Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1441 of 1596 Old 08-14-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 209
IMO your switch from Comcast to FiOS was smart. Comcast is changing all their systems nationwide to encrypt all channels, which make boxes like the HW or iView useless on their systems. But because of their system design, FiOS doesn't need to encrypt all channels. Also, FiOS rebroadcasts PSIP on the OTA channels they rebroadcast, so on those channels you can use the EPG, timed recordings, etc. Those functions don't work on most other cable systems.

I'm an OTA user but share your frustration with the bugs, especially the second one. Even OTA, this happens to me - a lot. It seems any change to the station's channel map or channel names, no matter how minor, will trigger the HW to reload the whole channel from scratch, in the process losing any Skip or Favorite flags and restoring any deleted subchannels.

In DFW we have one station, K31GL, that's our Retro TV affiliate, and it really confuses the HW. Any change to this station and the HW weirdly loses all subchannels except 31.5 (a useless infomercial channel), and I have to manually scan channel 31 to get Retro back, skip or delete 31.5 again, and re-enter my timers for Retro. It'll be OK for a while, then K31GL will relabel another channel and I have to go through it all over again!

The iView and HW firmware have converged somewhat since the early days. From what I can tell from reports, most of the iView's more serious bugs have been fixed, and iView and HW now pretty much share the same bugs. You can even load iView firmware on a HW or vice versa, although you'll need a remote that matches the firmware you use, and there may be some other incompatibilities. Some folks load HW firmware onto iViews to disable the mostly useless display (but then they have to use the HW remote). @Klaatu58 loaded iView firmware onto his HW in order to use the nicer iView remote, and I plan on trying that myself next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1596 Old 08-14-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz0 View Post
Hi.. I would like to know if this devise has an update software driver that is QAM PSIP Type that located sd channels
Go to the first post in this thread; there you'll find a link to Mediasonic's forum for the HW-150.

Using Mediasonic's forum you can contact them to request QAM-enabled firmware for your HW. Let them know your current firmware version (from the System Information screen) so they can send you the right QAM version.

Be aware that QAM is not officially supported on the HW. If it doesn't do what you want, you're out of luck. (You can still use the HW for OTA channels though, even with QAM-enabled firmware installed.)

Your reference to "SD channels" confuses me. QAM channels are digital, and can be either SD or HD. If you're looking for a STB to tune analog channels (which are always SD), the HW cannot do that.
post #1443 of 1596 Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the info comparing the iView and Mediasonic. A brief scan yesterday made me start to think about switching to iView firmware or maybe just buy an iView. It sounds like what I already have is about the best I can expect if I want QAM.

I mostly solved the remote problem using a learning remote I had lying around, but the user interface is still horrible.

Getting a separate box that doesn't respond to the other's remote and vice-versa could be a good thing. I could then record two shows at once and have more flexibility.

FIOS around here doesn't have the electron program guide.

It is sounding like if you don't need or want QAM, you are better off with the HW. It was much more stable with the firmware without QAM.
post #1444 of 1596 Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsair View Post
Getting a separate box that doesn't respond to the other's remote and vice-versa could be a good thing. I could then record two shows at once and have more flexibility.
That's a good point. If you want two boxes in the same room, you're going to need one of each (or at least one using the other's firmware and remote) so you can control them separately.

I used to suggest a trick using polarized light filters for this situation, but I discovered that most polarized filters don't work on infrared light, so my trick doesn't work
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsair View Post
FIOS around here doesn't have the electron program guide.
That's too bad; I knew they didn't have a PSIP guide for "cable" channels but I was told that they rebroadcast the OTA guide on OTA channels. Guess that's not true everywhere
post #1445 of 1596 Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Newbie here, sorry.

I ordered a few of these PVR boxes from Amazon...

One of the HW-150PVR came with v1 and the rest were v14. Is there any differences? and can I (or should I) flash the v1 to the v14? All the remote controls are the same.

