post #2881 of 4227 Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

@SmG,
first defend (on each glitch like that) is reboot, cold reboot .... did you try it ?

Thanks, that seems to have worked for now. I've restarted before by pushing the button in but didn't try to pull the power and reboot it. One interested thing is the tv shows it is receiving a 1080i signal when I watch the antenna directly on the tv, but when i watch it through the DVR+ it is showing 1080P....I wonder if that is causing the glitch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 4227 Old 03-27-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanGolfer View Post

Looking for some help with my DVR+. I've had the DVR+ for about a month now and recently noticed an issue that periodically shows up on my CBS channel 10, where the picture will start blinking and when I pull up the info it shows the little icon switching from HD to SD and back again, on and on, then it just fixes itself after awhile and stops blinking. However, I also have my antenna running directly to my TV and can pull up the same channel at the same time in HD and it isn't blinking which makes me think it is specific to the DVR+ and not an issue with the broadcast. Any thoughts on what the issue could be? If it helps I have it set to "best available" on picture quality.
Have you updated to the 103 firmware? Mine was doing this on an ABC station from time to time, but I haven't noticed it since the update.
post #2883 of 4227 Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Have you updated to the 103 firmware? Mine was doing this on an ABC station from time to time, but I haven't noticed it since the update.

Looks like my software version is 103R (0.5)
post #2884 of 4227 Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanGolfer View Post

Thanks, that seems to have worked for now. I've restarted before by pushing the button in but didn't try to pull the power and reboot it. One interested thing is the tv shows it is receiving a 1080i signal when I watch the antenna directly on the tv, but when i watch it through the DVR+ it is showing 1080P....I wonder if that is causing the glitch?
see my previous posts regarding the DVR's behavior of selecting a resolution based on EDID of your TV/monitor and not allowing you override its choice
post #2885 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Hi, hoping someone here can help with these questions:

1) Can anyone comment on the quality of the tuner? My 2012 model Bravia TV has an amazing OTA tuner. I say its amazing because I've now purchased TWO different PC TV tuners (by Hauppage and AverMedia) to use with Windows Media Center, and the tuners have been absolute trash compared to the tuner in my Sony TV. They couldn't even pick up channels with 22+ db SNR ratios that my TV could tune in crystal clear 1080i with a solid lock, no errors! And the Hauppage, when it worked, would take 10 seconds or more to change channels. Is the DVR+ better? If it's not at least as good as the Sony tuner I may be in for another disappointment.

2) Can this DVR be purchased from anywhere besides directly from the Channel Master site yet? (not counting the $500 eBay scam artists) The CM online store has a horrendous return policy procedure. I've been spoiled by Amazon.

Thanks! I'm a little desperate for a good OTA DVR and have been really disappointed so far. I want an actual remote control and HDMI port. Having to use a tablet as a remote control and a Roku as a viewing device like with the Tablo DVR is sheer stupidity. And yes, I have multiple tablets and a Roku, but what a pain in the neck!
Jim in Phoenix likes this.
post #2886 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 AM

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Hi, hoping someone here can help with these questions:

1) Can anyone comment on the quality of the tuner? My 2012 model Bravia TV has an amazing OTA tuner. I say its amazing because I've now purchased TWO different PC TV tuners (by Hauppage and AverMedia) to use with Windows Media Center, and the tuners have been absolute trash compared to the tuner in my Sony TV. They couldn't even pick up channels with 22+ db SNR ratios that my TV could tune in crystal clear 1080i with a solid lock, no errors! And the Hauppage, when it worked, would take 10 seconds or more to change channels. Is the DVR+ better? If it's not at least as good as the Sony tuner I may be in for another disappointment.

2) Can this DVR be purchased from anywhere besides directly from the Channel Master site yet? (not counting the $500 eBay scam artists) The CM online store has a horrendous return policy procedure. I've been spoiled by Amazon.

