Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1411 of 1561 Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have an old HW-150 but it's at my in-laws' house at the moment. I may give this a try the next time my wife & I visit, possibly next month.

Just in case anyone else wants to try this, iView does sell replacement remotes: http://www.iviewus.com/default/access/remote.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1561 Old 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The only one worth anything is the last $10 one, the others are the very poor first remotes, not sure who would ever purchase those
post #1413 of 1561 Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a learning remote too! (Learns one other device.) Wonder why they sell the "good" one for less than the others?
post #1414 of 1561 Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
The only one worth anything is the last $10 one, the others are the very poor first remotes, not sure who would ever purchase those
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
It's a learning remote too! (Learns one other device.) Wonder why they sell the "good" one for less than the others?
The first 3 are for a totally different product - a DVD player. Btw, you will still encounter bugs with midnight recordings on iview software depending on which order you program your recordings. Like the previous poster, you will at times still encounter the false event conflict and need to delete recordings and program them in a different order to get them to not conflict.

Just thought I'd add that Mediasonic was the first to fix the midnight bug. They "fixed" it for the Homeworx way back in version 10 soon after the 150 was released. IView then "fixed" it in version 3 last August. Fixed is in quotes because of the remaining bug I mentioned above.

Last edited by jprc; 07-31-2014 at 05:31 PM.
post #1415 of 1561 Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu58 View Post
Emailed
Another timer issue found today is that two schedules I set and saved suddenly lost the channels I entered. They went from 10.1 and 36.2 to a seven-digit string of random numbers.

Quote:

Hate to admit it but my Warner Cable box's channel timer is ideal and has few times - if ever, malfunctioned. Especially nice is its frequency (repeat) setting: date, day, M-F or Sat-Sun.
Just curious, are you using antenna or cable?
post #1416 of 1561 Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Both. Because the HD signal on antenna is superior to cable, I prefer to record from that source when the program is also offered OTA.

Realized that with a PVR and a split antenna signal, it's possible to record two shows and watch a third if all three are on at the same time and if two of the shows are OTA. The gadgets enable a lot of options for not a lot of money with no monthly fees. Love the value side of them.
post #1417 of 1561 Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Btw, you will still encounter bugs with midnight recordings on iview software depending on which order you program your recordings. Like the previous poster, you will at times still encounter the false event conflict and need to delete recordings and program them in a different order to get them to not conflict.

Just thought I'd add that Mediasonic was the first to fix the midnight bug. They "fixed" it for the Homeworx way back in version 10 soon after the 150 was released. IView then "fixed" it in version 3 last August. Fixed is in quotes because of the remaining bug I mentioned above.
OK, so there are multiple "midnight" bugs. One is the false scheduling conflict - not fixed. Another is the bug fixed with HW firmware V10 and iView firmware V3; not sure what that bug was since I upgraded my first HW to V10 as soon as I got it, so I never encountered that one. Finally, there's the bug afterlife2 described: recordings spanning midnight don't stop at the scheduled time. Is that the "midnight bug" fixed by the latest iView firmware? Or is iView just talking about the original midnight bug fixed back on V3?

BTW there may be a workaround for afterlife2's bug. That would be to take advantage of another bug: that the HW's "sleep" function will interrupt a recording by shutting the HW down after 1-12 hours if no remote keys are pressed. Simply set the sleep function to force the HW to shut down after 2:05 AM.
post #1418 of 1561 Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, so there are multiple "midnight" bugs. One is the false scheduling conflict - not fixed. Another is the bug fixed with HW firmware V10 and iView firmware V3; not sure what that bug was since I upgraded my first HW to V10 as soon as I got it, so I never encountered that one. Finally, there's the bug afterlife2 described: recordings spanning midnight don't stop at the scheduled time. Is that the "midnight bug" fixed by the latest iView firmware? Or is iView just talking about the original midnight bug fixed back on V3?

BTW there may be a workaround for afterlife2's bug. That would be to take advantage of another bug: that the HW's "sleep" function will interrupt a recording by shutting the HW down after 1-12 hours if no remote keys are pressed. Simply set the sleep function to force the HW to shut down after 2:05 AM.