Also a side note: any of you guys who ordered from Amazon got a HW-150PVR in a plain brown box with a label that says Homeworx and a check mark next to the name? Mine didn't come in retail boxes with pretty shiny pictures,...and that concerns me.
post #1446 of 1596 Old 08-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0is0 View Post
One of the HW-150PVR came with v1 and the rest were v14. Is there any differences? and can I (or should I) flash the v1 to the v14? All the remote controls are the same.

Also a side note: any of you guys who ordered from Amazon got a HW-150PVR in a plain brown box with a label that says Homeworx and a check mark next to the name? Mine didn't come in retail boxes with pretty shiny pictures,...and that concerns me.
My HW also was bought from Amazon. It came in the standard, graphics-laden retail box with V1. According to HW support, V1 is the latest and there is no update for it. I installed iView's V3 on it just to use their superior remote and everything works fine for recording Over the Air material. Can't speak to recording cable.
post #1447 of 1596 Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Newbie here, sorry.
No need to apologize. Newbies are welcome.

Quote:
One of the HW-150PVR came with v1 and the rest were v14. Is there any differences?
Yes; they use different demodulator chips internally.

Quote:
... and can I (or should I) flash the v1 to the v14? All the remote controls are the same.
No! This will ruin your HW-150PVR. Each firmware version is written specifically for the demodulator chip inside.

Quote:
I've ordered two and both came in shiny retail boxes. It's possible yours were returns; there are a few bugs with these, so they do get sent back occasionally. But if they basically work, you probably didn't get a defective box - just an unwanted one.
post #1448 of 1596 Old 08-17-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
@Klaatu58 loaded iView firmware onto his HW in order to use the nicer iView remote, and I plan on trying that myself next week.
Just completed the upgrade. I retrieved my old HW (the one that came with V3 firmware) from my in-laws and put iView V13 firmware on it. Seems to work fine so far. Notable differences:
  • Obviously, it uses the iView remote now. This cost me $10 but I like it better than the HW remote.
  • There's a new "transparent" option on the Picture menu, which lets the TV video "shine through" the menus somewhat. Not a big deal but kind of cool.
  • There's a "Sort" option on the Program menu, but it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.
  • The iView firmware is QAM-enabled. Of course, there are QAM-enabled versions of each version of HW firmware too, so that's no big deal.
  • There's an odd option for "Antenna Power" on the Channel Search menu. If you turn this On on the HW it just turns itself back Off. Not sure if it does anything on iViews.
  • The time zone settings on the Time menu are different. There's a new "Time Offset" setting that can be either Auto or Manual. If you set it to Auto, you then select your time zone (Eastern, Central, etc.) with the Country Region option. (Options vary according to the country selected on the Channel Search menu.) If you select Manual, you then select your time zone by its offset from GMT, including half-hour time zone offsets for often-forgotten areas like Newfoundland/Labrador in Canada.
  • As previously mentioned, the Information screen on the System menu says Model: iVIEW-3500STBII. The firmware doesn't know it's running on a HW.
  • One very minor drawback: the channel up/down buttons on the HW front panel don't work with the iView firmware. You must use the remote.

I had earlier loaded HW V13 firmware on this box to take advantage of the new HW remote layout. This worked, but disabled my audio outputs. The iView FW re-enabled them. I've confirmed that HDMI, component, and composite outputs all work. (I have no way to test the coaxial digital output.) But this may not be true if your HW came with V13 or V14 firmware.

So far, I've seen only one operational difference compared to my other HW with V14. The V14 HW has a bug with the EPG screen: if you use the left/right arrow keys to bring up a different channel's EPG, it doesn't work. You have to exit the EPG screen and bring it back up to see the other channel's EPG. The iView V13 firmware doesn't seem to have this bug; the left/right arrow keys bring up other channels' EPGs as expected.

