6Likes

post #361 of 1459 Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

As far as your previous comment about flash drives, since you just got this box today, you would do well to assume that the many people who have had problems recording to average speed flash drives may actually know more than you about this issue. You can read any theoretical thing you want about speeds, but when person after person says they cannot get good recordings to flash drives unless they are high speed, your theory doesn't matter. We were trying to help you not waste money and be able to use your new Homeworx as soon as possible. If you already knew everything about how this box functions and interacts with other technology, you wouldn't be here asking questions.
Need some dip with that chip?
I posted that I actually TESTED my flash drives and they were at least twice the required speed as someone ELSE posted they needed to be, and aside from this I also watched the data rate the PVR was recording at, which was BELOW what the max rate I read was for ATSC.
Some people just look for a reason to have a pissing contest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1459 Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermg View Post

Need some dip with that chip?
I posted that I actually TESTED my flash drives and they were at least twice the required speed as someone ELSE posted they needed to be, and aside from this I also watched the data rate the PVR was recording at, which was BELOW what the max rate I read was for ATSC.
Some people just look for a reason to have a pissing contest.

Well you totally missed the point again and certainly made me regret the time I spent helping you. And there was no contest. I'll ignore your requests for help from now on.
petermg likes this.
post #363 of 1459 Old 10-07-2013, 09:53 PM

Liked: 10
What does v13 of the firmware have to offer that v8 does not have?
post #364 of 1459 Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevan49 View Post

What does v13 of the firmware have to offer that v8 does not have?

I was wondering the same thing. I can't even find any mention of that version on their website. I even Googled it and can't find any references to it.
post #365 of 1459 Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 AM

My Sony KDL-46S5100 only outputs PCM via its optical digital output. I want to hear OTA programs in Dolby Digital surround sound when applicable. I'm assuming this list means that if I got one of these it could output (RAW) Dolby Digital via its coaxial digital connector, at least when an OTA program has DD encoded within it. And ClearQAM being offered is pretty much a necessity for me. The fact that it can also act as a DVR would just be icing on the cake.

[Sorry if the answer is addressed later in the thread... I've been reading from the beginning and think I've seen the answer. I just want to be absolutely positive before purchasing a unit for myself.]
post #366 of 1459 Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 AM

I'm wondering if this might be an option for connecting the Homeworx to WiFi: the Eye-fi Pro X2. It's a class 10 SD card with built-in wifi. It's designed to automatically upload pictures and videos from cameras, when the camera is in range of the home wifi. It has an option to automatically delete the picture or videos, giving you a "limitless" SD card is uploaded.

The usage model I'm thinking about is this: The eye-fi is plugged into an SD-to-USB adapter, which is plugged into the HW-150PVR. The HW-15PVR records to it. Once the HW-150PVR recording is completed, the Eye-fi automatically uploads it to ones computer or NAS via wi-fi, just as it would if it were plugged into a camera. Then it's available for viewing, without having had to walk over, pulling the flash drive out of the HW-150PVR, and inserting it into the computer's USB. It's not real-time, but it sounds attractive.The size of the Eye-fi card just needs to be enough, theoretically, to hold one or two shows, since they will get transferred automatically to the home computer or NAS's disk.

Is there a hole in my idea?

petermg likes this.
post #367 of 1459 Old 10-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestie View Post

I'm wondering if this might be an option for connecting the Homeworx to WiFi: the Eye-fi Pro X2. It's a class 10 SD card with built-in wifi. It's designed to automatically upload pictures and videos from cameras, when the camera is in range of the home wifi. It has an option to automatically delete the picture or videos, giving you a "limitless" SD card is uploaded.

The usage model I'm thinking about is this: The eye-fi is plugged into an SD-to-USB adapter, which is plugged into the HW-150PVR. The HW-15PVR records to it. Once the HW-150PVR recording is completed, the Eye-fi automatically uploads it to ones computer or NAS via wi-fi, just as it would if it were plugged into a camera. Then it's available for viewing, without having had to walk over, pulling the flash drive out of the HW-150PVR, and inserting it into the computer's USB. It's not real-time, but it sounds attractive.The size of the Eye-fi card just needs to be enough, theoretically, to hold one or two shows, since they will get transferred automatically to the home computer or NAS's disk.

