Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1364 Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post

Any suggestions for a replacement?

The only thing I can say for certain is that you shouldn't get an iView. It has identical hardware, so it's almost guaranteed that it wouldn't work, either. It's possible that the iView firmware would solve the problem, but I doubt it's related to the firmware. If you really want to be sure, you could load the iView firmware on your Homeworx, but you'd need the iView remote to be able to use the DVR after that (and you'd also want to load the Homeworx firmware again before returning it).

I'm partial to the TViX 6620, but I don't know if it would work for you, either. Mine is connected directly to the TV via HDMI, so it doesn't suffer from AVR problems.
Aleron Ives is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1364 Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Member
 
zerozed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post

I have successfully connected it to a second 46" Samsung that I have.  No issues.  I tried to connect to the Epson projector directly.  Message keeps popping up on the screen that says 'not supported'.  I saw in another forum that the HW150 sends junk through the ilink channel so I turned that off on the projector.  Same issue.  Nothing.

I guess I'll have to send it back and get something else.  I was excited about having the time shifting on this unit for the price...

Any suggestions for a replacement?

I know this might sound like a really stupid question, but are you testing the HomeWorx tuner with the same HDMI cable on both the projector and the TVs? The only reason I bring this up is I once spent over an hour trying to fix a similar problem only to eventually discover that the HDMI cable I was using had a problem.
zerozed is offline  
post #543 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Thxtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post

I hope someone can offer some suggestions.

I'm putting together a theater in the basement.






I purchased the Homeworx HW-150PVR to connect to my Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2000 projector through a Pioneer VSX-42 receiver.  HDMI from the receiver to the projector is 15' Monoprice CL2 cable.

 
In addition, I have a PS3 and a Roku LT connected to the Epson projector through the Pioneer.  Those 2 devices have no issues making the connection and are performing well.

 
With the 150pvr, the HDMI will not negotiate.  The units seem to be performing the handshake, then the screen shows a 'not supported' message and then a 'no connection' message.  The HDMI connection on the receiver goes off and on about every 10 seconds - again appearing to show a negotiation going on.  I have gone through the 'hdmi' resolution choices with the same results.

 
The 150pvr arrived with software v14 installed on it.

 
I have connected the 150pvr to my Samsung television with no issues.  Picture is good, channels are clear and sound is nice so I know that the hdmi output is good.

 
Is there a fix for this issue?  Looking through Google searches, it appears that others have had problems with Epson projectors, but none as bad as this.  And - I haven't found anyone that posted the fix.

 
Any help you could provide would be appreciated

Test with a 6' HDMI cable and see if you get the same message. If not you may need Dr. HDMI from HDMI Fury to fix the issue.

Thxtheater is offline  
post #544 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 AM
Senior Member
 
jobedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cumming Iowa
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On sale at newegg for 33$ with code EMCWVWX94 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882576003
Joe
jobedo is offline  
post #545 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozed View Post

Why are you doing that with the coax out? I'm all confused. You should just take the HDMI output of the HW150 and run it to the input of the X-Box, then take the HDMI out of your X-Box to your TV.

I'm not sure your setup might be interfering with the X-Box voice controls, but it might be.


The reason I have it like that cause the coax is going to the TVs tuner. The hdmi is going to the Xbox. Instead of using a splitter I just use the ouput of the coax to TV. So if I want to watch TV without turning on Xbox I can do that. Hopefully that clears it up. But I was wondering if this could be the problem thaat is why I posted it to see if anyone has a similar setup.
Many of us are using the Homeworx's RF output to watch one channel (using our TV's tuner) while the Homeworx records another. I can't see any possible way that would interfere with the XBox One.

The only thing I can think of is, perhaps the Homeworx can't "see" the IR signals coming from the XBox. Could you make sure the XBox's IR blaster is pointed directly at the Homeworx's IR sensor?
JHBrandt is offline  
post #546 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozed View Post

Why are you doing that with the coax out? I'm all confused. You should just take the HDMI output of the HW150 and run it to the input of the X-Box, then take the HDMI out of your X-Box to your TV.

I'm not sure your setup might be interfering with the X-Box voice controls, but it might be.


The reason I have it like that cause the coax is going to the TVs tuner. The hdmi is going to the Xbox. Instead of using a splitter I just use the ouput of the coax to TV. So if I want to watch TV without turning on Xbox I can do that. Hopefully that clears it up. But I was wondering if this could be the problem thaat is why I posted it to see if anyone has a similar setup.
Many of us are using the Homeworx's RF output to watch one channel (using our TV's tuner) while the Homeworx records another. I can't see any possible way that would interfere with the XBox One.

