Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 4578 Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Member
 
hevan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to retrieve full guide data from 2 different cities? I receive channels from 3 different cities. I have switched zip codes and the data changes to psip from the other locations when I change the zip code.
hevan49 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 4578 Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 9,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

That might be reasonable if they're calculating actual shipping cost for individual orders, smintn lives in the boonies, and there's so little profit margin in the product itself that CM can't afford to take a loss on the shipping.

 

Actually, they average out the cost and charge accordingly. Now could they ship it for less in some cases... I'm sure they could. However in their case like the price of the DVR itself what one feels is reasonable often isn't the case. Comparing them to Amazon or other such large retailer is off the wall. Their related costs aren't in the same universe. 

Charles R is offline  
post #1263 of 4578 Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
trp2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

We ship quite a bit and associated fees alone often run equal to a more than $5. You have fuel surcharge, residential surcharge, delivery areas surcharge (out in the boonies) and whatnot. Those are fixed and by the time you throw in the actual shipping charge (especially across the country) the $15 starts to look real good.

Based on their volume they receive a discount off the standard street shipping rates. At a minimum 25%... which doesn't alter the above at all.

Out of curiosity I checked the shipping charges for the CM USB WiFi adapter to my home (located in Massachusetts) and it was $11.78 for UPS Ground. That means CM is actually calculating shipping charges based on zip code/distance.

I've found these UPS shipping charges on very small items to be very excessive from many online sellers. A much better/economical shipping solution in these cases are the USPS flat-rate boxes. You can purchase (at full retail) a USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box for only $5.80. The dimensions are 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" and it will typically be delivered anywhere in the US in 2-3 days (including Saturday deliveries). Anything that will fit in the box ships for the same price.

I have found that many online sellers will not offer this much better choice to their customers because either they don't want to be bothered with alternate shipping methods or they don't want to negatively affect their volume discount with UPS. Their "one exclusive shipper" attitude usually changes rather quickly, however, when UPS has a major labor strike (as they inevitably do from time to time) and they have to go scrambling for other shipping methods to deliver their products.
kwg and jjeff like this.
trp2525 is offline  
post #1264 of 4578 Old 01-15-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevan49 View Post

Has anyone been able to retrieve full guide data from 2 different cities? I receive channels from 3 different cities. I have switched zip codes and the data changes to psip from the other locations when I change the zip code.
This is a major concern, as I do believe that Rovi will only provide guide data for the official viewing market based on zip code, and signals from neighboring markets will be excluded and rely on PSIP info only. Wish it was like Tribune data which provides info from antenna coverage based on the zip code, rather than strict DMA boundaries.
tylerSC is online now  
post #1265 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

 You can purchase (at full retail) a USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box for only $5.80. The dimensions are 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" and it will typically be delivered anywhere in the US in 2-3 days (including Saturday deliveries). Anything that will fit in the box ships for the same price.

Case closed.

For $5.80 (which included a free box or envelope large enough to hold several WiFi adapters) one can ship anywhere the postal service goes, anything more than that and CM is profiting off shipping.......

IMO the whole WiFi thing is a sham by CM anyway. It would have only cost CM pennies(probably less than $1) to have built the WiFi in(like on basically every other internet device made within the last few years(BD players for example)) so if CM is saying it cost them $15 to ship a WiFi adapter it's only their fault. It wouldn't have cost them ANYTHING more to ship the DVR+ if they had only built it in :rolleyes:

kwg likes this.
jjeff is online now  
post #1266 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Member
 
MKS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebw22 View Post
 

I will answer my own question from post #1038 about the seagate hard drive not going into standby mode. I did talk with CM. The one thing they told me was the drive will always be running when

the DVR is on because it is always buffering which makes sense. But after the DVR is off my hard drive is still running and the LED is still on. CM did not have an answer for that yet.

Seagate does have optional dashboard software to download and install with the drive connected to a computer which I did. By default the drive is set to run all the time. I set standby for 15 min. and the LED to off because it is too bright in the bedroom. Like a night light. The LED setting is either on or off and does not go off when the drive is in standby.

