7Likes

post #1291 of 1525 Old 05-03-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

Yes, I was surprised by that too. I actually wrote the company about it pointing out that they seemed to have completely missed the whole idea of pass-through! (which they call loop-through, btw)

But I had purchased the unit by mail order and for all it was worth it seemed easier to keep it and buy a, hopefully newer, better one. The old one has now been relegated to the basement recroom where it occasionally serves to tune local children's programs using rabbit ears onto an old tube TV. It's fine for that purpose. That's the whole thing with these boxes - don't expect too much from them and you'll save yourself a lot of disappointment.

Good info., thanks. If the older unit with these issues is actually the same model as current (HW-150PVR), couldn't you just upgrade their firmware that the company provides? They offer this capability to correct software and firmware issues for these units. The latest firmware might correct the loop-through issue (and others) that your original unit had.

Sorry, just now understood that the company doesn't allow the latest firmware update for your older unit as it's really a different model but under the same model name. That's very weird and calls into question this company's competence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
For those having problems with signal check your UHF Transformer that came with your antenna that might me the culprit. You can buy one for 4 bucks and always good to have a few extras.

post #1293 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF8655 View Post

Wondering how the loop-through function works for others. It seems to work fine for me with no signal loss to the TV except for one channel - channel 2 in my area. This channel comes through at 100% to the unit but barely so as pass-through to the TV. All other channels are strong and just fine.

The alternative is to use a coax splitter, but loop-through provides a convenient connection.
My observations on loop-through are similar:
  1. Older units (that came with V3 or V10 firmware) must be turned on for loop-through to work, as Laridae said. Loop-through doesn't work in standby. Newer units (FW V14) will pass RF through whether on or in standby, as long as they're plugged in and the power switch is on.
  2. For me, the looped-through signal is always strong, but the HW does seem to add a lot of noise to it, resulting in noticeably lower signal readings on the "downstream" tuner than I get when leaving the HW out of the circuit. Noise can get worse when the HW is on, especially when recording. This means weak stations may not be receivable "downstream" at all. It seems the HW doesn't isolate the RF section of the circuit from the digital section sufficiently well. I suspect a good RF engineer could improve the HW with some strategically-placed capacitors and shielding, but I don't know if such improvements could be retrofitted to existing boxes easily.

So, if all your signals are strong, you can probably use loop-through OK. But since I have some weak signals, I use a "tap" (a splitter that splits the signal unevenly). I connect the "weak" output (I use a -6 dB tap) to the HW and the "strong" (generally only -1 dB) output to the "downstream" tuner. This doesn't affect the HW much since its tuner usually can't get the weakest stations anyway; in fact, it can actually help if some strong signals are overloading the HW's tuner. But it lets the "downstream" tuner receive pretty much everything, and even works on the older HW that doesn't loop RF through when in standby.
post #1294 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
alright so the drive I had in mind turned out to be failing lol so I pulled a 750gb out of my Patriot Box that I havent touched in a couple years and put that to good use and it works great, now I just have to figure out a clean way to arrange everything... why oh why did they put the USB port at the front. >_< Has anyone come across a decent flat ribbon micro USB 3.0 cable that I can run under the player to the back of it to the ext hdd?

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1295 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I like the front USB port.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1296 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Well I can see it being handy for those who want to show family photos or music but honestly has anyone ever used this feature at all with this device? and I dont mean once or twice and then never again lol on like a regular enough basis to make it valid.

post #1297 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

I use it twice a day, I disconnect the HD and edit the recordings on my Mac and load into iTunes for play by my AppleTV.... reconnecting the drive after offloading the video. Many here do something similar or view the video on another device. Most here would hate to have only a rear facing USB port but would figure out something (think extender cable). Just about every DVR type device I've seen has the USB port in the front. Its rare to see one in the rear... because most folks don't want them there. smile.gif Those that keep external drives connected full time to a DVR typically use an eSATA port in the rear.... something this little PVR doesn't provide and I miss... but that just me.

There are some flat USB cables about like this one which perhaps will work for you. Might need a couple standoff feet to raise the PVR. I use a right angle cable so the drive sits off to the side.