The only thing I can think of is, perhaps the Homeworx can't "see" the IR signals coming from the XBox. Could you make sure the XBox's IR blaster is pointed directly at the Homeworx's IR sensor?

I tried that. I don't get why the Xbox remote can't change the channel on the homeworx either using the guide.

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
bori is online now  
post #547 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Do we know of any other converter that works work Xbox one?

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
bori is online now  
post #548 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

The only thing I can think of is, perhaps the Homeworx can't "see" the IR signals coming from the XBox. Could you make sure the XBox's IR blaster is pointed directly at the Homeworx's IR sensor?
I tried that. I don't get why the Xbox remote can't change the channel on the homeworx either using the guide.

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
I'm pretty sure the XBox remote doesn't control the Homeworx directly. It controls the XBox, and the XBox itself then controls the Homeworx through its IR blaster. So if it doesn't work through voice it won't work through the XBox remote either, and vice versa.

Can you use a cell-phone camera to see if the XBox's IR blaster is emitting anything? Perhaps it's defective
JHBrandt is offline  
post #549 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
SoNic67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast View Post

The thing we want to avoid is unnecessary return of a good unit.
Say a user buy an unit goes home and scan for channels looking for QAM and doesn't find any. And he doesn't know his Cable provider is encrypting QAM or is not providing QAM
so he goes and return the unit and then write a bad review.
I didn't buy your unit EXACTLY because you retired the support for QAM.
Is not illegal to record the un-encrypted channels that I have paid subscription. Cox and Verizon FiOS are sending the local channels unencrypted. If they choose to encrypt those channels in the future (as allowed by 2012 FCC ruling) it will be between them and me, nothing to do with your support.
Also, all the existing TV's have QAM enabled - one user can scan the channels with their TV in order to verify if it has unencrypted QAM.
SoNic67 is offline  
post #550 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Member
 
jdmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I bought a HW-150PVR off Amazon (from third-party seller "DependableResource") in late October. Over the six weeks I've owned it, I've developed a sort of love-hate relationship with it.

 

I love that it captures the ATSC signal and saves it as-is without re-encoding it, so I get the full clarity of the original broadcast. (This was a beef I had with the Simple.TV: it saved everything as compressed 720p, and the results never looked as sharp as the original.)

 

However, I hate that I can't count on it to record what I tell it to. Recordings work more often than not, but they fail often enough that it's a serious problem. Also, the "HBPVR" directory in which recordings are saved on the hard disk periodically gets corrupted somehow, where a recording file won't play, but it also can't be deleted. I have to unplug the HD and connect it to my computer to fix the problem.

 

Here's an example that illustrates the recording problem I'm having. Last Thursday, I pre-scheduled a recording of a three-hour overnight program on my local PBS channel from 3:00am to 6:00am Saturday. Later, on Sunday evening, I tuned into NBC Sunday Night Football on the HW-150 and manually started recording by pressing the "Record" button on the remote, then switched the TV back over to another input so my wife could continue watching her Netflix movie while the game was recording. A couple of hours later, after my wife was done with her movie, I sat back down in front of the TV to watch the game and noticed something was wrong: the activity light on the HD that I have plugged into the Homeworx, which blinks when it's recording, was on steady. Uh-oh.

 

Sure enough, I discovered that the unit had inexplicably stopped recording the game at some point. Upon investigating, I discovered that it had stopped at the 1:02:03 mark (one hour, two minutes, three seconds), with a file size of about 6.4 GB. So I missed most of the game. Then I checked the pre-scheduled recording from early Saturday morning, and discovered that it too had stopped early. It began at the correct time, but had stopped at the 1:02:04 mark, also with a file size of 6.4 GB. So I missed most of that program as well.

 

One of these recordings was pre-scheduled, and the other was manually started, but both prematurely stopped recording at exactly the same length. WTF?!

 

I did another test last night. Late last night, I reformatted the HD in NTFS on my computer, then connected it to the HW-150 and pre-scheduled a three-hour recording for 3:00am to 6:00am this morning. I just went and checked, and sure enough, the recording cut off after 1:02:03.

 

But what's weird is that these past few days are the first time I've encountered this particular problem. The unit has successfully made a few pre-scheduled recordings of up to four hours (more NFL games) in the past.

 

This is just the latest example of the many misfires I've suffered with this unit. It's pretty good when it works, but in my experience, it's just not reliable.

