Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #451 of 1456 Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks, yeah I saw where you posted that. My window to return was closing fast so I just returned both of them.

The one other thing on them that really bothered me to some degree was no display, no record light or anything. I had three recordings in 2 days just stop on me - it isn't very user friendly when you have to watch the hard drive to see if it is recording.

Do you know if the iview tuner is the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1456 Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Good point - it just has a "red=standby; green=on" LED. They should probably change that to "red=recording; green=on; yellow=both" so you could always tell at a glance when a show was being recorded. And my HDD light flashes whenever connected to the Homeworx, whether recording or not. (To be fair, it flashes quite a bit more during recordings.)

AFAIK the iView and Homeworx are identical, except for the firmware, remotes and display; so you'll probably have the same tuner issues with an iView. Hopefully a simple attenuator will help.

I thought the iView's display only showed the current channel, but I'm unsure whether or not it indicates recordings as well. The first iViews had terrible firmware issues, but the latest update seems more stable.
post #453 of 1456 Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
The iview does not have a recording indicator either and the channel number shown is not the real channel number, although once you use it enough you can probably remember which number corresponds to at least your most watched channels. The homeworx firmware is still more stable and reliable than iview, which has improved but still does not have the stability of homeworx.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #454 of 1456 Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Looking to buy one of these (HW-150PVR), been reading many of the previous posts, looks it will do what I need. Forgive me if I ask a redundant question: on USB thumb drives, are there ones that work particularly better than others with this unit? I understand that many folks use ext HDD, just curious how the unit works with a thumb drive USB storage. A 1 hr program takes roughly how much memory? Strictly OTA here no cable. thanks!
post #455 of 1456 Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Don't tell me there is another one?? eek.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #456 of 1456 Old 11-17-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2hpw View Post

A 1 hr program takes roughly how much memory? Strictly OTA here no cable. thanks!

That depends entirely on what resolution it is and how much bandwidth your local network devotes to that program. These are rough estimates for one hour of programming:

480i: 2 GB
720p: 4 GB
1080i (partial): 6 GB
1080i (full): 8 GB

You can get an idea of how large a channel's recordings will be by seeing how many sub-channels that network has. The more sub-channels there are, the less bandwidth each one receives.
post #457 of 1456 Old 11-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

Has anyone tried the HW180stb yet and does it record?

http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW180STB-Digital-Converter-Function/dp/B00G5RXM16/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1#productDetails

Don't have it but it is not supposed to record and it only supports a 64GB thumb drive for playback.

Edit: I found the post on mediasonic's forum that I was looking for when they were asked about this a while ago. Here are two of the admin's posts:

Admin_Mediasonic wrote:actually 180STB is an update to the now discontinued 100stb
So NO PVR

basically is similar to 150PVR, BUT no PVR, NO digital audio out.
so upgrading the 100stb to include HDMI and Media player for people to watch their downloaded or self created content
so just a basic ATSC Tuner + media player
post #458 of 1456 Old 11-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2hpw View Post

Looking to buy one of these (HW-150PVR), been reading many of the previous posts, looks it will do what I need. Forgive me if I ask a redundant question: on USB thumb drives, are there ones that work particularly better than others with this unit? I understand that many folks use ext HDD, just curious how the unit works with a thumb drive USB storage. A 1 hr program takes roughly how much memory? Strictly OTA here no cable. thanks!

Very minimum for full bandwidth full HD recording is 18 Mbps write speed. The average USB 2.0 thumb drive cannot handle it. Some very high speed 2.0 drives can. If you have a USB 3.0 thumb drive that you know functions well, try that first as even on a USB 2.0 interface it will have a higher speed than a USB 2.0 drive. I have a 3.0 jumpdrive that I was able to record well on - timeshifting (which is more problematic on thumb drives) was pretty good too but had a few break ups on the highest bandwidth station. You can also use a USB card reader/writer with a Class 4 or above microSD. Aleron already answered your other question.
post #459 of 1456 Old 11-18-2013, 02:14 AM