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Vivid-Tangle-Smartphones-Devices/dp/B00E0M55PO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399337375&sr=1-6&keywords=flat+usb+cable

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1298 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

I use it twice a day, I disconnect the HD and edit the recordings on my Mac and load into iTunes for play by my AppleTV.... reconnecting the drive after offloading the video. Many here do something similar or view the video on another device. Most here would hate to have only a rear facing USB port but would figure out something (think extender cable). Just about every DVR type device I've seen has the USB port in the front. Its rare to see one in the rear... because most folks don't want them there. smile.gif Those that keep external drives connected full time to a DVR typically use an eSATA port in the rear.... something this little PVR doesn't provide and I miss... but that just me.

There are some flat USB cables about like this one which perhaps will work for you. Might need a couple standoff feet to raise the PVR. I use a right angle cable so the drive sits off to the side.

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Vivid-Tangle-Smartphones-Devices/dp/B00E0M55PO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399337375&sr=1-6&keywords=flat+usb+cable

yeah but USB cables are cheap so why not just get another one, I would much rather have USB port in the back to keep things clean and just have a second cable on my system to plug the drive into.

post #1299 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Anyone using this with the Xbox one? Mine seems to lose signal alot? When I start the TV app. It says signal lost. Usually complete power down fixes the issue until I restart my Xbox again. Didn't have that issue until the latest updates. Let me know if anyone has some advice.
post #1300 of 1525 Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

yeah but USB cables are cheap so why not just get another one, I would much rather have USB port in the back to keep things clean and just have a second cable on my system to plug the drive into.

You may be unique.... but both a front and rear port would be useful.
Daniel Chaves likes this.

post #1301 of 1525 Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16

My vife has informed me that the last two 1hr programs scheduled for recording, both stopped recording after 28 minutes. The 1/2hr shows have no problems. I have looked at everything, and it seems fine, however, I may have missed something.

When the EPG shows an 1hr long show, and I select it to record, it should record all of it, correct? Do I also need to select the program after the intended show, for it to record all of the previous show?

Does the time-shift function affect this?

Does anyone have a suggestions on where to look, I must have missed a setting or something.

Thanx, for any help.

post #1302 of 1525 Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Was this a one time thing? I routinely record one hour shows, sometimes one right after another on the same channel... as well as 30 minute and 2 hour shows. Some was programmed manually, others via the EPG. Hasn't been an issue except for the occasional (monthly) glitch. But, in that case, mine stops recording altogether.

post #1303 of 1525 Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I would've put the USB port on the side. Or, better: one in front and one in back!

Bori: can you post a pic of the "signal lost" message? I'm wondering which signal is being lost.
post #1304 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Liked: 11
Can someone help me understand if this box is ideal to watch QAM channels? I have an old TV that does not have a QAM tuner, and I have optimum/cablevision as a service provider. I want to get rid of the cable box and was hoping to use the HW-150PVR instead to watch whatever channels it picks up.

Upon hooking it up, the only option in the firmware is antenna search, or DTV, but not cable option. I called HomeWorx and the rep said that I could try to reload the firmware, but i am already running V14.

Any tips on how to get this to pull QAM channels from my cable provider would be helpful.
post #1305 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by telltale5 View Post

Can someone help me understand if this box is ideal to watch QAM channels? I have an old TV that does not have a QAM tuner, and I have optimum/cablevision as a service provider. I want to get rid of the cable box and was hoping to use the HW-150PVR instead to watch whatever channels it picks up.

Upon hooking it up, the only option in the firmware is antenna search, or DTV, but not cable option. I called HomeWorx and the rep said that I could try to reload the firmware, but i am already running V14.

Any tips on how to get this to pull QAM channels from my cable provider would be helpful.

Email them - don't call - and ask for the QAM fw. And to answer your question - no it is not ideal for that purpose at all.
telltale5 likes this.
post #1306 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Email them - don't call - and ask for the QAM fw. And to answer your question - no it is not ideal for that purpose at all.
I will email then, thank you. So should I basically look for something else for this purpose? The rep I spoke to sounded knowledgeable and mentioned that this box may not be able to decode scrambled channels so the viewing channels may be limited. Is there another QAM tuner available for the purpose I am looking for to watch channels through the cable line?
post #1307 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will email then, thank you. So should I basically look for something else for this purpose? The rep I spoke to sounded knowledgeable and mentioned that this box may not be able to decode scrambled channels so the viewing channels may be limited. Is there another QAM tuner available for the purpose I am looking for to watch channels through the cable line?

You definitely will not be able to receive any scrambled channels with the Homeworx. At best you will be able to receive unencrypted clear QAM (some people can't even get those) if your provider has any clear QAM channels.

