Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1261 of 1403 Old 04-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Alright I have a 64gb Class 10 MicroSD Card in and I scheduled my first recording to hit Fox tonight from Bobs Burgers all the way to Cosmos, so we shall see how well it does now that I am getting this channel in crystal clear and rock solid. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1403 Old 04-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nice leaf (the one that doesn't do photosynthesis)! Before putting it outside, where exactly was it inside? Do you think keeping it indoors, but just up against the window would give you a decent result? Not all of us live in a clime where we can just stick these outdoors year round.biggrin.gif
post #1263 of 1403 Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Nice leaf (the one that doesn't do photosynthesis)! Before putting it outside, where exactly was it inside? Do you think keeping it indoors, but just up against the window would give you a decent result? Not all of us live in a clime where we can just stick these outdoors year round.biggrin.gif

Yeah I literally tried all over the walls, ceiling, and the window to try and get the same signal as I am outside but no go and its even a single piece glass (ie crappy old widow) that wouldnt block any signal like the dual glass windows potentially could, ultimately I had to go outside to finally get good signal and I am glad I didnt have to mount it high for it to work or else Im sure my apartment owner would be like hell no take that down so I lucked out. smile.gif

post #1264 of 1403 Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I been playing with a leaf plus amplified antenna for a year now... and location, location, location. Seems like moving it just two feet one way or another significantly affects performance, and it likes to be high. The best spot I've found is propped up on top of the folding closet doors of one of the bed rooms with the flat side pointing about 10 degrees off the tower.... its at least 15 feet from a window off to the side. I'm trying to optimize for a high VHF ABC station about 20 miles away thats on an edge path because of a blocking hill nearby.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1265 of 1403 Old 04-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Alright so I recorded a few shows on Fox, Time shift works smooth with the SanDisk Class 10 SD Card however when it comes to recording and timeshift it suffers and when I went to watch what I recorded it had moments of skipping so I will be looking for a hard drive since this isnt cutting it.

post #1266 of 1403 Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

...If you do use a preamp with the HW, I recommend an extremely low-noise one such as Winegard's Boost or Ktiztech's KT-100. I've had good luck with those but not so much luck with anything else.

Thanks for the tip - I will try one of those. Kitztech's variable-gain model looks interesting, but the Winegard is very nicely designed.
post #1267 of 1403 Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsanchez View Post

I don't know anything about this so I just want to make sure that the box will not work with the CABLE SERVICE (not the air signal received with the antenna)?

I don't know anything about cable TV outside of North America, but most US cable companies are encrypting their cable now, so your ability to use the Homeworx with cable depends upon your cable being clear QAM. If it's encrypted, analogue, or some other format, then the Homeworx won't work. Even if you do have clear QAM, you won't be able to make recordings with the timer, because most cable feeds do not supply the PSIP information that the Homeworx needs to set its clock.

I just learned of an apparent exception: Verizon FiOS, which technically is fiber, not cable, but they still use cable inside your home. Not only do they still have a bunch of clear QAM channels, but they apparently provide PSIP as well!

Can anyone confirm this? If so, the Homeworx (with QAM firmware) and FiOS sound like a match made in heaven wink.gif
post #1268 of 1403 Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Portable WD 500GB or Toshiba 500GB work good on mine. I would not go higher than 500GB, although some say 1TB works good. I tried WD 2 TB and had problems..

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-Drive/dp/B005J7YCHG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398443472&sr=1-1&keywords=Toshiba+500GB+USB+3.0+Portable+Hard+Drive

I had great success with my WD My Book Studio 2TB (for Mac) external drive. I used the HW-150PVR to reformat it for NTFS. It found the drive, and records and plays back HD recordings as well as the original broadcasts. I think the key for these larger drives is to format them using unit's format function to ensure compatibility.
post #1269 of 1403 Old 05-01-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't tried to repeat this, but here is what I once found:

1) I allowed the HW-150PVR to format a Seagate 500GB drive.
2) This worked fine for recording, then even viewing.
3) However, when I plugged the drive into a PC ( both WIN-7 and Arch-Linux ), it didn't recognize it.
4) I plugged it back into the HW-150PVR to watch the few shows that were on it.
5) I plugged it into my WIN-7 box and formatted it as NTFS.
6) Plugged into the HW-150PVR and recorded shows, and playback worked fine.
7) Plugged into either WIN-7 or Arch-Linux, and it worked fine.

I like to view shows on my PC, because I can use VLC to view at a faster speed ( with sound ).
post #1270 of 1403 Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF8655 View Post

I had great success with my WD My Book Studio 2TB (for Mac) external drive. I used the HW-150PVR to reformat it for NTFS. It found the drive, and records and plays back HD recordings as well as the original broadcasts. I think the key for these larger drives is to format them using unit's format function to ensure compatibility.

Mine worked fine in the beggining then for some reason it was corrupted(shows disappeared mad.gif ) so I asked for a replacement after sending the HD back and just used my 500gb with no problems. I'm sure it was the WD fault and not the HW.

post #1271 of 1403 Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

well I dug up a 320gb sata hdd that I had laying around and ordered a cheap USB 3.0 enclosure for it which will be here around the end of next week so fingers crossed that all will work fine for me. smile.gif

post #1272 of 1403 Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Mine worked fine in the beggining then for some reason it was corrupted(shows disappeared mad.gif ) so I asked for a replacement after sending the HD back and just used my 500gb with no problems. I'm sure it was the WD fault and not the HW.

Yes, it sounds like that particular WD unit was faulty. In general, WD drives seem to work well with this PVR (at least in my experience).
post #1273 of 1403 Old 05-01-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoceski View Post

I haven't tried to repeat this, but here is what I once found:

1) I allowed the HW-150PVR to format a Seagate 500GB drive.
2) This worked fine for recording, then even viewing.
3) However, when I plugged the drive into a PC ( both WIN-7 and Arch-Linux ), it didn't recognize it.
4) I plugged it back into the HW-150PVR to watch the few shows that were on it.
5) I plugged it into my WIN-7 box and formatted it as NTFS.
6) Plugged into the HW-150PVR and recorded shows, and playback worked fine.
7) Plugged into either WIN-7 or Arch-Linux, and it worked fine.

I like to view shows on my PC, because I can use VLC to view at a faster speed ( with sound ).
Could be the HW creates an NTFS format that isn't quite "right," so Windows/Linux don't recognize it. I'll consider myself warned: format HDDs on my PC if I want to transfer files to/from the PC.
post #1274 of 1403 Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just learned of an apparent exception: Verizon FiOS, which technically is fiber, not cable, but they still use cable inside your home. Not only do they still have a bunch of clear QAM channels, but they apparently provide PSIP as well!

Can anyone confirm this? If so, the Homeworx (with QAM firmware) and FiOS sound like a match made in heaven wink.gif
HDTV1080P24 replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

Verizon FIOS only has PSIP data for the local channels like ABC, PBS, NBC, CBS, FOX, and other broadcast channels that were originally ATSC MPEG-2 channels (video stream is bit for bit converted to QAM MPEG-2 channels). The clear QAM channels on Verizon are 80%-90% local broadcast channels. The other 20%-10% clear QAM channels are basic cable channels and local community channels that have no guide data at all with a clear QAM tuner since no PSIP data exists. However if one uses a cablecard or the Motorola cable box with the cablecard inserted, every channel has guide data for up to two weeks.
OK, so not as good as I thought: PSIP for local channels only, and no different than what the station broadcasts OTA; the "good" guide is in the typical proprietary cable format that the HW can't use. But at least you can use one of the local channels to set the HW clock, so timed recordings can work.
post #1275 of 1403 Old 05-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 108
Quote:

Could be the HW creates an NTFS format that isn't quite "right," so Windows/Linux don't recognize it. I'll consider myself warned: format HDDs on my PC if I want to transfer files to/from the PC.

I've never had this problem on either the Homeworx or Iview firmware. HDD formatted with either one and formatted either NTFS or FAT32 connects to my Win 7 PC and also my TV USB (Linux) with no problem, is recognized and play files with no issue, copies, moves, deletes, adds files with no issue, etc. It was probably just a fluke for that person in that instance.
post #1276 of 1403 Old 05-02-2014, 10:42 AM

I'd like to beg that the Homeworx developers consider adding a simple timer recording feature for those of us using the HW-150-PVR with clear QAM channels from cable providers that do not include a time code. If I could just set a start time and stop time to record the currently selected channel, it would be a vast improvement over having to remember to manually start and stop the recording if I want to record something to watch later.

post #1277 of 1403 Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuhlmann View Post

I'd like to beg that the Homeworx developers consider adding a simple timer recording feature for those of us using the HW-150-PVR with clear QAM channels from cable providers that do not include a time code. If I could just set a start time and stop time to record the currently selected channel, it would be a vast improvement over having to remember to manually start and stop the recording if I want to record something to watch later.

could you imagine what could be done if they opened up the source code and let a community build firmware for it, so many features could be added to this, it would be epic. smile.gif

post #1278 of 1403 Old 05-02-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

That would be a really good idea, but keep in mind the Homeworx, iView, and all their clones all have very similar firmware, so it's probably controlled by some foreign company that makes the SoC for all of them. All Mediasonic (for example) can probably do is put in an order for firmware with a particular feature change (as when they released QAM-enabled versions, or changed remote layouts).
post #1279 of 1403 Old 05-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

I recall reading a discussion a few months ago, can't find it now, where the OEM chipset was posted and that the chipset owner (not Homeworx or mediasonics) was not releasing the firmware code. Someone asked them. Mediasoncs basically buys the OEM chips with firmware, solders them on a board, packages it and sells the box.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1280 of 1403 Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuhlmann View Post

I'd like to beg that the Homeworx developers consider adding a simple timer recording feature for those of us using the HW-150-PVR with clear QAM channels from cable providers that do not include a time code.

We've been given to believe that this is impossible, because the Homeworx has no clock chip of its own. Even if you had the option to set the clock yourself, the unit wouldn't keep time, because it apparently depends on PSIP time packets to keep the system clock moving forward. If you set the clock yourself, it would just stay frozen on cable and still be useless. If you only have cable and want to make timed recordings, you shouldn't have purchased one of these. That's why Homeworx doesn't officially support the QAM firmware anymore.
post #1281 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 06:00 AM

Yeah, my original reason for the purchase was to use it with a Mohu Leaf antenna, but the over-the-air reception has not been as good as I had hoped, so I'm still tied to basic cable for now. It sounds like it may have been wishful thinking that a simple timer function would be simple to implement.

post #1282 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post

For my first few test recordings, the record function stopped once the signal completely dropped. This has lead me on a quest for a better Antenna. On the channels that rarely drop, I have had no issues with recording.

Since I have only had the unit for about a week, I am still in the experimental phase. However, I doubt that your issue is due to the size of the HD. BTW, how are the HD's formatted, i.e. FAT32 or NTFS?
I formatted it NTFS as suggested in this forum. I certainly have issues with the channels that it doesn't pull in as well, but the occasional recording issues happen even on strong channels. If I'm watching the show that I'm trying to record, I'll get up and unplug the "disconnected" drive, plug it back in, and hit record again to miss as little as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

Why do you think the USB drive disconnects? Does the PVR crash or just stop recording? Signal dropouts and transmitter time anomalies can also cause this, as well as interference from nearby equipment. A drive with file corruption can also cause something like this.

Not sure what the power draw is for that passport hard drive, but if its on the high side you will have more issues than with lower power models. I use both a Hitachi 1TB Turo portable and a 128GB SSD without issue. Both are USB3.

I don't have a clue why it disconnects, it will just disconnect sometimes. It seems to happen more if the device has been on for awhile, but it has also happened with scheduled recordings which turn the device on and off automatically. It will turn on, record some of the recording (23min of 30 for example) and then the HD will disconnect and the device will stay on until I wake up or come back to find it on and I turn it off. It has happened on channels that have no dropout issues as far as I've experienced. The second or third recording after I bought the device and formatted the drive failed, so there should be no file corruption. The only nearby equipment is the TV, a Roku on top of the TV, and the DVD/VCR and S-VHS VCR decks below it. I'm not sure of the power draw.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #1283 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

No I was just questioning whether the drive actually disconnects or if you have a signal issue that the PVR didn't like. Do you get the drive disconnected notice as you are watching? Does it happen across all channels you are trying to record or just one or two? i.e. does it stop recording while tuned to a certain channel, or all of them.

I've seen the PVR stop recording because of a station glitch that had an otherwise strong signal. Seems that the PVR has little tolerance to misbehaving stations. If you were watching you would not have noticed the glitch. It was only evident when analyzing the video recording during which it stopped. I couldn't tell exactly what threw the PVR off, perhaps the timing signal.

I've attached an old video recorder to the PVR as a backup as the PVR tuner seems to continue to operate after one of these glitches, but the recording function stops until the PVR is reset.

