AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

And what is the advantage of SATA?  USB2 is plenty fast enough.  Once you have enough speed, you don't need more.

Chuck

I agree with you however USB2 is rather out dated technology. Sure it appears to be fast enough for what the DVR + is doing. However with my PC I use SATA over USB2 for external drive connections. Most people if they had a choice and USB3 or SATA they would take that over USB2. The only reason to use USB2 is you have No choice. To me its a cost cutting option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

After having used the DVR+ for almost 3-days and having read most of the 1300+ messages in this stream, I, a potential cable cutter, am generally upbeat about the DVR+.  Here are my thoughts.

SUMMARY

Channel Master’s DVR+ (CM-7500GB16) has the potential to fuel the formation of a whole new breed of cable cutters. That breed is a large percentage of cable customers who are looking for ways to lower their cable bill without giving-up significant conveniences of their service. They realize that there might be a few short-term inconveniences, but they are optimistic that as more people cut the cord, those inconveniences will disappear. Although the DVR+ has many features that endow it with that potential, a few issues must be addressed before the DVR+ could lead such a rebellion.

THE GOOD

There are several things that a cable cutter would probably like about Channel Master's DVR+.

• It’s Small…  It’s as thin as a coax connector.  How cool is that?!?  It can fit almost anywhere!
  • Remote…  It’s thin, too.  And again, thin is cool!
  • Free Program Guide… If you are leaving cable to cut recurring costs, a free program guide is a huge benefit!  And it really is nice.
  • Good Tuners…  If you are leaving cable, this is a requirement.  Fortunately, the DVR+ has good tuners.  Even then, I suspect that over-the-air (OTA) reception yields such an image improvement that many cable cutters would not mind a loss of secondary channels nor would they mind an occasional flicker of pixilation.

THE BAD

There are a few things that a cable cutter might not like when moving from a cable company's DVR to Channel Master's DVR.

• Recording a Series…  Far and away, this is my biggest gripe.  With my cable company (TWC), recording a series is extremely easy and is extremely dependable.  When I configure a program to record by series, I can choose to record only new programs.  The DVR+ allows me to record by name, but the user interface does not explain what that means.  For example, if I record Bones, would I also be recording programs with other names (for example, “Bones of Contention”, “Chicken Bones”, etc.), programs in other time slots, programs on other channels and/or programs that are not new?  This is important.  A good DVR for cable cutters must record the new programs that they want to see – no more and no less.
  • Remote…  Although it’s thin, its layout is not as intuitive as it could be.  The remote for my cable company’s DVR is much more ergonomic.  And although a completely intuitive remote wouldn’t need it, my cable company’s remote is backlit!
  • Live Button…  I can press a button to pause a live program, but can I press a button to resume with the live feed?  I really don’t want to waste time fast forwarding to do that.
  • Reception…  No DVR will function properly without the appropriate antenna, but finding one and configuring it will always be inconvenient.  Anything more than an occasional flicker of pixilation could be a deal breaker to a cable customer.  Should the DVR+ come with an antenna?  Should Channel Master offer DVR+ customers a steep discount on one of their antennas?  Should they provide a more information about selecting and installing an antenna?
  • No External Clock…  My master clock is my cable company’s DVR.  Whenever I need to know the exact time, day or night, whether the TV is on or off, I can simply glance at my DVR to see a large, glowing display with the exact time of day.  If I were to return my cable company’s DVR, I would miss that convenience.  I don’t know how the DVR+ could replace that functionality, but cutting cable would result in that inconvenience.

THE IN-BETWEEN

Channel Master's DVR+ has a few things that some people might like and others might not like.

• External Hard Drive…  Some people will think that the use of a portable hard drive is a good thing.  For example, it allows them to select any size they want, to port it wherever they want, to upgrade when needed and to easily replace a defective unit.  Other people (e.g., technophobes) will want simplicity and will not want to be bothered by unnecessary connections.  Personally, I like this feature.  If I am going to own this DVR, I take comfort in knowing how easy it would be to replace the component that is most likely to fail.
  • WiFi…  WiFi is good, Channel Master’s WiFi adapter seems to be high quality and perhaps an external WiFi adapter provides flexibility for the future; however, consumers should not have to pay $40 for a $10 adapter when they are already spending $250 on a DVR.  They can already purchase functional adapters on Amazon.com for $10, so perhaps Channel Master’s WiFi adapter should be included with the DVR+ and its price increased by $10.  Even if you disagree with this logic, the concept has caused enough debate to prove that some people will continue to disagree with Channel Master’s current practice.

