Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 420 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2869Likes

post #12571 of 12600 Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Interestingly, the Web page doesn't say it can record! But the screenshot of the EPG includes a "Book" command, which is how you set up a timed recording on these, so maybe it can. And even if it can't, just buy the HomeWorX HW-150 (or one of the many other clones that can) instead.Usually I get CM's email blasts, but not today for some reason.

Check the photos again. Unless they've hidden it very well, there is no Ethernet port! Just antenna, HDMI in, and one USB connector, presumably for storage. They could probably add OTA recording via a firmware upgrade, but the guide will have to come from PSIP. I don't see any provision for Internet connectivity.
Check the photos again. Unless they've hidden it very well, there is no Ethernet port! Just antenna, HDMI in, and one USB connector, presumably for storage. They could probably add OTA recording via a firmware upgrade, but the guide will have to come from PSIP. I don't see any provision for Internet connectivity.
The CM-7003 Converter Box actually does RECORD! I didn't look past the web page this morning, and assumed it did not, but pages 11 and 12 of the CM-7003 User Guide are titled "PVR Recording". Recording is to a USB EHD (it formats to various file systems, FAT32 is recommended - I don't know what others are available).

The CM-7003 Spec Sheet shows the following diagram, with a UDB Thumbdrive, but evidently supports EHDs as well (as indicated in the User Guide):

This morning I thought it was just an ATSC/QAM to NTSC converter for old TVs. While it appears to do that, it also appears that it can be used on wide screen TVs as it has outputs of 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i, and the TV in the image shown on the CM web page is a wide screen TV. If that's the case, it's a step up from the ATSC to NTSC converter boxes when ATSC first arrived.

Another purpose is for "TVs" that have no tuners (a Monitor), or for TVs with defective tuners like on one of my TVs.

Why a "converter box" can record, but the "digital hub" does not, seems odd to me. Maybe they do intend to update it to a PVR some day?

Yeah, it doesn't look like it has internet capabilities, and I haven't seen it documented, but maybe the USB port can support a WiFi dongle. Of course that would make it impractical if the port is used for a USB EHD. That said, page 9 of the Spec Sheet says software updates can be installed from a USB Flash Drive, so looks like no WiFi capability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12572 of 12600 Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Yes, I don't know why CM didn't even mention that the CM-7003 can record and play back TV (unless you download the user guide and read through several pages). From everything I read, I think it's safe to assume my experience with the iView and HomeWorX will transfer to the CM-7003.

I would advise against using a USB flash drive with this type of STB. Many can't handle the high write speed needed for HD recording. You're better off with a traditional HDD. However, I have tested a class 10 128GB micro SD card and it records fine - but time-shifting and chase play don't work well (the playback video keeps freezing).

BTW, all the MStar boxes (of which the CM-7003 is one) have some nice undocumented features. For instance, even though they have only one tuner, so you can't change channels while recording, you can change to a different subchannel of the channel you're recording! Also, they will support multiple HDDs via a USB hub. When you go into the USB menu you'll get asked which HDD to use (although figuring out which drive is which can be a challenge). So in theory, the CM-7003 could support a WiFi dongle via a hub and a firmware upgrade, but I doubt CM wants to put that much effort into overhauling the firmware.

I'm not even sure how much effort they'll put into fixing bugs in the "generic" 7802 firmware. For example, the iView firmware doesn't support the "Book" function correctly. Pressing OK to book a recording from the EPG should bring up a filled-in "Add Event" dialog, but in STBs with buggy firmware, it just brings up the timer list and you have to add the event manually.

Other oddities: closed captions work during live viewing and playing a recording, but not during time-shifting or chase play! And daily recordings don't work correctly on some STBs with buggy firmware, forcing you to set up 5-7 weekly recordings instead. It'd be interesting to see if the CM-7003 has any of these bugs.

Edit: I already discovered one firmware bug CM didn't fix, just by looking at the screen-shots! Fortunately, it's extremely minor:
Quote:
The info box that comes up when you change channels has a letter "D" about 2/3 the way across the top line.
The "D" may mean something; I've also seen it in firmware version 8.1 for the HomeWorX HW-180. But it was removed in version 11.0 and doesn't appear in other firmware versions, so I'm pretty sure it's just a small bug.

