Problem getting a Genie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is getting ridiculous. I have been a DirecTV customer since 1996. We have 8 HD-DVRs (large family) so have filled our swm-16. We want to upgrade one of them to the the Genie so my wife can record more shows at once and have more storage. While we are at it, we wanted to put a genie mini in another room. That is the only room we even care about watching content from the genie, and that part isn't important.

When I was on the phone placing my order, I asked the lady if it would work in our house with the number of receivers we have. She assured me that the installer would bring the required equipment.

The first installer showed up, looked at the work order wrong, thought we only had 5 receivers. When he got here and I showed him the "more" button on his phone, he said it wouldn't work. THat we needed a SWM-32, which he didn't bring. He called to get one scheduled, then told me they can't install it in a home. That I either had to have a second dish installed or replace two additional DVRs.. I suggested simply setting 3 of our DVRs to single tuner, he said that wouldn't' work when I'm pretty certain it would. He refused to even try.

I reluctantly said replace two additional DVRs with the Genie mini, he didn't have them on his truck and still had to reschedule us to have it done later.

The 2nd installer just came and left. He looked at our wiring. Our house is wired RG-6 from the basement to every TV. He said our wiring wouldn't work. He said our wiring is RG-6 rated at 2.4 GHz and that the genie required 3 GHz and he refused to install it. I can find no reference to this requirement anywhere.

So we've had two installers out and still don't have the genie that I know i could have installed myself in a matter of minutes. I installed most of the receivers in our home before they started requiring installers do it. Who do I contact at DirecTV to get this taken care of? Is there still a customer retention number?

custom printed apparel http://www.inktastic.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You don't need or will have a SWiM-32 installed.

For residential use, two SWiM-16s are used:

I know personally several customers that have that DirecTV install these.

"Sounds like" you just need to get a qualified/trained installer.
Alan Dail likes this.

A.K.A. VOS
post #3 of 23 Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^ Thanks for that, that is very helpful.

What about the RG-6 issue. Will our cabling work? Everything I've read says it should. The installer acted like I had RG-59 and really had no idea what he was talking about when he described what would happen if he installed with our cabling. HE said the genie mini would just be stuck "searching for signal", which is ridiculous. The genie mini just needs 5Mhz or so bandwidth to stream HD video.

post #4 of 23 Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Your RG6 will be fine. The installer was finding things to NOT to the install.

The genie mini uses the DECA/MoCA networking, which is a 50 MHz bandwidth around 550 MHz.

A.K.A. VOS
post #5 of 23 Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks, that's what I thought, they were finding reasons to not do any work. I thought it was absurd the first guy didn't have any extra equipment on his truck. I guess they get paid something to come out and not actually do anything? If he would have simply left the equipment I would have it up and running now.

At least this way I'm going to get them to upgrade my switch.

post #6 of 23 Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I now have the genie installed and have everything except the feed line splitters to let me use dual tuners on all of the DVRs. Rather than have them come out again for that, I will just get my own. Is there a specific part number?

post #7 of 23 Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dail View Post

I now have the genie installed and have everything except the feed line splitters to let me use dual tuners on all of the DVRs. Rather than have them come out again for that, I will just get my own. Is there a specific part number?
confused.gif
To have a Genie, you have a SWiM [single wire multiswitch], so your DVRs only need one coax for both tuners to work.

A.K.A. VOS
post #8 of 23 Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I mean I have the two SWiM-16s, but not the 4 splitters that I need to put in front of them to use both. From the picture you posted.

post #9 of 23 Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I mean I have the two SWiM-16s, but not the 4 splitters that I need to put in front of them to use both. From the picture you posted.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=sp2waphl&d=skywalker-2-way-splitter-for-off-air-and-satellite-signals-%28sky23302d%29&sku=610370581735

A.K.A. VOS
post #10 of 23 Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks, I ordered those. I still have some issues/questions.

first, in the picture, it says terminate all unused connections. My current swim has two of these.

The little things screwed in are missing from the empty connections. Is that going to cause problems because something isn't working right. Also, why is one of them red?

