Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 38 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 777Likes

post #1111 of 7473 Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I suspect the Blu-Ray player (and probably the DVR+ itself) is picking the stream flagged as English. Unfortunately most media players don't offer a language selection option frown.gif

You can find the English track with ffmpeg but it requires two passes:
  1. ffmpeg -v info -i Strmxxxx.ts
  2. the ffmpeg command you've been using
Step 1 just lists the streams in the input file. (You'll get an error saying "at least one output file must be specified, but you can ignore it.) You're looking for something like this:

Stream #0:1[0x101](eng): Audio: ac3 ([129][0][0][0] / 0x0081), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s

Each audio stream will produce a similar line of output. In this case, the English stream is the second stream in the first file (Stream #0:1; don't forget it starts numbering at zero); so you know to -map 0:1 to pick up the English audio stream.

In theory one could write a program to automatically run ffmpeg, find the English audio stream in the listing, then run it again with appropriate -map parameters. Writing such a program is a bit beyond the scope of this thread; but there may be one out there somewhere already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 7473 Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Quote:
Wow! I was planning on purchasing one of the usb wifi adapters yes 39.99 is steep but was going to purchase it any way until I saw what the ups ground charge was going to be, an added 15.66 charge.
That would buy you a 1,000' roll of CAT5. wink.gif
Yes, that's the point; if it'll cost you upwards of $50 to go WiFi, it's probably worth the trouble to run cable instead. But if the WiFi option were reasonably priced (or built in) it would be a lot more attractive. WiFi would let you locate the DVR+ wherever you want, not necessarily near a Cat5 outlet, or with unsightly cable stapled to your walls, or running along your floor waiting for you to trip over it.
post #1113 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

You're looking for something like this:

Stream #0:1[0x101](eng): Audio: ac3 ([129][0][0][0] / 0x0081), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s

Each audio stream will produce a similar line of output. In this case, the English stream is the second stream in the first file (Stream #0:1; don't forget it starts numbering at zero); so you know to -map 0:1 to pick up the English audio stream.
Well, I tried the "ffmpeg -v info -i Strm0007.ts" and in my case it gave no hint of the language. Both audio streams were listed identically:

Stream #0:0[0x35]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 Kbps
Stream #0:1[0x31]: Video ...
Stream #0:2[0x34]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 Kbps

There is no "eng" or anything to mark the main stream, they appear identical. In this case, it is Stream #0:2 that contains the good audio. Perhaps the number in the square brackets is a clue (in both my files, the lower numbered audio stream is the good one); maybe I'll run with that and see how it works out.
post #1114 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

Yes, that's the point; if it'll cost you upwards of $50 to go WiFi, it's probably worth the trouble to run cable instead. But if the WiFi option were reasonably priced (or built in) it would be a lot more attractive. WiFi would let you locate the DVR+ wherever you want, not necessarily near a Cat5 outlet, or with unsightly cable stapled to your walls, or running along your floor waiting for you to trip over it.
Powerline adapters are a good choice. Wireless is unreliable and sometimes running a cable is just not possible. I use PLA's all around my house. They provide a stable network connection and enough bandwidth to stream full bitrate BluRays. If you are like me and have multiple devices in your rack that want a network connection (DVR, SmartTV, game console, BD player, media streamer, etc.) you just plug the PLA into a network switch with the rest of your devices and you have networked a whole rack with a hard-wire.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1115 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Care to recommend a set of PLA's (I assume one would need two) that cost less then CM's WiFi solution?
post #1116 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I would suggest that anyone considering purchasing the new DVR+ to please wait.

I intend to post Channel Masters reply to me here in this forum.

Either I've been shipped a "lemon" or this product has some very serious software bugs.

My Adventure with the New Channel Master DVR+.....

I placed an order for a DVR+ through the website on 12-19-2013.

My order was for.....

CM-7500GB16  DVR+
CM- 7500XWF  Wireless USB Adapter

Please Note: The software version installed on my DVR+ is 101R (0.5).

I received the order on 1-9-2014 via UPS Ground. The shipping box was fine. No damage anywhere.

Before I tell you about the problems with my DVR+, I need to explain my background. I have worked in the Electronics Industry for 35+ years with most of that in Product Development. I test software and hardware during new Product Development.

The 1st issue is that very soon after the DVR+ connects to the Internet (either by a Wired or Wireless connection), the DVR+ displays the message "DVR Disabled". The message then states "Your DVR has no storage space remaining. All DVR functions have been disabled. Please delete some recordings to free up storage space." The DVR+ is completely unusable at this point.

