post #1171 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomFinder View Post

Do you have a DVR? Now that I know Channel Master doesn't work with the cable provider/Verizon it isn't much use to me. I'm trying to find a cheaper DVR solution.

Verizon FiOS may not encrypt their clear QAM channels for the simple reason that their system can be turned off at the Optical Network Terminal. At $18 a month I can understand wanting a lower cost DVR solution. There are some clear QAM DVRs out there like the single tuner Philips Magnavox models that just came out, but TiVo with lifetime guide and a CableCard rental may be your best bet.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Verizon FiOS may not encrypt their clear QAM channels for the simple reason that their system can be turned off at the Optical Network Terminal. At $18 a month I can understand wanting a lower cost DVR solution. There are some clear QAM DVRs out there like the single tuner Philips Magnavox models that just came out, but TiVo with lifetime guide and a CableCard rental may be your best bet.

I agree. TiVo's can talk to each other and/or a PC. 90% of my recording is on a TiVo, with the overflow on the Sony DHG and Magnavox 515H.

I had a CM 7400 for a few hours but it didn't like my cable feed so it went back.

BottomFinder likes this.
post #1173 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
seems the remote does not have a key for 'jump' or return to previous channel. Anyone discovered workaround besides going into guide or entering channel or channel up/down?
post #1174 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
Got it. Thank you. I'll look into getting a Tivo, the only downside I've found is that there won't be any on demand/verizon widgets available, which isn't a huge loss.
post #1175 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha. Wow, which DVR would you recommend that you own? What fun is life if you can't complicate it?? I guess for the time being I will do that. Thanks again

From Fairfax you should be able to get OTA from D.C. or perhaps Baltimore. Since your Verizon probably plugs into your TV's HDMI port, an antenna might pick up something from the rf port. You could then see the difference between OTA and cable. I own all those DVRs. Only the two TiVo, one Sony and the 515H are online.

post #1176 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it. Thank you. I'll look into getting a Tivo, the only downside I've found is that there won't be any on demand/verizon widgets available, which isn't a huge loss.

I have 50+ video "widgets" on my TV & Blu-ray. I have used Amazon when I had faster internet. Now I just use my Blu-ray for Pandora. Those channels you mentioned won't be a "widget" for a long time. But with Netflix and Amazon original programming, the line is blurring and things are changing. Content is content.

post #1177 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

seems the remote does not have a key for 'jump' or return to previous channel. Anyone discovered workaround besides going into guide or entering channel or channel up/down?
It's the "back" button.
post #1178 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Channel Master site:
On back order - Feb 14 new ship date.
post #1179 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

TiVo offers features that the Verizon DVR won't give you and likewise the Verizon DVR offers features the TiVo doesn't. Cost-wise, it is sobering. A 4-tuner TiVo Basic with lifetime will run you $650. You pay $17/month for a Verizon DVR so the payback period for a TiVo would be 38 months. However, you need to rent a Verizon cable card for the TiVo and I believe Verizon charges $5/month for a cable card. Add that in and you are only saving $12/month which means your payback period is 4.5 yr. People who get a TiVo do so because they want a TiVo, not to save money.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1180 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Uhm, still not a TiVo thread, people. Please see my note a few pages back, I think.
kwg and partsman_ba like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1181 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

From Fairfax you should be able to get OTA from D.C. or perhaps Baltimore. Since your Verizon probably plugs into your TV's HDMI port, an antenna might pick up something from the rf port. You could then see the difference between OTA and cable.

"I don't know, but I've been told" that FiOS is pretty close picture quality wise to OTA (their system gives them a lot of extra bandwidth). But, one option would be to use the DVR+ (CM-7500) to record OTA TV using an antenna and just not worry about recording the cable channels. It would save the DVR fee. The pay off would be in 16-17 months. No recording Food Network, Travel Channel, or HGTV though.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #1182 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

"I don't know, but I've been told" that FiOS is pretty close picture quality wise to OTA (their system gives them a lot of extra bandwidth). But, one option would be to use the DVR+ (CM-7500) to record OTA TV using an antenna and just not worry about recording the cable channels. It would save the DVR fee. The pay off would be in 16-17 months. No recording Food Network, Travel Channel, or HGTV though.