If anyone takes the plunge on a CM-7003, I'd urge them to start a thread on it and post a link to it here.

Edit 2: Amazon is already selling them - but for $59, plus another $9.49 for shipping! As with the DVR+, better to buy straight from CM (or just buy one of the many clones for under $40).
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-19-2016 at 07:39 AM.
post #12573 of 12600 Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Hmmm ... yes, I was thinking the streaming device (Roku, AppleTV, Fire, etc.) uses the HDMI input and is connected, but I doubt they could pass firmware updates through a third party device effectively. It could have wireless connection.
post #12574 of 12600 Old 08-19-2016, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
It was the mobile model.

7200 RPM is nice for a PC drive. Doesn't make much difference to a DVR though.

BTW, I'm collecting a running list of good & bad drive models here: The unOfficial AVS Channel Master DVR+ DVR Topic!
Thanks to point out this list. When you edit it again, maybe you can put a warning on those 2 drives:
1. WDBU6Y0020BBK (CM's recommended drive). Issues
*ts corruption arround 25 seconds in a recording when the disk usage has reached arround 25% and more and the drive was in Standby mode.
*At the same time, started noticing few audio dropouts, but it 's rare.
*On firmware 132r/134r, video freezes on high biterate channels (arround 17 mbps)

2. WDBFJK0040HBK (WD my book 4tb). Issues :
*Audio dropouts on time shifting, a lot.
*on 132r/134r, Video freezes on high biterate channels. But it's worst on this drive then the other one.
*Notice also the ts corruption. But the corruption was arround 45s in the recording.

I ordered the Touro S drive 1tb. I didn't order it because of the 7200rpm, just because it was cheaper from the vendor that I can return it no question asked. I should receive it next week. I will update this post after doing some tests on this drive.
post #12575 of 12600 Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I added them. Thanks.

Because of your high bit-rate channels, you're sort of the "stress test" for the DVR+ community! Let us know how the HGST Touro S works for you.
post #12576 of 12600 Old 08-19-2016, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Just had a weird experience. I came into my room, and the DVR+ was recording, but somehow it had also turned itself on, and the YouTube app was loaded!

Well, at least I know it will record while YouTube is running.

Stopped the recording (which I didn't want anyway) and did a cold boot "just in case."
pachinko likes this.
post #12577 of 12600 Old 08-20-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 207
CM got back to me on YouTube hanging my DVR+ while a recording was happening. Drew said a factory reset has fixed this issue in the past.
post #12578 of 12600 Old 08-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Encountered an issue yesterday that was new to me but maybe not new to others.

I am binge recording the Olympics and had a recording going when I went to YouTube to put Cailou on for my grandson and the DVR+ locked up right away and the front panel light that was red went dark.

None of the remote controls worked and the DVR+ front panel power did not work. On the screen was a frozen image from YouTube.

The fix was to pull the power and power back up and avoid YouTube. I will report this to CM.

Has anyone had a recording going and successfully viewed YouTube material?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
CM got back to me on YouTube hanging my DVR+ while a recording was happening. Drew said a factory reset has fixed this issue in the past.
Unfortunately, that's the standard fix-all from CM! Before doing a painful Factory Reset, have you tried YouTube after the Cold Boot you were forced to perform, and did the issue go away?

If YouTube still Hangs the DVR+ after a Cold Boot, have you tried Factory Reset, and did that work?
post #12579 of 12600 Old 08-21-2016, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've decided to cut the cord, but have recorded shows for years before the days of DVRs with a VCR. We just hate watching commercials. So I definitely need a DVR of some sort. How happy are ya'll with your purchase of the CM-7500 ? Would you do it again? Are there any glaring deficiencies in the Channel Master when compared to other manufacturers?

Thanks!
post #12580 of 12600 Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbrad View Post
I've decided to cut the cord, but have recorded shows for years before the days of DVRs with a VCR. We just hate watching commercials. So I definitely need a DVR of some sort. How happy are ya'll with your purchase of the CM-7500 ? Would you do it again? Are there any glaring deficiencies in the Channel Master when compared to other manufacturers?

Thanks!
We're happy with the DVR+. Just remember that none of the cable type streaming services you can get after you cut the cord really has DVR functionality.