Thanks! I'm a little desperate for a good OTA DVR and have been really disappointed so far. I want an actual remote control and HDMI port. Having to use a tablet as a remote control and a Roku as a viewing device like with the Tablo DVR is sheer stupidity. And yes, I have multiple tablets and a Roku, but what a pain in the neck!

1. The quality of the tuners is up for debate. For me, the LG tv in my living room and the Tivo Romio both have much better tuners. But in my office, the DVR+ has the reigning tuners, over an LG tv, Sceptre tv and ViewTv DVR. Some people in here will bash the DVR+ tuners, but after using it on two complete different antenna systems at my house, it seems that the DVR+ tuners work better with a omni-drirectional or directional antenna vs a unidirectional antenna (stations not within the 15 degree radius) I have to say that I have had completely different results with the DVR+ on each of the antennas. 

2. It is ONLY available through Channel Master right now.

I say give it a try in your own house, if it doesn't work for you, it fits in a medium Postal Service box ($11, I think) to return it.

Josh
post #2887 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

If you are looking for a strong tuner do not buy this product. 

post #2888 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk View Post

If you are looking for a strong tuner do not buy this product. 

Strong tuner is completely relative to the quality of the other tuners in the house and what signal is being fed to the DVR+.

The tuners inside the DVR+ are definitely not the most sensitive on the market, but they are a LONG way from being weak. The ONLY thing that stopped me from returning mine was that it had the best (of 4 devices) tuners in my office, better than my $3,200 LG tv.

Josh
post #2889 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Thanks! I'm a little desperate for a good OTA DVR and have been really disappointed so far.
The tuner debate rages on with people on both sides of the fence. The only clear recommendation is that you will ultimately need to buy it and try it to see if it provides the level of performance you are seeking in your particular situation. It will benefit you if you are open to tinkering with your antenna setup. It is a fair statement that in the DVR market, you will get what you pay for so don't expect the DVR+ to be or perform like a TiVo. By most accounts, the DVR+ is a good OTA DVR, but not a superior one.
osu1991 and dandiego like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2890 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Just curious if anyone has attempted to compile the .ts streams recorded from the DVR+ to a Blu-Ray using TMPGEnc's Authoring Works 5? I currently record using the Hauppauge HD-PVR to my PC, but it insists on re-encoding every file captured by it due to the way their device works.

Would anyone be willing to post a couple of very short untouched .ts (one from a 1080i station and one from a 720p station) from your DVR+ to Dropbox or something so I could test this out?

Right now I'm down to buying the DVR+, or a Mini PC and an HDTV Capture device for it. I'd prefer the DVR+, but don't want to order one unless I know up front it will work with the software I have.
post #2891 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

...I'm a little desperate for a good OTA DVR and have been really disappointed so far. I want an actual remote control and HDMI port...

You may want to consider a refurbished Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR for $269.00 from Antenna Logic. From the item description:

"These units are seller refurbished. These units were brand new, returned units, that had factory, out of the box defect of continuous boot screen or boot loop, that was result of a corrupt firmware file. These units have had the original F400 firmware file restored. Hard drive of course is unused, only for testing unit for proper operation of all functions."

Also I believe that most people would agree that the Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR and its sibling Dish DTVPal DVR have very good/excellent tuners. I have had two in use for 5+ years and the DVR tuners blow away the tuner in my Hewlett Packard (re-branded Sharp Aquos) 37-inch LCD HDTV.
post #2892 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 12:56 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone past the return window and want to sell theirs?

I'd like to play around with one but don't really want to shell out the full shipped price just to try it out in person.
post #2893 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyMc View Post

Anyone past the return window and want to sell theirs?

I'd like to play around with one but don't really want to shell out the full shipped price just to try it out in person.

