Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 481 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3486Likes

post #14401 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Probably they are waiting to roll out DVR++ with ATSC 3.0 tuner and software. Maybe even a combo 1.0 and 3.0 tuner. Probably sell it for $399.
You're super optimist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14402 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
But if you are like me and only use it for OTA reception and don't care about streaming the point of sale cash they get is the end of the line.
That's the main reason I was surprised the Rovi guide was to be totally free when the DVR+ first hit the market. I figured that it would be free for a year or two, but after that we'd have to start subscribing to keep the Rovi guide. Otherwise, after the initial sale neither CM nor Rovi is making a dime on an (admittedly inexpensive) service they're providing to DVR+ owners.

I suppose you could look at that as an incentive to keep making/selling DVR+'s, but that can't go on forever, especially without continued enhancements.

The good news is, CM is apparently committed to serving the OTA market. I don't think their next product is likely to be a Roku knockoff. But it is getting about time for a new product. And since they don't really design their own products any more, I suspect they're looking for someone to start making ATSC 1.0/3.0 products that they can slap the Channel Master logo on and sell.
dishrag2 likes this.
post #14403 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
You're super optimist
It's not optimism. It's history with CM. They let the PALDVR ride off into the sunset and came out with the DVR+ which they are now letting ride off into the sunset.

Next up will be a new iteration of the DVR+ that will provide them with buyers looking for a DVR with ATSC 3.0 tuners. Their customer base is already in place and growing. The market for the device is there.

Makes perfect business sense for a company already selling OTA equipment and looking to make/build profit. I would not be surprised if it had a lot of the fixes we identified needing to be done for the DVR+.

Sure this is speculation on my part but it makes perfect business sense. They will be marketing antennas as ATSC 3.0 and FCC Repack tuned and a new iteration of the DVR+ for recording OTA content.

post #14404 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The good news is, CM is apparently committed to serving the OTA market. I don't think their next product is likely to be a Roku knockoff. But it is getting about time for a new product. And since they don't really design their own products any more, I suspect they're looking for someone to start making ATSC 1.0/3.0 products that they can slap the Channel Master logo on and sell.
So I guess the question is whether or not Dish/E* will be involved in the software aspects of the new and improved product. At this point I don't think they will. And if not, who else has the infrastructure to develop--and properly support the software that will be used for the next DVR? If CM comes out with a new product that doesn't address all of the issues that have been discussed here (and pointed out to CM) their new product will probably flop. It would also be nice if they incorporated as many of the features as possible that we have discussed here. Though I like the slim and compact profile, I would be willing to lose that if it meant gaining worthwhile features such as two additional tuners, additional inputs/outputs, etc. If CM has their act together they would have a wish list of what users want that they can present to whoever develops their new DVR. But also keep in mind that the bugs we complain about are related to the current software/hardware combination. If CM releases a new DVR, manufactured by a different company, and maybe software developed by someone else we are going to have to go through all this again, with new and exciting bugs to deal with. To that end, customer support and corporate responsiveness will be just as important as whatever product they put on the market.
post #14405 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

CM won't necessarily use Dish or E*. In between the CM-7000Pal and DVR+, both of which were made by E*, CM sold a different DVR, the CM-7400, made by a company I'd never heard of, Entone.

Basically, if they like a product, they'll try to make a deal to sell a CM-branded version of it. E* has been a good partner for them but they aren't wedded the way E* and Dish are. The only way we'd see a "DVR++" (i.e., a clear successor to the DVR+) is if E* decides to make one, possibly for a non-US market, and CM likes it. Otherwise CM's next DVR will probably be as different from the DVR+ as the CM-7400 was from the CM-7000Pal.