After connecting the hard drive back up to the DVR everything works just right. The DVR had to restart about 2-3 times.

Hope this helps.


just wanted to thank for your posting on how to get the Seagate HDD to stop running when the DVR+ is in standby mode.

I followed your instructions, downloaded and installed the software and it works great. Thanks again Mike.

Mike

MKS13 is offline  
post #1267 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 AM
Newbie
 
mikebw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
 


just wanted to thank for your posting on how to get the Seagate HDD to stop running when the DVR+ is in standby mode.

I followed your instructions, downloaded and installed the software and it works great. Thanks again Mike.

Mike

Glad to help. This is a great forum to get things resolved for new products. I also updated Stephen at CM tech support about this.

mikebw22 is offline  
post #1268 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 05:44 AM
Senior Member
 
smintn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewisburg, Tn
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

That might be reasonable if they're calculating actual shipping cost for individual orders, smintn lives in the boonies, and there's so little profit margin in the product itself that CM can't afford to take a loss on the shipping.
eek.gif wow! I didn't mean to start a battle of the shipping charges discussions. If I'd known that it would cost so much for just shipping the adapter I would have gotten it with the dvr+ but like you say I do live in the boonies and only have verizon mifi. I didn't think I wanted it at the time. I had gotten use to the limited psip data I was getting on my dtvpal.

What's funny smile.gif is that you mention the boonies my driveway is .3 miles long and guess what it is a gravel driveway that's not in such great shape

UPS when they deliver will hang small packages in the trees and larger packages they will call the house and meet us at the bottom of the driveway so I guess the shipping charge isn't too bad for the adapter would probably be hung in a tree when it arrived.

I will re read the post about a possible adapter substitute.....and look into purchasing one and trying it unless the shipping is 15 bucks also rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif I love this forum chocked full of information and other things it's the first time in a while that one of my post triggered more that one or two responses
smintn is offline  
post #1269 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post


Out of curiosity I checked the shipping charges for the CM USB WiFi adapter to my home (located in Massachusetts) and it was $11.78 for UPS Ground. That means CM is actually calculating shipping charges based on zip code/distance.

I've found these UPS shipping charges on very small items to be very excessive from many online sellers. A much better/economical shipping solution in these cases are the USPS flat-rate boxes. You can purchase (at full retail) a USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box for only $5.80. The dimensions are 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" and it will typically be delivered anywhere in the US in 2-3 days (including Saturday deliveries). Anything that will fit in the box ships for the same price.

I have found that many online sellers will not offer this much better choice to their customers because either they don't want to be bothered with alternate shipping methods or they don't want to negatively affect their volume discount with UPS. Their "one exclusive shipper" attitude usually changes rather quickly, however, when UPS has a major labor strike (as they inevitably do from time to time) and they have to go scrambling for other shipping methods to deliver their products.


To give that some perspective, the small flat rate box you mentioned will hold a VHS tape with a layer of thin bubble wrap. Quite a bargain. You also get tracking and $50 insurance.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #1270 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 AM
Member
 
eday_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has any more info come out since CES about the companion device they are planning to turn the DVR+ into a whole home DVR? I was sort of on the fence with this thing, but the news of the companion device (as well as the abilty to pull the recorded shows onto a computer for saving) sealed it for me. I was looking at the Tablo too, but the fact that you need an Android or iOS tablet (I have a Surface), and one of three streaming devices (WD TV Live not one of them), kills that for me.

Once the DVR+ is available to buy within Canada, I will be ordering one of these. I never get to watch Pasquale's Kitchen Express anymore smile.gif
eday_2010 is offline  
post #1271 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
pkeegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post


How do I schedule name-based recording?  If I tell it to record in the Guide, it records that one show.  How can I record all
showings of say "Bones"?