One thing to be aware of in that situation is that the Channel Master 1-year parts and labor warranty would not be transferred to you. From the DVR+ Limited Warranty: "5.1 This Limited Warranty extends only to the original purchaser of the Equipment..."
post #2894 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

One thing to be aware of in that situation is that the Channel Master 1-year parts and labor warranty would not be transferred to you. From the DVR+ Limited Warranty: "5.1 This Limited Warranty extends only to the original purchaser of the Equipment..."

Appreciate the heads up:
1) This is consistent with many products so a risk you take buying used.
2) Product often fail after the warranty is up which is a reason manufacturers set them at certain levels.
2) There are plenty used warranty companies to fill the gap.

In either case I'm trying to get the price down and am will to take the risk to do that. If I don't like it I can resell it for less loss than if I bought a new one.

Purely a numbers game.

=)
post #2895 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 PM

I have had my DVR+ for a little over one month, so I'm still learning how to do things. I saw a selection once, but cannot find out how to do it again, so I could use a little help.

I want to record a show, by name, at the same time every week. This show is on many times during the week, but I don't want to record 20 repeats, just the ones when the network shows the new episodes. One time, a dialog box came up and asked how I wanted to record the episodes, and it gave me choices like 'every episode', and one of the choices was something like 'at this time, on this channel, each week'. Now, I can't find that option.

Can someone please help me find that option?

Thank you in advance,
Ron
post #2896 of 4227 Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

Based on the various electronics I've owned, I expect this to last a long time. Why? Afaik, no moving parts and it does not appear to get hot. I do realize those are not good enough reasons for longevity, but I expect it to be more reliable than a unit with a hard drive in it.
post #2897 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Hello everyone from a new member.  I set up a manual recording yesterday for channel 11 on my Channel Master DVR+ and the machine actually recorded channel 5.  When I press INFO for the recording it shows channel 11, but that isn't what it actually did.  Has anyone seen this behavior?  Previous manual recordings have worked properly.  Also, when a recording is playing and I want to stop it, the only option I see is to delete the recording.  Any thoughts on this one?  I have software version 103R and the wireless function seems to be working properly.  Many thanks!  John Whitney, Atlanta, GA. 

post #2898 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...Can this DVR be purchased from anywhere besides directly from the Channel Master site yet? (not counting the $500 eBay scam artists)...

That eBay seller has not sold one of those $499.90 DVR+ packages. They started with 6 packages about 3 weeks ago and have not sold one. They have also had 5 "Make Offer" offers and all were declined.

Surprisingly they did sell one of the six $399.90 DVR+ packages that they had listed for sale. I guess some people just don't do their homework before making a purchase! eek.gif
post #2899 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 AM

I just received my DVR+. I purchased the DVR+ to have in case my 7000PAL gets into trouble as it is approaching 3 years in service.

I will most likely keep the 7000 going until there is a problem or I need some extra space (big difference in the size of the two units!).

The DVR+ was set up this morning, just to check it out. The manual should be included in the box (I had already downloaded it for information months ago), not just the quick start quide as far as I am concerned.

The set up went relatively easily and the good news was the inclusion of my time zone in this unit. I am located in Newfoundland and with the 7000, the closest time zone is eastern which means I have to set the clock 1.5 hours off....actually, since DST it is now off by 2.5 hours! With the DVR+, even the postal code can be entered (usually with these devices it is American zip code!!). The unit scanned and found all my channels......all 2 of them...great selection! The signal strengths were: for ch 8.1 (the stronger of the two) SS 100, Quality 100 vs 7000PAL SS 98 and for ch 21.1 SS 98, Quality 74 vs 7000PAL SS 66. So difficult to say, but the tuner seems to be at least as good if not better than the 7000PAL. If I start getting some dropouts on 21.1 I might switch over to the DVR+ and see if it handles the signal any better. The 21.1 signal is affected a bit more by strong winds and / or freezing rain (lots of both this winter, but not much signal interference, only once this winter...thank god..or whichever deity is appropriate). The picture looked great. I had previously purchased the correct adapter for the optical out and it fit and worked and I reset the audio for night mode off (on by default!) and all worked well.