It wouldn't even totally surprise me if CM made a deal to put the Channel Master logo on some of the Funai DVRs that were announced a year and a half ago but never hit the market (although CM may want those redesigned to be ATSC 3.0 compatible - which may also be what's kept Funai from releasing them under the usual Philips or Magnavox brands).
post #14406 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
CM won't necessarily use Dish or E*. In between the CM-7000Pal and DVR+, both of which were made by E*, CM sold a different DVR, the CM-7400, made by a company I'd never heard of, Entone.
I can definitely see that happening. CM and E* have a symbiotic client relationship thing going in that both mutually benefit from the self serving actions of the other. But Dish and CM are more competitors that anything else. Every DVR+ that CM sells is another drop of blood that Dish can't get from the consumer.

Quote:
It wouldn't even totally surprise me if CM made a deal to put the Channel Master logo on some of the Funai DVRs that were announced a year and a half ago but never hit the market (although CM may want those redesigned to be ATSC 3.0 compatible - which may also be what's kept Funai from releasing them under the usual Philips or Magnavox brands).
I'd like that combination. If CM partnered with Funai, the next iteration of the DVR+ might even have DVD recording ability, like the current Magnavox MDR867H/F7. And if it also had multiple inputs and accepted digital cable like the Mag, so much the better. Of course, there goes that slim and compact profile if they do. But no matter what CM is going to do in the future, I doubt we will see any new product until this ATSC 3.0 thing is settles, and we won't be seeing any more FW updates, either.
post #14407 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
If address tr50.dishaccess.tv is blocked from your DVR+, the update nag should not appear. Use your Internet Browser to try to access tr50.dishaccess.tv. If the address is NOT blocked, the browser will display the message 'You are not supposed to be here'.

If the browser is blocked, than you should verify that the DVR+ itself is truly blocked, and the only way to do that is to use the DVR+ menu system to check for a Software Update (Menu, Settings, Technical Information, Software Updates, Check for Download). If properly blocked, the DVR+ should fail to make the connection and not offer an update! If it does find an update, or indicates that the latest is already loaded, then the tr50.dishaccess.tv address is NOT blocked from the DVR+. Either you've done something wrong, added the block in the wrong place or on the wrong router, or as some have reported, the router simply doesn't support address blocking.

I don't recall testing this in 132R, but my router is blocking access from 134R. However, if you've been running 132R for a long time, and it's just started nagging, then something likely has changed recently in your router to affect the block.

Of course, once the nagging starts, the DVR+ will eventually attempt to install the update without your permission. My experiments show that if the update is interfered with by unplugging the power while the download is in progress, when power is restored the update will have been prevented, with no ill effects, and the nag will go away for a time but will eventually return. If you cannot block the address, the only way to prevent updates is to disconnect from the Internet, which of course will affect the Rovi Guide.
Thank you, Pachinko. Of course, now, when I try to go to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, I can't get to that page where I thought I had blocked the site before. It's always something!

When I try 192.168.1.1, shows a 4-character hidden password, but when I click Login, it does nothing. When I try 192.168.0.1, it shows me my network user name and hidden password, I click OK, and it hangs there and goes nowhere. WTF?

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; 06-12-2017 at 06:15 PM.
post #14408 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Thank you, Pachinko. Of course, now, when I try to go to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, I can't get to that page where I thought I had blocked the site before. It's always something!

When I try 192.168.1.1, shows a 4-character hidden password, but when I click Login, it does nothing. When I try 192.168.0.1, it shows me my network user name and hidden password, I click OK, and it hangs there and goes nowhere. WTF?
Since you're trying to access your router, do I assume that the tr50.dishaccess.tv address is NOT blocked to the DVR+?

As far as accessing the router, hopefully you've written down the log-in information, and that's what you should try. If you haven't reset the default log-in, perhaps it's still in effect, something like "admin" for the user name, and either nothing or "password" for the password.

