6Likes

post #991 of 1497 Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

If you are talking about OTA and not cable, you should contact that station because they are supposed to be sending that information. If cable, they won't care.
It's OTA.

Quote:

What do you see if you hit info when on 54.1?
I'm not at home. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.

Quote:

Do you know that 54.1 does the re-tuning or is this just hypothetical? In your case above, yes you would have a problem.
Hypothetical. I don't think that 54.1 does the re-tuning, but I also think that it doesn't broadcast the time, either. I'll check that tonight, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1497 Old 01-28-2014, 01:31 PM

Woo, hoo! I own pages 33 AND 34. Yes, it's the little things.
post #993 of 1497 Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoore View Post

Woo, hoo! I own pages 33 AND 34. Yes, it's the little things.

Funny, I actually don't like it when I'm the first poster on a page, not that I'd delete my post but I usually mutter to myself, dang :D

I also get the very infrequent missed program, I only use manual events(don't program from the guide since I normally program many days in advance) and I'm never sure if it's me that somehow messed up or the recorder. It happens so infrequently it's not like I'd want to take a picture of my schedule list or anything but like you my missed event is always gone from the schedule list......

post #994 of 1497 Old 01-28-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

54.1 is the local Fox affiliate.
Do you know the call letters? Full-power stations are supposed to be broadcasting PSIP, including at least 12 hours of EPG; and I'd be very surprised if Fox chose a low-power station for an affiliate.

Sometimes these things go out, and no one notices for a while (few folks have OTA DVRs like the Homeworx that rely on PSIP). Someone may need to call the station and let them know their PSIP is on the fritz.
post #995 of 1497 Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Do you know the call letters?
WZDX
post #996 of 1497 Old 01-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Liked: 10

Hey everyone, I noticed that there are .ini files placed in several places on the hard drive connected to the Homeworx. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to send me the .ini files from their drives. I know this is a weird request, but I'm curious about something and would like to have more examples to compare mine to.

post #997 of 1497 Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 PM

I tested ch 54.1.... No problem. EPG works fine. Info button works fine. Last night, that wasn't happening. When I got home tonight, my HW-150PVR was misbehaving. It was very slow (15-30 seconds) to respond to any input from the remote. I eventually had to reboot it, and it started working fine. But I don't think that was the problem. The EPG's on other channels last night were working fine. I think the station wasn't sending the PSIP data properly. But now I have no way to verify anything. Oh, well. Chalk it up to "one of those things", and hope it doesn't happen again.
post #998 of 1497 Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 AM

A question on time accuracy. Do all stations tend to be synchronized, time-wise? Do they all reference the same time source? Or am I at risk of variable recording start times depending on which channel I'm tuned to?

This won't often be a problem, as I usually pad the start and end times, but in the case of back-to-back recordings, this could bite me.
post #999 of 1497 Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

A question on time accuracy. Do all stations tend to be synchronized, time-wise? Do they all reference the same time source? Or am I at risk of variable recording start times depending on which channel I'm tuned to?

This won't often be a problem, as I usually pad the start and end times, but in the case of back-to-back recordings, this could bite me.

Each station sets their own clock and they can be minutes or hours off in some cases. Only thing you can do (other than try contacting the stations for a fix) is leave it on a known good time source station to start.
post #1000 of 1497 Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM

Liked: 16
They vary. You will find there is usually one that is correct within a minute most of the time, others can be off by 3-4 min. I saw an off the wall channel, foreign language, that was 2009.

And you can't tell the unit which channel to use. Some people have left the unit tuned to the "good" channel to insure recordings.

I usually pad my shows by 3 minutes. It does create issues for back to back recordings, but I have other units I can use to record.

For critical recordings, I would do a manual record.
post #1001 of 1497 Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Dang. Not what I'd hoped for.

Thanks for the replies.
post #1002 of 1497 Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Yeah, the way they start the new show right after the old one ends doesn't leave any breathing room. PBS is usually OK, they have 'pad time.'

In the 'olden' days you could count on at least some time at the end of a show for credits and a commercial or 2.
post #1003 of 1497 Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Do you know the call letters?
WZDX
Yep, full-power. They should be sending PSIP.
Quote:

I tested ch 54.1.... No problem. EPG works fine. Info button works fine. Last night, that wasn't happening. When I got home tonight, my HW-150PVR was misbehaving. It was very slow (15-30 seconds) to respond to any input from the remote. I eventually had to reboot it, and it started working fine. But I don't think that was the problem. The EPG's on other channels last night were working fine. I think the station wasn't sending the PSIP data properly. But now I have no way to verify anything. Oh, well. Chalk it up to "one of those things", and hope it doesn't happen again.
So apparently they are sending PSIP now. It was probably just a glitch at the station.
post #1004 of 1497 Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It really depends on where you live. Here in DFW we have over two dozen stations. Most have reasonably accurate time, but a few - especially low-power ones - are off by anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours!