Given these results, I can recommend the iView remote and firmware as a cheap ($10 for the remote; firmware is free) minor upgrade for older HW-150PVRs that came with V3 or V10 firmware. If you have a HW-150PVR with V1, @Klaatu58 has confirmed that iView V3 firmware (not yet on iView's website, but hopefully soon) will work with it.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-18-2014 at 08:17 AM.
post #1449 of 1596 Old 08-17-2014, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Just completed the upgrade. I retrieved my old HW (the one that came with V3 firmware) from my in-laws and put iView V13 firmware on it. Seems to work fine so far. Notable differences:

There's a new "transparent" option on the Picture menu, which lets the TV video "shine through" the menus somewhat. Not a big deal but kind of cool.
There's a "Sort" option on the Program menu, but it doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.
One very minor drawback: the channel up/down buttons on the HW front panel don't work with the iView firmware. You must use the remote.
The transparent option is rather distracting. Reminds me of transparent windows on PC desktops running Vista.
The sort options (LCN, ONID, Service Name, and Service ID) aren't explained anywhere. Left mine on LCN.
Channel up/down buttons on the HW front panel no longer function as mentioned. Good thing the iView remote is a pleasure to operate.

Did you program your remote's blue buttons? Noticed on mine that the VOL+ has to be pressed for each increment up whereas the VOL- doesn't. The TV/AV button is confusing too.

Another interesting thing with both PVR remotes is that they control a Cambridge SoundWorks Oontz XL external speaker attached via a Toslink Digital Optical Patch Cord (from the TV) when using the PVR that is controllable otherwise only manually. Go figure.
post #1450 of 1596 Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu58 View Post
The transparent option is rather distracting. Reminds me of transparent windows on PC desktops running Vista.
Transparent menus aren't for everyone. Luckily you can set Transparent to Off; then they look like they did with the HW firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu58 View Post
Did you program your remote's blue buttons? Noticed on mine that the VOL+ has to be pressed for each increment up whereas the VOL- doesn't. The TV/AV button is confusing too.
I did. The power button worked the first time but I had to reprogram the others several times before the remote "got it." You might try reprogramming your Vol+ and see if you can get it to work when held down continuously; mine does.

I programmed TV/AV to my TV's "Input" function, so I could use the remote to set the TV to Component (which is how my HW and TV ar connected). Also set Option 1 to the TV's "Aspect" and Option 2 to the TV's "Mute" button.
post #1451 of 1596 Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Re: iView FW

The sort options stand for the following but have always been useless anyway:

LNC- LOGICAL CHANNEL NUMBER
ONID- ORIGINAL NETWORK ID
SERVICE NAME- NAME BROADCAST CHANNEL
SERVICE ID- DIGITAL CHANNEL NUMBER

I already mentioned in the iview thread, but will post here for those that don't read it, that the antenna power option is to power an amplifier.

All info on the Information screen is programmed into the software. It will even change the Hardware Rev info. It is not reading any data from the actual hardware.

Like I mentioned previously, you can program the TV/AV button for whatever you wish.
post #1452 of 1596 Old 08-17-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

There are a few buttons on the iView remote that aren't on the Homeworx remote:
  • TV/Radio: apparently switches between "TV" stations and "Radio" stations. But does anyone even have any "Radio" stations?
  • Aspect: Switches the DVR's aspect setting without having to go through the menu. I just leave mine at "16:9 pillar box" so I don't use it. Edit: This button also toggles the "Repeat" option in the Movie (and, I assume, PVR) playback screen; but of course there's already a "Repeat" button to do that.
  • Return: goes back to the last station; same as "Recall" on the HW remote.
  • Schd: brings up the recording schedule; also in the Video and PVR screens, toggles to full screen. Same as "Timer" and "Hold" on the HW remote (i.e., Schd replaces both buttons).
  • PVR: Goes directly to the PVR menu. (With the HW remote you must first press USB then select the PVR menu from there.)

The PVR button is a useful shortcut. The others, not so much; except some screens use the new buttons in place of the buttons used on the HW remote. May take a little getting used to, but should be OK with practice.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-25-2014 at 09:50 PM.
post #1453 of 1596 Old 08-17-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
I already mentioned in the iview thread, but will post here for those that don't read it, that the antenna power option is to power an amplifier.
Has that been confirmed? (With an actual iView, of course; the HW apparently doesn't have that function.) Which amp does it work with? There's no standard for power injectors; each amp requires a different voltage, and I know of at least one that uses polarity to switch an FM trap in or out.
post #1454 of 1596 Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM

Liked: 10
PS3 and HW-150PVR?

