6Likes

post #781 of 1473 Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

The signal is going to be weaker than a direct connection unless you are lucky enough to have really great signal on all stations to begin with. That's true for homeworx and iview. I bought a five buck splitter at best buy and get better signal with that than using the loop through.

The only working when off thing is weird though. Curious what firmware your unit came with - that's the easiest way to determine what hardware version you have as well.

I'm wondering if you got one of the units that work when off and then the homeworx is causing too much interference when it's on.

mine came with firmaware V13 - hardware 7816-atsc-03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1473 Old 01-08-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Yeah. The Sony thread that I linked is approaching 30,000 posts. smile.gif

With the current rate it might take a while. This thread has been around since July 2013 and it's short 800.

post #783 of 1473 Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post

ok I set the modulation to loop through but the weird thing is that it only works when the pvr is off and not at all when it is on.

And when it does work, the signal getting through to the tv is a lot weaker than when the cable is hooked directly to the tv because I only get a handful of channels compared to about 20.

Are there any other settings that I need to set ?
Sounds to me like your signals may be so strong that some are overloading the Homeworx. When it's off, the Homeworx strongly attenuates the signal (which is why you don't get all channels); but when it's on, if it's overloading it will produce interference even on the good channels. You may need to slightly attenuate the signal at the Homeworx's RF input to get better results.

Using an RF splitter instead of the loop-through function will achieve similar results. A typical 2-way splitter will attenuate the signal about 4 dB (i.e., a bit more than half) at each output.

At my in-laws' home, a trick I used with some success was to use a "tap" (an unbalanced splitter) instead of the loop-through. The tap had a -1 dB output and a -6 dB output. I hooked the -6 dB output to the Homeworx and the -1 dB output to the TV. (This has the advantage of working even when the Homeworx is off.)
post #784 of 1473 Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

With the current rate it might take a while. This thread has been around since July 2013 and it's short 800. And to make it more fun:

http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW180STB-Digital-Converter-Function/dp/B00G5RXM16/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Who will start that thread?

That box would belong in a different section. It does not record.
post #785 of 1473 Old 01-08-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

That box would belong in a different section. It does not record.

Thanks, updated post.

post #786 of 1473 Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there a way to record/plyback CC?

Thanks.

post #787 of 1473 Old 01-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc0121 View Post

Is there a way to record/plyback CC?
Thanks.

It records the captions but you have to play it back on your computer or other device, using VLC or another compatible program, to view them.
post #788 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
I'm looking at getting one of these or the Viewtv VT-163 which looks like it's the same thing. Will the Sandisk 32gb USB flash drive I just bought last night at Costco be fast enough to record hdtv. The package says it's up to 15MB/s read speed up to 10 write.
post #789 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by png5 View Post

Be aware that IVIEW3500STB "passes RF" or "loop-through" feature is not working on later firmware on my original IV3500,. I am not sure this "Loop-through" is working on newer IVIEW3500STBII.

After some testing, I can say loop thru works fine on my older ivew running v13a firmware.

For my test, I used a Dish DTVPal Plus OTA digital tuner, which has a good signal strength meter. I wanted to use a 19" HDTV, but mine doesn't have a signal meter. I sent the signal thru coax cable from the iview to the digital tuner located in the kitchen, a distance of maybe 25'-30' of cable.

Even with loop thru turned off, my digital tuner in the kitchen got about 80% of the full signal that I got when enabling loop thru, which surprised me. IT DIDN"T MATTER IF THE IVIEW WAS OFF OR ON. With loop thru on, signals were about 90% of what I get when connected directly to the antenna. Again, it made no difference whether the power was off or on, the signals didn't change. Antenna power in the menu had no effect.

Your mileage may vary, but I but mine is the "older" iview-3500STB, that came with the older, small remote, not the newer STBII.

I DID NOT test this with older firmware.
post #790 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

I'm looking at getting one of these or the Viewtv VT-163 which looks like it's the same thing. Will the Sandisk 32gb USB flash drive I just bought last night at Costco be fast enough to record hdtv. The package says it's up to 15MB/s read speed up to 10 write.
For HD recording, you need to have 20-25MB/s write speed, I sometime use SanDisk Ultra 32GB SD to record on IV3500 or HW150, both work perfect. However take 7-9GB per hour of HD
recording. 32GB does not have a lot of hours.
post #791 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

For my test, I used a Dish DTVPal Plus OTA digital tuner, which has a good signal strength meter.
I have a couple of DTVPals myself. Good tuners. Keep in mind the Pals lose the signal lock around 50%, so all readings will be 50-100%.
Quote:

Even with loop thru turned off, my digital tuner in the kitchen got about 80% of the full signal that I got when enabling loop thru, which surprised me. IT DIDN"T MATTER IF THE IVIEW WAS OFF OR ON.
Actually that doesn't surprise me. Most OTA stations are UHF, and the iView's RF modulator is down at VHF-Lo. Stray capacitance in the iView's RF section probably lets enough UHF "leak through" to get a good signal, at least on stronger stations, no matter how the loop-through is set.
Quote:

With loop thru on, signals were about 90% of what I get when connected directly to the antenna. Again, it made no difference whether the power was off or on, the signals didn't change. Antenna power in the menu had no effect.

Your mileage may vary, but I but mine is the "older" iview-3500STB, that came with the older, small remote, not the newer STBII.

I DID NOT test this with older firmware.
Good - so the iView (at least the older one; probably both) loop-through works, whether on or in standby, with iView V13a firmware.

Maybe this feature is firmware-controlled after all. Let us all know how the Homeworx V14 firmware does if/when you get a chance to test it (although we know it disables the L/R audio outputs).
post #792 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Good - so the iView (at least the older one; probably both) loop-through works, whether on or in standby, with iView V13a firmware.

Maybe this feature is firmware-controlled after all. Let us all know how the Homeworx V14 firmware does if/when you get a chance to test it (although we know it disables the L/R audio outputs).

It doesn't work for most people on the iview, including this firmware. He probably has some ideal circumstances for his frequencies and reception. Most people can expect it not to work.
post #793 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:

It doesn't work for most people on the iview, including this firmware. He probably has some ideal circumstances for his frequencies and reception. Most people can expect it not to work.

Not sure how you can make a blanket statement like that, "most people can expect it not to work.?" And you base this on what? A few posts on a message board? Whatevs....Well, I did have the unit in the freezer, frozen in a block of ice, and used special, oxygen free coax submerged in a dry ice and liquid nitrogen cocktail. And I used green magic marker on the edges of the TV screen, in addition to jacking up the voltage to 147v, and increasing the frequency to 120Hz. I REALLY had to get up close for the remote to work. Are these units SUPPOSED to make a buzzing sound? Just kidding. I'd be willing to bet anyone else would have the same experience as I have.

If my circumstances ARE ideal, I am playing the lottery ASAP!
post #794 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Loaded HW v14QAM firmware to iview. Loop thru works fine, although the signal was attentuated by 12-20 "DTVPal" points (edit: attentuated when turned off, was fine when on) which seems to be on a 0-100 numbering system, so I guess 12-20% drop when turned off. Not a huge deal on strong signals, but marginal stations lost signal. They did this at around 50, as you mentioned.

And of course the audio out via RCA/L/R is gone with HWv14. Also lost audio thru ch3 rf to analog TV, which surprised me.

Of course, if I have a "special" unit, everyone else and their "friend" can expect it not to work on their unit.
post #795 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not sure how you can make a blanket statement like that, "most people can expect it not to work.?" And you base this on what? A few posts on a message board? Whatevs....Well, I did have the unit in the freezer, frozen in a block of ice, and used special, oxygen free coax submerged in a dry ice and liquid nitrogen cocktail. And I used green magic marker on the edges of the TV screen, in addition to jacking up the voltage to 147v, and increasing the frequency to 120Hz. I REALLY had to get up close for the remote to work. Are these units SUPPOSED to make a buzzing sound? Just kidding. I'd be willing to bet anyone else would have the same experience as I have.

If my circumstances ARE ideal, I am playing the lottery ASAP!

Now you're just being a jerk for no reason. There are many places this box is being discussed, not just here, and that has been the concensus. I also personally know several people who own it and all have this problem but only one has upgraded to the latest version of fw and they had the same experience as me. I saw one person just responded on the iview thread and they had the same experience as you. Others have previously responded that they had the same experience as me. As for your ridiculous storytelling - I said nor suggested anything of the sort of which you described. I said frequencies and reception, which are very reasonable and sensible assumptions. And I made no personal attack on you whatsoever but you responded like a total jerk. You've shown what kind of person you are so no use bothering with you anymore.
post #796 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

And of course the audio out via RCA/L/R is gone with HWv14. Also lost audio thru ch3 rf to analog TV, which surprised me.
Most likely, the RF modulator is fed from the composite video and a 50/50 mix of the L/R audio channels; so if you lose L/R audio outputs, you'll also lose audio on the RF modulator.

It's really hard to translate DTVPal points (or most STB points) to anything meaningful. Every tuner seems to have its own unique "point" system. But at least they all tell you whether a signal has gotten stronger or weaker. So a 12-20 point drop when turned off means the HW V14 QAM firmware was turning the loop-through off (the remaining signal was likely the UHF "leakage" I mentioned before).

