Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #931 of 1493 Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what do people recommend to use to split .mts and .ts files into playable pieces ?

I have some recordings from this pvr and mediaportal that I want to split. I recorded 2 separate programs in one recording and want to split and file away in different folders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1493 Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoore View Post

On the component outputs, can you play OTA content at full resolution? Can you record and playback recording at full resolution? Over the component outputs? I've had issues with HDMI handshaking, and I'd like to stay analog if I could, but not if I have to live with 480i instead of 720p. Can the resolution of the recordings be specified? My projector is only 720p. I don't want to record at 1080 if I can only view at 720p.

I hope this hasn't already been answered. I looked for this info in this thread, and in the manual, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
The button labelled "HDMI" is somewhat mislabeled: It sets the video resolution for both component and HDMI outputs. You can choose 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
post #933 of 1493 Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoore View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

Component out plays full HD.
That's great... but now I'm confused. I hope this isn't off topic, but I thought that HDCP prevented component outputs from playing full HD for copywrited content. Under what conditions does HDCP prevent full HD display?
HDCP only protects HDMI and has nothing to do with component. And since the Homeworx only plays unencrypted, unprotected video, there's no legal reason to restrict anything from the component outputs. (if the Homeworx accepted a CableCARD, that would be a different kettle of fish.)
post #934 of 1493 Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuhlmann View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Since jkuhlmann is trying to use QAM, my guess would be that perhaps the channels that don't appear for recording don't send any clock data. If the Homeworx doesn't know what time it is, using timers is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I was about to say, timer recording with QAM is not likely to work in any case due to lack of PSIP to set the clock.

Interesting. I guess I didn't do my homework well enough, since timer recording with QAM was my main purpose in purchasing the Homeworx. Any possible workarounds? The QAM channels I'm trying to record are just the standard HD network and PBS channels.
If your cable signal has no PSIP at all (which is likely), you'll have to find some other way to set the time. Perhaps:
  1. Plug the HW into a UPS so the power never goes off
  2. Using the front-panel power switch, turn it on exactly at midnight and leave it on (putting it in standby with the remote should be OK; just don't turn the power off with the front panel)
  3. When the clock inevitably drifts, repeat the previous step
Even if that works, it still won't necessarily solve the problem you originally described (some channels not appearing).

All things considered, it's probably better to put up an antenna if possible. You'll get better picture quality anyway, since your cable company won't be compressing the OTA HD signals anymore.
post #935 of 1493 Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BredStik View Post

Just got a Homeworx HW-150PVR and noticed that the signal on the "loop through" is much weaker than when I had the cable directly connected to my TV (I guess this is expected since this is essentially a splitter). Signal strength on the Homeworx also seems a bit weaker than when directly connected to the TV. I currently have an antenna in the attic, no pre-amp or amp and a 50 foot run of RG6 to the Homeworx. What should I do to improve the "loop through" signal strength? Should I go with a pre-amp?

Please give you opinion!

Thanks
My experience is that it's not weaker - in fact, it's actually amplified a bit - but it's distorting the signal. Doesn't seem to mess up analog too badly but weaker digital signals can really suffer. The signal meter on your TV will probably go down, but that's probably do more to a lower quality signal than simply a weaker one. (Most signal meters combine strength and quality into a single number).

Ironically, a preamp may make things even worse, unless you replace the loop-through with an actual splitter. Reason is, it'll make the strong signals even stronger, thus increasing the distortion.

So I'd probably try a splitter first; if that weakens some of your signals too much, leave the splitter in but add a preamp; ideally with variable gain. Start out at low gain and increase gradually until all channels are stable.
post #936 of 1493 Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post

what do people recommend to use to split .mts and .ts files into playable pieces ?

I have some recordings from this pvr and mediaportal that I want to split. I recorded 2 separate programs in one recording and want to split and file away in different folders.
I'd probably just use AVIDemux twice. Load the file, delete one half; then save the file under a new name. Then reload, and repeat for the other half.

That said, there are plenty of ways to skin this cat. If you're comfortable with the dreaded command line, ffmpeg can split the file easily.

Aleron Ives probably has more experience with editing video than any of us. Perhaps he can give us some tips.
post #937 of 1493 Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

I guess I didn't do my homework well enough, since timer recording with QAM was my main purpose in purchasing the Homeworx. Any possible workarounds? The QAM channels I'm trying to record are just the standard HD network and PBS channels.

About the only thing you can do is to call your cable company and beg them to start sending PSIP. You really shouldn't expect them to listen, though, because they'll probably just use the opportunity to tell you to rent their DVR to solve your problem. After all, they make more money that way. If you're in an area where an antenna will work, you should follow JHBrandt's advice and use one, since you can get the major networks in HD OTA for free.

As for editing, I don't manipulate transport streams any more than necessary. My goal is to achieve the highest quality : size ratio on the things I archive, so transcoding to H.264 is mandatory in my book. I use MKV for my final container, rather than TS. If you just want to split a single TS into several (e.g. to remove commercials), then Avidemux will work. If you're trying to extract individual program streams from the TS, such as from PVR software that lets you record multiple programs from the same station simultaneously, I have no idea if Avidemux is smart enough to do that. I'd be surprised if it is, as it's always been a bit finnicky.
post #938 of 1493 Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BredStik View Post

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the weaker signal causes channel loss and dropouts. I'll go for the pre-amp then!

Any good preamps you all recommend? Right now I'm splitting the signal to 3 places (one of which is the homeworx). There is only one channel that I don't get well without moving the antenna and wondering if a preamp will help.

post #939 of 1493 Old 01-21-2014, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

About the only thing you can do is to call your cable company and beg them to start sending PSIP. You really shouldn't expect them to listen, though, because they'll probably just use the opportunity to tell you to rent their DVR to solve your problem. After all, they make more money that way. If you're in an area where an antenna will work, you should follow JHBrandt's advice and use one, since you can get the major networks in HD OTA for free.

Thanks for the replies. I actually had a Mohu Leaf antenna when we first got our digital TV a couple years ago and, at the time, I was not able to pick up even the few local OTA network channels very reliably compared to how I was receiving the clear QAM channels over basic cable, so I gave the Mohu antenna to my father in law for his cabin. I see Mohu has an antenna with a built-in amplifier now, so maybe it's time to try again.

post #940 of 1493 Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I'd probably just use AVIDemux twice. Load the file, delete one half; then save the file under a new name. Then reload, and repeat for the other half.

That said, there are plenty of ways to skin this cat. If you're comfortable with the dreaded command line, ffmpeg can split the file easily.

Aleron Ives probably has more experience with editing video than any of us. Perhaps he can give us some tips.

Quote:

As for editing, I don't manipulate transport streams any more than necessary. My goal is to achieve the highest quality : size ratio on the things I archive, so transcoding to H.264 is mandatory in my book. I use MKV for my final container, rather than TS. If you just want to split a single TS into several (e.g. to remove commercials), then Avidemux will work. If you're trying to extract individual program streams from the TS, such as from PVR software that lets you record multiple programs from the same station simultaneously, I have no idea if Avidemux is smart enough to do that. I'd be surprised if it is, as it's always been a bit finnicky.

all I want to do is split my one recording into 2 separate ones as if I had done 2 separate ones in the first place, no transcoding or cutting out anything so it looks like this will do it for me. thanks for the recommendations !

but If I am so inclined to do so will I be able to use this to cut the commercials out while leaving the rest of the file intact ? I used to use windows movie maker to cut out commercials from my WMC recordings but it degraded the video quality a bit and didn't let me keep the 5.1 audio.

and what do you use to transcode to H.264 ?
post #941 of 1493 Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I actually had a Mohu Leaf antenna when we first got our digital TV a couple years ago and, at the time, I was not able to pick up even the few local OTA network channels very reliably compared to how I was receiving the clear QAM channels over basic cable, so I gave the Mohu antenna to my father in law for his cabin. I see Mohu has an antenna with a built-in amplifier now, so maybe it's time to try again.
I wouldn't expect miracles. The amp may help a little, but probably not much.

Sounds like you're too far from the TV towers for a small indoor antenna to work very well. Have you checked out TVFool.com? It has a page where you can enter your address, and it'll tell you how strong you can expect your OTA TV signals to be. That will give you a rough idea of how big an antenna you need.
post #942 of 1493 Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post

but If I am so inclined to do so will I be able to use this to cut the commercials out while leaving the rest of the file intact ? I used to use windows movie maker to cut out commercials from my WMC recordings but it degraded the video quality a bit and didn't let me keep the 5.1 audio.

and what do you use to transcode to H.264 ?
I use AVIdemux to cut out commercials. It won't do it automatically, but it's quite easy to scan through your video file, find the commercials manually, and delete them as you go.

AVIDemux has a function to find black frames, which you can use to help search for commercial breaks; but be aware - it's fooled by network logos.

To transcode to H.264 I use a program called Handbrake. I recommend two changes to the default settings:
  1. On the Video tab, I select "constant frame rate" (otherwise I get A/V sync problems)
  2. On the Filters tab, I select "fast" under "de-interlace." Helps eliminate some mildly annoying interlace artifacts.

If you're going to both edit and transcode your file, I recommend you use AVIDemux to edit it first, then transcode it. AVIDemux seems to have less trouble with .[m]ts files, and the less there is for Handbrake to transcode, the faster it'll go.
2flags likes this.
post #943 of 1493 Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you're trying to extract individual program streams from the TS, such as from PVR software that lets you record multiple programs from the same station simultaneously, I have no idea if Avidemux is smart enough to do that. I'd be surprised if it is, as it's always been a bit finnicky.
I think you're right: AVIDemux isn't smart enough to do that. If I wanted to do that, I'd probably fall back to the dreaded command line and ffmpeg. I think there are some GUI solutions for that problem, but I'd have to research them; it's not an issue for Homeworx recordings, of course.
post #944 of 1493 Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I use AVIdemux to cut out commercials. It won't do it automatically, but it's quite easy to scan through your video file, find the commercials manually, and delete them as you go.

AVIDemux has a function to find black frames, which you can use to help search for commercial breaks; but be aware - it's fooled by network logos.

To transcode to H.264 I use a program called Handbrake. I recommend two changes to the default settings:
  1. On the Video tab, I select "constant frame rate" (otherwise I get A/V sync problems)
  2. On the Filters tab, I select "fast" under "de-interlace." Helps eliminate some mildly annoying interlace artifacts.

If you're going to both edit and transcode your file, I recommend you use AVIDemux to edit it first, then transcode it. AVIDemux seems to have less trouble with .[m]ts files, and the less there is for Handbrake to transcode, the faster it'll go.

Thank you very much JHBrandt, you have been very helpful to me (and im sure to others) in this thread and I really appreciate it !
post #945 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I use HDTVtoMPEG2 to cut out commercials from the mpeg2 .ts files recorded with my computer's tuner card. (Hauppauge) Works great, fast, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't like the files created by the HW-150.

I found that if I process these thru Avidemux 1st, using Video Output/Copy, Audio Output/Copy, Output Format/MPEG TS Muxer (ff), HDTVtoMPEG2 will accept and edit the file. I like HDTVtoMPEG2 as it allows many separate cuts, is fast to navigate, and allows you to join multiple files if need be.

Unless I missed something, Avidemux can only cut out 1 section, no? I hope I'm wrong, I would prefer a one process solution.
post #946 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Weird so I recorded a program yesterday(which came out great), then when I went to turn it on it said NO SIGNAL. I changed to all the channels and same thing. Everything was connected fine. I turned it on and off a couple of times and same thing no signal, even though my TV all channels were ok. So I said maybe it's the weather, so I'll check it in the morning still NO Signal. I rescanned the channels and nothing came up.eek.gif So I unplugged it for 10 seconds and rescanned again and it worked. Wonder why this happened?

post #947 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Weird so I recorded a program yesterday(which came out great), then when I went to turn it on it said NO SIGNAL. I changed to all the channels and same thing. Everything was connected fine. I turned it on and off a couple of times and same thing no signal, even though my TV all channels were ok. So I said maybe it's the weather, so I'll check it in the morning still NO Signal. I rescanned the channels and nothing came up.eek.gif So I unplugged it for 10 seconds and rescanned again and it worked. Wonder why this happened?

It's a bug. Happens much more frequently on iview firmware but you're not the first to experience it on homeworx. Some people leave their boxes on all the time since it is much more likely to occur after turning it off. Some firmware versions are more prone to it than others.
post #948 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless I missed something, Avidemux can only cut out 1 section, no? I hope I'm wrong, I would prefer a one process solution.
I use the same settings as you and I've been able to cut out multiple commercial sections in a single editing session. Just mark the beginning and end of the commercial and press Delete.

I always move forward through the file; I don't know if you'd run into problems trying to move backward instead.

It's probably best to save after each edit. The .ts muxer saves pretty quickly and Avidemux can sometimes crash unexpectedly. That way if it crashes you can restart with your partially edited file instead of starting over with the original.

BTW, I haven't looked too closely but I think HDTVtoMPEG2 can separate out subchannels, which Avidemux can't do AFAIK. That's not relevant to the Homeworx but if you have PC software that records a station's entire transport stream, that could be useful.
chazdole likes this.
post #949 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

For some reason, I always get worse results with Avidemux than everyone else. I tried cutting a commercial with it, and when I played the video again, the audio was severely OOS after the edit. When I previously tried using Avidemux to isolate and export program segments as individual TS files and then combine them into one TS, Avidemux would cut off the end of the first segment to keep the audio in sync for the second segment. frown.gif It works fine if you want to split your episode into multiple files, but cutting commercials while retaining a single file for the episode seems more difficult.
post #950 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I use the same settings as you and I've been able to cut out multiple commercial sections in a single editing session. Just mark the beginning and end of the commercial and press Delete.

BTW, I haven't looked too closely but I think HDTVtoMPEG2 can separate out subchannels, which Avidemux can't do AFAIK. That's not relevant to the Homeworx but if you have PC software that records a station's entire transport stream, that could be useful.

That's great news. I thought it might be user error. I'll have to play around with it some more. I usually don't bother with cutting out commercials unless I need to fit something on a DVD. Somewhat time-consuming. Most of the stuff I save goes to Blu-ray as data, I don't author menus. Very rarely will I transcode.

Also didn't know about separating subchannels. Not sure if my version has that, 1.11.94. Also not sure if my Hauppauge card records the entire stream. Are we talking about removing things like closed captions and other languages?

Amazing how fast HDTVtoMPEG2 rewrites a file. About a minute for a half hour 1280/720 show.

On edit: Just checked, and I can choose which audio stream to include in the file.

Further edit: Aha! I was going about it backwards, trying to select the scenes to keep, NOT select scenes/commercials to delete. This is perfect, saves as a single .ts file. Wish it didn't need to "index" the file.
post #951 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Muxing speed is only limited by the speed of your HDD and SATA version.
post #952 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 PM

Anyone encounter this problem...
- record to an external Seagate harddrive (3TB drive partitioned into 1 TB & 2TB)
- setup a timer event. Turned off PVR
- recording made, PVR power down, BUT the harddrive stay powered

PVR using SW v14 with HW; 7816-ATSC-03

However using a thumbdrive (32gb USB3) doesn't have this problem.

Thanks.
post #953 of 1493 Old 01-22-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2flags View Post

Anyone encounter this problem...
- record to an external Seagate harddrive (3TB drive partitioned into 1 TB & 2TB)
- setup a timer event. Turned off PVR
- recording made, PVR power down, BUT the harddrive stay powered

PVR using SW v14 with HW; 7816-ATSC-03

However using a thumbdrive (32gb USB3) doesn't have this problem.

Thanks.

I do try Seagate USB 3TB drive on both hw150pvr and IV3500stb. It does not work well. Usually will start recording but will hung or stop somewhere
Both work well with Hitachi 2TB drive. I have the old(June 2013) hw150 FW=CL640133 120801 V12 and old(MAY 2013) IV3500 FW=V6a
1. Hitachi 2TB usb drive
2. Western Digital 1TB usb drive
3. PNY 128GB usb3 Flash
4. Corsair Voyager USB Flash 64GB
5. SanDisk Extreme SD 32GB
6. Corsair SSD 60GB
post #954 of 1493 Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also not sure if my Hauppauge card records the entire stream.
Well, it's not the card; it's the software. Any tuner card should demodulate the entire stream, but it's up to the software to determine what to write to disk.

Most DVR/PVR software (e.g., WMC) will record only one subchannel from the tuner's data stream, but some (MythTV, MediaPortal) will let you record multiple subchannels from a single tuner. Kind of like how the Homeworx will let you watch one subchannel while it records another.

Ideally, the software should write the A/V for each subchannel to a separate file. But just in case you have software that writes all subchannels to a single file, it's nice to have a tool to separate them out so you can play the recordings with other software.
post #955 of 1493 Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Press the Pause button.

Hah, thanks JPRC. Honestly if the manual didn't say anything that's probably what I would have guessed… except the manual explicitly said press "play"!

Anyway, thanks again guys.

post #956 of 1493 Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Well, it's not the card; it's the software. Any tuner card should demodulate the entire stream, but it's up to the software to determine what to write to disk.

Most DVR/PVR software (e.g., WMC) will record only one subchannel from the tuner's data stream, but some (MythTV, MediaPortal) will let you record multiple subchannels from a single tuner. Kind of like how the Homeworx will let you watch one subchannel while it records another.

Ideally, the software should write the A/V for each subchannel to a separate file. But just in case you have software that writes all subchannels to a single file, it's nice to have a tool to separate them out so you can play the recordings with other software.

While checking a random recording of a TV show, (I use WinTV to schedule via TitanTV and record with the Hauppauge tuner card) looks like VLC 'codecs' show up as a single video stream, 2 audio streams, and 4 closed captions. I think HDTVtoMPEG2 automatically just uses the video stream and the 1st audio stream by default. Hadn't really checked that out. Could come in handy to cut out useless stuff to reduce file size. I don't think my hardware/software combo captures both channels (10.1 and 10.2, etc.) when recording. Don't recall any options in the menu. Perhaps other software would do this with my hardware. I should record the same show on different hardware to see if the same streams are recorded.

What I am liking about Avidemux is that it puts the edited file into one ts file, HDTVtoMPEG2 puts it into separate files (where cut) unless I choose mpg as the output file. But if I choose mpg, it will not accept this new file for further editing.
post #957 of 1493 Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't tried WinTV but it sounds like you're right. It just writes a single subchannel. I bet almost all PVR/DVR software works that way, even if lets you record multiple subchannels at once; but you never know. It's a big world.

I suppose removing extra audio & subtitle streams would reduce the size a bit. Probably not much though, since you'd usually keep the DD 5.1 track and only remove DD 2.0 tracks which aren't that big to start with.
post #958 of 1493 Old 01-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Specified on their forum, they supported HDD up to 2TB
post #959 of 1493 Old 01-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by png5 View Post

I do try Seagate USB 3TB drive on both hw150pvr and IV3500stb. It does not work well. Usually will start recording but will hung or stop somewhere
Both work well with Hitachi 2TB drive. I have the old(June 2013) hw150 FW=CL640133 120801 V12 and old(MAY 2013) IV3500 FW=V6a
1. Hitachi 2TB usb drive
2. Western Digital 1TB usb drive
3. PNY 128GB usb3 Flash
4. Corsair Voyager USB Flash 64GB
5. SanDisk Extreme SD 32GB
6. Corsair SSD 60GB

Specified on their forum, they supported HDD up to 2TB
post #960 of 1493 Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Liked: 11
Hi All,

Can this box convert the ATSC signal onto the RF out? So to be clear the only connection to the TV would be the RF out to the TV tuner (TV would dial channel 3) and I would be able to use this to watch ATSC OTA. I suspect I'm in for disappointment since it supports analog passthrough and any device I've seen with this can't do what I want. Also there is no channel selector.

The DTV-5000HD can do what I'm asking. But it can't record. And sadly mine died after a year. And it's more expensive.

Also can the Homeworx output to all of it's outputs (Video, component and HDMI) simultaneously?

Thanks
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page