But it could just as well be other things. Just saying that the PVR stop recording doesn't necessarily meant a drive issue.

post #1284 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Wondering how the loop-through function works for others. It seems to work fine for me with no signal loss to the TV except for one channel - channel 2 in my area. This channel comes through at 100% to the unit but barely so as pass-through to the TV. All other channels are strong and just fine.

The alternative is to use a coax splitter, but loop-through provides a convenient connection.
post #1285 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 10:01 AM

Does anyone have lip sync issues? Sound on live TV is slightly off on my new unit. I go through a receiver and sound syncs perfectly on my other devices.

Also, is it still true you need to use coax audio to get 5.1 on recordings or will HDMI work?
post #1286 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Liked: 41
Quote:

Wondering how the loop-through function works for others. It seems to work fine for me with no signal loss to the TV except for one channel - channel 2 in my area. This channel comes through at 100% to the unit but barely so as pass-through to the TV. All other channels are strong and just fine.

The alternative is to use a coax splitter, but loop-through provides a convenient connection.

My loop-through is very poor on both of my units:

On the newer one the signal is significantly weaker if the unit is powered on than if it's powered off.

On a weaker station this means the show will break up and be unrecordable. If I happen to notice I will turn the unit off and watch the show live with my TV's tuner and it will be fine. I haven't noticed a difference in channels, per se, other than that strong channels will still be recordable using the reduced pass-through signal.

On the older unit I have the opposite problem - the signal does not pass through at all unless the box is turned on! That means I'm stuck with getting the reduced signal or nothing at all!

Both units are very flaky in this and many other ways. I would not recommend either one but I realize there's not much else on the market right now for cord-cutters looking for a subscription-free PVR.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #1287 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STVA1 View Post

Does anyone have lip sync issues? Sound on live TV is slightly off on my new unit. I go through a receiver and sound syncs perfectly on my other devices.

Also, is it still true you need to use coax audio to get 5.1 on recordings or will HDMI work?

Yes, I've been noticing a lip sync issue with my recordings recently. But what is odd is that it hasn't been a problem for several months and I've just noticed it in the past week.

I don't know what's different. I can't think of anything I've changed. I don't use a receiver - the signal goes directly from my USB and PVR though HDMI to my TV.

post #1288 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

My loop-through is very poor on both of my units:

On the newer one the signal is significantly weaker if the unit is powered on than if it's powered off.
On a weaker station this means the show will break up and be unrecordable. If I happen to notice I will turn the unit off and watch the show live with my TV's tuner and it will be fine. I haven't noticed a difference in channels, per se, other than that strong channels will still be recordable using the reduced pass-through signal.

On the older unit I have the opposite problem - the signal does not pass through at all unless the box is turned on! That means I'm stuck with getting the reduced signal or nothing at all!

Both units are very flaky in this and many other ways. I would not recommend either one but I realize there's not much else on the market right now for cord-cutters looking for a subscription-free PVR.

Thanks for the observations. I wonder what unit predated the HW-150PVR? To have to turn on the older unit to get pass-through must have been pretty awful and a bad design by the company. I'm guessing your newer unit is allocating more signal to it's tuner when powered on than powered off. Mine seems to behave in the opposite... with the unit turned on the pass-through of the problem channel to the TV is 100%. But in all other cases whether the unit is on or off the pass-through is fine. All very weird.
post #1289 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the observations. I wonder what unit predated the HW-150PVR?

Both of my units are HW-150's actually - but they must run different Firmware versions as stipulated by the company. So essentially they are 2 distinctly different machines with the same name!

The company's naming conventions are a nightmare unto themselves -  this is well documented here in the forums if you'd really care to get into it.

Yet another example of their helter-skelter approach to the business.

post #1290 of 1403 Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:

To have to turn on the older unit to get pass-through must have been pretty awful and a bad design by the company.

Yes, I was surprised by that too. I actually wrote the company about it pointing out that they seemed to have completely missed the whole idea of pass-through! (which they call loop-through, btw)

But I had purchased the unit by mail order and for all it was worth it seemed easier to keep it and buy a, hopefully newer, better one. The old one has now been relegated to the basement recroom where it occasionally serves to tune local children's programs using rabbit ears onto an old tube TV. It's fine for that purpose. That's the whole thing with these boxes - don't expect too much from them and you'll save yourself a lot of disappointment.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page