This actually sounds AWESOMELY close to what I was wanting to do!!! I'm going to look more into this. So far the ONLY issue I can see is how long it would take to upload an hour program across my wifi, they are about 6 gigs or more. I'll have to do some speed testing. But it looks like this can be done!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif GOOD FIND!!
post #368 of 1459 Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:

One more thing, I was hoping for a USB drive or maybe ENCLOSURE that could share it's contents via SAMBA on the network via WIFI WHILE being plugged into a host device and written to. It's contents being shared as READ-ONLY of course, but thus far I have found NO PRODUCT like this whatsoever.
post #369 of 1459 Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Well, this may be a showstopper. I found this FAQ on the eyefi site: Video files are limited to less than 2GB for both your computer and online sharing site.

The eyefi card can store files larger that 2G, but it will only automatically transfer them if they are less than that.

post #370 of 1459 Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Well, this may be a showstopper. I found this FAQ on the eyefi site: Video files are limited to less than 2GB for both your computer and online sharing site.
The eyefi card can store files larger that 2G, but it will only automatically transfer them if they are less than that.

Ah. Ok then it's not really a practical option. I can't imagine it's impossible for there to be a device like the one I described. I mean I can attach a USB drive to my PC, write to it and have it shared on the network at the same time. So I know it's not an access violation problem. Maybe just no one has seen the need to manufacture something like that? A USB drive that can be written to by it's host and simultaneously shared as a NAS / SAMBA share on the network.
post #371 of 1459 Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Toshiba has a similar flash card with wifi SD card for cameras called "flashair". It works a bit differently, though. Rather than connect to an existing wifi network, it creates its own access point and other devices connect to it. It doesn't upload the files, but rather it lets you browse the SD card and use them. It's only 8 GB. I wonder if there's a way to get it connected to the home wifi through some sort of bridge, and have a script on the PC poll it and move the video file when it detects one (i.e. copy it to the computer's local disk and delete the file on the flashair, and then have that local disk accessible the home's primary wifi?

post #372 of 1459 Old 10-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Sorry for the repeated postings this may be better - the Transcend Wi-Fi enabled SD card. It does connect to a home wifi and comes in a larger 16 or 32G size. Let's you browse the files from the computer.

post #373 of 1459 Old 10-10-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 289
The Transcend cards have mixed reviews on Amazon, and the only Newegg reviewer gives it just one egg. The main problems seem to be regarding speed (especially when writing large files, which could be a crippling deficiency with a DVR) and bad, buggy software that's written in Java.
post #374 of 1459 Old 10-15-2013, 06:19 PM

I just discovered the HW-150PVR about a week ago and received mine via UPS yesterday.

WOW, $$ well spent.

I was looking for a reasonably priced ATSC tuner with DIGITAL (via HDMI out)....

Not only did I get one for about $50, but I also now have the ability to record to a thumb or external hard drive. WOW!

I do have a couple of questions......

With the most up to date firmware, what is the largest THUMB DRIVE that will be accepted (what is the bottom line speed on the thumb drive for successful recording). Same for external Hard drive.

Has anyone used a USB to SD (or microSD card) for the equivalent of above.

IF so, what is the mininum suggested speed for the micro SD card?

On a totally different note: Scanning gets me 6 channels I dont want to watch (and I would prefer to be able to skip over them when channeling up or down)....Is there a way to edit these channels out....if so, I have missed it and I apologize for the newbie questions. [IE Channel Editing DELETING channels]

While I realize the world has gone digital, I do have a question which had ANALOG wishes (and I realize the HW-150PVR does NOT advertise itself as having analog abilities)...but can the unit tune in an analog signal. Before I am criticized for asking, I will explain why. I have an apartment building with FREE OTA signal piped in to each Apartment (total 8). I ALSO have a video monitoring system which is added to the OTA signal but is on an analog channel (to modulate to a digital channel is thus far, out of my budget)...so is it possible or could this be achieved in a firmware update (I realize the demand is VERY low.]