This is starting to get complicated. Here's my guess: All versions of the HW firmware turn loop-through off when the box itself is turned off. But due to UHF "leakage," some folks are able to use the HW's RF output anyway, so it looks as if the loop-through stays on.

The only way to tell for sure is to use a signal-strength meter like the one your DTVPal provides. If the signal strength drops, the loop-through is off; if it goes up, the loop-through is on; regardless of the specific numbers. (And if it goes up on some channels and down on others, you likely have some too-strong signals that are overloading one box or the other.)
post #797 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Now you're just being a jerk for no reason.

Sorry. I SAID just kidding...Must be the Irish in me.
post #798 of 1473 Old 01-09-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I don't foresee any major EPG enhancements (unless you count the XBox OneGuide, which involves adding another whole expensive box). The HW doesn't have any way to connect to the Internet, so it has to rely on PSIP for its guide info.

Through software improvement, they could add facility to use a USB Ethernet or wireless network adapter.  It was said somewhere that using a USB hub on the USB port for USB expansion, a user could add more hard disk drives for the unit to use.

If further networking ability is provided through new features, internet time could be used as a reference and used to sanity check broadcast station date / time information.

An ability to use HDD loaded software to extend functionality is also possible if RAM can be used to load such software extensions--like a network driver for "any" USB networking adapter.  Development of all this stuff, however, would take funding, budgeting, etc.  Any downloadable driver software would require internet bandwidth and some internet server resources with any accompanying ongoing costs.

post #799 of 1473 Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM

I've had the HW 150 PVR for a few weeks now and it seems to work well except for the quality of recorded programs. My firmware is V14. I'm recording to USB flash. Live broadcast looks good but recordings seem like a weak signal, choppy with fast audio. They are impossible to watch. Any ideas?

post #800 of 1473 Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Flash drives are often not fast enough for HD recording/playback. An external hard drive is recommended for better results.
post #801 of 1473 Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaskan View Post

I've had the HW 150 PVR for a few weeks now and it seems to work well except for the quality of recorded programs. My firmware is V14. I'm recording to USB flash. Live broadcast looks good but recordings seem like a weak signal, choppy with fast audio. They are impossible to watch. Any ideas?

Have you tried recording to a USB HDD? Many flash drives just aren't fast enough to work with a HD DVR, that would explain the choppy video, not sure why the fast audio :confused:

post #802 of 1473 Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM

post #803 of 1473 Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by png5 View Post

For HD recording, you need to have 20-25MB/s write speed, I sometime use SanDisk Ultra 32GB SD to record on IV3500 or HW150, both work perfect. However take 7-9GB per hour of HD
recording. 32GB does not have a lot of hours.

Thanks, I had a feeling it might not be fast enough.
post #804 of 1473 Old 01-10-2014, 04:57 PM

Thanks. I'll try a hard drive.

I did and the HW 150 doesn't see the media. It is a drive from a Toshiba laptop, about 10 years old, with XP on it, in an enclosure.
post #805 of 1473 Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaskan View Post

I got mine today and have been playing with it all day. I'm getting a choppy picture too with a flash drive, even though it looks clear when recording. Is there a better firmware to use than v.14?

EDIT just plugged in a Hard Drive seems to work better. So is there a way to play it in 5.1?

post #806 of 1473 Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

So is there a way to play it in 5.1?

Rename the extension to .ts and play it in the Movie section.
afterlife2 likes this.
post #807 of 1473 Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Does the HW150PVR allow you to set up a series recording?
post #808 of 1473 Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman2001 View Post

Does the HW150PVR allow you to set up a series recording?

Yes but one at a time. Not 2 at the same time.

post #809 of 1473 Old 01-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Rename the extension to .ts and play it in the Movie section.

Thanks! When plugged in my computer I don't see the Movie folder. Is there a way you do it? Not FAT32 right?

On sale at newegg + $10 off w/ promo code EMCPWWP38, ends 1/16 mad.gif

post #810 of 1473 Old 01-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Thanks! When plugged in my computer I don't see the Movie folder. Is there a way you do it? Not FAT32 right?

You don't have to move it anywhere. Just when you plug it back into the HW, it will no longer appear in the PVR menu. You will have to go to the Movie section under Multimedia to find it. I would definetly suggest NTFS so you don't have a bunch of files to deal with. I have not tried renaming a bunch of partitioned files to .ts and see if they will play as one movie or not on the HW but it would simply be easier to have to only deal with one file anyway. You can try it though if you want to keep FAT32.
afterlife2 likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page