91Likes

post #1441 of 4527 Old 01-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakreb View Post

While I haven't tried it yet, I believe you can do a Manual recording that will record based on time, rather than Program Title.

Correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 4527 Old 01-20-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
user4815162342

Yes, to date those have been the only compatible WiFi adapters reported here. It is my hope that more will be reported allowing multiple options for new owners.
post #1443 of 4527 Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any idea why DVR+, after a power outage (or timer enforced shutdown), resumes to ON instead of Standby (bright blue LED)?
My PAL, after power outage terminates, performs it reboot, loads schedule, and turns itself to standby (LED off).

The DVR+ should remember it was on standy by at the time of the power outage.
Is this a missed design requirement or technologically too challenging.
post #1444 of 4527 Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 127
try reduce standby by dialing idle time to lower value
post #1445 of 4527 Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrdun View Post

I live in Montreal (Quebec). When I enter my Canadian postal code on zap2 it (a website presenting a TV program guide), I get the listings for all the stations located in Montreal, Burlington and Plattsburgh. This includes all the stations my DVTPal picks up,

Will the ROVI guide supply the same info? Is there an owner of the DVR+ living close to the border who can confirm?
I live in central N.Y. I have not been able to get full guide data for more than 1 market. Psip is only 12 hours on DVR+ guide although it goes out further on vizio tv so I think dvr+ only displays 12 hours of psip. If someone has a way to receive full guide data from more than 1 market please post how this is done.
post #1446 of 4527 Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevan49 View Post

I live in central N.Y. I have not been able to get full guide data for more than 1 market. Psip is only 12 hours on DVR+ guide although it goes out further on vizio tv so I think dvr+ only displays 12 hours of psip. If someone has a way to receive full guide data from more than 1 market please post how this is done.

Try to find a zip code that's in-between markets, and see if entering it will get you guide data for two markets.
post #1447 of 4527 Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM

Liked: 10
I tried that and it changed 68.1 fox to vudu. I had to delete vudu to view 68.1
post #1448 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
All my DirecTV DVRs have always defaulted to ON when returning from a power loss, so I do not see the DVR+ acting that way as unusual or even unexpected.

I have not ordered my unit yet, but I will definitely be getting one next month. I have been making careful notes, and it appears that the new device has plenty of potential but is not perfect out of the gate. How many brand new electronics are?

I suspect CM wanted to get this product to market close to the CES announcement, and they may have had to cut a few corners on the initial firmware and features to do so. I recall how poor the DirecTV HD DVRs were at release, yet eventually they outperformed my old TiVo model.

Even CM is apparently surprised at the initial demand, so I am hoping that this positive reception will encourage them to address the few concerns we have in future software versions.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #1449 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Liked: 107
It appears to me that most of these DVR makers are "SURPRISED" by the volume of buyers and it is because so many of the so called experts and marketing people have NO handle on how many people are either OTA, thinking about going OTA or experimenting with OTA.

It's probably why we don't see a 3 or 4 tuner OTA DVRs being brought to market as they have no idea of how much OTA recording is going on. They probably think we only get a few channels anyway.
post #1450 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM

For many of us in smaller markets that happens to be true. Where I live (near Louisville, KY) I receive only the network affiliates, a few independents and a handful of subchannels. It would be a very rare occurrence to have more than two desired programs on at the same time in my home.

Those of you who reside near large cities are going to have a different selection experience, but one DVR+ and a promised whole-home extender will serve my needs quite well as long as CM provides proper support in future.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #1451 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post

Where I live (near Louisville, KY) I receive only the network affiliates, a few independents and a handful of subchannels. It would be a very rare occurrence to have more than two desired programs on at the same time in my home.

Those of you who reside near large cities are going to have a different selection experience, but one DVR+ and a promised whole-home extender will serve my needs quite well as long as CM provides proper support in future.
Never underestimate the power of more tuners. smile.gif I don't even know how many OTA digital channels I pick up on a scan. The sub-channels are largely garbage and I'm an admitted HD-snob so I only have 8 channels listed in my line-up (the big 5, PBS, ION and another local channel that is only good for Phillies games). With 4 tuners I basically record everything we might remotely want to watch -- because I can do so without worrying about conflicts. I have over 40 season passes set up and most nights I have 3 tuners recording in at least 1 time-slot. On a very rare occasion I have had 4 tuners going. A lot of what we record turns out to be junk and gets trashed -- i.e. Killer Women, recorded two episodes, made it through 20 min of the Pilot, flushed the rest and killed the season pass. A lot of what we record is good but we don't have time to watch it so it gets transferred to the server and hangs around until the summer.

As to the promised whole-home extender, what are you expecting? Will you be happy with a network box that only provides the functionality of streaming content that is already recorded on the CM-7500 HDD?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1452 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 11:02 AM

Liked: 16
Whoa! No RF-OUT?

I am about to place an order for a DVR+ after reading this thread since its inception. (Gulp!) I'm ordering the DVR+ only from CM, no accessories.

I was writing up what I need and how to connect it all (an enigma to me) when I noted that the back of the DVR+ has an RF-IN for the OTA antenna, but it has no RF-OUT to send the signal to the TV (if I want to use the TV without the DVR+).

How does one get the antenna signal to the TV? (Perhaps one never watches TV independently of the DVR+, but with every other OTA recorder I've connected a coaxial cable to my HDTV from the recorder. The DVR+, of course, will already be connected with an HDMI cable.)

What other cables do I need for setup? I have an HDMI cable. Do I need a USB cable for the hard drive? Does the Seagate 3TB USB3 External Hard Drive at Costco come with a USB cable? (I plan to buy this HDD tomorrow.)

Thanks,
DawnSun

DawnSun
post #1453 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

Whoa! No RF-OUT?

I am about to place an order for a DVD+ after reading this thread since its inception. (Gulp!) I'm ordering the DVD+ only from CM, no accessories.

I was writing up what I need and how to connect it all (an enigma to me) when I noted that the back of the DVD+ has an RF-IN for the OTA antenna, but it has no RF-OUT to send the signal to the TV (if I want to use the TV without the DVD+).

How does one get the antenna signal to the TV? (Perhaps one never watches TV independently of the DVD+, but with every other OTA recorder I've connected a coaxial cable to my HDTV from the recorder. The DVD+, of course, will already be connected with an HDMI cable.)

What other cables do I need for setup? I have an HDMI cable. Do I need a USB cable for the hard drive? Does the Seagate 3TB USB3 External Hard Drive at Costco come with a USB cable? (I plan to buy this HDD tomorrow.)

Thanks,
DawnSun

As for the rf, a splitter (active or passive) can feed your TV with one leg and the DVR+ with the other. A passive splitter will lose some signal but is very inexpensive and doesn't require power. Some may say if you are going to use a passive splitter and find the signal is bad, that an amplifier at the antenna will be a good idea.

post #1454 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 AM

Liked: 95
Quote:
How does one get the antenna signal to the TV?

Just use a splitter from your antenna line to feed both the DVR+ and the TV.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+way+coax+splitter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=2+way+coax+splitter&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=shop&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p
Quote:

The Seagate STCA3000101 (the model recommended by Channel Master) comes with a USB cable.

Currently I don't see this as being available on the Costco.com site. http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=seagate
post #1455 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Liked: 107
Quote:

Whoa! No RF-OUT?

I am about to place an order for a DVD+ after reading this thread since its inception. (Gulp!) I'm ordering the DVD+ only from CM, no accessories.

I was writing up what I need and how to connect it all (an enigma to me) when I noted that the back of the DVD+ has an RF-IN for the OTA antenna, but it has no RF-OUT to send the signal to the TV (if I want to use the TV without the DVD+).

How does one get the antenna signal to the TV? (Perhaps one never watches TV independently of the DVD+, but with every other OTA recorder I've connected a coaxial cable to my HDTV from the recorder. The DVD+, of course, will already be connected with an HDMI cable.)

Thanks,
DawnSun

Yes one of the shortcomings and cost cuts they took with this device. A design flaw we have to live with. Others may be OK with it but like you I would have liked to have had RF out. Even a $40 IVIEW 3500 or HomeWorX has RF out. Imagine that.
post #1456 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Reply to wiscojim: I have a monthly in-store Costco coupon for this HDD that expires on January 26. I hope the HDD wil be in stock when I go tomorrow.

Reply to JoeKustra: I suppose I'll need to have a short coaxial cable to connect one leg of the splitter to the DVR+. Turns out I do have a splitter. Gold plated! Labeled "CE S02-02-KG, 5-2400MHz, 2 WAY SPLITTER. An arrow runs from each OUT leg toward the IN leg labeled "DC PASS." Will that one work?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

As for the rf, a splitter (active or passive) can feed your TV with one leg and the DVR+ with the other. A passive splitter will lose some signal but is very inexpensive and doesn't require power. Some may say if you are going to use a passive splitter and find the signal is bad, that an amplifier at the antenna will be a good idea.

DawnSun
post #1457 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

As to the promised whole-home extender, what are you expecting? Will you be happy with a network box that only provides the functionality of streaming content that is already recorded on the CM-7500 HDD?

I could live with that if the price is low, but ideally I would like to be able to control the recorder from the extender. However, other than deleting existing recordings that is something even my current DirecTV whole-home system cannot do.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #1458 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 PM

Regarding the inability to get Extended Program Guide for multiple markets, I was curious if the following work-around is a possibility ...could you just switch zip codes periodically? Does it retain the full two-week guide when you change zip codes or does the former program listing purge the 2 week guide data and load PSIP only for the formerly selected zip code?
post #1459 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Has anyone tried hooking two separate external drives into the two available USB ports? Curious if you could point certain programs to one drive and others to another. If it is possible or ever became possible with a firmware update, that would be another small argument for having an internal wireless adapter. I've been trying to follow this thread and have not noticed this topic yet so sorry if it's been covered.
post #1460 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Reply to JoeKustra: I suppose I'll need to have a short coaxial cable to connect one leg of the splitter to the DVD+. Turns out I do have a splitter. Gold plated! Labeled "CE S02-02-KG, 5-2400MHz, 2 WAY SPLITTER. An arrow runs from each OUT leg toward the IN leg labeled "DC PASS." Will that one work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Probably. I don't use any passive splitters. My main system uses 3 DVRs, so I have a Shack 1 to 4 active splitter. If you have a signal diagnostic level on the TV, check it before and after. Digital is pretty forgiving for signal levels. A short piece of RG-6 will be needed.

post #1461 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherClone View Post

Has anyone tried hooking two separate external drives into the two available USB ports? Curious if you could point certain programs to one drive and others to another. If it is possible or ever became possible with a firmware update, that would be another small argument for having an internal wireless adapter. I've been trying to follow this thread and have not noticed this topic yet so sorry if it's been covered.
if you follow the thread you should know I did that test
post #1462 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I just came over here form the TiVo Roamio thread and after browsing the last 20 pages I have a couple similar questions as I had there.

I see somewhat vague comments about the tuners being better than the DTVPal which I have. The tuners in the DTVPal function identically to my Sony TV. Sensitivity is not an issue for me since that's set at my antenna mounted preamps but multipath is a big issue. The DTVPal is not bad but a couple dB higher SNR on the same signals would be a big deal for me. Has anyone seen better multipath performance?

I understand that the guide is zip code based and other out-of-market stations use PSIP data where it exists. Does the DVR+ have an Add Channel Scan and/or Add a Channel like the DTVPal? I can receive stations from 3 different markets/directions but highly directional antennas prevent them from being scanned in all at once. Any issues with adding channels?

I'm not unhappy with the DTVPal but the loss of TVGOS and reliance on PSIP for guide data isn't so good. Also I'd like not to have the 1-to-2 recording issue. There's also another set of circumstances that result in a skipped recording that I haven't quite pinned down.
post #1463 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone seen better multipath performance?
for sure it's not that easy for regular user; it will require time, equipment and effort to do such measuring (knowing that tests from a job)
I would recommend just compare the part of tuner's chip specs.
post #1464 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

for sure it's not that easy for regular user; it will require time, equipment and effort to do such measuring (knowing that tests from a job)
I would recommend just compare the part of tuner's chip specs.

I think the chip specs are in range of delay that they handle so even if you knew what chipset was used and could find the specs it would be difficult to apply to any situation. Without sophisticated equipment no one knows what their delay times are.

The easiest way is to do it with no test equipment is to use a station of reasonable strength but that's near the digital cliff because of multipath and then switch tuners to see which one shows a higher SNR. Using that method I determined that my Sony TV, DTVPal DVR and a MyGoTV were within a couple tenths of a dB of each other. I also determined that the Dish VIP-622 OTA tuner is 3-4 dB worse which makes it useless for OTA at my location.
post #1465 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Man, this thread moves much too fast! I'm trying to catch up and I read ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

The DTVPal is an excellent DVR. The loss of the TVGOS guide was a disappointment, but not a game changer for me. I would not recommend upgrading.

I don't see the DVR+ interface as less intuitive than the DTVPal interface having used both. The CM7500 tuners are much better than the excellent DTVPal tuners. The external disks are a HUGE plus. The DTVPal comes with a 320g disk. The DVR+ is known to work with a 4t disk. They are easy to upgrade. You can swap then in and out easily. Let me say that again YOU CAN SWAP THEM IN AND OUT EASILY. That means you can have an everyday disk for ad hoc recordings and a 'keepers' disk for your library. The PSIP guide on the DVR+ is MUCH better than the DTVPal PSIP guide. If the DVR+ is abandoned by CM or Rovi, you will still have an excellent standalone DVR.
I mostly agree, but the highlighted claim needs a lot more support. Both the DTVPal and the DVR+ provide a grid-based PSIP guide that goes out much further than I've seen any station broadcast. The DVR+ guide is somewhat more attractive as a semi-transparent overlay, but aside from cosmetics, how can either guide possibly be "MUCH" better than the other?

Please explain the difference you see, with screen shots if needed. Don't just throw a statement like that out and leave us all wondering!
post #1466 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

Sensitivity is not an issue for me since that's set at my antenna mounted preamps but multipath is a big issue. The DTVPal is not bad but a couple dB higher SNR on the same signals would be a big deal for me. Has anyone seen better multipath performance?

I previously reported very good tuner performance for the DVR+ but now after having used it for 2 weeks I have seen a problem receiving one of my channels that I believe is due to a multipath issue.  About 3-4 times in the past 2 weeks one of my channels can't be received by the DVR+ and all you see is a black screen.  If you do a channel rescan, the problem channel isn't recognized.  This typically occurs when there are somewhat windy conditions in the area so that movement of the trees around the house could affect the signal.

When the DVR+ has shown this problem I have disconnected the antenna and connected it directly to my TV and MDR513 and both of these don't show any pixelation or drop outs.  Eventually, after several hours, the DVR+ starts receiving the channel again.  What's interesting is that typically this channel shows 100 for signal strength and 100 for quality.  When it stops receiving the channel, the signal strength goes back and forth between 100 and 0 while the quality stays at 0.

Almost all of the local channels in my area broadcast their signals from the same tower which is 14 miles away but the one channel that has a problem uses significantly less power (80 kW) than all of the others.  This is probably part of the problem.

post #1467 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 03:36 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Man, this thread moves much too fast! I'm trying to catch up and I read ....
I mostly agree, but the highlighted claim needs a lot more support. Both the DTVPal and the DVR+ provide a grid-based PSIP guide that goes out much further than I've seen any station broadcast. The DVR+ guide is somewhat more attractive as a semi-transparent overlay, but aside from cosmetics, how can either guide possibly be "MUCH" better than the other?

Please explain the difference you see, with screen shots if needed. Don't just throw a statement like that out and leave us all wondering!

I would tend to agree since the PSIP data is all produced by the individual stations. There can not really be much difference in actual data. There is still the one aspect of the DTV-PAL guide whereby the data seems to come in and out over time. I have not had the DVR+ long enough to see if the same thing happens with the DVR+ guide. As a matter of personal preference I like the old layout better since it is possible to see more information at a glance and it seems to be easier to move about the old PAL guide. Maybe because I am use to the mechanism, I find it easier to use the old guide for basic information and recording so far. rolleyes.gif
post #1468 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM

Liked: 31
"...I like the old layout better since it is possible to see more information at a glance and it seems to be easier to move about the old PAL guide. Maybe because I am use to the mechanism, I find it easier to use the old guide for basic information and recording so far..."

You are not alone on this opinion. Other new DVR+ owners have reported this opinion - that the reduced displayed guide data and less capable guide manipulation tools leave a feeling of disappointment. This is part of the loss of intuitive UI features/functions that I referred to previously. I don't personally consider these "Wish List" items, but features of a good UI design.
post #1469 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

When it stops receiving the channel, the signal strength goes back and forth between 100 and 0 while the quality stays at 0.

Almost all of the local channels in my area broadcast their signals from the same tower which is 14 miles away but the one channel that has a problem uses significantly less power (80 kW) than all of the others.  This is probably part of the problem.

I don't know exactly what's going on here but that doesn't sound like multipath although I have seen a situation where moving trees caused signal breakup on just one channel. In that case no tuner was able to receive it.

80KW at 14 miles should be knocking the receiver off the table. I have a 60KW UHF station 14 miles away and it gives me a noise margin of 69 dB! I have to use a 25 dB notch filter on it to keep it from overloading the TV and messing up other stations. Another station at the same site with 250 watts produces a noise margin of 43 dB.
post #1470 of 4527 Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

I don't know exactly what's going on here but that doesn't sound like multipath although I have seen a situation where moving trees caused signal breakup on just one channel. In that case no tuner was able to receive it.

80KW at 14 miles should be knocking the receiver off the table. I have a 60KW UHF station 14 miles away and it gives me a noise margin of 69 dB! I have to use a 25 dB notch filter on it to keep it from overloading the TV and messing up other stations. Another station at the same site with 250 watts produces a noise margin of 43 dB.

On windy days trees have been known to cause "short delay multipath" problems, especially for UHF signals:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/glossaryG.html#multipath

And I have previously seen problems with my other TV tuners on windy days but that was when I was using a pretty poor antenna.  Most of the other stations here use 1000 kW and I don't ever see a problem with them.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page