Is there any good way to feed 1920 x 1080 with raw audio from the HW-150PVR to the PS3? (I think I need a wired connection as the wireless doesn't seem to stream well with that quality feed). I could even deal with converting the .mts files to another format, but the PS3 only reads FAT and FAT32. Due to file size, I need to use NTFS. Each hour long recording is six or seven gigs.
Thanks.
post #1455 of 1596 Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you need to do one of two things:
  • Break your recordings up into shorter chunks
  • Re-encode the video so it fits in 4 GB.

The first option is easiest. In fact I think the HW-150PVR will do this automatically if you connect a FAT32 drive to it. I haven't tried it myself though.

Since you've already recorded the longer files, though, you'll have to break them up yourself. I'd probably use AVIDemux on a PC, since it's free. Just load the recording, pick a logical point to break it in half, such as the 30-minute commercial break, delete everything after that point, and save your 1st half on a FAT32 drive. Then reload, delete everything before the break point, and save your 2nd half on your FAT32 drive.

The second option will take a bit longer. Does the PS2 understand .MP4 (h.264 video) files? If so, I'd probably re-encode the .mts files on a PC with Handbrake (another free tool). Make sure to set Handbrake to "Auto Passthru" on the audio tab so it just copies DD 5.1 to the output file instead of downmixing to stereo. That should get them down under 4 GB without needing to break them up.
post #1456 of 1596 Old 08-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What is the maximum hard drive size for storing recorded tv show on the HW150? I heard it was 2 terrabytes. I have such a drive that I can repurpose to use with my HW150.
post #1457 of 1596 Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM

So my tuner went out on my TV and I picked up both the iView and the HW-150PVR and I am surprised how much of a clone both boxes are. I do like the iView remote better an I am leaning toward keeping the iView is there any advantage to the HW-150? On the surface it appears no.
post #1458 of 1596 Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM

So I haven't tried your suggestions yet, but I did find a workaround that seems to be pretty good:

1. connect the external HD to a windows computer
2. use windows to rename all the recordings to usable names
3. copy the files over to the computer
4. use PS3 media server (http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/) to stream the .mts files to the PS3.
5. I use the "unencoded" choice of playback to get the audio to sync correctly

Tried all of this last night and it worked great.

To answer your question, the PS3 does read MP4 files well.

I'll experiment with your suggestions in the future.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Sounds like you need to do one of two things:
  • Break your recordings up into shorter chunks
  • Re-encode the video so it fits in 4 GB.

The first option is easiest. In fact I think the HW-150PVR will do this automatically if you connect a FAT32 drive to it. I haven't tried it myself though.

Since you've already recorded the longer files, though, you'll have to break them up yourself. I'd probably use AVIDemux on a PC, since it's free. Just load the recording, pick a logical point to break it in half, such as the 30-minute commercial break, delete everything after that point, and save your 1st half on a FAT32 drive. Then reload, delete everything before the break point, and save your 2nd half on your FAT32 drive.

The second option will take a bit longer. Does the PS2 understand .MP4 (h.264 video) files? If so, I'd probably re-encode the .mts files on a PC with Handbrake (another free tool). Make sure to set Handbrake to "Auto Passthru" on the audio tab so it just copies DD 5.1 to the output file instead of downmixing to stereo. That should get them down under 4 GB without needing to break them up.

Last edited by mk3000; 08-23-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: to clarify that the PS3 media server is what I am using and add the link
post #1459 of 1596 Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaperk View Post
So my tuner went out on my TV and I picked up both the iView and the HW-150PVR and I am surprised how much of a clone both boxes are. I do like the iView remote better an I am leaning toward keeping the iView is there any advantage to the HW-150? On the surface it appears no.
Nope, aside from the remotes there really isn't much difference. There are some slight hardware differences, but there's more difference between older and newer boxes than between brands.

