Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 447 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3082Likes
post #13381 of 13395 Unread Today, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Forgive me if this has been covered...this is a long thread!
We're looking into cutting the cord. We already have Netflix and Amazon Prime (thru a Roku). So going OTA for the rest of our content is attractive. We've also considered Sling TV. My biggest drawback with Sling is inability to record to a DVR. The CM DVR+ says it can get content from the internet, including Sling. Has anyone had any success recording from Sling via CM DVR+?

Indirectly Outta Compton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13382 of 13395 Unread Today, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 709
No; none of the Sling apps on any platform allow recording. The DVR+ can record OTA content (that's the DVR part) and also has some Internet apps, including Sling (that's the "+" part), but it can't record from its Internet apps. The app providers would never allow such a thing.

I think the best you can do with online apps is probably a so-called "cloud-based" DVR. I think PS Vue offers such a service. Cloud-based DVR services are restricted compared to physical DVRs like the DVR+ - I've heard the PS Vue DVR service will only store a recording for 28 days - but it's better than nothing.
post #13383 of 13395 Unread Today, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered...this is a long thread!
We're looking into cutting the cord. We already have Netflix and Amazon Prime (thru a Roku). So going OTA for the rest of our content is attractive. We've also considered Sling TV. My biggest drawback with Sling is inability to record to a DVR. The CM DVR+ says it can get content from the internet, including Sling. Has anyone had any success recording from Sling via CM DVR+?
We went from a Dish subscription to a DVR+, antenna, and a Roku with Prime and Netflix, so our set up is very much like the one you are contemplating. My understanding is that some of the channels on Sling and Playstation Vue have on-demand shows, much like the TV shows on Prime and Netflix, so the need to record them to time shift is greatly reduced. If your goal is to archive shows then the streaming services like Sling will be frustrating, but if you are like us, and our only goal is to time shift programs, the on-demand version is as good as recording it and watching it later.

My suggestion would be to go cold turkey and not sign up immediately for Sling or Vue (or the new DirectTV streaming service) and see how you do with the OTA, Prime and Netflix offerings. There's a temptation to go from your $90 a month cable subscription to $60 a month in several services when you can probably get all you need with a $10 a month Netflix sub. In our case, we already had Prime "free" because it saves us on shipping. We added Netflix for $10 a month.

My wife loves those cheesy Hallmark movies, and found an on-demand subscription channel devoted to them, Feel'n Good (or something like that). It was $24 a year. I liked watching certain segments of cable news shows and found that the free Roku channels of those cable networks had exactly the segments I would watch like the roundtable discussions, feature stories, etc., while most of my time would be spent advancing through the program at hyperspeed when I had recorded the entire show.

It was an "easy sell" to think of Sling's $25 a month service as replacing an $90 a month cable subscription but to be honest, my mindset has totally changed. Thinking of spending another $300 a year is a barrier now that I've seen I can be entirely happy not spending that. We still have to make decisions about what content we will watch because there's plenty for us with just the free, OTA shows we can time shift and the on-demand programs we can catch on Prime and Netflix.
post #13384 of 13395 Unread Today, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
We went from a Dish subscription to a DVR+, antenna, and a Roku with Prime and Netflix, so our set up is very much like the one you are contemplating. (Exactly) My understanding is that some of the channels on Sling and Playstation Vue have on-demand shows, much like the TV shows on Prime and Netflix, so the need to record them to time shift is greatly reduced. If your goal is to archive shows then the streaming services like Sling will be frustrating, but if you are like us, and our only goal is to time shift programs, the on-demand version is as good as recording it and watching it later.

My suggestion would be to go cold turkey ...and see how you do with the OTA, Prime and Netflix offerings.,,

...I liked watching certain segments of cable news shows and found that the free Roku channels of those cable networks had exactly the segments I would watch like the roundtable discussions, feature stories, etc., while most of my time would be spent advancing through the program at hyperspeed when I had recorded the entire show.

...We still have to make decisions about what content we will watch because there's plenty for us with just the free, OTA shows we can time shift and the on-demand programs we can catch on Prime and Netflix.
Actually, the only shows I would really miss are The Daily Show and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee. I may be able to get the major parts of those shows on You Tube.

Indirectly Outta Compton

Last edited by crabboy; Today at 12:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #13385 of 13395 Unread Today, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
No; none of the Sling apps on any platform allow recording...
So, if I cannot record/timeshift content from Sling TV, which is my better choice, CM or Tivo, has anyone used both?

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #13386 of 13395 Unread Today, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
So, if I cannot record/timeshift content from Sling TV, which is my better choice, CM or Tivo, has anyone used both?
Some information: Channel Master DVR+ vs TiVo Roamio OTA

More current: TiVo Roamio OTA DVR
post #13387 of 13395 Unread Today, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
A lot of good info. Thank you.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #13388 of 13395 Unread Today, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Crabby, I own a TiVo Bolt and a Channel Master DVR+.

The TiVo Bolt is a wonderful DVR, but sadly there is the monthly, annual, or lifetime fee. If one does not pay the subscription fee, the TiVo is just a brick. You can't even use it as a plain old basic TV tuner.

The DVR+'s best attribute is the fact you pay no subscription fees.

The TiVo guide is better (I like that it tells you the Season & Episode Number in the description, and I like that you get the description/synopsis at the top of the guide without having to hit the INFO button, like you do on the DVR+).

