post #811 of 1562 Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman2001 View Post

Does the HW150PVR allow you to set up a series recording?

You can only set it up by time. So you can set it to record weekly or daily at the same time, but not by recognizing name of the series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1562 Old 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

You don't have to move it anywhere. Just when you plug it back into the HW, it will no longer appear in the PVR menu. You will have to go to the Movie section under Multimedia to find it. I would definetly suggest NTFS so you don't have a bunch of files to deal with. I have not tried renaming a bunch of partitioned files to .ts and see if they will play as one movie or not on the HW but it would simply be easier to have to only deal with one file anyway. You can try it though if you want to keep FAT32.

I recommend checking the owner's manual because it lists what types of devices need to be formatted which way. For example, I had a thumb drive (formatted to FAT32) that I had previous used (successfully) that failed to record anything when formatted to NTFS. The manual breaks down the formatting requirements.
post #813 of 1562 Old 01-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

You don't have to move it anywhere. Just when you plug it back into the HW, it will no longer appear in the PVR menu. You will have to go to the Movie section under Multimedia to find it. I would definetly suggest NTFS so you don't have a bunch of files to deal with. I have not tried renaming a bunch of partitioned files to .ts and see if they will play as one movie or not on the HW but it would simply be easier to have to only deal with one file anyway. You can try it though if you want to keep FAT32.

That worked great Thank you so much jprc! For those who don't know how to change extension files: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAnaI08M--8

post #814 of 1562 Old 01-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

That worked great Thank you so much jprc! For those who don't know how to change extension files: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAnaI08M--8

Cool. Glad you got it working. And just want to give credit to user DD24 who originally told us about this.
post #815 of 1562 Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 PM

Liked: 10

Hello,

This is my first post here at AVS Forum, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question.

The time shift function of my HomeWorx HW-150PVR is not working, and I don't understand why.

I''m somewhat new to the HW-150PVR, but I've read the manual and a lot of posts online, so I don't understand why not.

I have a 500GB hard drive attached to the unit via USB (formatted to FAT32) and I've set the time shift capacity to 4GB (the maximum)…

But when I'm watching a program and press the "Play" button on the remote to activate Time Shift as described in the manual, nothing happens. No message on screen, nothing. 

**Recording** programs works just fine… but using the "Play" button to use time shift doesn't work at all.
Am I doing something wrong? What's going on?

Thank you for any help you may provide!

post #816 of 1562 Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colgate2004 View Post

Hello,
This is my first post here at AVS Forum, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question.

The time shift function of my HomeWorx HW-150PVR is not working, and I don't understand why.

I''m somewhat new to the HW-150PVR, but I've read the manual and a lot of posts online, so I don't understand why not.
I have a 500GB hard drive attached to the unit via USB (formatted to FAT32) and I've set the time shift capacity to 4GB (the maximum)…

But when I'm watching a program and press the "Play" button on the remote to activate Time Shift as described in the manual, nothing happens. No message on screen, nothing. 

**Recording** programs works just fine… but using the "Play" button to use time shift doesn't work at all.

Press the Pause button.
post #817 of 1562 Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by colgate2004 View Post

Hello,

Quote:

Press the Pause button.

What happened to colgate2004, is easy to happen. I got stuck on the same thing originally. The manual is rather poor here. It says in the Timeshift section, "When watching a program, press the PLAY key on the remote control to activate the function." rolleyes.gif
post #818 of 1562 Old 01-12-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemark View Post

What happened to colgate2004, is easy to happen. I got stuck on the same thing originally. The manual is rather poor here. It says in the Timeshift section, "When watching a program, press the PLAY key on the remote control to activate the function." rolleyes.gif

Thats why i don't read manuals. Cause I would of assumed it was pause. Why would you want to play.
post #819 of 1562 Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Actually, what I would've assumed, if I didn't read either the manual or this thread, is that once enabled, time-shifting starts automatically as soon as you tune to a station, and you don't have to press any buttons at all.

Luckily I know better, but it is kinda weird that the Homeworx operates this way.
post #820 of 1562 Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Some DVRs give you the option to use automatic timeshifting or to only use it when you press pause, the TViX 6620 among them.
post #821 of 1562 Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be a nice option to add to Homeworx firmware (hint, hint, Mediasonic) biggrin.gif
post #822 of 1562 Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Rename the extension to .ts and play it in the Movie section.

Thanks! When plugged in my computer I don't see the Movie folder. Is there a way you do it? Not FAT32 right?

On sale at newegg + $10 off w/ promo code EMCPWWP38, ends 1/16 mad.gif
Thanks; but they're sold out already frown.gif Not likely to get more in by 1/16 but I'll keep checking just in case
post #823 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

HD Nation reviews the HW-150~ http://www.dailymotion.com/HDNation#video=x195cx9

Starts @ 04:58 > 10:23.

