post #1201 of 1387 Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by treydismukes View Post

I'm trying to use my Xbox One with the HW-PVR150 and ClearQAM channels. Everything works except that the channels the Xbox tunes are not the same ones the 150 accepts as the channels. For instance, "Watch FOX" sends the commands for 113 while the 150 requires me to enter 91-113 to get to Fox.

Does anyone have any experience rectifying this? Is there a way to force a channel on the 150 to map to another code? Is there a way to force the Xbox to enter 91- first?

Your best bet would be to ask Microsoft to add a manual channel mapping function. You're not going to get Homeworx to change, especially since they don't even support QAM, and the Xbox One is the much more expensive device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1387 Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 265
To add to jprc's post, he's saying that Microsoft expects you to be using a cable box that will remap your "physical" channels to "virtual" channels that make the numbers match what viewers expect them to be (e.g. an NBC station might really be on physical channel 79, but your cable company's cable box would make NBC appear on virtual channel 3 to make it easier to find). You're not using a cable box, so you don't get the benefit of virtual channels, and thus your numbers don't match. As jprc said, the only thing you can do is to ask Microsoft to let you map channels by hand instead of forcing you to use the virtual channel numbers that you can't "see" without a cable box.
post #1203 of 1387 Old 04-03-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Has anyone gotten the dvr to function with the latest smart glass beta app? On the HW of course.
post #1204 of 1387 Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

My box arrived today from newegg. Seems to be good. Has FW V14.

My second one arrived today, it seems to work well,V14 also.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1205 of 1387 Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Liked: 10

Remote problem solved I tried the tape method it did work little better, I wanted better performance so I disassemble the remote and tapped the IR sensor hole a few sizes bigger, dressed it up with fine grade sand paper now it works like it should. I found about 1\4 inch of dead space inside the remote where the IR sensor lives. Thank you for the info jprc and Daniel       SquireShop in  Las Vegas, NV  Note: My unit came with the V12 firmware everything works great, I have WD My passport 500 Gig hard drive

post #1206 of 1387 Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 AM

Liked: 27
What's the lowest price these have gone for? I might get a 2nd one, while it has it's quirks I like it, also Is there another newer model forthcoming with more features?

post #1207 of 1387 Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squireshop View Post

Remote problem solved I tried the tape method it did work little better, I wanted better performance so I disassemble the remote and tapped the IR sensor hole a few sizes bigger, dressed it up with fine grade sand paper now it works like it should. I found about 1\4 inch of dead space inside the remote where the IR sensor lives. Thank you for the info jprc and Daniel       SquireShop in  Las Vegas, NV  Note: My unit came with the V12 firmware everything works great, I have WD My passport 500 Gig hard drive
Glad you found a satisfactory solution.

Your terminology is confusing though. Just to be clear, the remote control has an IR emitter (or LED); the Homeworx box has the IR sensor. The IR beam goes from the remote to the HW wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

What's the lowest price these have gone for? I might get a 2nd one, while it has it's quirks I like it, also Is there another newer model forthcoming with more features?

The cheapest I've seen these is $36.99. They're usually $10 more, but both Amazon and NewEgg have it on sale on occasion.

I'm not aware of any newer models being planned though. The latest model from Mediasonic is the HW-180, which will play A/V files but won't record them, so it's not an upgrade from the HW-150. Just more confusing numbers from Mediasonic.
post #1208 of 1387 Old 04-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Got mine from Newegg for $32.99 - December 2013.

I enjoy using mine much more since following apw2607's suggestion and running a "coaxial output jack for dolby digital 5.1 bitstream out." I always watch through the AVR. Guess I am an audio guy. Adding the cable is more convenient than changing the extension.

Thanks, apw2607
post #1209 of 1387 Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Glad you found a satisfactory solution.

Your terminology is confusing though. Just to be clear, the remote control has an IR emitter (or LED); the Homeworx box has the IR sensor. The IR beam goes from the remote to the HW wink.gif
The cheapest I've seen these is $36.99. They're usually $10 more, but both Amazon and NewEgg have it on sale on occasion.

I'm not aware of any newer models being planned though. The latest model from Mediasonic is the HW-180, which will play A/V files but won't record them, so it's not an upgrade from the HW-150. Just more confusing numbers from Mediasonic.

JHBrant, Thanks for the Correction. Squireshop

"Your terminology is confusing though. Just to be clear, the remote control has an IR emitter (or LED); the Homeworx box has the IR sensor. The IR beam goes from the remote to the HW"

post #1210 of 1387 Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Previously I posted, "I have also seen the "no station call letters" in my timer list. These never record, so I always delete and recreate."

Recently I had two timers without station call letters, both on ABC, my worst "flashy" station. I tuned to ABC and a little later, checked the timers again - they both now had the call letters.

Since then, I have found that any time the call letters are missing in the timer list, if I tune to the station, the call letters are restored. So far, all of the recordings have worked - no more delete and recreate. Now I, "tune & check."
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1211 of 1387 Old 04-12-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Manually edit channels? When i do a scan, i get channels i don't care for. Hoever after a factory reset, i am unable to manually add single channels? Suggestions? Thanx.
post #1212 of 1387 Old 04-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post

Manually edit channels? When i do a scan, i get channels i don't care for. Hoever after a factory reset, i am unable to manually add single channels? Suggestions? Thanx.

Go to Program Edit (I think that's what its called) in the menu. Then look at the bottom of the screen for what button to press to delete channels. They may however reappear later so it's best to just not add them in the first place. If your manual scan is not working, try reloading the firmware and/or doing another reset. Also try unplugging the box for a minute.
post #1213 of 1387 Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4tq View Post

Just picked up the Hw-150PVR from Newegg. Works fairly well for my needs but there's one annoying thing that I've noticed. There seems to be lip-sync issues when playing back my recordings. Anyone else see this? I've taken my USB drive and plugged it into a WDTV live and no sync issues when playing back.

Thanks

Did you get any resolution to your lipsync issue?

I seem to have the same and it is frustrating watching lips move in silence and sound coming out in the pauses...

post #1214 of 1387 Old 04-14-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Quote:

Go to Program Edit (I think that's what its called) in the menu. Then look at the bottom of the screen for what button to press to delete channels. They may however reappear later so it's best to just not add them in the first place. If your manual scan is not working, try reloading the firmware and/or doing another reset. Also try unplugging the box for a minute.

The problem I've noticed most is if you delete some subchannels of a given channel and keep others, the deleted subchannels often come back. This happens most often if the screen flashes after you tune to one of the subchannels you kept. This also affects "skipped" subchannels (the "skip" flag often gets removed).

Ion causes the most problems in my area (DFW) but I've also had it happen on some low-power stations, especially if the signal is marginal. Last night it actually did the reverse - I tuned to 31.4 and it deleted 31.2-31.4, keeping only 31.5. (I'd already deleted 31.1 myself.) I had to manually add 31 back and delete 31.1 again.
post #1215 of 1387 Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

That was it, thanx.

I have gone through three Antennas, and get different strengths, any recommendations for someone <30 miles from the main bunch of towers? Best so far, MonopriceMonoprice, indoors, next is to move it outdoors, but have a lot of Oak trees near the house.
post #1216 of 1387 Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Might try an Xtreme Signal HD1080X. Looks like a reasonable indoor or outdoor antenna. It's about $30 which is a bit more than the Monoprice, but it's supposed to work up to 35 miles from the towers.

Whatever you decide, try to get it up as high as practical.
post #1217 of 1387 Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I have read that the greater the range of the antenna the less likely you will get stations closer to you, I put this in practice, I have a 50 mile antenna and a 30 mile and I was able to get better signal for closer channels with the 30 then I did with the 50 but of course the 50 was able to get the stations that are super far away. So yeah its a fine balancing act when it comes to indoor antennas... ~_~

post #1218 of 1387 Old 04-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That was it, thanx.

I have gone through three Antennas, and get different strengths, any recommendations for someone <30 miles from the main bunch of towers? Best so far, MonopriceMonoprice, indoors, next is to move it outdoors, but have a lot of Oak trees near the house.

My experience with Oak is once the leaves come out, there will be much multi-path interference. I could never get an indoor antenna to work without drop outs even at less than 10 miles. Outdoors antennas needed to be played with to work best. Higher and more directional antennas seem to work better when shooting through a forest.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1219 of 1387 Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

Generally a antenna that is made for longer distances has a narrower band or point in which they can receive, if you get stations from multiple directions then you may indeed get more stations with a wider range antenna. An antenna with a narrower range is best for multipath or what used to be called ghosting with analog TV.

post #1220 of 1387 Old 04-15-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Jjeff basically nailed it; if you use a longer-range antenna it'll usually have a narrower beam width. So if you're trying to get signals from multiple widely-spaced directions you'll probably do better with a shorter-range antenna.

But if the signals are all from one direction (or at least a narrow range of directions, say within a 60-degree angle), you may do better with a longer-range antenna than you "need." It will cut multipath a lot better.

