Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3080Likes
post #11791 of 13375 Old 04-21-2016, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
The disk will not show up in Windows Explorer, or any other file manager because Windows does not assign drive letters to disks formatted for Linux (which the DVR+ uses). If you do not care about the files on the disk, and all you want to do is format it for Windows (which will assign drive letters after formatting), than just use the Windows Disk Management tool. It will see the disk, and all you have to do is delete the 2 partitions on the DVR+ disk, then reformat the way you would like.

If you want to access the files on the DVR+ disk before you format it for Windows, you'll have to install a program like Ext2Fsd. That program will assign drive letters to the Linux formatted disk (you may have to manually assign the letters), and Windows Explorer will see those drive letters.
Thanks pachinko!
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 13375 Old 04-21-2016, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
Thanks in advance for any/all responses (even snarky ones, I suppose).
Is it possible you think this thread is about the CM-7000? Perhaps you can get help here: Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal
post #11793 of 13375 Old 04-21-2016, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Is it possible you think this thread is about the CM-7000? Perhaps you can get help here: Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal
Yah...guess I really wasn't paying as close attention as I should have been - thanks for the (kindly) redirect!
post #11794 of 13375 Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
Hi all -- This is my first post in this particular forum, though I've been semi-active for many years in the Standard-def DVR and local HDTV fora for the 2 TV markets from which I can receive broadcast stations (Austin + Waco/Temple/Killeen Texas). I've used a CM-7000 Pal as my primary DVR since the digital switchover, and while it has idiosyncracies the performance has generally been okay. However, it's begun to exhibit too many symptoms which (from reading through many of the excellent posts here) strongly indicate both a failing HDD as well as bulging caps (possibly issues with the tuner/demodulator chip as well). I have a good friend with much electronics experience who I'll actually get to do the internal repairs on this unit at some point, but am curious about the HDD options. The 2.5" WD10JUCT + bracket option is what I'm likely to go with, but having just installed a new SSD into my desktop in replacing the failed OEM HDD (then recovering the OS and drive contents from a backup image), I've wondered if that were a potential hardware option for the CM-7000 Pal.

My query to the forum wizards is simple, since I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the previous posts (and absolutely detest the search engine on this site as it's really immune to a narrowed focus and returns hits like a short-barreled shotgun with no choke) -- has anyone successfully installed a SSD into the CM-7000 chassis in lieu of the standard rotating-platter HDD option, and if so, were there particular selection considerations involved, or possibly setup tweaks or settings to the drive in advance that were required prior to the install?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses (even snarky ones, I suppose).
There is a CM-7000 thread, but it's not very active. So I'm going to answer your questions here in the DTVPal thread. (The DTVPal and CM-7000Pal are virtually identical.) Give me a few to answer, then click through!
post #11795 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read back around 40 pages or so and saw several comments about the tuner not working very well. I am having this problem... when using the tuner in my TVs (one older and one newer) I get all channels in near perfect... but with this DVR+ I have four channels (plus their sub channels) that struggle and are basically unwatchable. Too bad as I otherwise love this device.

I am also having a problem where all the internet channels vanished. I was not able to disable the account or refresh the channels, etc. This morning it told me they are disabled, but wont let me activate. My online account was giving errors yesterday and doesn't exist today. I am guessing this is a database error on their servers that can be fixed tomorrow when support opens back up... Anyone else had this problem?

I received a PM, but do not have enough posts to be able to reply... realized that after I typed it up.. so I am going to post it here in small print...

I have the Clear Stream 2V on my roof... I am in 29568 zip code... I have channels to the south near Myrtle Beach, some to the west near Florence and Dillon, and the rest to the north in Wilmington. I have the antenna pointed toward Wilmington as those are the hardest channels to get. That is what is making the Florence/Dillon channels harder to get. This current set up gives me all channels in the area on the TVs and the best mix on the DVR (at least one of each network clear)... I want to get on the roof to spin the antenna around and play with it but I can't figure out a safe way to get up there right now.

I have a GE preamp that I tried in my living room and also tried moving it upstream outside (it is an indoor amp, so this was a temporary tryout).. Also tried removing the amp (and things got worse, so the amp is clearly helping)...

I have a few splitters in use -- but I eliminated them all to see if that would fix the issues -- it didn't. I have the amp in line before any splits so that is likely minimizing any splits. I do have it set up with the first split right now being one into the DVR+ and any splits on the other half of the split -- still getting good reception on the two TVs that are being split again (that is the only two splits)...

The channels that are giving me problems right now on the DVR+ is: 15, 21, 32, and 43... I would probably give up and be happy right now -- but 43 has shows that 26 doesan't (Big Bang at 7PM for example) and 21 has CWplus --- Wilmington only has CW...

