AVS Forum banner
2M views 20K replies 719 participants last post by  P Smith 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Channel Master DVR+ (Antenna Compatible DVR with Internet Connectivity and No Subscription Fees)

$249.99

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?Click=32508

Quick Start Guide: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc...ents/200068249/DVR_Plus_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf
User Guide: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200152160/DVR_Plus_Users_Guide.pdf
Software Update: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200488325-DVR-Software-Update

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:Originally Posted by Kelson 

I'm transferring this information (with updates) from the other CM-7500 thread which I've requested be locked. Aero 1 can incorporate this into his post #1 as he wishes.

Channel Master CM-7500 (a.k.a. Channel Master DVR+)
I have come across some information about the upcoming Channel Master CM-7500. After repeated communications I am convinced of the source's credibility and of the validity of the information. I will update it as more comes in that I'm allowed to post.

Model name = CM-7500
Made by Echostar, sold by Channel Master
Targeted released date = 12/2/2013 (in reality, not until Q1 2014)
Keep an eye on the Channel Master Store Web site.

There are two models being proposed:

• Lower end with 16GB internal storage and no HDD (CM-7500GB16, $250)
  • Flat form factor to easily mount on rear of flat panel DTV (IR extender available)
  • No fan, runs cool
  • Higher end model with internal HDD; size = TBD (CM-7500GB320)
  • Both models accept an external USB HDD to expand storage -- at least 3TB
  • The CM-7500GB16 will be released first

Common to both models:

• 1 ethernet port
  • 2 USB ports (all on rear)
  • wireless adapter can be separately purchased and used in a USB port.
  • IR extender can be purchased to allow hiding the CM-7500
  • Two ATSC tuners for OTA-HDTV
  • No clear QAM tuners, no cable card -- that is definite
  • PSIP guide if not connected to Internet
  • 14 day guide service (Rovi) from Internet - no information, yet, on whether it is free or yearly subscription
  • Support for Internet streaming services
  • Only supported streaming service, so far = VuDu -- likely that more will be added before release

OS = Linux

• The OS of the CM-7500 is Linux.
  • An external HDD is formatted with ExtFS upon connection to the DVR
  • Recordings are stored in standard transport stream format -- .ts files.
  • External HDD can be read by a Linux box or a PC with a Linux ExtFS file system driver
  • The files are displayed and can be accessed
  • Nothing currently inhibiting recordings being transferred off the external HDD
  • There is no indication the files are encrypted.

The Rovi guide has me scratching my head -- I didn't think their Internet guide for HDTV's went much beyond 3 days. This must be something different.

A bit more detail:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1/9/2014

Channel Master is developing a whole-home DVR solution for cord cutters

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/08/channel-master-dvr-plus-extender/
Quote:Channel Master wants its new DVR+ to be the TiVo of people who don’t like to pay TiVo’s fees – and now, it’s developing whole-home DVR functionality as well.

Channel Master, known for its over-the-air TV antennas as well as some early digital video recorders that go along with these antennas, started shipping its new DVR+ this week — and the company is already looking to bring additional functionality to the device. Channel Master EVP Joe Bingochea told me at the CES in Las Vegas Wednesday that his company is looking to introduce a small companion device in the next few months that will turn the DVR+ into a whole-home digital video recorder.

Channel Master sells its new DVR+ for $250. For that price, consumers get a pretty neat box with a very clean design as well as a programming guide — something for that TiVo charges around $15 per month, depending on the individual plan.

However, the device also has its downsides. It only comes with 16 GB of onboard storage, which means that consumers have to connect an external hard drive to record more than a handful of TV show episodes. It also doesn’t support Wifi, and instead offers an Ethernet port and the option to buy an extra wireless adapter. And at least for now, the DVR+ only comes with one streaming app — Vudu — but Bingochea said that others will follow soon.