Note: if you move to a longer-range antenna, you may also need to remove (or dial down the gain on) any preamp you use. Otherwise you may overload your receiver(s) and some signals will get worse instead of better.
post #1221 of 1387 Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

Did you get any resolution to your lipsync issue?
I seem to have the same and it is frustrating watching lips move in silence and sound coming out in the pauses...

To be honest with you I haven't used it in a while.

I believe I only saw the issue with one channel. Have you played around with the audio settings?
post #1222 of 1387 Old 04-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Generally a antenna that is made for longer distances has a narrower band or point in which they can receive, if you get stations from multiple directions then you may indeed get more stations with a wider range antenna. An antenna with a narrower range is best for multipath or what used to be called ghosting with analog TV.

Thanx! So I don't monopolize the thread, can anyone direct me to somwhere I can research more info on Antennas? Wiki, is a start, but not the easiest way to implement. I'm looking for reviews, research, possibly DIY, and generally a way for me to find out the best Antenna for my needs.
post #1223 of 1387 Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Thanx! So I don't monopolize the thread, can anyone direct me to somwhere I can research more info on Antennas? Wiki, is a start, but not the easiest way to implement. I'm looking for reviews, research, possibly DIY, and generally a way for me to find out the best Antenna for my needs.

Monopolize away. Otherwise the threads get boring biggrin.gif. Between http://www.antennaweb.org and http://www.solidsignal.com you have all you need. The solid signal folks are super helpful and will put together a solution to your needs.

post #1224 of 1387 Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is also antenna talk in the technical forum here

http://www.avsforum.com/f/25/hdtv-technical

post #1225 of 1387 Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 PM

So... I just bought one of these from Amazon. I like it overall, but every three or four recordings fail because the hard drive disconnects itself during recording. So, my question is this: Should I return the unit and get a replacement, or is this somehow not a manufacturing defect? I'm using a WD Passport 1TB usb3.0 drive.

Thanks, Phillip.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #1226 of 1387 Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

So... I just bought one of these from Amazon. I like it overall, but every three or four recordings fail because the hard drive disconnects itself during recording. So, my question is this: Should I return the unit and get a replacement, or is this somehow not a manufacturing defect? I'm using a WD Passport 1TB usb3.0 drive.

Thanks, Phillip.

I used a 2TB, but it did not work well, so I started using a 320GB and it works great. I would stick to a 500GB or less.

post #1227 of 1387 Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 AM

For my first few test recordings, the record function stopped once the signal completely dropped. This has lead me on a quest for a better Antenna. On the channels that rarely drop, I have had no issues with recording.

Since I have only had the unit for about a week, I am still in the experimental phase. However, I doubt that your issue is due to the size of the HD. BTW, how are the HD's formatted, i.e. FAT32 or NTFS?

post #1228 of 1387 Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

Thanks, Phillip.

Why do you think the USB drive disconnects? Does the PVR crash or just stop recording? Signal dropouts and transmitter time anomalies can also cause this, as well as interference from nearby equipment. A drive with file corruption can also cause something like this.

Not sure what the power draw is for that passport hard drive, but if its on the high side you will have more issues than with lower power models. I use both a Hitachi 1TB Turo portable and a 128GB SSD without issue. Both are USB3.

post #1229 of 1387 Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 12
I just picked up the HW 150 PVR and I have a few questions please.

1) I am just using a temporary antenna until I get a "real" one (I think it's actually for radio signals, it works decently, but not great), but reception is better when the antenna is attached directly to my TV than it is to the HW 150 and sent VIA HDMI through my receiver to my TV. Any reason that might be? Not a big deal, should have a dedicated outdoor antenna soon, just curious.

2) Any way to tell what chip "generation" (5,6, etc.) this box uses? Does it matter? I have read the newer generations lock onto channels better, not sure if that is true.

3) Any comparisons to the newer HW 180 (non PVR) box? Does one work better than the other? I'm still well within my return period, and don't care much about the PVR function, but price was the same.

Thanks!!
post #1230 of 1387 Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The tuner chip is fairly new (and presumably 6th generation). The newer generations are better able to deal with multipath; 6th generation chips can even handle situations where the reflected signals are stronger than the direct signal, as happens sometimes in crowded urban environments.

I believe it's a low-cost "universal" tuner chip that can tune DVB-T (overseas) as well as QAM and 8VSB, although of course DVB-T isn't used by the N. America firmware. They probably sell identical or similar boxes overseas with only the firmware changed.

Nevertheless, the Homeworx tuner is not the best around. It's not bad, but I've always had trouble getting the Homeworx to lock onto the 3 or 4 weakest stations in my area. Most of my other tuners will easily lock all but one or two of these. A better antenna will probably help a great deal.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page