AVS Forum banner

Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion

448K views 3K replies 285 participants last post by  JHBrandt 
#1 ·
hi,

you may post any questions / issues/ suggestions you may have about Homeworx HW-150PVR here

or in our forum
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewforum.php?f=44

HW-150PVR Firmware update V10
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/download/file.php?id=321

it fixes the following issues

* Time

* Recordings / Daily / weekly

* Page down in EPG

**Note: Due to not being able to get Program guide from QAM Clear channels, We decided to continue just to focus on OTA support, as we originally intended to do.

Edit: Sept. 09, 2013

New Remote Layout on new batch of HW-150PVR

due to customer's feedback, we changed the layout of the remote (no new button, just new layout)

If your HW-150PVR have serial # HW-150PVR13070001 and UP. it comes with a new remote layout "Timer" beside the "REC", This unit has V8 version of firmware and it contains same fix as V10, so you do not need to flash the firmware on it.

http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1811

ATTN: If you have V8 or V13 Firmware DO NOT install V10. Your V8 and V13 is latest for your unit, With same fixes as V10

V8, no firmware update required.

V10, no firmware update required.

V13, no firmware update required.

V14, no firmware update required

V1, no firmware update required

If your box come with different firmware then the above,please contact us and let us know which firmware you have now

V1 has a new Dome MSD1237 and comes with PAL disabled (don't think we use that in North America)

So whoever got V1, Do not think is old, cause V14, V13,V8 will not work with it

if you need QAM for V1

contact us

Stop chasing for firmware update ( there is no update)

if you box came with

V8 is the latest for your unit

V13 is the latest for your unit

V14 is the latest for your unit

V1 is the latest for your unit

all the above have the same fix as V10 (the only major fix we released)

if there any firmware update we will announce it

email us: rma_east AT mediasonic.ca

See less See more
#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23589536

Does your cable company insist on charging extra for HD? Is that why they broadcast SD duplicates of everything? (Of course, that would be rather pointless unless the HD versions were blocked to non-HD subscribers, either via encryption or with an RF filter at the junction box.)

Here in Minneapolis they have to have the SD duplicates. I'll try to explain it

-Lifeline is 2-23 + some extras...Basically locals (and subchannels), public access/shopping/religious and we get WGN, TBS & CNN in lifeline. This is unencrypted QAM

-everything above 24 is scrambled

You need a box regardless of package (unless you do the QAM technique for lifeline). Box options

-a DTA....think of this as a OTA converter box but no guide. Its SD only

-a standard box. Its included in all packages and is SD only. Has guide in it

-HD receiver....costs $10 a month for the "receiver" but basically its a HD fee

-HD DVR...they're like $19 a month now

total channels in QAM

-56 channels total (including 10 duplicate HD channels in SD)

-14 HD (10 locals, QVC, HSN, WGN, TBS)

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23590611

MediasonicEast I registered for your forum and never got the email . Is this normal or haven't I waited long enough its been over an hour .

Please check if is in your spam email? or did you enter the email correctly?

cause we get email about emails not deliverable or blocked

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23590634

That forum is run with a pretty heavy hand.

The Admin deleted one of my posts that pointed out a better solution than the advice of the Admin.

YMMV

Regards

Some of your replies are good and thanks for the informative posts

but one where the guy ask if he can watch connected to hdmi of his tv

you went to suggest him no, is better split the signal and stuff.

you just confusing the guy. When he only wanted to know if he can use HDMI

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23596219

you just confusing the guy.
That is not a fact, but merely an assumption on your part.

The Admin didn't even let the OP (or anyone else) read/review/comment on what you seem to claim is "too much information", which was a configuration that ensured the ability to record one channel and watch another channel at the same time.

There's no warning in the Terms of Use that better-than-obvious answers are unacceptable and subject to purging.

You've provided a reason to not contribute to that forum, as I have no guidelines as to when I'll run afoul of the unstated "too much information" rule.

Thank you for confirming my assertion that "that forum is run with a pretty heavy hand".

Regards

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23596262

The Admin didn't even let the OP (or anyone else) read/review/comment on what you seem to claim is "too much information", which was a configuration that ensured the ability to record one channel and watch another channel at the same time.

There's no warning in the Terms of Use that better-than-obvious answers are unacceptable and subject to purging.

You've provided a reason to not contribute to that forum, as I have no guidelines as to when I'll run afoul of the unstated "too much information" rule.

Thank you for confirming my assertion that "that forum is run with a pretty heavy hand".

Regards
I was going to help a poster do some troubleshooting on a strange channel selection question, but since the HW Admin responded I was afraid I might get too technical. I feel when you buy a product and it doesn't work like a product you own, an explanation should be provided.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23596262

Regards

sorry but we want to keep it simple. If the customer ask if he can view thru HDMI or not, we go straight to the point and answer yes or no

telling him to split the signal so he can watch and record another channel, is not what he asked.

you can always start a new post and share info

like did you know you could split signal and do this and that,

then we won't mind

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23598849

sorry but we want to keep it simple. If the customer ask if he can ..., we go straight to the point and answer yes or no.

telling him to ... is not what he asked
Then why don't you follow your own "rules" instead of being hypocritical:

> Re: hook up external bookshelf speakers

> Postby Admin_Mediasonic » August 5th, 2013, 1:51 am

>

>> ricefedkk wrote:Will the audio work if I hook up my bookshelf speakers to the back of the unit red and white RCA Audio jacks?

>

> Does your TV have audio out? if so you could hook to PVR by HDMI, then your bookshelf speak to the TV out RCA Audio

That post by Admin_Mediasonic goes beyond answering the original question in a yes/no manner, and offers an alternate configuration that (he didn't ask about and) could confuse (gasp!) the OP.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23599012

>

>> ricefedkk wrote:Will the audio work if I hook up my bookshelf speakers to the back of the unit red and white RCA Audio jacks?

>

> Does your TV have audio out? if so you could hook to PVR by HDMI, then your bookshelf speak to the TV out RCA Audio

That post by Admin_Mediasonic goes beyond answering the original question in a yes/no manner, and offers an alternate configuration that (he didn't ask about and) could confuse (gasp!) the OP.
That's kinda wierd. But I've seen worse. Anyhow, ever see a TV with speaker outputs and not line outputs? There may be one out there. It's a big world.

#88 ·
AVSF is hardly the place to discuss the policies of another forum, but at least use PMs if you can't resist continuing to do so.

The Homeworx seems to have already outclassed the iView solely through having superior firmware. If only there was a way to let you watch and record at the same time, the competition might be over.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23599220

AVSF is hardly the place to discuss the policies of another forum,
That's probably true.

But I publicly posted a message asking why my (previous) post was deleted, and the only "response" I got was a deletion of that post too.

So I was very surprised to get response(s) and explanation from a Mediasonic representative on this site.

Regards

#90 ·

Quote:
So I was very surprised to get response(s) and explanation from a Mediasonic representative on this site.
He tried to correct his 'wrong' since it is now made 'public' here. There is another unrelated forum up north that does the same thing by deleting posts that they/he doesn't agree with and it has little to do with their 'rules'.

#91 ·
A very basic question but while googling for HomeWorx HW-150PVR I found this thread and realized it was very active.

I'm looking to replace my Samsung SIR-T451 OTA digital tuner. Would this unit function in the same method as the Samsung? That is being able to convert over the air broadcast signal and then send that signal via HDMI to my projector?

Thanks!

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrywise  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/90#post_23603269

A very basic question but while googling for HomeWorx HW-150PVR I found this thread and realized it was very active.

I'm looking to replace my Samsung SIR-T451 OTA digital tuner. Would this unit function in the same method as the Samsung? That is being able to convert over the air broadcast signal and then send that signal via HDMI to my projector?

Thanks!

HW-150PVR inside is with Samsung chip. Beside OTA digital tuner, It is also a DVR or VRC replacement. It can record and schedule daily and weekly record TV program to USB drive or Fast USB flash drive. It needs firmware V10. New one should have that, can download from user forum. It is functional product. However not a perfect product. It is not very user friendly on remote key sequence and key position.

For $50, I am very happy for it. HDMI with 1080p setting to TV(my is Panasonic Plasma) looks real good.