You can record any program that comes in via your antenna. For us, that's all the networks like ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, PBS and the CW network. Plus a few smaller "networks" like Ion.

But the internet streaming channels cannot be recorded. If you are going to use something like SlingTV to bring in ESPN and other channels normally found on cable, you can't record those streams. Many of them allow you to watch on demand, so you can still time shift, but you can't you skip commercials.

We use the DVR+ for our network shows, and then a Roku for watching Netflix and Amazon Prime. Overall, were very happy with the set up.
pachinko and jmbrad like this.
post #12581 of 12600 Old 08-21-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
J wish that the Program Guide would give at least the title of the episode. When you record multiple episodes of a program, they all just appear in a list and you have to keep toggling the info button to read the descriptions. If there were episode titles, it would be easier to figure out which episode you're looking for.
JHBrandt, wizwor, pachinko and 1 others like this.
post #12582 of 12600 Old 08-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!
What fshagan and carltonrice said!

I’m happy with my CM-7500gb16 DVR+, even though it’s lacking in features, and has some issues that require rebooting now and then, although a lot less with recent updates. But it does what I expect it to do, and I truly don’t have much trouble with mine, even though I may be the top abuser of the device. That doesn’t mean I don’t wish for a lot of bells and whistles, but if your basic needs are to have a DVR for just OTA, with a reasonably good free EPG, then it’s a nice device.

IMHO, it’s very easy to use once you played with it a few hours. Yes, I would buy another if I needed one, depending upon the cost of that other popular DVR whose name is taboo here, and I would prefer it had at least 4 tuners.

There are tons of things to know about the DVR+ that you might not normally consider, such as the maximum number of Recordings Schedules, the number of or recordings on any one storage device, what happens if Rovi stops providing the EPG, etc, but you’ll have to do lots of reading to discover them. Member wizwor recently started a new thread where hopefully newcomers will have a good place to start without having to search through thousands of posts. But it’s very new and is under construction, so there’s not much there at the moment, but go take a look, especially the first post.

We’re not supposed to discuss much more than the DVR+ on this thread, so I can’t answer your “glaring deficiencies when compared to” question here. There is a “Channel Master DVR+ vs TiVo Roamio OTA” thread where at least those two devices can be compared (but it's not very active).
jmbrad likes this.
post #12583 of 12600 Old 08-21-2016, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
We're happy with the DVR+. Just remember that none of the cable type streaming services you can get after you cut the cord really has DVR functionality.

You can record any program that comes in via your antenna. For us, that's all the networks like ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, PBS and the CW network. Plus a few smaller "networks" like Ion.

But the internet streaming channels cannot be recorded. If you are going to use something like SlingTV to bring in ESPN and other channels normally found on cable, you can't record those streams. Many of them allow you to watch on demand, so you can still time shift, but you can't you skip commercials.

We use the DVR+ for our network shows, and then a Roku for watching Netflix and Amazon Prime. Overall, were very happy with the set up.
Thanks for the insights!

Didn't realize that about the streaming channels, but didn't plan on getting a streaming service other than what I already have, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Just created a Vudu account tonight and went through my Blu-ray collection and registered all of my digital content. I have a Samsung PN60F8500, so for the most part, the streaming will be done via the TV. I'm coming from AT&T U-verse, so a bit spoiled. We just find ourselves watching less and less TV and on our computers and tablets more and more. I lost my job of 22 years in Feb, so I need to save some money anyway. The time is right. I'm not a big sports fan, so ESPN is no loss. Most of our shows are major network shows anyway, so no real loss there. Syfy hasn't had a really good show since FarScape. USA and TNT are not as appealing to us as they used to be so, I can leave it. I think I'll miss Discovery and Animal Planet the most. At least Myth Busters is concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
J wish that the Program Guide would give at least the title of the episode. When you record multiple episodes of a program, they all just appear in a list and you have to keep toggling the info button to read the descriptions. If there were episode titles, it would be easier to figure out which episode you're looking for.
Didn't know that about the episode titles. Maybe they'll fix that in an upgrade one day.

Do you receive the guide via OTA or though the internet? I read where the guide will work either way, but is more accurate when retrieved from Channel Master servers.
post #12584 of 12600 Old 08-22-2016, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cool

Quote:
Didn't know that about the episode titles. Maybe they'll fix that in an upgrade one day.