THE NICE-TO-HAVEs

Besides the items listed under "The Bad" (see above, especially "Recording a Series"), here are a few things that I would like Channel Master to improve.

• Menu Interface…  It’s slow.  Either eliminate the icon animation or fix it so it so the user interface reacts to the remote’s up/down events without waiting for each icon’s animation sequence to finish.  Currently, whatever key a user presses (e.g., up/down) during an animation sequence is ignored.
  • More Responsive User Interface…  As with the Menu interface, everything seems slow to respond.  It is sluggish.  Key presses do not seem to be buffered.  In other words, you can click the remote very quickly, but unless the DVR+ is ready to accept a click, it will be ignored, even once the DVR+ would ready to process it.
  • Scroll by Day…  Even my cable company’s DVR does not let me press a button to scroll the guide right and left by one day, but that ability would help a lot!  If the DVR+ actually has this capability, it is not intuitive and should be highlighted somewhere.
  • Signal Strength & Quality…  Although a channel’s Signal Strength and Signal Quality numbers can be obtained from the DVR+:
    •  They are not easily accessed (Menu/Settings/Technical Info/Signals & Network)
    • Channels cannot be changed from its display (which means that you must exit the display, change channels and click 14-times to redisplay the signal numbers)
    • The display times-out after 3-minutes
videobruce and Jim in Phoenix like this.
post #1353 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM999 View Post

THE NICE-TO-HAVEs
Besides the items listed under "The Bad" (see above, especially "Recording a Series"), here are a few things that I would like Channel Master to improve.
  • Scroll by Day…  Even my cable company’s DVR does not let me press a button to scroll the guide right and left by one day, but that ability would help a lot!  If the DVR+ actually has this capability, it is not intuitive and should be highlighted somewhere.

Scroll by day is available via the colored buttons.
post #1354 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
DBM999;
You need to cut and paste that and start your own thread, but with some editing to make it more generalized. It would make foe some interesting conversation. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1355 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 108
There are a number of posts that comment on how thin and small this DVR is. However I can't find anything that gives the actual footprint (length x width) of the DVR +. Can a current owner provide the dimensions?
post #1356 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

There are a number of posts that comment on how thin and small this DVR is. However I can't find anything that gives the actual footprint (length x width) of the DVR +. Can a current owner provide the dimensions?

CM says Chassis •8x10.5x.5 in (LxWxD) •1.14 lb, but that's just marketing info.

post #1357 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

See ruler for a visual measure.
post #1358 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

In response to post 1338:
Why do you find it difficult to delete a channel?
On remote press:
Menu
Settings
Tuning
Channels
This will bring up a list of all the scanned channels. Scroll down to the channel you want to delete, click ok and will open a box to either view or delete the channel.
Because on my TV set, once I've scrolled to the desired channel, it's one button push to uncheck a box, not OK, left, OK

Chuck
I have a question: how often do you have to delete channels? One of the annoyances of the Homeworx is that it frequently adds back deleted channels. My DTVPal does that much less often.

If the DVR+ doesn't have a habit of adding back deleted channels, I don't mind if it's a lot of button presses (since I'll rarely do it). But if I have to re-delete channels often, making that process complicated would increase my annoyance with it.
post #1359 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

And what is the advantage of SATA?  USB2 is plenty fast enough.  Once you have enough speed, you don't need more.

Chuck
I agree with you however USB2 is rather outdated technology. Sure it appears to be fast enough for what the DVR + is doing. However with my PC I use SATA over USB2 for external drive connections. Most people if they had a choice and USB3 or SATA they would take that over USB2. The only reason to use USB2 is you have No choice. To me its a cost cutting option.
I don't mind cost-cutting if it doesn't impede the operation of the device. In this case it doesn't, because my HDD enclosure has both USB2 and SATA connectors. I can hook it to the DVR+ with USB2 and hook it to my PC with SATA (not both at once, of course), thus getting the max. performance when hooked to the PC. I also have an external HDD with USB3; if I were to use that, it would negotiate down to USB2 on the DVR+ but run at the higher USB3 speed on my PC. Either way, the fact that the DVR+ uses USB2 doesn't hinder my HDD's performance.