Channel Master has been positioning the device as a solution for consumer that don’t want to pay any monthly fees at all, and Bingochea also said that many of his company’s customers are more used to the traditional channel grid used by pay TV providers. That’s why the company also isn’t including ann app store. Instead, it lists Vudu right alongside other channels in the channel grid.

Bingochea said that whole-home DRV functionality was one of the most-requested features, which is why the company is now developing an adapter that can be connected to other TVs in the house to stream recordings from a DVR+ over the local network. The device won’t allow out-of-home streaming, but Channel Master cooperated with EchoStar on the development of the DVR+, and as a result, it is compatible with Sling’s Slingbox 500.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
7/11/13 - Original Post

New Channel Master K77 revealed from FCC Analog Tuner Waiver

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-07/echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/
Quote:Boxee may have abandoned the market to secure their survival, but Echostar & Channel Master are teaming up once again to tap the over-the-air television market with a new line of retail DVR. According to a FCC filing (PDF), the two Channel Master K77 models “combine access to broadcast programming with over-the-top and DVR functionalities.” Both units are slated to include 16GB of Flash storage, presumably to house the OS and any potential OTT apps, with DVR storage handled via an integrated 320GB hard drive (in the higher end SKU) or added via USB storage by end users. Previously, the two companies collaborated on the DTVPal - which seemed to enjoy a decent amount of buzz and interest. More recently, Channel Master has been pushing an Entone-powered OTA DVR… but may not be pleased with the results given their rekindled relationship with Echostar. We firmly believe there’s an audience for this sort of product and are looking forward to what Echostar brings to the table. Related, Simple.TV, with a new line of funding, is likely also preparing an updated OTA/OTT DVR. Combined with TiVo’s incoming 4-tuner Series 5 and Aereo’s contested cloud-based approach, options are certainly heating up for cord cutters.

FCC Filing: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2013/db0710/DA-13-1555A1.pdf
Quote:EchoStar seeks a waiver for two variants of the K77 device. Model CM-7500GB16 is
Flash memory-based with 16 gigabytes (“GB”) of memory, but no internal hard drive. DVR capability can be added
through the attachment of an external USB hard drive. Model CM-7500GB320 includes a 320 GB hard drive.

Hope these don't strictly rely on PSIP and include a better guide.

Attachments

See less See more
#4,021 ·
Seagate spin down

I'm not sure where this info that Seagate drives don't spin down came from, but it's not true. I have a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus that I bought a couple weeks ago. It has never been connected to a computer. It went straight from the package to my DVR+. If I put my hand on the drive while I start up my DVR I can feel it spin up.
Newer Seagate Backup Plus external drives come with Seagate Dashboard pre-installed, on the older units you had to download the program. The spin down option is one tiny bit of what the software does.
From the user guide page 31:

"Managing Your Seagate Drives with Seagate Dashboard Getting Technical Support for Your Seagate Drive
Seagate Dashboard User Guide 31

Power:
Sets the amount of time before the drive’s power save feature takes effect. The
power save feature places the Seagate drive in a standby mode after it has been inactive
for a certain amount of time. The drive automatically returns to active mode whenever
someone accesses folders and files on the drive.
The power save feature is disabled by default on newer Seagate external drives, since most operating systems already include power saving features. However, as an option, the Seagate drive can be set to sleep after a period of time. Select an inactivity period from the list box, or select Never to disable the power save feature. Click the Reset to Default button to set the power save feature back to its original inactivity period."

It might be that the newer drives sense the DVR+ standby mode and spins down???
Either way, it is easy enough to connect the drive to a computer and set the time you desire.

#4,023 ·
I just measured mine: 10 3/4" wide. And it's in a wood cabinet, open front and rear, no problem

MMM, I can't find any dimensional specs on CM's website. They should fix that. One of the great things about it is the small size.

Chuck
Chuck, you are so helpful, now in two threads.

CM has the dimensions for their SMARTenna box, so I'm guessing they just forgot to provide such for the DVR+... Either way, something they should address.