Chuck

I believe you have to have an external drive connected before you can do that. When an external drive is connected it will prompt you when you select a show in the guide if you want to do the name based recording.
Chuck Tribolet likes this.
pkeegan is offline  
post #1272 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Chuck Tribolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley (Morgan Hill, CA and Marina, CA).
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post


I believe you have to have an external drive connected before you can do that. When an external drive is connected it will prompt you when you select a show in the guide if you want to do the name based recording.

 

Thanks.

 

I'd connected an external drive, but the DVR+ had forgotten about it when I powered things down to put the DVR+ and drive in their final places and dress up the cabling.  I had to power cycle the DVR+ to get it to again recognize the hard drive.  I guess I'm not alone in this.

I think it would be good human factors for the DVR+ to grey out the "Record all shows with this name" option (rather than not displaying it at all) if there's no hard drive connected.  At least then I'd have known that I'd found the place to specify it, and gone hunting for why the option was greyed out.

Chuck Tribolet is offline  
post #1273 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Member
 
hevan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

This is a major concern, as I do believe that Rovi will only provide guide data for the official viewing market based on zip code, and signals from neighboring markets will be excluded and rely on PSIP info only. Wish it was like Tribune data which provides info from antenna coverage based on the zip code, rather than strict DMA boundaries.
Yes I agree tribune (gracenote) supplies guide info for simple tv covers all markets for 2 weeks. I tried switching zipcodes a few times and vudu came up on channel 68.1. I tried rebooting several times to no avail and finally deleted vudu to get this to work right again. Before the deletion when I tuned to 68.1 dvr+ went to vudu. I think I'll rename my machine dvr-
hevan49 is offline  
post #1274 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

I didn't have a real problem with the 39.99 price of the adapter until I found it was going to cost $15 for ups shipping.

Contacted CM as to why shipping was so high and got this response "The cost of shipping is UPS dependent. We actually receive a discount on the shipping costs as well."
Can I ask, if it cost $15 to ship the wifi adapter, how much do they charge to ship the CM-7500 itself?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1275 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Member
 
tmn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Can I ask, if it cost $15 to ship the wifi adapter, how much do they charge to ship the CM-7500 itself?
I suppose it depends on where you live but mine was $8.25 for the DVR+ biggrin.gif
tmn1 is offline  
post #1276 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
smintn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewisburg, Tn
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post

I didn't have a real problem with the 39.99 price of the adapter until I found it was going to cost $15 for ups shipping.

Contacted CM as to why shipping was so high and got this response "The cost of shipping is UPS dependent. We actually receive a discount on the shipping costs as well."
Can I ask, if it cost $15 to ship the wifi adapter, how much do they charge to ship the CM-7500 itself?
$16.35 to ship to the boonies smile.gif
smintn is offline  
post #1277 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D Ripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Burpelson Air Force Base
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by smintn View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Has it been determined if any generic USB WiFi adapters will work with the DVR+? The Channel Master version is way overpriced at $39.99. A price of $19.99 would have been more reasonable, or $9.99 even better. I may consider adding another powerline adapter if that is possible. There is a Netgear version connected in another room. Are those powerline adapters generic, and can you add one in another room? And do they have to be the same brand?


sorry I work in the industry but it is crazy to hear that is way overpriced when that is a price of a cheap dinner for two.

Although I think it is a little high, I think people are making too much of that price.  There are quite a few whiny complainers in this thread, who complain that they do not get something for nothing, and complain that it is not specifically designed for them, and complain that it is not delivered BEFORE promised.  I am sure that there will be real things to complain about, but many have lost all credibility with their total BS complaints.

I didn't have a real problem with the 39.99 price of the adapter until I found it was going to cost $15 for ups shipping.

Contacted CM as to why shipping was so high and got this response "The cost of shipping is UPS dependent. We actually receive a discount on the shipping costs as well."

I dont understand their interpretation of a shipping discount, I could see the cost of shipping being that high if the adapter weighed about 15 lbs but I don't think it weighs that much if shipping had been roughly a third of it I would have snatched one up.