Seems to me from my experimentation of feeding the HDMI output to a computer capture card and having the digital audio coax go to my 5.1 audio receiver, the only audio mode that delivered Dolby digital AC3 to the audio receiver was the setting designated "PCM" in the menus--a non-obvious setting.  Other settings changed the recognition done by my receiver as "non-5.1" audio.

The originating channel may have complete control over what audio gets into the broadcast, and therefore, the recording. 3 streams of audio I found in one recording had the 6-channel stream be much more quiet than the stereo other two audio streams.  I had to increase the volume level of my computer playback of the video files to be +30 to +40% higher when the 6-channel audio stream was selected versus the other two stereo streams.

post #824 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Thanks; but they're sold out already frown.gif Not likely to get more in by 1/16 but I'll keep checking just in case

Hurry back on sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882576003
chazdole likes this.

post #825 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks - I guess they did get some more in stock! Was just about to buy an iView but that discount saved me a few bucks.
post #826 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 03:00 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Hurry back on sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882576003

Yes, thanks! Snapped one up. The HW-150 has been more stable for me than my iview-3500. Didn't expect to find one on sale so soon, if ever. Went for the free shipping, hope they don't run over it too many times with a forklift.
post #827 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Welcome guys! Anybody ever tried these for signal boosting? Thinking about getting one instead of the cheap splitter that i have: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Amplifier-Internet-Signal-Booster/dp/B001EKCGT8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389658970&sr=1-2

post #828 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't used it myself. Had to go to another site (Solid Signal) to get its noise figure: 2.7 dB. (Lower is better. I generally insist on a NF under 3 dB, so this should be OK.)

The only thing I'd watch out for is over-amplifying the signal, especially if you already have another amp in the signal path, such as an amplified antenna. There was quite a bit of ignorant advice about this at the Amazon site. Each output is 7 dB (5-fold) stronger than the input. If you're using a unamplified 4-way splitter now, each output is 7 dB weaker, so that'd be a swing of 14 dB (25-fold), and the Homeworx in particular is susceptible to overload. If your Homeworx performs worse with the amplified signal, try an attenuator at the Homeworx's RF input to bring the signal level back down some.
post #829 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Welcome guys! Anybody ever tried these for signal boosting? Thinking about getting one instead of the cheap splitter that i have: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Amplifier-Internet-Signal-Booster/dp/B001EKCGT8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389658970&sr=1-2

I would definitely consider using an amp for an OTA antenna if you are splitting it into more than 2 feeds. Not sure about cable TV signals. I haven't used that particular amp, but I use a 1-in 4-out amp in the attic to boost my homemade rooftop antenna. Helped with a couple of fringe channels (50 miles away, off axis) that would pixellate sometimes. Mine is just a GE unit from Home Depot, around 10dB. S/N specs are probably not good, but it works for my needs.

I have another amp that I don't use, just a 1-in and 1-out unit, but it had adjustable gain, something that might help with these HW-150s if a signal is too hot. Now that I'm thinking about it, the black flashing station was the one with the highest signal when it was hooked up to the DTVPal, with a 93-96 signal. Maybe HW-150 amps up the signal, and hotter stations cause an overload?

Homemade antenna is Single Bay Gray-Hoverman Antenna. Cost about $10 or less in material, easy to build, and pulled in more stations/stronger signals than a Radio Shack (yeah I know) $59 antenna.http://www.diytvantennas.com/sbgh.php Not much to look at, but you will be shocked at the signal. UHF only, so they say. I did not use the rear reflector, as I needed to receive a station that is nearly 180° from the rest of them.
post #830 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 PM

Thanks guys for your help. I'm getting breakups on some channels in my apt. I have this antenna outside my window on the 6th fl. : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TIELEM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and I'm using this cheap amp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ETDSUE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should I get the attenuator or the booster I posted? It will be for the OTA TV and the Homeworx box only. Thanks!

post #831 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM

18dB seems like a lot of gain. What do you get from just the antenna, no amp? Have you visited this site for antenna directional info? https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Other than that, I'll defer to those more knowledgeable.
post #832 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

Yes, thanks! Snapped one up. The HW-150 has been more stable for me than my iview-3500. Didn't expect to find one on sale so soon, if ever. Went for the free shipping, hope they don't run over it too many times with a forklift.