There is no new fix in the iview software. iView never updates their firmware page. The supposed fixes/changes listed there are almost a year old. The buggy behavior that still exists in v10 Homeworx and all versions of iview is the same as Klaatu described happening in the latest hardware/software version of the Homeworx box - that schedules will still sometimes report (falsely) that events conflict when one of the programs is spanning midnight. These need to be deleted and reprogrammed in a different order to avoid the conflict.

I'm not sure which hardware and software version afterlife has. That is the bug that was fixed in v10 homeworx and v3 iview. I don't know if a later homeworx hardware/software combo regressed that or if it's just another random bug. It could actually be related to the bug I just described but just without an actual other program being reported as a conflict. He could try (if he's up for it) deleting all his programs and scheduling them in a different order, but no guarantee it will work. If he has a lot of schedules, he may not want to. If someone was going to do that, I would suggest they might as well do a factory reset to start with a clean slate as well as long as they don't mind rescanning their channels. Someone with cable who manually scanned all their channels may not be interested in that of course.

Anyway, the same bug was fixed in both homeworx and iview. No new fix concerning this issue has been implemented on the iview. Bugs related to midnight recording still exist on both homeworx and iview but most people have managed to get them to work on both boxes by deleting and rescheduling recordings. If someone has an original homeworx box with original shipping software (pre v10) they will need to upgrade to v10. Same with the original iview box and software - upgrade to anything after v3.

Btw, iView has done the same thing that Homeworx did now with creating new hardware versions that cannot run the same software but without differentiating the model number. So, unless someone knows they have a compatible hardware/software combo, I'd be careful about running one manufacturer's FW on another's box anymore unless you have a spare one. We do know of course that the original models of each were compatible software-wise and I ran homeworx v10 on my iview for many months before iview integrated any of the recording fixes that homeworx had.
post #1419 of 1561 Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I dunno, I record a one hour show over midnight just about every day and don't seem to run into these issues. Don't recall how I managed to set the recording as its been awhile, perhaps through the EPG.

The unit will occasionally run on recording after being annoyed by transmitter events or signal quality issues, however. I stopped recording the local COSI outlet because something the transmitter was doing upset the PVR. I pretty much stopped recording shows on channels that may have signal quality or transmitter issues and the PVR been solid. My other brands of OTA recorders simply stop recording when faced with similar issues.

These are PVRs purchased Jan and March this year and have the latest firmware and remote.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-01-2014 at 08:10 AM.
post #1420 of 1561 Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
JP thanks for responding. I have version 14 On mine. I tried recording after midnight a couple ways and still conflict. Where would I get v. 10 to resolve this issue?

post #1421 of 1561 Old 08-01-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
That would be great JH if someone can let us know. Tired of it going on to 7AM when it should stop at 2:05 AM.
Quote:
JP thanks for responding. I have version 14 On mine. I tried recording after midnight a couple ways and still conflict. Where would I get v. 10 to resolve this issue?
After reading jprc's nice detailed response, I now understand there are two known midnight bugs. The first bug (run-on recordings) was apparently fixed in HW V10 et seq. (and iView V3 et seq.) so the fix should be in HW V14 as well (unless the developer screwed up and re-introduced it in V14; my newer HW has V14 so I may give this a try and see). This is also the bug you could work around (sort of) using the HW's sleep setting.

The second bug (false conflict) has never been fixed in any HW or iView firmware release, so we just have to live with it.