#4,024 ·
I just measured mine: 10 3/4" wide. And it's in a wood cabinet, open front and rear, no problem

MMM, I can't find any dimensional specs on CM's website. They should fix that. One of the great things about it is the small size.

Chuck
Take a look here:

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_Plus_p/cm-7500gb16.htm

and click on the "Technical Specifications" tab.

It is also on the "Slick Sheet" you can download here:

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200633995-CM-7500-Slick-Sheet

Reactions: TonyB1966
#4,026 ·
You're welcome TonyB1966. (BTW, I was born in '66. Good year. ;))

Regarding HDMI switches, depending on your devices, I wouldn't expect auto-switching to work. For example, a Roku is always powered on.

If you have a Harmony remote, and if your switch has a remote control, you can add the switch to your Harmony "activities". For instance, when I press the Watch TV activity, my (TV room) Harmony remote sends signals to four devices, my TV, DVR+, HDMI switch, and AV receiver, turning them all on and setting them to the correct inputs.

Also, when I sit down to watch TV, I usually watch live TV, at least at first, so I plugged the HDMI cable from the DVR+ into the first switch port, because the switch defaults to the first input when it powers on. Doing this in conjunction with setting up the Harmony remotes to control the HDMI switch eliminated any switching problems.
Lost in the drive discussions... I graduated in 66. No, you're a right, a good assumption (birth year).

Apparently the better auto HDMI switches handle always on devices pretty well. As an example, I have a surveillance camera system with DVR and it's obviously always on, outputting a signal (DVI / HDMI) to the TV. This unit is still at the "old" house from which we are moving... Once I get it at the new place, it will try it through the HDMI switch. As explained to me, with it always on, if one comes come and decides to turn on the TV, like the DVR+, the newest signal receives priority, so no problem. And if not, like you explained one can program the H1 or the like to incorporate a manual selection. I have the H1 and still marvel at all that it can do. Some new equipment at the new house already, including the DVR+ which I think I will order after this post... So, I'll need to spend some time getting the H1 all squared-away again.

Right now I'm just trying to improve my reception in a rather tough location. I have enough channels with solid reception though to proceed with not moving my DirecTV service to the new place. I was with them from the Primestar acquisition, so quite a while. And from having been a TiVo employee with lifetime DVR service, DirecTV grandfathered that with the account, not the box. I lose that when I cut the cord, so this is somewhat a big decision for me... With all the available online content and streaming options, I feel pretty comfortable with the decision though. I wish the DVR+ had a way to input streamed content and record it in the same fashion as OTA. If that were doable, I'd get a 2 TB drive for sure. Many of the college games I watch will not be carried on OTA channels. Hopefully I can watch those live...

Fun stuff.

#4,027 · (Edited)
Did anyone else notice this??......
The other day, when programming recordings, I noticed that it suddenly became unnecessary to have the entire show title on the screen in order to see the red indicator. For example, as you're advancing the guide from left to right, I'm in the habit of pressing record as soon as I see the first part of the title. It's always been annoying that you wouldn't be able to see the red confirmation until you advanced further (to the point when the entire title is visible). All of a sudden, I noticed that the red indicator would be visible even with a portion of the title showing (it actually showed up In the middle of the title)!
I thought that this was a real advantage and was really impressed!
Well.....guess what?.....it's gone!!
It seemed to have disappeared with the next Rovi update (this is an assumption).
I'm truly hoping that someone else noticed this!.....trust me, I wouldn't be discussing this here if it were my imagination!
Could it be possible that features (such as this) could be manipulated during guide updates? Was this merely a test?
......since the FW version hasn't changed, what other explanation could there possibly be?......any thoughts??
It's really disappointing that it was so short lived!......and why??
Seems odd to be quoting my own post.....but this may have been missed or ignored (even though I'm trying to spread some potentially positive news that benefits us all!).....
I was programming some recordings this morning......low and behold, the feature/improvement that I mentioned above has mysteriously re-appeared!
Try it yourselves.....
Navigate the guide from left to right (as you would normally do). When the title of a show (longer than 30 minutes) just starts to appear on the screen, hit the record button. You should see the red indicator.
This is actually a very nice improvement (assuming it doesn't mysteriously disappear again)!!
Previously, the entire title would need to be visible in order to see the red confirmation indicator. Although this might be considered a minor inconvenience by some.....I found it to be quite annoying!
I sincerely hope that it doesn't disappear again (as it did the other day)......bizarre!