This erroneous message has occurred every time an Internet connection has been made. It occurred before any recording were even attempted. I have performed multiple "Factory Resets". Nothing solves this issue. It happens regardless of using just the internal memory or an external 1 TB drive.

The 2nd issue concerns the ability to change channels if the channel signal is not stable. It is nearly impossible at times with my unit to change to a different (stronger) channel if the present channel signal is unstable.

I called Channel Master on 1-10-2014 and left a message asking to be contacted. Nobody has called me back.

I would appreciate a phone call ASAP from the Channel Master person in charge of the DVR+ Engineering or Quality.

I submitted a Channel Master "Support Request" with pictures attached of screen shots.

I'm waiting to hear from them.

Regards,

EngTech

post #1117 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Quote:

You're looking for something like this:

Well, I tried the "ffmpeg -v info -i Strm0007.ts" and in my case it gave no hint of the language. Both audio streams were listed identically:

Stream #0:0[0x35]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 Kbps
Stream #0:1[0x31]: Video ...
Stream #0:2[0x34]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 Kbps

There is no "eng" or anything to mark the main stream, they appear identical. In this case, it is Stream #0:2 that contains the good audio. Perhaps the number in the square brackets is a clue (in both my files, the lower numbered audio stream is the good one); maybe I'll run with that and see how it works out.
Well that sucks. Apparently the DVR+ doesn't save the language metadata either (at least not in the .ts file itself; it may save it in one of those files in the other partition).

That thing in square brackets is the packet ID. Usually 0x3? is used for the first subchannel, 0x4? for the second, etc. (It's actually two bytes, so there's room for more than 13 subchannels.) But there are exceptions; it depends on the station. (Presumably the DVR+ .ts files only include the particular subchannel you recorded, so you wouldn't see a mix of 0x3? and 0x4? PIDs in a single .ts file from the DVR+.)

Perhaps your Blu-Ray player is choosing the lowest PID instead of the lowest stream ID for audio? I checked a few random DFW stations on RabbitEars and it appears 0x?1 is generally the video PID and 0x?4 is generally the first (main?) audio PID. I guess if you look at several and the 0x?4 PID is always the main audio track (i.e., the English track on English-language stations, or the Spanish track on Spanish stations), you could go by that.

BTW, ffmpeg could really use some new parameters to select streams by language, PID, etc. One shouldn't have to print the list first, then decide which streams to map.
post #1118 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngTech View Post

I would suggest that anyone considering purchasing the new DVR+ to please wait.
I intend to post Channel Masters reply to me here in this forum.

Either I've been shipped a "lemon" or this product has some very serious software bugs.

If you read about the experiences of other CM-7500 users in the posts preceding yours, you will see that your experience appears to be singular. Sounds like you either got a lemon box or something has gone very wrong with your setup of the DVR.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1119 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you read about the experiences of other CM-7500 users in the posts preceding yours, you will see that your experience appears to be singular. Sounds like you either got a lemon box or something has gone very wrong with your setup of the DVR. For testing purposes, any way you could use a long ethernet cable from your router to the CM-7500 and dispense with the wireless connection.

He said it failed with a wired connection.

Are other folks successful in switching off an unstable channel?

Chuck

post #1120 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks. Care to recommend a set of PLA's (I assume one would need two) that cost less then CM's WiFi solution?
If you search for powerline adapters in Amazon you can find several for under $40. I know nothing about them, I use Netgear AV500's which run ~$80/pr.

- kelson h

post #1121 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

He said it failed with a wired connection.
Yes, I missed that

- kelson h

post #1122 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Another option, if you can wait a bit (jury-rig an Ethernet cable?), would be wait until Amazon picks up the DVR+.  The price will probably be lower and it will probably qualify for free shipping.   Or even better until somebody identifys a generic adapter with the same chip set for, say $20 (and maybe free shipping if you have some other stuff to order).

Chuck, still waiting for DVR+ shipment.

Edit: WOW, talk about quick results.  Flipped back to my e-mail, and there was the ship notice.  Ordered 12/30/2013, Order number 31600, current state "label printed".  Scheduled delivery 1/15.

post #1123 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 AM

The initial setup of the DVR+ just takes a few automated steps (Language, Time Zone, Zip Code, Channel Scan....)

The Network setup (Wired or Wireless) is a separate page in the Menu after initial setup is performed.

Nothing would indicate anything has "gone wrong" with any of the setup procedures.

