Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #871 of 2195 Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Disconnect the HDD, connect it to your PC, copy the file, and use one of the many video editing programs available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2195 Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any chance i can get the firmware that allows the QAM support? i've got verizon fios in the DC metro area and when connected to the tv it get several of the local channels thru the qam. but i'd like to run it thru the hw150 since i have that hooked up to the xbox one.

when i run the channel search i'm only gettin nbc and fox so i'd like to get the qam support and pick up the others.

my model: HW 150PVR
SW Ver: CL630133 130925 V14
HW Ver: 7816-atsc-03
post #873 of 2195 Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzbim View Post

any chance i can get the firmware that allows the QAM support? i've got verizon fios in the DC metro area and when connected to the tv it get several of the local channels thru the qam. but i'd like to run it thru the hw150 since i have that hooked up to the xbox one.

when i run the channel search i'm only gettin nbc and fox so i'd like to get the qam support and pick up the others.

my model: HW 150PVR
SW Ver: CL630133 130925 V14
HW Ver: 7816-atsc-03

Go to their website and email them your SN and Firmware version and they will send it to you the same day.

Thought I'd share: I am now using my Blu-ray Sony 590 USB for my hard drive playback. It does not flicker on the sound when a little breakup appears on the HW, so try it on your blu-ray player. I can even push stop and press play and it resumes. cool.gif

post #874 of 2195 Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

The zoom key is cool, if it works. Almost want to spend $29.98 to find out.
Good eye. I hadn't noticed that! That is one function the iView/Homeworx need. I wonder if it works only at SD? (The Pal DVRs have 2 zoom keys: one for the SD outputs and one for the HD outputs.)
Quote:

Wonder why this thing doesn't have coax digital out? Seems like it should be already on the chip/board. I'd love to have detailed specs for these units. Then it would be "Let the hacking begin." Time to revisit page 5.
I did notice that. Mssing component video outputs too. I'm guessing a cost-cutting measure - you really have to slice your margins to the bone to get on the shelves at Wal*Mart, as the $30 price tag shows.
Quote:

I'd imagine the coax digital out could be wired in to these units without too much difficulty. Then again, why not just spend $10 more and get one that already has that?
I tend to agree, although that Zoom key is enticing wink.gif
post #875 of 2195 Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Good eye. I hadn't noticed that! That is one function the iView/Homeworx need. I wonder if it works only at SD? (The Pal DVRs have 2 zoom keys: one for the SD outputs and one for the HD outputs.)
I did notice that. Mssing component video outputs too. I'm guessing a cost-cutting measure - you really have to slice your margins to the bone to get on the shelves at Wal*Mart, as the $30 price tag shows.

I would expect the "zoom" key is the same function as the "aspect" key on the iview remote, which doesn't actually zoom but just changes the aspect ratio.
post #876 of 2195 Old 01-19-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Quote:

I would expect the "zoom" key is the same function as the "aspect" key on the iview remote, which doesn't actually zoom but just changes the aspect ratio.

Correct, with either HD or SD the iViews "aspect" button only letterboxes output or zooms L&R, it doesn't zoom vertically.

post #877 of 2195 Old 01-19-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Go to their website and email them your SN and Firmware version and they will send it to you the same day.

Thought I'd share: I am now using my Blu-ray Sony 590 USB for my hard drive playback. It does not flicker on the sound when a little breakup appears on the HW, so try it on your blu-ray player. I can even push stop and press play and it resumes. cool.gif

i've done that, but it being sunday i was hoping to get cbs for the football games today. no rush, hopefully they're open tomm and will email me the info.
post #878 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 AM

Liked: 13
On the component outputs, can you play OTA content at full resolution? Can you record and playback recording at full resolution? Over the component outputs? I've had issues with HDMI handshaking, and I'd like to stay analog if I could, but not if I have to live with 480i instead of 720p. Can the resolution of the recordings be specified? My projector is only 720p. I don't want to record at 1080 if I can only view at 720p.

I hope this hasn't already been answered. I looked for this info in this thread, and in the manual, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
post #879 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Thanks.

If the OTA content has 5.1 audio, does the coax port support that?
post #880 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Yes both HDMI And digital coax will support the 5.1 signal.
bemoore likes this.

post #881 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Component out plays full HD.
That's great... but now I'm confused. I hope this isn't off topic, but I thought that HDCP prevented component outputs from playing full HD for copywrited content. Under what conditions does HDCP prevent full HD display?
post #882 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoore View Post

Quote:

That's great... but now I'm confused. I hope this isn't off topic, but I thought that HDCP prevented component outputs from playing full HD for copywrited content. Under what conditions does HDCP prevent full HD display?

AFAIK thats only for things like BD (and DVD players that upconvert) not tuners like the iView/Homeworx or HD cable boxes I've seen.

Of course since the Homeworx is mainly meant for OTA and OTA doesn't have HDCP that could explain things too.

post #883 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

HDCP is only for digital video (DVI and HDMI). Analogue video uses different types of protection, but the Homeworx does not support any digital or analogue DRM systems. Nothing OTA is protected, anyway. wink.gif
post #884 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Since jkuhlmann is trying to use QAM, my guess would be that perhaps the channels that don't appear for recording don't send any clock data. If the Homeworx doesn't know what time it is, using timers is impossible.

Quote:

I was about to say, timer recording with QAM is not likely to work in any case due to lack of PSIP to set the clock.

Interesting. I guess I didn't do my homework well enough, since timer recording with QAM was my main purpose in purchasing the Homeworx. Any possible workarounds? The QAM channels I'm trying to record are just the standard HD network and PBS channels.

post #885 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Just got a Homeworx HW-150PVR and noticed that the signal on the "loop through" is much weaker than when I had the cable directly connected to my TV (I guess this is expected since this is essentially a splitter). Signal strength on the Homeworx also seems a bit weaker than when directly connected to the TV. I currently have an antenna in the attic, no pre-amp or amp and a 50 foot run of RG6 to the Homeworx. What should I do to improve the "loop through" signal strength? Should I go with a pre-amp?

Please give you opinion!

Thanks
post #886 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BredStik View Post

Just got a Homeworx HW-150PVR and noticed that the signal on the "loop through" is much weaker than when I had the cable directly connected to my TV (I guess this is expected since this is essentially a splitter).
Is it enough weaker to cause problems? If you're still getting a good picture, you have enough signal. If you're getting dropouts, then, yes it's a problem.
Quote:

Should I go with a pre-amp?
Thanks
Yep. A pre-amp is what you need.
post #887 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Is it enough weaker to cause problems? If you're still getting a good picture, you have enough signal. If you're getting dropouts, then, yes it's a problem.
Yep. A pre-amp is what you need.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the weaker signal causes channel loss and dropouts. I'll go for the pre-amp then!
post #888 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 36
what do people recommend to use to split .mts and .ts files into playable pieces ?

I have some recordings from this pvr and mediaportal that I want to split. I recorded 2 separate programs in one recording and want to split and file away in different folders.
post #889 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On the component outputs, can you play OTA content at full resolution? Can you record and playback recording at full resolution? Over the component outputs? I've had issues with HDMI handshaking, and I'd like to stay analog if I could, but not if I have to live with 480i instead of 720p. Can the resolution of the recordings be specified? My projector is only 720p. I don't want to record at 1080 if I can only view at 720p.

I hope this hasn't already been answered. I looked for this info in this thread, and in the manual, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
The button labelled "HDMI" is somewhat mislabeled: It sets the video resolution for both component and HDMI outputs. You can choose 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
post #890 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

HDCP only protects HDMI and has nothing to do with component. And since the Homeworx only plays unencrypted, unprotected video, there's no legal reason to restrict anything from the component outputs. (if the Homeworx accepted a CableCARD, that would be a different kettle of fish.)
post #891 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuhlmann View Post

Quote:

Since jkuhlmann is trying to use QAM, my guess would be that perhaps the channels that don't appear for recording don't send any clock data. If the Homeworx doesn't know what time it is, using timers is impossible.

Quote:

I was about to say, timer recording with QAM is not likely to work in any case due to lack of PSIP to set the clock.

Interesting. I guess I didn't do my homework well enough, since timer recording with QAM was my main purpose in purchasing the Homeworx. Any possible workarounds? The QAM channels I'm trying to record are just the standard HD network and PBS channels.
If your cable signal has no PSIP at all (which is likely), you'll have to find some other way to set the time. Perhaps:
  1. Plug the HW into a UPS so the power never goes off
  2. Using the front-panel power switch, turn it on exactly at midnight and leave it on (putting it in standby with the remote should be OK; just don't turn the power off with the front panel)
  3. When the clock inevitably drifts, repeat the previous step
Even if that works, it still won't necessarily solve the problem you originally described (some channels not appearing).

All things considered, it's probably better to put up an antenna if possible. You'll get better picture quality anyway, since your cable company won't be compressing the OTA HD signals anymore.
post #892 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got a Homeworx HW-150PVR and noticed that the signal on the "loop through" is much weaker than when I had the cable directly connected to my TV (I guess this is expected since this is essentially a splitter). Signal strength on the Homeworx also seems a bit weaker than when directly connected to the TV. I currently have an antenna in the attic, no pre-amp or amp and a 50 foot run of RG6 to the Homeworx. What should I do to improve the "loop through" signal strength? Should I go with a pre-amp?

Please give you opinion!

Thanks
My experience is that it's not weaker - in fact, it's actually amplified a bit - but it's distorting the signal. Doesn't seem to mess up analog too badly but weaker digital signals can really suffer. The signal meter on your TV will probably go down, but that's probably do more to a lower quality signal than simply a weaker one. (Most signal meters combine strength and quality into a single number).

Ironically, a preamp may make things even worse, unless you replace the loop-through with an actual splitter. Reason is, it'll make the strong signals even stronger, thus increasing the distortion.

So I'd probably try a splitter first; if that weakens some of your signals too much, leave the splitter in but add a preamp; ideally with variable gain. Start out at low gain and increase gradually until all channels are stable.
post #893 of 2195 Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post

what do people recommend to use to split .mts and .ts files into playable pieces ?

I have some recordings from this pvr and mediaportal that I want to split. I recorded 2 separate programs in one recording and want to split and file away in different folders.
I'd probably just use AVIDemux twice. Load the file, delete one half; then save the file under a new name. Then reload, and repeat for the other half.

That said, there are plenty of ways to skin this cat. If you're comfortable with the dreaded command line, ffmpeg can split the file easily.

Aleron Ives probably has more experience with editing video than any of us. Perhaps he can give us some tips.
post #894 of 2195 Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I didn't do my homework well enough, since timer recording with QAM was my main purpose in purchasing the Homeworx. Any possible workarounds? The QAM channels I'm trying to record are just the standard HD network and PBS channels.

About the only thing you can do is to call your cable company and beg them to start sending PSIP. You really shouldn't expect them to listen, though, because they'll probably just use the opportunity to tell you to rent their DVR to solve your problem. After all, they make more money that way. If you're in an area where an antenna will work, you should follow JHBrandt's advice and use one, since you can get the major networks in HD OTA for free.

As for editing, I don't manipulate transport streams any more than necessary. My goal is to achieve the highest quality : size ratio on the things I archive, so transcoding to H.264 is mandatory in my book. I use MKV for my final container, rather than TS. If you just want to split a single TS into several (e.g. to remove commercials), then Avidemux will work. If you're trying to extract individual program streams from the TS, such as from PVR software that lets you record multiple programs from the same station simultaneously, I have no idea if Avidemux is smart enough to do that. I'd be surprised if it is, as it's always been a bit finnicky.
post #895 of 2195 Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the weaker signal causes channel loss and dropouts. I'll go for the pre-amp then!

Any good preamps you all recommend? Right now I'm splitting the signal to 3 places (one of which is the homeworx). There is only one channel that I don't get well without moving the antenna and wondering if a preamp will help.

post #896 of 2195 Old 01-21-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:

About the only thing you can do is to call your cable company and beg them to start sending PSIP. You really shouldn't expect them to listen, though, because they'll probably just use the opportunity to tell you to rent their DVR to solve your problem. After all, they make more money that way. If you're in an area where an antenna will work, you should follow JHBrandt's advice and use one, since you can get the major networks in HD OTA for free.

Thanks for the replies. I actually had a Mohu Leaf antenna when we first got our digital TV a couple years ago and, at the time, I was not able to pick up even the few local OTA network channels very reliably compared to how I was receiving the clear QAM channels over basic cable, so I gave the Mohu antenna to my father in law for his cabin. I see Mohu has an antenna with a built-in amplifier now, so maybe it's time to try again.

post #897 of 2195 Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I'd probably just use AVIDemux twice. Load the file, delete one half; then save the file under a new name. Then reload, and repeat for the other half.

That said, there are plenty of ways to skin this cat. If you're comfortable with the dreaded command line, ffmpeg can split the file easily.

Aleron Ives probably has more experience with editing video than any of us. Perhaps he can give us some tips.

Quote:

As for editing, I don't manipulate transport streams any more than necessary. My goal is to achieve the highest quality : size ratio on the things I archive, so transcoding to H.264 is mandatory in my book. I use MKV for my final container, rather than TS. If you just want to split a single TS into several (e.g. to remove commercials), then Avidemux will work. If you're trying to extract individual program streams from the TS, such as from PVR software that lets you record multiple programs from the same station simultaneously, I have no idea if Avidemux is smart enough to do that. I'd be surprised if it is, as it's always been a bit finnicky.

all I want to do is split my one recording into 2 separate ones as if I had done 2 separate ones in the first place, no transcoding or cutting out anything so it looks like this will do it for me. thanks for the recommendations !

but If I am so inclined to do so will I be able to use this to cut the commercials out while leaving the rest of the file intact ? I used to use windows movie maker to cut out commercials from my WMC recordings but it degraded the video quality a bit and didn't let me keep the 5.1 audio.

and what do you use to transcode to H.264 ?
post #898 of 2195 Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I actually had a Mohu Leaf antenna when we first got our digital TV a couple years ago and, at the time, I was not able to pick up even the few local OTA network channels very reliably compared to how I was receiving the clear QAM channels over basic cable, so I gave the Mohu antenna to my father in law for his cabin. I see Mohu has an antenna with a built-in amplifier now, so maybe it's time to try again.
I wouldn't expect miracles. The amp may help a little, but probably not much.

Sounds like you're too far from the TV towers for a small indoor antenna to work very well. Have you checked out TVFool.com? It has a page where you can enter your address, and it'll tell you how strong you can expect your OTA TV signals to be. That will give you a rough idea of how big an antenna you need.
post #899 of 2195 Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post

but If I am so inclined to do so will I be able to use this to cut the commercials out while leaving the rest of the file intact ? I used to use windows movie maker to cut out commercials from my WMC recordings but it degraded the video quality a bit and didn't let me keep the 5.1 audio.

and what do you use to transcode to H.264 ?
I use AVIdemux to cut out commercials. It won't do it automatically, but it's quite easy to scan through your video file, find the commercials manually, and delete them as you go.

AVIDemux has a function to find black frames, which you can use to help search for commercial breaks; but be aware - it's fooled by network logos.

To transcode to H.264 I use a program called Handbrake. I recommend two changes to the default settings:
  1. On the Video tab, I select "constant frame rate" (otherwise I get A/V sync problems)
  2. On the Filters tab, I select "fast" under "de-interlace." Helps eliminate some mildly annoying interlace artifacts.

If you're going to both edit and transcode your file, I recommend you use AVIDemux to edit it first, then transcode it. AVIDemux seems to have less trouble with .[m]ts files, and the less there is for Handbrake to transcode, the faster it'll go.
2flags likes this.
post #900 of 2195 Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you're trying to extract individual program streams from the TS, such as from PVR software that lets you record multiple programs from the same station simultaneously, I have no idea if Avidemux is smart enough to do that. I'd be surprised if it is, as it's always been a bit finnicky.
I think you're right: AVIDemux isn't smart enough to do that. If I wanted to do that, I'd probably fall back to the dreaded command line and ffmpeg. I think there are some GUI solutions for that problem, but I'd have to research them; it's not an issue for Homeworx recordings, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page