I only use Antenna, not sure about cable TV. Look like QAM has more issue.

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23599482

That's probably true.

But I publicly posted a message asking why my (previous) post was deleted, and the only "response" I got was a deletion of that post too.

Regards

Since I know you will see the reply here already

there was no need to reply there, cause I replied to you here 1st, before seeing your other post

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/60#post_23599012

>

>

oh, c'mon

did you not see the reply someone gave him before me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Free TV 

I asume you want to use the audio out from the RCA L/R jacks while using the HDMI for video.

Yes, it works. But the audio will be slightly off from the HDM audioI. You will have to mute the TV speakers.

seeing that he said audio may be slightly off . I made this suggestion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin_Mediasonic 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricefedkk 

Will the audio work if I hook up my bookshelf speakers to the back of the unit red and white RCA Audio jacks?

Does your TV have audio out? if so you could hook to PVR by HDMI, then your bookshelf speak to the TV out RCA Audio

if HDMI to TV speaker does not have audio syncing off, Then hooking up speaker to TV may solve that

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/90#post_23609650

sorry, I mean Audio Out
Sorry, I didn't want to get in the middle. Most small speakers, some with RCA connectors, will work when connected directly to a TV. This is normally a very flat panel plasma. On every TV I have every owned or used the "audio out" is a line level fixed output of the high impedance variety, not for the low impedance 4 to 16 ohm small wattage speakers.

IF I was asked the question I would have asked for the TV's model number, found its manual online and determined the properties of the "audio out" connectors. Then I would have suggested either passive or active (powered) speakers. After many years I have never used internal TV speakers.

The rear of your HW-150PVR also has RW audio connections. If I asked "can I connect my bookshelf speakers to them", would you say "yes"?

#98 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/90#post_23609815

Sorry, I didn't want to get in the middle. Most small speakers, some with RCA connectors, will work when connected directly to a TV. This is normally a very flat panel plasma. On every TV I have every owned or used the "audio out" is a line level fixed output of the high impedance variety, not for the low impedance 4 to 16 ohm small wattage speakers.

IF I was asked the question I would have asked for the TV's model number, found its manual online and determined the properties of the "audio out" connectors. Then I would have suggested either passive or active (powered) speakers. After many years I have never used internal TV speakers.

The rear of your HW-150PVR also has RW audio connections. If I asked "can I connect my bookshelf speakers to them", would you say "yes"?

Yes, the RCA (Red / White) out works, but then I will ask you what kind of connecting cable your speaker has, since you didn't specify

but in the case of the customer that asked, he did specify
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricefedkk 

Will the audio work if I hook up my bookshelf speakers to the back of the unit red and white RCA Audio jacks?

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast  /t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/90#post_23609871

Yes, the RCA (Red / White) out works, but then I will ask you what kind of connecting cable your speaker has, since you didn't specify

but in the case of the customer that asked, he did specify
Your web site manual indicates the RW audio RCA jacks of the HW-150PVR connect to the TV or an amplifier. But it does say "optional" on top of the amplifier. So I guess I can live with that.

#100 ·
I generally assume RCA audio jacks are line-level (high impedance) unless it's specifically stated otherwise. Low-impedance connectors for un-amplified speakers are usually the wire clip type (you hold down the clip, insert a cm or so of stripped speaker wire, then release the clip to lock it in place. There are two wire clips for each speaker). So whether the output is from the Homeworx or the TV, it's almost certainly line-level.

But I can understand preferring the TV's outputs if there's an audio/video sync issue when mixing the Homeworx's RCA outputs and its HDMI output. Of course, an alternative would be to use component video instead of HDMI. Component video should be in sync with the RCA audio outputs.

#101 ·
I'm probably one firmware update (QAM improvement) away from getting one of these. Can you guys answer a few questions?

How is this for playing back other media (xvid/avi, x264/mkv, 1080p, mp3, ac3, dts, subtitle files, etc.)?

Can a USB hub be connected to allow for more than one HDD or a an HDD and an open slot for a USB stick?

Does anyone have a list of persistent issues that still need fixing?