I've done the initial setup process more than a dozen times....all successfully.

In addition...I've performed the "Factory Reset" (multiple times) from the Menu in hopes of solving this Networking issue. No luck.

It's doing the Network connection that cripples the unit.

And yes...as I mentioned before, I used both a Wired and Wireless connection. Same problem.

I'd like to hear from anybody who has a DVR+ successfully connected to the Internet (actually pulling down extra guide info or using Vudu)

What software version does your unit have?

I have to ask.....Kelson and Chuck Tribolet...do you actually OWN the DVR+ ?

If so.....is it Internet connected and working as expected ? Your units software version?

Regards,

EngTech

post #1124 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngTech View Post

It's doing the Network connection that cripples the unit.
And yes...as I mentioned before, I used both a Wired and Wireless connection. Same problem.

I'd like to hear from anybody who has a DVR+ successfully connected to the Internet (actually pulling down extra guide info or using Vudu)
What software version does your unit have?

I have to ask.....Kelson and Chuck Tribolet...do you actually OWN the DVR+ ?
If so.....is it Internet connected and working as expected ? Your units software version?

I don't own a DVR+.

But I do have a question, based on the fact that others have not (seemingly) had your experience with the network connection.
Do you use static IP addresses in your network, or dynamic (DHCP)?
I ask because most people use DHCP, and most appear to not have an issue with the DVR+.
Personally, I use static addresses in my network. I'm wondering if maybe you do too, and maybe if that is the difference?
Just a thought . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #1125 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM

Liked: 14
Well, I don't know what went wrong with guide info. Guide was working OK at first, but now everything is all mixed up. NBC now has the same guide info as FOX. I'm getting "Unknown Event" as guide info for ABC. The Rovi logo is missing. I checked Network Setup to see if there's an internet connection. Internet Connectivity is ON, but internet STATUS says "Disconnected." I did a factory reset, but it didn't fix anything.
post #1126 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Chuck. That's a reasonable suggestion. I'm not in a big hurry to buy my DVR+; I just want to be ready to hook it to the Internet when I do. (Still, I hope folks are trying out other possible alternatives, including differently-branded WiFi adapters built around the same chip set as CM's. There was a discussion about that earlier, but it seemed to die before any candidate adapters were tested.)

One thing about power line adapters: I doubt they (at least the cheaper ones) will cross phases. A typical house has two phases of 120V power, and there may not be much rhyme or reason with respect to which outlet is wired to which phase. If you plug your power line adapters into outlets wired to two different phases, they probably won't work. If that happens, try moving one adapter to another outlet if possible.
post #1127 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM

I just took a look at STB Health and it says "Unable to retrieve data" next to Last Rovi Update.
post #1128 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've had mine connected via hardwire since before Christmas. I've had no issues with guide retrieval. My software version is the 101R. My address was assigned dynamically.
post #1129 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Mine is also connected via hardwire and it won't connect to the internet. I just tried to visit Vudu and received this message: "No network connection detected, please check your network connection settings." My laptop, smartphone and desktop have access to the internet so I know it's not my internet connection.
post #1130 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

I've had mine connected via hardwire since before Christmas. I've had no issues with guide retrieval. My software version is the 101R. My address was assigned dynamically.
All DVR+ has same FW version 101R, same as CM site carry now.

My box (actually PCB) connected to Internet via 1000 MB/s switch and DSL modem, using DHCP - so far no issue here.
While I'm getting multiple in a row similar messages what force to reboot the DVR when I'm do swap HDDs.
Didn't check switching from low signal channels, but I know what are they - I did test of recordings from all my channels, so I got a history where the bad channels recordings failed by the reason.
post #1131 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One thing about power line adapters: I doubt they (at least the cheaper ones) will cross phases.
They do. Both the AV200 and AV500 models cross phases. It slows the connection down a bit but I still get enough bandwidth to stream BluRay rips across phases.

- kelson h

post #1132 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 PM

My network is DHCP

Update...

I called in again to Channel Master this morning and got a live person (Steven) in Tier 1 Technical Support

He told me they've heard of similar reports of what I'm experiencing.

He quizzed me about my Internet Provider (I'm on Frontier DSL / a Westell 7500). The DVR+ connectivity is via an ASUS RT-AC68R

No immediate solution. He's passing my info on to people looking into it.

In the mean time....he wants me to try it again (an Internet connection) but to not touch the remote or the DVR+ for another 20 minutes.

He (Steven) told me to ignore any messages and give it 20 minutes. He thinks this might have resolved the issue with 1 customer.