The unit seems to work as well as expected from reading other comments here, at least in my rather limited situation of channels....21.1 does not even supply the PSIP info!

One question....if one attaches a hard drive to the USB port, should the DVR+ be ON when the drive is plugged in or should it be OFF then the DVR+ turned ON? The manual does not really seem to say anything about it (unless I missed it!), or does it make a difference? For the USB update (I will not be connected to the internet) it indicates to have the DVR+ ON then insert the USB.....

Great thread, I have been following since the start, great info.

Cheers
post #2900 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post

Just curious if anyone has attempted to compile the .ts streams recorded from the DVR+ to a Blu-Ray using TMPGEnc's Authoring Works 5? I currently record using the Hauppauge HD-PVR to my PC, but it insists on re-encoding every file captured by it due to the way their device works.

Would anyone be willing to post a couple of very short untouched .ts (one from a 1080i station and one from a 720p station) from your DVR+ to Dropbox or something so I could test this out?

Right now I'm down to buying the DVR+, or a Mini PC and an HDTV Capture device for it. I'd prefer the DVR+, but don't want to order one unless I know up front it will work with the software I have.

Still hoping someone could post a couple of test clips from your DVR+ for me so I can test out the software I currently use for HD recordings? They don't have to be long, they can be one minute .ts files. I just would like to try one out and see if it functions better than the HD-PVR method I'm currently using before I order one.
post #2901 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Liked: 12
although it might not make any difference.....always best to have everything turned off, if not unplugged. Then connect USB HDD, then allow the DVR+ to gracefully power up. DVR+ will indicate on tv screen it sees HDD connected....please wait while configuring HDD. Hope this helps.
post #2902 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangwesley View Post

Hello everyone from a new member.  I set up a manual recording yesterday for channel 11 on my Channel Master DVR+ and the machine actually recorded channel 5.  When I press INFO for the recording it shows channel 11, but that isn't what it actually did.  Has anyone seen this behavior?  Previous manual recordings have worked properly.  Also, when a recording is playing and I want to stop it, the only option I see is to delete the recording.  Any thoughts on this one?  I have software version 103R and the wireless function seems to be working properly.  Many thanks!  John Whitney, Atlanta, GA. 

The wrong channel being recorded has been covered multiple times - just scroll through the posts. Kelson, the guy with the inside track, has stated (iirc) that CM is working on a fix.

I'm not by my DVR+ at present ... I distinctly remember seeing (more than once) an option to Stop the recording if you selected one which was in progress. Are you sure the recording in question was still being recorded when you wanted to stop it (I'm assuming you mean stop the recording as opposed to stop the playing of the recording)?
post #2903 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post

Kelson, the guy with the inside track, has stated (iirc) that CM is working on a fix.

CM has verified that this problem will be fixed with the next fw update.

Josh
post #2904 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Thanks, Russell, for the reply.  I apologize for going over something that has already been covered -- this is my first day on the forum and I am still learning.  Actually, I was trying to stop playback of the recording and then possibly deleting it, when the unit ignored my efforts with the remote.  The status column had a white triangle in it (which doesn't seem to be documented in the manual), and I wasn't sure what that meant; again, this was on playback. I appreciate your comments.  (Thanks also to Theducksfan2010 for stating that CM is aware of the problem.)  John Whitney

post #2905 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still hoping someone could post a couple of test clips from your DVR+ for me so I can test out the software I currently use for HD recordings? They don't have to be long, they can be one minute .ts files. I just would like to try one out and see if it functions better than the HD-PVR method I'm currently using before I order one.
Ok, I captured a couple minutes of a 720p channel and also of a 1080i channel. ffmpeg in Linux was able to process the 720p one, but said it could not find a codec for the video stream in the 1080i one (but the DVR+ can play it back just fine). In any case, the raw streams are uploading now and as soon as they're done, I'll send you the links in a PM. I'd appreciate knowing if you can process the second one (1080i).
post #2906 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangwesley View Post

Thanks, Russell, for the reply.  I apologize for going over something that has already been covered -- this is my first day on the forum and I am still learning.  Actually, I was trying to stop playback of the recording and then possibly deleting it, when the unit ignored my efforts with the remote.  The status column had a white triangle in it (which doesn't seem to be documented in the manual), and I wasn't sure what that meant; again, this was on playback. I appreciate your comments.  (Thanks also to Theducksfan2010 for stating that CM is aware of the problem.)  John Whitney

You're welcome, John. To stop playback just hit the back button - that works for me. Isn't there a standard stop button (typical DVD/VCR icon) to stop playback on the remote (I'm not near the device atm)? Also, make sure the path to the remote has no obstacles (very clear line of sight path from your clicker to the device).
post #2907 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 02:05 PM

I've seen a few comments regarding the remote for DVR + being less than ideal for dvr use. I have the cm7400 and am considering a DVR+ upgrade. Can anyone with both of these units comment on whether the 7400 remote will work with the DVR+?
post #2908 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I captured a couple minutes of a 720p channel and also of a 1080i channel. ffmpeg in Linux was able to process the 720p one, but said it could not find a codec for the video stream in the 1080i one (but the DVR+ can play it back just fine). In any case, the raw streams are uploading now and as soon as they're done, I'll send you the links in a PM. I'd appreciate knowing if you can process the second one (1080i).
Quote:

Ok, you should now have both links. Note that ffmpeg initially would not process the 1080i file, but I found if I stripped off the first couple hundred thousand bytes, then it processed ok. Apparently, the DVR+ may put some garbage at the beginning of the stream that confuses ffmpeg.
post #2909 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, you should now have both links. Note that ffmpeg initially would not process the 1080i file, but I found if I stripped off the first couple hundred thousand bytes, then it processed ok. Apparently, the DVR+ may put some garbage at the beginning of the stream that confuses ffmpeg.

Thanks very much. I downloaded both and my findings are a bit perplexing. On both files when I tried to import them into TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 I ran into the issue you described of no valid video. I quickly ran them through the QuickFix function in VideoReDo, and Authoring Works 5 accepted them fine.

What I'm baffled by is that it still insists on fully re-rendering the 1080i file, yet it will happily just convert the 720p one straight to Blu-Ray without re-encoding it. It must be an issue on their end, as it does the same thing with HD-PVR capture files.

Alas this did answer my question, it appears the DVR+ will leave me in the same situation I am now :-(
post #2910 of 4227 Old 03-29-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Thanks very much. I downloaded both and my findings are a bit perplexing. On both files when I tried to import them into TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 I ran into the issue you described of no valid video. I quickly ran them through the QuickFix function in VideoReDo, and Authoring Works 5 accepted them fine.

What I'm baffled by is that it still insists on fully re-rendering the 1080i file, yet it will happily just convert the 720p one straight to Blu-Ray without re-encoding it. It must be an issue on their end, as it does the same thing with HD-PVR capture files.

Alas this did answer my question, it appears the DVR+ will leave me in the same situation I am now :-(
Just a guess:

HDTV shows are encoded in MPEG-2. If your authoring program is making an AVCHD disk it will re-encode the video to H.264 to be in strict compliance with AVCHD specs. I've used MultiAVCHD to author BDMV disks and had it include both MPEG-2 and H.264 video without issue or trying to re-encode.

About processing. It has already been documented that the DVR+ .ts files right off the HDD have some non-standard issues that have to be cleaned up. ffmpeg worked and is free. Video ReDo Quick Fix is probably the better solution -- you can then edit out commercials and save the file directly as .m2ts which makes most BD authoring programs very happy since they have to convert anything else you give them to .m2ts before making a BD or AVCHD. I myself use Video ReDo for all my HDTV recordings.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page