6Likes

post #871 of 1493 Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

v14 boxes have a new chip in them but they wouldn't say which chip. If you are so inclined you could open up your boxes and look for the difference.

Guess I won't do that, at least while the warranties are still in effect. But thanks to your mention of "chip" I searched this thread and found the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmx View Post

I got an answer to this question directly from Mediasonic tech support:

"V14 is same thing no new fix over V13
only difference is inside the machine with V14 we switched one of the chip to a different brand because the one original used was discontinued
and still same functionality"

This raises the question of whether Mediasonic will have to release two different flavors of every future firmware update, to support boxes with the two different chipsets. And people will have to figure out on their own which flavor their box needs. Sounds to me like a recipe for a clusterf_ck.

At which point Mediasonic replied to jdmx in this thread with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast View Post

No need cause V14 works on V13
but there is no need for people with V13 to must have V14
as it makes no difference, your 150PVR will not gain super powers biggrin.gif

Which has me wondering why Mediasonic released V14, if V13 and V14 are really interchangable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1493 Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I believe it is that v14 works on both v13 and v14 boxes but that v13 does not fully work on v14 boxes.
post #873 of 1493 Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I've gone through this before, but it's worth reviewing every so often:

V3 was the firmware my Homeworx originally came with
V10 was the bug-fix version for V3
V8 changed the layout of the Homeworx remote. Several buttons were moved around; the "list" function was combined with "OK," and a "dash" function was added
V13 added back the Homeworx logo dropped in V8 (according to Mediasonic)
V14 was for a hardware change to the box (according to Mediasonic)
V1 was for another hardware change (according to Mediasonic)

Note that the version numbers are not in ascending order. V8 came after V10, and V1 came after V14. (Mediasonic had made all this quite confusing.)

It's not correct that there have been no changes. There have been no fixes or new features since V10, but there have been changes! There'd be no need for new versions if there were no changes!

In addition, we have evidence that there was a hardware change between V10 and V13. The evidence is, applying V13 to my old box (to get the new remote layout) disabled the L/R (analog) audio jacks after cycling power. Chazdole had similar results applying V14 to an iView (presumably the iView has the same hardware as my older Homeworx). We don't yet know whether V8 works with the old (V3/V10) hardware or the new (V13) hardware. I've been looking for a copy of V8 to check this.
seattlemark likes this.
post #874 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have an update. I tested both boxes last night. Both boxes have the v8 firmware on them. My mistake in assuming one had a different version. I tested the coax output on two different units:
  1. Anthem AVM50v pre/pro
  2. Marantz receiver

The Marantz receiver did indeed detect and decode multichannel audio from the Homeworx HW-150PR. I then plugged it into the Anthem. For a brief flicker, 5.1 audio showed up on the Anthem's panel and then nothing and no input detected. As usual, HDMI worked flawlessly.

There are two potential issues here:
  1. The Homeworx is doing something slightly odd with the digital signal
  2. The Anthem has a bug with the signal. However, the Anthem has no problem with other devices.

I wanted to update everyone on those items.

post #875 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

I can confirm that one one of my boxes with v8 box has the Homeworx logo on bootup

post #876 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for the feedback THX are you having breakups on your boxes?

post #877 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

No, other than the digital coax anomaly the boxes work beautifully.

post #878 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 AM

Liked: 16
New HW-150 arrived in the mail today. Fedex hands off to USPS sometimes. So, 3 days, free shipping, $35.99. gotta love it. They must be getting these things awfully cheap.

This one has identical firmware the last one I got had,(12/4) CL630133 130925 V14. Auto scan is missing one channel every time I try. (3 times so far) Tried resetting to factory defaults, no change. I had wanted to leave original firmware on to compare with the V14QAM firmware they sent me. Odd thing is, each time it has been a different channel it misses. And they aren't weak channels.

Will do a manual scan and leave original firmware on for now.
post #879 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Thanks for the feedback THX are you having breakups on your boxes?

Just to clarify, I haven't done any recordings on the box just yet. So I can't confirm anything else.

post #880 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting: two boxes with the same FW (V8), but one shows the HW logo and the other doesn't. Sounds like there may be more than one V8 out there rolleyes.gif

BTW I got my new HW today. Came with V14. First impressions:
  1. The tuner seems a bit more sensitive than the one in my old HW. Still not quite as good as my DTVPals. A 6 dB attenuator helped one channel but made another worse. (Edit: a splitter, which attenuates the signal about 3.5-4 dB, seems to be the best compromise for this box. Both channels are receivable although one breaks up a bit.) The difference between my old HW and this one could be normal variation.
  2. The loop-through does indeed stay on in standby, unlike my old box. (As I expected, loop-through does not work if the Homeworx is powered off via the front panel power switch.)