 

I have some relatively minor gripes with the unit's user interface, but that's almost irrelevant when the unit can't be relied upon to perform its most essential function.

 

If anyone has suggestions for how to overcome these problems, I'm all ears.

 

FYI, the unit's System Information panel shows:

 

Model: HW-150 PVR

SW Version: CL630133 130807 V13

HW Version: 7816-ATSC-03

 

The unit came with the "new" remote. The external HD that I use with the unit is a WD Passport, formatted in NTFS.

jdmx is offline  
post #551 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

The only thing I can think of is, perhaps the Homeworx can't "see" the IR signals coming from the XBox. Could you make sure the XBox's IR blaster is pointed directly at the Homeworx's IR sensor?
I tried that. I don't get why the Xbox remote can't change the channel on the homeworx either using the guide.

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
I'm pretty sure the XBox remote doesn't control the Homeworx directly. It controls the XBox, and the XBox itself then controls the Homeworx through its IR blaster. So if it doesn't work through voice it won't work through the XBox remote either, and vice versa.

Can you use a cell-phone camera to see if the XBox's IR blaster is emitting anything? Perhaps it's defective


I did do the cell phone camera trick. It is working my Kinect can control my av receiver and my TV with voice command.

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
bori is online now  
post #552 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Member
 
zerozed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post

I bought a HW-150PVR off Amazon (from third-party seller "DependableResource") in late October. Over the six weeks I've owned it, I've developed a sort of love-hate relationship with it.

Just a random thought...could the problem be that when you switch to another AV input the CEC is somehow turning off the record feature?
zerozed is offline  
post #553 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
jdmx: I wonder if there's some kooky bug that cuts off a recording at 6.4 GB? Of course that wouldn't explain why it used to work.

As for fixing it, the only things I can suggest are: 1) reload the FW, and 2) try another HDD. No reason to believe either will work, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

As a workaround, I suppose you could schedule several 1-hour recordings instead of a single 3- or 4-hour recording. Of course you'd lose a few seconds at the end of each one, but that's better than losing everything after 1:02.


bori: OK, we know the XBox's IR blaster is working, since it controls other devices and you can see it flashing with the cell phone camera. And we know the Homeworx accepts IR commands (since its own remote works too). And you said the two are in sight of each other.

The only possibility that leaves is that the wrong remote codes are being used. But you also said you have the new remote and V14 FW (which works with the new remote), and others have confirmed that the XBox uses the Homeworx's new remote codes.

So at this point I'm stumped. Most likely it's an XBox setup issue, but it's really hard to know just where the problem might be. Anyone else have an idea?
JHBrandt is offline  
post #554 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
jprc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

jdmx: I wonder if there's some kooky bug that cuts off a recording at 6.4 GB? Of course that wouldn't explain why it used to work.
....

I would attach the HDD to a computer and do a detailed thorough scan for errors/bad sectors, etc. I know when I was running Homeworx v10 FW, I recorded files much larger than 6.4GB on a regular basis. They can't load v10 on their new box to check if it's a fw version problem. Maybe they can get v14 or v8 though from mediasonic and see if it makes a difference.
jprc is offline  
post #555 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Member
 
jdmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Does anyone know what differences there are between the V13 and V14 firmware versions?

jdmx is offline  
post #556 of 1364 Old 12-10-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post

Does anyone know what differences there are between the V13 and V14 firmware versions?


I have both firmware and I noticed the v14 the boot up logo of homeworx. Didn't notice that on v13.

Regarding my situation I think I am going to try a different Xbox. I have two more sitting at home. To see what happens. If that doesn't work maybe I would try returning for a new homeworx.

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
bori is online now  
post #557 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have a question for the ones that got the voice command working with the HW. Are you able to change channels with the xbox controller too? Or is it the voice that changes channels only?
bori is online now  
post #558 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Member
 
ColoradoSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post


Test with a 6' HDMI cable and see if you get the same message. If not you may need Dr. HDMI from HDMI Fury to fix the issue.


I did that.  No different. 

 

It's going back today.  Researching alternatives.

ColoradoSteve is offline  
post #559 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Member
 
jdmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
 

I purchased the Homeworx HW-150PVR to connect to my Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2000 projector through a Pioneer VSX-42 receiver.  HDMI from the receiver to the projector is 15' Monoprice CL2 cable.

 
In addition, I have a PS3 and a Roku LT connected to the Epson projector through the Pioneer.  Those 2 devices have no issues making the connection and are performing well.
 
