Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 1455 Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A very basic question but while googling for HomeWorx HW-150PVR I found this thread and realized it was very active.

I'm looking to replace my Samsung SIR-T451 OTA digital tuner. Would this unit function in the same method as the Samsung? That is being able to convert over the air broadcast signal and then send that signal via HDMI to my projector?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1455 Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Yes.
post #93 of 1455 Old 08-06-2013, 08:22 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrywise View Post

A very basic question but while googling for HomeWorx HW-150PVR I found this thread and realized it was very active.

I'm looking to replace my Samsung SIR-T451 OTA digital tuner. Would this unit function in the same method as the Samsung? That is being able to convert over the air broadcast signal and then send that signal via HDMI to my projector?

Thanks!

HW-150PVR inside is with Samsung chip. Beside OTA digital tuner, It is also a DVR or VRC replacement. It can record and schedule daily and weekly record TV program to USB drive or Fast USB flash drive. It needs firmware V10. New one should have that, can download from user forum. It is functional product. However not a perfect product. It is not very user friendly on remote key sequence and key position.
For $50, I am very happy for it. HDMI with 1080p setting to TV(my is Panasonic Plasma) looks real good.
I only use Antenna, not sure about cable TV. Look like QAM has more issue.
post #94 of 1455 Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

That's probably true.
But I publicly posted a message asking why my (previous) post was deleted, and the only "response" I got was a deletion of that post too.
So I was very surprised to get response(s) and explanation from a Mediasonic representative on this site.

Regards

Since I know you will see the reply here already
there was no need to reply there, cause I replied to you here 1st, before seeing your other post
post #95 of 1455 Old 08-08-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

Then why don't you follow your own "rules" instead of being hypocritical:

> Re: hook up external bookshelf speakers
> Postby Admin_Mediasonic » August 5th, 2013, 1:51 am
>
>> ricefedkk wrote:Will the audio work if I hook up my bookshelf speakers to the back of the unit red and white RCA Audio jacks?
>
> Does your TV have audio out? if so you could hook to PVR by HDMI, then your bookshelf speak to the TV out RCA Audio

That post by Admin_Mediasonic goes beyond answering the original question in a yes/no manner, and offers an alternate configuration that (he didn't ask about and) could confuse (gasp!) the OP.

oh, c'mon
did you not see the reply someone gave him before me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Free TV 
I asume you want to use the audio out from the RCA L/R jacks while using the HDMI for video.

Yes, it works. But the audio will be slightly off from the HDM audioI. You will have to mute the TV speakers.

seeing that he said audio may be slightly off . I made this suggestion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin_Mediasonic 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricefedkk 
Will the audio work if I hook up my bookshelf speakers to the back of the unit red and white RCA Audio jacks?

Does your TV have audio out? if so you could hook to PVR by HDMI, then your bookshelf speak to the TV out RCA Audio

if HDMI to TV speaker does not have audio syncing off, Then hooking up speaker to TV may solve that
post #96 of 1455 Old 08-08-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

That's kinda wierd. But I've seen worse. Anyhow, ever see a TV with speaker outputs and not line outputs? There may be one out there. It's a big world.

sorry, I mean Audio Out
post #97 of 1455 Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast View Post

sorry, I mean Audio Out

Sorry, I didn't want to get in the middle. Most small speakers, some with RCA connectors, will work when connected directly to a TV. This is normally a very flat panel plasma. On every TV I have every owned or used the "audio out" is a line level fixed output of the high impedance variety, not for the low impedance 4 to 16 ohm small wattage speakers.

IF I was asked the question I would have asked for the TV's model number, found its manual online and determined the properties of the "audio out" connectors. Then I would have suggested either passive or active (powered) speakers. After many years I have never used internal TV speakers.

The rear of your HW-150PVR also has RW audio connections. If I asked "can I connect my bookshelf speakers to them", would you say "yes"?

post #98 of 1455 Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Sorry, I didn't want to get in the middle. Most small speakers, some with RCA connectors, will work when connected directly to a TV. This is normally a very flat panel plasma. On every TV I have every owned or used the "audio out" is a line level fixed output of the high impedance variety, not for the low impedance 4 to 16 ohm small wattage speakers.

IF I was asked the question I would have asked for the TV's model number, found its manual online and determined the properties of the "audio out" connectors. Then I would have suggested either passive or active (powered) speakers. After many years I have never used internal TV speakers.

The rear of your HW-150PVR also has RW audio connections. If I asked "can I connect my bookshelf speakers to them", would you say "yes"?

