Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1411 of 1424 Old 07-31-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I have an old HW-150 but it's at my in-laws' house at the moment. I may give this a try the next time my wife & I visit, possibly next month.

Just in case anyone else wants to try this, iView does sell replacement remotes: http://www.iviewus.com/default/access/remote.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1424 Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The only one worth anything is the last $10 one, the others are the very poor first remotes, not sure who would ever purchase those
post #1413 of 1424 Old 07-31-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a learning remote too! (Learns one other device.) Wonder why they sell the "good" one for less than the others?
post #1414 of 1424 Old 07-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
The only one worth anything is the last $10 one, the others are the very poor first remotes, not sure who would ever purchase those
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
It's a learning remote too! (Learns one other device.) Wonder why they sell the "good" one for less than the others?
The first 3 are for a totally different product - a DVD player. Btw, you will still encounter bugs with midnight recordings on iview software depending on which order you program your recordings. Like the previous poster, you will at times still encounter the false event conflict and need to delete recordings and program them in a different order to get them to not conflict.

Just thought I'd add that Mediasonic was the first to fix the midnight bug. They "fixed" it for the Homeworx way back in version 10 soon after the 150 was released. IView then "fixed" it in version 3 last August. Fixed is in quotes because of the remaining bug I mentioned above.

Last edited by jprc; 07-31-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #1415 of 1424 Old 07-31-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu58 View Post
Emailed
Another timer issue found today is that two schedules I set and saved suddenly lost the channels I entered. They went from 10.1 and 36.2 to a seven-digit string of random numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu58 View Post

Hate to admit it but my Warner Cable box's channel timer is ideal and has few times - if ever, malfunctioned. Especially nice is its frequency (repeat) setting: date, day, M-F or Sat-Sun.
Just curious, are you using antenna or cable?
post #1416 of 1424 Old 07-31-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Both. Because the HD signal on antenna is superior to cable, I prefer to record from that source when the program is also offered OTA.

Realized that with a PVR and a split antenna signal, it's possible to record two shows and watch a third if all three are on at the same time and if two of the shows are OTA. The gadgets enable a lot of options for not a lot of money with no monthly fees. Love the value side of them.
post #1417 of 1424 Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Btw, you will still encounter bugs with midnight recordings on iview software depending on which order you program your recordings. Like the previous poster, you will at times still encounter the false event conflict and need to delete recordings and program them in a different order to get them to not conflict.

Just thought I'd add that Mediasonic was the first to fix the midnight bug. They "fixed" it for the Homeworx way back in version 10 soon after the 150 was released. IView then "fixed" it in version 3 last August. Fixed is in quotes because of the remaining bug I mentioned above.
OK, so there are multiple "midnight" bugs. One is the false scheduling conflict - not fixed. Another is the bug fixed with HW firmware V10 and iView firmware V3; not sure what that bug was since I upgraded my first HW to V10 as soon as I got it, so I never encountered that one. Finally, there's the bug afterlife2 described: recordings spanning midnight don't stop at the scheduled time. Is that the "midnight bug" fixed by the latest iView firmware? Or is iView just talking about the original midnight bug fixed back on V3?

BTW there may be a workaround for afterlife2's bug. That would be to take advantage of another bug: that the HW's "sleep" function will interrupt a recording by shutting the HW down after 1-12 hours if no remote keys are pressed. Simply set the sleep function to force the HW to shut down after 2:05 AM.
post #1418 of 1424 Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, so there are multiple "midnight" bugs. One is the false scheduling conflict - not fixed. Another is the bug fixed with HW firmware V10 and iView firmware V3; not sure what that bug was since I upgraded my first HW to V10 as soon as I got it, so I never encountered that one. Finally, there's the bug afterlife2 described: recordings spanning midnight don't stop at the scheduled time. Is that the "midnight bug" fixed by the latest iView firmware? Or is iView just talking about the original midnight bug fixed back on V3?

BTW there may be a workaround for afterlife2's bug. That would be to take advantage of another bug: that the HW's "sleep" function will interrupt a recording by shutting the HW down after 1-12 hours if no remote keys are pressed. Simply set the sleep function to force the HW to shut down after 2:05 AM.