I wouldn't recommend putting V10 on a box that came with V14. There's some new hardware in the V14 boxes that older firmware versions aren't aware of, so doing so could disable some of the HW's video outputs. That could make it pretty tricky to switch back to V14, even if you have a copy.
post #1422 of 1561 Old 08-01-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
iView has done the same thing that Homeworx did now with creating new hardware versions that cannot run the same software but without differentiating the model number. So, unless someone knows they have a compatible hardware/software combo, I'd be careful about running one manufacturer's FW on another's box anymore unless you have a spare one. We do know of course that the original models of each were compatible software-wise and I ran homeworx v10 on my iview for many months before iview integrated any of the recording fixes that homeworx had.
I assume this is what you're referring to? From iView's firmware download page:
Quote:
READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING: Do NOT download this firmware if your 3500STBII Converter Box has a CH 3/4 switch behind it. You own a converter box that was released in a new batch that has a different chip piece that is not compatible with the box [sic; I think they meant "firmware" though]. If you do install this firmware your box will automatically shut completely off and it will not be able to turn on. Please be patient, a new firmware is being currently tested that will be compatible with your box soon.
So now there's a new iView box, with a ch 3/4 switch for the RF modulator (instead of software-controlled like the HWs and old iVews); and it requires different firmware. The firmware on iView's download page is for the older iViews (w/o the ch 3/4 switch; probably also works on older HWs that came with V3 or V10).

Anyhow, the latest iView firmware is dated March of this year; pretty recent. Since the list of fixes on their Web page is out-of-date, I wonder what they did change? Guess I need to go check the iView thread....
post #1423 of 1561 Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I assume this is what you're referring to? From iView's firmware download page:
So now there's a new iView box, with a ch 3/4 switch for the RF modulator (instead of software-controlled like the HWs and old iVews); and it requires different firmware. The firmware on iView's download page is for the older iViews (w/o the ch 3/4 switch; probably also works on older HWs that came with V3 or V10).

Anyhow, the latest iView firmware is dated March of this year; pretty recent. Since the list of fixes on their Web page is out-of-date, I wonder what they did change? Guess I need to go check the iView thread....
Yep, a bunch of people bricked their new iViews before they put up that message and many people still are who never went to that page but are getting firmware elsewhere, including here without reading first.

The FW you are looking at is not from March. That is just the date they finally put it on their website. It has no relation to the FW date and they refuse to change that. It's from last year.

The latest FW for the original 3500 and the first 3500STBII is v13. It added only one thing. You can now adjust the transparency of the menu/info screens in a few ways so that you can see the background picture behind it. The previous version, 12, fixed something they broke in v9, not being able to scan in physical QAM channels.

V9 was for a new hardware version II, the first version II, not the new version II with the RF switch. There are some minor hardware differences between the v1 and original vII hardware versions that do not brick the box if older software is loaded in but the software will not work properly on it. You can fortunately still access the software upgrade to get working software back on in those boxes unlike with the very latest box which cannot be recovered after loaded with FW from the older hardware versions.

Last edited by jprc; 08-01-2014 at 01:32 PM.
post #1424 of 1561 Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes; I did some reading over at the iView thread. Looks like the firmware marked version 10/13 is actually V13 and was released last Dec., and aside from some QAM changes, the only change from (iView) V9 was the ability to adjust the menu transparency.

And I learned there are actually three versions of the iView box, but confusingly versions 2 and 3 are both called the 3500STBII The software on the web site will work on versions 1 and 2 but not 3. Even worse, the firmware version numbers started over again (at V1, V2, etc.) with these new "version 3" boxes, fooling many into thinking the older firmware on the website was actually an update. iView was just asking for trouble with that silliness.

Mediasonic also restarted their firmware version numbers recently, which has me wondering if the newest HW-150s with V1 firmware also have that channel 3/4 switch in back? Edit: User satpro has figured out the firmware compatibility issue. It's not the channel 3/4 switch, although that's a convenient marker for the iView boxes; it's the demodulator chip. Version 1 & 2 iView boxes, as well as HW boxes through (I think) V14 firmware, used a Samsung demodulator chip. But Samsung discontinued it, forcing all these boxes to switch to an Mstar demodulator, with corresponding new firmware. Version 3 iView boxes and HW boxes with V1 firmware use the Mstar demodulator, and loading older firmware (iView or Homeworx) will brick them.

Still haven't figured out the major differences between iView box versions 1 and 2, although I think I read that the version 1 boxes power down the USB port in standby (like the HW does) but the version 2 boxes don't. Edit: apparently that is the only difference, other than the remote control that was shipped with the box.