 

 

Go to the UPS web site and plug in a box of the approximate size and weight, and you will see that that is the sort of price they charge.  Channel Master is just charging you about what UPS charges them to ship it.  If you don't like the fact that shipping costs money, that is just too bad.  UPS uses resources to ship things, and resources cost money.

 

Now, you could have gotten a discount if you bought everything all at once.  That is because Channel Master can put it all in one box (up to a point; if you have a huge order, it would have to go in multiple boxes).  One box to ship two things is generally much cheaper than shipping them separately.  But if you order them separately, it is your fault that the shipping costs more, so you should have to pay for it.


God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Jack D Ripper is offline  
post #1278 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D Ripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Burpelson Air Force Base
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

We ship quite a bit and associated fees alone often run equal to a more than $5. You have fuel surcharge, residential surcharge, delivery areas surcharge (out in the boonies) and whatnot. Those are fixed and by the time you throw in the actual shipping charge (especially across the country) the $15 starts to look real good.

Based on their volume they receive a discount off the standard street shipping rates. At a minimum 25%... which doesn't alter the above at all.

Out of curiosity I checked the shipping charges for the CM USB WiFi adapter to my home (located in Massachusetts) and it was $11.78 for UPS Ground. That means CM is actually calculating shipping charges based on zip code/distance.

I've found these UPS shipping charges on very small items to be very excessive from many online sellers. A much better/economical shipping solution in these cases are the USPS flat-rate boxes. You can purchase (at full retail) a USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box for only $5.80. The dimensions are 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" and it will typically be delivered anywhere in the US in 2-3 days (including Saturday deliveries). Anything that will fit in the box ships for the same price.

I have found that many online sellers will not offer this much better choice to their customers because either they don't want to be bothered with alternate shipping methods or they don't want to negatively affect their volume discount with UPS. Their "one exclusive shipper" attitude usually changes rather quickly, however, when UPS has a major labor strike (as they inevitably do from time to time) and they have to go scrambling for other shipping methods to deliver their products.

 

UPS will pick up the packages at their warehouse.  It would cost Channel Master more to make arrangements with more than one shipper, and they would have to pass that extra cost on to you.  That is why they like to use one shipper.  It is easy and less time consuming to use one shipper, and therefore costs them less money internally.

 

This sort of thing reminds me of people who complain about the cost of something that they can make themselves for less money.  Well, they are not paying for the labor to make it that way, or the extra cost to ship the finished product.  Those things cost money, and therefore it is necessary that the customer be charged for it.

 

In this case, the more work they have to do in order to get things ready for shipping, the higher their prices will be.  There is no getting around such basic facts, so it is pointless to complain about them.  You should order all you want, all at once, and then they can minimize the number of boxes that things ship in, which will minimize shipping costs.  Customers who are too stupid to do this have only themselves to blame, and ought not blame the company for their own stupidity.

 

Channel Master is up front about how they do the shipping.  If people do not take the time to read such matters, it is not Channel Master's fault.  I am sure that there will be enough glitches and defective products to warrant real complaints, but many people have lost all credibility with complaining about things for which Channel Master is not to blame.  Given that they don't bother to read the financial details of getting the product, I am sure that many will fail to read the manual and such materials and will blame the product for matters which would have been solved by them using good sense and reading the manual.  Channel Master is not responsible for the stupidity of some of their customers, and ought not be blamed for such things.

Kelson likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Jack D Ripper is offline  
post #1279 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jeff_DML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
back on topic, any past TiVo owners who bought a DVR+ want to comment on how does it compare? Do you miss the extra TiVo features and more robust guide info?
Jeff_DML is offline  
post #1280 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Newbie
 
Barry Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What the heck is going on? Many of us are quite interested in the features and performance of this DVR - particularly those who are still using their toes and fingers to figure out how to get the DHG HDD to record a program in the right decade now that the clock is gone..... so, please, enuf about the shipping charges. Is there a High Definition Freight Forum available?

The DVR+'s that were available, evidently have shipped and many of us are interested in how they perform - and price of shipping ...not so much.

Barry
Barry Levy is offline  
post #1281 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

back on topic, any past TiVo owners who bought a DVR+ want to comment on how does it compare? Do you miss the extra TiVo features and more robust guide info?


Personally, the TiVo guide has the IQ of about room temperature even though it's Tribune Media Services. I haven't seen anything about the Rovi/DVR+ guide as pertains to features. I have asked about whether it is 15 days like tvguide.com and TVGOS or 14 days like TitanTV.com, or 12 days like Zap2It and TiVo. but no answers. Since the scheduler has been noted that it doesn't have a "new only" option I doubt there is a "new" flag in the guide.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #1282 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Member
 
DD24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
 


Personally, the TiVo guide has the IQ of about room temperature even though it's Tribune Media Services. I haven't seen anything about the Rovi/DVR+ guide as pertains to features. I have asked about whether it is 15 days like tvguide.com and TVGOS or 14 days like TitanTV.com, or 12 days like Zap2It and TiVo. but no answers. Since the scheduler has been noted that it doesn't have a "new only" option I doubt there is a "new" flag in the guide.

My DVR+ guide shows 14 days + approx. 5 hours, based on when the guide was last updated.  The guide appears to update once per day but I don't know if it only updates when the unit is on or whether it will update when the unit is off.  There is no "new" flag or any indication in the guide that the program is either new or a repeat.

DD24 is offline  
post #1283 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post
 

My DVR+ guide shows 14 days + approx. 5 hours, based on when the guide was last updated.  The guide appears to update once per day but I don't know if it only updates when the unit is on or whether it will update when the unit is off.  There is no "new" flag or any indication in the guide that the program is either new or a repeat.


Back when I had the Rovi TVGOS, it would update at 3am local (Eastern) for an entire day. I have a TV that has TVGOS via internet and it has a rolling 24 hour guide. I think it still does since I disabled it last year and the TV doesn't support a cable card. I still get a clock from Rovi, so something is alive. Thanks for the Rovi information.

 

I guess you could say I received TVGOS guide data at various times but a "switch" was thrown at 3am to display them all at once. The TiVo guide stops at 1pm, but "knows" when a program goes past that time.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #1284 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

back on topic, any past TiVo owners who bought a DVR+ want to comment on how does it compare? Do you miss the extra TiVo features and more robust guide info?
One thing to look for in the Rovi guide data will be how fast it handles last minute schedule changes. The next time the POTUS schedules a news conference the day before, how soon will the ripples through the evenings schedule be reflected in the guide data. Then does the CM-7500 only update once a day or is there anything to trigger the CM-7500 to do an unscheduled update so the new data is reflected in the DVR's guide -- i.e. does the CM-7500 "phone home" to touch base on a regular basis to see what's up. Alternatively, can a user force the DVR to update the guide data.

Since you ask for a comparison to TiVo, TiVo formally updates it's guide once daily but is always touching base with the server to see if anything is up it should attend to, like update the guide because of some last minute changes. I find that when I schedule a recording remotely from my desk at work, that event is in the TiVo's schedule within an hour, so it touches base quite frequently.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1285 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Member
 
DD24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24

Well, I just checked the Rovi guide again and it now shows one additional hour to what I saw just a short while ago but the last update time has remained the same.  So I will have to correct what I just said.  It looks like the guide only displays a little over 14 days but there must be more data than that in its memory.  The only other explanation would be that the guide was actually updated without indicating that it had been updated (but I don't think that is the case).

DD24 is offline  
post #1286 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
rcrach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

that would translating to 900 mA ... hmmm, still to high for standard USB port

seems to me it's too thick [15mm] to use it as internal drive for the DVR+

so, as an external with own power supply it could be good addition to the DVR;

would be nice if the drive is AV-GP type

The higher drain USB devices I've seen usually come with a Y cable and use 2 USB ports to supply the extra current. One of the main benefits of the AV drives is the use of the serial ATA commands. These need to be connected to a SATA or eSATA port. I don't believe those streaming functions translate through the USB protocol. That being said, they have other benefits like 24/7 operation and high MTBF. Since they're made for streaming video they sacrifice other drive functions like the more robust error correction and thermal recalibration of desktop drives. If the internal SATA port just needs the connector, the coupling caps for the differential data lines and some termination resistors, I would definitely use an AV drive internally. WD makes the AV-25 drive that would probably work if the internal port is functional.
rcrach is offline  
post #1287 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post
 