Thanks guys for the info on the thumb drives. Obvioulsy looks like ext HDD is the way to go. Thanks again!
post #460 of 1456 Old 11-19-2013, 06:39 AM

Liked: 13
I have a SanDisk Cruiser 64 GB that tested 8.7 mbps it works fine formatted to ntfs .
post #461 of 1456 Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Hi, I was wondering if you knew where to download firmware version V12 with QAM compatibility for the hw 150pvr. I have been searching for it all over for a client of mine ( I work tech support ) and have only come up with dead links. Thank you for your help!

post #462 of 1456 Old 11-20-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmware View Post

Hi, I was wondering if you knew where to download firmware version V12 with QAM compatibility for the hw 150pvr. I have been searching for it all over for a client of mine ( I work tech support ) and have only come up with dead links. Thank you for your help!

What is the current firmware on the unit now?
post #463 of 1456 Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM

I have a Pioneer VSX-822 and the HW-150. I have an HDMI cable connecting the 2 devices. The receiver sees there is an HDMI connection but no picture or sound comes through. I can connect the HW-150 directly to an HDMI input on my TV and it works fine.

Is there something I'm missing or are these 2 devices just incompatible?
post #464 of 1456 Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI is often finnicky that way. Does your AVR support the latest HDMI revision, or is it old? That can sometimes have an impact on whether the connection succeeds.
post #465 of 1456 Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry to say I haven't read all 450+ post, just way to much reading.
I would like to know a few thing about the --> HW-150PVR <--.
I have digital cable and would like to record Cable TV.
Do I need a to connect this behind the cable box?
Or am I able to record Digital Cable TV with this as a stand alone box?
I have a 2tb HHD but is powered threw the USB connection, so will this box power the Drive?

post #466 of 1456 Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Nicholas, I wouldn't recommend the HW-150PVR for cable TV.

The HW-150PVR is a digital tuner; you hook it directly to the RF cable (coming from an antenna or your cable TV company). It cannot record the output of a cable box.

Cable signals are modulated differently than antenna signals. Mediasonic has firmware that will let the HW-150PVR tune cable signals, but:
  • Mediasonic doesn't support it; if you use it, you're on your own
  • You will only get unencrypted ("clear") digital cable channels. Some cable companies encrypt all their channels; many encrypt most of them. Also, if your cable company still has analog channels, the HW-150PVR doesn't tune them.
  • Most cable companies don't broadcast PSIP info. Without PSIP, the HW-150PVR won't have a program guide, correct channel numbers, or even the correct time of day, making timed recordings impossible.

Regarding your other question: yes, the HW-150PVR can power a drive through the USB connection. I don't know how much current it provides, though, so if your drive is particularly power-hungry you might have problems.
jjeff likes this.
post #467 of 1456 Old 11-22-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

To clarify one of JHBrandt's points, the fact that you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Alandt View Post

Do I need a to connect this behind the cable box?

makes it clear that the Homeworx won't work for you. You can only use it with cable if you're able to tune channels by connecting the cable directly to your TV. Needing a cable box means that your channels are already encrypted, which makes the Homeworx useless to you.
post #468 of 1456 Old 11-24-2013, 04:03 PM

Just picked up the Hw-150PVR from Newegg. Works fairly well for my needs but there's one annoying thing that I've noticed. There seems to be lip-sync issues when playing back my recordings. Anyone else see this? I've taken my USB drive and plugged it into a WDTV live and no sync issues when playing back.

Thanks
post #469 of 1456 Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried using fast forward/rewind/skip on the recording? Some DVRs have trouble with A/V sync at the start of a recording, and jumping a few seconds forward or back can force them to synchronise again.
post #470 of 1456 Old 11-25-2013, 08:21 AM

I tried forward/reverse/pause but still have the same sync problem. Also, changing the TV input to force it to perform HDMI handshake again didn't work either.

Unfortunately the TV I have it plugged into doesn't have a sync adjustment so I can't fix it there.

Maybe I'll post this question on the Homeworx support forum. Thanks!
post #471 of 1456 Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 AM

i have seen some posts here saying that if the signal from the antenna gets lost for a second then the recording will stop.

I have a situation where the signal from my antenna breaks up just a little bit when my furnace starts up. Strange I know but nothing I can do that I know off until I get a new furnace.

Anyway was just wondering if this will disrupt my recordings or if it will just keep recording ?
post #472 of 1456 Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post

i have seen some posts here saying that if the signal from the antenna gets lost for a second then the recording will stop.

I have a situation where the signal from my antenna breaks up just a little bit when my furnace starts up. Strange I know but nothing I can do that I know off until I get a new furnace.

Anyway was just wondering if this will disrupt my recordings or if it will just keep recording ?
When the signal is lost I get a splash screen saying the signal has been lost do you want to stop the recording press enter for yes exit for no , is what I recall it saying . If I do nothing it keeps recording .But the message stays on screen . It does not show on the recording .
post #473 of 1456 Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM

ok thanks - I guess the best thing to do is give it a try and see what happens

I have been using an HD Homerun and WMC to record TV but I bought a new desktop to use as my HTPC and it has windows 8 so now I cant use WMC anymore without paying for it.

So need to decide if this is my new solution or if there is software out there that would be a better choice so that I can still use the Homerun
post #474 of 1456 Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a situation where the signal from my antenna breaks up just a little bit when my furnace starts up. Strange I know but nothing I can do that I know of until I get a new furnace.

Hmm... any way you could move your antenna farther away from the furnace? Perhaps move it to a higher floor or an attic (assuming your furnace isn't up there wink.gif )? If you could get it 3 times farther away, you'd cut the RFI by about 10 dB. Of course, you'd probably have to run cable from your antenna, but it's still cheaper than a new furnace eek.gif
post #475 of 1456 Old 11-25-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4tq View Post

I tried forward/reverse/pause but still have the same sync problem. Also, changing the TV input to force it to perform HDMI handshake again didn't work either.

Unfortunately the TV I have it plugged into doesn't have a sync adjustment so I can't fix it there.

Maybe I'll post this question on the Homeworx support forum. Thanks!
Is it in sync if you use another connection method? For a test you could try composite video or even RF, although you wouldn't want to leave it that way of course wink.gif

If the problem is specific to HDMI, perhaps changing the HDMI audio setting on the Homeworx would help....
post #476 of 1456 Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM

I played around with the sync issue for a little while last night.

My latest recording didn't seem to have any sync issues but I was playing audio through the TV speakers. When I noticed the sync problem I was playing 5.1 audio through my Sony receiver.

From the HW-150PVR I have HDMI going out to the TV and optical from TV out to the receiver. More testing to come but I need to cut down on some variables like source channel, audio mode etc...
post #477 of 1456 Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog View Post

When the signal is lost I get a splash screen saying the signal has been lost do you want to stop the recording press enter for yes exit for no , is what I recall it saying . If I do nothing it keeps recording .But the message stays on screen . It does not show on the recording .

I believe it was my post that was referenced and I should further clarify my original post.
Wallydog is correct on the behavior of the Homeworx when the signal is momentarily lost or incomplete but on occasion it can freeze the unit for some unknown reason. I suspect it is when the Homeworx tries to reestablish a lock but fails to do so within a certain time period. In the last couple of days we've had some strong area wide winds coupled with dramatic changes in tempertures in NYC that caused havoc with my scheduled recordings. It caused pixelations and audio distortions as expected but on one occasion it froze the unit. All this, of course, is conjecture on my part but it seems plausilble. Since we do not have access to the codes we can only draw qualified conclusions based on user experiences; the more the better.
post #478 of 1456 Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Does anyone have the V10 firmware file?  They seem to have removed it from their forum.

post #479 of 1456 Old 11-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlindstrom View Post

Does anyone have the V10 firmware file?  They seem to have removed it from their forum.

I posted it in #256: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/200_100#post_23711905
post #480 of 1456 Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 PM

Thank you sir.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page