Yes, the RCA (Red / White) out works, but then I will ask you what kind of connecting cable your speaker has, since you didn't specify

but in the case of the customer that asked, he did specify
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricefedkk 
Will the audio work if I hook up my bookshelf speakers to the back of the unit red and white RCA Audio jacks?
post #99 of 1455 Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediasonicEast View Post

Yes, the RCA (Red / White) out works, but then I will ask you what kind of connecting cable your speaker has, since you didn't specify

but in the case of the customer that asked, he did specify

Your web site manual indicates the RW audio RCA jacks of the HW-150PVR connect to the TV or an amplifier. But it does say "optional" on top of the amplifier. So I guess I can live with that.

post #100 of 1455 Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I generally assume RCA audio jacks are line-level (high impedance) unless it's specifically stated otherwise. Low-impedance connectors for un-amplified speakers are usually the wire clip type (you hold down the clip, insert a cm or so of stripped speaker wire, then release the clip to lock it in place. There are two wire clips for each speaker). So whether the output is from the Homeworx or the TV, it's almost certainly line-level.

But I can understand preferring the TV's outputs if there's an audio/video sync issue when mixing the Homeworx's RCA outputs and its HDMI output. Of course, an alternative would be to use component video instead of HDMI. Component video should be in sync with the RCA audio outputs.
post #101 of 1455 Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm probably one firmware update (QAM improvement) away from getting one of these. Can you guys answer a few questions?

How is this for playing back other media (xvid/avi, x264/mkv, 1080p, mp3, ac3, dts, subtitle files, etc.)?

Can a USB hub be connected to allow for more than one HDD or a an HDD and an open slot for a USB stick?

Does anyone have a list of persistent issues that still need fixing?

--
(this space for rent)
post #102 of 1455 Old 08-11-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Can a USB hub be connected to allow for more than one HDD or a an HDD and an open slot for a USB stick?
Quote:
Does anyone have a list of persistent issues that still need fixing?
Yes to both;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread#post_23143523
#15 in the list and click on the link at the bottom of that post for a list (though a few of those looked like they were fixed).

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #103 of 1455 Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, but isn't the list of bugs for the iView not the Homeworx? I thought the Homeworx had resolved many issues still found in the iView.

--
(this space for rent)
post #104 of 1455 Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Both of these use the same SoC. The major difference is the enclosure and the remote codes and who writes the firmware specific to each device. wink.gif
The recording issues have been addressed here and it looks like they are with the iView.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #105 of 1455 Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Is that true? I was under the impression that the Homeworx doesn't have the 24/7 issue and the iView does.
I also thought the Homeworx has a clock reset problem with QAM while the iView doesn't.
Among other things, that's just off the top of my head.

I'd like to suggest, in addition to the slow motion function request, a 1.5x playback function (with audio).

And again, I want to ask: has no one played any media on these devices? DivX, x264, etc?

I have a 'dumb' TV (actually just a bad selection of smart features.) I'm hoping that this will kill 2 birds with one stone (DVR and media player).
At this point I'm willing to assume it works for media as it claims, but is there a list of supported formats/codecs?
SRT subtitle support is extremely, among other things.

Edit: ALSO, is there a spec requirement for the HDD. I know USB stick isn't recommended, but I've got an old 60gb IDE drive I was thinking of stuffing in an enclosure to mess around with. Would that be too old and slow?

--
(this space for rent)
post #106 of 1455 Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

Is that true? I was under the impression that the Homeworx doesn't have the 24/7 issue and the iView does.
I also thought the Homeworx has a clock reset problem with QAM while the iView doesn't.
Among other things, that's just off the top of my head.

I'd like to suggest, in addition to the slow motion function request, a 1.5x playback function (with audio).

And again, I want to ask: has no one played any media on these devices? DivX, x264, etc?

I have a 'dumb' TV (actually just a bad selection of smart features.) I'm hoping that this will kill 2 birds with one stone (DVR and media player).
At this point I'm willing to assume it works for media as it claims, but is there a list of supported formats/codecs?
SRT subtitle support is extremely, among other things.

Edit: ALSO, is there a spec requirement for the HDD. I know USB stick isn't recommended, but I've got an old 60gb IDE drive I was thinking of stuffing in an enclosure to mess around with. Would that be too old and slow?

I have both IV3500 and HW150,. I don't have cable TV, cannot answer QAM question and only experience below questions
Q1: I was under the impression that the Homeworx doesn't have the 24/7 issue and the iView does
A1: With latest firmware IVIEW V7, HOMEWORX V12, both does not have 24/7 issue. IVIEW does not schedule record(only work 1st time) correctly. HOMEWORX works.

Q2: is there a spec requirement for the HDD. I know USB stick isn't recommended, but I've got an old 60gb IDE drive I was thinking of stuffing in an enclosure to mess around with. Would that be too old and slow?
A2: I use a fast USB FLASH driver(Corsair Voyager)64G on IV3500 and very old 20GB(from 1998 laptop) on USB drive box to Homeworx. So far everything are working with 3 schedule records everyday.
From what I read for google. It need a minimun of 25mb/s write for 1081i record. So far I use Corsair Voyage 64G for recording 720i or below. 1080i eat up 8+GB disk space per hours.
The 20Gb driver only good for 2 hours. Currently I am testing 3TB disk, does not look like as stable as the smaller disk drive. I am not 100% yet. Have experience once 3GB disk unexpectly
disconnected while recording and does not power down.
post #107 of 1455 Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Answering my own question. Copypasta from Mediasonic's site:
Quote:
Supported
.avi (XVID video codec)
.avi (DX50/ Divx video Codec)
.avi (avc1 video Codec)
.mp4 (avc1 video Codec)
.mov (avc1 video codec)
.mkv (Vorbis and AAC HE Audio codec)

Not Supported
.WMV (WMV3 video Codec)
.MKV (Dolby DTS audio codec)
.avi (DIV3 video Codec)
.RM
.RMVB

So no MKV containers for AVC1? No Dolby or DTS audio? Assmuingly mp3, but not stated.
No mention of srt / subtitles, so best to assume none.
Sounds like this isn't very useful for media playback outside of using it as a DVR.

--
(this space for rent)
post #108 of 1455 Old 08-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Did a quick test on some files. Files converted to divx and h264 mp4 work. However, an mp4 file i had made using a neuros OSD for a live TV recording had audio/video sync problems. I have also had success previously with an unencrypetd VOB file (mpg 2). wmv file did not play.
post #109 of 1455 Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

So no MKV containers for AVC1? No Dolby or DTS audio? Assmuingly mp3, but not stated.
No mention of srt / subtitles, so best to assume none.
Sounds like this isn't very useful for media playback outside of using it as a DVR.

If you want a DVR+media player, get the TViX 6620. It plays almost everything.
post #110 of 1455 Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Considering there are $30-60 units that do the same thing as well (like the devices from MIcca), buying something like that with a separate DVR is still a lot cheaper than an overpriced TViX.

--
(this space for rent)
post #111 of 1455 Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 AM

Liked: 11
so if you were to buy today, would you buy the homeworx for 45 or the iview for 38?
DoctorM likes this.

cm4221 with amp then 2 way splitter for 2 tv's at kayuta lake camp
antennacraft u4000 4-bay at home
post #112 of 1455 Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles233 View Post

so if you were to buy today, would you buy the homeworx for 45 or the iview for 38?

I have both IV3500 and HOMEWORX. They are pretty much the same hardware. Both need to update latest firmware to fix importance bugs, IV3500 latest V3 and HOMEWORX V10.
The latest firmware are very much the same fix level. From AVSForum, look like IV3500 has better QAM support(still not perfect). Homeworx has a better remote(not a perfect one) now. IV3500 is going to
send a new better REMOTE to existing IV3500 owner in September for free.
If you can wait til September to check on new IV3500 Remote, may be better. Will take sometime for the FIRMWARE to get mature. They are usable product but not perfect on key sequence, remote,
occasional hung(once a month, reset by power off and on). They are good VCR replacement. The above is my limit experience with them. I only use OTA.
post #113 of 1455 Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles233 View Post

I would definitely by a Homeworx if I were buying today. I only have the iview but have run homeworx firmware on it. Even with the latest iview firmware, that ostensibly fixes the same bugs that the homeworx fixed, the iview firmware is still less stable (and more of a pain in the butt) than the homeworx. Others find them about the same now but I personally have nothing but regret for buying an iview.
troydog likes this.
post #114 of 1455 Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 12
Add me also wish I had got the homeworx. But I got the iview because it was the only one on the market here at that time for such a low price. I am running the homeworx on the iview and there remote is nice and works fine for me. iview remote ugh thought they are sending a new one I hope and if better I might go back to there firmware.

So I would say go for the homeworx if you want a better remote.
post #115 of 1455 Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 PM

The Clock for the pvr is off by about two minutes so my recording starts late. Tried to adjust recording times to compensate by starting my recordings two minutes earlier, but the change in time does not save(e.g., 6:58 instead of 7:00 - timer setting still remains at 7:00 after clicking OK). Anyone else have a similar issue? Is there some kind of limitation that prevents adjustment of start time?
post #116 of 1455 Old 08-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post

The Clock for the pvr is off by about two minutes so my recording starts late. Tried to adjust recording times to compensate by starting my recordings two minutes earlier, but the change in time does not save(e.g., 6:58 instead of 7:00 - timer setting still remains at 7:00 after clicking OK). Anyone else have a similar issue? Is there some kind of limitation that prevents adjustment of start time?

I never had a problem editing start or end times in recordings running the homeworx firmware on my iview. I haven't heard anyone have the problem either. Are you getting any error when you click OK? Are there any time conflicts with other recordings?

Btw, the clock is not internal to the box - the time is retrieved from each station. Stations unfortunately often do not send correct time - they can even be hours off if they do not send the correct time zone. This is a big problem with these boxes that do not allow manual setting of time and do not have a single source for the clock so that adjustments can be made.
tahoejoe likes this.
post #117 of 1455 Old 08-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post

I do occasionally experience after changing the recording time, cannot save. It happen to me twice last 7 days. I usually press the power bottom off and on. Re-edit the schedule time, then it can save. No error and no conflict time message.

Another issue I experience couple of time is, when playback(schedule record) to certain spot, HW150 will hung, TV screen stay at one spot and REMOTE key(all), no response. Have to press power bottom off and on to restart. When it playback to that point, it hungs again, when fastForward pass that hung point, then can continue do the playback. Look like when TV OTA signal was weak or lost at around that hung point.
tahoejoe likes this.
post #118 of 1455 Old 08-14-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Finally got to try out my Homeworx last night. Initial thoughts:
  • The tuner isn't as sensitive as most other boxes I own, but it's OK. I have a PC with a dual tuner card, and one of the PC tuners is weaker than the other. The Homeworx tuner is about on par with the weaker PC tuner. There are a few weak stations that won't come in on the Homeworx, but all the full-power stations are fine.
  • Speaking of tuner sensitivity, it'd be nice if the Homeworx had a signal strength meter somewhere more accessible than the screen to manually add new channels.
  • I like its multiple "Favorites" lists. Most receivers only have a single "Favorites" list, if any. The category names are probably more useful for QAM than OTA though: I only have one "music" station, two "movies" stations, and no news or sports stations redface.gif (We used to have a sports station back when NBC US was OTA.) It'd be nice if you could rename the favorites categories.
  • I also like the ability to rename stations. The rename function seemingly has every character known to man - except a space (!) rolleyes.gif That really needs to be added in the next update.
  • I couldn't update my firmware from my USB HDD - had to use a flash drive. Perhaps the firmware update process requires a FAT32 filesystem, not NTFS.
  • Nevertheless, the update from the flash drive worked. (I don't have cable so I installed V10.) One of the fixes was to add a Daylight Saving Time setting, which left me wondering: before the update, was it AZ and HI that were SOL during the summer, or the other 48 states? eek.gif
  • Another fix is that you can now go beyond one page in the EPG. A tiny bug remains: the display always reads page 1/1 regardless of how many pages long it is, or what page you're on. Looks like the guide is limited to about 24 hours, which is on par with many other OTA receivers and DVRs. (A few, such as the DTVPal, go out further, but that may be limited by hardware - after all, the EPG has to be stored somewhere. And most stations only broadcast 12-24 hours of EPG anyway, so that's all you get no matter how far out the box goes.)
  • Video playback: I copied several videos to the HDD from my PC. ".TS" files played just fine. A .WMV file and the .WTV files wouldn't play, but those are Windows formats so I didn't really expect them to. The only bug was with .MPG files I'd converted from .WTV files; they played, but with no audio! I thought that was weird: .TS files converted from the same .WTV files played fine, and I hadn't recoded the audio or anything.

I haven't tried recording yet, but still, this is a pretty nice box for under $40. The HDD was salvaged from my PC during an upgrade, but even if I'd bought a new one, I estimate my total cost would've been around $150.
post #119 of 1455 Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Thanks, though the on/off trick did not work for me. Deleted my timers and manually added the timers to start two minutes early and that worked for me. Checked all my channels and most had the correct time, but some were two minutes slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by png5 View Post

I do occasionally experience after changing the recording time, cannot save. It happen to me twice last 7 days. I usually press the power bottom off and on. Re-edit the schedule time, then it can save. No error and no conflict time message.

Another issue I experience couple of time is, when playback(schedule record) to certain spot, HW150 will hung, TV screen stay at one spot and REMOTE key(all), no response. Have to press power bottom off and on to restart. When it playback to that point, it hungs again, when fastForward pass that hung point, then can continue do the playback. Look like when TV OTA signal was weak or lost at around that hung point.
post #120 of 1455 Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

I know there has been some talk, but I never saw anything definite. What is the state of closed captioning on these?

My TV (a Mitsubishi RP), will not decode closed captioning over HDMI. That means the playback device needs to be able to decode the CC before it gets to the TV.
Can this do that? If not, it's a deal breaker.

Also, I'm still curious if anyone has tried SRT subtitles for playing back other media.

--
(this space for rent)
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page