For back-to-back recordings on the Homeworx, if they're on the same channel you could schedule a single recording to cover both, then split the file later with PC editing software. If they're on different channels you may be out of luck.
post #1005 of 1497 Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:

It really depends on where you live. Here in DFW we have over two dozen stations. Most have reasonably accurate time, but a few - especially low-power ones - are off by anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours!
Right now, the only programs we want to record are on the major network stations... no low power stations.
Quote:

For back-to-back recordings on the Homeworx, if they're on the same channel you could schedule a single recording to cover both, then split the file later with PC editing software. If they're on different channels you may be out of luck.
Luckily, right now there are no programs that we want to record that are back-to-back on different channels, so we're good... for now.
post #1006 of 1497 Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM

Could you please copy these files from your hard drive and post them somewhere like google drive or something? I would really like to take a look at them. 

I swear I quoted another poster here. Now it's gone. But I mean the ini files from the HDD

post #1007 of 1497 Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach0742 View Post

Hey everyone, I noticed that there are .ini files placed in several places on the hard drive connected to the Homeworx. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to send me the .ini files from their drives. I know this is a weird request, but I'm curious about something and would like to have more examples to compare mine to.

I posted a number of days back that I thought that these INI files were part of the scheduled recording process so that they could be updated by PC to augment them, but, alas, no.

I have a set of two hard drives and two Homeworx HW-150PVR.  When I accidentally switch drives, the recordings stayed as programmed internally in the Homeworx boxes, so that I now believe that these .INI files are used to track the playback status of each of the media files played from the given folder so that it can support the resume playback functionality of that pop up mini dialog box for a Stop, then play sequence where the box initiates playback from the beginning and lets you press OK / Enter to resume playback, or Exit to continue playback that was started anew from the start of the media file that is currently playing back.

I indicated that a part of my added features wishlist was some kind of PC and web based scheduling mechanism communicated by file on the recording HDD so that when the HDD USB was plugged back into the Homeworx, it would use the info from the HDD file to schedule to record more shows in future... This would reduce the amount of button presses on the IR remote to schedule multiple shows, sparing some of its battery life.

post #1008 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 AM

It was a good idea, and would have been handy had it worked. Unplug hard drive, plug it into my computer, batch load a set of programs to record, re-install.

I got all excited when I saw a $29 Homeworx clone being sold by Walmart- the remote has a "Zoom" key. Thought it was to zoom the image in like my Patriot Box Office media player, which can zoom to 8X. But others have suggested it is probably an aspect ratio button, which makes sense.
post #1009 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM

So, I have a quick question for you guys. I built my own antenna and hooked it up to my 150 last night. The automatic scan picked up about 14 channels. I noticed it was missing a channel that my tv could get, so I went to manual scan and went to the channel number I wanted. It showed the signal about 3/4 of the bar, so I clicked ok and it started to scan. Nothing came up under channels, then it just saved and went back to the last channel I was tuned to. Is there anything else I need to so to manually add a channel? Like I said, it shoes a decent signal on the frequency.  

post #1010 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

So, I have a quick question for you guys. I built my own antenna and hooked it up to my 150 last night. The automatic scan picked up about 14 channels. I noticed it was missing a channel that my tv could get, so I went to manual scan and went to the channel number I wanted. It showed the signal about 3/4 of the bar, so I clicked ok and it started to scan. Nothing came up under channels, then it just saved and went back to the last channel I was tuned to. Is there anything else I need to so to manually add a channel? Like I said, it shoes a decent signal on the frequency.  

When tuning manually you have to tune the Real Channel number which may not be the same as the Virtual Channel which is the one we normally see and use. Check one of your local TV websites to find out the Real number of the channel you need.

Edit; it's the Real number you need to find out.

Thxtheater likes this.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #1011 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

When tuning manually you have to tune the Real Channel number which may not be the same as the Virtual Channel which is the one we normally see and use. Check one of your local TV websites to find out the Virtual number of the channel you need.

I am using the real channel number. I know it's seeing it too as it shows a strong signal. It just wont save it.

post #1012 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The HW-150PVR's signal meter seems to reflect raw signal strength, but not signal quality. Also, its tuner seems more susceptible to overload and adjacent-channel interference than most, so you may have a good strong signal that the tuner just can't decode. If that's the problem, simply attenuating the signal a few dB might be all you need to make it work.

You can do that with a signal splitter. I've also had some luck using a "tap" like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPIQE

Just connect the "tap" output to your HW and the "line" to your coax in and your TV.
post #1013 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I've had the same thing happen. The "trick" I seem to figure out is power the receiver off (on the unit...not the remote). Then power it back on and retry to manually scan in the channel. It usually works then
post #1014 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 AM

Liked: 12

I bought the hw-150 back around the end of Dec. It's been quite a learning experience for me. I too have noticed the receiver  acts buggy.It misses some recordings ,channels in the timer section disappear and a string of numbers appear instead.But I noticed my hard drive tends to fall asleep about 45 min after the recording stops. When I set up recordings I now make sure the time and date are correct,by leaving it on and parked on a reliable data channel.Then I check the timer to make sure the recording date is correct. I tried it this way and still noticed it missed some recordings. So I noticed my hd light was idle ,blinking slow or seems like the hd was sleeping.So I tried pressing Rec and it displayed "no ext hd detected" or something like this anyway. When I pressed Rec the second time it started to record.So now when scheduling recordings I now schedule a hd wake up about 15min before I am due to record,for about a 2min duration.Now when I do this I notice the hd light is now steady ,so the receiver "sees " the hd. Then when the main scheduled recording comes up it records.Just a trick I tried and seems to work.Thanks

JHBrandt likes this.
post #1015 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

When tuning manually you have to tune the Real Channel number which may not be the same as the Virtual Channel which is the one we normally see and use. Check one of your local TV websites to find out the Virtual number of the channel you need.
Thanks for that bit of critically important info.

post #1016 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can also find the real (RF) channel numbers for your local stations (along with other info such as signal strength, distance, and direction) at TVFool.com.
post #1017 of 1497 Old 01-31-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspammer View Post

Quote:

I don't foresee any major EPG enhancements (unless you count the XBox OneGuide, which involves adding another whole expensive box). The HW doesn't have any way to connect to the Internet, so it has to rely on PSIP for its guide info.
Through software improvement, they could add facility to use a USB Ethernet or wireless network adapter.  It was said somewhere that using a USB hub on the USB port for USB expansion, a user could add more hard disk drives for the unit to use.

If further networking ability is provided through new features, internet time could be used as a reference and used to sanity check broadcast station date / time information.

An ability to use HDD loaded software to extend functionality is also possible if RAM can be used to load such software extensions--like a network driver for "any" USB networking adapter.  Development of all this stuff, however, would take funding, budgeting, etc.  Any downloadable driver software would require internet bandwidth and some internet server resources with any accompanying ongoing costs.
I've been thinking about this. In theory it could work. The Homeworx does indeed support multiple USB devices via a hub. But there are many practical problems.

ePVision recently tried something similar: adding support for Schedules Direct guide subscriptions to their PHD-VRX2 DVR. Nice idea, but S.D. quickly shot it down and ePVision had to pull the firmware enabling the guide off their website. Apparently S.D. is for use with strictly non-commercial software only.

A way around this, I suppose, would be for the firmware not to include guide software, but instead to follow oldspammer's suggestion above: load "plug-in" software from an attached disk. That way, a third party could write an open-source, non-commercial "plug-in" for a Schedules Direct guide, thus honoring S.D.'s terms of service.

That might be feasible with the PHD-VRX2 because it already includes an Ethernet jack, a firmware TCP/IP stack, etc., but the Homeworx doesn't have any of that. Thus, a TCP/IP stack and driver for a USB-attached Ethernet and/or WiFi adapter would have to be either included in the firmware or loaded from disk. That's a lot of extra code, and it seems unlikely there's enough room on the Homeworx's internal RAM and/or flash ROM to load all the software that would be needed for even Internet time, let alone an Internet-based EPG.

In any case, as oldspammer said, it'd be a lot of development. At a bare minimum, the firmware would need a new, documented interface for the plug-ins. I can't see Mediasonic doing all that work for a $45 box.
post #1018 of 1497 Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Does anyone know if the walmart clone ematic AT103b use compatible firmware? I would like to save $15 and just get the ematic from walmart for $30. At the ematic site there is basically no support. Someone mentioned that these are identical minus the LED channel screen and the omission of digi coax and component output. The manual and specs are the same.
post #1019 of 1497 Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK no one has tried that yet.

That said, chances are there's at least one version of the Homeworx firmware that will work; but most likely, you'd have to buy a Homeworx remote. Same goes for using iView firmware. Unless you already have a Harmony remote, that eliminates most of the savings from the eMatic. And since the Homeworx itself has had several minor internal hardware changes, we don't know which version(s) of the Homeworx might be compatible with eMatic's hardware, and which might brick it.

All things considered, I'm not sure putting Homeworx or iView firmware on an eMatic would be worth it.
post #1020 of 1497 Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Hi, I have the v12 firmware on the box that I just received today.  Please let me know what update I should apply.

Thanks,

AG

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page