#4,028 ·
...You should see the red indicator.
This is actually a very nice improvement (assuming it doesn't mysteriously disappear again)...
Doesn't work for me. Furthermore, even if the show is only 30 minutes long, the red indicator still doesn't show unless you scroll right once more to make the whole box visible. So I have no idea what enabled this "feature" on your box.

#4,030 ·
Doesn't work for me. Furthermore, even if the show is only 30 minutes long, the red indicator still doesn't show unless you scroll right once more to make the whole box visible. So I have no idea what enabled this "feature" on your box.
Contrary to popular belief (ha,ha)......
I'm not crazy!.....
This morning, the red indicator appeared in the smallest portion of the show description. It worked for at least 10 different shows on various channels. No need to advance the guide to the entire description to see the red indicator.
.....Now, (at 5:50 PM) it's gone again!!
Back to having to display the entire description in order to see the red indicator!.....So frustrating!!
BTW.....I checked with a friend this morning (while I had the mystery feature) and he didn't have it, so I'm not surprised that you didn't see the change either!
The only thing that changed for me was that the guide updated after I had the new feature this morning. This is the second time that this has happened!
......I'm calling Sherlock Holmes!
Seriously, whomever is reading this.....
check for this change once or twice daily at this point. I don't see how I could be the only one!
.....Trust me, it's a really nice change (for the brief time that I had it)!

#4,031 ·
Standard Warranty & Software Updates

Am I reading the standard warranty correctly, that free software updates are included only during this one year period?

OWNER SUPPORT

Standard Warranty
– The DVR+ come with a one-year limited warranty including 90 days of technical support backed by Channel Master’s US based technical support representatives.

During your standard limited warranty period you'll get:
One year of parts and labor coverage on the hardware (software and user wearable parts not covered).
90 days of complimentary technical assistance via on-line chat, & e-mail.
90 days of toll-free technical support in English or Spanish.
Automatic software updates.
++++++

I'm guessing or at least hoping that automatic software updates are always free... If so, the above is a bit confusing.

#4,032 · (Edited)
Am I reading the standard warranty correctly, that free software updates are included only during this one year period?

OWNER SUPPORT

Standard Warranty
– The DVR+ come with a one-year limited warranty including 90 days of technical support backed by Channel Master’s US based technical support representatives.

One year of parts and labor coverage on the hardware (software and user wearable parts not covered).
++++++
I'm guessing or at least hoping that automatic software updates are always free... If so, the above is a bit confusing.
It's blatantly obvious that they're trying to encourage customers to upgrade the warranty! It would be horrible public relations to not provide technical support (regardless of how long you own the unit), especially when you consider how long it's taken for this unit to truly be ready for distribution (it's been a "work in progress" for approx. six months)!
What are they going to do?.....start charging for tech support?.....yikes!
There were too many problems for too long a period of time! It's only very recently that this unit could truly be considered "ready for prime time"!
If anything, they should consider extending everyone's warranty, as a courtesy!
Insofar as updates are concerned.....
once they're out there, they're up for grabs.....not to worry!

#4,033 ·

OWNER SUPPORT

Standard Warranty

++++++

I don't have inside knowledge - this is pure speculation. Perhaps its legalese to state that we're not entitled to maintenance forever. Currently CM publishes releases on their web-site. Unless our units have knowledge of sale date built into them and the firmware designed to not update 1 year after the sale manual updates will always work. I don't believe any company would have such a policy as it's not worth the loss of goodwill. So either an oversight or what I speculated above. I'm not losing sleep over it. Yes, there are UI improvements I'd like to see (the recording indicator that others have mentioned is one of them), but does not take away from the fact that with the 1TB CM recommended disk I use the unit records and plays back solidly.