There's also another way to access the router, but it should be done ONLY if absolutely necessary, as it will reset EVERYTHING to the factory settings, and you will have to set it up again from scratch, including such things as the log-in information and the WiFi key. Refer to the documentation on the router, or click HERE for a generic version on how to do this.
post #14409 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 PM

Blocking the FW site

Quote:
Since you're trying to access your router, do I assume that the tr50.dishaccess.tv address is NOT blocked to the DVR+?

As far as accessing the router, hopefully you've written down the log-in information, and that's what you should try. If you haven't reset the default log-in, perhaps it's still in effect, something like "admin" for the user name, and either nothing or "password" for the password.

There's also another way to access the router, but it should be done ONLY if absolutely necessary, as it will reset EVERYTHING to the factory settings, and you will have to set it up again from scratch, including such things as the log-in information and the WiFi key. Refer to the documentation on the router, or click HERE for a generic version on how to do this.
Okay, I've used IE (Firefox wouldn't let me) to access that router page and then (per a YouTube vid) added the 2-254 range of IP addresses, which I guess I'd forgotten to do before. Here's my confusion now:

When I try to access tr50.dishaccess.tv using IE, I get this:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

But Firefox still gives me: You are not supposed to be here.

Also puzzling: Why would my PC be using the router to access web pages? The DVR+, sure, but the PC? Boy, I really feel dumb right about now! It's too dark now to look at what's connected to the back of the router. Oh, well. Maybe later. I'll also try again the Check for software upgrade on the DVR at a later time.

Last edited by SirCrow; 06-12-2017 at 08:50 PM.
post #14410 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Also puzzling: Why would my PC be using the router to access web pages? The DVR+, sure, but the PC? Boy, I really feel dumb right about now! It's too dark now to look at what's connected to the back of the router. Oh, well. Maybe later. I'll also try again the Check for software upgrade on the DVR at a later time.
Another consideration is who owns your router? If the router came from your Internet Service Provider you might have to contact them. If you bought the router and plugged it in, and never configured it, the password is likely the default password that came with it. If that's the case you should be able to refer to the documentation that came with it or find the default password on the Internet.

Your PC uses your router for all traffic on your network. A computer (and all devices connected to your router, including your DVR+) is assigned an IP address by the router, and that address is used to direct all traffic to the proper device. The router also has an IP address for your local network (your house, and any neighbors that are mooching off of your Internet), and another IP address that the router uses to communicate with everything outside your local network. So when you use your PC to access a web page, your PC's (or DVR+'s) IP address sends that information to the local side of your router. Your router than passes that information on to the router's IP address that communicates to the IP address on your router that communicates with your ISP. That IP address then passes the information on to your ISP's IP address, which sends it over the Internet to access the web page you want. The web page you want to see then passes its information back along the line to your router, which knows which device on your local network requested the web page. That information is then passed on to the IP address of the correct device, which displays the web page. So when your DVR+ wants to contact the update server it hits your router first, which checks to see if it is a blocked IP address. If it is, the router won't pass it on. If it isn't blocked, it does. Basically it looks like this:

PC IP address > Router's local IP address > Router's Internet IP address > ISP's IP address > Internet

Web pages you see follow that path in reverse, with each machine in the chain that handles traffic remembering the previous machine that sent the information. That's how a web page you want to see doesn't display on your kid's PC instead of yours. The only difference between your PC and DVR+ is that the DVR+ only wants to communicate with one machine (hopefully), i.e. the update server. So if you don't want your PC or DVR+ communicating with the update server you block that address. Likewise, if you don't want your kids using Facebook...

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 06-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.
post #14411 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, I've used IE (Firefox wouldn't let me) to access that router page and then (per a YouTube vid) added the 2-254 range of IP addresses, which I guess I'd forgotten to do before. Here's my confusion now:
You should not have to block a range of IP addresses, just enter tr50.dishaccess.tv into your router instead of the numerical equivalent.

Quote:
When I try to access tr50.dishaccess.tv using IE, I get this:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

But Firefox still gives me: You are not supposed to be here.
Maybe Firefox still has the web page in its cache, and is showing you that. Try refreshing that web page using one of the following methods:
  • Hold down the Shift key and left-click the Reload button at the right end of the location/address bar.
  • Press "Ctrl + F5"

Edit 1
: If your router is like mine, it blocks only what is entered. By that I mean, if I enter the alias tr50.dishaccess.tv, it only blocks the alias, it does NOT block the equivalent IP of 67.148.153.225, or the equivalent domain name http://stbfw.echodata.tv/. As such, if you block an IP in your router, enter the IP into the browser's address bar. If you block the alias, then enter the alias in the address bar.

Quote:
If I understand what you are asking about the PC using the router in this scenario, then the answer is that the PC is not part of the process when the DVR+ checks for an update. Checking tr50.dishaccess.tv in the computer's web browser is just a simple first check that the router is blocking the address, since you're on the computer at the time that the block is set up in the router. You do NOT have to actually test the block in this manner. That said, even if the web browser is blocked, that does NOT necessarily mean that the DVR+ is blocked (perhaps it's the wrong router, or perhaps the block was created for a particular device, and not the DVR+ in question), so the ONLY true way to test the block is to have the DVR+ look for an update.

Last edited by pachinko; 06-13-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added "Edit 1"
post #14412 of 14693 Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Referencing my notes, if IP 67.148.153.155 is part of what your range is blocking, the Rovi data will also be blocked, and I know you don't want that
post #14413 of 14693 Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Of course different brands of router/modems (and ISP's) have different ways to go about doing what you want and checking their website will give you more exact instructions.

Click the last link in my sig ["SHOW"] to see the (blocking websites) page from my ISP who also supplies my modem.

Specific "Log-On" for the modem is printed on the modem's Label including an exclusive (case sensitive) password. You may need a magnifying glass and penlight.

Choose to block all for "tr50.dishaccess.tv" (or any URL) will be best; so you can confirm from your browser.

Once your DVR+ has downloaded and stored that firmware file, it's too late for just a block and you must also go through a DVR+ Factory reset to dump that file or it can still flash the update.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 06-13-2017 at 07:46 AM.
post #14414 of 14693 Old 06-14-2017, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Once your DVR+ has downloaded and stored that firmware file, it's too late for just a block and you must also go through a DVR+ Factory reset to dump that file or it can still flash the update.
Once an update has downloaded, it quickly begins flashing EPROM, so I don't understand how a Factory Reset is possible? That said, while the download progress window is displayed (see image below), if power is removed from the DVR+ the update process is halted. When power is restored, the DVR+ forgets all about updating, the update nag counter is reset to zero, and when the DVR+ reboots, the version prior to the halted update is still in effect. However, unless alias tr50.dishaccess.tv is subsequently blocked from the DVR+, the nagging process will eventually begin anew (approximately 10 more nags before another forced update).

Please note that once the progress bar reaches 100%, there is a very short period of time before flashing EPROM begins, and once that begins you should NOT remove power (the DVR+ won't become a brick if that happens, but the download will begin from scratch when power is restored). You might as well allow the flashing to complete, and manually install the desired version afterwards.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 06-14-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Wrong image replaced with correct image
post #14415 of 14693 Old 06-14-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Art
Little bit off base: downloaded FW is storing in RAM, not into a file on HDD. So, simple reboot will discard the new FW image and process will start from beginning. Eg if that site is accessible, then you will have another round of update; if not, no more updates will happen.
pilotart likes this.
post #14416 of 14693 Old 06-14-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Little bit off base: downloaded FW is storing in RAM, not into a file on HDD. So, simple reboot will discard the new FW image and process will start from beginning. Eg if that site is accessible, then you will have another round of update; if not, no more updates will happen.
The update process will automatically restart only if flashing EPROM has begun. I've tested this several times, and know for certain that if the update is halted while the download is in progress, that the entire update is halted, and the FW before the update started remains in effect.

It's a totally different story once flashing begins. In that case, the download process automatically begins again when power is restored, until a successful flashing is achieved. However, an older version can be installed at this time using a thumbdrive and the Maintenance Reset procedure.
post #14417 of 14693 Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Video Trends Report

Here is a Video Trends Report (a PDF), prepared by "he who shall not be named" in this thread. It contains data on many trends, and may be of interest to TV viewers.
Jim in Phoenix likes this.
post #14418 of 14693 Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I could go in details of updating FW in EEPROM... but basic things are: a download happen when accruing full image in RAM, then it goes staged re-flashing process what begin from erasing FW (not bootloaders ! nor user settings) - that's why
Quote:
"In that case, the download process automatically begins again when power is restored, until a successful flashing is achieved"
observed...
post #14419 of 14693 Old 06-14-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is a Video Trends Report (a PDF), prepared by "he who shall not be named" in this thread. It contains data on many trends, and may be of interest to TV viewers.
Although intended more as guidance to pay TV providers than to TV device manufacturers like CM/E*, I found this tidbit interesting:
Quote:
The 48.9% of respondents planning to cut, change or switch pay-TV providers — or at least considering it — were asked if they would stay should
they be given new functionality to improve the TV viewing experience. Of this potential churn group, answers were as follows:

• More Integrated Video Solution: 34.3% would consider staying if all TV providers (such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video) were combined into one place where consumers can find something to watch, regardless of the service.
Sounds like the DVR+'s guide-integrated apps, doesn't it? Too bad none of the "big three" online TV providers mentioned above ever made it to the DVR+ guide's app section
pachinko likes this.
post #14420 of 14693 Old 06-14-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$249 Father's Day Bundle

For anyone shopping for a 16GB DVR+ (no internal HDD) and a WiFi adapter, CM is offering a "Father's Day Bundle" for $249 (today through June 18, 2017). You save $39. It's not a great deal, especially since you can get a WiFi adapter for $10, but if you need one now, it's better than nut'n!

Last edited by pachinko; 06-14-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: fixed typo
post #14421 of 14693 Old 06-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 376
@pachinko & @P Smith , Thank you for explanations of how updates happen, where they're stored and how to prevent/block them.

All I knew was from two years back when 124R was nagging me and Factory Reset stopped it.

Thanks to all the assistance here, I was able to remain on my beloved 115R until a new TV required I update:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post35881506 tells that story

I never knew where DVR+ stored 124R, and Factory Reset had been a simple task (with a DVR+ only a few hours old) to eliminate that Nag Screen. If you try that (Factory Reset) on a Samsung TV Nagging for a firmware flash, it will immediately flash and there's no way back to a previous version.

Modem blocks were left and my necessary update was from USB using "Maintenance Reset" method.

All is fine now on 134R except when you might want to see CC. Can't understand two different buttons bringing up the identical same function page that then takes six to eight more clicks to perform just one simple task.
Art
post #14422 of 14693 Old 06-15-2017, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
For anyone shopping for a 16GB DVR+ (no internal HDD) and a WiFi adapter, CM is offering a "Father's Day Bundle" for $249 (today through June 18, 2017). You save $39. It's not a great deal, especially since you can get a WiFi adapter for $10, but if you need one now, it's better than nut'n!
Anyone get goosebumps over this? I paid retail for my first DVR+ (got it day #1) then paid $175 each for three the following Black Friday. They were 2/$299 in 2015 -- shipped free. I figured they would go on sale for $99.99 at some point.
pamajestic and pachinko like this.
post #14423 of 14693 Old 06-15-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Wizwor,

When ATSC 3.0 comes out you will be able to buy them for $9.99. I have 3 I can sell you for that price with free shipping!
post #14424 of 14693 Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Wizwor,

When ATSC 3.0 comes out you will be able to buy them for $9.99. I have 3 I can sell you for that price with free shipping!
I doubt it. When ATSC 3.0 arrives, it will come into the home via something that resembles an hdhomerun which will stream it to other devices in the home. Channel Master will likely take that opportunity to implement some kind of whole home solution. Or not. Either way, they will put an app on the DVR+ that interacts with an ATSC 3.0 receiver/tuner/router.
post #14425 of 14693 Old 06-15-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But don't forget that Channel Master can't do anything to the DVR+ hardware (they'd have to pay E* to make the changes) or firmware (they'd have to pay, I guess, Dish now). So they may well decide it's easier to just start over with a brand-new 3.0-capable DVR from God knows who.

From what I've read at the ATSC 3.0 thread, I think we'll see some stations switch in the next few years, possibly as soon as the spectrum repack in some areas. Luckily ATSC 1.0 isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, at least for the major networks. So the DVR+ won't lose its entire value the day the first station in your market switches to 3.0.
post #14426 of 14693 Old 06-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But don't forget that Channel Master can't do anything to the DVR+ hardware (they'd have to pay E* to make the changes) or firmware (they'd have to pay, I guess, Dish now). So they may well decide it's easier to just start over with a brand-new 3.0-capable DVR from God knows who.

From what I've read at the ATSC 3.0 thread, I think we'll see some stations switch in the next few years, possibly as soon as the spectrum repack in some areas. Luckily ATSC 1.0 isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, at least for the major networks. So the DVR+ won't lose its entire value the day the first station in your market switches to 3.0.
That has never worked for them before. Why do people assume the CM/E* relationship is strained?
post #14427 of 14693 Old 06-15-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
That has never worked for them before. Why do people assume the CM/E* relationship is strained?
Dish/E* buyout, no new updates, still selling new units with previous FW version, no real news on CM Facebook page, CM public information staff seems to have been put in Witness Protection Program, general feeling of doom that the End of Days is here...
post #14428 of 14693 Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Besides, by the time any ATSC 3.0 stations are on the air, the DVR+ will be at least five and probably six years old. That's an eternity in consumer electronics.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love a DVR+ firmware update to stream video from an HDHR-like ATSC 3.0 router. And maybe it'll happen. But because of the Dish/E* deal, the development would have to come from Dish, who'd probably see little point in upgrading an "ancient" OTA product like the DVR+ (unless it meant more Sling TV customers somehow).

The good news is, even without an update, 3.0 won't turn our DVR+'s into bricks. For now, there's an FCC mandate that stations keep broadcasting at least their primary channel in 1.0. So whether you're optimistic or pessimistic about that DVR+ 3.0 update, our DVR+'s will likely be in use for years to come.
post #14429 of 14693 Old 06-18-2017, 08:30 PM

Spoiler!

Thanks, Pachinko, and all others who have responded to my posts.
Re the blocking of tr50.dishaccess.tv, I did the Ctrl-F5 and now Firefox gives me this:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
I'm not sure what to make of that, but I hope it means it's blocked. Oh yes, and I'll have to remember to have the DVR try to check for an update.

As far as the PC-to-router issue, it seems obvious from just looking at it now: the router's plugged into the modem, and that left nowhere for the PC to be plugged in but the router. Duh! I really am smart, I swear!

Last edited by SirCrow; 06-18-2017 at 09:01 PM.
post #14430 of 14693 Old 06-18-2017, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Re the blocking of tr50.dishaccess.tv, I did the Ctrl-F5 and now Firefox gives me this:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
I'm not sure what to make of that, but I hope it means it's blocked. Oh yes, and I'll have to remember to have the DVR try to check for an update.

Great, that looks good! Each router has it's own message, and my broken D-Link router issue a similar timeout message. My Netgear router is very informative about blocked addresses, stating "Web Site Blocked by NETGEAR Firewall". The real verification comes when you use the DVR+ to check for an update. Wish you luck!
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page