There is no new fix in the iview software. iView never updates their firmware page. The supposed fixes/changes listed there are almost a year old. The buggy behavior that still exists in v10 Homeworx and all versions of iview is the same as Klaatu described happening in the latest hardware/software version of the Homeworx box - that schedules will still sometimes report (falsely) that events conflict when one of the programs is spanning midnight. These need to be deleted and reprogrammed in a different order to avoid the conflict.

I'm not sure which hardware and software version afterlife has. That is the bug that was fixed in v10 homeworx and v3 iview. I don't know if a later homeworx hardware/software combo regressed that or if it's just another random bug. It could actually be related to the bug I just described but just without an actual other program being reported as a conflict. He could try (if he's up for it) deleting all his programs and scheduling them in a different order, but no guarantee it will work. If he has a lot of schedules, he may not want to. If someone was going to do that, I would suggest they might as well do a factory reset to start with a clean slate as well as long as they don't mind rescanning their channels. Someone with cable who manually scanned all their channels may not be interested in that of course.

Anyway, the same bug was fixed in both homeworx and iview. No new fix concerning this issue has been implemented on the iview. Bugs related to midnight recording still exist on both homeworx and iview but most people have managed to get them to work on both boxes by deleting and rescheduling recordings. If someone has an original homeworx box with original shipping software (pre v10) they will need to upgrade to v10. Same with the original iview box and software - upgrade to anything after v3.

Btw, iView has done the same thing that Homeworx did now with creating new hardware versions that cannot run the same software but without differentiating the model number. So, unless someone knows they have a compatible hardware/software combo, I'd be careful about running one manufacturer's FW on another's box anymore unless you have a spare one. We do know of course that the original models of each were compatible software-wise and I ran homeworx v10 on my iview for many months before iview integrated any of the recording fixes that homeworx had.
post #1419 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I dunno, I record a one hour show over midnight just about every day and don't seem to run into these issues. Don't recall how I managed to set the recording as its been awhile, perhaps through the EPG.

The unit will occasionally run on recording after being annoyed by transmitter events or signal quality issues, however. I stopped recording the local COSI outlet because something the transmitter was doing upset the PVR. I pretty much stopped recording shows on channels that may have signal quality or transmitter issues and the PVR been solid. My other brands of OTA recorders simply stop recording when faced with similar issues.

These are PVRs purchased Jan and March this year and have the latest firmware and remote.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.

Last edited by ColdCase; Yesterday at 07:10 AM.
post #1420 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

Liked: 27
JP thanks for responding. I have version 14 On mine. I tried recording after midnight a couple ways and still conflict. Where would I get v. 10 to resolve this issue?

post #1421 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
That would be great JH if someone can let us know. Tired of it going on to 7AM when it should stop at 2:05 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
JP thanks for responding. I have version 14 On mine. I tried recording after midnight a couple ways and still conflict. Where would I get v. 10 to resolve this issue?
After reading jprc's nice detailed response, I now understand there are two known midnight bugs. The first bug (run-on recordings) was apparently fixed in HW V10 et seq. (and iView V3 et seq.) so the fix should be in HW V14 as well (unless the developer screwed up and re-introduced it in V14; my newer HW has V14 so I may give this a try and see). This is also the bug you could work around (sort of) using the HW's sleep setting.

The second bug (false conflict) has never been fixed in any HW or iView firmware release, so we just have to live with it.

I wouldn't recommend putting V10 on a box that came with V14. There's some new hardware in the V14 boxes that older firmware versions aren't aware of, so doing so could disable some of the HW's video outputs. That could make it pretty tricky to switch back to V14, even if you have a copy.
post #1422 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
iView has done the same thing that Homeworx did now with creating new hardware versions that cannot run the same software but without differentiating the model number. So, unless someone knows they have a compatible hardware/software combo, I'd be careful about running one manufacturer's FW on another's box anymore unless you have a spare one. We do know of course that the original models of each were compatible software-wise and I ran homeworx v10 on my iview for many months before iview integrated any of the recording fixes that homeworx had.
I assume this is what you're referring to? From iView's firmware download page:
Quote:
READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING: Do NOT download this firmware if your 3500STBII Converter Box has a CH 3/4 switch behind it. You own a converter box that was released in a new batch that has a different chip piece that is not compatible with the box [sic; I think they meant "firmware" though]. If you do install this firmware your box will automatically shut completely off and it will not be able to turn on. Please be patient, a new firmware is being currently tested that will be compatible with your box soon.
So now there's a new iView box, with a ch 3/4 switch for the RF modulator (instead of software-controlled like the HWs and old iVews); and it requires different firmware. The firmware on iView's download page is for the older iViews (w/o the ch 3/4 switch; probably also works on older HWs that came with V3 or V10).

Anyhow, the latest iView firmware is dated March of this year; pretty recent. Since the list of fixes on their Web page is out-of-date, I wonder what they did change? Guess I need to go check the iView thread....
post #1423 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I assume this is what you're referring to? From iView's firmware download page:
So now there's a new iView box, with a ch 3/4 switch for the RF modulator (instead of software-controlled like the HWs and old iVews); and it requires different firmware. The firmware on iView's download page is for the older iViews (w/o the ch 3/4 switch; probably also works on older HWs that came with V3 or V10).

Anyhow, the latest iView firmware is dated March of this year; pretty recent. Since the list of fixes on their Web page is out-of-date, I wonder what they did change? Guess I need to go check the iView thread....
Yep, a bunch of people bricked their new iViews before they put up that message and many people still are who never went to that page but are getting firmware elsewhere, including here without reading first.

The FW you are looking at is not from March. That is just the date they finally put it on their website. It has no relation to the FW date and they refuse to change that. It's from last year.

The latest FW for the original 3500 and the first 3500STBII is v13. It added only one thing. You can now adjust the transparency of the menu/info screens in a few ways so that you can see the background picture behind it. The previous version, 12, fixed something they broke in v9, not being able to scan in physical QAM channels.

V9 was for a new hardware version II, the first version II, not the new version II with the RF switch. There are some minor hardware differences between the v1 and original vII hardware versions that do not brick the box if older software is loaded in but the software will not work properly on it. You can fortunately still access the software upgrade to get working software back on in those boxes unlike with the very latest box which cannot be recovered after loaded with FW from the older hardware versions.

Last edited by jprc; Yesterday at 12:32 PM.
post #1424 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes; I did some reading over at the iView thread. Looks like the firmware marked version 10/13 is actually V13 and was released last Dec., and aside from some QAM changes, the only change from (iView) V9 was the ability to adjust the menu transparency.

And I learned there are actually three versions of the iView box, but confusingly versions 2 and 3 are both called the 3500STBII The software on the web site will work on versions 1 and 2 but not 3. iView was just asking for trouble with that silliness.

I noticed that iView restarted their firmware version numbers with the new version 3 boxes. Mediasonic did the same, which has me wondering if the newest HW-150s with V1 firmware also have that channel 3/4 switch in back? Edit: User satpro has figured out the firmware compatibility issue. It's not the channel 3/4 switch, although that's a convenient marker for the iView boxes; it's the demodulator chip. Version 1 & 2 iView boxes, as well as HW boxes through (I think) V14 firmware, used a Samsung demodulator chip. But Samsung discontinued it, forcing all these boxes to switch to an Mstar demodulator, with corresponding new firmware. Version 3 iView boxes and HW boxes with V1 firmware use the Mstar demodulator, and loading older firmware (iView or Homeworx) will brick them.

Still haven't figured out the major differences between iView box versions 1 and 2, although I think I read that the version 1 boxes power down the USB port in standby (like the HW does) but the version 2 boxes don't. Edit: apparently that is the only difference, other than the remote control that was shipped with the box.

Sorry folks, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with all this stuff about iView; I was just trying to figure out if there might be an advantage to loading iView firmware on a HW-150. So far, the only advantages I see are the ability to:
  1. Use the iView remote (presumably including the ability to page show descriptions in the EPG)
  2. Adjust the menu transparency

But no major bug fixes, so no good reason to load iView firmware unless you really like their remote

Last edited by JHBrandt; Yesterday at 02:55 PM. Reason: Add more info
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page