The HW doesn't have the iView's display. That should be an advantage for the iView, but since the firmware designers never did anything useful with the display (it only displays the iView's internal channel number, not the actual channel number), most folks just find the iView display annoying.

The newest iView boxes have a channel 3/4 switch. The HW and the older iViews control this via software, but have a "loop through" option to turn the channel 3/4 output completely off and pass the RF input straight through to the output. I suspect the newer iViews may lack loop through, or may only loop through when the iView is in standby. Of course you can simply use a splitter if you need loop through and it doesn't work.

OTOH, the HW and newer iViews save power by turning off the USB port when in standby. The older iViews kept the USB port live all the time, causing your drive to spin needlessly.

It's been reported that the iView's USB port tends to wear out over time, causing intermittent disconnections. If you keep the iView, I recommend you get a short USB extension cable, plug that into the port and leave it. Just plug/unplug your HDD into the extension cable. That should prolong the life of the iView's USB port. Probably a good idea on the HW too, but folks haven't reported as much trouble with intermittent disconnections on the HW. Its USB port may be a little better quality.

Which firmware versions do your boxes have? That's the easiest way for the folks on this forum to tell exactly what your boxes have inside.
post #1460 of 1596 Old 08-21-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
OTOH, the HW and newer iViews save power by turning off the USB port when in standby. The older iViews kept the USB port live all the time, causing your drive to spin needlessly.
The OP should probably check into this more if it's a concern. I have a older(original few months actually) iView and I can confirm it does cut USB power when off(and this is the only way I'd want it). I thought it was the newer iViews that always kept power to the USB port.....note even with power to the USB port many USB HDDs will automatically spin down after a period time. For example several of my USB drives, even with my iView on will spin down after ~5 minutes of not playing or recording, and again this is the way I'd prefer it to work, no use spinning the HDD if I'm only watching the tuner, at least in my mind.
Also while I agree the iView's display is mostly useless it does give one an approximate idea if the iView is on and tuned to a channel. After a while one gets to know that(in my area) CBS is C006 and ABC is C007, too bad really that the displayed channel wasn't the actual channel instead of just the number of the channel in the lineup.

Last edited by jjeff; 08-21-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #1461 of 1596 Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
The OP should probably check into this more if it's a concern. I have a older(original few months actually) iView and I can confirm it does cut USB power when off(and this is the only way I'd want it). I thought it was the newer iViews that always kept power to the USB port.....
I didn't want to make my answer too complicated, so I simplified it, maybe a bit too much. From reading the iView thread, I understood that the original 3500STB did cut power to the USB port. But they changed it when they came out with the 3500STBII so that it didn't cut power any more. Then when they came out with the newest 3500STBII's (with the channel 3/4 switch) they changed it back to cut power again.

I left the original 3500STB out of my response since I was pretty sure he received a 3500STBII; I just didn't know whether it had the channel 3/4 switch or not.

But I have no first-hand experience with the iView and it's possible I misread the iView thread. Certainly the OP should check his iView for himself.

Anyway, AFAIK all versions of the HW-150 cut power to the USB port in standby.
post #1462 of 1596 Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
That makes sense, I doubt anyone will be currently purchasing the very first iViews, at least new, so your statement was probably just fine
post #1463 of 1596 Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Also while I agree the iView's display is mostly useless it does give one an approximate idea if the iView is on and tuned to a channel. After a while one gets to know that(in my area) CBS is C006 and ABC is C007, too bad really that the displayed channel wasn't the actual channel instead of just the number of the channel in the lineup.
That reminds me: I've always wondered if it's possible to change the displayed channel numbers by using the "Move" function on the Program Edit screen.

I never saw much use for it on the HW, but I wonder if it could be used on the iView to line up some of the channels so their "iView channel" matches their actual channel.

For instance, in DFW I'd probably move no-account channels like 25 and 38 into slots 1 and 3, so channel 2 would really be C002, 4 would really be C004, 5 would be C005 (and 5-2 would be C006), etc.
post #1464 of 1596 Old 08-24-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just purchased one online last night, but can anyone explain why the pics at Amazon show a "Dolby Digital" logo on the front, while the Newegg pics do not? Just curious, I understand the unit allows HDMI audio pass-through so my receiver can decode the signal for OTA Dolby broadcast. The unit itself, from my research, will only decode stereo. Where, then, does "Dolby Digital" certification come into play?
post #1465 of 1596 Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My unit passes an OTA 5.1 audio/Dolby digital. I assume that's why.
post #1466 of 1596 Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartmanDDT View Post
Just purchased one online last night, but can anyone explain why the pics at Amazon show a "Dolby Digital" logo on the front, while the Newegg pics do not? Just curious, I understand the unit allows HDMI audio pass-through so my receiver can decode the signal for OTA Dolby broadcast. The unit itself, from my research, will only decode stereo. Where, then, does "Dolby Digital" certification come into play?
All ATSC tuners, including this one, support Dolby Digital audio because that's part of the ATSC standard. The term "Dolby Digital" includes mono and stereo as well as 5.1 channel audio. (Of course, you can only get 5.1 channel audio via HDMI or the coaxial digital output; the analog outputs are obviously stereo and the channel 3/4 RF modulator outputs monaural only.) That's just how DTV audio is broadcast in North America now.

But Mediasonic has changed the hardware a few times since they started selling the Homeworx, and those changes included adding the Dolby Digital logo to the front panel. Hence the different photos. I have a Homeworx both with and without the logo. Both work identically as far as audio is concerned.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-25-2014 at 09:39 PM.
post #1467 of 1596 Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
the channel 3/4 RF modulator outputs monaural only.) That's just how DTV audio is broadcast in North America now.
I'm still mildly shocked if this is the sorry state of things now. Hasn't RF had the capacity to deliver stereo sound since the '80s? Why the step backwards?
post #1468 of 1596 Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Ran into an annoying bug yesterday. I often re-encode my files from .ts to .mp4 (using Handbrake on my PC) to save HDD space. But Handbrake sometimes changes the vertical resolution of the video slightly; for example, an SD video .ts file will have 480 lines, but the .mp4 made from it will sometimes have 482 or 484 lines.

When played back on my PC this doesn't cause any problem, but if played back on the Homeworx with the aspect set to "16:9 pillar box," the video playback is extremely narrow and unwatchable.

I guess the workaround is to keep the vertical resolution the same when transcoding, but I haven't yet figured out how to get Handbrake to do this.
post #1469 of 1596 Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Maybe if you select the "strict" aspect ratio setting in Handbrake it will stop allowing you to use non-mod16 values. It's odd that it would change the resolution on its own.

As for the logos, it's probably a marketing thing. They figure if people see the name Dolby and/or the company's logo that they will think the product is cooler and/or more official looking, because people recognise the name "Dolby" and not the name "Mediasonic".
post #1470 of 1596 Old 08-26-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I did figure out what Handbrake was doing: by default it scans your source file for unused pixels around the edges of the video, and automatically sets itself to crop them off. And it so happens that several of my recordings have a few unused (black) pixels at the left and/or right edge. I wouldn't normally notice since they're next to the black pillar box, and it's only 2 or 4 pixels.

But instead of just reducing the output file to, say, 716x480, by default Handbrake scales the picture back up to, say, 720x482 (because you set the output resolution by width, not height).

So that's what's going on, leaving me a couple of workarounds: either set the cropping values to all zeros, thus disabling cropping; or set the modulus to 16, since it won't go past 480 unless it goes all the way to 496, which I expect would rarely happen. Edit: A third option, keeping the cropping but reducing the width to keep the height at 480, does not work. A Knight Rider episode recorded from Cozi gets cropped way down because of the screwy way it's broadcast in DFW; it doesn't play correctly at either 540x480 or the 704x622 Handbrake normally defaults to (although it plays fine both ways on my PC).

Still, it's annoying that the HW reacts so badly to a few extra scan lines in a recording. I'll have to re-transcode several recordings to get around it. Oh, well, what did I expect for only $40?

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-27-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page