Sorry folks, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with all this stuff about iView; I was just trying to figure out if there might be an advantage to loading iView firmware on a HW-150. So far, the only advantages I see are the ability to:
  1. Use the iView remote (presumably including the ability to page show descriptions in the EPG)
  2. Adjust the menu transparency

But no major bug fixes, so no good reason to load iView firmware unless you really like their remote

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-04-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Add more info
post #1425 of 1561 Old 08-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Just took delivery and installed an iView 3500STBII with the 3/4 switch. Its remote is superior to the HW-150's and might be worth the $10 and shipping as it's also programmable. Found though that the iView also suffers HW-150's false event conflict where user needs to delete recordings and program them in a different order to get them to not conflict. Called iView about this issue and in response, tech support emailed firmware updates: v1, v2 (native install), v2a and v3. Installing v2a and v3 didn't fix the problem.

Quote:
Sorry folks, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with all this stuff about iView; I was just trying to figure out if there might be an advantage to loading iView firmware on a HW-150. So far, the only advantages I see are the ability to:
  1. Use the iView remote (presumably including the ability to page show descriptions in the EPG)
  2. Adjust the menu transparency

But no major bug fixes, so no good reason to load iView firmware unless you really like their remote
Am going to keep only one of the boxes and prefer the HW as it has all settings and recordings. The iView's led panel is nice but really quite useless. The HW box has no 3/4 switch so am considering installing iView firmware (for boxes without the switch) mainly to enable use of an iView remote. Has anyone tried this and not bricked the HW?

Last edited by Klaatu58; 08-03-2014 at 04:04 AM.
post #1426 of 1561 Old 08-04-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

It's good to hear that iView has firmware updates for the new "version 3" boxes with the channel 3/4 switch. Maybe in a few months they'll get around to posting those updates on their web site

As for installing iView firmware on the Homeworx, many have done that (or the reverse) with varying degrees of success. But before you try it, read the "Edit" in my previous post. It's not actually the channel 3/4 switch that matters; it's a chip change inside the box. I believe that HW boxes that came with firmware versions between V3 and V14 all use the Samsung demodulator, so you could use firmware for the old "version 1 & 2" iViews without bricking the HW; and HW boxes with firmware version V1 use the Mstar demodulator, so you could use firmware for the new "version 3" iViews. But the only way to be sure is to open up the box (thus voiding any warranty) to look at the chip inside.

Even if it doesn't brick the HW, installing iView firmware may disable some of the HW's outputs (especially the analog audio outputs), depending on the precise hardware version. (This is also true for installing different versions of the HW firmware itself.) So make sure you have the original HW firmware from Mediasonic in case you need to switch back.

And as for getting any additional bugs fixed, your best bet is probably to just let iView and Mediasonic know about it and that you want it fixed, then hope that one or both request a fix from the developer. Unfortunately iView is probably the best bet since neither Mediasonic nor any of the other clone importers has released a firmware update in over a year.
Klaatu58 likes this.
post #1427 of 1561 Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
JH did the firmware fix the after midnight bug? Not sure I have the sleep function on my remote will check.

post #1428 of 1561 Old 08-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
JH did the firmware fix the after midnight bug? Not sure I have the sleep function on my remote will check.
Sleep timer is on the Time tab of the Menu.
post #1429 of 1561 Old 08-07-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
JH did the firmware fix the after midnight bug?
There is no firmware version that fixes the "false conflict" midnight bug (to the best of my knowledge).

The other midnight bug (run-on recordings) is fixed in all HW firmware versions except V3, and also in the current iView firmware (again to the best of my knowledge).

I have HW V14 and ran a test a couple of nights ago by setting up a recording from 23:58 to 02:05. It stopped at 2:05 AM as expected and did not run on.

AFAIK you're the only one experiencing run-on recordings with V14 firmware. Perhaps you should try resetting your HW to factory defaults and re-entering your timers to see if that fixes the issue.

I did go ahead and order an iView remote to play with, since it was only $10. In a few weeks I'll get my older HW back from my in-laws and try out the iView FW and remote with it to see if I like it better.

