Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2071 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Member
 
MKS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post


please ....
[read back, we touch the aspect a few times already]


Yes.. and the question was never answered.

                                                                                                                                                                               Vid             Pid

TL-WN823N v1 USB micro dongle Male A TE7WN823N     0bda 8178 RTL8192CU bgn 2x2:2

 

Vid = Obda

Pid = 8178

 

So what does that tell us?

Who is the Vendor?

Do you have a cross reference that tells who that Vid Obda belongs to?

Does that mean that ANY product with that Vid/Pid will work with the DVR+?

If you go to purchase a WIFI adapter and have the Vid/Pid of an adapter, like we have here, can we use that to find an adapter that will work?

Because I can't find any adapters that list their Vid/Pid numbers.

Yes I know once you have the adapter in hand you can get the numbers, but how does that help?

 

Pardon my ignorance..But....Honestly...Inquiring minds want to know..

MKS13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2072 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Chuck Tribolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley (Morgan Hill, CA and Marina, CA).
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post


please ....
[read back, we touch the aspect a few times already]

I see how VID/PID would be useful to figure out whether to test a given WiFi adapter, but you (P Smith) long ago posted a list of what SHOULD work that you extracted from the firmware file.  Once we know that a given adapter works, I fail to see how knowng its VID/PID would be useful since its in the big list.

 

Chuck

MKS13 likes this.
Chuck Tribolet is offline  
post #2073 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

......Share your unique (frequent mover) experience what not too many of us have.
Completed a RV trip from Tucson to Las Cruces and cranked up the roof antenna. The power was off for the drive. It took about a minute for the boot up. Of course the guide was wrong. The local NBC was now the local PBS. Using the menu, I rescanned for channel.

The interesting part was that the guide came up quickly with PSIP information. Network logos and the ROVI logo was missing. Within about 5 minutes the network and ROVI logo appeared. I have it interneted by WiFi to a Verizon aircard. In other words, there are no wires.

It appears this will work well as a RV travel and mobile DVR. If it continues to work like this as I drive east on I-10, I'll have little to write about.

Bill
osu1991 likes this.
bsprague is online now  
post #2074 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Member
 
MKS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
The interesting part was that the guide came up quickly with PSIP information. Network logos and the ROVI logo was missing. Within about 5 minutes the network and ROVI logo appeared. I have it interneted by WiFi to a Verizon aircard. In other words, there are no wires.

It appears this will work well as a RV travel and mobile DVR. If it continues to work like this as I drive east on I-10, I'll have little to write about.

Bill

Thanks for the update Bill..

Did you notice if or when the time updated.. was it correct after you scanned for channels?

Another point.. what did the ROVI show as to when it last updated?.. you can check that in the technical section..

Thanks Bill

MKS13 is offline  
post #2075 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Chuck Tribolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley (Morgan Hill, CA and Marina, CA).
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
 


Yes.. and the question was never answered.

                                                                                                                                                                               Vid             Pid

TL-WN823N v1 USB micro dongle Male A TE7WN823N     0bda 8178 RTL8192CU bgn 2x2:2

 

Vid = Obda

Pid = 8178

 

So what does that tell us?

Who is the Vendor?

Do you have a cross reference that tells who that Vid Obda belongs to?

Does that mean that ANY product with that Vid/Pid will work with the DVR+?

If you go to purchase a WIFI adapter and have the Vid/Pid of an adapter, like we have here, can we use that to find an adapter that will work?

Because I can't find any adapters that list their Vid/Pid numbers.

Yes I know once you have the adapter in hand you can get the numbers, but how does that help?

 

Pardon my ignorance..But....Honestly...Inquiring minds want to know..

0BDA belongs to Realtek.  See http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

 

Any product with that VID/PID should work

Generally, it's hard to determine the VID/PID of a devices without plugging it in.  They don't generally list it because it's for propeller-headed nerds.

 

Chuck

Chuck Tribolet is offline  
post #2076 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

0BDA belongs to Realtek.  See http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

Any product with that VID/PID should work


Generally, it's hard to determine the VID/PID of a devices without plugging it in.  They don't generally list it because it's for propeller-headed nerds.

Chuck
well, you are using a PC to type the post(s) ... what is hard to connect the WiFI dongle to it ? then look at Device Manager for Details ... you spent more time for typing "how hard it" then to obtain the info

lets encourage ppl , not bring them down
P Smith is offline  
post #2077 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Chuck Tribolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley (Morgan Hill, CA and Marina, CA).
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post


well, you are using a PC to type the post(s) ... what is hard to connect the WiFI dongle to it ? then look at Device Manager for Details ... you spent more time for typing "how hard it" then to obtain the info

lets encourage ppl , not bring them down

I said "Generally, it's hard to determine the VID/PID of a device without plugging it in. "


If you have the device in hand it's easy.  It's hard if you are trying answer the question "should I buy this over the internet." and don't have one in hand.  And once someone has one in hand and determines that it works with the DVR+, the VID / PID is irrelevant.  The UPC is far more useful to the next person wanting to buy one.

 

Chuck

Kelson likes this.
Chuck Tribolet is offline  
post #2078 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post


Yes.. and the question was never answered.
...
So what does that tell us?
Who is the Vendor?
Do you have a cross reference that tells who that Vid Obda belongs to?
Does that mean that ANY product with that Vid/Pid will work with the DVR+?
If you go to purchase a WIFI adapter and have the Vid/Pid of an adapter, like we have here, can we use that to find an adapter that will work?
Because I can't find any adapters that list their Vid/Pid numbers.
Yes I know once you have the adapter in hand you can get the numbers, but how does that help?

Pardon my ignorance..But....Honestly...Inquiring minds want to know..
OK

Lets start from beginning ( I thought Donald1800 already explain it ):
a) ppl want to find alternative WiFi USB adapters because of high price of CM labeled version
b) I did pull VID/PID pairs as a chip model from current FW [101R]
c) the list comprise just numbers
d) pll going to buy such adapters in stores by mfg and the mfg's model, so they don't know VIP/PID and can't properly choose working for the DVR+
e) the FW list has no mfg/mfg's models
f) when a person who have positive result of using his non-CM WiFi adapter share his mfg/mfg's model, we don't know if the adapter has approved VID/PID and what exactly it has
g) to help ppl, the list posted here need to be populated by mfg/mfg's model info

Hope it's not that complicated as IMO it's common sense ...
P Smith is offline  
post #2079 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

I said "Generally, it's hard to determine the VID/PID of a device without plugging it in. "


If you have the device in hand it's easy.  It's hard if you are trying answer the question "should I buy this over the internet." and don't have one in hand.  And once someone has one in hand and determines that it works with the DVR+, the VID / PID is irrelevant.  The UPC is far more useful to the next person wanting to buy one.

Chuck
Go ahead ! Post the UPC (hope 1% of ppl pay attention to UPC). Encourage ppl to share the info.

And I'm try to answer to the question "should I buy this over the internet." by collecting relevant info from ppl who has the adapter in their hands. Don't slap them.
P Smith is offline  
post #2080 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Member
 
Yobyot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got my DVR+ today. After a couple of hours of use, here are my first impressions.

Pros:
  • Two excellent tuners in terms of sensitivity. A full channel scan retrieved a couple of marginal channels my 2013 F-series Samsung didn't find
  • Very small and unobtrusive
  • With external drive (I bought the 1TB Seagate), recordings are just perfect (I read somewhere recorded programs are stored as transport stream files. If true, that was a brilliant engineering decision.)

Cons:
  • A terrible remote that's not lighted
  • Sluggish response to the remote's commands
  • Limited program scheduling options.

All in all, I am happy to have a DVR that works with OTA and which delivers picture quality to match my HDTV. It's clearly a first-gen system and if ChannelMaster sticks with it and doesn't orphan us, with just a couple of software releases, this thing could become the go-to device for cord-cutters.
Yobyot is offline  
post #2081 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Theducksfan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Newman, Ca.
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
[quote name="Yobyot"

Pros:
  • Two excellent tuners in terms of sensitivity. A full channel scan retrieved a couple of marginal channels my 2013 F-series Samsung didn't find

    Cons:
    • Sluggish response to the remote's commands


      [/quote]

      I was VERY UNIMPRESSED with the tuners. Between the 3 TV's and 2 DVR's (one was $59.99) the DVR+ is by far the LEAST sensitive.

      The only time the remote is sluggish for me its when it tries to tune to a channel that has faded out.

      Other than that, I agree with your list.

Josh
Theducksfan2010 is offline  
post #2082 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Chuck Tribolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley (Morgan Hill, CA and Marina, CA).
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post


I was VERY UNIMPRESSED with the tuners. Between the 3 TV's and 2 DVR's (one was $59.99) the DVR+ is by far the LEAST sensitive.

The only time the remote is sluggish for me its when it tries to tune to a channel that has faded out.

Other than that, I agree with your list.

Just for grins, have you tried connecting the coax that goes to the DVR+ to a TV and seeing what the reception is like?  Maybe the coax or splitter port is bad.

 

Chuck

Chuck Tribolet is offline  
post #2083 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post

Got my DVR+ today. After a couple of hours of use, here are my first impressions.

Pros:
  • With external drive (I bought the 1TB Seagate), recordings are just perfect (I read somewhere recorded programs are stored as transport stream files. If true, that was a brilliant engineering decision.)
....
I just answered the question today
FYI, all e*'s DVRs does recording TS, actually "TSp" - partial transport stream
P Smith is offline  
post #2084 of 4788 Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Theducksfan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Newman, Ca.
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

Just for grins, have you tried connecting the coax that goes to the DVR+ to a TV and seeing what the reception is like?  Maybe the coax or splitter port is bad.

Chuck

I wish that's all it was, its using the same cable that was plugged from the wall to the TV before I got it. There are some channels I can get with 54% on the TV (only needs 30% for a picture) that are pixelated and unwatchable on the DVR+

Josh
Theducksfan2010 is offline  
post #2085 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 05:13 AM
Member
 
MKS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post


I wish that's all it was, its using the same cable that was plugged from the wall to the TV before I got it. There are some channels I can get with 54% on the TV (only needs 30% for a picture) that are pixelated and unwatchable on the DVR+

If you haven't already, you might want to look into a powered antenna mast mounted preamplifier.

The stations that I receive are between 25 and 65 miles away, and with out a preamp and a distribution amplifier my signals would be unwatchable too.

MKS13 is offline  
post #2086 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

Thanks for the update Bill..
Did you notice if or when the time updated.. was it correct after you scanned for channels?
Another point.. what did the ROVI show as to when it last updated?.. you can check that in the technical section..
Thanks Bill
I've got my entertainment system powered down with the antenna stowed for today's drive. I'll check system time and ROVI data on the next stop.

Bill
bsprague is online now  
post #2087 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joed32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Welcome to the AVS Forums!
joed32 is offline  
post #2088 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Chuck Tribolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Silicon Valley (Morgan Hill, CA and Marina, CA).
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post


I've got my entertainment system powered down with the antenna stowed for today's drive. I'll check system time and ROVI data on the next stop.

Bill


And did you have to configure a new zip code? 

 

I thought Rovi decided what stations to show in the guide based on zip.  And my experience is consistent with that.  When I gave it my home zip (95037, Morgan Hill, CA, extreme south end of Silicon Valley) it gave me the San Francisco stations in the guide, which I don't get (there's a mountain in the way).  I changed the zip to one in the Monterey area (93933, Marina, CA, just north of Monterey), and I got the Monterey stations in the guide, which I do get (line of sight and half the distance). for the most part.

 

Chuck

Chuck Tribolet is offline  
post #2089 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Riefstahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Cons:

  • A terrible remote that's not lighted
  • Sluggish response to the remote's commands
  • Limited program scheduling options.

