Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #931 of 1683 Old 01-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If your cable is going through an amplifier, the voltage could be supplied by the amplifier. It could even shock you if you touch it, so be careful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1683 Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM

thank you alfahill but there is no amplifier running through my connection. I seriously am confused on how to deal with this. I do not want to keep frying boxes if something is wrong with my setup.

post #933 of 1683 Old 01-27-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Satellite dishes have an amp at the focal point of the dish. The power for that amp is supplied by the satellite receiver. It sounds as if you still have a satellite receiver hooked up somewhere.

The only thing that should be hooked to your coax cable is the ClearStream 4 antenna on one end and the Homeworx on the other. Make sure everything else is disconnected, including splitters and the like, then (carefully) check the voltage at each end. If it's not zero, something is still hooked up somewhere; trace the coax until you find out what it could be.
post #934 of 1683 Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM

Thank you very much JH. I will try this hopefully this weekend and will keep this post updated.

post #935 of 1683 Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info, i used hdmi but still had no sound on V14...and since am using cable v10 isn't very useful...do you have a link for v12?

post #936 of 1683 Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Satellite dishes have an amp at the focal point of the dish. The power for that amp is supplied by the satellite receiver. It sounds as if you still have a satellite receiver hooked up somewhere.

The only thing that should be hooked to your coax cable is the ClearStream 4 antenna on one end and the Homeworx on the other. Make sure everything else is disconnected, including splitters and the like, then (carefully) check the voltage at each end. If it's not zero, something is still hooked up somewhere; trace the coax until you find out what it could be.

I concur with this statement. And that is why Power BYPASS is so important in the SATELLITE business for switches. If you image google SAT switches .... you will see this clearly labelled. If you want to hook up a SAT receiver along with your ClearStream Antenna .... you must get a switch or a splitter (depending on your setup) that has a port that does not pass power. A cheap splitter may still leak power so you best to use a voltage meter to test that line to be sure.
post #937 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Liked: 13
Recording problem.

Last night, I programmed a recording manually. The EPG wouldn't load up. I'm guessing that the station isn't broadcasting an EPG, so I entered it manually. Anyway, this morning, I checked my recording, and it wasn't there. I've done a test recording earlier, and it worked. The only difference is that on that recording, I programmed it using the EPG, and it was on a different channel. The program entry for last night's failed recording was also gone, as if it had worked. I checked to make sure I didn't specify the wrong day. Prior to the recording time, I had the tuner in standby. After the recording time had passed, the tuner was on (green light).

Any ideas?

Also, I noticed on the Schedule screen (that shows programmed recordings), the last column on the right is Status. Nowhere in the manual is that explained. Anybody know what it is?

Thanks.
post #938 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoore View Post

Recording problem.

Last night, I programmed a recording manually. The EPG wouldn't load up. I'm guessing that the station isn't broadcasting an EPG, so I entered it manually. Anyway, this morning, I checked my recording, and it wasn't there. I've done a test recording earlier, and it worked. The only difference is that on that recording, I programmed it using the EPG, and it was on a different channel. The program entry for last night's failed recording was also gone, as if it had worked. I checked to make sure I didn't specify the wrong day. Prior to the recording time, I had the tuner in standby. After the recording time had passed, the tuner was on (green light).

Any ideas?

Also, I noticed on the Schedule screen (that shows programmed recordings), the last column on the right is Status. Nowhere in the manual is that explained. Anybody know what it is?

Thanks.

There are a variety of possibilities. The first thing that comes to mind is that if you were not getting EPG info from the station, you may not have been getting time from the station either. So check the time on that channel. Another possibility is that it's a channel that re-tunes multiple times upon first changing to it. If that's the case you will have to leave it on that channel and leave the convertor box on instead of in standby when you want to record that channel. Another is just one of the random bugs you will experience from time to time when a recording will not record or a schedule will get deleted.
post #939 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

There are a variety of possibilities. The first thing that comes to mind is that if you were not getting EPG info from the station, you may not have been getting time from the station either. So check the time on that channel.
I'm getting accurate time on another channel. Can't the PVR use that time? If not, what's the solution?

Quote:

Another possibility is that it's a channel that re-tunes multiple times upon first changing to it. If that's the case you will have to leave it on that channel and leave the convertor box on instead of in standby when you want to record that channel.
What does this mean? I'm an EE, so I understand RF, tuning, etc. But I don't understand "re-tunes multiple times upon first changing to it". Does this mean that I'm not going to be able to program multiple recordings on multiple channels, and have the programs reliably recorded? I can't leave the tuner tuned to the specific channel to be recorded if I'm going to gone for multiple days, and have recordings set for multiple channels.

Quote:

Another is just one of the random bugs you will experience from time to time when a recording will not record or a schedule will get deleted.
I hope that's not going to be a common thing.
post #940 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Can't the PVR use that time?
Let me clarify. Lets say I tune to ch 19, and I get an accurate time signal. Then I tune to a channel without a time signal, or... I have a recording scheduled for a ch without a time signal. Won't the PVR use the time that was established while tuned to ch 19?
post #941 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm getting accurate time on another channel. Can't the PVR use that time? If not, what's the solution?
What does this mean? I'm an EE, so I understand RF, tuning, etc. But I don't understand "re-tunes multiple times upon first changing to it". Does this mean that I'm not going to be able to program multiple recordings on multiple channels, and have the programs reliably recorded? I can't leave the tuner tuned to the specific channel to be recorded if I'm going to gone for multiple days, and have recordings set for multiple channels.
I hope that's not going to be a common thing.

If you are not getting time on a channel, the best thing to do is leave it on channel that does get accurate time and leave the box on all the time. This is not foolproof, but can work. The homeworx gets the time from each channel it is tuned to as soon as it receives the PSIP info from that station. However recordings are done on a timer basis, not time of day basis, once they are started. So if you can get the recording to start properly based on the time from a working channel, it should record properly even though it is not getting the right time from the recording station.

By "re-tune" I mean that when you first change to the channel, it will tune it in, go black, tune it in, go black and tune it in again. This is related PSIP but we don't know exactly what is happening. But the result is that the recording will not start properly. If you leave it on that channel it will not have to deal with that and will record properly.
post #942 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The Homeworx is particularly bad about re-tuning Ion stations. That may be related to the encrypted "Airbox" channels many Ion affiliates broadcast. The Homeworx is also bad about re-adding subchannels that had been deleted or marked as skipped when it re-tunes a station, although I haven't seen it as much on V14 firmware as was the case on V10, so they may have had some luck addressing that annoyance.
post #943 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM

This sounds like a possible Catch-22. The no-EPG channel is 54.1. The ch with EPG is 19.1. I performed a successful recording on ch 19.1 I know that it is broadcasting time properly. I'm not sure about ch 54.1. So... if 54.1 isn't broadcasting an EPG, and no PSIP, and it does the re-tuning thing... it sounds like a recording won't work if I leave the tuner on ch 19.1 (because of the re-tuning), and it won't work if I leave it on 54.1 (because of no PSIP). Is this right?

BTW, 54.1 is the local Fox affiliate. 19.1 is CBS. That shouldn't make a difference, but neither are ION.
post #944 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This sounds like a possible Catch-22. The no-EPG channel is 54.1. The ch with EPG is 19.1. I performed a successful recording on ch 19.1 I know that it is broadcasting time properly. I'm not sure about ch 54.1. So... if 54.1 isn't broadcasting an EPG, and no PSIP, and it does the re-tuning thing... it sounds like a recording won't work if I leave the tuner on ch 19.1 (because of the re-tuning), and it won't work if I leave it on 54.1 (because of no PSIP). Is this right?

BTW, 54.1 is the local Fox affiliate. 19.1 is CBS. That shouldn't make a difference, but neither are ION.

If you are talking about OTA and not cable, you should contact that station because they are supposed to be sending that information. If cable, they won't care.

What do you see if you hit info when on 54.1?

Do you know that 54.1 does the re-tuning or is this just hypothetical? In your case above, yes you would have a problem.
post #945 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:

If you are talking about OTA and not cable, you should contact that station because they are supposed to be sending that information. If cable, they won't care.
It's OTA.

Quote:

What do you see if you hit info when on 54.1?
I'm not at home. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.

Quote:

Do you know that 54.1 does the re-tuning or is this just hypothetical? In your case above, yes you would have a problem.
Hypothetical. I don't think that 54.1 does the re-tuning, but I also think that it doesn't broadcast the time, either. I'll check that tonight, too.
post #946 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 01:31 PM

Woo, hoo! I own pages 33 AND 34. Yes, it's the little things.
post #947 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Woo, hoo! I own pages 33 AND 34. Yes, it's the little things.

Funny, I actually don't like it when I'm the first poster on a page, not that I'd delete my post but I usually mutter to myself, dang :D

I also get the very infrequent missed program, I only use manual events(don't program from the guide since I normally program many days in advance) and I'm never sure if it's me that somehow messed up or the recorder. It happens so infrequently it's not like I'd want to take a picture of my schedule list or anything but like you my missed event is always gone from the schedule list......

post #948 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

54.1 is the local Fox affiliate.
Do you know the call letters? Full-power stations are supposed to be broadcasting PSIP, including at least 12 hours of EPG; and I'd be very surprised if Fox chose a low-power station for an affiliate.

Sometimes these things go out, and no one notices for a while (few folks have OTA DVRs like the Homeworx that rely on PSIP). Someone may need to call the station and let them know their PSIP is on the fritz.
post #949 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Do you know the call letters?
WZDX
post #950 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Hey everyone, I noticed that there are .ini files placed in several places on the hard drive connected to the Homeworx. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to send me the .ini files from their drives. I know this is a weird request, but I'm curious about something and would like to have more examples to compare mine to.

post #951 of 1683 Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 PM

I tested ch 54.1.... No problem. EPG works fine. Info button works fine. Last night, that wasn't happening. When I got home tonight, my HW-150PVR was misbehaving. It was very slow (15-30 seconds) to respond to any input from the remote. I eventually had to reboot it, and it started working fine. But I don't think that was the problem. The EPG's on other channels last night were working fine. I think the station wasn't sending the PSIP data properly. But now I have no way to verify anything. Oh, well. Chalk it up to "one of those things", and hope it doesn't happen again.
post #952 of 1683 Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 AM

A question on time accuracy. Do all stations tend to be synchronized, time-wise? Do they all reference the same time source? Or am I at risk of variable recording start times depending on which channel I'm tuned to?

This won't often be a problem, as I usually pad the start and end times, but in the case of back-to-back recordings, this could bite me.
post #953 of 1683 Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A question on time accuracy. Do all stations tend to be synchronized, time-wise? Do they all reference the same time source? Or am I at risk of variable recording start times depending on which channel I'm tuned to?

This won't often be a problem, as I usually pad the start and end times, but in the case of back-to-back recordings, this could bite me.

Each station sets their own clock and they can be minutes or hours off in some cases. Only thing you can do (other than try contacting the stations for a fix) is leave it on a known good time source station to start.
post #954 of 1683 Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Dang. Not what I'd hoped for.

Thanks for the replies.
post #955 of 1683 Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Do you know the call letters?
WZDX
Yep, full-power. They should be sending PSIP.
Quote:

I tested ch 54.1.... No problem. EPG works fine. Info button works fine. Last night, that wasn't happening. When I got home tonight, my HW-150PVR was misbehaving. It was very slow (15-30 seconds) to respond to any input from the remote. I eventually had to reboot it, and it started working fine. But I don't think that was the problem. The EPG's on other channels last night were working fine. I think the station wasn't sending the PSIP data properly. But now I have no way to verify anything. Oh, well. Chalk it up to "one of those things", and hope it doesn't happen again.
So apparently they are sending PSIP now. It was probably just a glitch at the station.
post #956 of 1683 Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It really depends on where you live. Here in DFW we have over two dozen stations. Most have reasonably accurate time, but a few - especially low-power ones - are off by anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours!

For back-to-back recordings on the Homeworx, if they're on the same channel you could schedule a single recording to cover both, then split the file later with PC editing software. If they're on different channels you may be out of luck.
post #957 of 1683 Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:

It really depends on where you live. Here in DFW we have over two dozen stations. Most have reasonably accurate time, but a few - especially low-power ones - are off by anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours!
Right now, the only programs we want to record are on the major network stations... no low power stations.
Quote:

For back-to-back recordings on the Homeworx, if they're on the same channel you could schedule a single recording to cover both, then split the file later with PC editing software. If they're on different channels you may be out of luck.
Luckily, right now there are no programs that we want to record that are back-to-back on different channels, so we're good... for now.
post #958 of 1683 Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM

Could you please copy these files from your hard drive and post them somewhere like google drive or something? I would really like to take a look at them. 

I swear I quoted another poster here. Now it's gone. But I mean the ini files from the HDD

post #959 of 1683 Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach0742 View Post

Hey everyone, I noticed that there are .ini files placed in several places on the hard drive connected to the Homeworx. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to send me the .ini files from their drives. I know this is a weird request, but I'm curious about something and would like to have more examples to compare mine to.

I posted a number of days back that I thought that these INI files were part of the scheduled recording process so that they could be updated by PC to augment them, but, alas, no.

I have a set of two hard drives and two Homeworx HW-150PVR.  When I accidentally switch drives, the recordings stayed as programmed internally in the Homeworx boxes, so that I now believe that these .INI files are used to track the playback status of each of the media files played from the given folder so that it can support the resume playback functionality of that pop up mini dialog box for a Stop, then play sequence where the box initiates playback from the beginning and lets you press OK / Enter to resume playback, or Exit to continue playback that was started anew from the start of the media file that is currently playing back.

I indicated that a part of my added features wishlist was some kind of PC and web based scheduling mechanism communicated by file on the recording HDD so that when the HDD USB was plugged back into the Homeworx, it would use the info from the HDD file to schedule to record more shows in future... This would reduce the amount of button presses on the IR remote to schedule multiple shows, sparing some of its battery life.

post #960 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM

So, I have a quick question for you guys. I built my own antenna and hooked it up to my 150 last night. The automatic scan picked up about 14 channels. I noticed it was missing a channel that my tv could get, so I went to manual scan and went to the channel number I wanted. It showed the signal about 3/4 of the bar, so I clicked ok and it started to scan. Nothing came up under channels, then it just saved and went back to the last channel I was tuned to. Is there anything else I need to so to manually add a channel? Like I said, it shoes a decent signal on the frequency.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page