With the 150pvr, the HDMI will not negotiate.  The units seem to be performing the handshake, then the screen shows a 'not supported' message and then a 'no connection' message.  The HDMI connection on the receiver goes off and on about every 10 seconds - again appearing to show a negotiation going on.  I have gone through the 'hdmi' resolution choices with the same results.
 
I have connected the 150pvr to my Samsung television with no issues.  Picture is good, channels are clear and sound is nice so I know that the hdmi output is good.

 

What happens if you connect the HW-150 directly to the projector (without going thru the receiver)? If it works, then the problem is with the receiver somehow. If it doesn't work, then your projector may not support 1080i video via HDMI, which is what the HW-150 outputs.

 

I just looked up the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2000 specifications and found this:

 

Quote:

Input Signal:

  • Composite: NTSC / NTSC4.43 / PAL / M-PAL / N-PAL / PAL60 / SECAM
  • Component: 480i / 576i / 480p / 576p / 720p / 1080i / 1080p
  • HDMI: TMDS

If HDMI doesn't work, you might try connecting with component video cabling instead.

jdmx is offline  
post #560 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Member
 
jdmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post
 

Does anyone know what differences there are between the V13 and V14 firmware versions?

 

I got an answer to this question directly from Mediasonic tech support:

 

Quote:

V14 is same thing no new fix over V13

only difference is inside the machine with V14 we switched one of the chip to a different brand because the one original used was discontinued

and still same functionality it doesn't make one better then other

 

This raises the question of whether Mediasonic will have to release two different flavors of every future firmware update, to support boxes with the two different chipsets. And people will have to figure out on their own which flavor their box needs. Sounds to me like a recipe for a clusterf_ck.

JHBrandt likes this.
jdmx is offline  
post #561 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Member
 
ColoradoSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post
 

 

What happens if you connect the HW-150 directly to the projector (without going thru the receiver)? If it works, then the problem is with the receiver somehow. If it doesn't work, then your projector may not support 1080i video via HDMI, which is what the HW-150 outputs.

 

I just looked up the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2000 specifications and found this:

 

If HDMI doesn't work, you might try connecting with component video cabling instead.


The projector doesn't support component in.  It requires a component to VGA adapter.  Not going there.

 

The Pioneer vsx-43 I have doesn't convert from component to hdmi.  It only passes the component through.

 

The 150pvr is going back.

 

Steve

ColoradoSteve is offline  
post #562 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MediasonicEast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
There is no need to chase for firmware update ( there is no new update)

if you box came with

V8 is the latest for your unit
V13 is the latest for your unit
V14 is the latest for your unit

all the above have the same fix as V10 (the only major fix we released)

if there any firmware update we will announce it

If you need QAM,
then you email us your current firmware version
and we will email you the proper QAM for your version
rma_east AT mediasonic.ca

thanks
MediasonicEast is offline  
post #563 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MediasonicEast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post

I got an answer to this question directly from Mediasonic tech support:


This raises the question of whether Mediasonic will have to release two different flavors of every future firmware update, to support boxes with the two different chipsets. And people will have to figure out on their own which flavor their box needs. Sounds to me like a recipe for a clusterf_ck.

No need cause V14 works on V13
but there is no need for people with V13 to must have V14
as it makes no difference, your 150PVR will not gain super powers biggrin.gif
MediasonicEast is offline  
post #564 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Member
 
jdmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post

 

What happens if you connect the HW-150 directly to the projector (without going thru the receiver)?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post

 

The 150pvr is going back.

 

Steve, I realize that connecting the HW-150 directly to the projector via HDMI is not a long-term option for you, but it would be useful for troubleshooting. Did you try it?

jdmx is offline  
post #565 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Newbie
 
steveurban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm a long time member, rare poster who's read all these posts and the posts of the much longer iview thread, and will buy either this or the iview version very soon. my question: for someone just looking to record one ota hdtv show at a time (to be viewed later with no time shifting or record-and-watch at the same time) using one of these with an attached usb hard drive (either 2.5" powered by the device or a self powered 3.5" unit), is one "better" (less buggy, cooler running, better passtrough, etc etc) than the other? thanks for your time & helpful input.
steveurban is offline  
post #566 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Member
 
ColoradoSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post
 

 

 

Steve, I realize that connecting the HW-150 directly to the projector via HDMI is not a long-term option for you, but it would be useful for troubleshooting. Did you try it?


Yes.  I tried it with a 5' cable I used on the Samsung.  Same issue.  Kept displaying "not supported"

 

It just doesn't look like it's going to work.

ColoradoSteve is offline  
post #567 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
jprc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveurban View Post

i'm a long time member, rare poster who's read all these posts and the posts of the much longer iview thread, and will buy either this or the iview version very soon. my question: for someone just looking to record one ota hdtv show at a time (to be viewed later with no time shifting or record-and-watch at the same time) using one of these with an attached usb hard drive (either 2.5" powered by the device or a self powered 3.5" unit), is one "better" (less buggy, cooler running, better passtrough, etc etc) than the other? thanks for your time & helpful input.

I posted this reply in the iview thread but just replying here as well in case anyone with a Homeworx wants to disagree with me since I don't have a physical Homeworx box and have only run the Homeworx firmware on my iview:

If you want passthrough to work, right now you'd be better off with the Homeworx since several iview FW versions broke that feature. Overall, the Homeworx FW is more stable as well. There is not a big difference between the two boxes however, but as things stand currently, the Homeworx would be slightly better for you.
jprc is offline  
post #568 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast View Post

There is no need to chase for firmware update ( there is no new update)

if you box came with

V8 is the latest for your unit
V13 is the latest for your unit
V14 is the latest for your unit

all the above have the same fix as V10 (the only major fix we released)

if there any firmware update we will announce it

If you need QAM,
then you email us your current firmware version
and we will email you the proper QAM for your version
rma_east AT mediasonic.ca

thanks
OK, let's see if I have this straight:

V3 (buggy) and V10 (bugs fixed) support the original HW-150PVR with the old remote
V8 (no logo) and V13 (with logo) support the original HW-150PVR with the new remote
V14 supports the new HW-150PVR with the new chip and remote

Feature-wise, they're all the same and there are QAM versions of each (except V3). So if you were to load V14 onto an original HW-150PVR, it'll detect the old chip and work OK, but won't act any different than with V13.

So in the event of a future firmware upgrade, I'd think they won't need different versions for different chips (the FW can detect the chip), but they will need different versions for the different remotes (the FW can't detect that), and they'll need QAM versions of each. So four slightly different versions would be needed.

That still leaves open the question of which chip was changed. If it was the tuner, could it be better than the original tuner at dealing with the mix of strong and weak signals I have? (If it was any other chip, it probably wouldn't make any observable difference.)
JHBrandt is offline  
post #569 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Member
 
zerozed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I have a question for the ones that got the voice command working with the HW. Are you able to change channels with the xbox controller too? Or is it the voice that changes channels only?

Yes you can. You can hit either the "view" or "menu" button and it will pull up recent channels, etc. and you can use the D-Pad and "A" button to select.

Also, I just had an opportunity to set up yet another X-Box One and took the opportunity to try my HW-150PVR on it. No problem getting it working at all on the other XB1. I did enter Mediasonic as the manufacturer, but I didn't let it automatically set it up--opting instead to select manual. At the manual menu, I tied in "HW" and hit "enter." That gave me the pull down screen to select my model; the only model listed was the HW-150PVR (just like in the video)--I selected that, and voila! It works.

I did have one issue with it (minor). I was fooling around with the power settings and I told the XB1 to turn on/off my TV, by tuner box, and my A/V stuff. That works awesome, except that for some reason the XB1 didn't receive the video signal from the Mediasonic tuner after turning it back on...I had to pull the HDMI cable and replug it...which fixed it. I'll probably just leave the tuner turned on and see if the next XB1 firmware update fixes it.
zerozed is offline  
post #570 of 1364 Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozed View Post

Yes you can. You can hit either the "view" or "menu" button and it will pull up recent channels, etc. and you can use the D-Pad and "A" button to select.

Also, I just had an opportunity to set up yet another X-Box One and took the opportunity to try my HW-150PVR on it. No problem getting it working at all on the other XB1. I did enter Mediasonic as the manufacturer, but I didn't let it automatically set it up--opting instead to select manual. At the manual menu, I tied in "HW" and hit "enter." That gave me the pull down screen to select my model; the only model listed was the HW-150PVR (just like in the video)--I selected that, and voila! It works.

I did have one issue with it (minor). I was fooling around with the power settings and I told the XB1 to turn on/off my TV, by tuner box, and my A/V stuff. That works awesome, except that for some reason the XB1 didn't receive the video signal from the Mediasonic tuner after turning it back on...I had to pull the HDMI cable and replug it...which fixed it. I'll probably just leave the tuner turned on and see if the next XB1 firmware update fixes it.

What firmware are you using?
bori is online now  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off