But the DVR+'s choice of USB2 might be a problem when they come out with USB4, if it only negotiates down to USB3.
post #1360 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post

Quote:

See ruler for a visual measure.
It may well be the thinnest DVR. It's not the smallest footprint, though. My Homeworx has a smaller footprint (9" x 6"). Not that it's a big deal: to me, what's important is what it does, not how big or small it is.
post #1361 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I have a question: how often do you have to delete channels? One of the annoyances of the Homeworx is that it frequently adds back deleted channels. My DTVPal does that much less often.

If the DVR+ doesn't have a habit of adding back deleted channels, I don't mind if it's a lot of button presses (since I'll rarely do it). But if I have to re-delete channels often, making that process complicated would increase my annoyance with it.

Every time you do a scan, it adds back channels.

And here in the bay area we have the very annoying channel 1, which has like 20 subchannels, mostly low res or audio only and mostly in languages I don't understand.

post #1362 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Liked: 16
To answer JHBrant, once a channel is deleted from DVR+, it stays deleted unless you re-scan. I hated the constant need to re-delete channels every few days with the DTVPal.
post #1363 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Liked: 12

I've been a DISH customer since '97 and been spoiled by the excellence of their DVR's.  I've got two questions for the folks that already have a DVR+.

1.  About how much time does it take to do a skip forward 30 seconds and skip back 10 seconds on playback?  My DISH receive is almost instantaneous and I wonder how much of a change it will be.

2.  How fast is the "last channel watched" function? 

Thank you.  I already have an external 1TB drive (on my current receiver), an OTA antenna, and a close connection for ethernet so I won't need wifi.  I just need to get prepared for these other changes.

post #1364 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 02:45 PM

I too was dish user for years. I call swoosh back and swoosh forward. This is why would would never consider twc. They don't have it. I think due to negotiations to make it harder to skip ads.

Anyways my DVR+ is as instant as it gets.
Last channel is negotiated by touching BACK.

Sorta neat option you can modify the number of seconds for each function. I tried it but 10/30 still best for me.
post #1365 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 03:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM999 View Post

After having used the DVR+ for almost 3-days and having read most of the 1300+ messages in this stream, I, a potential cable cutter, am generally upbeat about the DVR+.  Here are my thoughts.

SUMMARY
Channel Master’s DVR+ (CM-7500GB16) has the potential to fuel the formation of a whole new breed of cable cutters. That breed is a large percentage of cable customers who are looking for ways to lower their cable bill without giving-up significant conveniences of their service. They realize that there might be a few short-term inconveniences, but they are optimistic that as more people cut the cord, those inconveniences will disappear. Although the DVR+ has many features that endow it with that potential, a few issues must be addressed before the DVR+ could lead such a rebellion.

THE GOOD
There are several things that a cable cutter would probably like about Channel Master's DVR+.
  • It’s Small…  It’s as thin as a coax connector.  How cool is that?!?  It can fit almost anywhere!
  • Remote…  It’s thin, too.  And again, thin is cool!
  • Free Program Guide… If you are leaving cable to cut recurring costs, a free program guide is a huge benefit!  And it really is nice.
  • Good Tuners…  If you are leaving cable, this is a requirement.  Fortunately, the DVR+ has good tuners.  Even then, I suspect that over-the-air (OTA) reception yields such an image improvement that many cable cutters would not mind a loss of secondary channels nor would they mind an occasional flicker of pixilation.

THE BAD
There are a few things that a cable cutter might not like when moving from a cable company's DVR to Channel Master's DVR.
  • Recording a Series…  Far and away, this is my biggest gripe.  With my cable company (TWC), recording a series is extremely easy and is extremely dependable.  When I configure a program to record by series, I can choose to record only new programs.  The DVR+ allows me to record by name, but the user interface does not explain what that means.  For example, if I record Bones, would I also be recording programs with other names (for example, “Bones of Contention”, “Chicken Bones”, etc.), programs in other time slots, programs on other channels and/or programs that are not new?  This is important.  A good DVR for cable cutters must record the new programs that they want to see – no more and no less.
  • Remote…  Although it’s thin, its layout is not as intuitive as it could be.  The remote for my cable company’s DVR is much more ergonomic.  And although a completely intuitive remote wouldn’t need it, my cable company’s remote is backlit!
  • Live Button…  I can press a button to pause a live program, but can I press a button to resume with the live feed?  I really don’t want to waste time fast forwarding to do that.
  • Reception…  No DVR will function properly without the appropriate antenna, but finding one and configuring it will always be inconvenient.  Anything more than an occasional flicker of pixilation could be a deal breaker to a cable customer.  Should the DVR+ come with an antenna?  Should Channel Master offer DVR+ customers a steep discount on one of their antennas?  Should they provide a more information about selecting and installing an antenna?
  • No External Clock…  My master clock is my cable company’s DVR.  Whenever I need to know the exact time, day or night, whether the TV is on or off, I can simply glance at my DVR to see a large, glowing display with the exact time of day.  If I were to return my cable company’s DVR, I would miss that convenience.  I don’t know how the DVR+ could replace that functionality, but cutting cable would result in that inconvenience.

THE IN-BETWEEN
Channel Master's DVR+ has a few things that some people might like and others might not like.
  • External Hard Drive…  Some people will think that the use of a portable hard drive is a good thing.  For example, it allows them to select any size they want, to port it wherever they want, to upgrade when needed and to easily replace a defective unit.  Other people (e.g., technophobes) will want simplicity and will not want to be bothered by unnecessary connections.  Personally, I like this feature.  If I am going to own this DVR, I take comfort in knowing how easy it would be to replace the component that is most likely to fail.
  • WiFi…  WiFi is good, Channel Master’s WiFi adapter seems to be high quality and perhaps an external WiFi adapter provides flexibility for the future; however, consumers should not have to pay $40 for a $10 adapter when they are already spending $250 on a DVR.  They can already purchase functional adapters on Amazon.com for $10, so perhaps Channel Master’s WiFi adapter should be included with the DVR+ and its price increased by $10.  Even if you disagree with this logic, the concept has caused enough debate to prove that some people will continue to disagree with Channel Master’s current practice.

THE NICE-TO-HAVEs
  • Menu Interface…  It’s slow.  Either eliminate the icon animation or fix it so it so the user interface reacts to the remote’s up/down events without waiting for each icon’s animation sequence to finish.  Currently, whatever key a user presses (e.g., up/down) during an animation sequence is ignored.
  • More Responsive User Interface…  As with the Menu interface, everything seems slow to respond.  It is sluggish.  Key presses do not seem to be buffered.  In other words, you can click the remote very quickly, but unless the DVR+ is ready to accept a click, it will be ignored, even once the DVR+ would ready to process it.
  • Signal Strength & Quality…  Although a channel’s Signal Strength and Signal Quality numbers can be obtained from the DVR+:
    •  They are not easily accessed (Menu/Settings/Technical Info/Signals & Network)
    • Channels cannot be changed from its display (which means that you must exit the display, change channels and click 14-times to redisplay the signal numbers)
    • The display times-out after 3-minutes

I have been using 2 Dish pals (not CM) for three years until the 3yo unit went south. Many wanted more storage without opening case. DVR+ has external HDD capability. Most liked the TVOS guide until it went away and we were stuck with psip which was incomplete most of the time, went forward 12 hours if you were lucky and had correct time issues for some. DVR+ has a supported free guide with 2 weeks of programming. More than a few wanted name-based recording capability. DVR+ has it. I have found that it schedules all current and future same name shows that appear in the guide. It adds subsequent ones as the guide is updated. Further if I schedule a recording (single) that conflicts because the two tuners are already scheduled at that time, it asks me which of the three shows I do not want to record. If the one I choose is a name-based recording it does not record that single instance only and records non-conflicted subsequent ones. Also you can edit a name-based scheduled recording to specify a search word that will record every title with that keyword (phrase too I would think) in it. And people wanted to see their show while in the guide. Voila! You can please some of the people...

That said I think it would better serve their intended market if all the setup were handled in a setup wizard which took you through each step (window) in the order required (network connection included) for successful completion. It would need to show and simply explain the valid choices. Keep the current settings access (most users likely not advanced enough) but automate the initial unit setup. And make it robust enough, and allow it to be repeated without consequence, to quickly resolve most, if not all, setup issues or configure for new hardware. And I would like the option for the guide to fill the screen. Transparency is good enough for me!

One last thing: in attempting to configure my wireless, I attempted a full default reset. Upon initiation, I got a message that said it was in progress - please wait. I waited and waited. I found the remote would not work so after 30 minutes I tried to initiate a power button reset since I cannot hold the remote power button and make it reboot at all. It rebooted (surprised me) and shut off. It worked like normal when I turned it on but it did not reset to the default setup state. I have done it and waited up to 4 hours - same thing. I found that in the reset waiting state, I can turn it off and on while it is in this state but nothing else has any effect except reset and pulling the power. I hope this is a FW issue. Anyone do a full reset successfully?
post #1366 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

I'm in the Philly area also and my clock is dead on. The clock may not come from Rovi (because that is only available if network is connected), but rather from a weighted average of all the stations' PSIP times as is done in the DTVPal sans Rovi. You may have one or two stations in your lineup that are significantly off (although they should be discarding outliers). To clean up the guide, I deleted all the c**p channels from my lineup, so mine may be working with a much smaller set of PSIP times. Those "other" stations don't put much stock in keeping their clocks correct (though all it takes is an internet connection to an NTP server), or for that matter complying with any other FCC regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86 View Post

Thanks, Frank. I deleted a few of the lower numbered channels I don't want, but I will delete all the ones I don't want and see if that makes a difference in the time.

To follow up, I took Frank's suggestion and deleted about 15 -- 20 channels that were very weak anyway and after a few hours, the time corrected itself. I guess that confirms the theory that the time comes from the PSIP broadcasts from all the channels kept in the user's lineup. Thank you again, Frank.
post #1367 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Yes, i miss the LIVE key....maybe someone here knows the unlabeled key which takes you to live broadcast. IE, I press pause on an episode, go do chores for half hour, come back to view for few minutes and decide I want to go forward to LIVE. Couldn't figure out how to do it.

Navigating the guide is simple using the color keys and page up/down.
post #1368 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestobulldog View Post

To answer JHBrant, once a channel is deleted from DVR+, it stays deleted unless you re-scan. I hated the constant need to re-delete channels every few days with the DTVPal.
Thanks. Doesn't sound too bad.

BTW, we found a workaround for the DTVPal: using parental controls, hide any channels that keep coming back instead of deleting them. If they're "in there" but hidden, it can't add them back again!
post #1369 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86 View Post

To follow up, I took Frank's suggestion and deleted about 15 -- 20 channels that were very weak anyway and after a few hours, the time corrected itself. I guess that confirms the theory that the time comes from the PSIP broadcasts from all the channels kept in the user's lineup. Thank you again, Frank.
BTW, for some that'll be a big improvement over the DTVPal, which includes even deleted stations in the PSIP time algorithm. We had a DTVPal user in El Paso who's time was getting fouled up by Mexican stations just across the border - he ended up having to weaken his antenna signal to just the right point where the Mexican stations wouldn't be picked up but the US stations were still stable.
post #1370 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 05:36 PM

I’ve had my Channel Master CM-7500 device for a week and a half now. Very nice unit! Works great... so far! Everything I was expecting. I also purchased a new Harmony 650 Remote as I don't like CM’s remote (i.e. too small in my hand). Plus I need to combine my other electronic components to use one remote finally anyhow (i.e. 5 remotes too)! Should had done this a long time ago!

When asking Channel Master for the device codes to my DVR+, their reply was… "Our DVR+ unit isn't compatible with any remote other than its specific remote. We wouldn't have any codes in order to get this working for you. Apologies for the inconvenience".

When contacting Logitech to when they might have the CM7500 in their database (Note: the 7400 listing won’t work), they responded… "Unfortunately, we don't have a specific date on when this model will be added to the Harmony database. In the mean time, you can use the original remote of your Channel Master CM7500 DVR+ to teach commands to the Harmony 650. You can use the instructions on this link on how to learn commands from the original remote: Answer ID: 35189.