#4,034 ·
Thanks for the thoughts on this topic... I would guess that auto updates would always be available and as a worst case scenario, they can be manually downloaded from CM's website. Just something that caught my eye...

Damn, looks like free shipping is no longer available. I had used "DAD" three days ago and it stated free shipping through June.

#4,035 ·
...Damn, looks like free shipping is no longer available. I had used "DAD" three days ago and it stated free shipping through June.
You might want to wait and see if they offer any kind of special for the upcoming 4th of July holiday. For the Memorial Day weekend they offered a FREE 2-year extended warranty (worth $39.99) with your DVR+ purchase.

#4,036 ·
You might want to wait and see if they offer any kind of special for the upcoming 4th of July holiday. For the Memorial Day weekend they offered a FREE 2-year extended warranty (worth $39.99) with your DVR+ purchase.
Thank you trp2525. I actually got a PM here where someone mentioned that potential. I guess it's just another week or two, but I'm really wanting the DVR+ sooner as opposed to later...

Independence Day sounds like the perfect time for a special offer for those seeking to be liberated!

#4,038 ·
Channel Master Gives Aereo Subscribers Free Antenna and DVR Discount

PHOENIX, AZ – June 26, 2014 – Channel Master extends subscription-free TV Freedom™ solution to Aereo subscribers with offer that includes a free antenna and discounted DVR. The offer comes in the wake of yesterday’s Supreme Court decision that sided with broadcasters over Aereo, stating that the service is not legal.

Through July 6 Aereo subscribers can contact Channel Master, present a copy of their June 2014 bill and receive a bundle that includes the SMARTenna, DVR+, and USB WiFi Adapter for $269.99, a savings of $80 off retail price.

“The Supreme Court outcome was unfortunate for Aereo subscribers. They can still have live broadcast TV and use a DVR in a legal manner, absolutely subscription-free,” said Shelley O’Connell, marketing director at Channel Master. “Because Aereo subscribers have been paying a monthly fee, we’re giving them a great deal to purchase our TV Freedom solution at a deep discount.”

Channel Master’s SMARTenna is an advanced multi-directional antenna, no pointing required, for use indoors or outdoors, and receives television broadcast signals from up 50 miles. SMARTenna is small, sleek, weatherproof, and does not require amplification.

The DVR+ comes with dual tuners, allowing users to record two programs at once or record one program while watching another, and includes popular DVR features such as pausing live TV, skipping back and skipping forward. The 14-day channel guide is included in the price of the product, eliminating the need for a monthly subscription fee.

“We’ve been serving consumers in the broadcast TV market for decades,” O’Connell says. “We know TV. If you’re going to cut the cable cord and do it right, we’re the people you want to talk to.”

Aereo subscribers can contact Channel Master by calling 1-877-746-7261 or emailing sales@channelmaster.com. For those who are not Aereo subscribers, the company is offering free shipping on the entire order with purchase of a DVR+ through July 6.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...ers-free-antenna-and-dvr-discount-1924724.htm

#4,039 ·
Nice move on the part of CM, of course non Aereo folks(and maybe people on this board who've recently purchased a DVR+) may feel a bit slighted but I think it's a timely offer by CM and points to the fact that they seem interested in continuing to market and sell the DVR+.

#4,040 ·
Nice move on the part of CM, of course non Aereo folks(and maybe people on this board who've recently purchased a DVR+) may feel a bit slighted but I think it's a timely offer by CM and points to the fact that they seem interested in continuing to market and sell the DVR+.
When opportunity knocks . . .

But yes, it does point to them having an active marketing person looking to promote the DVR+.

Especially now that they have worked out all the bugs and don't have to bother updating the firmware any more ;)