Works for me, but I'm not married. :)

post #1183 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I found out that the manual clock does not keep time. 5 minutes off in 3 days, trying the auto clock now.
I tried the Airlink 101 golden N wireless mini usb adapter for the internet did not work, also tried Keebox wireless 150 N usb adapter did not work. Neither one has built in Linux.
post #1184 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"...I tried the Airlink 101 golden N wireless mini usb adapter for the internet did not work, also tried Keebox wireless 150 N usb adapter did not work. Neither one has built in Linux..."

????? First, what motivated you to try these particular USB WiFi adapters? Neither have been listed in a previous post as having the necessary chipset or VID_/PID_ IDs. Second, the Linux USB WiFi adapter driver is contained within the latest 101R software update.- hence the necessity to select the correct adapter.

I am sure that there are MANY adapters that will NOT work with the DVR+. What we need is confirmation of which of the suggested testable models listed previously actually work with the DVR+.
kwg likes this.
post #1185 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Just spoke with Channel Master. The DVR+ is sold out yet again. They are awaiting another shipment sometime in mid February. But if you ordered by last week, then you should be good to go and your order is currently processing to be shipped. But call CM to confirm if you ordered and made the cut off. They said that sales have been a bit overwhelming, and that demand has surprisingly exceeded supply. So I guess there may be more cord cutters out there than they realized. If they were smart, they would offer some discount deals on antennas and amps for folks who purchase the DVR.
post #1186 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63

Whew.  Mine shipped yesterday, and is progressing through UPS.  2nd Day was like $3, so it should be here tomorrow.

Chuck

post #1187 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Chuck,
what was your order date?
post #1188 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieoc View Post

Chuck,
what was your order date?

As I said yesterday:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

Chuck, still waiting for DVR+ shipment.

Edit: WOW, talk about quick results.  Flipped back to my e-mail, and there was the ship notice.  Ordered 12/30/2013, Order number 31600, current state "label printed".  Scheduled delivery 1/15.

post #1189 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Chuck, BTW, little easy to point to other post(s) [instead of re-posting, what is not cool at forums] if you'll click by mouse's right button on a line "post # xxxx of yyyy" of that old post, select "copy link location" and paste it into your reply.

Or just provide a number of that referencing post.
post #1190 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
They confirmed that my order has cleared the cutoff before they supply was depleted and will ship tomorrow. They are still catching up on orders. But new orders will not be able to ship until February when their new shipment arrives.
post #1191 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM

Liked: 12
is there any reason not to choose "best available' for picture resolution? i think it was the default. I hardly ever watch SD; television is 1080; i realize some broadcasters use only 720 so it makes sense to me to use best available. But what makes sense to me, sometimes those with better KB can inform. thanks
post #1192 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone figured out the CM-7500 remote control device codes yet? Just purchased a new Logitech Harmony 650 Remote that should be here this weekend, and would like to code my new DVR+ into it as the DVR+ remote is a bit small in my hands. Plus, I really need to combine remotes! Getting to be a bit much with all my components.

When contacting Logitech support, they said… "Unfortunately, we don't have a specific date on when the model will be added to the Harmony database. In the mean time, you can use the original remote of your Channel Master CM7500 DVR to teach commands to the Harmony 650. You can use the instructions on this link on how to learn commands from the original remote: Answer ID: 35189 .  NOTE: I read someone else tried adding the Channel Master CM7400 device from Logitech, but it won't work with the CM7500.

When contacting Channel Master support, they said… "Our DVR+ unit isn't compatible with any remote other than its specific remote. We wouldn't have any codes in order to get this working for you. Apologies for the inconvenience”.

If anyone has a suggestion (i.e. workaround) for this instead of having to “learn commands" as per Logitech ID 35189 above, I would welcome a reply here.
post #1193 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

is there any reason not to choose "best available' for picture resolution? i think it was the default. I hardly ever watch SD; television is 1080; i realize some broadcasters use only 720 so it makes sense to me to use best available. But what makes sense to me, sometimes those with better KB can inform. thanks
unfortunately, the setting is not well designed, actually they did it favor of content's owners. not us, customers;
first, its priority based on DHCP (my Dell 1905FP monitor doesn't support it, so the DVR+ set output to 480p regardless if the content such restrictive flag and doesn't allow to change it, while it shows own selection 'best avail'; TR-50 FW is more robust - I can select 720p for the same monitor and watch everything);
second - the list is then dynamically created by parsing EDID info from the TV/Monitor; if it support HDCP, you will be able to change to any value in the list what you like, my other Dell 2408WFP working fine with 1080p60 selection.
post #1194 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 325
The main difference between letting the DVR output the native signal and having the DVR convert everything to 1080p is that in the first case, your TV will do the scaling, and in the second case, the DVR will do the scaling. If the scalers in both devices are of similar quality, you won't notice a difference. If one looks better than the other, you should use the scaler in that device.