My intent is to purchase one of thse for each apartment.

MANY thanks for all the eyes who view this forum and the GREAT technical support provided by the manufacturer!!

My old Samsung is now being recycled and is no longer collecting dust in my AV cabinet.
post #375 of 1459 Old 10-15-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You need at least 20 Mbps throughput to be able to record 1080i at full bandwidth. Any HDD can easily achieve that, but many flash drives cannot, and since flash drives don't have a standardised speed rating, there may not be any way to know whether a particular make and model will work without trying it. A class 4 or better SD card would be fast enough, but SDHC cards only store up to 32 GB, and SDXC cards have a low GB / $ ratio compared to HDDs.

As for analogue capabilities, no current DVRs have NTSC tuners combined with MPEG hardware encoders, and most have neither. You need a USB or PCI-E tuner card for that.
post #376 of 1459 Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just use the analog tuner already built into your tv set for the analog channels. You can split your antenna wire between the tv and the dvr with an A/B switch from Radio Shack. They even have a remote control one that they are selling very cheap to clear the shelves. Or, you can get a simple 2-way splitter even cheaper and use that.

You won't be able to record them (unless you get or have a vcr) but you can watch THEM, and record something else on the DVR for watching later.
post #377 of 1459 Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nejpski View Post

I just discovered the HW-150PVR about a week ago and received mine via UPS yesterday.

WOW, $$ well spent.

I was looking for a reasonably priced ATSC tuner with DIGITAL (via HDMI out)....

Not only did I get one for about $50, but I also now have the ability to record to a thumb or external hard drive. WOW!

I do have a couple of questions......

With the most up to date firmware, what is the largest THUMB DRIVE that will be accepted (what is the bottom line speed on the thumb drive for successful recording). Same for external Hard drive.

Has anyone used a USB to SD (or microSD card) for the equivalent of above.

IF so, what is the mininum suggested speed for the micro SD card?

On a totally different note: Scanning gets me 6 channels I dont want to watch (and I would prefer to be able to skip over them when channeling up or down)....Is there a way to edit these channels out....if so, I have missed it and I apologize for the newbie questions. [IE Channel Editing DELETING channels]

While I realize the world has gone digital, I do have a question which had ANALOG wishes (and I realize the HW-150PVR does NOT advertise itself as having analog abilities)...but can the unit tune in an analog signal. Before I am criticized for asking, I will explain why. I have an apartment building with FREE OTA signal piped in to each Apartment (total 8). I ALSO have a video monitoring system which is added to the OTA signal but is on an analog channel (to modulate to a digital channel is thus far, out of my budget)...so is it possible or could this be achieved in a firmware update (I realize the demand is VERY low.]

My intent is to purchase one of thse for each apartment.

MANY thanks for all the eyes who view this forum and the GREAT technical support provided by the manufacturer!!

My old Samsung is now being recycled and is no longer collecting dust in my AV cabinet.

The largest thumb drive is any thumb drive since the highest capacity is well below what is supported. A 2TB HDD is supported.

As far as speed, each channel will transmit at a different bitrate, even if they say 1080 HD, because of different compression and how how each station decides to use their available bandwidth. My highest bitrate station records at 17.6 Mbps. Another records at 13 something Mbps and SD channels of course are lower. Assuming you want to record all stations and shows without problems, you should look for 18Mbps write speed minimum.

You will not really know until you have a USB stick in your possession what the true write speed is since they are not held to standards and vary widely. Even when manufacturers post speeds, they are not real life speeds. A USB 3.0 drive (which would be backwards compatible to the USB 2.0 of the Homeworx) would be your best bet but is really unnecessarily expensive. There are high speed USB 2.0 flash drives that could do the trick, but you won't know for sure until you try it for yourself on your highest bitrate station on a 1080i broadcast.

I have used a Class 4 micro SD card with success. SD cards are held to minimum standards and typically exceed them. Class 4 or above you will not have to worry about.

USB flash drives and SD cards are much more expensive than hard drives per capacity, so unless portability outside your home is important, then I'd really recommend using a hard drive. You will not have to worry about speeds with HDD.

There is no analog tuner - no firmware update can change that.

You can skip unwanted channels by going into Menu - Program Edit. Highlight the channel and press whatever number it says at the bottom of the screen next to "Skip" It will not show up when using the Channel up and down buttons after that. There's also a Delete option there if you are sure you don't want the channel at all.
post #378 of 1459 Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 AM

After 1 week of using this thing I'm enjoying it. Yeah a few bugs but right now I've not found too many. After 1 week of recording I transferred my recordings to my PC, store them in folders of the names of the shows recorded, then using XMedia Recode I compressed them to mp4 at the Constant Quality 20 setting and deinterlace using Yadif set to "Bob, temporal & spatial" with order set to Auto and I'm getting very nice results. The files are reduced by 33% to 66%, depending on the content. Very nice and I can stream them over my media server to either of my televisions wink.gif If the AC3 is 2 channel I just copy the stream instead of re-encoding it although my PS3 can't play AC3 streams in mp4 video files frown.gif. Next on the agenda is cutting out the commercials biggrin.gif
post #379 of 1459 Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Your rapid responses are greatly appreciated.

Analog tuner: As I anticipated and thanks for the heads up on the splitter option. I will probably wait and eventually purchase a digital modulator.

RE: Drive sizes and speeds. As you have suggested, I was no able to find speeds on thumb drives hence my thought about a micro-SD card. The "4" speed or better seems a realistic option.

RE: Hard drive. I have had numerous hard drives go down over the years, so was considering the non-mechanical option. [Unfortunately all my spare external drives are 3TB and apparently not useable with the system.]

EDIT OUT CHANNELS: Thanks, I dont know why I had missed that, the responses are ALL GREATLY appreciated.

Great box....great price...I am STILL very happy with my purchase.

AND ALSO very happy with the concerned fellow forum members for dedicating their time....
post #380 of 1459 Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nejpski View Post.

RE: Hard drive. I have had numerous hard drives go down over the years, so was considering the non-mechanical option. [Unfortunately all my spare external drives are 3TB and apparently not useable with the system.]

I'd try one of your 3TB HDDs since usable HDD capacity is usually set in the FW, so it *might* just LIMIT your larger HDDs to 2TB???

post #381 of 1459 Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM

I picked up a second one of these boxes. The first unit uses v10 and has a different remote set up from the new unit which has V13 firmware, which I cannot find anything out about in terms of how it is different from V8 (V10 was the QAM firmware, which I don't use anyway).

So I have 2 different remotes and different firmware versions. Anyone know what's up? The remotes are different and they don't appear to be completely interchangable as I would expect them to be.
post #382 of 1459 Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 PM

Just received mine (the version 13 with new remote). Works good but I have an issue when I power down with the remote. The led turns red for about 5 seconds then flashes back to green. Its not staying in sleep mode so to turn the unit off I must use the power button on the unit itself. I've booked the unit up with HDMI and component and have this issue either way. Any ideas guys? PS hope they update the fw to have a 12 hour clock setting.
post #383 of 1459 Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermg View Post

If the AC3 is 2 channel I just copy the stream instead of re-encoding it although my PS3 can't play AC3 streams in mp4 video files frown.gif

That's because MP4 doesn't allow Dolby Digital. It's a limited container that's only designed to handle AVC and AAC. If you want support for other codecs, you should use MKV.
post #384 of 1459 Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawne Kleckner View Post

I picked up a second one of these boxes. The first unit uses v10 and has a different remote set up from the new unit which has V13 firmware, which I cannot find anything out about in terms of how it is different from V8 (V10 was the QAM firmware, which I don't use anyway).

So I have 2 different remotes and different firmware versions. Anyone know what's up? The remotes are different and they don't appear to be completely interchangable as I would expect them to be.

V10 was not the QAM firmware, V12 was. But V12 is not listed any more because Homeworx is no longer supporting QAM. V10 was the version that fixed the daily/weekly recording bugs and other glitches. I don't know what V13 is, since I went back to my iView's firmware once they upgraded the remote and fixed the same recording bugs that Homeworx did.
post #385 of 1459 Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #386 of 1459 Old 10-17-2013, 05:58 PM

So I've had one of these for about a month, but just started playing with it. It was purchased as an emergency tuner for my panel when my last DTV HDR250 finally died and football was coming on in an hour.

I have now updated the firmware (V10) and should be good to go, but have a couple of quick questions:

1) The one thing I had been using before now was time shift - I have a 1tb HDD hooked up to it and set time shift capacity to 4gb in the menu which seemed to be the maximum. I only get about 30 minutes of HD time shift with these settings. Does that sound right? In theory I would like to have at least an hour so I can start watching football an hour in and catch up right about at the end of the game.

2) I have yet to PVR anything, but when I finally updated the firmware I had to format the drive to FAT32 so it could be seen by my Mac. Do I recall that FAT32 has a max file size of 4gb (and is this why time shift max is 4gb)? If so, wouldn't that be too small to record an entire football game in HD? If so, what do I need to do to enable larger file size recordings?

Thanks for the help.
post #387 of 1459 Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoiceoreason View Post

So I've had one of these for about a month, but just started playing with it. It was purchased as an emergency tuner for my panel when my last DTV HDR250 finally died and football was coming on in an hour.

I have now updated the firmware (V10) and should be good to go, but have a couple of quick questions:

1) The one thing I had been using before now was time shift - I have a 1tb HDD hooked up to it and set time shift capacity to 4gb in the menu which seemed to be the maximum. I only get about 30 minutes of HD time shift with these settings. Does that sound right? In theory I would like to have at least an hour so I can start watching football an hour in and catch up right about at the end of the game.

2) I have yet to PVR anything, but when I finally updated the firmware I had to format the drive to FAT32 so it could be seen by my Mac. Do I recall that FAT32 has a max file size of 4gb (and is this why time shift max is 4gb)? If so, wouldn't that be too small to record an entire football game in HD? If so, what do I need to do to enable larger file size recordings?

Thanks for the help.

For the highest bitrate stations that is correct that you will only get a bit over half an hour of timeshifting. That is not dependent on the format/file system of your drive. The 4GB max timeshifting is a firmware limitation.

You can record for as long as the capacity of your drive allows. With FAT32 it will divide the recording into multiple files that will play as one file on the homeworx but on your computer will be segments. I know there are programs that allow you to use NTFS drives with Macs. You may want to look into those because with NTFS format it will record in a single file.
post #388 of 1459 Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're recording a network that has only one 1080i channel with no sub-channels, then yes, 4 GB is the size of thirty minutes of content. The size of the recordings depends on what bitrate the channel uses. Here is a very general breakdown on the kind of file sizes you might see for one hour of programming:

1080i (max): 8 GB
1080i (with sub-channels): 6 GB
720p: 4 GB
480i: 2 GB

FAT32 cannot store files larger than 4 GB, so you must split the files in order to record something larger than that. You need to use NTFS (or a Linux filesystem, such as ext2) to get large file support, but more advanced filesystems tend to have lower compatibility. Come to think of it, has anyone tried to use ext2 yet? Most of these DVRs have some type of Linux under their hoods, so they would theoretically be able to read ext2.
post #389 of 1459 Old 10-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Come to think of it, has anyone tried to use ext2 yet? Most of these DVRs have some type of Linux under their hoods, so they would theoretically be able to read ext2.

Ext2 doesn't work. I also previously tried ext4.
post #390 of 1459 Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a pity, but thanks for the confirmation.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page