You would need something like an HTPC or Tivo or other box with a cable card to get all your channels. These are more expensive which is why people try the Homeworx type boxes.
post #1308 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:

You definitely will not be able to receive any scrambled channels with the Homeworx. At best you will be able to receive unencrypted clear QAM (some people can't even get those) if your provider has any clear QAM channels.

You would need something like an HTPC or Tivo or other box with a cable card to get all your channels. These are more expensive which is why people try the Homeworx type boxes.
Thanks for the knowledge. So I guess it is harder than I thought. Would a box like this Homeworx with an HD antenna be a better option for local channels? Or is there a used box I can buy on eBay that will do what i'm looking for that isn't too expensive?
post #1309 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the knowledge. So I guess it is harder than I thought. Would a box like this Homeworx with an HD antenna be a better option for local channels? Or is there a used box I can buy on eBay that will do what i'm looking for that isn't too expensive?

For local channels, a good antenna with the homeworx will give you better picture quality than cable unless you live somewhere out of range. So if that is what you mostly want to watch I would definitely recommend going OTA over cable. You could also then be able to use the recording functions of the homeworx if you want. If you live somewhere that you cannot get reception for all your local channels then try a cable solution. It's not going to hurt either way for you to load the QAM firmware on your box once you get the software and see what you can get. You may get nothing or you may get some basic channels, which may be all you are looking for. With the QAM firmware, you can still scan for OTA with an antenna attached - you don't have to switch firmware again.
telltale5 likes this.
post #1310 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:

For local channels, a good antenna with the homeworx will give you better picture quality than cable unless you live somewhere out of range. So if that is what you mostly want to watch I would definitely recommend going OTA over cable. You could also then be able to use the recording functions of the homeworx if you want. If you live somewhere that you cannot get reception for all your local channels then try a cable solution. It's not going to hurt either way for you to load the QAM firmware on your box once you get the software and see what you can get. You may get nothing or you may get some basic channels, which may be all you are looking for. With the QAM firmware, you can still scan for OTA with an antenna attached - you don't have to switch firmware again.
You have been a great help connecting all the dots for me. I have an HD antenna at my house and it was able to pull about 40 channels, all very crisp. Only problem is that i have Low-E glass and it wasn't able to penetrate so the antenna would need to be outside. I am setting this HomeWorx up for a relative who may not be able to run an antenna outside based on the location of the tv.

With the HomeWorx, if I have firmware V14, should I upgrade it to something else to give it the option to scan cable since I only have the antenna option now? Any tips on which firmware to load will be helpful. Thanks again.
post #1311 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You have been a great help connecting all the dots for me. I have an HD antenna at my house and it was able to pull about 40 channels, all very crisp. Only problem is that i have Low-E glass and it wasn't able to penetrate so the antenna would need to be outside. I am setting this HomeWorx up for a relative who may not be able to run an antenna outside based on the location of the tv.

With the HomeWorx, if I have firmware V14, should I upgrade it to something else to give it the option to scan cable since I only have the antenna option now? Any tips on which firmware to load will be helpful. Thanks again.

Like I mentioned, there is specific QAM firmware that you will need to get from Mediasonic. Go to the first post in this thread to find a link to their forum and contact them there. Tell them you have v14 and want the QAM version.
post #1312 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Like I mentioned, there is specific QAM firmware that you will need to get from Mediasonic. Go to the first post in this thread to find a link to their forum and contact them there. Tell them you have v14 and want the QAM version.
I figured the firmware would be floating around somewhere in their forums but apparently its been removed since they semi-support it. I emailed them and within a few minutes they sent the proper QAM supporting firmware. After a few minutes of scanning, it said it found 400+ channels, but when I go watch many of them are just black screen and say searching. There are blocks of channels that do work though, so that's pretty cool. I'm going to try a small antenna and if it seems to pick up channels i'll probably leave that hooked up instead since the QAM channels are all over the place and who knows what is what.

Thanks again for the help.
post #1313 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the Homeworx includes encrypted channels when you scan, but of course it can't play them, so you end up with all those black screens. You just have to delete all the encrypted ones by hand.

If you know which channels are not encrypted (aka "clear"), it's often easier to wipe out everything (disconnect the cable and do a scan) then add the clear QAM channels one at a time. But it can be hard to find the clear QAM channels provided by your cable company.