 

If CM is listening:

 

- The remote has the forward and back skip waaaaaay down below...how are you supposed to hold it and punch the keys?  I live and die by the skip with Tivo.  Move those puppies up to their rightful place.  Now that I think about it, good design should have NO keys two inches from the bottom of the remote - that's where you hold it!  UPDATE: I used the remote further tonight.  If the remote is viewed in three sections, I think the top #s section and the bottom playback section should absolutely be reversed (playback control on top, #s on bottom).  We're only talking 60 channels here, and for me, it's really only 23.  I can use the guide or channel surf with so few - the #s don't need such prominence.  Put another way, I will far more use the playback buttons (currently covered by my palm/meat of my thumb) then input channels.  I almost feel like using it upside down as Chuck has highlighted the inadvertent possibility.

 

- I noticed the sluggish response ONLY when a channel was picked up in the scan, but was black when actually clicked on (when channel surfing).  There's a 5-10 second lag of split second show of guide on the bottom, then black.  I don't know what's going on, I assume it's trying to formulate a picture.  But I can't seem to blow past by it - it seems that it must complete its 10 second process before the remote becomes operational again.  Anyone else notice that?

 

Separate note: I live 8 miles from Boston, so I kind of expected a cheap $20 AmazonBasics antenna to work just fine.  There are a few channels that I want that I'm not currently getting in the antenna's current placement.  I guess what I'm really trying to say is for people to be careful of incorrectly assigning blame to the DVR+ when it very well could be your antenna and/or placement (which, btw, is another added expense we haven't talked about for newbie cord cutters).  I appear to be having more issues/struggles/limitations with that then the DVR+ itself.  I'll see if I can aesthetically move the antenna around to see if I can get a better picture/more channels before spending (more) on an amplified antenna. UPDATE: I talk about this below - I don't think it's antenna placement, as I'm within 5 miles of 15 stations.  I'm just not getting a certain 4.

Riefstahl is offline  
post #2090 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Member
 
kent2174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fullerton, California
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From time to time i notice the delayed response from the remote control.
Mostly while on the guide, I can't scroll/exit until the unit decides to let me.
Typically after setting up a program series to record.
I can maybe see why, if the device needs to go thru days of guides setting up times, but even occurs if i only choose to record a single program.

And I can't recreate at will.

The first time i saw it was during set up, i said then to myself, oh no! And its been happening to a lessor extent since.
This is really the only bug i see in the device.

Oh, and for those who were saying larger HDD are not necessary, family life is better now, since we don't need to argue about what to delete to make space. This is the biggest win of all with DVR+
kent2174 is offline  
post #2091 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Member
 
Yobyot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riefstahl View Post

If CM is listening:

- The remote has the forward and back skip waaaaaay down below...how are you supposed to hold it and punch the keys?  I live and die by the skip with Tivo.  Move those puppies up to their rightful place.  Now that I think about it, good design should have NO keys two inches from the bottom of the remote - that's where you hold it!  

- I noticed the sluggish response ONLY when a channel was picked up in the scan, but was black when actually clicked on (when channel surfing).  There's a 5-10 second lag of split second show of guide on the bottom, then black.  I don't know what's going on, I assume it's trying to formulate a picture.  But I can't seem to blow past by it - it seems that it must complete its 10 second process before the remote becomes operational again.  Anyone else notice that?

Separate note: I live 8 miles from Boston, so I kind of expected a cheap $20 AmazonBasics antenna to work just fine.  There are a few channels that I want that I'm not currently getting in the antenna's current placement.  I guess what I'm really trying to say is for people to be careful of incorrectly assigning blame to the DVR+ when it very well could be your antenna and/or placement (which, btw, is another added expense we haven't talked about for newbie cord cutters).  I appear to be having more issues/struggles/limitations with that then the DVR+ itself.  I'll see if I can move the aesthetically move the antenna around to see if I can get a better picture/more channels before spending (more) on an amplified antenna.

I live about 30 miles due west of Boston. I originally went with a smaller antenna that "should have" worked perfectly, according to my tvfool.com report. But I had to go MUCH larger and add a distribution amp. I also have an antenna pre-amp on the way. Unless weather interferes, I pick up all the Boston stations, plus to VHF stations from Providence. The video is absolutely terrific. Here's a blog post I recently wrote about my experience cutting the cord.
Yobyot is offline  
post #2092 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Riefstahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post


I live about 30 miles due west of Boston. I originally went with a smaller antenna that "should have" worked perfectly, according to my tvfool.com report. But I had to go MUCH larger and add a distribution amp. I also have an antenna pre-amp on the way. Unless weather interferes, I pick up all the Boston stations, plus to VHF stations from Providence. The video is absolutely terrific. Here's a blog post I recently wrote about my experience cutting the cord.

That's a sweet post and blog!  Thanks!!

Riefstahl is offline  
post #2093 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Member
 
agb2529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman View Post

anyone know if this is a compatible external hard drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=aO2fNp6CEeOm69rz-P6TdgipA1_cb8z3_0_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&Item=N82E16822178116&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=

It's a good deal and was thinking about purchasing it for a second DVR+ unit.

That drive will not work. I just got my DVR+ set up last week and had purchased that one, was thinking that 1 TB was not quite enough but 3 was too much, figured since it was in the same series as the recommended drives it should be fine. Plugged it in, the unit saw it, but came up with an "unable to initialize" error. Had to unplug and reset the DVR+ to clear the message. Contacted support and apparently for some reason the unit doesn't like the Seagate 2 TB or 4 TB drives but works perfectly with 1 & 3. Go figure. Ended up getting the recommended 1TB STBX1000101 on sale for $70 at BB, works perfectly. Actually fits in better, same height as the DVR+ and no power adapter, runs off USB.

Haven't had too much time to play with the unit but so far my impressions are very positive. Really like the form factor, feels very solidly made, also like the feel of the remote. Have recorded a few things, one on the internal memory (since my 1st hard drive didn't work!) and some more on the drive, easy to set up and looks great. Tuner seems to work well, picks up everything that my TV does, guide looks nice and is pretty easy to use. I have it hard wired into my network. Of course compared to what I've been using for the last 8 years for HD recording most anything will be simpler - I have a Samsung SIR-T165 hooked up to a Mitsubishi D-VHS recorder via firewire. It has served me well and does produce a good HD recording with full 5.1 sound but I was getting a little tired of juggling all those 2 hour tapes, plus the fact that I couldn't record HD and watch something recorded earlier at the same time (wife hated that part). The only minor complaint that I have as far as missing features is that it would be nice to have analog output jacks so that I could save selected recordings in SD to a DVD-R, but I guess if I really want to do that with a special program I'll just use my D-VHS setup.

Will post again once I've got some more experience with the unit but looks like a winner.
artisticimaging likes this.
agb2529 is offline  
post #2094 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Theducksfan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Newman, Ca.
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
 
 

 

Quote:

 

Originally Posted by Riefstahl View Post
 

 

If CM is listening:

 

- I noticed the sluggish response ONLY when a channel was picked up in the scan, but was black when actually clicked on (when channel surfing).  There's a 5-10 second lag of split second show of guide on the bottom, then black.  I don't know what's going on, I assume it's trying to formulate a picture.  But I can't seem to blow past by it - it seems that it must complete its 10 second process before the remote becomes operational again.  Anyone else notice that?

 

 

I have had more than a few issues my my CM DVR+, they don't support multiple markets, weak tuner etc, and have had a few calls to CM, technical support and actually had on of the DVR+ engineers call me (talk about customer service, have you ever had a product engineer call you as a consumer, WOW!!)

I was told that because of the timeshifting ability of the DVR, that it always records live tv up to 2 hours per channel, When you turn to a channel that has faded out (black screen, no picture) the DVR+ is trying to record it, and with nothing there, it delays the response. Seems longer than 10 seconds to me, but I never actually counted.


Josh
Theducksfan2010 is offline  
post #2095 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Theducksfan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Newman, Ca.
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by agb2529 View Post


That drive will not work. I just got my DVR+ set up last week and had purchased that one, was thinking that 1 TB was not quite enough but 3 was too much, figured since it was in the same series as the recommended drives it should be fine. Plugged it in, the unit saw it, but came up with an "unable to initialize" error. Had to unplug and reset the DVR+ to clear the message. Contacted support and apparently for some reason the unit doesn't like the Seagate 2 TB or 4 TB drives but works perfectly with 1 & 3. Go figure. Ended up getting the recommended 1TB STBX1000101 on sale for $70 at BB, works perfectly. Actually fits in better, same height as the DVR+ and no power adapter, runs off USB.

The 3TB didn't work for me either. I bought one when I first recieved my DVR+. It worked well for 2 days, and then nothing. I couldn't even get a Linux machine to see the drive after that. Not sure if it was faulty drive, or DVR+ killed it. So I have stayed away from all Seagate expansion drives, sad because of their price.


Josh
Theducksfan2010 is offline  
post #2096 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Theducksfan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Newman, Ca.
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
 

If you haven't already, you might want to look into a powered antenna mast mounted preamplifier.

The stations that I receive are between 25 and 65 miles away, and with out a preamp and a distribution amplifier my signals would be unwatchable too.

The problem is the CM DVR+ tuners, said channels work perfectly on both the tv in the garage and the tv in the living room. Living room t and DVR+ share the same feed, and all three are on the same antenna. I have both a preamp and a distribution amp already in my system.


Josh
Theducksfan2010 is offline  
post #2097 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Riefstahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post
 

The problem is the CM DVR+ tuners, said channels work perfectly on both the tv in the garage and the tv in the living room. Living room t and DVR+ share the same feed, and all three are on the same antenna. I have both a preamp and a distribution amp already in my system.

Interesting - I can certainly test that theory out and see if get these 4 certain channels I want that are currently "black" through the DVR+, and see if I get them through a straight connection to the TV...I'll post my results.

 

RESULTS:

For me, no usable difference in tunage: TV picked up one more station than the DVR+, but it was incredibly snowy. (As I indirectly note below, the antenna was NOT moved for this specific test).

 

SEPARATE ISSUE:

TV did NOT pick up the 4 channels that I wanted:

 

38.1 MyTV (WBZ)

32/68.1 Ion

68.2 Qubo

68.3 IonLife

 

The DVR+ picks up that a station is there...it just doesn't render a picture or sound - just black.  I used TVfool, and the stations are 4.3 miles from my house!  As are the other ones that I receive just fine.  I easily pick up the Telemundo that is 16 mi away.  Racking my brains here...any ideas?  It's not antenna placement, not the DVR+, not distance...?  

 

UPDATE: just found the the AVS Boston OTA forum.  Of course there's one.  I'll check that out, as it seems more appropriate.  

 

UPDATE: What a newb I am.  It WAS antenna placement.  I seriously thought digital was either "on" or "off", and forgot about the whole signal strength and quality, and direction.  As suggested, I performed my rotation dance with antenna in hand, while watching the signal strength and quality.  Found the antenna's sweet spot for all channels.  It honestly simply did not register that the signals are directional.  Doh!  

 

ISSUE RESOLVED.

Riefstahl is offline  
post #2098 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Theducksfan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Newman, Ca.
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
It's even worse today. Channel 10 is 74% signal strength 100% picture quality on my TV, unwatchable pixelation on the DVR+. I'm about to the point of returning it. A great DVR is worthless if it can't receive the channels.

Josh
Theducksfan2010 is offline  
post #2099 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,134
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

It's even worse today. Channel 10 is 74% signal strength 100% picture quality on my TV, unwatchable pixelation on the DVR+. I'm about to the point of returning it. A great DVR is worthless if it can't receive the channels.

Have you tried temporarily connecting the DVR to the coax line that is currently connected to the TV? Just to rule out any cable or splitter issues?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
post #2100 of 4788 Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Theducksfan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Newman, Ca.
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Have you tried temporarily connecting the DVR to the coax line that is currently connected to the TV? Just to rule out any cable or splitter issues?

No joy, but I am going to order 2 new 3 ft cables and a 6 ft, replace everything coming out of the wall.

Josh
Theducksfan2010 is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off