Do you receive the guide via OTA or though the internet? I read where the guide will work either way, but is more accurate when retrieved from Channel Master servers.
I receive the guide information via the Internet. I am using the wifi adpator with my unit.
post #12585 of 12600 Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As you've read, the EPG is provided from two sources. First is 14 days of programs provided by Rovi (an internet connection is required). Second, if Rovi data is unavailable, either because there is no internet connection, or if Rovi currently does not support a particular channel, those channels will receive the standard OTA PSIP data. Should Rovi ever stop providing the 'free' data (we don't know the details of the contract with CM), all channels will receive the standard OTA PSIP data.

On occasion, data from Rovi has temporarily been unavailable for certain ZIP Codes (CM calls that a "Temporary Outage"). But usually the EPG by Rovi automatically updates about once per day, and usually extends between 13 and 14 days.

If the DVR+ is never connected to the internet, it will rely solely upon PSIP data, which only updates for a channel under certain conditions. The main condition being when a channel is accessed for at least a short period. As such, all channels of interest need to be accessed at least once per day. To automate the process, @Greasemonkey , developed a method to ensure the desired channels receive updated PSIP data at least once per day. If no internet is your choice, search for Greasemonkey's procedure.
post #12586 of 12600 Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Didn't realize that about the streaming channels, but didn't plan on getting a streaming service other than what I already have, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Just created a Vudu account tonight and went through my Blu-ray collection and registered all of my digital content. I have a Samsung PN60F8500, so for the most part, the streaming will be done via the TV. I'm coming from AT&T U-verse, so a bit spoiled. We just find ourselves watching less and less TV and on our computers and tablets more and more. I lost my job of 22 years in Feb, so I need to save some money anyway. The time is right. I'm not a big sports fan, so ESPN is no loss. Most of our shows are major network shows anyway, so no real loss there. Syfy hasn't had a really good show since FarScape. USA and TNT are not as appealing to us as they used to be so, I can leave it. I think I'll miss Discovery and Animal Planet the most. At least Myth Busters is concluded.
You sound a lot like us. We had Prime and our Dish subscription, and realized we were watching less and less of Dish. The one thing I know we would miss is being able to time-shift programs and watch shows when we wanted to and had time. We realized all the shows we were watching on the Dish dvr were network TV shows and were streaming more and more from Prime.

I went through a similar job loss a few years ago and did find a job, but started at 25% of my old pay. After three years they have doubled my pay but I'm still only at 50% of my old earnings - a situation that is not uncommon among my friends my age. So cutting back was driven by necessity and the last thing to go was the Dish subscription when they tried to raise it about 40%.

It has been the least painful of the cutbacks. We dropped Dish and added Netflix to our existing line up and have been very happy. I would love to have the DVR+ have both Amazon and Netflix in the guide as Internet apps like Vudu is just to prevent having to switch inputs, but its not so bad once you get used to it. I had a huge WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to consider but she was so mad at Dish that she gladly uses three remotes now.
post #12587 of 12600 Old 08-22-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the insights!

Where it really bites is in the recordings list when you've recorded many episodes of one show.

PSIP (broadcast) guides don't have episode titles, but most of us use the Rovi (Internet) guide, and I know the Rovi guide has episode titles because they appear on other devices that use Rovi's guide (e.g., WMC and Dish Network guides). So if you're using the Rovi guide, there's no reason CM couldn't show the episode title in the guide, and save the title if you record the episode.
post #12588 of 12600 Old 08-22-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
So if you're using the Rovi guide, there's no reason CM couldn't show the episode title in the guide, and save the title if you record the episode.
I don't know if you're following the Rovi/TiVo merger, but the guide integration has started. We hope it will be settled by 9/17 or so when the new broadcast season starts. It's going to really hard to avoid using the word "TiVo" soon.
pachinko likes this.
post #12589 of 12600 Old 08-24-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Rovi, TiVo, or whatever they're calling themselves now (ViTRo?), I seem to be experiencing another of their guide outages. Guide hasn't updated since Sunday
post #12590 of 12600 Old 08-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Speaking of Rovi, TiVo, or whatever they're calling themselves now (ViTRo?), I seem to be experiencing another of their guide outages. Guide hasn't updated since Sunday
You might be right! I refreshed the Guide and it extends only 10 days, to Sat. Sep. 3 at 6:30 PM. Maybe this time its not a "temporary outage", but a problem with the "Program Guide Data Updates" going on at TiVo to support Rovi Guide Data due to the upcoming Rovi/TiVo merger?
post #12591 of 12600 Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess they've already merged, but what's still upcoming is switching (I refuse to call it "upgrading" as ViTRo does) TiVos to the Rovi guide, as I expected would happen.

