Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 473 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3284Likes

post #14161 of 14174 Old 03-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SlingTV Cloud DVR

I just read an article dated March 7, 2017 about Slings bata cloud DVR. They state, for $5.00 a month on Orange or Blue you get 100 hrs per month. Currently only on Fire TV and Roku. More later. Anyone signed up ???????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14162 of 14174 Old 03-19-2017, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Not me since I own neither of those devices. (I can actually record Sling locally, but it's a complex and expensive setup.) If they get it onto Windows 7, iPad, or the DVR+ I'll be set.

Sling's beta DVR function was mentioned here, but it was back in Feb.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Sling has a beta on a cloud DVR function, but alas, it is for the Roku streaming players and Roku TVs: http://blog.sling.com/announcements/...-starts-today/

The [press release] does mention that the feature will roll out for "other devices later" but doesn't mention what those devices are. It evidently has 100 hours of recording time, then deletes the oldest program. I don't know if you can protect programs and have them not delete.
The thread often moves quickly; so a post like that would be easy to miss.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-19-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #14163 of 14174 Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I got my DVR+ working​ ok. But I don't understand why I get a blank screen on one channel. The channel works or it's blank.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

post #14164 of 14174 Old 03-20-2017, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutton2871 View Post
I just read an article dated March 7, 2017 about Slings bata cloud DVR. They state, for $5.00 a month on Orange or Blue you get 100 hrs per month. Currently only on Fire TV and Roku. More later. Anyone signed up ???????
I signed up for the beta on Roku when it was first offered. I use it regularly, and it works a champ. Great for those TCM films that don't make it onto the on-demand list, plus I can wait as long as I want to view the recording.

It's going to come in very handy when Fargo Year 3 begins on FX.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65UH8500
post #14165 of 14174 Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymakela View Post
I got my DVR+ working​ ok. But I don't understand why I get a blank screen on one channel. The channel works or it's blank.
Check signal strength and quality when it is blank. If either are too low, blank is the coin of the realm...
post #14166 of 14174 Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Check signal strength and quality when it is blank. If either are too low, blank is the coin of the realm...
The signal strength on that channel is 60 to 65. I'm going to try using a preamplifier.

post #14167 of 14174 Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
I signed up for the [Sling DVR] beta...I use it regularly, and it works a champ.
This is good news for me. I'm currently on PlayStation Vue and, while it is very good, Sling is just one station away (Fox News) and one fully functional DVR capability away from persuading me to switch, because of the lighter price tag. And, with Sling being available on the DVR+, that might mean no more constant switching on my HDMI router because it will all come from the DVR+, both my OTA and my subscription channels.

And I'm hoping that's only the beginning. As more and more services come on line, and as more and more streaming services adopt an a la carte package structure, I'm hoping to cut my costs even more (e.g. Youtube TV and Hulu Plus). All because I'm not fighting the long-term contract demon any more. It'll become more like buying my groceries every month rather than signing up for a multi-year mortgage; major change in television marketing.

Last edited by criggs; 03-21-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Clarification
post #14168 of 14174 Old 03-21-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymakela View Post
The signal strength on that channel is 60 to 65. I'm going to try using a preamplifier.

You were asked about signal Strength and Quality. You only reported back on strength. In many cases Quality is the more important factor in reception.
wizwor and Greasemonkey like this.
post #14169 of 14174 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D-H View Post
Oh well, at least I now know how to get past the problem of getting two DVR+'s to coexist gracefully (of course I would need to buy a "flat" remote -- hopefully they can be had as new, not used?!). Not to overemphasize Channel Master's apparent lack of quality, but I would LOVE to find some other brand of over-the-air DVR, one that is well thought out and decently engineered. Of course maybe this is an over reaction -- as said earlier, I wonder what percentage of DVR+ buyers have no hiccups whatsoever?
The flat remote is crap. Always finicky, bad layout, too small. Get a nice (and affordable) universal remote like the Dish 20/21 and teach it how you want it.

I will also chime in that external HDD is absolutely the way to go, and in my experience the [over-priced] CM WiFi dongle works great from long, obstacle-filled distances using, of course, a few feet of USB cable to elevate it.
post #14170 of 14174 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
The flat remote is crap. Always finicky, bad layout, too small. Get a nice (and affordable) universal remote like the Dish 20/21 and teach it how you want it.
Somewhat true, yet managing to completely miss the point: to control a second DVR+, you need a flat remote in order to teach the Dish remote in the first place!

The point wasn't that the flat remote was "better;" it was that if all you have is the enhanced remote, you're stuck being able to control only one DVR+ no matter how nice a learning remote you may have.
pachinko likes this.
post #14171 of 14174 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post

I will also chime in that external HDD is absolutely the way to go, and in my experience the [over-priced] CM WiFi dongle works great from long, obstacle-filled distances using, of course, a few feet of USB cable to elevate it.
If the problem is caused by the newest remote, not with the DVR+ itself, how does one program each DVR+ to make them appear to be unique to a universal remote?

John
post #14172 of 14174 Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D-H View Post
If the problem is caused by the newest remote, not with the DVR+ itself, how does one program each DVR+ to make them appear to be unique to a universal remote?

John
As he said above, you'd still have to start with the flat remote. I'd just not want to keep using it.

Might be able to get on eBay or one of us, here's a supposedly new one with the flat remote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Channel-Mast...YAAOSw4CFY0D42

One last response to your comment, yes I think it's an over-reaction. This IS "decently engineered", not stellar but well worth it as most of us would attest.
post #14173 of 14174 Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
You were asked about signal Strength and Quality. You only reported back on strength. In many cases Quality is the more important factor in reception.
That's definitely my experience. I can be pegging the meter with 100 signal strength. When it comes to signal quality I can get good reception with either high or low numbers in most cases. But rapid fluctuation of signal quality send the reception right down the toilet, whether it's fluctuating between 85 and 95, or 30 and 40. Based on that I have to agree with others who have said that while the tuners on the DVR+ are of good quality, they do seem to have a problem quickly adjusting on the fly to things like multipath.
post #14174 of 14174 Old Today, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
That's definitely my experience. I can be pegging the meter with 100 signal strength. When it comes to signal quality I can get good reception with either high or low numbers in most cases. But rapid fluctuation of signal quality send the reception right down the toilet, whether it's fluctuating between 85 and 95, or 30 and 40. Based on that I have to agree with others who have said that while the tuners on the DVR+ are of good quality, they do seem to have a problem quickly adjusting on the fly to things like multipath.
I've noticed the same with my DVR+.

I have a few distant stations that the signal strength is around 30-40, but the quality is 70-100 all the time.

On the other hand, I have a few stations that overlap - I get a very strong signal strength (up to 100 some times) with 0 quality.

The DVR+ is very good with weak signals with no multipath or competition from multiple towers on the same frequency - the same wire plugged directly into my TV (Panasonic) will not pick up the weak channels on it's tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread