Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 34 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #991 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Someone said recently if you want to record a channel that does that, you should tune to the channel, set your timer(s), and leave the HW turned on and tuned to that channel so it won't screw up the timer..

I ended up doing that. Leaving it on Ion. Funny thing is I recorded a couple other shows after that (on different channels) and when I came back later it was back on Ion. So I guess if you leave the receiver on and there is a timer set for another channel, after it is done recording it goes back "where ya were" so to speak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post

Still not using my box a lot but I have the "flashy" problem with one channel, ABC. This channel also provides the most guide info - my DTVPal show 4-days of PSIP. To those of you seeing the flash, is it on channels that provide a lot of guide data?

nope. Max I've seen is a day (on the DTVPal I've seen 4 days too on some channels). My local CW is barely 10 hours
post #993 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Just checked my stations: The ones that "double-clutched" were KUVN/23 (Univision), KHFD/51 (an independent religious LPTV), and KPXD/68 (Ion). None of these broadcast a long EPG. Two of them broadcast several subchannels, but KUVN/23 only has the main channel, and several others that have several subchannels didn't double-clutch. KERA/13 and KDAF/33 do broadcast long (3-day) EPGs but they didn't double-clutch as far as I could tell. (K31GL might have double-clutched when I first turned the Homeworx on, but I didn't notice.)

One thing I did notice was that none of the stations double-clutched more than once. (I think it's something in the stations' PSIPs that changes maybe once a day that triggers it.) So once you've tuned to the troublesome stations, you're probably good for at least a few hours before you have to worry about it happening again.
post #994 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

... One thing I did notice was that none of the stations double-clutched more than once. (I think it's something in the stations' PSIPs that changes maybe once a day that triggers it.) So once you've tuned to the troublesome stations, you're probably good for at least a few hours before you have to worry about it happening again.

For me, the ABC station does the flash on first tune and on returning during the same use session. Not every time but often enough to be really annoying. However, it has not missed a recording that was set to start one minute early. I usually set recordings from the EPG but change the Start/End time.

JHBrandt, about the tuners, I am not saying the HDHomeRun has a bad or weak tuner. I based my ranking on ability to tune a weak station. Since they all have different signal strength indicators, what I did was connect the pal and the HmWrx directly to the TV by HDMI. I connected the HDHomeRun by cable to the router, then by cable to my laptop.

I then tuned them all to the same weak station. The DTVPAl showed 58-60 but recorded the station cleanly, without any breakups. The HmWrx had frequent minor breaks. I could see the laptop screen while watching the TV and I frequently saw the WMC message saying weak or lost signal.
post #995 of 1683 Old 02-06-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Getting alot of disconnect with my Xbox one. Didn't have this before. Anyone know why?
post #996 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoore View Post

Remote range.

Anybody having problem with the range of the remote? My equipment rack is right behind my seating area, with my projector projecting onto a wall. I can point all of my remotes (except the one for this device) at the wall, and they will work fine. I find that this remote has only about half the range of my other remotes. Anyone else notice this?

I have a similar problem, but it doesn't seem to be a range issue, it's more of a direct angle issue. I have been using ONLY a Logitech Harmony Smart Control hub with one IR blaster hooked up in the center of my HT room, and it controls everything perfectly EXCEPT for the PVR. The blaster has to be pointed directly at the front of the unit and not to either side more then 5° or so or it will not receive a signal. My cabinet is a self built cherry equipment rack with rack rail and steel shelves at the bottom, and record storage and a turntable filling the top area, so I don't have a lot of room to move it vertically or more in the open, but a Roku, Blu-Ray, and receiver on the same shelves work fine with IR from the center of the room without moving the blaster. The cabinet is approximately 5' to the left of my wall mounted TV, and set at a 45° (not on the same plane as TV) in a corner. I don't have a huge issue with the setup like it is, but my intention is to put the Harmony hub in the cabinet, and wire the blaster using 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono adapters and extensions through to my ceiling, and have the blaster placed in front of my ceiling fan base which is in the center of the room. I know the rest of my equipment will receive the signal fine with the fronts of the equipment pulled forward to the front of the shelves, but the PVR will not receive the signal. I don't really want to wire another blaster to the lower area of the room, as I'm going for a clean, wire free setup.

So I guess my options are
1) to relocate the PVR to an area or lower shelf that I don't need to see/access the front, where the hub can directly face it (meaning I'd have to have a permanent USB solution instead of changing flash drives like I am now)
2) use another brand blaster that goes over the IR eye instead of having to be away from the PVR. The Logitech has 2 2.5mm outputs, and they can be split.

Any other suggestions?
Quote:

Others have made similar complaints. Here are a few things to try:
  1. AAA lithium (e.g., Energizer Max, Energizer Ultimate) batteries have a slightly higher voltage and may help by increasing the brightness of the IR LED in the remote.
  2. A universal remote, especially one that uses 3 or 4 batteries instead of 2 and/or has multiple IR LEDs.
  3. If you're handy with a soldering iron you could replace the IR LED itself with a brigher one, as described here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/640_20#post_24112100
  4. A mirror on the wall tongue.gif

I see these posts also mention that the weakness might be on the receiving end, I wonder about removing the receiver and extending it with tiny wires off the board so it protrudes further, or comes out of it's hole. I have not torn anything apart yet, so I don't know what I'd be looking at yet. Maybe an IR receiver from another device could be put in its place that isn't so directional, unless it's just the plastic around the eye causing it.
post #997 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you record to a portable hard drive do you then have to output from the hard drive via USB to your tv or can you use the HDMI or component outputs on the unit itself to output a recorded show to a tv? I'm thinking of getting one to hook up to an HDTV with no USB inputs. Also wondering if you can purchase these in a store or are they only available online?
post #998 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So I recorded a bunch of stuff for the last 2 weeks and it says zero when I go to play them back on HomeWorx and also checked on my Sony Bluray player, damn I'm pissed.mad.gif Put it on my computer and get ZERO as well. Using a WD portable HD, which was working fine till this happened.mad.gif

post #999 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

If you record to a portable hard drive do you then have to output from the hard drive via USB to your tv or can you use the HDMI or component outputs on the unit itself to output a recorded show to a tv? I'm thinking of getting one to hook up to an HDTV with no USB inputs. Also wondering if you can purchase these in a store or are they only available online?

I believe only online and yes you'd use the Homeworx itself to play your recordings and hook HDMI, component or composite from the iView to your TV.

post #1000 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

You might try hooking up the hard drive to your computer and use a program called "Recuva" to scan for deleted files. It's a free program from here: http://www.piriform.com/

Try it without using the "Deep Scan" 1st, it may find them. If not, do a deep scan. If the files haven't been written over it will recover them.

I recovered 5 seasons of Big Bang Theory a college student had on a drive he sold me and (thought he) had deleted all files. Hehe.

Thanks alot chazdole! Just downloaded it, it says it will take 1 day to finish. 82 files found it says. I hope it works. Funny thing you mention BBT I had some episodes I recorded on the drive I'm trying to recover.smile.gif Thanks again.biggrin.gif

post #1001 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:

You're welcome. It has saved my butt several times. Wow, that's a long time. Did you try the non-deep scan? Should take a minute or so for that one, although my drive was only 250gb. Full scan was a few hours. But worth it if the files are important.

Yeah I tried normal scan, but nothing came up. I guess since it's 83 files it takes longer. I think I had like 15 shows I recorded and the others are old files I deleted when I finished watching them. Nothing really Important, but the regular shows I watch + the Last Leno shows and Grammys, which I had not deleted yet. Says 18 hrs now. I'm sure it will finish by tonight, hopefully. Has this happened to you with Homeworx?

post #1002 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I believe only online and yes you'd use the Homeworx itself to play your recordings and hook HDMI, component or composite from the iView to your TV.
Thanks. I read a couple reviews on Newegg and some had problems with the HDMI output not working or not working with their receiver. I guess you can output in HD using the component out if the HDMI didn't work for some reason. I know they disabled HD out from component on new bluray players a while ago but I would think it would work with this.
post #1003 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_the_ba View Post

I see these posts also mention that the weakness might be on the receiving end, I wonder about removing the receiver and extending it with tiny wires off the board so it protrudes further, or comes out of it's hole. I have not torn anything apart yet, so I don't know what I'd be looking at yet. Maybe an IR receiver from another device could be put in its place that isn't so directional, unless it's just the plastic around the eye causing it.
I took the cover off and tested my unit- no change. Your mileage may vary.
From the two of you, it does sound like the insensitivity comes mostly from the receiving end. Given that, I recommend option 5: the Next Generation remote control extender. You can then glue its IR blaster directly to the Homeworx's sensor, and it won't matter how bright the LED in your actual remote is.

I actually use a Next Generation extender, and am somewhat embarrassed that I didn't think of that solution myself redface.gif
post #1004 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

There's a clone - the eMatic - available at Wal*Mart. Less expensive and the remote's not bad, but it lacks some of the Homeworx's outputs (component video and coaxial audio IIRC). Not sure how the firmware compares.

I hadn't thought of it, but if your TV has a USB port, you might could play your recordings that way as well as via the Homeworx itself. I'll have to give that a try at home.
post #1005 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

There's a clone - the eMatic - available at Wal*Mart. Less expensive and the remote's not bad, but it lacks some of the Homeworx's outputs (component video and coaxial audio IIRC). Not sure how the firmware compares.

I hadn't thought of it, but if your TV has a USB port, you might could play your recordings that way as well as via the Homeworx itself. I'll have to give that a try at home.

There are people that have mentioned buying both the homeworx and the iview at retail stores, so some people may be able to find them locally. I haven't seen either one in any store where I live and I have looked for them, but there was a knock off at best buy last time I was there. I couldn't get a look at it for the model and manufacturer since it was behind a temporary in-store construction barrier.

I can play the recorded files with no problem if I hook the drive up to my TV. It just depends on what filetypes your TV supports (assuming it also supports the recording media you use). Another person with a similar model to mine but a year or two older has to rename the file extensions on his first but it works on mine without any intervention.
post #1006 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. I read a couple reviews on Newegg and some had problems with the HDMI output not working or not working with their receiver. I guess you can output in HD using the component out if the HDMI didn't work for some reason. I know they disabled HD out from component on new bluray players a while ago but I would think it would work with this.

Yes component output is full HD(whatever resolution you set it up for in the setup) and it's the way I have mine setup because no handshaking issues using component.

post #1007 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

My recordings do work on my TV. A nice convenience. I knew the TV had a USB port but for some reason I never thought about plugging my Homeworx drive into it until today redface.gif

It's fortunate that my TV and the Homeworx both support NTFS, so it's literally plug-and-play. I don't think my TV supports any of the Linux ext file systems used by some other DVRs.
post #1008 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post

I am not saying the HDHomeRun has a bad or weak tuner. I based my ranking on ability to tune a weak station. Since they all have different signal strength indicators, what I did was connect the pal and the HmWrx directly to the TV by HDMI. I connected the HDHomeRun by cable to the router, then by cable to my laptop.

I then tuned them all to the same weak station. The DTVPAl showed 58-60 but recorded the station cleanly, without any breakups. The HmWrx had frequent minor breaks. I could see the laptop screen while watching the TV and I frequently saw the WMC message saying weak or lost signal.
There could be several reasons why a particular station is hard to tune. The most common are probably, first, a very weak signal, or second, a rather weak signal adjacent to a strong one. I have a couple of the former and one of the latter in my area.

I've heard elsewhere the HDHomeRun has particular trouble with the second situation, but it's not so bad with the first. The Homeworx seems somewhat marginal in both situations.

That said, it's often possible to clean up the signal enough to compensate. I just got a significant improvement almost by accident - I bought a Winegard "Boost" preamp to play with; when it arrived I replaced a Kitztech KT-100 with the Boost. That didn't seem to hurt anything, so then I replaced a Radio Shack distribution amp with the KT-100, which has more gain and probably less noise. Finally, I adjusted the gain on the KT-100 and found a setting that worked very well. Now my Homeworx can receive the local HSN affiliate rolleyes.gif Retro TV still fades and pixelates a bit, but it's mostly watchable on my Homeworx now, whereas before it was never quite reliable enough. (Unfortunately, there are other issues, such as the station's clock being off by 1 hour and 40 minutes!)
post #1009 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Yes component output is full HD(whatever resolution you set it up for in the setup) and it's the way I have mine setup because no handshaking issues using component.
Good to know, thanks. I still have 2 Philips 3576s but rarely use them now since they don't look that great on HDTVs and I mostly use my HD DVR from Comcast. Might try one on a tv not hooked up to the DVR, or try the new Philips HD recorders but I don't want to spend that much on something I probably won't use that much.
post #1010 of 1683 Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I'll have to see if my local Walmart has the eMatic and maybe give that a shot. Glad to see you were able to use the USB out to the tv.
post #1011 of 1683 Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:

That's cool. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Well it didn't work.frown.gif Maybe it does not know the file extension? I tried 4 other software I found on about.com and none seem to work. Any other advice to get the files back. I wonder if I should get a smaller drive, so this won't happen again. Has this happen to anyone else? Trying out Salvage Data which Western Digital recommends on their site, well see...

post #1012 of 1683 Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 AM

Liked: 10

Well that was disappointing.  Last night I setup my Homeworx to schedule record the Olympics opening ceremony and it appears to have started recording at the correct time, then crapped out after about 3 minutes (file size 403 MB).  When I checked the TV last night towards the end of the scheduled time, the timer was displayed on the screen in the top left showing only 3 minutes and it was frozen.  More info showed no change of size on the disk, so clearly it was completely stuck.  I left it overnight and checked it this morning and it for sure stopped recording after 3 minutes.  I pressed stop and it prompted me that the recording was going to stop and to press OK to confirm but pressing OK did nothing.  I had to press the power button on the front of the box to do anything.

I successfully did a scheduled recording the night before, so not sure why last night didn't work.  Guess I'll keep trying this and see if it's a recurring problem and then go from there.

Setup:

Model: HW-150 PVR
SW VERSION: CL630133 130925 V14
HW VERSION: 7816-ATSC-03

Disk: NTFS 1TB Seagate Expansion Portable Drive

TV: Samsung 40” LCD
Connection: HDMI and coax (loop-through)

post #1013 of 1683 Old 02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Remember that once files get their index entries removed, their positions on the HDD are marked as free space and can be overwritten if you try recording anything else. The odds of successfully recovering files go down the longer you continue to operate the HDD after the deletions.
post #1014 of 1683 Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Sorry it didn't work for you. I'm surprised. Recuva has usually worked well for me. I wonder if your issue and some of the other's has to do with a large hard drive? What size is your drive? I recall reading somewhere that these units only support a 500GB drive, but many have used larger drives with no problems. I use a 320 and a 500 on mine, have not had any files disappear. A few missed recordings and the usual glitches, freezes, and whatnot that others experience.

In the end, these boxes just don't seem to be very reliable. I usually record critical shows on 2 or 3 different machines, the HW-150, my computer's tuner card, and my 100% reliable (so far, 1-1/2 years) Magnavox SD DVR.

I have a 2 TB drive, which Homeworx says should work on their website. I was gonna get the Magnovox, but decided on the Homeworx, since I'm on a very tight budget.

post #1015 of 1683 Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Remember that once files get their index entries removed, their positions on the HDD are marked as free space and can be overwritten if you try recording anything else. The odds of successfully recovering files go down the longer you continue to operate the HDD after the deletions.

It's a new drive that I bought last year and never used till I got the Homeworx like 6 weeks ago.

post #1016 of 1683 Old 02-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:

File extension shouldn't be an issue. There is a tab to choose which type of file is displayed, but it defaults to all file types. And this is after the scan is complete. It hasn't been 100% in finding and restoring files for me either, but does well most of the time. And like Aleron Ives said, the longer you have used the drive since the files disappeared or were deleted, the less chance of a full recovery.

Sorry it didn't recover the files. If you find some great program that DOES recover them, let us know.

I didn't think so either. Ok I will I hope it works . What company is your hard drive and which is more reliable these days?

post #1017 of 1683 Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Looks like the 500 only works on the iview, so perhaps there is an issue with the HW unit.

I guess it is the HW. I guess if I wanna use it I'll keep it for 10 shows instead of 20. That really blows, but hey it's cheap. Do you guys delete each show as you go or format everything when you've seen everything. I deleted by show.

post #1018 of 1683 Old 02-09-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Well it didn't work.frown.gif

Assuming the files on the disk are not completely beyond repair, try this. The key to the steps below is that you never write to corrupt drive so you are free to get as aggressive as you want.

1. Use the disk image option of TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) to create an image file of the drive. So your target drive will need to be bigger than the corrupt drive or have compression on.
2. Put your corrupt drive aside - you no longer need it
3. Make a backup copy of the image file just in case
4. Mount the image file with P2 Explorer (http://www.paraben.com/p2-explorer.html free version is fine for this)
5. Attack the virtual drive with any of your favourite recovery tools (the TestDisk guy also has a program called PhotoRec). If anything goes wrong just copy the backup image and start again.
post #1019 of 1683 Old 02-09-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornanu View Post

Assuming the files on the disk are not completely beyond repair, try this. The key to the steps below is that you never write to corrupt drive so you are free to get as aggressive as you want.

1. Use the disk image option of TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) to create an image file of the drive. So your target drive will need to be bigger than the corrupt drive or have compression on.
2. Put your corrupt drive aside - you no longer need it
3. Make a backup copy of the image file just in case
4. Mount the image file with P2 Explorer (http://www.paraben.com/p2-explorer.html free version is fine for this)
5. Attack the virtual drive with any of your favourite recovery tools (the TestDisk guy also has a program called PhotoRec). If anything goes wrong just copy the backup image and start again.

dornanu thanks for the info unfortunately the drive started beeping last night after trying to get the files back and the computer would not recognize it. The warranty is until April 2015, so If I do have a problem I can send it in for repair if it happens again. I'm sure glad I didn't have anything very important on there, besides the shows I taped and the last tonight shows.mad.gif Sending it out this week to them to get my replacement. Still a bummer, since I never had a problem with my other WD till this drive. mad.gif So maybe the homeworx had nothing to do with the drive. The guy told me on the phone their is a DVR WD drive: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Expander-eSATA-External-Drive/dp/B003MVZ60S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391961163&sr=8-1&keywords=DVR+Expander+My+Book+AV

post #1020 of 1683 Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

One other thing I've noticed on my HW-150 is sometimes when I record a sporting event it will record part of it then just crap out.

Last Sunday I recorded the college basketball game on CBS (WCCO). I had it set for 2:30:00 yet it recorded only 1:41:55. After that the timer (that shows onscreen when recording) stayed at that but my hard drive continued to whirl.

an update...must have been gremlins because I recorded both games on CBS this weekend for 2:30:00 and both recorded fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page