Edit: Haven't gotten the iView remote yet, but already one (tiny) disappointment: it appears iView removed the Page keys from their old remote (the one everybody hated). I was kind of looking forward to page keys; it's tedious scrolling through a long list one file at a time.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #1430 of 1561 Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
As for installing iView firmware on the Homeworx, many have done that (or the reverse) with varying degrees of success. HW boxes with firmware version V1 use the Mstar demodulator, so you could use firmware for the new "version 3" iViews. But the only way to be sure is to open up the box (thus voiding any warranty) to look at the chip inside.

Even if it doesn't brick the HW, installing iView firmware may disable some of the HW's outputs (especially the analog audio outputs), depending on the precise hardware version. (This is also true for installing different versions of the HW firmware itself.) So make sure you have the original HW firmware from Mediasonic in case you need to switch back.
Quote:
I did go ahead and order an iView remote to play with, since it was only $10. In a few weeks I'll get my older HW back from my in-laws and try out the iView FW and remote with it to see if I like it better.
Mediasonic kindly emailed HW V1 firmware file so now have both files (HW V1 and iView firmware V3). Interested in your results. If you'd like other iView firmware files (I have v1, v2, v2a and v3) to experiment with, let me know.
post #1431 of 1561 Old 08-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Just flashed iView firmware V3 onto HW V1 firmware box and iView remote works fine. Guess the demodulators matched. Now when turned on, the box shows "iView" rather than HomeWorx. Man, that was too easy. Didn't even have to reset to factory defaults after the flash or rescan channels. Only had to re-enter time zone and language settings; all others transferred including timer data.

Am using HDMI so can't comment on HW's outputs (especially the analog audio outputs) operating, though.

Also nice about the iView remote is that it uses AA rather than HW remote's AAA batteries.
post #1432 of 1561 Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Also nice about the iView remote is that it uses AA rather than HW remote's AAA batteries.
I agree! a pet peeve of mine is mfgs. using AAA batteries when they could have easily used AA batteries, that are the same price as AAAs only have double the capacity and possible life. IMO the only excuse for AAAs in a remote might be a particularly small remote, for say a portable DVD player or such, of course then it's fine to use AAAs, otherwise NOT! IMO.
Note the original iView remote used AAAs and was a disaster, the newer AA remote is much better and it's nice it's a limited function learning remote
post #1433 of 1561 Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW guys, I have a remote that takes a CR2032 (coin-type) battery! Manufacturers will do anything for thinness, it seems. (Also see the Channel Master DVR+.)

Nice to know the iView V3 firmware works OK on the HW boxes with V1 firmware. I thought it would (except maybe the audio outputs) but I don't have a V1 box to test it on.

I'm reasonably sure their V13 firmware will work on the older HW boxes that came with V3 or V10. I have one of those at my in-laws; I'll swap it out this weekend and bring it home to play with. I got my iView remote last Friday so I'm ready to try the iView firmware.

Klaatu58, one question: when you go into the System menu and display system information, does it claim your box is a model 3500STBII now? Seems like it would....
post #1434 of 1561 Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Klaatu58, one question: when you go into the System menu and display system information, does it claim your box is a model 3500STBII now? Seems like it would....
Model: ATSC-3500STBII
SW Version: 20140709 V3
HW Version: ATSC7816XD-02-Z00

Evidence confirms that PVR boxes branded differently but with the same demodulators differ only by the remotes.

Should add that after programming remote for TV, blue on/off button functions but not the blue volume rocker buttons. Called iView tech support but they only suggested to try again. Was going to respond that I didn't need to call them to find that out but decided otherwise. Support about parallels what the box cost.

Last edited by Klaatu58; 08-11-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: detail
post #1435 of 1561 Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Evidence confirms that PVR boxes branded differently but with the same demodulators differ only by the remotes.

Should add that after programming remote for TV, blue on/off button functions but not the blue volume rocker buttons. Called iView tech support but they only suggested to try again. Was going to respond that I didn't need to call them to find that out but decided otherwise. Support about parallels what the box cost.
You know you have to program the volume buttons individually right?
post #1436 of 1561 Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
You know you have to program the volume buttons individually right?
I didn't know that. Thanks! The remote control section of the 3500STBII manual isn't exactly clear about that or about those blue Option 1 and 2 buttons.