Increasingly, many cable companies are encrypting all their channels, rendering boxes like the Homeworx useless on their systems. Luckily, it sounds like your cable company still has some clear QAM channels.

Still, if you can get the channels you want with an antenna, you'll probably be happier. Over the air, you'll have correct channel numbers, electronic program guides on most stations, and a reasonably accurate clock for timed recordings. Usually, you won't have any of those with cable.
telltale5 likes this.
post #1314 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Yes, the Homeworx includes encrypted channels when you scan, but of course it can't play them, so you end up with all those black screens. You just have to delete all the encrypted ones by hand.

If you know which channels are not encrypted (aka "clear"), it's often easier to wipe out everything (disconnect the cable and do a scan) then add the clear QAM channels one at a time. But it can be hard to find the clear QAM channels provided by your cable company.

Increasingly, many cable companies are encrypting all their channels, rendering boxes like the Homeworx useless on their systems. Luckily, it sounds like your cable company still has some clear QAM channels.

Still, if you can get the channels you want with an antenna, you'll probably be happier. Over the air, you'll have correct channel numbers, electronic program guides on most stations, and a reasonably accurate clock for timed recordings. Usually, you won't have any of those with cable.
Thanks again for the great knowledge. I figured I'd have to do a manual add or deletion, but it will definitely be a major task. Knowing my cable company (Optimum/Cablevision) they will have all QAM scrambled sooner than later as they squeeze every penny they can out of people.

I'm going to try the HD antenna I have at my home at my relatives. Hoping it will not have the same Low-E glass/window issue I have at my home.

I could not believe the picture quality I received on my TV with an HD antenna, definitely better than the cable providers box. Still hard to understand how, but its great to get those free channels. I almost had my wife agreed to cancel cable when I got the antenna and a Roku....but I never made the full jump.

I'll report back if the HD antenna does the trick with this box or not.
post #1315 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Deleted
post #1316 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Finished watching the Hobbit movie. Not bad on the bass department. Nothing to write home about but movie was so much better than the first one. The surround sound was excellent.

well thats random lol....

post #1317 of 1525 Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

My bad posted in the wrong thread. Lol
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #1318 of 1525 Old 05-08-2014, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

Was this a one time thing? I routinely record one hour shows, sometimes one right after another on the same channel... as well as 30 minute and 2 hour shows. Some was programmed manually, others via the EPG. Hasn't been an issue except for the occasional (monthly) glitch. But, in that case, mine stops recording altogether.

I am still not sure what is up with my re-purposed 128gb HD. However, considering it came from a Laptop that died, there may be a physical problem with it.

I put in a 4gb USB stick, formatted it for FAT32, and recorded a 1/2 hr TV show, a 2hr movie, and part of another TV show, b4 it met capacity.

So as a temporary fix, I will use the USB stick and fool around with the HD at a later time.

post #1319 of 1525 Old 05-08-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm going to try the HD antenna I have at my home at my relatives. Hoping it will not have the same Low-E glass/window issue I have at my home.

I could not believe the picture quality I received on my TV with an HD antenna, definitely better than the cable providers box. Still hard to understand how, but its great to get those free channels. I almost had my wife agreed to cancel cable when I got the antenna and a Roku....but I never made the full jump.

I'll report back if the HD antenna does the trick with this box or not.
This is merely speculation, but it's possible some anti-glare window films could block radio/TV signals (if the films are electrically conductive). I know that's a problem with aluminum (but not fiberglass) window screens.

In the "olden days" (1990?) local channels were often better quality via cable than OTA, which is one reason many folks subscribed to begin with. That's because cable eliminated many of the problems with analog OTA signals (ghosts, Never The Same Color, etc.). But with digital TV, that's all turned around. Cable companies often compress the OTA signals in order to cram more channels onto the wire, so OTA signals often give better quality - sometimes a lot better.

BTW, I've been told FiOS is an exception - that they convert the OTA signals they carry from 8VSB to QAM but don't touch it otherwise, so you get identical picture quality, subchannels, EPGs, etc. to what you'd get OTA. But FiOS is available to a lot fewer folks than traditional cable.
post #1320 of 1525 Old 05-08-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Interesting, I always wondered how they handled OTA.

Yep, that includes me. My home is wired for FIOS and they've been begging me for years to subscribe. Now that I have this handy little DVR, I'm even less interested. Besides, VZW takes more than their fair share of my money (but it's the only service that works when I go trekking through the north country).
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page