I do have another preamp on order from Amazon to try playing with that (it is a bit stronger)... If I could figure out a way to get up to the antenna I might have a better chance of tuning things in better...

Thanks for your PM and for listening to mine!

Last edited by totalfarkuser; 04-24-2016 at 12:01 PM.
post #11796 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalfarkuser View Post
I read back around 40 pages or so and saw several comments about the tuner not working very well. I am having this problem... when using the tuner in my TVs (one older and one newer) I get all channels in near perfect... but with this DVR+ I have four channels (plus their sub channels) that struggle and are basically unwatchable. Too bad as I otherwise love this device.

I am also having a problem where all the internet channels vanished. I was not able to disable the account or refresh the channels, etc. This morning it told me they are disabled, but wont let me activate. My online account was giving errors yesterday and doesn't exist today. I am guessing this is a database error on their servers that can be fixed tomorrow when support opens back up... Anyone else had this problem?
Yes, my internet channels vanished also, my online account is invalid,& my unit gives me error messages ,unable to get rovi update time & unable to get update time for internet channels.
post #11797 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dove View Post
Yes, my internet channels vanished also, my online account is invalid,& my unit gives me error messages ,unable to get rovi update time & unable to get update time for internet channels.
dvr+ last night had message internet channels disabled and i needed to go to a website, which i haven't done yet.
post #11798 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Ahh, so it might be systemwide then -- the missing internet channels anyways.
post #11799 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Same thing for me. Might have something to do with the CM site crashing recently. Saw that on their FB page. Their databases might be corrupted.
r3r3r likes this.
post #11800 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Three requests for feedback:

I just returned from one week out of town and last night turned on my relatively new DVR+ to see what had recorded.

1) As I was watching the live SNL tribute to Prince, the audio disappeared. I cannot get it to return: not on recorded or live shows. I tried moving the cable to a different HDMI input on my TV but no audio. Of course my other HDMI inputs still have audio.

2) My internet channels disappeared and when attempting to reinstall them the Activation Code screen goes away after about one second. I see others are also having this problem.

3) Where can I find instructions to program the DVR+ remote (standard model) so that it can control the TV volume?

Thanks!
post #11801 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was able to watch CNN on main tv today.
Have not tried the bedroom tv since last night when it was not available.
post #11802 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
I was able to watch CNN on main tv today.
That's on Sling, though; right? We're talking about the CMTV channels 201-699.

CMTV just disappeared for me too. It was there earlier today; I guess everyone's losing them when their DVR+ does its daily update

I hope it's just another screw-up on CM's end that will be fixed tomorrow or Tuesday; not them giving up on CMTV entirely.
r3r3r likes this.
post #11803 of 13375 Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

3) Where can I find instructions to program the DVR+ remote (standard model) so that it can control the TV volume?

Thanks!
This one I can help with. Download the DVR+ Quick Start Guide here: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...tart_Guide.pdf

It has the programming codes for the original remote.

BTW, it looks like the User's Guide now has codes for the new remote, so they may change the Quick Start Guide over to the new remote soon. If you still use the original remote, grab the Quick Start Guide before they have a chance to change it!
wizwor likes this.
post #11804 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Please forgive this cross-posting, but it may save you money.

To anyone who subscribed to the new Sling TV beta feed:

Watch out!

Check your channel list to see if you have both the Fox channels and ESPN in your list. If so, that means you are subscribed to *both* Best of Everything feeds and will be billed an additional $20. Apparently Sling has a bug in their software that reinstates canceled feeds. This happened to me this week, and it happened before when I canceled the HBO feed. It was 3 months before I discovered that error.

You should have either the Fox channels or the Disney/EPSN channels in your list, not *both*! (Unless, of course, you want to pay for both.)

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #11805 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
Apparently Sling has a bug in their software that reinstates canceled feeds.
From their standpoint, that's probably a "feature"
post #11806 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

2) My internet channels disappeared and when attempting to reinstall them the Activation Code screen goes away after about one second. I see others are also having this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_ajb View Post
Same thing for me. Might have something to do with the CM site crashing recently. Saw that on their FB page. Their databases might be corrupted.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
CMTV just disappeared for me too. It was there earlier today; I guess everyone's losing them when their DVR+ does its daily update

I hope it's just another screw-up on CM's end that will be fixed tomorrow or Tuesday; not them giving up on CMTV entirely.
Yep, me 2 (CMTV internet channels gone, no way to update - screen flicks off after about 1 sec). I thought it might be because I have the update URLs blocked at the router - but it seems like everyone is having this problem.
post #11807 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 372
About 35 minutes ago, CM posted the following on their facebook page:

Quote:
Issues are resolved and Channel Master TV is functioning normally. Please let us know if you still have any issues. Thanks for your patience!
post #11808 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This one I can help with. Download the DVR+ Quick Start Guide here: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...tart_Guide.pdf

BTW, it looks like the User's Guide now has codes for the new remote, so they may change the Quick Start Guide over to the new remote soon. If you still use the original remote, grab the Quick Start Guide before they have a chance to change it!
That is already the Quick Start Guide for the upgraded remote, but I found the instructions for the original remote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgIEEDdHnyw

Also, pulling out the power cord and reinserting it fixed the no audio issue.