Well, I just checked the Rovi guide again and it now shows one additional hour to what I saw just a short while ago but the last update time has remained the same.  So I will have to correct what I just said.  It looks like the guide only displays a little over 14 days but there must be more data than that in its memory.  The only other explanation would be that the guide was actually updated without indicating that it had been updated (but I don't think that is the case).


I know exactly how you feel. Getting the data from "home" doesn't mean that data is pushed to the guide for display. The diags on the old Sony DHG would tell you when guide data was received. But nothing changed the fact that the guide gained 24 hours at 3am. When Rovi supplied the data, I could wake up any morning and see what was on two weeks ahead until 3am on day 16. Or in other words, Thursday at 7am I could see all of the following Thursdays and up to 3am Friday. If a program, like C-SPAN, went past 3am, it would still show on the guide until the end of that program. I miss that. I miss the clock more. Updates, like a POTUS speech, might get caught. Usually not. It was always hit or miss on holidays.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #1288 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post

The higher drain USB devices I've seen usually come with a Y cable and use 2 USB ports to supply the extra current. One of the main benefits of the AV drives is the use of the serial ATA commands. These need to be connected to a SATA or eSATA port. I don't believe those streaming functions translate through the USB protocol. That being said, they have other benefits like 24/7 operation and high MTBF. Since they're made for streaming video they sacrifice other drive functions like the more robust error correction and thermal recalibration of desktop drives. If the internal SATA port just needs the connector, the coupling caps for the differential data lines and some termination resistors, I would definitely use an AV drive internally. WD makes the AV-25 drive that would probably work if the internal port is functional.
citation, please
P Smith is offline  
post #1289 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Member
 
MattFromPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Got my DVR+ yesterday and hooked it up. Some notes:

-I put a splitter on the antenna coax cable so I can still have it connected right into the TV as well as feed the DVR. I don't see any loss of signal.

-I first hooked it up with no hard drive and no internet connection. I was surprised that the over the air programming info was actually pretty accurate. I am in Philadelphia.

-I am connecting directly to my router for internet access. It basically connected right up without having to change any settings.

-Plugged in the hard drive and it prompted me that it would format the drive and restart. It did that and everything worked fine.

-Only odd thing was that the internet status said disconnected for a while. I ended up messing with the settings and finally got it to see it and work correctly. Maybe it would have resolved on its own but I was impatient.

-I did a test recording and it looks good. Live TV basically looks the same as straight off the antennae. I left the setting as best available. I guess that means it is a straight pass through of whatever the station is broadcasting. As soon as you start watching a station you can pause and it will buffer. Pretty cool.

-Spent some time going through all of the menu items. The user manual could have come with some more information. I basically figured out all of the options by poking around.

 

Overall, I am pretty happy with this. I was following the Simple.TV for a while but a couple of things about that turned me off. The one thing I DID like was the option of watching live or recorded TV on my iPad. Maybe a future update will add that to the DVR+ but I am not counting on it.

Barry Levy and laridae like this.
MattFromPhilly is offline  
post #1290 of 4578 Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM
Newbie
 
adam_beers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if you can record more than two shows at once by recording the subchannels? On my HDHomeRun Dual, I can record all subchannels of a single channel at once if I wanted to, thus extending the 2-tuner limit by being able to record subchannels. I can record 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 7.1, 7.2 and 7.4 channels all at the same time, if I wanted to through MythTV. Is that not the case with the DVR+? I'm really interested in it. CableONE around here is not very good but it still costs a lot. The HDHomeRun-to-MythTV streaming is killing my bandwidth since I only have WiFi currently. The DVR+ would eliminate that.
adam_beers is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off