I'm lucky in that I still have one analog channel on the dial. It's a lot easier to tell if there's any drop-off with analog: you don't have to look at any signal strength meters; if the picture gets snowy, the signal has weakened!
post #881 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got my HW to supplement my DTVpal, so I haven't used it much but last night something weird happened. I have read a number of times that all these boxes do is record what is received. Why then was the picture clear with "live TV" but a badly broken when time shifted/recorded? confused.gif

This happened on a station with weak signal (2%).

I changed to another fairly weak signal (7%) and could time shift/recorded with playback normal. Not a usb hard drive issue, other recordings play fine.

It seems to me that some signal is being lost when time shifting / recording. Thoughts?
post #882 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 05:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

New HW-150 arrived in the mail today. Fedex hands off to USPS sometimes. So, 3 days, free shipping, $35.99. gotta love it. They must be getting these things awfully cheap.

This one has identical firmware the last one I got had,(12/4) CL630133 130925 V14. Auto scan is missing one channel every time I try. (3 times so far) Tried resetting to factory defaults, no change. I had wanted to leave original firmware on to compare with the V14QAM firmware they sent me. Odd thing is, each time it has been a different channel it misses. And they aren't weak channels.

Will do a manual scan and leave original firmware on for now.

If you haven't already, maybe try this experiment:
1) On your "old" HW150:
a) Note what its "Modulation" is set to in the main menu on the old HW150. (Write down if your Modulation is set to "Loop through" (which acts as an internal splitter), or Ch3_ON, or CH4_ON.)
b) Run the autoscan on "old" HW150 and note which channels it picks up.

2) Remove the antenna cable from the "old" HW150, and put that exact same cable instead on the "new" HW150
a) Configure the Modulation on the "new" HW150 so it's identical to what you noted in step 1a. Because if the "new" is set to "Loop through", while "old" was set to Ch3_ON/CH4_ON, that's a possible big difference because of the splitter effect.
b) Run the the autoscan on "new" HW150 and note which channels it successfully finds.

Hopefully you will have the same results in step 1b as you do in step 2b since the antenna related settings have been configured the same and you are using the identical antenna input. If you don't get same results, and "Loop through" was the modulation setting, I'd try either the Ch3_ON or CH_4ON setting and see if that helps.

I also compare to what my TV's tuner picks up with autoscan. But for a fair test I have to always use the same antenna cable as I did on the HW150.
post #883 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post

I got my HW to supplement my DTVpal, so I haven't used it much but last night something weird happened. I have read a number of times that all these boxes do is record what is received. Why then was the picture clear with "live TV" but a badly broken when time shifted/recorded? confused.gif

This happened on a station with weak signal (2%).

I changed to another fairly weak signal (7%) and could time shift/recorded with playback normal. Not a usb hard drive issue, other recordings play fine.

It seems to me that some signal is being lost when time shifting / recording. Thoughts?

It's an interference issue. These boxes are very sensitive to interference and with such a weak signal (I'm surprised you're even getting the channel in at all really) when you add the interference of the hard drive it breaks up the signal. You can try moving the hard drive father away or try a different drive that may have less effect on the signal, and if you happen to have an indoor antenna move that as far away as possible. But with such a weak signal to begin with there may not be anything you can do. Depending on your setup and circumstances an amplifier may or may not help.
afterlife2 likes this.
post #884 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Another possibility, if you were watching live using either your DTVPal or your TV but recording or time-shifting using the Homeworx: the Homeworx tuner is a bit weak, so a signal that looks fine on your DTVPal or TV may be broken up on the Homeworx.

If that's not what you were doing, then clearly the tuners aren't the issue. But it's still something to be aware of since you have weak stations.
post #885 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:

It's an interference issue. These boxes are very sensitive to interference and with such a weak signal (I'm surprised you're even getting the channel in at all really) when you add the interference of the hard drive it breaks up the signal. You can try moving the hard drive father away or try a different drive that may have less effect on the signal, and if you happen to have an indoor antenna move that as far away as possible. But with such a weak signal to begin with there may not be anything you can do. Depending on your setup and circumstances an amplifier may or may not help.