And today, I was able to go online and reactivate my Internet channels.

Last edited by MichaelLAX; 04-25-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #11809 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Can someone please explain the rationale for needing an activation code for CM TV when we are using a DVR+ which is a CM device, with CM firmware. At the very least the code should be built into the firmware.

I can't think of a reason why it should not connect seamlessly without the use of an activation if you chose to have it operational on your DVR+.

Perhaps over complicating things is why we have to wait 5-6 months for a firmware update to correct many errors!
post #11810 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Current DVR+ Guides

You can download the current DVR+ User Guide, Quick Start Guice, and Product Sheet PDFs, featuring the "Enhanced" remote control, CMTV, SlingTV, etc. from: HERE, or HERE (the PDFs are identical from either page). Scroll down to just above the Customer Reviews.

Download the current Quick Start Guide for the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" Remote Control from: HERE. Scroll down to just above the Customer Reviews.

The original "flat" remote control does not appear in these guides.
post #11811 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have never used the YouTube app on my DVR+. and last night un-hid it and signed it. Tried several times to watch a 10 minute Game of Thrones recap and after a minute or so it would just exit back to live TV. I am not sure if this is abnormal behavior for the YT app, but if not it is completely unusable.
post #11812 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I used it when it first came out (114R?) and it worked fine. It was a bit clunky to use, but it worked.

I'll check it again tonight; it's possible the same error we have with Sling is affecting YouTube.
jericko76 likes this.
post #11813 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
That is already the Quick Start Guide for the upgraded remote....
Looks like the original remote to me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1403850  
wizwor likes this.
post #11814 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Can someone please explain the rationale for needing an activation code for CM TV when we are using a DVR+ which is a CM device, with CM firmware.
They want to build a mailing list of CMTV users; hence the need to "sign up" in order to get your activation code.

Not endorsing it, but pretty much everything that's "free" on the Internet works like this. You have to give up some data about yourself to get the "free" stuff.
post #11815 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Looks like the original remote to me
Did you watch the YouTube presentation quoted?

How can I upgrade to YOUR remote FOR FREE!?!
post #11816 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you watch the YouTube presentation quoted?
No. I programmed my remote long ago, using the Quick Start Guide instructions.
Quote:
How can I upgrade to YOUR remote FOR FREE!?!
Upgrade? I have the original, thin, flat rectangular remote that uses CR2032 batteries. I never upgraded to the new backlit "Enhanced" remote that uses AAA batteries. But I understand some folks who purchased DVR+'s more recently did get the "Enhanced" remote with it; for instructions on that remote, use Pachinko's links:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
You can download the current DVR+ User Guide, Quick Start Guice, and Product Sheet PDFs, featuring the "Enhanced" remote control, CMTV, SlingTV, etc. from: HERE, or HERE (the PDFs are identical from either page). Scroll down to just above the Customer Reviews.

Download the current Quick Start Guide for the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" Remote Control from: HERE. Scroll down to just above the Customer Reviews.

The original "flat" remote control does not appear in these guides.
If you got the enhanced remote and want the original one instead, you could probably just ask someone who has upgraded to send you their old one.
post #11817 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Here is my 5 cents: watch the YouTube that I quoted and report back to me...
post #11818 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Your YouTube link is malformed. Here's all I get when I click on it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	42
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	1404586  
post #11819 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
folks who purchased DVR+'s more recently did get the "Enhanced" remote with it;
I bought my new/2nd DVR+ about 2 months ago and it came with the flat remote. I could careless as I use a Harmony anyway.
post #11820 of 13375 Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is already the Quick Start Guide for the upgraded remote, but I found the instructions for the original remote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgIEEDdHnyw

Also, pulling out the power cord and reinserting it fixed the no audio issue.

And today, I was able to go online and reactivate my Internet channels.
That YouTube video is not for the "original" DVR+ remote control. It's for the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced", peanut shaped remote control. That's the 2nd remote control offered by CM, which was optional until recently, and sometimes came with new orders a couple of months ago. Now it's what is delivered with all new orders. The original remote control is the "flat" model that uses CR2032 button batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page