So I have to program the volume buttons just as the on/off button was? And Option 1 will be on/off and Option 2 will be volume? That's pretty funky.
post #1437 of 1561 Old 08-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't know that. Thanks! The remote control section of the 3500STBII manual isn't exactly clear about that or about those blue Option 1 and 2 buttons.

So I have to program the volume buttons just as the on/off button was? And Option 1 will be on/off and Option 2 will be volume? That's pretty funky.

The instructions should be on the back of the remote unless they changed that and took it off. You can program each of the blue buttons for whatever you wish (except setup button). It doesn't even have to be the same device.
post #1438 of 1561 Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks; that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

You have to program every button in the TV section individually. Programming the on/off function doesn't tell the remote how to control the volume. My remote came with brief instructions on the back that said to repeat the instructions for each button you wanted to program.
post #1439 of 1561 Old 08-14-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post
Thank you, I stand corrected.

So a better answer for the OP would be that he could try to get an Old version of the firmware for the Homeworx. But is that a good idea? As I recall the older versions of the f/w were very buggy.

Otherwise he should look into one of the clones, as I suggested.
I had an iView for a brief period before I could get and needed QAM. I liked its remote much better, but it was extremely flaky and I returned it.

The Mediasonic was much better and I received the major Boston channels pretty good most of the time. When the leaves came out in the spring my MOHU leaf antenna wasn't good enough.

I swapped from Comcast to FIOS mostly for financial reasons. I was pleasantly surprised FIOS in Billerica MA has lots of clear QAM. Mediasonic sent me SW Version: CL630133 131012 V13 QAM. It works, but is fairly flaky and is officially unsupported. It does let me record some TV for almost no money, so I can live with the bugs. I have hardware version 7816-ATSC-03

Some of the bugs are:

• It often forgets the names you assign to channels. They default to things like PR6610653. It makes it hard to program a recording. Fortunately when it forgets a name the program usually remains with a crappy channel name. I have a chart now to recover from this easily.

• It also forgets that I indicated to skip some channels. Most of the FIOS clear QAM channels don't interest me; there are LOTS of old TV shows.

• It does get confused and need to be rebooted a fair amount. I seem to be unconsciously learning what not to do, so reboots are getting less frequent. If there is something being broadcast I want bad, I often reboot before the recording starts. Rebooting it once a day on general principle is probably a good idea. Leaving it on all the time seems to improve reliability.

• Once in a while it forgets all the recordings scheduled.
post #1440 of 1561 Old 08-14-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO your switch from Comcast to FiOS was smart. Comcast is changing all their systems nationwide to encrypt all channels, which make boxes like the HW or iView useless on their systems. But because of their system design, FiOS doesn't need to encrypt all channels. Also, FiOS rebroadcasts PSIP on the OTA channels they rebroadcast, so on those channels you can use the EPG, timed recordings, etc. Those functions don't work on most other cable systems.

I'm an OTA user but share your frustration with the bugs, especially the second one. Even OTA, this happens to me - a lot. It seems any change to the station's channel map or channel names, no matter how minor, will trigger the HW to reload the whole channel from scratch, in the process losing any Skip or Favorite flags and restoring any deleted subchannels.

In DFW we have one station, K31GL, that's our Retro TV affiliate, and it really confuses the HW. Any change to this station and the HW weirdly loses all subchannels except 31.5 (a useless infomercial channel), and I have to manually scan channel 31 to get Retro back, skip or delete 31.5 again, and re-enter my timers for Retro. It'll be OK for a while, then K31GL will relabel another channel and I have to go through it all over again!

The iView and HW firmware have converged somewhat since the early days. From what I can tell from reports, most of the iView's more serious bugs have been fixed, and iView and HW now pretty much share the same bugs. You can even load iView firmware on a HW or vice versa, although you'll need a remote that matches the firmware you use, and there may be some other incompatibilities. Some folks load HW firmware onto iViews to disable the mostly useless display (but then they have to use the HW remote). @Klaatu58 loaded iView firmware onto his HW in order to use the nicer iView remote, and I plan on trying that myself next week.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page