Thanks jprc. I moved my Radio Alarm clock and Hard drive to a lower level. Let's see if it helps. If not I'll order the CM Booster Monday.

post #886 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemark View Post

If you haven't already, maybe try this experiment:
1) On your "old" HW150: snip

Good ideas. Thanks seattlemark. I think the weather could have been another factor, as we had light snow today. I will test it more before flashing to V14QAM.
post #887 of 1493 Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

It's an interference issue. These boxes are very sensitive to interference and with such a weak signal (I'm surprised you're even getting the channel in at all really) when you add the interference of the hard drive it breaks up the signal.You can try moving the hard drive father away or try a different drive that may have less effect on the signal, and if you happen to have an indoor antenna move that as far away as possible. But with such a weak signal to begin with there may not be anything you can do. Depending on your setup and circumstances an amplifier may or may not help.

First, the only reason the signal is so weak is that I have temporarily relocated my outdoor antenna while doing some work on my house. Before this, I had never experienced some of the effects I had read others have - weather, planes, etc. effecting reception. I have been OTA only for years.

Signal strength varies all the time now on some stations. Tonight, I turned on the HW and checked channels until I found one at 2% (different channel then before) - this time, time shift / record worked. The problem channel from before was at 5% and now time shift / record worked.

So, at least for my environment, 2% is pushing the limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Another possibility, if you were watching live using either your DTVPal or your TV but recording or time-shifting using the Homeworx: the Homeworx tuner is a bit weak, so a signal that looks fine on your DTVPal or TV may be broken up on the Homeworx.

If that's not what you were doing, then clearly the tuners aren't the issue. But it's still something to be aware of since you have weak stations.

JH - all remarks are HW only. I only mentioned the DTVpal because since it provides a much better user experience, I only use the HW when I need a third tuner recording. Which isn't that often, so I do not have a lot of user time with the HW. That said, I haven't really noticed a difference in reception between the pal and the HW.

Okay, before posting this I played around some more. The problem station had dropped to 2% again and again the time-shift was bad, not as bad as before but not clean like live. So I moved the drive as far as the cable allowed and now time-shift is clean at 2%. Looks like the drive broadcasts at about the same frequency.

It occurred to me that if farther is better, closer should be worse. So I tried moving the drive around, I had it right next to and even on top of the HW with very little effect. Maybe the 2% tonight is more steady than before. I just can't get it as bad as before. When I originally experienced this, live was clean and recorded was unwatchable - both picture and sound badly broken. The worse I can get tonight is a little pixelation, minor breaks in the image.

Thanks jprc, I probably wouldn't of thought to try moving the drive without your suggestion. If I experience a similar situation, I will see if moving the drive helps.
post #888 of 1493 Old 01-17-2014, 12:45 AM

Liked: 10
Can the homeworx record the signal coming from a cable box? I would like to go Cable box (Comcast) -> Homeworx -> TV. I know it will only have basic functionality (I assume it would only record Ch 3), but that would be fine.

I just want basic time shifting/pausing, and conversion from rca/coax in, to HDMI out.
post #889 of 1493 Old 01-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumun View Post

Can the homeworx record the signal coming from a cable box? I would like to go Cable box (Comcast) -> Homeworx -> TV. I know it will only have basic functionality (I assume it would only record Ch 3), but that would be fine.

I just want basic time shifting/pausing, and conversion from rca/coax in, to HDMI out.

No. Same answers as you got on the iview thread.
post #890 of 1493 Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Anyone here using the homeworx coax digital audio out? I just got a replacement unit and I still cannot get digital audio via COAX. audio over HDMI is fine. I have tried PCM, RAW, and RAW HDMI with no luck. I have also disconnected the HDMI cable. My Anthem says there is no digital input.

I tested the cable on an Oppo and it works just fine and I tested it on the same input port.

I'm at a loss as to why I can't get audio via digital coax??

The source signal or video file--mine have 3 audio streams. 1=5.1 AC3, 2 & 3=English Stereo. See my post above. The originating channel can put any stuff in each stream.

There should be some way to select which stream is used.

PCM for me had the coaxial audio cable produce AC3 5.1 surround sound recognized as such by my audio receiver. See my post above. I have two units, but cannot recall if I tried to test just one or both of them.

post #891 of 1493 Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 11

I just thought of a method of improvement for show scheduling...

On the hard disk drive I noticed some .ini files or whatever that may contain the schedules for recordings.

When the HDD is safely disconnected from the PVR and connected to a PC, the PC could manipulate the .ini files to augment their contents with more shows scheduled to record.

A small gui program or a text file with tab separated fields and a command line program could be used to dump existing .ini or save a more expanded .ini back to the disk so that when the disk is re-plugged back into the Homeworx HW-150PVR these added recordings would nicely operate it.

The user would have to get their show's times from a web site like Zap2it for their local region, then place the information via the PC program.

post #892 of 1493 Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Picked up one of these to use with my Xbox One and it was a great choice! If you are a cable cutter and want to watch OTA TV with the Xbox One guide using the controller or voice, this is the box for you! You can even play and pause with the built-in xbox commands. It's nice to be able to play games and snap TV off to the side as well. Multitasking at its finest!

If you decide to do this, I highly reccommend using an IR extender. You can plug it in the back of the xbox one and run the extender to the IR logo on the 150PVR. Then you don't have to worry about IR signal loss or mis-transmitted channel numbers. I tried using it without the IR extender (even with the Kinect right next to the 160PVR) and it didn't work about 25% of the time. With the IR extender I've had 100% success so far.
post #893 of 1493 Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I just ordered the AT-163 (or VT-163) from Amazon. Its actually now selling for $29.95. You have to add it to your cart and you will get a $30 off promotion automatically ... order 2 and get $60 off.

This is now cheaper than the homeworx and iview ...

I will get it tonight and see how it compares to the iview. Probably identical, but for whatever reason my iview cannot pick up any of my digital clearQAM channels. OTA works fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

Walmart has the ematic at103b for 29.99, they also have a 90 day return policy and offer a $5 two year warranty.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=at103b

http://www.ematic.us/tv-accessories/at103b
Both boxes appear to be iView clones. The V/AT-163 uses the Homeworx remote, but the front panel has the iView display and some extra buttons (menu, OK, and volume/left-right), as well as the channel/up-down buttons and power switch the Homeworx and iView have, so some functions can be performed without the remote.

The Ematic AT103B resembles the iView more closely; I haven't seen its remote.
post #894 of 1493 Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspammer View Post

The source signal or video file--mine have 3 audio streams. 1=5.1 AC3, 2 & 3=English Stereo. See my post above. The originating channel can put any stuff in each stream.

There should be some way to select which stream is used.

PCM for me had the coaxial audio cable produce AC3 5.1 surround sound recognized as such by my audio receiver. See my post above. I have two units, but cannot recall if I tried to test just one or both of them.
im going to query Anthem. They usually fan get technical and under the hood. It may be a flag that is not being done a particular way on the Homeworx box.

post #895 of 1493 Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 AM

I'm wondering if any of you who have updated the Homeworx firmware for QAM support have experienced missing channels when trying to set up a timer recording?

I just received an HW-150PVR from Amazon and updated the firmware with the V14 QAM file provided by the Mediasonic RMA Dept. Everything works as expected, and I am able to view the QAM channels as I had hoped, but when I try to set up a timer recording I’m only seeing a small number of channels in the “Channel No.” list in the “Event Add” screen. In fact, I can be successfully watching a particular channel through the HW-150PVR and the channel that I’m watching will not even show up in the list, so I have no way to set up a timer recording for that channel. Has anyone run into this or have any suggestions for how to get all the channels to be displayed in the “Channel No.” list that have been found during the Auto Search process?

post #896 of 1493 Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am having exactly the same problem.

I posted the following on the mediasonic forum but have not received an answer

"I have set up the box and have about 8 channels available to view or record. When I try and set up a future recording using the timer button and screen only 4 of the 8 channels are available as an option to record.

If I hit the list button all channels are listed and have reception but some channels are deleted as an option in the timer set up screen. I have tried turning the unit off and doing a factory reset and new selection of channels but the same limitation exists.

What am I doing wrong?

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I am using V14

Help"

Does anyone here have an idea what to do? Thanks

Home Theater is GREAT
post #897 of 1493 Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 AM

Richard, I think you need to play with your antenna. I live in NYC and I'm getting 67 channels by putting my antenna on the fire escape on the 6th fl. What antenna are you using?

post #898 of 1493 Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

FYI:

Both boxes appear to be iView clones. The V/AT-163 uses the Homeworx remote, but the front panel has the iView display and some extra buttons (menu, OK, and volume/left-right), as well as the channel/up-down buttons and power switch the Homeworx and iView have, so some functions can be performed without the remote.

The Ematic AT103B resembles the iView more closely; I haven't seen its remote.

Looks to have the same screen as the HW. The remote is different then the HW. Might be the same as iview: http://www.ematic.us/sites/default/files/AT103B%20IM_Eng_size130x185mm.pdf

post #899 of 1493 Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The problem I am having is not the number of channels I am receiving. It is that all the channels I can receive are not available to be recorded
on the "programmed timer recording screen" under "channel" as I scroll and try and select a channel to record.

Home Theater is GREAT
post #900 of 1493 Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 AM

> RE: Richard Cohen<<br />

Maybe reflash firmware, then do a factory reset and rescan channels? (If you are only getting 8 channels, maybe a manual search would be quicker, just make note of the physical channel numbers.

Or, try a different version of firmware, there are a few floating around out there.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page