The second difference between automatic and fixed resolution is that changing channels takes longer when the DVR outputs the native signal, because it has to negotiate the HDMI connetion again. Some people find the delay annoying, so they prefer to not use native mode (and many devices don't even offer a native mode because of this).
post #1195 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The main difference between letting the DVR output the native signal and having the DVR convert everything to 1080p is that in the first case, your TV will do the scaling, and in the second case, the DVR will do the scaling. If the scalers in both devices are of similar quality, you won't notice a difference. If one looks better than the other, you should use the scaler in that device.

The second difference between automatic and fixed resolution is that changing channels takes longer when the DVR outputs the native signal, because it has to negotiate the HDMI connetion again. Some people find the delay annoying, so they prefer to not use native mode (and many devices don't even offer a native mode because of this).
It's a bug !
No need to re-negotiate, eg retrieve EDID and check for HDCP if you didn't disconnect the monitor/TV. FW should just check EDID copy in RAM for the resolution and proceed inside of own CPU/decomp engines
post #1196 of 4728 Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

A couple more bugs discovered:
  • Manual tuning: I can't type RF ch number higher then 51
  • they did not get TR50 good design - using left/right arrows to change the RF ch#
  • sloppy discovery/populating CHANNEL LIST if one mux has many services, here is RF 42, virt ch 1 has 20 services
  • who need the sublist for Scan option?! start/stop; pressing Scan would be enough to start scan, pressing second time - stop if you wish

Look likes it will not scan higher then RF ch 51. Can someone check it ? TV Fool site will help you discover if some station in your area has RF ch higher then 51...
post #1197 of 4728 Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

A couple more bugs discovered:
  • Manual tuning: I can't type RF ch number higher then 51
  • they did not get TR50 good design - using left/right arrows to change the RF ch#
  • sloppy discovery/populating CHANNEL LIST if one mux has many services, here is RF 42, virt ch 1 has 20 services
  • who need the sublist for Scan option?! start/stop; pressing Scan would be enough to start scan, pressing second time - stop if you wish

Look likes it will not scan higher then RF ch 51. Can someone check it ? TV Fool site will help you discover if some station in your area has RF ch higher then 51...

With the analog to DTV conversion the FCC dropped the channel allocations between 52 and 69 for television. The frequencies have been reallocated to land mobile / public safety radio services. If you happen to be a scanner hobbyist you will notice some agencies starting to relocate to 700MHz.
wizwor likes this.
post #1198 of 4728 Old 01-15-2014, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo_97 View Post

With the analog to DTV conversion the FCC dropped the channel allocations between 52 and 69 for television. The frequencies have been reallocated to land mobile / public safety radio services. If you happen to be a scanner hobbyist you will notice some agencies starting to relocate to 700MHz.
How is that not a programming 'bug' in the DVR+?

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1199 of 4728 Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 AM

I will answer my own question from post #1038 about the seagate hard drive not going into standby mode. I did talk with CM. The one thing they told me was the drive will always be running when

the DVR is on because it is always buffering which makes sense. But after the DVR is off my hard drive is still running and the LED is still on. CM did not have an answer for that yet.

Seagate does have optional dashboard software to download and install with the drive connected to a computer which I did. By default the drive is set to run all the time. I set standby for 15 min. and the LED to off because it is too bright in the bedroom. Like a night light. The LED setting is either on or off and does not go off when the drive is in standby.

After connecting the hard drive back up to the DVR everything works just right. The DVR had to restart about 2-3 times.

Hope this helps.

artisticimaging likes this.
post #1200 of 4728 Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

It's a bug !
No need to re-negotiate, eg retrieve EDID and check for HDCP if you didn't disconnect the monitor/TV. FW should just check EDID copy in RAM for the resolution and proceed inside of own CPU/decomp engines

If it's a bug then it's shared by everyone using HDMI. All ABC and FOX channels have a native mode of 720p. All NBC, CBS and most CW have a native mode of 1080i. When going from 720p to 1080i there will usually be a period of renegotiation. I set everything to fixed 1080i except the Blu-ray - set to 1080p. It's a personal preference, not a rule.

If anyone has a station that seems the wrong resolution, please post its call letters.

Aleron Ives likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page