4Likes

post #1381 of 1387 Old 07-21-2014, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz0 View Post
Also I would to know if you recommend Gold played cable wires or in this case it is recommended but the differences are minor if not no comparison. Because I changed the hdmi cable to gold plated and the audio is now sustained when powered off and back on ! As far as I know . Btw only has been tested once!
With the new hdmi gold plated I now realize the response time for changing channels is faster !! How will my cable wires affect the mediasonic those cable wires that come from the wall to the unit !! Can I use gold plate from the wall and then silver to the tv?? Will it have great affect ? Or they all need to be gold from the wall and to the tv In order to function accurately entirely or I can have one silver? Will there be a delay?

Last edited by loz0; 07-21-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1387 Old 07-21-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, it isn't recommended, which is why MediaSonic removed it. You can't set the clock or see channel names on most cable systems, as they don't provide PSIP. This makes it impossible to perform timed recordings and renders the Homeworx useless except as a tuner (or if you want to record something immediately). MediaSonic didn't want to deal with the customer service complaints that this would generate, so they removed QAM support from the most recent firmware revisions.
To my understanding it Is not Recommended !! Is it plausible to attain it? So that I can have single solid channel numbers instead of ie: 77-77 but perfected 77
post #1383 of 1387 Old 07-21-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Also I would to know if you recommend Gold played cable wires or in this case it is recommended but the differences are minor if not no comparison. Because I changed the hdmi cable to gold plated and the audio is now sustained when powered off and back on ! As far as I know . Btw only has been tested once!
Any change in performance you've observed as a result of swapping the HDMI cable is either unrelated (if not reproducible), or likely just an indication that the original HDMI cable is faulty. Gold plating (when properly applied) is simply used to enhance the oxidation resistance of a connection in an effort to improve long-term reliability.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1384 of 1387 Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
To my understanding it Is not Recommended !! Is it plausible to attain it? So that I can have single solid channel numbers instead of ie: 77-77 but perfected 77
If you contact Mediasonic directly, and tell them the firmware version of your HW box, they will send you a QAM-enabled version. Go to the Mediasonic forum at http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewforum.php?f=44 for contact info.

Please note:
  1. The channel numbers will not be the same as your cable box channel numbers. You'll have to figure out which channels are which by tuning to each one and watching.
  2. Most cable systems encrypt most of their QAM channels. The HW will "find" these but they won't play (you'll just get a blank screen when you tune to them). And more and more cable systems are encrypting all their channels; if yours does, the QAM firmware won't help you at all. In particular, if you're on Comcast you might as well forget it right now.
  3. In all probability, the program guide will not work on any channel.
  4. In all probability, your HW will not be set to the correct time of day, so timed recordings won't be feasible.

There are some limited exceptions to the above (e.g., Verizon FiOS); but the above limitations are why the QAM firmware isn't recommended or officially supported.
laridae likes this.
post #1385 of 1387 Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Using gold in HDMI connectors makes no difference, except in the cost of the cables. One benefit of cables that transmit digital signals is that a $5 cable and a $50 cable will perform the same, so you might as well get the cheapest one you can find.
post #1386 of 1387 Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
With the new hdmi gold plated I now realize the response time for changing channels is faster !! How will my cable wires affect the mediasonic those cable wires that come from the wall to the unit !! Can I use gold plate from the wall and then silver to the tv?? Will it have great affect ? Or they all need to be gold from the wall and to the tv In order to function accurately entirely or I can have one silver? Will there be a delay?
Some PVRs seem to be susceptible to EM noise interference (especially when using HDMI) and better shielded and grounded cables with larger wire sizes minimize the interference picked up. So it may not be the "gold" that is giving you what looks like better performance, but perhaps a better built cable.

Noise reduction is like a black art, sometimes hard to figure out.

For other HDMI devices it doesn't seem to mater as much.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #1387 of 1387 Old 07-22-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Using gold in HDMI connectors makes no difference, except in the cost of the cables. One benefit of cables that transmit digital signals is that a $5 cable and a $50 cable will perform the same, so you might as well get the cheapest one you can find.
Thats not true at all and you know that it has been proven scientifically that the HDMI cable built with unubtanium connectors will result in instantaneous channel change response time and greatly improved picture. Of course this comes at a premium price. Why do you think the botique cable manufacturers exist and remain in business?
JHBrandt likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page