TiVo owners will be so pleased Now they can enjoy "temporary outages" along with the rest of us!
post #12592 of 12600 Old 08-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DVR+ Forum

Is the a good DVR+ forum with different entries for each topic/post/question anywhere like most forums work?

With 12,500+ entries here it is very difficult to find anything in this forum. Followups to a question can be several pages into other discussions and your paging through forever trying to find anything.

I have had many questions/issues with my DVR+ but finding help is difficult.

Channel Master are you listening. I think this would be to your benefit. Maybe start one on your site.

Thanks,

Steve
post #12593 of 12600 Old 08-24-2016, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssprill View Post
Is the a good DVR+ forum with different entries for each topic/post/question anywhere like most forums work?

With 12,500+ entries here it is very difficult to find anything in this forum. Followups to a question can be several pages into other discussions and your paging through forever trying to find anything.

I have had many questions/issues with my DVR+ but finding help is difficult.

Channel Master are you listening. I think this would be to your benefit. Maybe start one on your site.
Welcome to the forum!

To my knowledge, there is no forum for the DVR+ organized in the way you described, and CM doesn't have that either. At one time CM had a Q&A page, but I didn't find it all that helpful, and I don't think it exists any longer. However, AVS Forum member @wizwor recently started a thread with the intent that post 1 of that thread, and perhaps posts 2 and 3, will condense what is contained in this thread, similar to what you've described. Have you visited "The unOfficial AVS Channel Master DVR+ DVR Topic", even though it is far from complete?

You can ask questions on this thread, but it is best that you demonstrate that you have at least invested some time searching this thread for the answer.

Other than that, and while wizwor continues to develop "The unOfficial AVS Channel Master DVR+ DVR Topic" thread, I would suggest that you Click Here, and download 3 Zip files attached to that post (the 3 with names like "_Part Of Q& A for wizwor (2016-07-31)"). You do not need the other 3 Zip files as they just contain miscellaneous JPG files which are not needed by the first 3 Zip files. Make a folder on your computer, and unzip the 3 downloads there. Look for the only HTML file and double click on it. That HTML contains many of the answers you may have been looking for, in one location that you can search or simply peruse.

PS: I also suggest that you change the number of posts displayed on each AVS Forum page, from the default of 30, to 100 (User CP, Edit Options, Number of Posts to Show Per Page). That makes following a conversation much easier, IMHO of course!
JHBrandt, wizwor and LenL like this.
post #12594 of 12600 Old Today, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I guess they've already merged, but what's still upcoming is switching (I refuse to call it "upgrading" as ViTRo does) TiVos to the Rovi guide, as I expected would happen.

TiVo owners will be so pleased Now they can enjoy "temporary outages" along with the rest of us!
This morning, my Rovi guide was still ending September 3. However, this afternoon the full 14 days are back. My guide ends now September 9.
JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
post #12595 of 12600 Old Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear the latest Rovi outage is over. I missed a couple of episodes of The Late Show due to the outage: the guide didn't flag them as new as it should have.

It actually seemed specific to the DVR+, so probably not related to the TiVo switchover. I didn't experience the same problem with the Rovi guide on WMC, so I switched The Late Show to record on my PC.
pachinko and Nithun like this.
post #12596 of 12600 Old Today, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Probably not. Most drives work, but folks usually post here only when they don't work.

Most of the troublesome drives have been Seagates, but a lot of other folks are using Seagate drives with no issues, so that may just be a reflection of the fact that most folks try a Seagate drive first.