So I setup my Channel Master CM7500 DVR+ remote teaching the commands to my new Harmony 650 as per Logitech's Article ID: 35189 above. Setup was a breeze! I used their "Cable/Sat" device listing (which is pretty much has the same buttons used on the CM remote). Then went in and added a few "missing commands" along with re-checking a few existing ones. Done! My CM7500 works perfectly with my TV and AV… and all with "one button push". And best of all... I now use only "one remote to control everything" I have! Plus, the Harmony feels much better in my hands than CM’s remote. Love both my new CM7500 and my new Harmony 650 Remote! Very happy camper here!!!

I've cut the cord to DISH after many years. Don't miss them a bit!
Jim in Phoenix likes this.
post #1371 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Was told it may be mid summer before the DVR+ will be available at Fry's or possibly Amazon. They are still catching up their direct purchase orders first, and the demand has been more than anticipated.
Then it'll probably be a while before I order one - but I got my set of powerline Ethernet adapters earlier today and they work fine, so I'll be ready when I finally do take the plunge.

The powerline adapters were cheaper than the CM WiFi adapter and way the hell easier than that PQI thing - you just hook them up, plug them in, and they work. No setup required (and no need to un-hide your SSID, in case anyone cares about that). But since I had to buy two, hey did cost more than the alternate WiFi adapters that have been identified, though.
post #1372 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsAuto View Post

I've cut the cord to DISH after many years.
That must have been a really, really expensive cord (22,000 miles long)! biggrin.gif
post #1373 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

That must have been a really, really expensive cord (22,000 miles long)! biggrin.gif
if he mean cut cord to dish's dish, then it would be no more than 100 yards wink.gif
post #1374 of 4771 Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Pressing the "Stop" button will get you back to live TV.
JHBrandt and wizwor like this.
post #1375 of 4771 Old 01-19-2014, 06:46 AM

I have been monitoring the reviews for the DVR+ on Channel Master's website. Looks like they are removing any "bad" review. Three of the 2-star rating reviews I've read are now gone. I haven't left a review myself. I keep watch of the reviews, though, to get "tips" and "suggestions" on how to get the best use out of the DVR+. I thought THIS thread would help with that, but it seems most of you would rather talk about the price of WiFi adapters and the packaging the DVR+ comes in.
videobruce likes this.
post #1376 of 4771 Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You have to understand, many here are not happy about CM's deal with using their overpriced Wireless adapter. Also, there is always talk about offloading recordings from the HDD to a PC for editing etc.
Conversations always go off track in any type of thread here and most other forums. I don't own one, but I'm sure if you ask a question someone that can will answer it. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #1377 of 4771 Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

You have to understand, many here are not happy about CM's deal with using their overpriced Wireless adapter. Also, there is always talk about offloading recordings from the HDD to a PC for editing etc.
Conversations always go off track in any type of thread here and most other forums. I don't own one, but I'm sure if you ask a question someone that can will answer it. wink.gif

It's like complaining about the price of ink for inkjet printers.:) 

post #1378 of 4771 Old 01-19-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't have to, I refill my 'tanks' with bulk ink. wink.gif

post #1379 of 4771 Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If anyone is interested in purchasing an external hard drive for use with their DVR+ (or otherwise), Radio Shack has the Toshiba Canvio 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive on sale for $59.99 with FREE ground shipping included (Model: HDTC710XK3A1). The sale ends on 01-25-2014. Use the "FIND IT NEARBY" feature on their product webpage to see if your local neighborhood Radio Shack store has it in stock. I found two stores within 5 miles of my home that had it in stock.
post #1380 of 4771 Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyNY View Post

I have been monitoring the reviews for the DVR+ on Channel Master's website. Looks like they are removing any "bad" review. Three of the 2-star rating reviews I've read are now gone. I haven't left a review myself. I keep watch of the reviews, though, to get "tips" and "suggestions" on how to get the best use out of the DVR+. I thought THIS thread would help with that, but it seems most of you would rather talk about the price of WiFi adapters and the packaging the DVR+ comes in.
Best to do a screen shot of print to pdf when you see something on the internet. On the one hand, it gives you evidence that it existed. On the other, it can help you correctly remember what you saw. I haven't been 'monitoring' the reviews, but I have been reading them as some are pretty detailed. I've only seen two three star reviews and both have been there almost from the start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page