Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 239Likes

post #2251 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there any DVR+ owners who know what a flashing blue light means? Mine won't booth -- and the owner's manual says nothing about this indication. The unit just stays at the "gears" logo indefinitely. I'm feeling bricked (after six days' ownership).

Is there any magic hardware reset sequence anyone knows of to get the thing to read its PROM and start anew?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

I was curious as to whether anyone is:
A) Using a WD My Passport ultra 1TB drive with the DVR+ (I personally prefer WD drives). If so, how have your results been with the DVR+?
B) If so, have you been able to successfully stop the drive from running constantly (allowing it to "sleep" after the DVR+ power button is pushed).

I'm disappointed that the HD runs constantly and would like for it to stop when the unit isn't in use (supposedly this can be accomplished with the Seagate drive).
Assuming this can be done, how would it affect the Rovi guide updates?
Wouldn't the drive need to be running for the daily update to work?
Would it update when the unit is turned back on?

Thank you in advance for your help!

A) I'm using a Seagate drive so, unfortunately, I can't offer any experiences with a WD.

B) Programs for the Western Digital My Passport Ultra are at http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMP_Ultra

From what I've read online, both the WD Smartware and WD Drive Utilities control the Sleep Timer.  The installation instructions for Smartware make you go through some minor hoops, so you may want to try downloading the WD Drive Utiliies first.  Since I don't need either, I didn't download them, so I can't comment on this definitively.  I would suggest trying the Drive Utilities first.  Its installation requirements APPEAR to be easier.

Also, the link for the Smartware says "Smartware Update" implying something that will update an existing Smartware installation.  And I'm not seeing anything on this page that implies an initial download of an Smartware.

As to the Rovi updates, I don't have those, so I can't comment there.

post #2253 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Why did you bring it up in the first place?

I wasn't the one that brought it up. Kelson wondered why I didn't have a TiVo, and I replied to him.

post #2254 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post

Are there any DVR+ owners who know what a flashing blue light means? Mine won't booth -- and the owner's manual says nothing about this indication. The unit just stays at the "gears" logo indefinitely. I'm feeling bricked (after six days' ownership).

Is there any magic hardware reset sequence anyone knows of to get the thing to read its PROM and start anew?

I'm assuming you saw the Reset instructions on page 32 of the owner's manual, i.e., press and hold the power button.  Also, I've sometimes had equipment hang due to something going on with the HDMI interface.  I've had to disconnect the HDMI cable at both ends and wait about 5 minutes, then start over.  You can try that.

The last thing I can suggest is to contact tech support.  They do get back to you pretty quickly.

post #2255 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

so like Charles R mentioned, do some research about a product your complaining about.

Why should I? I did enough, I went directly to the manufacturer's page and saw the TiVo even at it's high cost did not offer me what I want. And earlier I think I gave a clear enough answer already. "Because I'm not at all interested in purchasing one, I did not waste my time by searching for any third party discounting."

post #2256 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Why are you and some others so worried about the drive not sleeping?

1. Noise, typically in the bedroom.

2. Pilot light, typically in the bedroom.

3. Power consumption.

post #2257 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

I did enough, I went directly to the manufacturer's page and saw the TiVo even at it's high cost did not offer me what I want. And earlier I think I gave a clear enough answer already.

Yet you keep repeating it... please drop the TiVo. I don't even use one and I'm tired of it... take pity on these DVR+ owners.

post #2258 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Where is the MODERATOR? If the Moderator would start deleting these TIVO post maybe the TIVO people would stop High Jacketing our DVR+ thread.
kwg and Foradrive like this.
post #2259 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

Where is the MODERATOR? If the Moderator would start deleting these TIVO post maybe the TIVO people would stop High Jacketing our DVR+ thread.

And maybe if the DVR+ people would stop responding to Tivo posts, the Tivo posts would be cut at least in half........the best way to reduce Tivo talk is to not participate in it....just sayin'

TheKrell likes this.
post #2260 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 11:35 AM

Liked: 10

I'll take credit for starting the Tivo conversation, and it was with the best intention.  And I am pleased that by and large folks have freely provided helpful responses.  

My ultimate goal: cut the cable cord.  Over time, thanks to this forum and the kind help of everyone, I've learned (for me) there are three close, perfectly viable, can't really go wrong options: DVR+, Tivo Roamio, and WMC.  I've learned the highlights of each, and the warts.  

I own the DVR+, have had it for roughly 3 weeks (just got the CM email asking me to post on the website).  As largely all can agree, no real issues, just nitpicks.  Prior, I've had an RCN Tivo Premiere, that has been hitting the space wall for quite some time.  I cannot imagine watching TV without a DVR anymore.  I naturally compare the two.  

WiscoJim basically provided an incredibly detailed comparison between what the Tivo does vs. what the DVR+ doesn't (yet).  Charles R also noted some limitations, that caused me to pause and think on the Roamio.  I've further found that Amazon is currently selling the Roamio for $179, and thanks to this thread found the $100 off PLSR code.  So now the Roamio is $120 less, at $580.  I ordered it last night, I'll get it Friday, and we'll see which one I return. For me, the $120 off "deal" is a momentum swing (but that's entirely subjective).

I for one appreciate everyone's responses to my questions.  Perhaps my questions could have been considered too broad based for this thread, but hell - do I need to remind everyone on the wasted pages relating to the cost of the wifi adapter!? :-P 

post #2261 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

1. Noise, typically in the bedroom.
2. Pilot light, typically in the bedroom.
3. Power consumption.
dish [e*] did decide do not support the spin-down/spin-up sequences of internal drive after it's model 501/508/510 got a lot of HDD issues; since that new DVR models come and new HDD models designed. So far they do support spin-up of external HDD like Seagate/WD with less the 100% success. While internal drive spinning all the time.
post #2262 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post

I'm assuming you saw the Reset instructions on page 32 of the owner's manual, i.e., press and hold the power button.  Also, I've sometimes had equipment hang due to something going on with the HDMI interface.  I've had to disconnect the HDMI cable at both ends and wait about 5 minutes, then start over.  You can try that.

The last thing I can suggest is to contact tech support.  They do get back to you pretty quickly.
you don't need disconnect both ends of HDMI cable - one is enough (it's just wires, no elctronics inside wink.gif )
instead of jacking cables, you could turn off/on your TV or the DVR
post #2263 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 97

For them with a paid guide, on Sunday March 9 at 2am, is there anything listed? It's that time again. TitanTV.com and TVGuide.com are wrong, Zap2It.com (TMS) is correct.

post #2264 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riefstahl View Post

Quote:
I think people who have used an advanced model DVR will never be happy with a DVR+. They will like the allure of the low entry price but its reality will always leave them wanting more and in that regard they will remain unfulfilled.
I respectfully offer a counter-point: for us, TV is a luxury. It's not an absolute necessity, and therefore, the trappings that go with it are also up for discussion and price point. For $250 + HDD, we think we're going to be happy with what the DVR+ provides, and certainly for the next, say, 3 years before something else comes along. For some reason, logical or not, crossing that $500 line turns the damn thing into an investment for us - a turning point where you feel like you now have to use it and get your money out of it-now. And that's not fun. I may be wanting more, but that doesn't discount the satisfaction that comes with the price I paid for what I got.

I would not argue your points -- you were not the one who posted 12" worth of wishlist for advanced features. If you are happy and satisfied with what you got for the price you paid then that is a win. A lot of people want a BMW but can't bring themselves to pay the price for a BMW and settle for a Hyundai. The DVR+ is a very nice mid-priced DVR with a mid-priced feature set that appears to be making a lot of people happy by virtue of the very positive ratings on the CM web site and the fact that they keep selling out. There will always be some who will buy it for the mid-range price point but then complain about it because it does not have the features of a high-end and higher-priced DVR -- this is more likely with someone who has used a higher end DVR. There were people here who were killing the unit before it even shipped based on the reported mid-range feature set.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2265 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

you don't need disconnect both ends of HDMI cable - one is enough (it's just wires, no elctronics inside wink.gif )
instead of jacking cables, you could turn off/on your TV or the DVR

That's what I thought, at the time I had trouble.  By now, I couldn't say what exact steps I took, but I do remember performing escalating levels of powering off components and disconnecting cables.  What ultimately worked was disconnecting the HDMI cable at both ends and unplugging the electrical cord of the TV.  Then waiting for about 15 minutes.  5 minutes didn't solve the problem.  The only thing I didn't disconnect was the power cord of the Panasonic DVD Recorder.

Was it overkill?  Possibly.  Did it work?  Definitely.  I've learned over the years that unless I have diagnostic equipment and intimate knowledge of what I'm dealing with, I'll just clobber the problem with multiple easy fixes.  It's not elegant, but at least I look like I know what I'm doing.  :D   After that, I use Google.

post #2266 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

dish [e*] did decide do not support the spin-down/spin-up sequences of internal drive after it's model 501/508/510 got a lot of HDD issues; since that new DVR models come and new HDD models designed. So far they do support spin-up of external HDD like Seagate/WD with less the 100% success. While internal drive spinning all the time.
I take it from the spin-down discussion that the DVR+ is not recording 24x7 even when it is in standby? Or is it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2267 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've further found that Amazon is currently selling the Roamio for $179, and thanks to this thread found the $100 off PLSR code.  So now the Roamio is $120 less, at $580.  I ordered it last night, I'll get it Friday, and we'll see which one I return. For me, the $120 off "deal" is a momentum swing (but that's entirely subjective).
That's amusing. So you decided to cross the $500 line after all. Four tuners is going to be very hard to give up. I'm OTA and routinely record 3 channels while having a 4th tuner available for live TV.

- kelson h

post #2268 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

I don't think the thread has actually been hijacked. A certain amount of comparing and contrasting of the subject unit versus the top-shelf competitor (TiVo) is probably inevitable and constructive. It's good to know how much functionality is available at various price points. If moderators start screaming "Exterminate! Exterminate!" every time someone mentions the T-word, much useful discussion would be stifled.
pachinko likes this.
post #2269 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I take it from the spin-down discussion that the DVR+ is not recording 24x7 even when it is in standby? Or is it.
only if you scheduled that
post #2270 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post

That's what I thought, at the time I had trouble.  By now, I couldn't say what exact steps I took, but I do remember performing escalating levels of powering off components and disconnecting cables.  What ultimately worked was disconnecting the HDMI cable at both ends and unplugging the electrical cord of the TV.  Then waiting for about 15 minutes.  5 minutes didn't solve the problem.  The only thing I didn't disconnect was the power cord of the Panasonic DVD Recorder.

Was it overkill?  Possibly.  Did it work?  Definitely.  I've learned over the years that unless I have diagnostic equipment and intimate knowledge of what I'm dealing with, I'll just clobber the problem with multiple easy fixes.  It's not elegant, but at least I look like I know what I'm doing.  biggrin.gif    After that, I use Google.
if you want technicality, I have these ...
each reconnection of HDMI cable (one end !) or turn on TV or DVR (eg host or sink) will force 'negotiation' between the devices; it's a function of HDMI/HDCP.
You don't need "diagnostic equipment and intimate knowledge" to know basic things about HDMI/HDCP (perhaps not just Google, at least reading docs at hdmi.org site is your friend wink.gif )
post #2271 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

only if you scheduled that
I see. So the channel buffer is only active if the unit is "on".
I wonder how well the unit handles having to wait for a drive to spin up when it wants to record.

- kelson h

post #2272 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

That's amusing. So you decided to cross the $500 line after all.

I know - I need to change my name to the Waffler.  BTW - I still haven't made the decision yet - and I still need to run the cost by the boss (or sneak it by her).  

But what's driving my current pursuit is the whole Tivo genre/season pass search options.  Previously, I could just punch in "Rom Com" and she would get all the Rom Coms that come in.  It did the homework for me.  I feel like with the DVR+, you have to research and know ahead of time the name of the program you want to watch.  It frankly reminds me of the good ole days of grandma breaking out the TV guide and planning out what she wanted to watch for the week.  That's just not appealing.

post #2273 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

...I've further found that Amazon is currently selling the Roamio for $179, and thanks to this thread found the $100 off PLSR code.  So now the Roamio is $120 less, at $580...

And your "break-even" point will be less than 7 months when you consider (as you previously posted) that you are saving $90/month by canceling your cable and going strictly OTA.
post #2274 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

A) Using a WD My Passport ultra 1TB drive with the DVR+ (I personally prefer WD drives). If so, how have your results been with the DVR+?
B) If so, have you been able to successfully stop the drive from running constantly (allowing it to "sleep" after the DVR+ power button is pushed).

I'm disappointed that the HD runs constantly and would like for it to stop when the unit isn't in use (supposedly this can be accomplished with the Seagate drive).

Quote:

I'm using the Seagate 1TB drive with the Dashboard software installed with the DVR+ and it does turn the drive off after a selectable time. It also allows you to turn off the blue LED light that is rather bright.

It does not affect the ROVI guide update and it does not affect the recording of any programs.

My Rovi guide updates around midnight and by then the DVR+ and the Seagate have gone in to standby modes.

Sorry I can't help with the WD drives, but at least it answers part of your questions.

post #2275 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see. So the channel buffer is only active if the unit is "on".
I wonder how well the unit handles having to wait for a drive to spin up when it wants to record.
it shouldn't an issue when you using a remote to turn it on (little delay for a human is OK, right ?), but when a timer will kick on ... not sure
post #2276 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

I'm using the Seagate 1TB drive with the Dashboard software installed with the DVR+ and it does turn the drive off after a selectable time. It also allows you to turn off the blue LED light that is rather bright.
It does not affect the ROVI guide update and it does not affect the recording of any programs.
My Rovi guide updates around midnight and by then the DVR+ and the Seagate have gone in to standby modes.
Sorry I can't help with the WD drives, but at least it answers part of your questions.
a clarification: EPG/guide update is not touching the drive

one thing you should worried it's timer's kick on; some e* devices [FW] handle the process not well for some models of HDD
post #2277 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Liked: 13

Anyone check out the new firmware that got released today? I installed it but really don't see anything new. I'm guessing behind the scene bug fixes???

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200488325-DVR-Software-Update

post #2278 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Liked: 13

There is a new firmware update out. I just installed it. I'm guessing it fixed bugs as there doesn't appear to be anything apparent new to me.

artisticimaging likes this.
post #2279 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

It's ok to click on the red "X" and delete a blank post.

post #2280 of 5416 Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

I don't think the thread has actually been hijacked. A certain amount of comparing and contrasting of the subject unit versus the top-shelf competitor (TiVo) is probably inevitable and constructive. It's good to know how much functionality is available at various price points. If moderators start screaming "Exterminate! Exterminate!" every time someone mentions the T-word, much useful discussion would be stifled.

If I was interested in a TIVO I would go to the TIVO thread. What is happening here is TIVO sales people are trying to persuade DVR+ interested people over to TIVO. This is the DVR+ owner’s thread.
kwg and mulliganman like this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page