After they got more in stock at NewEgg today, I also bought another this afternoon. I plan on using two HW-150s in series, using the RF out (with "Loop through" Modulation setting) of the first unit sending the antenna signal to the second unit. (So no splitter necessary for this.) That way I can record back-to-back TV programs (even on different channels), without losing any of the second program's recording. (Which can happen with just one unit when it's switching to recording mode for the second program.) With two units, both units can be programmed to record their shows a bit early, and end a bit late, without a problem. So I will basically have a two tuner DVR setup (like I had with the cable company I cut the cord from). Since my TV has multiple Component and HDMI inputs, I won't even have to move cables to watch either recording; I will just need to switch inputs on the TV.

Chazdole, in addition to today I previously bought two of these from NewEgg a month ago, and the free shipping was great. I received them very fast in prefect shape.
post #833 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Meanwhile, back in Newegg.ca... CAD$69.99 + $5.99 shipping. mad.gif
post #834 of 1562 Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Meanwhile, back in Newegg.ca... CAD$69.99 + $5.99 shipping. mad.gif

But it's $30 off. A bit more expensive than the US but $46 with shipping is still not a bad price. With the exchange rate, you're really only paying the shipping cost as difference.
plplplpl likes this.
post #835 of 1562 Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

But it's $30 off. A bit more expensive than the US but $46 with shipping is still not a bad price. With the exchange rate, you're really only paying the shipping cost as difference.

Thanks. Bought one.
post #836 of 1562 Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Chazdole, in addition to today I previously bought two of these from NewEgg a month ago, and the free shipping was great. I received them very fast in prefect shape.

Cool, that's good to hear. I ordered a Shawshank bluray for $6 something and free shipping from WB Shop, a big company, on Dec. 24th. They still haven't shipped.

This will be my 2nd HW-150, and I have an iView-3500. Hadn't thought of stacking 2 for a 2 tuner dvr(s). My tvs are a little older and don't have many inputs, but I could juggle some things around I suppose... Mainly bought for the guest room (or the room I sleep in when I'm in the dog house) or a spare, should one of my other ones crap out. These seem like they are something that floods the marketplace for a brief period of time, then disappears forever. Get 'em while they are hot. But 'em by the sack. (White Caste 'Slider' reference for those not familiar with the term)
post #837 of 1562 Old 01-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Anyone here using the homeworx coax digital audio out? I just got a replacement unit and I still cannot get digital audio via COAX. audio over HDMI is fine. I have tried PCM, RAW, and RAW HDMI with no luck. I have also disconnected the HDMI cable. My Anthem says there is no digital input.

I tested the cable on an Oppo and it works just fine and I tested it on the same input port.

I'm at a loss as to why I can't get audio via digital coax??

post #838 of 1562 Old 01-14-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If one was to have a better OTA Tuner to pull in distant TV stations, is the 180 (non-PVR) better than the 150PVR or do they use the same digital tuner and therefore the scanning results will be the same?

Thanks guys.
post #839 of 1562 Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys for your help. I'm getting breakups on some channels in my apt. I have this antenna outside my window on the 6th fl. : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TIELEM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and I'm using this cheap amp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ETDSUE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should I get the attenuator or the booster I posted? It will be for the OTA TV and the Homeworx box only. Thanks!
At least your antenna is up high. That's a good start; it'll keep your signals from being affected by blowing tree limbs.

I couldn't find a noise figure for the Philips amp. That's usually not good news.

I bet you'd have the best results by removing the Philips amp and passive splitter, and replacing the combo with the CM distribution amp. Signal strength will be slightly lower (so you probably won't need an attenuator) but the noise will probably be a lot lower (the first amp's NF usually completely dominates anything downstream), so the S/N ratio will probably improve. That should help.
post #840 of 1562 Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I plan on using two HW-150s in series, using the RF out (with "Loop through" Modulation setting) of the first unit sending the antenna signal to the second unit. (So no splitter necessary for this.) That way I can record back-to-back TV programs (even on different channels), without losing any of the second program's recording. (Which can happen with just one unit when it's switching to recording mode for the second program.) With two units, both units can be programmed to record their shows a bit early, and end a bit late, without a problem. So I will basically have a two tuner DVR setup (like I had with the cable company I cut the cord from). Since my TV has multiple Component and HDMI inputs, I won't even have to move cables to watch either recording; I will just need to switch inputs on the TV.
Have you thought about how you're going to control them separately, since they both use the same remote? (One solution would be to load iView firmware on one and buy an iView remote.)

Note: In the past I've repeated a suggestion which I read somewhere, but which I recently discovered will not usually work: using polarized filters over the remote's IR LED and each box's IR sensor, and rotating the remote to control one unit or the other. The problem is most polarized filters work only over the visible frequency spectrum ant not at IR (not even near IR) frequencies. There are near-IR polarized filters (for photographers), but they are very expensive.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page