By default, the DVR+ expects a Wired connection (automatic). I'll simply plug in the Ethernet cable and walk away for 20 minutes.

I'll try this when I get home from work.

Stay tuned.

Regards,

EngTech

post #1133 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

One thing about power line adapters: I doubt they (at least the cheaper ones) will cross phases.
They do. Both the AV200 and AV500 models cross phases. It slows the connection down a bit but I still get enough bandwidth to stream BluRay rips across phases.
In that case I'll go ahead and order a set of AV200's and see how they do.
post #1134 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM

I suspect the internet connection problems multiple people are having today will turn out to be on the other end (e.g. Rovi).

Chuck

post #1135 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

I suspect the internet connection problems multiple people are having today will turn out to be on the other end (e.g. Rovi).

Chuck

You are probably right. I hate Monday.

post #1136 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 138
The 3TB Seagate HDD recommended by Channel Master (STCA3000101) is now on sale (quantities limited) from eBay/buydig for $99 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321297310889

post #1137 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! That's only 3.3 cents per gigabyte biggrin.gif
post #1138 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

The 3TB Seagate HDD recommended by Channel Master (STCA3000101) is now on sale (quantities limited) from eBay/buydig for $99 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321297310889

I saw that also, it's the same one currently available at Costco for the same price, I grabbed 3 the other day :) 

post #1139 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

If you find the DVR+ remote too cumbersome, you could always pick up a Dish 20.1 learning remote and teach it to operate the DVR+. It has very nearly the same layout as the DTVPal remote (although a bit heftier) and is usually under $10 at Amazon.

Edit: There may be one flaw with that idea. The Dish 20.1 remote has three sets of "up/down" buttons: 1. Volume up/down; 2. Combined channel and cursor up/down; 3. Page up/down. IIRC the DVR+ remote has four sets, as the channel up/down and cursor up/down buttons are separate on the DVR+ remote. So the Dish 20.1 remote may be short a few buttons.
I programmed a Dish 20.1 remote to operate my DVR+ and am very happy with the result. The Dish remote has 45 (non-TV) buttons, while the DVR+ remote has 43 (non-TV) buttons, so no functionality is lost. I programmed the Dish remote for AUX mode. Here is the mapping I used (I've put an * next to the non-obvious ones):
Code:
Dish Remote Button        DVR+ Button
------------------        -----------
 Menu                     Menu
 Input                    Input
 Power                    Power
 Page+                    Page+
 Page-                    Page-
 Guide                    Guide
 Up                       Up
 Down                     Down
 Left                     Left
 Right                    Right
 Select                   OK
*Recall                   Home
 Info                     Info
*Search                   GREEN
*View Live TV             Exit
*Cancel                   Back
 RED                      RED
*GREEN                    Aspect Ratio
 YELLOW                   YELLOW
 BLUE                     BLUE
 DVR                      DVR
 Skip Back <-             Skip Back <-
 Skip Forward ->          Skip Forward ->
 Rewind <<                Rewind <<
 Fast Forward >>          Fast Forward >>
 Pause ||                 Pause ||
 Stop []                  Stop []
 Record O                 Record O
 Play >                   Play >
 1                        1
 2                        2
 3                        3
 4                        4
 5                        5
 6                        6
 7                        7
 8                        8
 9                        9
 0                        0
*#                        CH+
*SWAP                     Audio
*PIP                      CC
*POSITION                 Aspect Ratio (Duplicate)
*Dish                     CH-

Note that I used one of the extra 2 keys to duplicate the Aspect Ratio button because it looks like I'll need to be fiddling with that until CM gets the word that distorted should not be the default. I used the other extra key (Input) to provide the TV Input select function, just as the original DVR+ remote. Also, I used the "Dish" key and the "#" key (directly above and below each other) to perform the missing Channel+/Channel- functions mentioned by JHBrandt above.

Obviously, you can choose some different variation, but at least it is capable of replacing the stock DVR+ remote, and feels better/sturdier in the hand and easier to find things (especially if you've used it before for the DTVPal.)

UPDATE: The above mapping has been modified from the original by changing the mapping of the Dish remote "Input" and "*" buttons. The "*" button looks enough like the "." to serve that function (and besides, it's in the right place)
post #1140 of 7473 Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've haven't read the entire thread, but had an 'easy' question.
I understand that you can't pause live TV, but can you begin a recording, and then start playing the recording before the show is finished? Need for sports.
Thanks
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart