118Likes

post #1891 of 4725 Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I'm not saying it ethernet over powerline can't be used - I'm just saying that some products don't play well with each other over the same powerlines. If you aren't using said products - you shouldn't have any real problems.

What products don't "play well with each other then"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 4725 Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

My DVR+ has been pretty physically inaccessible for a few days.  We are getting a new kitchen floor and all the kitchen furniture has been piled in front of it.  We moved the furniture back last night, and this morning I went to turn the DVR+ on, and it would not turn on, either with the remote or the power button on the front.  It just stayed with a dim blue light.  I pulled the power cord out of the back for 10 seconds, plugged it back in, and it booted up from scratch.  It did record as scheduled at 8pm Friday and 5pm last night (Saturday), however it may well have been locked up Saturday morning when I tried to turn it on, and chalked it up to all the stuff in front of it.

Chuck

It did it again. It would not turn on either with the remote or the button on the front.  I did try press and hold on the front button this time.  It did record as scheduled at 8pm last night and 6pm tonight.  One thing that may have been significant is that we were getting round two of the new floors today, and I had to briefly disconnect the coax from the cable modem several times today so they could replace the baseboard that the coax pops out through..  I may have also power cycled the wireless router a couple of times.  Unplugging the DVR+ power supply from the wall for 10 seconds brought it back to life.

Chuck

post #1893 of 4725 Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"...What is the answer?..."

There is no answer, per se - only options for the user to consider and make a personal decision as to which approach satisfies best your requirements/needs. For instance, the least expensive and trouble free approach is direct Ethernet connection through cable. If this approach is not practical, then one of the other approaches is needed to access your WiFi system. Here are some things to consider - USB vs. Buss connected WiFi - USB delivers much less data over the same period of time as Buss connected. If your equipment only provides a USB adapter, then you are dependent upon the FW driver provided by either the equipment mfg. or adapter mfg. - in the case of CM, the FW101R/102R has some bugs which may or may not be resolved in the future. So, it's your decision whether to play with it and hope that you can manipulate a stable connection. This can be the next lowest cost approach, however, if cost is a primary consideration.

Ethernet connected devices which will connect to your current WiFi system. The advantages of this approach is that everything that has an Ethernet port can accept any Ethernet device as it is a long established international standard - the device looks like an Ethernet cable to your equipment and the radiated device (WiFi access Point such as the Asus EA-N66R) output looks like a piece of WiFi equipment to your network and no special drivers are required. In the case of Powerline devices, you should keep all of these from the same mfg. - don't mix different device mfg., and a minimum of two devices are required for one to four equipment connections to your current WiFi network. Compatibility (mixed device mfg,) has been a problem. Using an additional Router as a multi-port Access Point also is an excellent approach - same Ethernet and Access Point advantages, with the only minor down side of searching in the User Manual for instructions on how to setup/reconfigure the Router settings to allow only Access Point operation.

Again, no definite answer - just options to consider and decide which is best for you and your environment. The choice is yours to make.
post #1894 of 4725 Old 02-09-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you Donald - that is sort of what I was alluding to. There are lots of approaches each having its own plusses and minuses, depending on what other equipment and the budget.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #1895 of 4725 Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The market for the DVR+ probably doesn't know what Wi-Fi is or care about having a guide, either. People who have been exposed to TiVo or cable DVRs expect everything to happen automatically, but the theoretical target market of OTA-only people who are upgrading from a VCR probably doesn't even know how much guide technology has advanced or that such a thing as name-based recording even exists. I doubt those people would bother with DVR Internet connectivity in the first place. This is a forum for enthusiasts, and we offer solutions for enthusiasts to get the most out of their A/V technology. wink.gif
That's pretty condescending. The perspective that the DVR+ channel guide -- even the PSIP version -- is acceptable is a valid one. Just because one has WiFi doesn't mean everything in the house needs to be connected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1896 of 4725 Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I decided to place a order for one of these. I've being using a 3500ii, but the one day, per channel guide just isn't flexible enough for me. For $30 you really can't complain, but feel its too much of a compromise. Hopefully they come back in stock on Feb 14th and begin shipping again.
post #1897 of 4725 Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:

It did it again. It would not turn on either with the remote or the button on the front.  I did try press and hold on the front button this time.  It did record as scheduled at 8pm last night and 6pm tonight.  One thing that may have been significant is that we were getting round two of the new floors today, and I had to briefly disconnect the coax from the cable modem several times today so they could replace the baseboard that the coax pops out through..  I may have also power cycled the wireless router a couple of times.  Unplugging the DVR+ power supply from the wall for 10 seconds brought it back to life.

Chuck

I reported this to Channel Master tonight.

Has anybody else seen this symptom?

post #1898 of 4725 Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The recommended 3TB drive is again on sale.

Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STCA3000101) for $94.99 Shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829THQE/
post #1899 of 4725 Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:

I reported this to Channel Master tonight.

Has anybody else seen this symptom?

Channel Master had me do a factory reset.  The factory reset was completed OK.  Time will tell whether it fixed my problem.

Chuck

post #1900 of 4725 Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hmmm, I switched the order of the reviews (on CM's website) from highest (rating) to lowest to lowest to highest. It seems the lowest ratings are all three stars now. The two-star reviews are gone. I remember reading a two-star review from someone who complained about not being able to use component cable because the DVR+ is HDMI ONLY. THAT review is gone. I sent my DVR+ back after having it for only a week. I've gone back to using my DTVPal. IMO, the DTVPal is just a better DVR. The clock is 4 minutes fast, but I'm OK with that.
post #1901 of 4725 Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I never trust reviews on the maker's website. The fact that they are editing out the bad reviews is very telling about the integrity of these folks and the product they are selling! Goes back to how they handled the whole rollout of the DVR(-).
post #1902 of 4725 Old 02-11-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

I never trust reviews on the maker's website. The fact that they are editing out the bad reviews is very telling about the integrity of these folks and the product they are selling! Goes back to how they handled the whole rollout of the DVR(-).

I agree, it's poor practice to delete ratings. If the seller wants to respond to poor ratings(like Monoprice does on occasion) thats OK though. Personally I think giving the CM+ a very low rating(1 or 2 stars) because it lacks something like component output isn't really fair, I mean you should have known that before you ordered it. I'd agree with dropping your rating 1 star because of lack of outputs(if you cared about those outputs) but not more.

post #1903 of 4725 Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Question to Aero 1:

the thread named as "Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread"
- the word "thread" is not informative at all
- other word "Owners" should be not applicable to such thread and sounds too restrictive, plus in reality it's meaningless

Perhaps name it as "Channel Master DVR+ aka K77" would follow good trend of naming threads after TR-50 aka DtvpalDVR and CM7000pal DVR
post #1904 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Channel Master had me do a factory reset.  The factory reset was completed OK.  Time will tell whether it fixed my problem.

Chuck

Twelve hours later, it was hung up again.

I've switched from wireless to a jury-rigged wired ethernet connection, and put both the DVR+ and the hard drive on a UPS I had laying around to eliminate power as a possible source of the problem.  We'll see what happens.

I guess nobody else has had this happen.

Chuck

post #1905 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Chuck, I have one at a cabin where I am only there for the weekends. When I turned my unit on Friday night, it did fire up, but I could not do anything else with it. It was toally locked up. I turned it off, and unplugged the power supply just as you did. Turned it back on, and it was fine the rest of the weekend... I will see how it does when I get back this Friday. One thing I found however is I was only getting one day of guide data. We are using a Verizon wi-fi hotspot as the cabin is in a rural area and we are not able to get cable internet nor even DSL. I traced it down to the hotspit was turned off. No clocks were blinking so it wasn't a power failure. No one claimed responsibility for turning it off, so maybe just a power glitch??? Don't know, but just thought I would throw that in for good measure...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #1906 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

Chuck, I have one at a cabin where I am only there for the weekends. When I turned my unit on Friday night, it did fire up, but I could not do anything else with it. It was toally locked up. I turned it off, and unplugged the power supply just as you did. Turned it back on, and it was fine the rest of the weekend... I will see how it does when I get back this Friday. One thing I found however is I was only getting one day of guide data. We are using a Verizon wi-fi hotspot as the cabin is in a rural area and we are not able to get cable internet nor even DSL. I traced it down to the hotspit was turned off. No clocks were blinking so it wasn't a power failure. No one claimed responsibility for turning it off, so maybe just a power glitch??? Don't know, but just thought I would throw that in for good measure...

That sounds similar, esp. given that mine may have been provoked by turning off the wireless router to reroute some cables.

BTW, at my house I can't get DSL but I can get cable internet.

Thanks

Chuck

post #1907 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:

I've switched from wireless to a jury-rigged wired ethernet connection, and put both the DVR+ and the hard drive on a UPS I had laying around to eliminate power as a possible source of the problem.  We'll see what happens.

Chuck

Chuck.. just to give you some feedback.

I'm not having any problems with mine.

I have been using wireless with an off brand wifi adapter.

The DVR+ has been updating every night about the same time.

But... I never have never shut the power off to the DVR+.

The wireless has been turned on and off several times, as I was working on some wiring in my central control box.

The wireless has connected back up with the DVR+ again by itself.

post #1908 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just got e-mail from Channel Master that my DVR+ shipped (so, I assume they must be back in stock). This thread has gotten so large since I last looked... how does one access the recordings made by the DVR+ off a connected USB drive? Which tool for Windows 7? And, I recall that files need to be run through VideoRedo's Quick Stream Fix right?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1909 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Just got e-mail from Channel Master that my DVR+ shipped (so, I assume they must be back in stock). This thread has gotten so large since I last looked... how does one access the recordings made by the DVR+ off a connected USB drive? Which tool for Windows 7? And, I recall that files need to be run through VideoRedo's Quick Stream Fix right?
it will grow bigger - see threads about DTVpalDVR/CM7000pal DVR
you shouldn't be shy to use Bookmarks, Search .. all the tool what allow anyone find answers.
post #1910 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I did use 'Search This Thread', but honestly AVS' search feature is lacking. Guess I'll start re-reading from post #1.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1911 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

I have been using wireless with an off brand wifi adapter.

Hi MKS13 - wondering if you (or others?) could shed some light around what to look for to know whether a wifi adapter will work with the DVR+?  I'm looking at this one, but want to know it would work before getting it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088TKTY2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2F6E975V906X0 (There was one linked earlier in this thread that is no longer available on Amazon.)

I was originally looking to maybe get the Philips HDR5710, but now after reading more on this forum, I'm thinking it may be better to get this CM-7500GB16 model. The main barrier for me at the moment is the additional cost involved (the Philips is on sale for $220, while the CM would be $250+HDD cost+wifi adapter cost, for approx total of $350). I basically want all the features of my old cable DVR (switched to OTA recently), including being able to record at least 2 channels at once while watching a pre-recorded program, set recordings using a guide (where I don't have to look up the times and manually set it like a VCR), and rewind live tv. I like that with the CM, you can add more HDD space, even though it's annoying that it's basically a required additional cost when getting this DVR.

If anyone has some thoughts/advice for me, I would love to hear it.  I'm still reading through the forums, but it's hard to figure out what technical specs are necessary for my purposes and which are for the hard core techies...

Thanks for sharing all your expertise!

post #1912 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Chuck

This is for Chuck.
I am not having any issues with my DVR+ with wifi connection of any kind, and I don’t even leave my modem/router on all of the time. I have my modem/router on only when I surf the net. I turn off the modem/router when I turn off the net.
When the m/r is off DVR+ says disconnected and when m/r is on it say connected, and I do nothing to it and works automatically, and I am getting 14 day guide all the time.
I have the wifi that MKS13 recommended. All is very well.
post #1913 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue View Post

Hi MKS13 - wondering if you (or others?) could shed some light around what to look for to know whether a wifi adapter will work with the DVR+?  I'm looking at this one, but want to know it would work before getting it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088TKTY2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2F6E975V906X0 (There was one linked earlier in this thread that is no longer available on Amazon.)

I was originally looking to maybe get the Philips HDR5710, but now after reading more on this forum, I'm thinking it may be better to get this CM-7500GB16 model. The main barrier for me at the moment is the additional cost involved (the Philips is on sale for $220, while the CM would be $250+HDD cost+wifi adapter cost, for approx total of $350). I basically want all the features of my old cable DVR (switched to OTA recently), including being able to record at least 2 channels at once while watching a pre-recorded program, set recordings using a guide (where I don't have to look up the times and manually set it like a VCR), and rewind live tv. I like that with the CM, you can add more HDD space, even though it's annoying that it's basically a required additional cost when getting this DVR.

If anyone has some thoughts/advice for me, I would love to hear it.  I'm still reading through the forums, but it's hard to figure out what technical specs are necessary for my purposes and which are for the hard core techies...

Thanks for sharing all your expertise!

It does not say Linux, just win and mac.
post #1914 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

It does not say Linux, just win and mac.

Ah, thanks!  Found this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQT0YK2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1K5RDMQ6V4659 

post #1915 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue View Post

Ah, thanks!  Found this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQT0YK2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1K5RDMQ6V4659 

Still does not say Linux. Do a search for MKS13 he has posted some that work one that is on ebay.
post #1916 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

Still does not say Linux. Do a search for MKS13 he has posted some that work one that is on ebay.

It doesn't say "Linux" but it does say "Ubuntu 12.10/13.04, Fedora 18/19/20, openSUSE 12.2/12.3, Lubuntu 12.10/13.04, Kubuntu 12.10/13.04, Kali Linux 1.0.3"  all of which are Linux Distros.

HOWEVER, even if it said "Linux" that doesn't mean that it will work with the DVR+.  It will only work if the DVR+ already has drivers for it.  At least so far, there's no way for you to add drivers to the DVR+ firmware.

Chuck

post #1917 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Chuck

Just out of curiosity ... is the DVR+ in an open / well-ventilated area? I do realize it runs pretty cold ... just wondering if it's near any other components which generate a lot of heat. I have unplugged my wifi adapter, rebooted my router / modem, etc., with no negative impact (no hangs) on the DVR. You may want to contact CM about your latest development. I'm guessing the readers here are a small fraction of the sales ... such incidents need to be reported so CM is aware of it; they'll also know if others have reported it. Multiple reports of a problem lead to fixes. As Kelson has stated, the firmware is in active development, so I'm sure they want to hear about all glitches.
post #1918 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post

Just out of curiosity ... is the DVR+ in an open / well-ventilated area? I do realize it runs pretty cold ... just wondering if it's near any other components which generate a lot of heat. I have unplugged my wifi adapter, rebooted my router / modem, etc., with no negative impact (no hangs) on the DVR. You may want to contact CM about your latest development. I'm guessing the readers here are a small fraction of the sales ... such incidents need to be reported so CM is aware of it; they'll also know if others have reported it. Multiple reports of a problem lead to fixes. As Kelson has stated, the firmware is in active development, so I'm sure they want to hear about all glitches.

Of course I'm keeping ChannelMaster in the loop.

The DVR sits on top of my BlueRay player which is turned off.  The DVR+ and the BlueRay player sit in a box that's open front and rear that used to hold a ca. 1985 (e.g. big) VHS recorder.  The opening above the DVR+ is about 18"x3".  Things don't seem to be particularly warm.  But a good thought and worth checking out.

The DVR+ has hung again, this time on wired Ethernet.  The next thing ChannelMaster wants me to try is to unplug the Ethernet cable (the wireless dongle was unpluged after the previous hang) and turn off networking.

Update:  The remote wouldn't turn the DVR on, but the button on the front would.  I'm going to leave the wired Ethernet connection for a while.

Chuck.

post #1919 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

This thread has gotten so large since I last looked... how does one access the recordings made by the DVR+ off a connected USB drive? Which tool for Windows 7? And, I recall that files need to be run through VideoRedo's Quick Stream Fix right?
In a nutshell:
  • You need the Win driver to enable reading Linux Ext partitions so you can pull the files off the HDD.
  • If you have Video ReDo, a Quick Stream Fix takes care of it and fixes the funny bits in the file.
  • If you don't have Video ReDo, you can run it through ffmpeg to fix it.

The posts dealing with this start here -- a scant month and 1000 posts ago.
Brajesh likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1920 of 4725 Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Of course I'm keeping ChannelMaster in the loop.

The DVR sits on top of my BlueRay player which is turned off.  The DVR+ and the BlueRay player sit in a box that's open front and rear that used to hold a ca. 1985 (e.g. big) VHS recorder.  The opening above the DVR+ is about 18"x3".  Things don't seem to be particularly warm.  But a good thought and worth checking out.

The DVR+ has hung again, this time on wired Ethernet.  The next thing ChannelMaster wants me to try is to unplug the Ethernet cable (the wireless dongle was unpluged after the previous hang) and turn off networking.

Update:  The remote wouldn't turn the DVR on, but the button on the front would.  I'm going to leave the wired Ethernet connection for a while.

Chuck.

How full is your disk? If relatively full, try a different (empty) external drive, assuming you don't want to delete everything. When you say, "the button on the front would" did it literally turn it on or reboot it?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page