And is also says use the smallest splitter possible. Is there something different I should be using?

The genie isn't recording full shows. They all get 771 errors. We also have seen 775 errors and have seen some sporadic pixilation watching live tv.

Is there anything else I should check?

thanks for all of your help

post #11 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 05:39 AM

I will appreciate answers to the following about the Genie and clients: 1) I currently have two HD DVRs, each receiving two coax cables from a splitter mounted on the house wall below the dish. With installation of a Genie will new cables have to be run to the Genie and to a new client or can one of the existing two cables be used at each of the two locations? Is a new splitter installed with one cable to each receiver? I really don't want to have to run new cables. If I understand correctly, there is not a cable that runs directly from the Genie to the client, correct? 2). Will the Directv remotes that I use with the current HR-21 receivers work with both the Genie and the client?I don't want to have to program new receivers. 3) in my current setup I use HDMI from directv receiver to tv and a optical audio cable from the directv receiver to a home theater receiver for receiving audio into the home theater receiver. Without a optical output on the Genie can the optical coax or component cables be used to deliver audio to the home theater receiver? Which would be best, digital or component for delivering audio? 4) from the client, component output can be sent to another tv by using a dongle that attaches to the multi-av output to a component connection, correct?
post #12 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks, I ordered those. I still have some issues/questions.

first, in the picture, it says terminate all unused connections. My current swim has two of these.

The little things screwed in are missing from the empty connections. Is that going to cause problems because something isn't working right. Also, why is one of them red?

And is also says use the smallest splitter possible. Is there something different I should be using?

The genie isn't recording full shows. They all get 771 errors. We also have seen 775 errors and have seen some sporadic pixilation watching live tv.

Is there anything else I should check?

thanks for all of your help
Not using/having the open ports terminated may be the cause of your problems.
The red ports indicate the [DC] power passing, for when you need to have the PI connected through a splitter.

Using a splitter smaller than the 8-way helps when there are long coax runs.

A.K.A. VOS
post #13 of 23 Old 07-20-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I tightened connections, removed unused cables, and added the terminators and now everything works great.

thanks again for all of your help

post #14 of 23 Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got the adapters and hooked up the second swim-16 and all of the tuners work now. I have two more questions

only the receivers connected to the first SWIM see the internet. Do I need a second DECA?

Can I use a second genie and a second mini-genie that operate independently of the first pair? i.e. the new pair and the existing pair would have independent play lists?

post #15 of 23 Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the adapters and hooked up the second swim-16 and all of the tuners work now. I have two more questions

only the receivers connected to the first SWIM see the internet. Do I need a second DECA?

Can I use a second genie and a second mini-genie that operate independently of the first pair? i.e. the new pair and the existing pair would have independent play lists?
A second DECA/internet connection will be needed.

Currently only one Genie is authorized per account.

A.K.A. VOS
post #16 of 23 Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We've had a couple of glitches since I added the second swim.

My wife had the tv on channel 229 (HGTV-HD) and for 5 to 10 minutes the signal was almost completely lost. Just some random blobs of pixels. I went to a different receiver that is on the other swim and got the same thing. I did signal strength and satellite 103CA shows a signal of 0 on all of the odd numbered transponders. I checked this one because I saw a table that said this channel is on 103CD, transponder 21. The even ones all had values 89 and above. After a few minutes the picture came back and now all transponders on that satellite show vales of 89 or above.

edit: it started doing it again

post #17 of 23 Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We've had a couple of glitches since I added the second swim.

My wife had the tv on channel 229 (HGTV-HD) and for 5 to 10 minutes the signal was almost completely lost. Just some random blobs of pixels. I went to a different receiver that is on the other swim and got the same thing. I did signal strength and satellite 103CA shows a signal of 0 on all of the odd numbered transponders. I checked this one because I saw a table that said this channel is on 103CD, transponder 21. The even ones all had values 89 and above. After a few minutes the picture came back and now all transponders on that satellite show vales of 89 or above.

edit: it started doing it again
There are four lines between the dish/LNB and the SWiM(s).
0 on all "odd" tps is a sign there is a problem on the 13 volt line. Even tps would be the 18 volt.
99 & 101 are the "no tone" pair, while 103 [plus 110 & 119 if present] is the "tone" [22 KHz] pair.

If both SWiMs are doing this, then it would be between the output of the splitter and the LNB that the problem is.

With a single SWiM it's easy to swap the 13 & 18 volt lines and see if the zeros change from odd to even.
Sometimes it's just a bad connection, and I swapped mine and the zeros went away.
If there isn't a change and the zeros are still there, it might be a bad LNB.

A.K.A. VOS
post #18 of 23 Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I realize this may be a more involved question than I'd like for it to be. I am moving within the next week and have scheduled to have my D service moved. Currently, I have an HD DVR (HR21 that just happened to die this week), two HD receivers and two SD receivers. I'm packing everything up and moving it to swap out for upgrades at the new house. There I will have a 5 tv's connected by a Genie and Mini Genie's. (No charges for anything by the way plus programming discounts reducing total bill to less than $100).

This is not a new construction but we are doing some remodeling of the older home. The house has never had HD service and previous installers ran coax up through holes in the floors and such, so no wall mounts (argh!). Because of a drop ceiling in the basement, with a little work I can at least get it to where there are wall mounts and PERHAPS have the installer(s) finish off the connectors.

In the house I'm leaving, it was a new construction so everything was run to a media box and when I built out the basement I ran Cat 5 and coax to a couple extra areas for HD set up. What I'm posting now is to ask, with a Genie install to 5 tv's what's require cable-wise? I'm trying to figure out if I need to pull my Cat 5 and Coax from my basement to use at the house where we're moving.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 322
All you need is coax to each room from some central location. They might pull new RG6 just to the Genie if the old house happens to have RG59 or something like that. You don't need Cat5 because it's sent over the coax along with the MoCA (DECA to be precise).
post #20 of 23 Old 07-25-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 116
That's helpful, thanks. I can drill and cut for wall mounts connections ahead of time (instead of them coming thru the floor) so they won't have to fish thru and speed up the install. They can pull the RG-6 themselves I guess and in theory I'll be good to go.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

0 on all "odd" tps is a sign there is a problem on the 13 volt line. Even tps would be the 18 volt.
99 & 101 are the "no tone" pair, while 103 [plus 110 & 119 if present] is the "tone" [22 KHz] pair.

If both SWiMs are doing this, then it would be between the output of the splitter and the LNB that the problem is.

With a single SWiM it's easy to swap the 13 & 18 volt lines and see if the zeros change from odd to even.
Sometimes it's just a bad connection, and I swapped mine and the zeros went away.

I tightened a loose connection and noticed I was missing a terminator, it all seems to work now.

I also rearranged the receiver connections so all of the ones I care about on demand are on the same SWM so now I don't need a second deca.

post #22 of 23 Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

the problem came back, I think something was going bad and is now getting worse? I swapped the 13 and 18 volt lines on the side that feeds the splitter, thus swapped the inputs to both swims at once. On both swims, the odd channels are still gone. So this means I need a new LNB, right? Is this the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/Directv-Slimline-Four-Slim-Line/dp/B007TXVD7K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374864130&sr=8-5&keywords=directv+lnb

edit: or could it be the splitter?

post #23 of 23 Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the problem came back, I think something was going bad and is now getting worse? I swapped the 13 and 18 volt lines on the side that feeds the splitter, thus swapped the inputs to both swims at once. On both swims, the odd channels are still gone. So this means I need a new LNB, right? Is this the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/Directv-Slimline-Four-Slim-Line/dp/B007TXVD7K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374864130&sr=8-5&keywords=directv+lnb

edit: or could it be the splitter?
It is "looking like" it might be the LNB, but you should eliminate the splitter as a cause. They very rarely are bad, but this doesn't mean one can't be.

You have 2 SWiMs, so it's very doubtful they both have problems with their 13 volt output.

If you can connect the LNB straight to a SWiM it should help narrow this down.

A.K.A. VOS
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page