I can tell you I used an HGST Touro 1TB drive for quite a while without any audio dropouts or other problems. (HGST was Hitachi but is now owned by Western Digital; but I think the drives are still manufactured in Hitachi's facilities.) The only drawback was there's no way to set a spin-down timeout on the Touro.
I returned the the Seagate STDR1000100 and replaced it with WD Black My Passport 1 TB WDBGPU0010BBK-NESN. I haven't had any issues in the last 4 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
I'm in the same boat. The dvr+ seems to be very picky on the drive. I have a wd hard drive, one of the recommended drive from CM. Every time the dvr+ start recording when the drive is in standby mode, a big glitch occurs arround 25 seconds in the recording. I initialized the drive and this went away. However, it started again this week. The hard drive usage has reached 25%. Also,
I started to notice some audio drops out.

I'm using 124r. If I upgrade to 134r, I have video freezes on high biterate channels. I think it's the hard drive causing that.

It's my third hard drive. I like this device, but It's starting to be expensive.
Before I bought the WD WDBGPU0010BBK-NESN, I borrowed a friend's WD 2TB WDBU6Y0020BBK. I didn't find any issues. No audio drop-outs, no glitch at around 25 seconds. Sure, it was a fresh drive and was not filled to 25%. I saw a new one on sale, but didn't want take a chance and bought the "My Passport" instead.

Quote:
I missed a couple of episodes of The Late Show due to the outage: the guide didn't flag them as new as it should have.
Ditto. I had the same problem and missed last three episodes even though it recorded the Monday's episode. I am glad the outage is over at least.
post #12597 of 12600 Old Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithun View Post
I returned the the Seagate STDR1000100 and replaced it with WD Black My Passport 1 TB WDBGPU0010BBK-NESN. I haven't had any issues in the last 4 days.
I added it to my list as a "good" drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithun View Post
Before I bought the WD WDBGPU0010BBK-NESN, I borrowed a friend's WD 2TB WDBU6Y0020BBK. I didn't find any issues. No audio drop-outs, no glitch at around 25 seconds. Sure, it was a fresh drive and was not filled to 25%. I saw a new one on sale, but didn't want take a chance and bought the "My Passport" instead.
I have this on my list as a "bad" drive, but added a note that problems are likely only under certain conditions.
post #12598 of 12600 Old Today, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I added it to my list as a "good" drive.
I have this on my list as a "bad" drive, but added a note that problems are likely only under certain conditions.
I guess it's related to the high biterate channels.

I received the Touro S (HT0SPA10001BDB) drive on Tuesday. I upgraded the dvr+ to 134r. Did not see any video freezes on high biterate channels. However, in time shifting (on a high biterate channel) l get some audio dropouts.

This drive has a 5 minutes spin down timer that cannot be disabled or changed. There is also no visual status for the spin down mode. The led stay solid lid, but I can hear the drive stops spinning.

However, I get the same ts corruption at 25 seconds with this drive too. It starts happening when the disk usage has reached 50%. Since this drive is 1tb, this is the same amount of data compare to my 2tb drive when usage get at 25%. I contacted Channel Master about this. They asked more details. I will see how it goes with them. Maybe it's not related to the hard drive.

I will wait for Channel Master response, but since I got some audio dropouts in time shifting, I will probably return this drive and get a 1tb wd my passport and give it a try.
post #12599 of 12600 Old Today, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
This morning, my Rovi guide was still ending September 3. However, this afternoon the full 14 days are back. My guide ends now September 9.
Same for me! I refreshed the guide this morning and it ended on Sept, 03. After a refresh this evening it goes to 6:30 PM Friday Sep. 9 (14 days).
post #12600 of 12600 Old Today, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing that the corruption at the 25-second mark is a combination of several factors:

• High bit-rate channel
  • Time required for the drive to spin up from standby
  • Seek time, which is probably related to how much data has been written to the drive

The first and last may also be related to the audio drop-outs.

You may be able to eliminate the 25-second corruption by choosing a HDD that never spins down, but the audio drop-outs are a tougher issue. The only way to eliminate seek time would be with a solid-state drive of some sort.

I tried a class 10 micro SD card with mixed results. It seemed to record fine and play back fine, but simultaneous recording and playback (as when time-shifting) didn't work well. So I've ordered a PNY Turbo Attache 128GB thumb drive to experiment with. It's one of only a few thumb drives with a write speed that rivals an actual HDD. I'll let you know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread