy.  I feel much better about my purchase after the information shared.  

As to the portability insight, my 3TB Seagate is heavier than It looks.  Think of it about the weight of a brick.  Technically portable, but not necessarily comfortably portable. 

FYI - if anyone is curious, it will not lose recordings if you disconnect from the DVR +.  I was a little concerned about "initialization" after reconnection, but thankfully that does not mean reformatting.     

post #1093 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

1009 & 1055
1055 has none & you just added those to 1009. Problem is, the flash reflection ruins most and there are way too small to see. You can't use a flash on that stuff (unless it isn't on the camera ). It's almost impossible to eliminate the reflection(s). I tried opening them up in another window, but what you uploaded was set to small. Choose the largest size of the three, or just add them as attachments with no reduction in size,
I use a overhead magnifying lamp and a separate table lamp. Not ideal, but I can usually get rid of most of the reflections (if I shoot enough of the same subject).

post #1094 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Wow! I was planning on purchasing one of the usb wifi adapters yes 39.99 is steep but was going to purchase it any way until I saw what the ups ground charge was going to be, an added 15.66 charge.
That would buy you a 1,000' roll of CAT5. wink.gif

post #1095 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

I'm pretty sure that the one file that I fixed using ffmpeg was all DD 5.1 and there wasn't a problem with the audio.  JHBrandt who suggested that ffmpeg command to fix the file said "By default ffmpeg will only copy one video, one audio, and one subtitle stream" so I would assume that the problem you are experiencing could be fixed with some different options for ffmpeg but I will leave that to him or someone else to suggest.
Well, two things I found out:

1. If you invoke ffmpeg this way: "ffmpeg -i InputFileName -map 0 -c copy OutputFileName", it will copy all streams. However, there is still a problem (see 2).

2. Both the Wheel Of Fortune show and the Jeopardy show I recorded as a test have two audio streams; both are ac3/dts and both have the same number of samples. I presume one is supposedly the English track and one the Spanish (but typically, shows here are broadcast with both tracks in English). The problem is that one track is silent most of the time, while the other has full audio. When the lowest numbered audio PID is the silent one, both VLC and WMP default to playing that one, thus silence. My Blu-ray player, OTOH, seems to select the track with full audio regardless of how the PIDs are numbered. In the case of Wheel Of Fortune, the lowest numbered PID is also the one with full audio, and in the case of Jeopardy, it is the one with audio only during local commercials. I can get VLC to play the sound on Jeopardy (all steams copied as above) by changing its audio track to Track 2. I can also get it to play sound on Jeopardy by default if I use "ffmpeg -i input-file-name -map 0:3 -map 0:2 -map 0:1 -c copy output-file-name", effectively reversing PIDs 256 (the silent one) and 258 (the non-silent one).

Anybody know a way around this (put the main audio channel first, regardless of how the streams are numbered)?
post #1096 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

1055 has none & you just added those to 1009. Problem is, the flash reflection ruins most and there are way too small to see. You can't use a flash on that stuff (unless it isn't on the camera ). It's almost impossible to eliminate the reflection(s). I tried opening them up in another window, but what you uploaded was set to small. Choose the largest size of the three, or just add them as attachments with no reduction in size,
I use a overhead magnifying lamp and a separate table lamp. Not ideal, but I can usually get rid of most of the reflections (if I shoot enough of the same subject).

I don't think the flash ruins them.  You can certainly see the general layout of the board.

One easy way to eliminate the flash is to take them outside and shoot them in the shade if it's sunny, or on an overcast day.  Or in a window -- I shoot stuff like that on the floor in front of my patio door.

Chuck

post #1097 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, I'll attach the pictures in full resolution (2000x1500), but I'll skip the criticizing as sort of twisted appreciation what would be reasonably expected. We are not on photographer's forum after all.
post #1098 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 AM

Liked: 11

I want to sync another tv in an adjacent room so I can use the dvr with that one also. I know the same thing will be on both tv's.

One way I'm thinking is an ir extender and and HDMI splitter. Will that work or is there a better way?

post #1099 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that is a huge plus. Anyone else see that?
it was my wrong conclusion, that time I saw recording history what included info from other drive;
but real recordings does shows only from currently connected drive as its catalog (recording_event_index file) reside inside first partition of the HDD
post #1100 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebw22 View Post

I want to sync another tv in an adjacent room so I can use the dvr with that one also. I know the same thing will be on both tv's.

One way I'm thinking is an ir extender and and HDMI splitter. Will that work or is there a better way?

You may want to hold off a few months.  Refer to the first post in this thread, just past the pictures of the remote and dated January 9, 2014:

"Channel Master is developing a whole-home DVR solution for cord cutters"

post #1101 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
shows only from currently connected drive as its catalog (recording_event_index file) reside inside first partition of the HDD
Isn't that the way the DTVPal did it? It would of been nice if it would store that data on-board for more than one drive with some way of ID'ing each drive.

post #1102 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, same way
but they moved out of K77's HDD that file where history stored before
post #1103 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

Thanks for mentioning this.  Yes, I did the same with my Windows 8 system shortly after I wrote that post.  It works fine for getting the files off of the DVR+ drive.

Thanks DD24!  I'm very happy to hear that Ext2Fsd, in Win8, is allowing the DVR+ video files to be brought to Win8.  That puts me one step closer to placing an order.

post #1104 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Anybody know a way around this (put the main audio channel first, regardless of how the streams are numbered)?

Why not just remove the stream that has no useful content? If you really want to keep both, the easier way would probably be to extract all the streams individually and then remux them into a new container. You could create a new TS or use something like Matroska, which also supports having multiple Dolby Digital tracks.
post #1105 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

pretty easy: get HexEditor/WinHex program. open the file, find PMT and swap the PID numbers
post #1106 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

I tried recording Jeopardy and Wheel Of Fortune, back to back as two different events. Afterwards, I disconnected the hard drive and used the "ffmpeg -i xxx.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy xxx-fixed.ts" method on both files. When I played them back (either with VLC or WMP), the Wheel Of Fortune file played fine, but...
The Jeopardy file plays without audio except for local commercials; the main program, network commercials, and local news flashes were silent. Two local commercials had audio. How to account for this strange behavior???
I've seen similar issues with ffmpeg before. Its default behavior is to copy only the "best" video and audio streams. But if a station broadcasts two audio streams of the same quality (e.g., both DD 2.0), it just picks the first one, not necessarily the English one (Ion's Qubo, for instance, often broadcasts audio in both English and Spanish.)

My guess is that Jeopardy! was recorded with two audio streams, and the first one was (supposedly) Spanish; unfortunately several programs either provide no audio or English audio for the "Spanish" stream. In this case, it sounds like the network content had no audio and the local content had English audio on the "Spanish" track.

If this happens, you need a couple more ffmpeg parameters: ffmpeg -i xxx.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map 0:v -map 0:a:1 xxx-fixed.ts

The first -map tells ffmpeg to copy all video streams (presumably there's only one) from the first input file; the second -map tells it to copy the second audio stream from the first input file..

(Little-known fact: we computer geeks have only nine fingers; thus we like to start numbering things at zero rather than one. Thus, the digit zero refers to the first input file, and the digit 1 refers to the second audio stream rolleyes.gif )

You'll probably have to use that variation often on that particular station.

P.S. I just learned from a previous post that you can use "-c copy" instead of "-vcodec copy -acodec copy." Saves a little typing.

P.P.S. It occurs to me you could create a Windows batch file (or Linux shell script) with one line like this:

ffmpeg -i "%1.ts" -c copy -map 0:v -map 0:a:%3 "%2.ts"

Call it fixdvd+.bat; then you don't have to remember the complete command. Just type

fixdvd+ g:strmABCD "e:Get Smart-S01E01" 0

to read strmABCD.ts from the G: drive and write Get Smart-S01E01.ts to the E: drive with the first audio stream. Change the 0 to 1 to use the second audio stream, etc.
post #1107 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here's a good resource for the options to ffmpeg: http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html.
ccrider2 likes this.
post #1108 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebw22 View Post

It'll work but it's going to be tricky sending HDMI all the way to another room. HDMI wasn't meant for such distances. (See? THIS is why the DVR+ should have additional outputs besides HDMI & Toslink).

There are HDMI/Ethernet converters that will extend the range of HDMI, but they can be expensive, and I think you'd need a dedicated Cat5 cable (not part of your in-home PC network).

If SD is OK on the "remote" TV, you could use and HDMI splitter along with the HDMI/Composite adapter mentioned many posts ago, an RF modulator, and ordinary coaxial cable to send the A/V to the other room. If you want to get tricky, you could even combine the analog signal from your RF modulator with the digital signals from your antenna, so you could tune your remote TV to analog channel 3 (or whatever channel your RF modulator uses) to watch the DVR+.
post #1109 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
JHBrandt, I pretty much figured out how to use -map with ffmpeg, and I understand that eventually you can get a good file out. But since the audio streams are virtually indistinguishable from the outside, you need to make one pass assuming the first audio stream is the right one, and if that turns out to have silence, you need to make a second pass selecting the second audio stream. In the case of my two programs, recorded back to back from the same station, the good audio was in the second stream for Jeopardy, but the first stream for Wheel Of Fortune that immediately followed. I don't know whether it is the station or the DVR+ that is picking those PIDs, but there is no consistency. My Blue Ray player (which can stream mpg or ts files from my NAS) mysteriously picks the good audio stream regardless of whether it is first or second; I have no clue how it does that.
post #1110 of 6576 Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

damn FW .... frown.gif
switching between two HDD require to reboot three or four or five times:
first one happen after you removed HDD, second when you connect it, third/forth/fifth when you see same message about EHD and pressing Continue it going to reboot, urgh
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page