If money is plentiful, the TiVo is a better DVR, in my opinion. If you don't want that subscription fee, the DVR+ is the way to go.
post #13389 of 13395 Unread Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Correction: you cannot record. However, Sling does let you time-shift (pause/rewind) some channels. This is done on the Sling servers, not by recording the content locally. (Sling also has some on-demand content, as previously mentioned.)
post #13390 of 13395 Unread Today, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Someone told me a rumor that Channel Master is gonna increase the max speed to rewind and/or fast forward when using the Live TV Timeshift Buffer from x64 to x128 in a future firmware update. Anyone else hear this? Thanks.
post #13391 of 13395 Unread Today, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Correction: you cannot record. However, Sling does let you time-shift (pause/rewind) some channels. This is done on the Sling servers, not by recording the content locally. (Sling also has some on-demand content, as previously mentioned.)
How long does it make the shows available? Can I watch a show the next day, or later?

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #13392 of 13395 Unread Today, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I am honestly not sure which shows are available on-demand, or for how long. However, Sling does offer a 7-day "free trial" (by which they mean, you have to sign up, but you get your money back if you cancel within 7 days); and I'm pretty sure it's available on Roku. So you don't need to buy a DVR+ to try Sling out and see if the shows you want are available.

If Sling doesn't work out for you, try PS Vue on your Roku; you may like it better. Either way, you can base your DVR decision on your OTA recording needs.
post #13393 of 13395 Unread Today, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post
The TiVo Bolt is a wonderful DVR, but sadly there is the monthly, annual, or lifetime fee. If one does not pay the subscription fee, the TiVo is just a brick. You can't even use it as a plain old basic TV tuner.
And in so many ways, this statement sums up everything you need to know if you are weighing the options between the two.
midas89 likes this.
post #13394 of 13395 Unread Today, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post
Someone told me a rumor that Channel Master is gonna increase the max speed to rewind and/or fast forward when using the Live TV Timeshift Buffer from x64 to x128 in a future firmware update. Anyone else hear this? Thanks.
I hope you're right - it would be an easy and useful change - but I haven't heard a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
When I had access to the second set of channels in the Guide I started recording both 23.3 and 23.13, which is both Escape channels. I don't know if they were using the same tuner for the recording, but I did have two recordings of the same program going at the same time, with just a few seconds difference in time due to the time it took to change channels and start the new recording. So the question is, did the DVR+ use both tuners to do this, or was I using one tuner for both, with the second recording pulling data from the buffer?
Most likely it used both tuners. They may look identical, but 23.1-4 are on RF 23, while 23.11-14 are on RF 47. So there'd be no way to record 23.3 and 23.13 at once without using both tuners (and the DVR+ doesn't know the programming is identical).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I also tuned to 23.13, then hid all the channels in the second set. It didn't affect what I was watching, and after I changed to another channel I used the keypad to key in 23.13 again, and it did switch to that channel. I wasn't sure if hiding a channel disabled it, but I suspected that it didn't and this confirmed it. To my knowledge, there is no way to actually remove a channel once it has been found with a scan.
I cannot tune to a hidden channel, either by number or with the Channel +/- buttons. Check again - you may not have actually succeeded in hiding 23.13. Generally, whenever I've tried to hide the channel the DVR+ was tuned to, it wouldn't let me do it, instead instructing me to change the channel first. (I don't know if it's possible to do a timed recording of a hidden channel, assuming you set the timer up before hiding the channel.)

Which, BTW, is ridiculous: you have to exit, change the channel, then navigate all the way back to the hide/unhide channels menu to try to hide the channel again. Even my iView lets me hide the channel I'm viewing!

BTW, with firmware versions 124R and up (probably 123R too), there's no way to remove channels. With 115R and earlier, there was - but there was no way to hide them! Again, even my iView can do both of these functions.

Oh, and while I'm ranting - the DVR+ doesn't have a "favorite channel" list either. (The iView has four, although they have stupid names you can't change.) Of course that would be a tough feature to add now, since there's no Fav button on either of the remotes. The time to have added such a function would have been when they introduced the new "enhanced" remotes and 123R firmware to support them.
post #13395 of 13395 Unread Today, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Most likely it used both tuners. They may look identical, but 23.1-4 are on RF 23, while 23.11-14 are on RF 47. So there'd be no way to record 23.3 and 23.13 at once without using both tuners (and the DVR+ doesn't know the programming is identical).
That makes sense.

Quote:
I cannot tune to a hidden channel, either by number or with the Channel +/- buttons. Check again - you may not have actually succeeded in hiding 23.13. Generally, whenever I've tried to hide the channel the DVR+ was tuned to, it wouldn't let me do it, instead instructing me to change the channel first. (I don't know if it's possible to do a timed recording of a hidden channel, assuming you set the timer up before hiding the channel.)
You are correct on all counts. I went back to check it and saw that 23.13 wasn't hidden after all. When I did hide it and then tried to input it the tuner landed on 23.1.

Quote:
BTW, with firmware versions 124R and up (probably 123R too), there's no way to remove channels. With 115R and earlier, there was - but there was no way to hide them! Again, even my iView can do both of these functions.
And I am running 124R now, but I thought I remembered being able to remove this second set of channels a while back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread