Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #961 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach0742 View Post

So, I have a quick question for you guys. I built my own antenna and hooked it up to my 150 last night. The automatic scan picked up about 14 channels. I noticed it was missing a channel that my tv could get, so I went to manual scan and went to the channel number I wanted. It showed the signal about 3/4 of the bar, so I clicked ok and it started to scan. Nothing came up under channels, then it just saved and went back to the last channel I was tuned to. Is there anything else I need to so to manually add a channel? Like I said, it shoes a decent signal on the frequency.  

When tuning manually you have to tune the Real Channel number which may not be the same as the Virtual Channel which is the one we normally see and use. Check one of your local TV websites to find out the Real number of the channel you need.

Edit; it's the Real number you need to find out.

Thxtheater likes this.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

When tuning manually you have to tune the Real Channel number which may not be the same as the Virtual Channel which is the one we normally see and use. Check one of your local TV websites to find out the Virtual number of the channel you need.

I am using the real channel number. I know it's seeing it too as it shows a strong signal. It just wont save it.

post #963 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 277
The HW-150PVR's signal meter seems to reflect raw signal strength, but not signal quality. Also, its tuner seems more susceptible to overload and adjacent-channel interference than most, so you may have a good strong signal that the tuner just can't decode. If that's the problem, simply attenuating the signal a few dB might be all you need to make it work.

You can do that with a signal splitter. I've also had some luck using a "tap" like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPIQE

Just connect the "tap" output to your HW and the "line" to your coax in and your TV.
post #964 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach0742 View Post

So, I have a quick question for you guys. I built my own antenna and hooked it up to my 150 last night. The automatic scan picked up about 14 channels. I noticed it was missing a channel that my tv could get, so I went to manual scan and went to the channel number I wanted. It showed the signal about 3/4 of the bar, so I clicked ok and it started to scan. Nothing came up under channels, then it just saved and went back to the last channel I was tuned to. Is there anything else I need to so to manually add a channel? Like I said, it shoes a decent signal on the frequency.  

I've had the same thing happen. The "trick" I seem to figure out is power the receiver off (on the unit...not the remote). Then power it back on and retry to manually scan in the channel. It usually works then
post #965 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 AM

Liked: 12

I bought the hw-150 back around the end of Dec. It's been quite a learning experience for me. I too have noticed the receiver  acts buggy.It misses some recordings ,channels in the timer section disappear and a string of numbers appear instead.But I noticed my hard drive tends to fall asleep about 45 min after the recording stops. When I set up recordings I now make sure the time and date are correct,by leaving it on and parked on a reliable data channel.Then I check the timer to make sure the recording date is correct. I tried it this way and still noticed it missed some recordings. So I noticed my hd light was idle ,blinking slow or seems like the hd was sleeping.So I tried pressing Rec and it displayed "no ext hd detected" or something like this anyway. When I pressed Rec the second time it started to record.So now when scheduling recordings I now schedule a hd wake up about 15min before I am due to record,for about a 2min duration.Now when I do this I notice the hd light is now steady ,so the receiver "sees " the hd. Then when the main scheduled recording comes up it records.Just a trick I tried and seems to work.Thanks

JHBrandt likes this.
post #966 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

When tuning manually you have to tune the Real Channel number which may not be the same as the Virtual Channel which is the one we normally see and use. Check one of your local TV websites to find out the Virtual number of the channel you need.
Thanks for that bit of critically important info.

post #967 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can also find the real (RF) channel numbers for your local stations (along with other info such as signal strength, distance, and direction) at TVFool.com.
post #968 of 1683 Old 01-31-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspammer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I don't foresee any major EPG enhancements (unless you count the XBox OneGuide, which involves adding another whole expensive box). The HW doesn't have any way to connect to the Internet, so it has to rely on PSIP for its guide info.
Through software improvement, they could add facility to use a USB Ethernet or wireless network adapter.  It was said somewhere that using a USB hub on the USB port for USB expansion, a user could add more hard disk drives for the unit to use.

If further networking ability is provided through new features, internet time could be used as a reference and used to sanity check broadcast station date / time information.

An ability to use HDD loaded software to extend functionality is also possible if RAM can be used to load such software extensions--like a network driver for "any" USB networking adapter.  Development of all this stuff, however, would take funding, budgeting, etc.  Any downloadable driver software would require internet bandwidth and some internet server resources with any accompanying ongoing costs.
I've been thinking about this. In theory it could work. The Homeworx does indeed support multiple USB devices via a hub. But there are many practical problems.

ePVision recently tried something similar: adding support for Schedules Direct guide subscriptions to their PHD-VRX2 DVR. Nice idea, but S.D. quickly shot it down and ePVision had to pull the firmware enabling the guide off their website. Apparently S.D. is for use with strictly non-commercial software only.

A way around this, I suppose, would be for the firmware not to include guide software, but instead to follow oldspammer's suggestion above: load "plug-in" software from an attached disk. That way, a third party could write an open-source, non-commercial "plug-in" for a Schedules Direct guide, thus honoring S.D.'s terms of service.

That might be feasible with the PHD-VRX2 because it already includes an Ethernet jack, a firmware TCP/IP stack, etc., but the Homeworx doesn't have any of that. Thus, a TCP/IP stack and driver for a USB-attached Ethernet and/or WiFi adapter would have to be either included in the firmware or loaded from disk. That's a lot of extra code, and it seems unlikely there's enough room on the Homeworx's internal RAM and/or flash ROM to load all the software that would be needed for even Internet time, let alone an Internet-based EPG.

In any case, as oldspammer said, it'd be a lot of development. At a bare minimum, the firmware would need a new, documented interface for the plug-ins. I can't see Mediasonic doing all that work for a $45 box.
post #969 of 1683 Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Does anyone know if the walmart clone ematic AT103b use compatible firmware? I would like to save $15 and just get the ematic from walmart for $30. At the ematic site there is basically no support. Someone mentioned that these are identical minus the LED channel screen and the omission of digi coax and component output. The manual and specs are the same.
post #970 of 1683 Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK no one has tried that yet.

That said, chances are there's at least one version of the Homeworx firmware that will work; but most likely, you'd have to buy a Homeworx remote. Same goes for using iView firmware. Unless you already have a Harmony remote, that eliminates most of the savings from the eMatic. And since the Homeworx itself has had several minor internal hardware changes, we don't know which version(s) of the Homeworx might be compatible with eMatic's hardware, and which might brick it.

All things considered, I'm not sure putting Homeworx or iView firmware on an eMatic would be worth it.
post #971 of 1683 Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Hi, I have the v12 firmware on the box that I just received today.  Please let me know what update I should apply.

Thanks,

AG

post #972 of 1683 Old 02-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGoldblatt View Post

Hi, I have the v12 firmware on the box that I just received today.  Please let me know what update I should apply.

Thanks,
AG

There's no need to apply any update. Only reasons to apply an update your box did not come with is if you need QAM or if you get a new remote that is different from the one your box came with.
post #973 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM

Liked: 13
Remote range.

Anybody having problem with the range of the remote? My equipment rack is right behind my seating area, with my projector projecting onto a wall. I can point all of my remotes (except the one for this device) at the wall, and they will work fine. I find that this remote has only about half the range of my other remotes. Anyone else notice this?
post #974 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Others have made similar complaints. Here are a few things to try:
  1. AAA lithium (e.g., Energizer Max, Energizer Ultimate) batteries have a slightly higher voltage and may help by increasing the brightness of the IR LED in the remote.
  2. A universal remote, especially one that uses 3 or 4 batteries instead of 2 and/or has multiple IR LEDs.
  3. If you're handy with a soldering iron you could replace the IR LED itself with a brigher one, as described here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/640_20#post_24112100
  4. A mirror on the wall tongue.gif
post #975 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
5. A remote control extender

I have the same setup as you with a projector, and something like this really helps.

Also, it's conversation piece when visitors come over.tongue.gif
JHBrandt likes this.
post #976 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Others have made similar complaints. Here are a few things to try:
  1. If you're handy with a soldering iron you could replace the IR LED itself with a brigher one, as described here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/640_20#post_24112100
Thanks. I'm a EE. I'll give this a try. If I can't get it to work, I'm not going to tell ANYBODY, especially my employer. This was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. Well, this, or... the manufacturer comes on here stating that I have bad remote, and they'll replace it free of charge. smile.gif Oh, well... off to RS.
post #977 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

5. A remote control extender

I have the same setup as you with a projector, and something like this really helps.

Also, it's conversation piece when visitors come over.tongue.gif

I use one of these. Works fantastically !
post #978 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Just bought a new PVR150. I love the tuner. Just have one small problem, seems to be a bug. Only sometimes, when changing the channel, the channel I end up on will load for about a second, and then the screen goes black for another second, followed by the channel loading again and staying stable. These are all strong signal channels that don't ever cut-out otherwise. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this. Currently at V14, not sure if there's any newer code. Just curious, does HomeWorx have a website of their own? Thanks.

post #979 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopsBlues View Post

Just bought a new PVR150. I love the tuner. Just have one small problem, seems to be a bug. Only sometimes, when changing the channel, the channel I end up on will load for about a second, and then the screen goes black for another second, followed by the channel loading again and staying stable. These are all strong signal channels that don't ever cut-out otherwise. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this. Currently at V14, not sure if there's any newer code. Just curious, does HomeWorx have a website of their own? Thanks.

Yes, it is a common problem.

There is a link in the first post to their forum.
post #980 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 PM

I just purchased the HW-150 PVR and want to try and get it working with a QAM signal. Is this possible with a firmware update?

SW Version: CL630133 130925 V14

HW Version: 7816-ATSC-03

Thanks
post #981 of 1683 Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom Divine View Post

I just purchased the HW-150 PVR and want to try and get it working with a QAM signal. Is this possible with a firmware update?

SW Version: CL630133 130925 V14

HW Version: 7816-ATSC-03

Thanks

Email mediasonic and ask them for QAM fw for your version. You may or may not get all your clear QAM channels once you have the right firmware. You won't know until you try. And if you want to use it for scheduled recording that will be dependent on your cable provider sending time in PSIP.
post #982 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just bought a new PVR150. I love the tuner. Just have one small problem, seems to be a bug. Only sometimes, when changing the channel, the channel I end up on will load for about a second, and then the screen goes black for another second, followed by the channel loading again and staying stable. These are all strong signal channels that don't ever cut-out otherwise. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
I see this a lot, especially on Ion. The Homeworx seems to compare parts of the station's PSIP to info it saved the last time the station was tuned. If there's any change, it re-saves the new info and re-tunes the channel, causing the symptom you describe. An annoying side effect is that it will sometimes (not always) add back subchannels you've deleted and lose favorite and/or skip flags you may have for subchannels on that station.
Quote:

Currently at V14, not sure if there's any newer code.
V14 is the latest firmware for most boxes. There is also a V14 QAM version available on request from Mediasonic.

Mediasonic has mentioned that the newest boxes come with V1 (no idea why they started over at V1 instead of just calling it V15 rolleyes.gif), but those boxes have slightly different hardware so V1 probably wouldn't work on yours. Supposedly there's no functional difference between V14 and V1 anyway.
post #983 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just bought a new PVR150. I love the tuner. Just have one small problem, seems to be a bug. Only sometimes, when changing the channel, the channel I end up on will load for about a second, and then the screen goes black for another second, followed by the channel loading again and staying stable.
Quote:

I see this a lot, especially on Ion. The Homeworx seems to compare parts of the station's PSIP to info it saved the last time the station was tuned. If there's any change, it re-saves the new info and re-tunes the channel, causing the symptom you describe.

Yup I see that on my local Ion affiliate (well its O&O) and on my local ABC (KSTP 5) too. I noticed every now and then it will screw up a timer. I had a timer set last night for WWE Main Event. About a half hour before that I looked at my timers and while it still showed the start and end time the channel name was blank and when I selected the timer it had some weird info for the channel info.
post #984 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

One other thing I've noticed on my HW-150 is sometimes when I record a sporting event it will record part of it then just crap out.

Last Sunday I recorded the college basketball game on CBS (WCCO). I had it set for 2:30:00 yet it recorded only 1:41:55. After that the timer (that shows onscreen when recording) stayed at that but my hard drive continued to whirl. I have a Western Digital 320GB drive that has a bright green circle on the front. Solid green means on. Blinking means its doing "something" (usually recording) and it continued to blink on and off even though it wasn't recording. Its formatted to NFTS (or NTFS whatever its called) wink.gif
My CBS (WCCO) is O&O (so no subchanels) and the file was over 12GB (I think it was up to 12.48 when it died) so I thought maybe the file was too big.

Tried my local Fox (also O&O) and let it record for 2+ hours and it worked fine. But was only 11GB or so (there is a subchannel)

Later that day I just let it record on CBS. It worked fine and I stopped it at 2 hours something and it was 14GB. I know it has done this during college football season where it "just stops" recording for no reason

Anybody else run into this?
post #985 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

Quote:

Just bought a new PVR150. I love the tuner. Just have one small problem, seems to be a bug. Only sometimes, when changing the channel, the channel I end up on will load for about a second, and then the screen goes black for another second, followed by the channel loading again and staying stable.
Quote:

I see this a lot, especially on Ion. The Homeworx seems to compare parts of the station's PSIP to info it saved the last time the station was tuned. If there's any change, it re-saves the new info and re-tunes the channel, causing the symptom you describe.

Yup I see that on my local Ion affiliate (well its O&O) and on my local ABC (KSTP 5) too. I noticed every now and then it will screw up a timer. I had a timer set last night for WWE Main Event. About a half hour before that I looked at my timers and while it still showed the start and end time the channel name was blank and when I selected the timer it had some weird info for the channel info.

I don't really record Ion but I do regularly record Kimmel on KSTP and I've also seen that weird channel number in my timer list. It was for Kimmel and I tried to edit it to the correct channel but it would not let me. I ended up deleting it and making a new timer which worked fine. I do get the occasional missed event but I'm not 100% sure it wasn't me doing something wrong or the DVR but my "guess" is it may be a corrupt timer like the one I just happen to catch.

I use a Toshiba USB HDD that similar to yours has a blue LED when ON and blinks when recording or playing. If I'm around I always try and see what the LED is doing during my event time, I've never caught it not recording but like I said I've had it happen. These boxes are a bit flaky but you can't argue with it for the price and what it does.

I don't believe I've ever had mine stop recording once it started but I have had missed events. I've also recorded events up to 4hrs with no issues so I don't think file size has anything to do with it.

post #986 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I don't really record Ion
other than WWE Main Event I rarely turn on Ion...every now and then on Qubo for the late night cartoons smile.gif
Quote:
but I do regularly record Kimmel on KSTP and I've also seen that weird channel number in my timer list. It was for Kimmel and I tried to edit it to the correct channel but it would not let me. I ended up deleting it and making a new timer which worked fine.

same here. Just deleted it and rest the timer
post #987 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Someone said recently if you want to record a channel that does that, you should tune to the channel, set your timer(s), and leave the HW turned on and tuned to that channel so it won't screw up the timer.

It's a bug Mediasonic really needs to fix. I get tired of having to delete Ion's encrypted "Airbox" channels over and over. I'd also like their shopping channels to stay "skipped" once I set them that way.
post #988 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Still not using my box a lot but I have the "flashy" problem with one channel, ABC. This channel also provides the most guide info - my DTVPal show 4-days of PSIP. To those of you seeing the flash, is it on channels that provide a lot of guide data?

I have also seen the "no station call letters" in my timer list. These never record, so I always delete and recreate.

Generally, the cheap little box is working pretty good for recording. I just wish it was more user friendly, had a better remote and would playback the 5.1 surround that it records. I find myself using it to record but rarely to watch. I will transfer files to my laptop to do the .mts-to-.ts thing, then usually end up watching on the laptop instead of the HmWrx because of the poor remote and lack of "skip" function, playback control - spoiled by the pal.

I don't recall reading it here but another problem I had was renaming recordings. Early in my ownership, I was using the HmWrx menu to rename and gave the same name to several episodes of a series, thinking it would work like the pal and just list them by name and date. I was wrong. I do not know what it did with the files. There was no "same name warning." But when I checked, instead of several files, there was just one! The others were just gone.

I now have a HDHomeRun DUAL that I am using to tryout Windows Media Center as a DVR.

I think it was JHBrandt that previously asked what I thought of the tuner. I can now say, that of the three, for my environment - The pal is best, HmWrx second and the HDHomeRun third.
post #989 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post

Still not using my box a lot but I have the "flashy" problem with one channel, ABC. This channel also provides the most guide info - my DTVPal show 4-days of PSIP. To those of you seeing the flash, is it on channels that provide a lot of guide data?
Good question - I'll have to check that tonight.

I do remember finding that the Homeworx only shows about a day's worth of listings, no matter how many the station broadcasts.

Quote:

Generally, the cheap little box is working pretty good for recording. I just wish it ... would playback the 5.1 surround that it records.... I will transfer files to my laptop to do the .mts-to-.ts thing, then usually end up watching on the laptop instead of the HmWrx because of the poor remote and lack of "skip" function, playback control - spoiled by the pal.
Another annoying bug Mediasonic needs to fix. Sure, you can change the file extension on a PC to play the DD5.1 audio, but why on earth should you need to?

Quote:

I don't recall reading it here but another problem I had was renaming recordings. Early in my ownership, I was using the HmWrx menu to rename and gave the same name to several episodes of a series, thinking it would work like the pal and just list them by name and date. I was wrong. I do not know what it did with the files. There was no "same name warning." But when I checked, instead of several files, there was just one! The others were just gone.
That's a bug I hadn't even heard of yet! Although back in the '80's (when computers were primitive), I had an Atari home computer with a similar bug: if you accidentally renamed two files to the same name, you could only access the first one. And you couldn't fix the mistake by renaming again - the DOS would just rename both files so they still had the same name! Similarly, deleting would delete both files, flagging the file read-only would flag both, etc.

Quote:

I think it was JHBrandt that previously asked what I thought of the tuner. I can now say, that of the three, for my environment - The pal is best, HmWrx second and the HDHomeRun third.
Thanks for that info. I'd been thinking about adding an HDHR Dual to my PC. I may still do it someday but I'll hold off for now.
post #990 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

For the record I've observed this behavior (black screen flicker twice) also on my 150pvr as well as my iview 3500ii box too. So maybe its a problem in the hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page